Video: Silly show comin’ back for another silly season

posted at 8:16 pm on August 13, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, a true fact about the big A: Now that “The Office” is off the air, I only watch shows that annoy me. “The Walking Dead,” eight hundred different ghost-hunter productions, and this big bag of goofs, which purports to be a semi-serious look at counterterrorism and yet imagined that the world’s most wanted terrorist might decide to come out of hiding in Iraq and sneak into Washington D.C. to kidnap someone personally. Definitely watch season one if you haven’t yet. Then definitely watch seasons two and three if you’re into the idea of a nutty CIA agent finding romance with a double agent from Al Qaeda — who, by the way, is married to a character played by Morena Baccarin. That may be the least plausible part of this fantastically implausible show. Brody leaves Morena Baccarin for Crazy Carrie. What did the jihadis do to this guy’s brain?

Here’s the cryptic, atmospheric Season 4 trailer. Nothing obvious here about NSA surveillance, in case you thought they might tackle that; the Snowden revelations didn’t happen until June of this year, likely too late to be included in the plots of any new episodes. There’s a little bit of “cry face,” the obligatory shots of Mandy Patinkin looking mournful and Damian Lewis looking haggard, and — most interestingly — a tease that Brody’s daughter might convert to Islam too. If there’s one thing this show needs, it’s more fish-out-of-water high-school subplots involving her minor character. We’re in for a treat.

Update: Whoops, brain lapse. It’s season three that’s upcoming, not season four.

Comments

I don’t know why this show gets more acclaim and respect from critics than 24 did. While I watch it and can enjoy it for what it is, Carrie is SUPER-annoying and the plots have become way too ridiculous to suspend my disbelief anymore, at least in trying to keep it in a “this could really happen” kind of viewing.

I’d take Jack Bauer over Carrie any day of the week. If Carrie represents the best of what the CIA has to offer then I’m really scared.

MikeknaJ on August 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Speaking of Zombies…well you did mention them:Next month I will be playing a zombie at a local event. You’ll never see what I’m gonna be ,in ‘TWD’. *grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Breaking Bad?

El_Terrible on August 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I barely watch TV anymore, since LOST ended. Just the news and sports mostly. And of course Time Warner cable and WCBS channel 2 (New York) are battling it out over costs, and guess what network carries the regular season Jets games…

JetBoy on August 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Wow. Just how slow is this news week, any way?

Never mind. I guess we know by now.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

This show last me around the end of season 1 or beginning of season 2, don’t remember which; it just seemed so implausible outside a leftist’s fever dreams.

blue13326 on August 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Too much time on your hands. Take up a personal sport of some kind.

chemman on August 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM

We don’t watch TV. Husband was using Spawn’s tube and husband’s hearing sucks. My hearing is excellent-so that was causing ‘disagreements’ over the volume. The TV will remain in Spawn’s room. *smiles wearily.*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Not good.

myrenovations on August 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Cool, I’ll have to check that out. It sounds just crazy enough to be entertaining!

scalleywag on August 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I love the show. I really had to laugh at AP’s pretentious snobbery. Oh, look, he’s too smart for his own britches!

mountainaires on August 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Never watched the show..but Claire Danes.

…nice.

Really nice.

BigWyo on August 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I loved the first season. Last season… not so much. I hope this season is better.

stvdog on August 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I started watching season 1, and now I know Brody is a terrorist. F-ck.

toliver on August 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Wow, a show that takes the threat of militant Islamic terrorism seriously, whose most intelligent and sympathetic character is a Jew, that shows how patriots who actually take terrorist threats seriously can be stymied by careerists and turncoats in the bureaucracy, and that unabashedly shows how terrorists and those who sympathize them can infiltrate and manipulate our government, is not liked by conservatives. Is the show too neocon for the new conservative libertarianism?

Meanwhile, I look forward to the reboot of 24, in which, as in every other season, the real conspirators behind the conspiracy will turn out to be…flag-waiving corporatist white guys!

Mr. Arkadin on August 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Good job in giving a full old man rant without once telling us what show you are talking about.

Happy Nomad on August 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Piff,I haven’t watched any HomeLand InSecurity!!!

canopfor on August 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM

AP, how can you not be a Breaking Bad fan???

Blake on August 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Obama’s favorite show.

THAT explains a LOT.

NavyMustang on August 13, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I enjoy the show for the nuclear powered WTF factor. The dynamic between Brody and Carrie is just totally unbelievable.

NavyMustang on August 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM

==========================-

Well,it least there not news current,and say what about NSA!!

canopfor on August 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I hate the soppy music that is so popular with shows these days. And I think they should make the girl wear a bag over her head. She might reconsider, spit, islam.

Blake on August 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I’m still hoping Quinn will shoot Brody.

Blake on August 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Wow, a show that takes the threat of militant Islamic terrorism seriously…

Mr. Arkadin on August 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

If the hero is screwing one of the terrorists it doesn’t sound like its being taken all that seriously.

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Hank better kill everybody on BB because they certainly deserve it. He can spare Marie, Holly and Walt Jr., but everyone else must die.

Blake on August 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM

JetBoy on August 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Is that really such a bad thing this season? You get the first two games of the year against Tampa and New England on Fox and NFL Network, and that may be all a lot of Jets fans really want to see (or can handle, if Sanchez continues that 1-to-1 ratio of touchdowns to his receivers and the other team’s defenders).

jon1979 on August 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

The silly show was at the Missouri State commission…

d1carter on August 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

an extremely annoying must watch for AP… Siberia.

equanimous on August 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Boardwalk Empires is coming back. That’s pretty good. But beside that and Homeland and TWD – what else is there?

It will be interesting to see if Vince Gilligan can repeat the success of BB. Besides the writing, the acting and the cinematography made it great.

Blake on August 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Dexter sucks. I’d like to kill Deb and her fake tan and incestuous feelings. True Blood always sucked – but not in a vampirey way.

When does that other vampire show debut, the one by our friend, Daniel Knauf?

Blake on August 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM

The Americans is excellent. I thought it was going to be Reagan bashing crap, and it was actually terrific. Other good television: The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Bates Motel.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on August 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Going to second watching breaking bad and dexter. Both shows explore how are choices define us.

jhffmn on August 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

And Homeland (while at times crazy) is very enjoyable.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on August 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I would like to watch X-Files. :\

Jeddite on August 13, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Bates Motel.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on August 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

They did a great job recreating the hotel, house and general vibe. Great casting also. That kid is almost perfect as Norman. You can tell he studied Perkins portrayal.

Another new show that surprised is Hannibal… a slow burn but pretty intense.

equanimous on August 13, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Oh, yeah, there is Mad Men but that returns in 2014. Frankly, I’m sick of watching a bunch of immoral alcoholics puking.

Blake on August 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM

If there’s one thing this show needs, it’s more more Morena Baccarin nude scenes!

This cannot be stressed enough and bears repeating.

Just in case I wasn’t quite clear.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Anybody want a peanut ?

birdhurd on August 13, 2013 at 9:53 PM

The best shows on TV are on Showtime.

Homeland is great, and so is Shameless.

asc85 on August 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Er, the show has had two seasons so far.

The trailer is for the upcoming third season.

Mister Mets on August 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM

There’s SOA but I find the characters repulsive.

Blake on August 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM

a true fact about the big A:

Now there’s a first. I’ve never read that self-description. Made me laugh though.

conservative pilgrim on August 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Here’s the cryptic, atmospheric Season 4 trailer

I think you mean Season 3.

conservative pilgrim on August 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I wish there was a control on the TV that lets you turn up the intelligence.

They have one called “Brightness” but that doesn’t do the job. It seems to be stuck on “lobotomized housefly”.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on August 13, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Duck Dynasty is the next Paula Deen…..you wait.

They must be destroyed. They are southern, stupid, hicks and bigoted hayseeds (bitter clingers as Obama called the people of Pennsylvania).

PappyD61 on August 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Justified starring Nick Searcy.

myiq2xu on August 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I think you mean Season 3.

Washington math.

myiq2xu on August 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM

All because Americans are too lazy to read subtitles (on Hatufim).

calbear on August 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM

First season was good because there was the entire interplay of whether or not he was really a terrorist or she was just an overealous CIA agent abusing her authority. They pretty much resolved that for the audience at the end of the first season.

They brought that entire storyline to a close at the beginning of the second season in favor of going after the big terrorist guy which they resolved at the end of the second season.

Soooo… They’ve shot both barrels… what’s the point now? 10 episodes of soppy reflections and introspection?

Skywise on August 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Television? Seriously? You have time to watch television? You actually pay for television? Dude. There are SOOO many better things to do than watch television.

Galtian on August 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Justified starring Nick Searcy.

myiq2xu on August 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM

You mean Timothy Olyphant or you just mean Nick steals the show?

preallocated on August 13, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Haven’t found a show I can get into since Fringe. Haven’t tried too hard. Sherlock, except there are like, what, 3 entire episodes? Downton Abbey for awhile, but the last season was a stinker. meh, don’t need it.

TexasDan on August 14, 2013 at 12:06 AM

You want a silly show to annoy you?

I heard a radio advertisement for a great show for you to check out.

Amish Mafia

Let that sink in a moment.

Amish… Mafia… on the Discovery channel.

Sackett on August 14, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Most annoying show on television? Umm…so many shows, so little time…

Utterly wretched reality show: “Sister Wives” (but, yeah, “Amish Mafia” would be a close second)

Instant gag reflex drama: Hallmark Channel’s “Cedar Cove.”

trapeze on August 14, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Season 3 of Strike Back started last Friday. Talk about a great show! That’s a show where the terrorists are killed as often as the zombies on The Walking Dead.

Capitalist Infidel on August 14, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Forgot about Justified. This last season was excellent.

Blake on August 14, 2013 at 4:46 AM

So much more quality shows on the tube than the above mentioned garbage.

Justified, Hell on Wheels, Ray Donovan, Graceland, Longmire, SoA

exsanguine on August 14, 2013 at 5:41 AM

MandytPatinkin is the mole/real terrorist.

count it.

LtGenRob on August 14, 2013 at 6:55 AM

The wife and I enjoy the USA network shows like covert affairs and burn notice. None of them offend my conservative sensibilities therefore I can remain in a good mood while I watch them. Highly recommended shows.

Defenestratus on August 14, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I guess I’m the only guy left in America who misses The Shield.

But that’s what Hulu’s for, right?

The Schaef on August 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I watch almost NO television anymore. Honestly, even though you didn’t mention the show’s name I doubt I would have any idea what you are talking about.

Of the little live television I watch, I watch mostly Mythbusters, some science channel fare with some Fox News mixed in. I have enjoyed Fast-n-Loud and have caught a couple episodes of Naked and Afraid, mostly for the novelty of it and the fact that some of the ladies have very nice posteriors. (Yes, I’m a dirty old man. So sue me.) I’ve also enjoyed Burn Notice, but that has as much to do with the fact that I enjoy Bruce Campbell’s acting as it does the general quality of the programming.

Honestly though, there are almost NO shows that are on that I am so interested in that I will schedule time around watching them. Probably only Mythbusters.

Most of the rest of the time I am watching streaming media. I have been for many years a huge Anime fan, so I end up watching lots and lots of that via my Crunchyroll subscription and my Roku (Space Brothers is an awesome series with lots of very overt conservative overtones that I highly recommend.) My wife prefers watching classic movies (Although she is also a Mythbusters fan) so she is either watching DVDs or streaming media. We just don’t watch much live TV anymore.

Honestly, we have been giving serious thought to just “cutting the cable” and doing away with our television subscription altogether. Since we are moving soon we may do it then. At least as a trial. It’s not like we can’t go back and get television access later if we want.

wearyman on August 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I had to full screen the video to find out the name of the show. Since I don’t have cable or Showtime, I guess I will have to continue my empty existence without benefit of the show. Put me on a suicide watch!

Laurence on August 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM

wearyman on August 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I cut cable 8 years ago and as a result I have no reception and can not watch anything. It was just too expensive for crap. I netflix and check out the huge dvd collection at my local public library. There’s also millions of videos on the internet. I admit I do enjoy speedwatching which is when you watch an entire season straight through.

Blake on August 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Blake on August 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I do that too sometimes. Especially with Anime. I’ve had Saturdays where I am stuck at home watching the kids so I’ve watched an entire 12-14 episode series all at once. Makes for a very smooth watching experience, especially if the series is well paced and interesting.

I’ve also tried doing that with American live-action television. but since our T.V. series tend to run very long, rather than being short stories serialized into single season shows like most Anime is, it’s a much bigger commitment. Also, some of the most interesting ones I can’t watch when the kids are around. For example, I’m stalled on the first season of “Breaking Bad” because I can’t watch it with the kids around and my almost two year old baby girl has taken to not wanting to sleep in the evenings. I don’t want to expose her to the foul language and violence in that show.

I think we are going to do the “no T.V. subscription” thing once we move in a couple months. Should save us a chunk of change every month for not much loss.

wearyman on August 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.

That’s the sound of the same note being played over and over again.

CrustyB on August 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Is this the Valerie Plame story?

Steve Z on August 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM