Report: NBC backing away from Hillary miniseries

posted at 5:21 pm on August 19, 2013 by Allahpundit

So says FTVLive. After all the free publicity the RNC’s given them by threatening to boycott NBC News as a debate sponsor, is NBC really going to slaughter this cash cow?

In fairness, a multi-hour miniseries about Hillary’s triumph over serial victimization would have been a terrible drag. Better to do it in a shorter, snappier format. Three words, my friends: “Hillary! The Musical”.

NBC sources tell FTVLive that the NBC suits have figured the Clinton miniseries “just isn’t worth it.”

Word is that NBC is going to let it quietly go away without saying a word.

NBC does not want to make it look like the RNC or their own news people “got [their] way,” so the project will likely die in the “in development” stage.

One NBC source told FTVLive that the miniseries has gone from a 90% “go” to more like a a 60% “No go.”

Corroborating evidence: Fox pulled the plug this weekend on producing the miniseries for NBC — purportedly over revenue. Could be that NBC’s having difficulty finding a replacement who’ll agree to the revenue terms and political risk that come with this job, but even if they find one, no one will fit the bill as well as Fox would have. That was, potentially, their trump card if they went through with it and people complained that the end product was a valentine to Clinton: “If you thought it was too biased towards Hillary, blame right-wing Fox, not us.” Now it’ll look like standard Hollywood propaganda for the Democratic nominee in waiting. Still worth doing, I’d think, given the public interest, but harder to spin.

Reince Priebus is going to end up high-fiving every grassroots donor in sight to celebrate RNC initiatives against media bias getting results, but there’s more to this than that. When FTV’s source says it “just isn’t worth it,” I think they mean from both sides. Remember, no less a left-wing hack than David Brock called on NBC to torpedo the miniseries for fear that it would end up as, ahem, a right-wing hit job on Her Majesty. And in a way, he’s right: Any unflattering scene would be seized on by liberals as proof that NBC had caved to conservatives, no matter what the tenor of the rest of the production was. They could do six hours on Hillary, Woman of Destiny, and 10 minutes of cursory treatment on Benghazi near the end would have Media Matters wetting itself. It’s one thing to have your news division grumbling about perceptions of bias, it’s another to have both the right and the left screaming at you that you’re in the tank for the left/right. Even with the promise of solid ratings, maybe the prospect of that much aggravation makes the hassle involved prohibitive.

Comments

Oh man. I sense a disturbance in The Narrative.

novaculus on August 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Three words, my friends: “Hillary! The Musical”

Pantsuits, cankles, and Benghazi, OH MY!

ted c on August 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Three words, my friends: “Hillary! The Musical”.

Oh man oh man oh man. The Narrative just took a crap.

novaculus on August 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I’m not certain this merits a “Second look at Priebus”.

nobar on August 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Big loser: fatsuit rental companies in Hollywood.

slickwillie2001 on August 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM

To be honest, I would prefer if they still boycotted.

rob verdi on August 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Three words, my friends: “Hillary! The Musical”

Pantsuits, cankles, and Benghazi, OH MY!

ted c on August 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Allah goes to the trouble of a thoughtful commentary, and this is what we take away? GMTA

novaculus on August 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Isn’t she the genius cattle trader that is married to a disbarred, impeached serial rapist whose idea of attenuating urban crime was midnight basketball?

Murphy9 on August 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

“They just want it to quietly die before it ever goes into production.”

and take miss “what difference does it make at this point anyway” with!!

RealMc on August 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Now we won’t be able to sit back and laugh at the horrible ratings. Too bad.

Mark1971 on August 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I’m not certain this merits a “Second look at Priebus”.
nobar on August 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Certainly not! His autopsy committee of what happen in 2012 Pres election was stuff with the ‘very’ people that were the problem…..

journeymike on August 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Wait. Do I hear shrieks and shattering lamps?

Must be my imagination.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I’m not certain this merits a “Second look at Priebus”.
nobar on August 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM

journeymike on August 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Wait. How did we start talking about the 9/11 Commission?

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM

So many really worth wild idea die on the editing room floor. /

Bmore on August 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM

plural

Bmore on August 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Three words, my friends: “Hillary! The Musical”.

You know, Limbaugh has a whole bunch of great music already bagged that we can use for this.

beatcanvas on August 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

FADE IN-

INT. A $5000 a day hotel bedroom. Night.

E.C.U. of a Jack Daniels’ bottle on a moonlit nightstand. A puffy white woman’s hand reaches over and grasps the bottle. The combo move out of frame jerkily.

SOUND: a crude swigging noise.

The bottle slams back onto the nightstand.

SOUND: a burp.

HILLARY
(slurring to herself)
At this point… urp!… what diff’runce does it make? (pause)
I am no ways taaard!” (laughs hysterically)

FADE TO BLACK-

TITLES:

HRC: PARTY WOMAN

profitsbeard on August 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Let the dethroning begin!

scalleywag on August 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

i hope the Rs mentioned that they won’t be going on any left-wing debates anyway…with or without hill.

i don’t want chrissy and maddow as moderators…which is what they’ll wind up with…or better chris hayes and maddow, kinda twin leftists

r keller on August 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Three words, my friends: “Hillary! The Musical”.

Four words, AP:

“Increase distance from Broadway”…

JohnGalt23 on August 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

The mini series.

Bmore on August 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM

They were having trouble dealing with the stained blue dress.

Tater Salad on August 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM

What? Why, there must be some mistake. The RINO Coalition assured us that Reince’s move was the stupidest thing on earth and only made conservatives look like little sissies.

Stick this up your candyass, Medved.

Jaibones on August 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM

If NBC now thinks they will be able to host GOP debates, they better start by hiring someone who could be a good unbiased moderator.

Tater Salad on August 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Maybe they figured they couldn’t fill the time slot with a show about her “accomplishments”, and besides, they probably realized no one would watch it. Why not give her her own reality show, based in Bosnia. Or Benghazi.

scalleywag on August 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

“Any” unflattering scene?????

It is to laugh.

GrannyDee on August 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

is NBC really going to slaughter this cash cow?

Quote of the day.

She sure does have lots of blood on her hands, and will continue to generate lots more – see Egypt, Benghazi and Syria, just for starters.

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

But,….Nathan Lane cleared his whole schedule to play Hillary in this series.

portlandon on August 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Three words, my friends: “Hillary! The Musical”.

God, you are funny.

Will it be the Indian or the Chinese version?

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Oprah, racist liar cow.

Hillary, racist liar cow.

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

H/t Capitalist Hog

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Crap! I was actually looking forward to seeing what lengths they had to go to in order to turn the story of her life into a positive one.

iceman1960 on August 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM

AP, if I were you I would get Uncle Joe’s phone records and go from there. The three words for the torpedo: “Joe Biden”.

NOMOBO on August 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Three words, my friends: “Hillary! The Musical”.

Springtime For Hillary

Stu Gotts on August 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

profitsbeard on August 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

i’m dying here! that is so hot

gracie on August 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Featuring that hit tune “Don’t Cry for Me, Benghazi”

onlineanalyst on August 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM

“They just want it to quietly die before it ever goes into production.”

Double meaning and I will go with the second.

VorDaj on August 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Iiiiiii am no waaay, toooo tiiiiiired.
Thanks for that liar.
Clintons and Bushies and Kennedy’s. Sit down and shut the hell up.
You’ve done so little, that it would be all told.

Yes, I said that. ’tis true. f-in nonsense for thinking, not to be beat down.
That would be me, never, ever getting beaten down, though the various try. ;D
And the horse you rode in on…

Haha.

Mine is a spirit of something special.
They can’t take it from me, it is of my heart. INC.

mickytx on August 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

That just lends itself to a song and dance number as Hillary bobs and weaves the sniper fire after landing in Bosnia.

Happy Nomad on August 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Three words, my friends: “Hillary! The Musical”.

“The Producers”, the sequel:

“Springtime for Hitler Hillary”

Basil Fawlty on August 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Featuring that hit tune “Don’t Cry for Me, Benghazi”

onlineanalyst on August 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Followed up by “At this point (what difference does it make).”

Happy Nomad on August 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Change the format. Tie it into a perennial NBC programing family. Law and Order: Benghazi. Maybe we’ll even find out what happened on the night of 9/11/12.

Happy Nomad on August 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

They are not running it because Hillary is not going to run in 2016 and someone high up told them to ixnay the project. That is why Biden is doing his 2016 Iowa stuff and his people are grooming the media for his next Presidential run.

Johnnyreb on August 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Backing Away:

Me thinks,its another HilRod Trickery!

canopfor on August 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I will watch the True Hollywood Story of HRC come 2020 should we still be America.

Still wondering where all the true journalists are.
Extinct perhaps.

Lib

seesalrun2 on August 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM

“They just want it to quietly die before it ever goes into production.”

You wish all libtard ideas suffered the same fate. Alas, they’re stuck on stupid.
I’m thinking, in this economy, the extra wide-angle lens was just too much of an expense.

HornetSting on August 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

And it was to be called, “The Life and Times of a Rodeo Clown”.

d1carter on August 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

HornetSting on August 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Damn. Nice to see you here and commenting. Yay!
If we could get INC and ‘Flora Duh’, we’d be onto something.
Never give up. Just that. Never, ever.

mickytx on August 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Three words, my friends: “Hillary! The Musical”
Pantsuits, cankles, and Benghazi, OH MY!

ted c on August 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM

novaculus on August 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

We can’t help that AP got into the cat’s nip, man.

HornetSting on August 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

HornetSting on August 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Damn. Nice to see you here and commenting. Yay!
If we could get INC and ‘Flora Duh’, we’d be onto something.
Never give up. Just that. Never, ever.

mickytx on August 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Hello there.
I hear you were making people scratch their heads on QOTD. There’s already enough LSD up in there.
Platy, MadCon, only see him every so often, even anninacan..I miss smacking her around, I guess she finally looked in the mirror.

HornetSting on August 19, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Just a guess but could they have just figured out that they were maybe being used to skirt the campaign equal time and contribution laws that could have potentially cost they $$billions in legal entanglements as the Hilary goes free.

jpcpt03 on August 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM

“Hillary! The Musical”

And, here I went and trademarked “Cllnton, the Musical”…

This *showing my fingers an inch apart* close.

Fallon on August 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Hillary is being used again as a decoy same as 2008. As in 2008 Hillary and Bill probably are in the dark on this. The libs are going to run a hispanic. They just want you to focus on Hill. They’re all about turnout and a hispanic fits the bill. Everything else is BS

rik on August 19, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I’d rather see it fail.

TimBuk3 on August 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM

HornetSting on August 19, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Nope. My days of lysergics long sense. I think it was Axe and for inverted
questions. I don’t mind. We’ll not be turning this country around for qotd, though.

All intended for, not only the best, but the best of us.

I know. Clear as mud. Well, that’s just not so, I exclaim!
;D

There isn’t any mystery in truth. I’m even more plain about that. Maybe that was it.
What you see, you will never regret with me. You see, I am quite at home in TX.

If not a bit outspoken…

mickytx on August 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM

oh, sense == since* haha

mickytx on August 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

good to see ya here HornetSting.
That’s what I was trying to say, and now I have. Yay!

mickytx on August 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM

doesn’t matter, rnc should not let the lsm cover the primary debates at all…they had their turn…time for someone new

cmsinaz on August 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM

The segment on “The White House Years” would have been fun.

Hillary stalking through the office complex, snarling at people, “Don’t look at me!!”

Hillary on the phone about the Travel Office affair, shouting, “I don’t care what the law says! We need those slots!!”

Hillary screaming at Bill in the family quarters (pre-Monica)- with the Secret Service detail standing outside the door, and wondering if they’re going to have to burst in and save the POTUS from being beaten up by the FLOTUS.

And Monica. Oh, dear.

Hillary’s tenure at 1600 would make a miniseries all by itself. Granted, it would probably have to be on cable; even by today’s standards, her language wouldn’t get past Broadcast Standards.

In fact, a DVD “Director’s Cut” would be an underground classic. Rather like The Road To 9/11.

clear ether

eon

eon on August 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM

eon on August 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Starve the beast, er HilRod. Despicable come, not in pairs, no….
Teams of despicable persons.

Whinnie, oh, your horse, you liar? TFB. Hate isn’t quite enough a long enough word for the likes
of you, former Madame ‘what difference does it make’ Secretary. You’ll take that to your grave.
Despicable.

This whole regime is illegitimate. I’ll not soon forget.

What I really meant appears just above. Yep.

mickytx on August 19, 2013 at 8:38 PM

What, you mean like Sharknado?

I thought we had affirmatively established that what Bloggers Everywhere And The Entire World Yes Even The Internet talk about doesn’t strongly correlate to what actual flesh beings watch on TV.

In this case, I can’t think of a less interesting way to spend 4 hours than watching Hillary Clinton’s entirely uninteresting and undramatic life since the Lewinsky affiar – minus the interesting parts that they won’t show, like the Lewinsky affair – massaged into a TV drama.

I mean, what are they going to do? Show how she beat Rick Lazio? How she ran for President and lost?

HitNRun on August 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

All those progtards at NBC have to do is ( buy it, if it wasn’t there’s) re-run the Martin Sheen West Wing series, and the idiot liberals can pretend all is well in fantasyland as they await their Pant Suit Queen , wearing sensible shoes.

FlaMurph on August 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Let’s think about this: Hillary was the establishment front-runner last time and she was beaten. The voters quickly found their alternative and went for someone with the thinnest resume on the planet.

It would be great to have someone make a youtube video of Hillary’s life. It would be called “What Difference, At This Point, I Could Make” and subtitled “The Innocence of Hillary“.

In the trailer, she would brave sniper fire as she trotted out of the helicopter on the White-House lawn,to be greeted by the ever-doting Bill and handed a bunch of flowers by one of his slightly overweight female assistants.

Please do the mini-series. I am begging you.

virgo on August 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I kept my promise… you keep your distance…

CynicalOptimist on August 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

And watch the GOP forget all about Mark Levin…

Theworldisnotenough on August 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM