The sadly inevitable “Obama gets a new dog” post

posted at 5:21 pm on August 20, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. I was angry about the shambles that American foreign policy has been reduced to, but how can I stay mad when I look into those big brown eyes?

Depending upon how bad the new round of NSA revelations are, O might have to carry the dog out with him to the podium at his next presser.

Sunny was born in Michigan in June 2012, and arrived at the White House today. Just like Bo, she’s a Portuguese Water Dog, which works great for the Obamas because of allergies in their family.

Sunny is the perfect little sister for Bo – full of energy and very affectionate – and the First Family picked her name because it fit her cheerful personality.

In the past, Bo has been eager to help the First Family with their official duties, from visiting Walter Reed and the Children’s National Medical Center, to inspecting the Holiday decorations at the White House, to greeting guests at the White House on tours and during the Easter Egg Roll, but in October, the First Lady told reporters that she hosted a “doggie play date” because “Bo doesn’t have enough dog interaction.” So now, in addition to helping with those official duties, Bo takes on the important role of big brother!

Ace thinks this is a cheap publicity ploy to momentarily distract from the fact that O’s second term is in the toilet. I’m going to disagree, and not just because my sanity requires me to believe that it takes more than a photo op for a dog to manipulate presidential approval ratings. For one thing, O’s summer swoon in job approval is basically a law of nature at this point. To use puppy cuteness to defy political gravity that strong, he’d have to go the “101 dalmatians” route. Beyond that, WaPo makes a fair point:

An article published last year in the journal Political Science and Politics found that presidential dogs tend to get trotted out, and grab more headlines, in times of national hardship. And the authors have a chart to prove it.

“We surmise that diversionary pets are a political liability when their frolicking on the White House lawn in hard times might cue the public that not everyone in the country is suffering equally and that being president is not a full-time job,” the authors conclude.

Or, to put it slightly differently:

Here’s my only criticism: Of all the names he could have chosen, why “Sunny”? When you’ve got another dog named “Bo,” “Luke” is the obvious choice. Or, if you’re stuck on the fact that Sunny’s female, you could make a play for soap-opera fans by naming her “Hope.” There’s an obvious third alternative that’s better than both of those, but let’s face it — O’s not known for laughing at himself. Exit question via PETA: Why didn’t he get a shelter dog?

Comments

And, the dog’s invited to stay for dinner.

kingsjester on August 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Memo to Congress: Double the doggie jet budget. Or you want a government shutdown.

de rigueur on August 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Depending upon how bad the new round of NSA revelations are,…

Consider them bad…

There is now no shield from forced exposure.

Seven Percent Solution on August 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Iowahawk makes me laugh.

Bmore on August 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM

He named the first one after himself, and nobody in the press caught on!

Wander on August 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I think its a ploy. Allah, a shelter dog really? Come on we are talking about someone who has spent much of his life with illusions of grandeur. Besides going down to the local shelter and rubbing elbows with the little people doesn’t make for a great photo op when drooling. ; )

Bmore on August 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I’d eat that

DarkCurrent on August 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM

If I had a dog named Bo, I would name the other one Jackson.

I was at the game (for free) when his hip went out.

What an athlete!

IlikedAUH2O on August 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM

That kook Charles J. over at Little Green Footballs freaked right hell out about this. What is it with that website? The guy is such the statist wacko it’s almost comical.

MoreLiberty on August 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Being a dog lover myself, I am glad the First Family has a couple of them.

But this is better ignored.

Until Sunny gets her private ride in a V-22.

Jabberwock on August 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Oh, isn’t that cute! It’s enough to make me forget all about the fact that Obama is only president today because he used the IRS, NSA and other agencies of feral government to undemocratically oppress his political opponents, opponent who proved themselves a viable political majority in the ’10 election which threatens the status quo ruled by the corrupt beltway establishment.

FloatingRock on August 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I would think Diddly would make a nice name, to honor an American musical hero (uh, that’s Bo Diddly for those who missed it) and to commemorate what her owner has done during his 1.25 terms of office.

IndieDogg on August 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Maybe we conservatives should start a “Got Anger” ad campaign if folks can ignore reality because the Obamas have a new dog.

This is the political version of a flagging sitcom where they figure out a way to introduce a new cute child into the storyline. Nevermind Egypt is in flames, the State Department just decided nobody was responsible for the deaths at Benghazi, or that our economy sucks. Look at the puppy!

Americans really are too stupid for words. I guess the only real question here is if on future Presidential vacations the dogs get their own Osprey lifts or not. Maybe it isn’t a coincidence that TWO of these platforms just joined the fleet.

Happy Nomad on August 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Will they travel on separate planes like The Prezzy and The Missus?

Jomama on August 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

When the vast majority of the mainstream media has the attention span and moral integrity of a gnat….

….hmm, the President’s second term looks like it’s imploding. There’s….

….Benghazi
….IRS scandal
….Obamacare disaster
….NSA scandals
….Clapper perjury
….Holder contempt of Congress
….Fast and Furious
….Dismal economic growth
….looming debt crisis / government shutdown
….Egypt
….Syria
….Russia ‘reset’
….’Leading from behind’

….Oh, look – ‘shiney object’ – the President’s family has a new dog…

And where is the vast majority of the mainstream media focusing their attention today? Cute little Sunny….Bo’s little ‘sister’…

It’s not about approval ratings – Obama doesn’t care about them as he got his second term. It’s about deflecting the attention of the low information voters for a bit – then it’s back to the message from the Administration that 3×4=11…..

Athos on August 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM

He named the first one after himself, and nobody in the press caught on!

Wander on August 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Well, nobody is going to suggest that Sunny was named after the shaved Yeti that goes by the name Michelle. Nothing “sunny” about an angry racist black woman.

Happy Nomad on August 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Exit question via PETA: Why didn’t he get a shelter dog?

He was going to, but PETA already killed that dog.

rbj on August 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM

My first reaction was one of pity for the dog. Animals need warmth and affection and an owner who cares about their well-being. I hope the daughters truly enjoy them and the pets weren’t merely foisted political props.

INC on August 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Bo has reached the peak of perfection. He’s ready for “dinner” now.

Yummm!

deadite on August 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

At least in 2016 the new president won’t have eaten a dog. So we’ve got that going for us.

happytobehere on August 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

The sadly inevitable “Obama gets a new dog” post
posted at 5:21 pm on August 20, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate.

The Dog Eater’s palate?

steebo77 on August 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Yep

Bmore on August 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

“Obama gets a new dog”

Food storage.

petefrt on August 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM

For the record, I still don’t think Obama actually ate a dog. I don’t think he wrote a word of his first book.

happytobehere on August 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Being a dog lover myself, I am glad the First Family has a couple of them.

Jabberwock on August 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Remember Socks the cat? A prop that ended up with Clinton’s secretary when the last set of grifters moved out of the White House (and stole all that furniture).

Bo and Sunny are props for the current administration.

Happy Nomad on August 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Gayest dogs in the world.

Murphy9 on August 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Yeah, he’s going to eat that dog the first chance he gets.

Because the President is a dog eater.

Kensington on August 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM

The guy is such the statist wacko it’s almost comical.

MoreLiberty on August 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Hahaha, doesn’t take much nowadays, does it?

scalleywag on August 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Heh, Bo is black and white, while Sunny is black……hmmmmm.

antipc on August 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM

To cleanse the palate.

Can I write about the abysmal state of gaming instead?

nobar on August 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Can I write about the abysmal state of gaming instead?

nobar on August 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Please do.

happytobehere on August 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM

And how before the first litter of puppies? Dogeater now has his own personal puppy mill providing him with delicious puppy meals.

Brat on August 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM

When Obama’s term is up, those dogs will be at the shelter.

SpiderMike on August 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM

IndieDogg on August 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Thread winner!

He was going to, but PETA already killed that dog.

rbj on August 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Close second!

GWB on August 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Whatever you may think of Obama, this is probably a good idea.

After all, he might get hungry…..

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Dogs. When squirrels just won’t do.

ted c on August 20, 2013 at 5:51 PM

The end is near. They know it, we know it, only the press is blind.

Scotsman on August 20, 2013 at 5:51 PM

the big question will be “cajun style” or “chicken fried” …./

ted c on August 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Next up, Stefano. :)

Nevermind how I know that.

sadly inevitable

This post really did make me sad.

Axe on August 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Should have named it “Chewy”

chewydog on August 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM

O’s two dogs have the appropriate initials for him: B. S.

conservative pilgrim on August 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Dogs. When squirrels just won’t do.

ted c on August 20, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Yep. Cats are too Democrat. If you are a thin-skinnned rat-eared coward with flagging poll numbers you get a DOG!

Happy Nomad on August 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM

O’s two dogs have the appropriate initials for him: B. S.

conservative pilgrim on August 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Thread closer!

Happy Nomad on August 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Sunny is not even an “original” name…but hey, Splash is totally appropriate for Ted’s dog…

Politics aside, U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy will be remembered by many for his contributions to the nation and also for his love for his dogs Sunny and Splash, Portuguese Water Dogs.
He told Harry Smith of CBS in a 2006 interview: “Splash is a part of our family, but he’s part of the senate family as well. He comes to work with me every day with his little niece Sunny and members of the senate dome. He’s not allowed to go on the senate floor. He’s troubled by that… because he thinks, he says that they won’t let him on because people will say that they don’t think he knows how to behave. But actually, he says that he behaves a lot better than most senators.”
He gave President Obama his puppy, a Portuguese Water Dog, named Bo.
Kennedy wrote a children’s book My Senator and Me in Sunny’s voice. One of his greatest joys was sailing with his wife Vicki and the dogs on his sloop Mya.

Brat on August 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Exit question via PETA: Why didn’t he get a shelter dog?

Because he wanted to join the Kennedy family in breeding Portuguese Water Dogs?

aryeung on August 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Regarding the name, I’m surprised we didn’t get a Mo. Just saying.

aryeung on August 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM

#ActionAugust

blammm on August 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM

of course it’s media driven. i bet the press pool is so relieved the president did this so they hae something to cover other than all the scandals.

chasdal on August 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Happy Nomad on August 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM

:) Well that’s a first for me. Thanks.

conservative pilgrim on August 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Prop Dog #2

Does this one get its own military aircraft too?

mudskipper on August 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM

It’s a good thing that the President has plenty of aides, butlers, and whatevers because I don’t think he is responsible enough to care for pets.

mobydutch on August 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Sunny Side Up.

Ben Hur on August 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I’m thinking the Obamas heard everyone complaining about Bo riding in his own Osprey and thought, “Fine. Now Bo AND Sunny can ride together in an Osprey. Who could be mad about that?”

/s

JadeNYU on August 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM

What does obozo call a second dog? Dessert.

Flange on August 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM

The gristmill of ‘SQUIRREL’. Lame stream? No, just wretchedly, lame.

… and that’s all the news worth reporting…

I’d spit, but I have manners.

mickytx on August 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM

how can I stay mad when I look into those big brown eyes?

yawn, the WH is mooning us, again? must be a day that ends in ‘y’.

socalcon on August 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Regarding the name, I’m surprised we didn’t get a Mo. Just saying.

aryeung on August 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Don’t say that! Mo is one of my nicknames. :-)

Resist We Much on August 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM

mobydutch on August 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Hell! He can’t even care for the two brats he supposedly bred without outside help from his mother-in-law. Funny how previous occupants of the White House didn’t have the same need for help. Just sayin’

Happy Nomad on August 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Saw one suggestion to name it ZO.

Then the 2 dogs would be BO ZO, named after their owner.

Barred on August 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM

PETA doesn’t want them to have a shelter dog…one less dog for PETA to kill.

allstonian on August 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Bo and Luke? Obama don’t want no neo-confederates at the White House!

besser tot als rot on August 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM

INC on August 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Amen, INC.

I wonder if they’ve ever, no I don’t and they are incapable but let me finish, taken in an orphan or two…

A little grey kitteh came to my door, going on 3 years ago, now. Keeper.

The larger scheme would indicate, that’s not much. Go to an SPCA sometime. Humans don’t do well by their animals.

That we’d want an SPCH is a far more reaching observation. Yet, the worst keep churning out babies, human beings. I am always saddened by that and there isn’t a proper response to that, from me.

mickytx on August 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM

His new dog is like his new economic initiatives. The same…

voiceofreason on August 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM

What fresh whistle is this?

happytobehere on August 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Why doesn’t Obama have a dog for each media network? They could take turns humping his leg… oh, but that would ruin the crease and break David Brooks’ heart!

drunyan8315 on August 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Bo and Luke? Obama don’t want no neo-confederates at the White House!

besser tot als rot on August 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM

What! No! There’s just making their way the only way they know how. And that’s just a little bit more than the law will allow. Just the good old boys. Wouldn’t change if they could. Fightin’ the system like-a two modern day Robin Hood.

Axe on August 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Sunny? I think that’s “Sunni”

sandspur on August 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM

How many Americans would gladly accept Bo or Sunny’s food by the time the term of the DOTUS ends?

??????

PappyD61 on August 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Hey!

Where’s the post on Obama’s upcoming Big Bus Tour, where he will be focused like a laser on college tuition?

I think I’d like to coin a new moniker for Obama.

“Side ShObama”

I think it fits. Frikken clown circus is getting tiresome.

Key West Reader on August 20, 2013 at 6:43 PM

??????

PappyD61 on August 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM

$8.50 for a pound of oscar mayer bacon at Publix. Almost took a picture but didn’t. We’re down to rice, beans, noodles and the occasional hamburger. Whatever.

I will NOT submit.

Key West Reader on August 20, 2013 at 6:44 PM

This President is the most arrogant POS on the face of the earth- Not only does he help himself to another $3000 dog immediately after being busted helicoptering the OTHER $3000 dog to vacation, but the audacity of he and his nasty wife continually lecturing all of us as to, “the right thing to do”, couldn’t even be bothered to use his bully pulpit to be a decent person and rescue an actual SHELTER dog! And yes, shelters get “hypoallergenic dogs” too- any dog with fur instead of hair is appropriate. AND, I doubt if the need for such a dog is even factual- Barry just likes to have the very best of everything, and the more expensive a dog he has, the cooler all of us will find him.

Gag. I seriously dislike this man.

BettyRuth on August 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Give a man two dogs (male and female) and he can eat for a lifetime…

d1carter on August 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM

He’s imitating the master, Billy Clinton, who got a dog when things looked the most bleak in his White House.

The REB already had a dog; so what? He just got another one.

PS: Shelter dogs are for the little people.

slickwillie2001 on August 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM

VEAL

exodus2011 on August 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM

So now Obama has three dogs.

VorDaj on August 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM

The oval office is being redone, and the oaf in it will ‘work’ in a parallel version. It’s all apparently going to cost you 370 million. I predict it’s more than one billion by the time it’s done.

Meanwhile you are forbidden to visit your house, you know, the one you pay for.

Plus, its tyrannical baggers are getting a new dog…look, over there…a new doggie :):):)

Work harder, fools. Life is good.

1848

Egypt

Schadenfreude on August 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Obama gets a new dog?

I didn’t realize that he was having problems with the old one.
Let me guess- the new one is Jarrett?

justltl on August 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Obama missed out on a great press opportunity here. He should have called the new the dog “Ophra”.

Uncle Larry on August 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM

The first dog was lonely because no one paid enough attention to it, so they got it a companion.

Fleuries on August 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM

BettyRuth on August 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I disagree. If that were true, please explain Michelle.

ghostwalker1 on August 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM

– wait. Someone keep an eye on Bo. I just got a bad feeling about this.

Axe on August 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Fleuries on August 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM

But, they’ll still fly in separate jets to the vacay destinations, I’m sure, to not hurt their self-esteem.

TXUS on August 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I think they should’ve called him Checkers.

Tzetzes on August 20, 2013 at 10:51 PM

why is POTUS profiling black dogs?

ChuckTX on August 21, 2013 at 3:57 AM

so is BO a black-white dog and Sunny a black-black dog?

ChuckTX on August 21, 2013 at 4:01 AM

of course to O they are all ‘chewy’…

ChuckTX on August 21, 2013 at 4:02 AM

In other news, the White house takes delivery on a second CV-22.

shooter561 on August 21, 2013 at 8:42 AM