Ron Paul: I couldn’t endorse Chris Christie as GOP nominee in 2016

posted at 7:31 pm on August 13, 2013 by Allahpundit

Let me blow your collective minds by arguing that this is real news even though it’s predictable twice over — once because of Rand’s feud with Christie and twice because Ron Paul hasn’t endorsed a GOP nominee since Reagan, I believe. The only thing that could get him to endorse a Republican again, I expect, is if Rand himself is nominated. And even then, he’ll probably have to think about it after Rand’s initial vote to filibuster Chuck Hagel.

So why is it news? For starters, there are simply more Republican primary voters now than there were in the past who are sympathetic to the Pauls’ position on civil liberties versus national security. The more Ron and Rand single out Christie as an especially objectionable big-government hawk, the more even some of his would-be supporters inside the Beltway may calculate that nominating him would cause an unusually deep party split in the general election. They’re looking for an establishment candidate to back who can beat Rand and Cruz, and then Hillary. If they think Christie would be too “divisive” to Republicans, some might move on to Rubio or Ryan instead.

More importantly, the precedent set by Ron of not compromising on principle to endorse the nominee in the interest of beating the even-worse Democrat could come back to hurt Rand. The threat of McCain and other superhawks crossing the aisle to vote for Hillary if Rand’s nominated is real. If/when McCain does it, he’ll point back to the fact that not only did Ron Paul refuse to endorse him in 2008, he was preemptively non-endorsing potential nominees like Christie right up to the 2016 cycle. And, McCain will add, he was right to do so; people need to do what they think is best for America on balance in choosing a president, not toe the party line out of mindless loyalty. This is why, I think, Rand decided to endorse Romney last year — to the great consternation of grassroots libertarians — even after Ron refused. He had his eye on 2016 already and knew he was vulnerable potentially to hawks pointing to his dad as someone who bucked partisan affiliation in presidential elections. Rand did his best to make that harder for them by backing Mitt, but there’s only so much mileage to be had from that. I thought maybe Ron, when asked this time, would be coy about potentially endorsing some of Rand’s GOP rivals on the theory that Hillary Must Be Stopped no matter what our other differences. Rand then could have pointed back at that down the road as part of a “unity” plea, as proof that even his famously contrarian dad thought the party should pull together to stop the spread of statism. Instead, he got this. Oh well.

Comments

Christie? And y’all thought 2012′s turnout was low…

rogerb on August 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I agree. Can’t endorse Christie. Couldn’t even hold my nose and vote for him….Probably not.

KCB on August 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM

The perils of being the son of an iconoclast, I suppose.

Still, if McCain tries pulling “the sins of the father” card, that could get very ugly, for everyone involved.

Including Frau Pantsuit…

JohnGalt23 on August 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Christie’s nomination would be the end of the GOP. If you thought a lot of people stayed home or voted third party with Mitt ….

bw222 on August 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Christie is a disgrace.

bluegill on August 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Christie? And y’all thought 2012′s turnout was low…

rogerb on August 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM

But, but he is the only electable candidate. :)

melle1228 on August 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Palin thinks he is a disgrace.

KCB on August 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM

But Ann Colter will. And she’ll convince us that “Only Christie is electable”.

The GOP is going to learn a hard lesson again in ’16 if they keep pushing guys like Christie on us.

portlandon on August 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Palin thinks he is a disgrace.

KCB on August 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM

He=Christie

KCB on August 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Real? Who cares? McCain, Graham and their ilk are the real whackobirds.

Superhawk now equals invading other countries, breaking things, nation-building and being advocates for the Muslim Brotherhood and worse (Let’s arm the Syrian rebels, who are affiliated with Al Qaeda, the same group responsible for attacking us on 9/11!!!).

Good luck with that and, in the very real likelihood that McCain would ‘cross the aisle,’ well, he spends so much time there, who would notice?

Besides, I’m hoping for another outcome for Senator Insane before 2016.

Resist We Much on August 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I’ve held my nose for the last time and I’m really sick of load mouth egotistical narcissist politicians.

ldbgcoleman on August 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM

KCB on August 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM

ISWYDT.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM

;-)

KCB on August 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM

They’re looking for an establishment candidate who can beat down the insurgents, and too bad if he can’t beat Hillary.

The establishment has made its peace with social liberalism, because key donors are social liberals. It’s all for amnesty too.

That’s why it’s important to beat the right, but not important to beat the Democratic Party, which enacts policies the establishment “right” has only tepid and trivial differences with.

After all, whether it’s win, lose or an ORCA-style fiasco in the general, the consultants get paid. This is a gig, not a cause.

David Blue on August 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Real? Who cares? McCain, Graham and their ilk are the real whackobirds.

Resist We Much on August 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM

They’re dismanting the GOP as deeply and rapidly as Obama is dismantling the USA.

beatcanvas on August 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Big Guys often have issues with little or average guys with principles.

If I had a son he could be like Paul, except I’m not old enough while Chris reminds me of this fat kid who smacked me around and then tossed me in rose bushes for beating the crap out of his little brother who was a world class jerk.

Then my cousin approached the hulking Chris fatso and told him that he hated his little brother also. He got THE SAME ANGRY look on his face as the governor and ended up next to me in the bushes. You know what kind of adult my cousin became. No sense.

My cousin volunteered for the Marines, almost starved himself and his family instead of taking food stamps when his gas station had the road ripped up in front of it, would pick up every stray animal he saw, proudly held my coat in fifty street fights and treated me like a hero whether I won or lost. He stopped the car one night and went up to a crown of local blacks and asked me to follow.

Apparently the biggest one owed him $10 since he fixed a tire for him on credit. The one who owed him was a felon and could have killed both of us since we never had pen knives. Everyone was polite and the guy said he would be in to pay within a week. It was the principle of the thing. I never brought up again since i din’t want to get pressed into the street collection business over $10 so I shall never know if he was paid.

IlikedAUH2O on August 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM

From Frank Rich (!!!):

Washington may be a dysfunctional place to govern, but it’s working better than ever as a marketplace for cashing in. And that’s thanks, more than anything, to the Democratic Establishment.

The Stench of the Potomac

Resist We Much on August 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Real? Who cares? McCain, Graham and their ilk are the real whackobirds.

Besides, I’m hoping for another outcome for Senator Insane before 2016.

Resist We Much on August 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Exactamundo.

M240H on August 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM

But Christie is going to support the GOP candidate against Booker!!!!!

SouthernGent on August 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM

No thanks. If the Fat Man is the nominee I’m burning that part of the ballot.

Bishop on August 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I meant that the heavy kid had the same mannerisms as the noble governor and that angry face from Easter Island is one of them and gives me a chill. I know it only tooo well. Well, you knew I went back after the big kid a few or more times..didn’t you? And the gov’t says there aren’t types in this life…I didn’t say I one over the huge guy until the last one, though.

IlikedAUH2O on August 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM

The one thing Christie does well and should stick with it:

Governor of New Jersey.

BigWyo on August 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM

The GOP thinks they have won they last two presidential elections by defeating the conservative candidates. They don’t care about beating the dem, not a dime’s worth of difference between them.

Panther on August 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM

More Friendly-Fire,me thinks!!

canopfor on August 13, 2013 at 8:04 PM

The one thing Christie does well and should stick with it:

Governor of New Jersey. Cinnebuns

BigWyo on August 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM

FIFM

RickB on August 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM

None of us are going to endorse him either. He’s not a conservative.

He’s a slime bag libtard fatass loud mouth.

TX-96 on August 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

This comment by Ron Paul is not a problem for his son. Now if Rand Paul said he wouldn’t support Krispy that would be very big news and would hurt Rand’s chances. But Ron Paul has always been cranky and independent and there’s nothing new to see here.

But the battle lines are sharpening. My gut tells me there will be more acrimony between Republican factions this year than has ever been the case in my lifetime. As far as I was personally concerned, even Mitt was an acceptable compromise candidate for the last election, whereas Jeb, Rubio or Fat and Furious will never be. No way.

Burke on August 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM

TX-96 on August 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

His fat doesn’t bother me-his political views/values bother me a lot.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Rand may not be all you would like him to be. He is however a decent thinker and is setting a course he thinks best.

Bmore on August 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Oh…I should add. I am done towing any political party line. Never again will I compromise to the degree I have in the recent past. Presented with 0 was I thought an evil thing. It had to be stopped at all costs. Well it wasn’t. All bets are off now. I will only support those who value my philosophical viewpoint. Some yesterday referred to me as an absolutists. He did not understand its true meaning. I do. No politician will be all the things I seek. Rand does represent some of what I agree with. Cruz being my choice currently. A Cruz / Paul ticket could do devastating things to to the D party. Its time we do exactly that. I am not satisfied to sit back on this anymore. There is little to loose at this point having seen the worst President, Senate, House, in my lifetime. Fight for the Constitution and Liberty in hopes that both may be restored.

Bmore on August 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Who cares?

unclesmrgol on August 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Team?

Bmore on August 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

If there is one man in all of America who might well have made an even worse President than Barack Hussein Obama, abroad as well as at home, it is surely John McCain. And, of course, if there is one woman in all of America who might make a worse President than even Barack Hussein Obama, it is Hillary Clinton. Obama, Hillary and McCain – pick your poison America.

MSM Blackout? Egyptians Enraged by U.S. Outreach to Muslim Brotherhood

In the eyes of tens of millions of Egyptians, Senators John McCain’s
and Lindsey Graham’s recent words and deeds in Egypt — which have the “blessing” of President Obama — have unequivocally proven that U.S. leadership is aligning with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Egyptian media is awash with stories of the growing anger regarding this policy.

A top advisor to Egypt’s Interim President Adly Mansour formally accused
McCain of distorting facts to the benefit of the Brotherhood. He
dismissed McCain’s recent remarks as “irrational” and “moronic.” Ahmed al-Zind, head of the Egyptian Judge Club, has called for the arrest and trial of McCain for “trying to destroy Egypt.” The leader of the youth movement Tamarod (meaning “Rebellion,” against the Brotherhood), which played a major role in mobilizing the June 30 revolution, said: “We reject John McCain
and call on the international community to let the [Egyptian] people
decide their own fate.”

Secular political commentator Ahmed Musa asserted:

These two men have made more shameless demands than the Brotherhood themselves would dare. [McCain] is not a man elected by the American people to speak on their behalf; today, he speaks on behalf of an armed terrorist organization — the Muslim Brotherhood. … We had expected [better] from these two men who came to speak with the tongue of the Brotherhood’s leadership, as if they had been recruited as two new leaders of the Brotherhood, which killed, destroyed, and burned in al-Muqattam, and now
in Rab‘a al-Adawiya [the main Brotherhood militant camp]. The only thing missing is to see them in Rab‘a, surrounded by armed groups, and in their midst Muhammad Badie [supreme leader of the Brotherhood] and [U.S. Ambassador] Anne Patterson. That’s all that’s missing! Here comes
Brother McCain today saying that we must “release the [Brotherhood]
prisoners”.

Are you not aware that these people are accused of murder? Are you
not aware that hundreds of Egyptians have been killed at the hands of
the Brotherhood, Morsi, Shatter, Qatatni, Badie, Baltagi — have you
forgotten? Did you not read the report on what happened? Or did you just
blindly accept your ambassador’s words that it was a coup, that 33
million people did not go out?

Further angering Egyptians is McCain’s insistence that all arrested
Brotherhood members and other Islamists be released from prison. As Musa
said, McCain’s stance does not address that Brotherhood leadership is
awaiting trial on serious charges: inciting terrorism, causing the murder of Egyptians, and grand treason by conspiring with foreign powers against Egypt’s interests.

Egyptian media has also pointed out that McCain repeatedly dodged critical questions by Egyptian journalists at a press conference. When asked about the fact that the Brotherhood in Rab‘a was armed to the teeth, and — with the aid of al-Qaeda — was killing and terrorizing innocent Egyptians, McCain
ignored the question. (Similarly, McCain has not answered as to why he
is supports the jihadist rebellion in Syria, which has seen the slaughter and displacement of thousands of Christians, beheadings, and “legitimized rapes” by foreign jihadis. McCain is in favor of arming them.)

Many Egyptians are also wondering why McCain — as well as the Obama
administration — is pushing for elections as soon as possible. Such a
rush contributed to the empowerment of the Brotherhood in the first
place: once the long-entrenched Mubarak was removed from power, the only
party that was organized and ready to campaign was the Brotherhood.
Secular Egyptian parties wanted to postpone the 2012 elections in order
to mobilize their campaigns, but the U.S. was adamant that Egypt hold
elections immediately. When the military wished to perform a recount,
citing irregularities in the elections — including widespread
allegations of voter fraud by the Brotherhood — Hillary Clinton
chastised them and called for a winner to be declared as soon as
possible.
This turned out to be Morsi, by a tiny margin — if that.

McCain’s remarks and actions in Egypt have further confirmed the
popular narrative — as memorably displayed by countless anti-Brotherhood and anti-Obama placards raised during the June 30 revolution — that
U.S. leadership is aligned with the Brotherhood, and thus ultimately a supporter of terrorism. Americans can no longer afford to ignore this serious accusation with broad implications.

VorDaj on August 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Shouldn’t everyone be spending their energy attacking Hillary?

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Ron Paul hasn’t endorsed a GOP nominee since Reagan

Would he endorse his own son?

davidk on August 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Shouldn’t everyone be spending their energy attacking Hillary?

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM

She may not even be the Democratic nominee, but Christie will certainly be doing his best to elect the Democrat just like he did last time.

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Just think, we have almost 3 years of this GOP infighting crap along with the birther crap to put up with. And it wont matter one damn bit because this country is too far gone to save at this point. Bring on the collapse so we can rebuild with those of us left standing. I wouldn’t want to be on the opposing team when the fit hits the shan that’s for sure.

D-fusit on August 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I agree that Christie should have done more for Romney in 2012 but we need to nominate someone in 2016 who can’t be branded as a doctrinaire conservative. Low income voters will not vote for someone who runs as a conservative.

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Libertarianism on the rise for the right reason. Not for the legalization of pot which was Ron Paul’s base of nutjobs. They didn’t give a damn about anything else and it hurt the brand. With a more sophisticated agenda, libertarianism is more legitimate than when Ron’s supporters were at their most strident.

Happy Nomad on August 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Romney was branded as exactly that despite his liberal history.

Who were you thinking of…Howard Dean?

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Nice try at concern trolling. Now Moby along.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I am sure Presidents Dole, McCain and Romney – doctrinaire conservatives all – agree with you. lol.

bw222 on August 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

All he would have to do is obtain the Republican nomination.

davidk on August 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM

All he would have to do is obtain the Republican nomination.

davidk on August 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM

And I am cynical enough to believe that may be the plan.

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM

bw222 on August 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I said “someone who can’t be branded as a doctrinaire conservative” not someone who is or isn’t. Low income voters decide national elections and they look at brands. Sad but true.

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

So, is your plan to move to the left of the Democrats and promise even more “free stuff?”

71% of all black babies and 53% of U.S. Hispanic babies are born to single mothers and the percentage grows every year. 80% of blacks and 70% of Hispanics are looking for “free stuff.” The only way to win their votes is by moving to the left of the Dems. Is that what you want?

bw222 on August 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Going with Ron on this one. I cannot endorse or vote for Chrisite.

deepdiver on August 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM

bw222 on August 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Oh. How about proactive solutions that use free enterprise and a POTUS who would go live in Detroit or Chicago to get the poor folks in the grove of earning money instead of voting for it?

Bill O with his worry about single moms really hasn’t hung out in some bars I have.

I would add that “If you were ever black on Saturday night, you would never want to be white again.” but that might be racist.

Racist against which group is a matter of conjecture, however.

IlikedAUH2O on August 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM

bw222 on August 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM

No that’s not what I want. I want a candidate who won’t say something that allows the media to ask “didn’t he just insult Blacks, Hispanics and single mothers? Let’s go see if we can find a ‘community leader’ who will say yes.” And who’s smart enough to blast the hell out of anyone who does.

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM

And who would that be? Do you really imagine that there is anyone who they will not play that game with?

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM

All he would have to do is obtain the Republican nomination.

davidk on August 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM

And I am cynical enough to believe that may be the plan.

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM

GOPe: *shrug* “We tried, but the people have spoken. We have no alternative than to support Empress Hillary’s bill.”

davidk on August 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

…someone from Harvard?

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM

They will play the game but if we nominate someone who’s capable of defining himself, and smart enough to realize he has to, they won’t win.

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

So why not a doctrinaire conservative then?

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM

So why not a doctrinaire conservative then?

sharrukin on August 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM

That would be fine – it’s a question of branding though.

Just as the dems nominated Clinton in 92 – he was a liberal but had the reputation of being a “new democrat”. And was smart (ruthless?) enough to do what was necessary to make it difficult call him a liberal. Remember Ricky Ray Rector and Sister Souljah? I guarantee that when Bush called him a liberal low info voters thought of those two.

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Unfortunately, the media works overtime to destroy Republicans (remember Candy Crowley in the second debate or George Stephenapoulos launching the war on women by questioning Romney as to whether the GOP planned to ban birth control in the New Hampshire primary debate)? I am not a fan of Newt. He was the best at standing up to the media, but still got clobbered by them.

I think the ideal candidate doesn’t exist and if he/she did, the media would carpet-bomb him/her 24/7.

bw222 on August 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM

bw222 on August 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM

…unquestionably!

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM

If Christie gets the nomination I’m writing in Rahm. He’s just like Christie, except svelte.

happytobehere on August 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM

You are forgetting that the media fully backed Clinton. The media knew Clinton was a liberal, but portrayed him as a centrist.

Every interview with a Republican is filled with “gotcha” questions and when a Democrat botches a “marshmallow” question (e.g.my Muslim faith or Putin was head of the KBG) the media circles the wagons.

bw222 on August 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I agree with what you say about the media. Candy Crowley’s reputation wasn’t hurt by what she did to Romney. If we had a candidate that the media respected (not agreed with but respected because he was popular with their viewers and therefore could hurt them) she would have been treated differently by CNN. And we need a candidate that could have credibly blasted Stephanoupolis for asking that question. Newt stood up to the media but they didn’t respect him because he had no popularity with their viewers due to his past.

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Rand Paul must be destroyed.

So says the gop establishment. There is no greater sin to the ruling class in the Progressive republican leadership than to threaten to put principle ahead of party.

tick, tick, tick.

Political career over Senator Paul.

PappyD61 on August 13, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Panther on August 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM

THIS x 1,000,000,000

PappyD61 on August 13, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I would say that Clinton branded himself as a centrist and the media went along with it. Why? Because he was popular with their viewers – the media members themselves were probably for Harkin or Tsongas.

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Ron Paul never endorsed Reagan, in fact he called him a traitor.

in 2008 he endorsed Cynthia McKinney and Ralph Nader over McCain.

jp on August 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Ron Paul trashing Reagan for a full hour on Buckley’s Firing Line

Get it right Allah

jp on August 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM

From Hotair Archives

Blast from the past: Ron Paul quits the Republican party

jp on August 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM

kcewa on August 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Go you still believe in the Tooth Fairy?

bw222 on August 14, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I have to question the judgement of Christie who goes out of his way to dismiss one of the largest constituency of the Republican Party. Christie is a North East Republican which means that he is marginally better than a Democrat. The media loves him as much as they loved McCain but will turn on him if he ever gets the nomination.

Laurence on August 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM