Cruz: I’ll renounce my Canadian citizenship that I never used

posted at 8:01 am on August 20, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

And so the “Ted Cruz: Mountie” dream comes to an end.  In a move that Cruz more or less triggered with the release of his birth certificate, the Senator from Texas pledged to renounce his vestigial Canadian citizenship, part of the dual-citizenship status he has had all his life — and of which Cruz was apparently unaware:

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) announced Monday evening that he will renounce his Canadian citizenship, less than 24 hours after a newspaper pointed out that the Canadian-born senator likely maintains dual citizenship.

“Now the Dallas Morning News says that I may technically have dual citizenship,” Cruz said in a statement. “Assuming that is true, then sure, I will renounce any Canadian citizenship. Nothing against Canada, but I’m an American by birth and as a U.S. senator; I believe I should be only an American.”

The Dallas Morning News wrote in a story posted late Sunday night that Cruz likely remains a Canadian citizen, by virtue of being born there to an American mother. Having never renounced that citizenship, Cruz was technically a Canadian and an American citizen, according to legal experts.

Cruz said his mother told him that he could claim his citizenship if he ever wanted to, but that he never pursued it and thought the matter was settled.

This put a late end to an eventful day, although one has to wonder whether Cruz didn’t spend most of it doubled up in laughter, or sighing in disbelief. I’m guessing … the latter:

“Given the raft of stories today about my birth certificate, it must be a slow news day,” Cruz said.

The birth-certificate release had to be a tongue-in-cheek dig at those on the fringe claiming that his birth made him ineligible for the presidency.  By the afternoon, though, Cruz had had enough of the debate over the circumstances of dual citizenship, and by evening apparently decided that the quickest way to put an end to the nonsense was to officially renounce his Canadian birthright.  That will take a few months, but the process is unlikely to hold any surprises. Unless, of course, it takes place in another slow news cycle.  (Headline: Cruz Spells Color With A ‘U’. Still A Secret Canadian?)

That puts him in position to run for the nomination in 2016 if he chooses, although primary voters will have plenty of options with more experience in this cycle.  The longer this goes into the past, the sillier it will seem, which is why it’s a net plus for Cruz to have leveled this mountain-from-a-microscopic-molehill early on.

Comments

Does he speak Canadian?

myiq2xu on August 20, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Palinized

cmsinaz on August 20, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Cruz’ eyes have always bothered me. I wish they were friendlier. Obama, despite being a Communist leaning dbag has friendly eyes and it helped him.

mitchellvii on August 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Let the lsm ‘vetting’ begin

cmsinaz on August 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Why do it? Hold onto it so that the hard lefties become Birthers. It makes your opponents look even less reasonable.

blammm on August 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Gosh, it sure seems like we have had lots of leaks and stories about anyone that could be an opponent of JOE BIDEN in 2016………….

Mmmmmmm

PappyD61 on August 20, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Does he have a Canadian passport in addition to a US passport?

nazo311 on August 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

…hay?

KOOLAID2 on August 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Convenient how the LSM forgets it was Shillary’s team that gave birth to the birther issue…

hillsoftx on August 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM

To put a sarcastic inflection on Joe Biden’s words: Big f***ing deal.

Between the minions of the main stream press and the armchair constitutionalists on the right -and around here- I don’t know how this kiddie kerfuffle could get any more inconsequential.

M240H on August 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Does he have a Canadian passport in addition to a US passport?

I always thought “Canadian Passport” was a synonym for the the mullet (along with “Kentucky Waterfall”, “Tennessee Tophat” and the “Missouri Compromise”)

cktheman on August 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Ed’s new role as kingmaker…

DanMan on August 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

hillsoftx on August 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM

It’s the heirs of the presstitute organs that forgot Algore Goracle brought Willie Horton into the political arena.

Steve Eggleston on August 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

RCMP Inspector Fenwick comment in 5… 4… 3…

Khun Joe on August 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

mitchellvii on August 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Fenris on August 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Does he truly have Canadian citizenship; what did Canadian law say the day Cruz was born?

He doesn’t have to go to these lengths just to pacify a media that doesn’t know a thing about anything; that doesn’t do proper research; and that will trash the man no matter what.

This whole question can be cleared by the liberal media at any time: Get an interview with a Canadian judge and question him/her on the air. Instead of second-guessing and speculating, go straight to someone who should know better than America’s propaganda arm of the Democrat Party.

But the media don’t want to do that, do they?

Liam on August 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I’m devastated that Cruz put on funny clothes, and walked though the women’s dorm in college.

War on Womens!!!ELEVENTY!!!

MNHawk on August 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

any guy with the name of “ted c” has got to be good. Canuck or even former Canuck…./

ted c on August 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Now this is interesting…

Top of the left-hand “Top Picks” column:

Ted Cruz: I’m not going to get into a legal debate about whether I’m also a Canadian citizen

Aug 19, 2013 8:41 PM by Allahpundit

Top of the right-hand “The Blog” column:

Cruz: I’ll renounce my Canadian citizenship that I never used

Aug 20, 2013 8:01 AM by Ed Morrissey

ITguy on August 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM

What a joke. Hey Ed – how far did experience get us in the last election? Experience doesn’t mean jack when the opposition is winning elections with nutjobs whose only experience is in destroying the country.

crrr6 on August 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

When will Barack Obama renounce his British subjecthood?

When Barack Obama Jr. was born on Aug. 4,1961, in Honolulu, Kenya was a British colony, still part of the United Kingdom’s dwindling empire. As a Kenyan native, Barack Obama Sr. was a British subject whose citizenship status was governed by The British Nationality Act of 1948. That same act governed the status of Obama Sr.‘s children.

- Admission on “Fight the Smears” web site, viewable as recently as March 18, 2011, but now scrubbed.

ITguy on August 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM

That puts him in position to run for the nomination in 2016 if he chooses, although primary voters will have plenty of options with more experience in this cycle. The longer this goes into the past, the sillier it will seem, which is why it’s a net plus for Cruz to have leveled this mountain-from-a-microscopic-molehill early on.

Ed gets the birther issue(it’s a joke pushed by nutters), but he still works in a dig against Cruz based on… experience? I guess years as a politician is an important qualification for Mr. Morrissey.

Fenris on August 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Wrong. The hair at his hairline isn’t miniaturized like Rubio’s. Cruz will be just find.

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Old and busted: Sharknado

New hotness: BirthCanado

M240H on August 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Fenris on August 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Wasn’t Ike bald?

Bitter Clinger on August 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

New hotness: BirthCanado

M240H on August 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

LOLZZ!!!

ted c on August 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM

When will Barack Obama renounce his British subjecthood?
ITguy on August 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM

The birther posse rides again. ITguy, I think the shadowy “they” scrubbed that truthful admission.

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Why renounce it? I haven’t followed this much…does that make him inelegible to run or something?

Gotta say, though, that I don’t get all the talk of him running in the first place. He JUST got to the Senate…what makes him a better choice than Scott Walker or Bobby Jindal? I am partial to those with executive experience, but even disregarding that ’16 seems way too early for him (and Paul, and Rubio).

changer1701 on August 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I’m just getting in this story, so just to make sure I got it:

- Obama was born on American soil and his mother was an American citizen, but he’s Kenyan.
- Cruz was born on Canadian soil and his mother is American citizen, but he’s American.

Do I have that right?

i see that birthers are now referred to as ‘the fringe’….. HA was sure the home of the fringe when Obama released his long form birth certificate tho…. and many here STILL believe that it was fake or that Obama was not born in America. that darn fringe!

Personally, I think Cruz’s mother had Cruz in Mexico or Cuba and falsified the birth certificate. How do we know he was really born in Canada??

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on August 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

But the media don’t want to do that, do they?
Liam on August 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I had the same question for Ann Coulter, who’s the first person I heard this attack from.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on August 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Bah! Keep the Canadian dual citizenship, Ted. Canadian-Hispanic-American – covers all the bases.

dissent555 on August 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on August 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

If he was born in Mexico, the Democraps would be handing him his citizenship papers and a sombrero-ful of foodstamps as we speak.

And he was born in Canada, or why else would there be a moose with a hand-carved San Antone saddle in his parking spot?

M240H on August 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

IIRC, Canada didn’t have birthright citizenship until 1977, so does he really have to renounce something he may not have?

Jeff Weimer on August 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Ok Mr. Cruz, turn it up a notch and release your transcripts and thesis today.

Gotta test out the HA server capacities.

can_con on August 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Joe Biden was born on Mars.

celtic warrior on August 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM

We had illegal aliens present at the last State of the Union Address. And they were celebrated.

Oh…we care about people’s citizenship now? Cruz could be Burmese and it shouldn’t matter to anyone who turned a blind eye to illegal aliens in our Capitol.

Pale Rider on August 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Pale Rider on August 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

and the right swears it’s better than the left.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on August 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM

“That puts him in position to run for the nomination in 2016 if he chooses, although primary voters will have plenty of options with more experience in this cycle.”

Ed have you ever heard of a man named Abraham Lincoln & his very little experience at his POTUS election?

Conservative4Ever on August 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Canadian citizenship – the question is whether the 1977 law creating birthright citizenship was meant to be retroactive or not.

And that gets you into a huge arcane legal argument that no one wants to get into because it doesn’t matter and no one really cares. There’s a good chance Cruz has it, there’s a decent chance he doesn’t. So what? He’s going to renounce it just so it isn’t some recurring issue that democrats and lunatics can keep throwing at him to try and muddy the waters.

Tom Servo on August 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Ok Mr. Cruz, turn it up a notch and release your transcripts and thesis today.

Gotta test out the HA server capacities.

can_con on August 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

And all his tax returns going back to when he got his first job.

Liam on August 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM

and the right swears it’s better than the left.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on August 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM

At least the right releases their birth certificates at the beginning of the campaign, rather than spending months puttering around the bedroom looking for one.

unclesmrgol on August 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM

There’s a way to figure this all out. Mr. Cruz needs to release all of the Halloween pictures taken of him as a child. If he’s dressed up like an Eskimo or a Mountie or is wearing a Wayne Gretzky hockey shirt — he’s out.

But something in me says, even if such a smoking gun is found, to take the Canadian over nearly anything that’s a Democrat. The majority of Canadians love America more. After all, wasn’t Chester Arthur a far better President than Barack Obama?

unclesmrgol on August 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Jeff Weimer on August 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

That may not be true. My husband’s left-libertarian (there is such a thing alas) cousin was born in ’71. He was born in Montreal to ‘American’ parents after his parents ran there so his $%^&*%$ piece of $)(! dad could avoid the draft. Said cousin has joint citizenship.
Unlike Cruz-said cousin loves it.

*I am NOT a birther-eithor for Obama or Cruz. I am an anti-birther.*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM

There may be other choices with more experience but honestly it’d be tough to find someone with more heart in the conservative movement who is in the running.

Ukiah on August 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

And all his tax returns going back to when he got his first job.

Liam on August 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Before — just in case he’s a trust fund baby.

unclesmrgol on August 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Give up his duel citizenship

bwahahahahahahahah

is he gonna leave his muslim religion and stop with the morning call to prayer tooooooooo

bwahahahaha

now all he’ll need to do is divorce that fine look’n woman he’s married to and get him a heifer cow that looks like a transvestite.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on August 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

It’s not just Palin nuts who are trying to sabotage Cruz with idiotic birther nonsense they hope will influence low- info voters.

Rand Paul’s people are also pushing the story:

Rand Paul disappoints me here.

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Jeff Weimer on August 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Can you imagine the heads exploding on the left — or the far right — if a President Cruz were to visit Canada, even for a day?

There’s an advantage. A visit to Canada costs far less than say — a visit to Africa. Millions less.

unclesmrgol on August 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I’m a so-called “Palin nut” and I’m doing nothing of the sort.

unclesmrgol on August 20, 2013 at 9:46 AM

and the right swears it’s better than the left.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on August 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM

My comments had nothing to do with “right” or “left”. It’s about anyone who wasn’t sickened by the presence of illegal aliens at the State of the Union Address shuttin’ the eff up about Cruz’s citizenship.

Pale Rider on August 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM

If President Cruz takes office, America will lose most of its land to Canada:

unclesmrgol on August 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Speaking as a not-a-Palin-nut, this thread has nothing to do with Palin-yet you’ve injected her name anyway. You do that a lot.
Time to let your hatred off her go.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM

<blockquote

> Nothing wrong with the eyes, but is America ready for a bald President? ‘Cause that’s what he’ll be in 10 years.

Fenris on August 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Wasn’t Ike bald?

Bitter Clinger on August 20, 2013 at 8:47 AMGood point. I know it’s stupid, but people really do vote on looks. And height. Which is why I’m not too worried about Christie winning anything.

Fenris on August 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM

^^formatting oops, you’ll figure it out.

Fenris on August 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Time to let your hatred off her go.
annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM

It’s her worshipers I can’t stand. Palin isn’t so bad. Just not presidential material.

How does that quote from Gandhi go about Christians and Christianity?

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

Well, I (more or less) like Sarah Palin, but I find (many of) her cultists to be unbearable.

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

As a Canadian, I feel quite rejected.

Johnny 100 Pesos on August 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I’m not too fond of her true believers either-but I understand that we’re all on the same side. They really are good conservatives. They are what they are. I am what I am. You are what you are. Let it go.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2013 at 10:03 AM

When will Barack Obama renounce his British subjecthood?

Canadians have not been British subjects for a very, very long time. Don’t be confused that Canada is in the Commonwealth and its head of state is Queen Elizabeth II. She’s also the queen of New Zealand and Australia! Canadians are not permitted to be knighted or become peers of the realm (unlike Australians, iirc). If a Canadian wants to become a knight, he has to renounce his Canadian citizenship. Since 1924 (effectively since 1920), Canada has had a completely independent foreign policy from the UK and since WWII and especially since the 1960′s, British ties have been miniscule. The last official connection was the written part of the Canadian constitution (the 1867 BNA act, an act of British parliament that created Canada) is no longer the constitution. The constitution is now in Canadian hands. The long delay was, of course, because of Quebec being nervous about being outnumbered. For TROC, however, they have some reason to believe that Quebec oppresses them! Sigh.

MichiCanuck on August 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Gandhi was spiritually blind man whose philosophy led to him conclude that the Jews should commit collective suicide.

Fenris on August 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM

MichiCanuck on August 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Very interesting and enlightening comment… worth reading.

But the question wasn’t:

When will Ted Cruz renounce his British subjecthood?

It was:

When will Barack Obama renounce his British subjecthood?

Obama’s own campaign web site admitted (until it was later scrubbed) that he was born a British subject because his father was a British subject.

ITguy on August 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Unconstitutionally relaxing the requirement for president has done quite a bit in propelling our nation down the path of progress. Just ask Obama.
I would have thought that Obama as president would have sharpened the minds of those who claim to be “conservative” or on the side at least of the constitution. But instead it has made them idiots who think that the way to win against progressive’s is to further erode the protections the Constitution affords the Citizens. Here the protection is to have loyal to the nation President as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States of America. Instead, they want to allow any anchor baby to have the ability to be President.

Our government is designed for A Virtuous and Religious people. It is wholly unsuited for any other people.
What was really meant…
We designed a government that can be appropriated easily by outside forces once we are dead. You guys really should plan to make changes quickly after we the founders are gone! LOL, HAH HAH HAH, what a bunch of dolts, I cannot believe you retards were willing to die for us!

We gave you a republic, if you can keep it.
What was really meant… According to RWM…
We gave you a self destructing government, see if you can keep it! See, we put in poison pills that will take effect after we founders have left this earth. As an example the term natural born citizen really just means any disloyal brat born on the soil by foreigners intent to do harm to the nation. Good luck suckers!

astonerii on August 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM

astonerii on August 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM

changer1701 on August 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

It seems to me the more “executive experience” they have, the more statist they become.

Perhaps it’s time to try something new.

Wendya on August 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM

People keep saying “the left” is floating this story about Cruz’s citizenship… but as far as I’ve seen, the only names I’ve seen associated with spreading this stuff are republican rivals.

Tom_Shipley on August 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

But the media don’t want to do that, do they?

Liam on August 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Someone talk to a couple of decent CANADIAN immigration lawyers and settle this, including the 1977 question, and get back to us. Is that so difficult?

slickwillie2001 on August 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM

But the media don’t want to do that, do they?

Liam on August 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Agreed. Old media reporting on this has been incredibly sloppy, but that favors the democratics so it’s probably sloppy on purpose.

slickwillie2001 on August 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM

dissent555 on August 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM

CanaHispAm? Hmmmm, not sure we want to go there…..
(Hint: sound it out – can-a-hi-spam)

GWB on August 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Does he have a Canadian passport in addition to a US passport?

nazo311 on August 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I doubt it. He had the right to one, but physically having one was something he would have to pursue. By all accounts, he never did.

Jeff Weimer on August 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

It causes any soundbite from a talking head to sound a lot better. It’s more appealing in print to a US audience. And it instantly neuters any lefty BS vis-a-vis Obama and his shady circumstances. There is also the additional advantage of flipping the bird to people like Trump.

BillH on August 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM

mitchellvii on August 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM

tongue in cheek huh?

I’ve seen the devil eyes plenty of times, staring out of those Soetero eye-sockets

also … flies like to land on The Phoney’s face … near those eyes

Flies really like The Phoney

exodus2011 on August 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

As a Canadian, I feel quite rejected.

Johnny 100 Pesos on August 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Look, when you guys send your prime minister to oversee the handover of a donut company from the US back to Canada, hey, don’t point any fingers at us!

unclesmrgol on August 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Yes, we know. You “like and admire” the “incompetent boob” who “resigned in disgrace” from her “half-term.”

Among other things.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM

unbearable.

bluegill on August 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

…yep!

KOOLAID2 on August 20, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Has he renounced hockey?
Has he renounced the rude Frenchies in Montreal?
Has he renounced his Cuban citizenship as well?
Has he admitted that he is not a natural born citizen because he was not born on U.S. soil AND did not have two U.S. citizens at the moment of his birth?
Has he commented on the fact that, on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives in 1862, Congressman John Bingham—the “father of the 14th Amendment”—stated, “All from other lands, who by the terms of [congressional] laws and a compliance with their provisions become naturalized, are adopted citizens of the United States; all other persons born within the Republic, of parents owing allegiance to no other sovereignty, are natural born citizens. Gentleman can find no exception to this statement touching natural-born citizens except what is said in the Constitution relating to Indians.”

Has he commented on Bingham’s 1866 statement, “Every human being born within the jurisdiction of the United States of parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is, in the language of your Constitution itself, a natural born citizen.”

Has he commented that Obama supporters — including attorneys filing briefs with the U.S. Supreme Court — have omitted the words “of parents” when quoting Bingham’s statement, in a shameful and intentional effort to mislead?

Colony14 on August 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM