Look to the governors in 2016

posted at 4:01 pm on August 17, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier this week, CNN asked me to write an op-ed on Ted Cruz, and whether he’s a realistic contender for the presidency.  My reaction: Of course he is — but probably not in 2016.  And for that matter, neither are the Republicans who seem to get the most mention for that position:

No one doubts that Cruz has a bright future in the Republican Party, but that doesn’t mean the future is now.

Cruz, like Rubio and Rand Paul, have only barely arrived on the national stage and are many years younger than their sell-by date. None of the three has held executive office yet. Both Paul and Cruz have only won one election in their career. All three have made an extraordinary impact as freshmen senators, but they are still mainly untested outside of a single electoral cycle.

Additionally, Republicans have more options: By the time 2015 rolls around and candidates have to commit to a run, a number of GOP governors will be staking out their ground as well.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will almost certainly use his considerable media presence and blunt style to launch the next phase of his career. Scott Walker has to win a re-election bid in Wisconsin in 2014; a win will re-establish his fighting credentials on budgets and reform.

Mike Pence got some attention early in the 2012 cycle as a potential presidential contender, but decided to go home to Indiana to add executive office to his already-impressive conservative credentials. Susana Martinez, who like Cruz was given a featured-speaker slot at the national GOP convention last year, should sail to a 2014 re-election in New Mexico, with approval ratings that have never dropped below 60%.

We can add a couple of other names to that list, too.  Nikki Haley might be a popular choice, and Rick Perry will almost certainly give it another go.  Don’t count out Bobby Jindal, either, who has built a great track record of reform in Louisiana, a state that has infamously resisted it.

Allahpundit posted Larry Sabato’s prediction that Walker would emerge as the front-runner, and I think that’s a relatively safe bet, although not even odds.  I’d guess it will be Walker and Martinez, assuming both win their re-election bids next year.  I very much doubt that the GOP are going to go for a Beltway figure in 2016, or for any Republican from the Northeast again, either.  With the plethora of executive-office holders outside of Washington ready to enter the mix, the Senate freshmen will need to get a little more seasoning before preparing for a presidential bid.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Was Jim DeMint a “quitter”? Why, yes, I think he was.

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM

bluegill on August 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

remind me again, ye mittbott, what Cruz’s executive experience is.

renalin on August 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Well, golly gee, that there Jimmy Carter, and William Jefferson Clinton, and George HW Bush has executive experience up the ying yang. That’s what we need, another one of them.

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Conservatives need to make a pact. We will vote for anyone who is 80% conservative, even if we aren’t in love.

The fierce primary battle divided us beyond repair (thanks Sarah Palin for constantly preaching “the more the merrier”, “the fight will make them stronger….”)

I think we should start polls of who we absolutely, positively will NOT vote for.

I.e., I really don’t care for Rand Paul, Rick Santorum or Bobby Jindal. But, could I vote for them,? Yeah, probably could go to the polls and vote for their boring selves against Hillary. I’m still fuming over Sarah’s little mating dance she did with her supporters in 2012. PiZZed off. But if she were on the ticket, I could vote for her.

If the candidate is Chris Christie or Jeb Bush – I stay home. So who would cause you to absolutely stay home if they were the candidate? That might be a better place to start the next primary process.

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I <3 Cruz; I voted for him, donated $$$, and badgered every conservative I know into voting for him during the primaries. I don't understand why y'all want to blow up his career on a premature 2016 POTUS run when he has a 30-40 year senate career in front of him.

bitsy on August 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

“Look to the governors in 2016?”

blackgriffin on August 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

bitsy on August 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Because we NEED him and we’re out of time.

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

If Christie is the candidate I’ll be writing in Rahm. All of Christie’s ideas and none of the morbid obesity.

happytobehere on August 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

bitsy on August 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Don’t worry, Cruz isn’t going to run for president. He wants to get along with his Senate colleagues for decades. But all this attention will help him as long as he doesn’t actually run.

happytobehere on August 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

The whole “Look to the Governors” thing ignores the reality that running for POTUS is now a political celebrity contest, whoever’s the most politically famous will win. The D.C. folks are considerably more famous than the governors.

Hillary Clinton is unstoppably famous by anyone but Michelle Obama. Christie will probably get the GOP nomination because he’s famous for being fat. He’s instantly recognizable. That matters infinitely more to our electorate than any actual policy ideas.

happytobehere on August 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

bluegill on August 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Says the azzwhole who shilled for romneycare on this site for 4 years with thousand & thousands of posts. Explain something to me douche, how do you square Romneycare & obamacare. What is the difference. Your opinion is worthless!!!

Palin has been fighting for conservative principles for 5 years. She has been attacked by Rino’s, dems, media elites, etc.. Yet she still stands. You know why dipsh*t, because she has principle. You never have to worry about her supporting amnesty, Obamacare/romneycare, etc..

I’ve stated before you have mental problems. For the past 5 years, whatever the topic, as soon as Palin’s name is mentioned you attacked her with endless negative posts. That is not normal.

Finally, shrinkage, do you understand how most sane people value your opinion on this site. You licked romneycare’s azz for 5 years, you thought romneycare, that unprincipled blueblood could beat satan. Because of people like you their is a WAR in the GOP between Rino’s and principled conservatives.

No election will be won by the GOP for national office until the republican establishment get on their knees and beg Palin to be part of the process. Until then, the Roves, Bush’s, the Bush family rumpswabs, Fox News, the RNC, the establishment can all go f*ck themselves.

Danielvito on August 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I have been saying “look to the Governors” for months – so this makes me smile.

The “no” responses to this – completely confounds me.

The idea that we elect someone from the House or Senate – and then expect the Democrats to work with or follow that persons lead? – is simple naive.

The Governors are our leaders – not House/Senate talking heads.

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Like it or not Clinton and Bush were a damn sight better than Obama. For all his faults – Clinton (Well Fare reform) understood how to govern.

You have to enter the White House with a political team and executive know-how.

Living in Washington D.C. where you can walk to the nightly talk shows – is not a qualification to lead.

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Well, Morrissey’s advice has several fatal flaws: 1.ALL governors have gladly taken ‘federal’ aid without questioning the corrupting effects of it, and this aid is WHY Obama can reach in so deep into the states for what he wants. 2.We need changes to bring back the Constitution as the everyday fact of governance, and hiring another ‘go along, get along’ pragmatist governor as President will NOT accomplish that.

The fiscal insanity, spying,encroahments on the Bill of Rights,a nd expansion of Federal authority was pushed on by governors as President, Congressman/Senator and Supreme Court Justices (does anyone remember the Warren Court? Chief Justice Warren was Governor of California).

This nitwit advice that automatically we must pick a governor as a Presidential candidate has to end. After all, the GOP picked ex Governor Romney as the 2012 candidate-how well did that work out?

love2rumba on August 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Oh, sorry, did I miss the line in the Constitution about the President HAS to have served as Gov?

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Sorry, but the “experience needed” provision died with Obama the first time, came back as a zombie the second time and died AGAIN.

Pick random people for Clowngress and the Presidency, you could hardly do worse.

MelonCollie on August 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

You have to enter the White House with a political team and executive know-how.

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Where in my statement did I say Obama was better than Clinton or Bush. My point, just because one has all the executive experience, does not necessarily make one a good leader/president.

Cruz has argued some significant cases before the SCOTUS and won. He is brilliant and knows what the game is in DC. Will he be a great president,? I don’t know but something about the definition of insanity … getting the same result.

I’m ready for Cruz because we are FLAT OUT OF TIME. It may already be too late in which case, will Texas … um, you know, the c word that we dare not type or say that rhymes, and sounds like with succeed.? It’s our only hope.

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

ditto that.

Harbingeing on August 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM

And people wonder why this country is going to shit…

powerfactor on August 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

And people wonder why this country is going to shit…

powerfactor on August 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Oh PLEASE. We haven’t had an 80% conservative Presidential candidate with a serious chance for decades.

MelonCollie on August 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM

bitsy on August 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Whether he runs for POTUS or not is irrelevant, just now.
What is relevant, however, is that NOBODY ….. should be looking forward to a 30-40 year career in any elected political office.

listens2glenn on August 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Danielvito on August 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

This 1000+. esp. the they can GFT.

they lie on August 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Point taken – and I hope you are proven right about Cruz.

I’m just not sold on him – not yet. Hope to be however.

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Point taken – and I hope you are proven right about Cruz.

I’m just not sold on him – not yet. Hope to be however.

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I do appreciate your honest and sane response. There is so much hate here. Hard to come here sometimes.

Whom would you not vote for, under any circumstance?

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

The problem is that no matter who is the favorite among remaining Republicans, the RNC will let the media decide who will be their candidate.
Liam on August 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Yes, I believe that you are correct, unfortunately.

yesiamapirate on August 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Good grief EM,

We need an effective communicator willing to roll back the government.

Someone who can inspire people to re-embrace limited, lawful government.

Doesn’t matter where they come from.

mockmook on August 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Running for the Presidency is a full-time job which needs to start in January 2015 and starting part-time right about now.

Therefore, it seems totally impractical for any Governor running for re-election in November 2014 to run for the Presidency in 2016. They’d have to quit their job as Governor before they’re even sworn in.

Cheetah1956 on August 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Ed,

We are in an ideological war. A great executive presiding over the continuing demise of constitutional governance is not the road to success.

mockmook on August 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Liam on August 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

The media won’t alienate the low info voters that but their product. We need a candidate who is media savvy enough to woo those voters.

kcewa on August 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Whom would you not vote for, under any circumstance?

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

100% honest – I don’t know just yet – I honestly don’t.

No one has made the sale – so long to go – so many voices to be heard.

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

What the hell kind of seasoning did Obama have that got him elected? Oh yeah! a tablespoon of Commie seasoning and a touch of MSM cover his ass!

MCGIRV on August 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Whom would you not vote for, under any circumstance?

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Christie
Anyone who disses Sarah Palin

Harbingeing on August 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Look to governors? Heck, look everywhere and VET VET VET!

darlus on August 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I think that word starts with a S as well, doesn’t it? :P

thebrokenrattle on August 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

“Look to the governors in 2016?”

blackgriffin on August 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

…governor Carter and governor Clinton?…governor Bush wasn’t so hot his second term either!…I’ll take my chances with Cruz

KOOLAID2 on August 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Sorry but the governors we have a bore…..Walker is a good governor but he’s boring. These days people aren’t looking for politicians that put them too sleep. Christie is not boring but he might as well be a Dem.

terryannonline on August 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Alsoo ED I think you are missing something else that is critical, more critical than executive experience…they need to internet and media savvy..or at least know how to use twitter.

The trouble with the establishment picks is not just they were not very conservative, but they were out of touch in this new world. You can thump your chest about executive experience all you want but if you don’t understand that world forget it. Even hiring people who are won’t be able to overcome that. Right now we have three prominent people in the GOP who I know understand this new world, Cruz, Rand Paul, and Christie.

Christie is not conservative for me so that knocks him out, which leaves Cruz and Rand. Now if these other people you like show some ability to understand this new world, know how to make a scene to get attention, and who will be loud…I might change my mind.

I would say the same to anyone RINO, establishment or hardcore Christian Conservative. We need a conservative, but we need one who understands the modern world.

Just giving a stump speech, and telling everyone all the wonderful things you believe in is not going to get it done. You need to be a showman…in fact this is nothing new…look at Reagan. Cruz and Paul want the spotlight, they want the ball at the end of the game, they want to be the man. They are big league performers, young yes, but the best showmen we have.

William Eaton on August 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I think that word starts with a S as well, doesn’t it? :P

thebrokenrattle on August 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

No, it’s a “C”……becoming more and more the R strategy….. Cede.

FlaMurph on August 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM

On defining the CORE of the problem, (which is existential IMV,) and then looking for the solution which FITS ….

It is extremely clear to me that:

1. the DC Status Quo has got America to the point of > 100% GDP in DEBT, and near destruction

2. the US govt must be reformed, undergo a controlled IMPLOSION

3. there must be an EXPLOSION of American Energy development asap

(points 2 and 3 simultaneously)

4. Neocon FP/Miltary Policy must be shelved in favor of a return to the policy developed during the Reagan years

5. A Leader found who UNDERSTANDS the above 4 points and can be trusted to manage points 2, 3 and 4 successfully.

NB:

Points 2 and 3 cannot/will not happen unless the Manager involved is NOT4SALE …. NOT BEHOLDEN to anybody, … just The American People

THEREFORE, we either need Sarah Palin or Ted Cruz as POTUS (I see nobody else who could succeed at the task required)

if they sort out between themselves, who it will be, that is fine with me … if it is POTUS Cruz, he will need to hand over the WHOLE implosion/explosion thing to Madame Steel Spine, and rubber stamp her activities, since he has no experience in these management areas.

He can take care of the rest of the POTUS job

exodus2011 on August 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM

The pic with him, handing the Masscare signing pen, while Ted Kennedy looks on, was likely photoshopped, as well.

narciso on August 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Can’t you see the torment in Romney’s eyes you heartless beast?

sharrukin on August 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

rofl forever, you guys are vicious. :)

arnold ziffel on August 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Palin couldn’t even finish one term before quitting.

Palin = joke.

bluegill on August 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Palin couldn’t even finish one term before quitting.

Palin = joke.

bluegill on August 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Do some research – run the risk of understanding why she quit.

In Alaska – the Governor can be sued – but the Governor must bear to cost of those lawsuits – those costs are not paid by the state of Alaska.

After Palin took off in national politics – the Democrats and their allies looked for any way to sue Governor Palin.

She simply could not bear the cost or the time.

Facts are stubborn things – and so it the truth.

You can dislike Sarah Palin – no argument with that right – but don’t use the “she quit” ball of crap. It does not hold water.

Just say “I don’t like her”

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM

How absurd is this?

Uh, no, Scott Brown. America is not looking for “bipartisan solutions.” The country is looking for principled leaders dedicated to following the Constitution and understanding what limits it places on the federal government.

onlineanalyst on August 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Palin couldn’t even finish one term before quitting.

Palin = joke.

bluegill on August 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM

…who are you responding too…”sweetheart”!

KOOLAID2 on August 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Oh for crying out loud, she wasn’t being sued, she was being harassed by opponents using an ethic violations law she championed. She didn’t need to lawyer up for each and every one of them, she could have answered them with a letter. Annoying yes, but it wasn’t something that was paralyzing or braking her.

As for the topic, what difference does it make? As if by some miracle any of these Republicans wins, what is going to change? The American people lack the resolve to address our entitlement problem and eventual fiscal collapse. So all this guessing game garbage over the next GOP nominee is just an exercise in futility.

lowandslow on August 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Cruz, like Rubio and Rand Paul, have Obama has only barely arrived on the national stage and are many years younger than their sell-by date. None of the threeHeh has not held executive office yet. Both Paul and Cruz have Obama has only won one election in their career. All three have made an extraordinary He has made minimal impact as freshmen senators, but they are and he is still mainly untested outside of a single electoral cycle.

Just to be consistent…

Nutstuyu on August 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Ah, the “Stop Cruz” movement is already in full swing. It worked for stopping Palin and now the Tea Party favorite son is being grilled.

Labels mean nothing anymore; Goernor, senator, experienced, conservative (watch out with this one if the GOP anoints anyone as one) credentialed, up and coming, star, proven track record….

I’m waiting to see who the elites want, that I may then go for the competition he/she targets in the primaries–that’s my vote.
As of now, “Cruz or snooze!”

Don L on August 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Palin couldn’t even finish one term before quitting.

Palin = joke.

bluegill on August 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM

why don’t you ask your guy Ted Cruz his opinion? … you can listen to his impromptu introduction of Madame Steel Spine at CPAC 2013, or his interview on Fox and Friends, soon after she rejoined Fox News … or read the letter he wrote to SarahPAC

Ted is your guy, and displays GREAT JUDGMENT … right bluegill? … or else you wouldn’t be his gal …

if he was supporting a ‘joke’ … you wouldn’t support *him*, wouldja bluegill?

because … if you *did* … well, that would make *you* a kinda ‘joke’, wouldn’t it …. bluegill ….

?

exodus2011 on August 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

lowandslow on August 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM

IMV, with the political landscape shifting against the CORRUPT Ruling Class, Palin’s resigning, due to political targeting by CORRUPTOCRATS, in order to fight back on a different front, will be understood and agreed with

as info about the Big Govt corruption and abuse continues to spread, Americans will be searching more and more for a Leader they can trust

someone who VALUES keeping their word

someone who has a record of fighting corruption successfully

someone whose Admin emails are in the Public domain

someone who didn’t feel the need to destroy their hard-drives

someone who is not reluctant to present personal documentation or all Tax Returns

someone who is transparent in all dealings

and America will see the Leader they need, waiting in the wings …

#BeClingers ———————-> #AmericaRISING

exodus2011 on August 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM

People need to quit being willing dupes – just saying.

Midas on August 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Did not really need the poll to see it. The Tea party refused to take on Social Security, Medicare, Welfare and publicly decried that they were not going be socially conservative. As if you have any other conservative without first having a base conservative people to base that on.

astonerii on August 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I’m trying to remember the name of a young, barely seasoned senator who became president, Ed. Give me a minute, it will come to me.

Winning in politics is very much about momentary opportunity and being opportunistic. It’s often about the voters mood, electoral conditions and the charisma of a candidate who fulfills the citizens needs at that time.

Ted Cruz is very likely that person simply because he’s smart, articulate, principled and a fighter.

We’ve seen too many cowards in the Republican Party over the past years. People who wilt in negotiation, repeat political platitudes as if they were reading off a cereal advertisement, make specious promises and play political games with important negotiations and people are sick of it. They are tired of the excuses and disingenuous doubletalk. In short they are fed up with not having anyone fight for them and getting pummeled by the bullies.

I can’t say at this point if Ted Cruz will be a candidate in the next presidential election. But I can see him and perhaps a few others who would actually fight for us, not yield in the face of opposition and actually have a chance at becoming president.

So in my opinion it’s really Ted’s chance to shine and it’s only his decision that will stand in the way of victory IMVHO.

Marcus Traianus on August 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM

mockmook on August 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

+ One trillion.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM

mockmook on August 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

+ One trillion.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM

…good grief…I missed that and mm’s other one…add another + One….for me!

KOOLAID2 on August 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM

+ One trillion.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Has there been hyper inflation going on around here or are your specific + points worth so little?
I know what you are saying, but it just kind of makes me want to ask if you think of the term trillion like Obama does?

astonerii on August 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM

astonerii on August 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM

mockmook on August 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

+1 decillion to mockmock’s comment. And that’s still undervaluing it.

bluegill on August 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM

think nothing of going to the ^3.3 of a large number, eh?

astonerii on August 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM

astonerii on August 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM

- 2.8%

Axe on August 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I have been saying “look to the Governors” for months – so this makes me smile.

The “no” responses to this – completely confounds me.

The Governors are our leaders – not House/Senate talking heads.

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

You have to enter the White House with a political team and executive know-how.

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Took the words right outa my mouth.

Twice.

Arnold Yabenson on August 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Better write of the AZ governor after the way she went “Benedict Roberts” on illegals.”

The NSA must have found something she was up to then emailed her photos, calculations and diagrams.

viking01 on August 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Cruz/Paul ’16. Palin as “fedgov shrinkage czar”.

HICON on August 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Christie can oversee disassembly of DOE, DOL, IRS, NEA, HHS.

HICON on August 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Cruz, Sr. For Sec. State.
Rubio for Amb. To Antartica.
Walker to Sec Treas.
Jindal to Dept of Energy.
Bolton to Homeland and NDI

HICON on August 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Danielvito on August 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I thought Palin has a gig on FOX news….Circular firing squads are no fun.

FlaMurph on August 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Cruz, Sr. For Sec. State.
Rubio for Amb. To Antartica.
Walker to Sec Treas.
Jindal to Dept of Energy.
Bolton to Homeland and NDI
HICON on August 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Hahaha, yes. Perfect position for Rubio.

bluegill on August 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM

All this talk is for the benefit of Chris Christie, and if he gets the nomination, he will bomb worst than Romney did. The GOP will not win by putting up a warmed over Democrat with a “R” after his/her name.

savage24 on August 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM

astonerii on August 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM

It is a definite nod, so to speak, to The Won. I have been using it since his first term.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM

savage24 on August 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM

It’s so strange for Ed to say to us, essentially, “now, I know you all may be most excited by candidates like Cruz and Paul, but try to put a lid on your enthusiasm until those two have a few more years of work in DC under their belt. We should value number of government job entries on a politician’s resume over their principles, after all.”

I say we ought to coalesce around someone who inspires us and had a backbone. Wouldn’t it be nice for conservatives of all stripes to have someone we could actually be passionate about and not just more-or-less supportive of? I want someone who will make us all say, “heck ya, he’s my guy!”

Executive experience is overrated in getting someone elected. Did it really help Mitt?

Was Jimmy Carter a great president after having been governor?

I want someone who will stand firm on judicial nominees, taxes, amnesty, etc.

bluegill on August 19, 2013 at 2:35 AM

*Has a backbone, not had a backbone, I mean!

bluegill on August 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM

jake-the-goose on August 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Actually, knowing how Congress functions could actually be an advantage over the experience any governor would have. (as long as you have a record of fighting the status quo).

Don’t forget that next pres will probably appoint 4 Supreme Court justices. Who would know better than Ted Cruz about judges? Chris Christie would appoint judges sympathetic to SHARIA LAW, for goodness sake, as he has done that in his state.

stenwin77 on August 19, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I think 2008 should pretty much put to rest all of your concerns here. We need to win in 2016. Who gives a crap about executive experience or “seasoning” if you have someone who’s smart, energetic, good-looking and can beat the geriatric harpy married to Bubba?

WarEagle01 on August 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Why wait for 2016? The Republican governors (Perry, Jindal, Pence, Fallin, Martinez) should organize a Red State Healthcare Plan alternative to the Obamacare exchanges. Start selling it across state lines NOW, (especially to college students), and let the chips fall. Once the administration is seen denying college students truly affordable health insurance, Obamacare will collapse.

I’m surprised Jindal hasn’t already proposed this honestly. It’s how interstate banking began.

monalisa on August 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

All I need to know is that Ted Cruz is a patriot.

Hillary is all about power and doing whatever it takes to get it and hold on to it.

Ted is a conviction politician. Hillary is a self-concerned, power-hungry, win-at-any-costs schemer.

bluegill on August 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM

we are FLAT OUT OF TIME. It’s our only hope.

stenwin77 on August 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM
ditto that.

Harbingeing on August 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Regardless of what happens in national elections, the single most important thing we all can do is to push our state legislatures for an Article V convention.
I have contacte my respresentative in my state (Texas). What have you all done. It is imperative that we get this some traction now.

paulsur on August 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Not only as a choice for a presidential candidate, governorship is a place where republicans can have influence over the day to day lives of their citizens more effectively than in Congress, and more effectively than Democrats, who screw up state budgets and buy votes with stuff, in MA it’s promises on “the cherry sheet” the name of the aid to cities and towns “returned” to the cities from the state government (except not returned to the city you live in, but to some “underrepresented” “under-served” “undeserved” and under
-contributing towns.)

Governorship is where it is at in terms of shaping the direction of red states, and keeping them traditional American. I think the governors are not doing all the can and should right now, and would like to see the GOP Governors Association do more.

I want them to stop wasting time speculating about who will be a candidate, and more time being the most excellent governor possible. Show us accomplishments. There are about 30 GOP governors and that is a lot of power toward simplification and restoration of rational, and pre emptive governing.

Fleuries on August 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I agree with Ed that we should be looking to Governors for 2016, and not necessarily Christie. Governors have experience in tackling tough statewide problems head-on, including resolving disputes between urban and suburban areas that might not be every Republican’s cup of Tea Party. But Gov. Christie’s brash style, which might be popular in NaJoysey, doesn’t play well in the Heartland.

The main problem with Rand Paul is not so much his inexperience as his last name. His father Ron Paul has beclowned himself with his repeated Presidential runs where he gets maybe 5% of the Republican vote and a reputation as a crackpot. Rand Paul needs some time to distance himself from the old man (or wait until foot meets bucket) before he can be a serious contender for the “mushy middle”.

We do have 30 out of 50 Governors, and the best candidate might not be a red-state Governor, but a Governor who has managed to “turn around” a blue or purple state, possibly with a hostile state legislature, such as Scott Walker, and get re-elected. Such a Governor would be convincing to “mushy middle” voters that conservative policies can turn around economies ruined by Democrats, and claim that “what I did for my state, I can do for the country”.

Beyond the examples cited by Ed, there may be another “dark horse” by 2016–Gov. Rick Snyder of Michigan. But it remains to be seen how he handles the bankruptcy of Detroit, and whether Michiganders are willing to re-elect him as Governor in the meantime.

Steve Z on August 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Dems are a well oiled mafia machine repleat with pols, reporters, policemen, college contacts, hospital admins, seemingly half the country on the take. And the ones who resist are getting audited, framed, hell even poisoned and blown up.

Can someone explain how the out of power party has a snowballs chance in hell.

pc on August 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM

It’s a Walker-Martinez ticket for me at this point.

Really people? Pence? Based on what?

He ran a do-no-harm campaign for Governor on the coat-tails of Mitch Daniels. NOT a method that will work on a national stage.

Other than not creating a state ACA Exchange, not much to tout since then either.

Carnac on August 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I’m beginning to wonder if any rational person can understand the conservative base. The rightwingers spend more time whining and complaining about so-called RINOs and the Republican “establishment” than they do castigating the POTUS they claim is destroying all they hold dear.

Now, I do think the Republican leadership has little use for the rightwing base, but for good reason. They know that pandering to the party’s most extreme elements will mean electoral disaster.

Look at the remarks along the lines of “I want someone who represents my principles.” Great…but can he or she win? What political sense does it make to run people who only appeal, at most, to a quarter of the electorate?

The Palin worshippers are the worst. It doesn’t take long for any thread about 2016 to wander into “Palin is THE ANSWER” territory.

She isn’t. Most of the country thinks she is not only unfit and unqualified to lead…

Meredith on August 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

It’s very simple. The true conservative in executive office will be willing to eliminate people FROM THEIR OWN PARTY in combatting corruption in government. Actions over talk, principles over party. I can only think of one person who already meets that criteria, someone who actually removed people in their own party from political office to combat corruption in government… and you think she’s unfit because the left says so.

I hold candidates to a higher standard. Sorry if that upsets you RINO lovers who value power and winning over principles.

No… I take that back. I’m not sorry at all. Winning doesn’t matter if you don’t have the principles to enact the changes needed to save our country.

dominigan on August 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Cruz would make an awesome VP. Pretty much guaranteed to ignite the conservatives and provide a check on the Senate. Remember, the VP is the president of the Senate, after all.

OmegaPaladin on August 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

*Has a backbone, not had a backbone, I mean!

bluegill on August 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM

…meds kicked in after…huh?

KOOLAID2 on August 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM

You need to stop turning to gimmicks like “we need a governor” or “we need an outsider”. What we need is someone like Ronald Reagan, only bolder. Someone who sticks to his/her ideals and doesn’t waiver. Someone plain spoken. Someone who keeps their word. We need a true American patriot wherever, whoever they are.

paulsur on August 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I have to say with potential candidates like Mr. Walker, Mr. Pence and Ms. Martinez in the mix, there is a little smile starting to rise from the corner of my Grinch mouth.

Mr. Walker has been unbelievably successful in Wisconsin and has brought the state back to financial solvency. Ditto Mr. Pence in Indiana. In New Mexico, Ms. Martinez has overseen steady job growth and an economic recovery that is better than the nation. The state has been noted as one of the top prospects for growth in the next few years.

Ignore this at your peril; this economic experience is most important to voters and is something the top Democrat candidates for POTUS do not have. Keep the focus on tangible, real, substantive results an experience- we will have a Republican President. If not, we lose- it’s that simple.

Forget the issue politics and devise demographic nonsense being foisted upon us by the GOP and other party acolytes. These are candidates are armed with economic facts which will resonate with all people if they are articulated clearly and concisely.

People want to get back to work and once again be part of an America we are all familiar with. Let’s focus n what unites us, not the last 8 years of what divides us.

Marcus Traianus on September 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM