Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on August 23, 2013 by Allahpundit

Arizona senator Jeff Flake became the latest Republican to voice his opposition to shutting down the federal government in an effort to defund Obamacare.

“There’s a move by my Republican colleagues to use the continuing resolution to defund Obamacare,” Flake said at a local Chamber of Commerce breakfast this week. “I would love to defund Obamacare, but the continuing resolution is not the mechanism.”

He continued to assert that the health-care law will “be a continual drag of the economy” and that recent delays show it is “falling on its own weight.”

***

House Speaker John A. Boehner said Thursday that he plans to avert a government shutdown at the end of September by passing a “short-term” budget bill that maintains sharp automatic spending cuts, known as the sequester…

[B]y making clear his intention to keep the government open, Boehner signaled that he is not inclined to stage a white-knuckle showdown over the fate of Obamacare right when lawmakers return to Washington on Sept. 9 after the summer break.

***

While Boehner did not explicitly rule out using the CR for an Obamacare fight, other sources on the call said it was clear he preferred not to use the spending bill to draw a line in the sand. “He didn’t rule it out, but indicated to members that defund through CR is not the best strategy,” a second source said…

On Obamacare strategy:

“We will also continue to implement the plan to stop Obamacare that I outlined last month. The delays the administration has been forced to implement in the health-care law have given us a golden opportunity to talk about fairness: “If big business gets relief from the president’s health-care law, families and small businesses should, too.” This message strikes a chord with Americans. When people hear it, it resonates. The president has already signed seven bills delaying or repealing parts of his health-care law. We’re going to keep the pressure on the president and Senate to act on the delay bills that passed the House in July with significant bipartisan support. You may have seen Shelly Moore Capito do this in Saturday’s GOP weekly address. We’re going to keep holding votes that chip away at the legislative coalition the president is using to force Obamacare on the nation.”

***

Republicans are looking ahead to their other major opportunity this fall, when the Treasury hits the debt ceiling in October or November. Reuters reported Tuesday night that House leadership was considering using that point “as leverage to try to delay the law’s implementation”; the Huffington Post spoke to an aide from majority leader Eric Cantor’s office who hinted at a similar strategy, saying, it’s “not repeal” but “potentially the individual mandate delay and codifying the business mandate delay — and perhaps other aspects” that they’re looking at…

Why exactly House leadership is insisting on moving this fight to the debt ceiling rather than the continuing resolution isn’t clear, and does present a problem if they’re serious about trying to get an Obamacare delay: Klein is exactly right that the debt ceiling is a much bigger bomb to set than the CR (though next time Republicans really do threaten to shut down the government, you can bet liberals will compare it to a lot worse than a case of the flu). Thus, House leadership is almost definitely not actually willing to let it go off, because they understand the economic consequences could well be as bad as Klein says they would be; their strategy resides on convincing Democrats that they can’t control their own caucus.

Thus, it’s not even clear the debt-ceiling threshold is actually a politically credible threat anymore for Republicans, and they capitulated on it, albeit for a shorter period of time, last time it came up – so why pick the Obamacare fight over it rather than government funding?

***

Meadows says he would back an attempt to delay the implementation of Obamacare by linking it to a debt ceiling hike. “I’ve gone out of my way to say this is one strategy and about 80 of us believe in it, but I’m open to others. Leadership has a concern, as do I—they don’t want side effects that would hurt people, and a government shutdown could do that,” he says. “It’s overwhelming in my town halls—they’re saying we’ve got to do something, we’ve got to stop this, whether it’s [my] strategy or another one.”…

In some respects, including Obamacare in the negotiations this fall is a fight Republicans win just by having it. Much of the reporting out of Washington in coming weeks will focus on the struggle over the budget and the debt ceiling. By adding Obamacare to that debate, Republicans will force the White House—and vulnerable Democrats in Congress—to defend the law at precisely the time they’d like to avoid it. Even if Republicans “lose” in this scenario—if Obama refuses to consider delaying any more of Obamacare—at a minimum they will have bought leverage for other parts of the negotiation and provided voters with a clear reminder of who owns the coming chaos.

***

A swelling coalition of conservative activists—card-carrying members of the “repeal ObamaCare” campaign—are lighting up the movement with a different approach. The plan aims to leverage public support, play on Democrat weaknesses, and, most notably, sidestep a shutdown fight that would damage the GOP even as it failed to kill the law. Meet the “Delay coalition.”

The Delay strategy is at least aimed at an achievable goal. Its outlines are contained in a letter engineered by Heather Higgins, CEO of Independent Women’s Voice. The letter was crafted with the aid of influential repeal activists—Phil Kerpen at American Commitment, Grover Norquist and Ryan Ellis at Americans for Tax Reform, the Galen Institute’s Grace-Marie Turner, Jim Capretta, Ken Hoagland, Avik Roy, the list rolls on—and now has more than 40 signatures. The letter calls on congressional Republican leaders to use one of this fall’s legislative fights to impose a one-year delay of ObamaCare’s individual mandate, exchange subsidies and taxes.

The political calculus is that delay, unlike defund, pushes Democrats to do something that many are already inclined to do. The president himself has endorsed delay for key parts of the bill—the employer mandate, out-of-pocket-caps, income verification requirements. Unions, the bedrock of the liberal base, are demanding wholesale changes in the law. Vulnerable Senate Democrats know the ObamaCare exchanges are a pending disaster, and they are terrified of political fallout. Twenty-two House Democrats in July voted with Republicans to delay the individual mandate.

An ObamaCare delay, the coalition argues, is also in line with public opinion. Whereas shutdown would prove a complex and messy PR job, the public is already highly educated on the big ObamaCare issues. A majority opposes provisions like the individual mandate, and is worried by the exchanges. The president’s own delays have handed Republicans powerful messaging tools. They can enlist the public to pressure Democrats to grant individuals the same mandate reprieve Mr. Obama has gifted to business, and to delay exchanges that lack the verification and security procedures necessary to protect taxpayers and confidential information.

***

Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean on Thursday described Republican Sen. Ted Cruz and others who support threatening a government shutdown in order to defund Obamacare as “irresponsible” and “petty, radical-right people.”

“We can do better this, and I think the American voters are going to throw these people out,” he said on CNN’s “The Lead with Jake Tapper.” “If they keep doing this, the impossible may become possible. We could take back the House in 2014.”

In Texas this week, Cruz is holding town halls rallying supporters around the idea of urging Congress to strip money for the president’s signature health care plan before voting on the next funding measure in September.

But Dean argued “people do not want to put up with this kind of stuff” and “it’s about time Ted Cruz started thinking about America and not himself.”

***

If anything, Republicans want their party to be more conservative, the Pew poll finds.

Given the choice between a more moderate course and a more conservative one, 54 percent choose a more conservative one, while 41 percent choose moderation.

And asked about whether their party has compromised too much, too little or just the right amount, Republicans split into three pretty equal camps. Just 29 percent say it hasn’t compromised enough…

As we’ve written before, if you’re a GOP leader or a potential presidential candidate, we’re not sure what you take away from these numbers — apart from that it’s probably best to err on the side of being more conservative.

***

“[N]ow what we’ve got is Republicans talking about the idea that they would shut down the government — bad for the economy, bad for not just people who work for the government, but all the contractors who — and the defense folks and everybody who is impacted by the services that they receive from the federal government, we should shut that down, because Republicans, after having taken 40 votes to try to get rid of Obamacare, see this as their last gasp.

Nobody thinks that’s good for the middle class. So the question is ultimately, if you are putting the American people first, if you are prioritizing them, then this shouldn’t be that difficult. And I’ve made this argument to my Republican friends privately, and, by the way, sometimes they say to me privately, ‘I agree with you, but I’m worried about a primary from, you know, somebody in the Tea Party back in my district,’ or, ‘I’m worried about what Rush Limbaugh is going to say about me on the radio. And so you got to understand, I’m — it’s really difficult.’”

***

***

Click the image to listen.

ml

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Axe on August 24, 2013 at 2:03 AM

:) Chardonnay and I think you’re most welcome.

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Even axe has been sweet to me..
must be the moon. ;)

bazil9 on August 24, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I’m always sweet to you. :) You’re b9. I’m all about b9. I’ll spin you dome dmode if I could remember how.

Night Schad, Ken. :)

Axe on August 24, 2013 at 2:06 AM

KCB on August 24, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Goodnight, Ken. Sleep well.:)

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2013 at 2:07 AM

* I’d spin you some dmode

lol

Axe on August 24, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Bmore on August 24, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Goodnight, Bmore. Sleep well. :)

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2013 at 2:08 AM

That evidence is tainted with nymph DNA. From frolicking. Oh well looks like it don’t count.

SparkPlug on August 24, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Even axe has been sweet to me..
must be the moon. ;)

bazil9 on August 24, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Must be the girl!

KCB on August 24, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Nite, B,Ken, Schad-again. :]
Enter Sandman.

bazil9 on August 24, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Midnight Blues – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

Goodnight, Paladin. Sleep well. :)

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2013 at 2:09 AM

The GOP needs to send the RINOS to a comfy preserve and put some people who know how to fight- linguistically as well as legislatively- in the forefront.

Articulate, pissed-off patriots ready to castigate the cretins, mock the Machiavellians, tar the (self-congratulating while self-enriching) traitors, and geld the lily-livered.

The posturing of the current top crop is crap.

profitsbeard on August 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Anti-Control on August 24, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Hah, I’m not.

I don’t hold that against Christie, though.

Nite Ken…glad you’re not banned (what a stupid word).

Night all HA night owls.

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Nite Jackie…and fight sharia, always. It’s worth dying against it.

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2013 at 2:13 AM

I liked that, too. As old as that song is it was a recent pick-up for me. I heard it in the closing credits of Velvet Goldmine the last time I watched it.

I figure that you are familiar with all my usual playlist. I don’t know if you’ll like this one but I got stuck on it from the first time I heard it:

Echobelly – What You Deserve

Another song I picked up from closing credits (that I really love) is:

Angie Mattson – Cold Soul

Kind of whiny … but I still love it. What can I say? :)

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM

No apologizing for what we like! :)

That was a little “modern” compared to what I like most, but it’s good for what it is.

Nice. I listened to that song and another one on the page. Eve’s Plumb reminds of this band.

Die Like Someone

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM

That’s more my style – I liked that & her voice a lot. I hear some Blondie there, too.

Blondie – “Sunday Girl” (1979 Midnight Special)

Anti-Control on August 24, 2013 at 2:13 AM

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

Goodnight, Paladin. Sleep well. :)

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Night, graceful Jackie. :)

The posturing of the current top crop is crap.

profitsbeard on August 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Agreed. It’s a farce. And it isn’t a funny farce — just insulting.

Axe on August 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM

@axe
for you.
A b9 all time fave.

bazil9 on August 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Nite J!

bazil9 on August 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Yeah……I know I’m late…….but this is cool:

Obama: “Waaaaah. Limbaugh won’t let me be a dictator.” What a joke!…

williamg on August 24, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Hah, I’m not.

I never thought so!

I don’t hold that against Christie, though.

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2013 at 2:12 AM

haha my ex-wife was very overweight when we started dating, so no worries! :) (I knew she didn’t like her condition, which is why I accepted it – I couldn’t ever date a woman who would be content about that…)

Anti-Control on August 24, 2013 at 2:20 AM

@axe
for you.
A b9 all time fave.

bazil9 on August 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Will be jammin. :) And walking around. –Need to walk around. Not sure why. I don’t remember needing to be anywhere. I dunno. I’ll check places and see if that’s where I need to be.

Axe on August 24, 2013 at 2:21 AM

The posturing of the current top crop is crap.

profitsbeard on August 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

+ 100 million

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Yeah……I know I’m late…….but this is cool:

Obama: “Waaaaah. Limbaugh won’t let me be a dictator.” What a joke!…

williamg on August 24, 2013 at 2:18 AM

The whining from his WH never stops – what a manipulative dumb@ass he is!

“Bring It on Back, still like rock ‘n’ roll…”

Anti-Control on August 24, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Blondie – “Sunday Girl” (1979 Midnight Special)

Anti-Control on August 24, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Nice to wrap up all the Blondie-like bands with the real thing.

I’ll leave you with a trippy little number:

Midnight Movies – Just To Play

Nite all.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 24, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Speakin’ of Rock ‘n’ Roll……..I like Buddy Holly!…….

williamg on August 24, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Me too (Weezer as well – and please don’t forget The Crickets! :))

The Crickets – “I Fought the Law” (original version)

The Rolling Stones – “Not Fade Away”

Anti-Control on August 24, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I may not be able to comment much in the next day, but I wanted to drop in before going to bed to say…

Happy Weekend, Patriots!

Go Ted Cruz!

Keep Up the Fight!

bluegill on August 24, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Now off I go

bluegill on August 24, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Hello Hot Gas folks…I never comment because one or more of you always seems to articulate my thoughts better than I at the moment when they form….bishop, scrumpy, ALT, et al…been coming here for a few years now and just wanted to say Thanks! You always put a smile on my face and have given me hope that we might not be as screwed as it seems sometimes…

But seven percent owes me a couple drinks for spewing good scotch after reading some of those extremely funny observations / remarks… Good times people!

Rhino Circus on August 24, 2013 at 5:02 AM

We aren’t going to change policy via the CR or the debt ceiling. We can force some austerity, some cuts in the process which is a positive, but we aren’t going to overturn ObamaCare that way.

And we shouldn’t. It’s the wrong way. We’ve always stood for the proper processes, it’s the Democrats who skirt the rules.

Elections matter. Obama and Democrats won, and won enough to ram through ObamaCare and other awful stuff. But the proper remedy is repeal, and for that we need the Senate and the White House. Using budget or debt ceiling showdowns to sneak in our policy preferences won’t work. AND it is an abuse of the process.

We have to be better than that, to hold true to the proper constitutional procedures even when they inconvenience us and cause harm to the nation, because the alternative is the capriciousness of the empowered elite – the very cause for our Constitution.

Adjoran on August 24, 2013 at 6:17 AM

So there will be a continuing resolution to fund the government again… 4 years in a row. Why because there has been no budget for 4 years. Why has there been no budget. Because Harry Reid wants the spending level of 2009 (including the stimulus) to continue forever.

CR’s are based off the previous year with a budget, plus inflation factors. The last year there was a budget there was also the stimulus, so that gets included too.

The only decreases have been through minor spending cut wins by the GOP House.

The only way to stop this nonsense is to get rid of Harry Reid and that requires a GOP Senate in 2015.

Dasher on August 24, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Good night, John-Boy! Good night, Grandma!

Cheesy stuff.

Barf!

Sherman1864 on August 24, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Time to give up the GOP-Gonadless Old Party.We need a party that will actually fight for conservative policies.Obama was right-you don’t bring a knife to a gun fight.We are engaged in a battle for the survival of the United States as a capitalist superpower.We can’t bring the GOP to this battle,because it just won’t fight back.The GOP must be destroyed before we can beat the leftists.

redware on August 24, 2013 at 7:42 AM

On Obama, and Obama Care:

Thing is Obama is the one who had the “con” run on him.

His whole life has and will be spent on this useless tilting at impossible windmills of long term redistribution of wealth and the marxist cause of impossible utopias impossible to fund out of other peoples lives of work.

He was lied to as a child by Davis and the others of the commie way, lied to in high school by his mirror and the drugs, lied to by the easy ride of his Harvard miseducation, and lied to by George Soros’s evil use of his skills.

He may “get it” in his final days when old and slow with weak knees and bad hips that not even new $1,000,000 joints and new livers can fix. Some get it in those last long moments.

Why did even I fall for that redistribution con, hell they used me,,,shit, shit, shit… to ,,,,,,, late,,,,,,, now.

like that

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 24, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Dasher on August 24, 2013 at 6:26 AM

While not impossible, that is unlikely to occur. The GOP would need every break to go their way.

But we can at least get close for 2016…

JohnGalt23 on August 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Where is my favorite morning patriot from AZ?

It’s not a complete thread without my fave buddy.

Liam on August 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! …and, Trolls. Here are my thoughts an “The War Against Christianity: “The Gay Mafia” Vs. Elaine Photography. My take.

kingsjester on August 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM

kingsjester on August 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Happy Saturday! Good take, as always.

You need to mess up at least once, you know. The trolls might get an inferiority complex.

Liam on August 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Now off I go

bluegill on August 24, 2013 at 4:41 AM

…thanks a pant full!

KOOLAID2 on August 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Liam on August 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Thank you. After showing their rears all day yesterday on the subject, they should.

KOOLAID2 on August 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

ROFL!

kingsjester on August 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM

You know who never comes here in the morning anymore… Renalin.

bluegill on August 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Liam on August 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

ROFL!

kingsjester on August 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I missed a lot among those threads, but it was fun while it lasted.

I always get a kick when unbelievers presume to lecture us about God’s Word. Scripture isn’t meant for unbelievers.

Liam on August 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM

kingsjester on August 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM

…what’s up with New MEXICO lately…soon…we will all be on a rack…yelling ‘FREEDOM‘…as they turn the screws and disembowel us!………..oh!……wait!

KOOLAID2 on August 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Now off I go

blueballs on August 24, 2013 at 4:41 AM

You know who never comes here in the morning anymore… Renalin.

bluebll on August 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM

…he needs more than four hours of sleep for his meds to work!…unlike others…

KOOLAID2 on August 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Yep.

Liam on August 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Poor JB got biblically smacked, yeterday.

It was not pretty.

kingsjester on August 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM

If the Republicans were just inept, that would be one thing, but they’re actually allowing the President and the Senate to break with the Constitution. They’re allowing the President to not enforce the law by removing sections on his own. Every section has a dollar amount and the House has the power of the purse, if they passed a budget, they could remove money well they’ve allowed the Senate to get away with not passing a budget.

I haven’t seen a budget passed this year, am I missing something? I’ve heard talk about budgets, but I haven’t seen the House and Senate go through reconciliation to resolve their differences. Am I missing something? That was the way to avoid CR’s, increase the debt, and deal with Obamacare and the Republicans, by continuing to sign CR’s for over 2 years, have squandered the only power the House has in this process, the power of the purse.

bflat879 on August 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

It is a two party evil string on the purse and the use the string to release “ear mark pork” only.

Re-election money is our King George we have to deal with.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM

they

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM

King George price to be a U.S. Senator.

Form a low of $10 million to Texas or Califorina $30 million or more.

Its the re-election money.

They are all bought and paid for in advance unless like Ted Cruz or one of them spending their own money.

The do what they are paid to do.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM

OT (lol, I know)… I have a question for military people out there. My dad was a T/5 (medic) in WWII. Apparently, he was discharged as a Sgt but never, NEVER claimed that rank. Is a T/5 considered a corporal or is it a separate designation. I am buying him a brick at the National WWII Museum and want to be accurate.

Thanks.

Fallon on August 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I was talking with a good neighbor friend of mine last night, who also teaches classes on the Constitution. I told him how fed up I was with the RINO leadership, and how it felt like the Republican party is out of touch with the base. I really do feel like in the coming years, there will be a call for a third party and the Republicans will split in two, as I’m sick of these do-nothing liberal Republican leaders ignoring the conservative base. It’s like they don’t even understand the history of their own party, and how they formed.

My neighbor also pointed out that it wouldn’t be the conservative “doom” with Democrats controlling everything. Many southern Democrats, who feel alienated from the pure NorthEast/West Coast liberals, would move to the left-of-center old Republican party. His prediction was a 35-35-30 split… and the new conservative party would actually be very close to winning… especially if so many people are fed up with the existing parties to run politics as usual. A new party would be the shiny new thing, compared to the old dullness… and would do better than anyone expected.

Republican leadership better start listening to their base, but I kind of hope the don’t. I’m done with the lies and frustration of politicians pandering to my beliefs, then undermining them when they get into office.

dominigan on August 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Adjoran on August 24, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Yep – and you have slowly lost your country for “playing fair” haven’t you? Tell me, what kind of a hero are you for playing fair and according to the rules if your children live in Marxist chains? Should they ADMIRE you for putting them in the position of living in slavery or resorting to bl0odshed to regain their freedom?

No … you will be seen – rightfully, as a coward.

Fight fire with fire – or you will have to do something much worse later to reclaim your liberty.

HondaV65 on August 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Since HA is not covering the 88 years old Vet that was murdered or Chris Lane that was murdered, I’m posting this here.

Pics of one arrested & pics of both with names & current status as of this link on the Veteran.

Updated 8/23/13 8:23PM