Video: Local man convinced that “powerful voices” don’t want him to be mayor

posted at 3:11 pm on August 12, 2013 by Allahpundit

Technically he’s correct. Basically everyone doesn’t want him to be mayor, which is pretty powerful.

So now he’s running as the underdog. Notice is served, New York: No authority figure, be it the Clintons, congressional Democrats, or an overwhelming majority of the voting public, is going to bully him into giving up his dream.

Spitzer fares better than Weiner, boasting a 59 percent unfavorable rating, versus Weiner’s 80 percent unfavorable rating among New Yorkers.

“Weiner has set a new all-time Siena College Poll record with 80 percent of voters viewing him unfavorably — including three-quarters of Democrats and New York City voters — compared to only 11 percent who have a favorable view of America’s most infamous tweeter,” Siena College pollster Steven Greenberg said in a statement.

His fundraising’s in the toilet too now that Friends of Billary are no longer chipping in as a favor to Huma. And yet he soldiers on, determined not to suffer the humiliation of dropping out before election day even if that means suffering far greater daily humiliations on the trail. It’s come to this:

Anthony Weiner, campaigning in Astoria, Queens, yesterday, put several fliers into mailboxes on Crescent Street.

Told that this might violate postal regulations, his spokeswoman, Barbara Morgan, said, “I think that if it’s not all the way in, it’s OK.’’

I can vividly picture Post staffers high-fiving in the newsroom over that. Semi-serious exit question: Is this whole campaign a stunt? Before you answer, read this. I think Weiner jumped in with mostly serious intentions, sensing (correctly) that Christine Quinn was a weak frontrunner and could be beaten in a runoff if he got that far and if there were no more embarrassing sexting revelations. So much for that. The fallback plan, though, might be to market himself as a media personality once the campaign’s over. The “documentary” is his de facto audition tape. He’s a sleaze but I do think the guy would be good on radio; he ain’t much for legislating and his future mayoral dreams are almost certainly now deceased, but he can blather engagingly about politics and has a decent, if jerky, sense of humor. He was more watchable in that obnoxious exchange with the British reporter than anyone in MSNBC primetime. Perfect for talk radio — provided that he can keep the callers talking politics and current events instead of inquiring about Weiner’s weiner. The chances of which, admittedly, are near zero.

Comments

‘These voices in my head!!! Why, oh, why won’t they go away???’

Resist We Much on August 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM

If by “powerful voices” he means average voters, he’s right.

AZCoyote on August 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Methinks you like Weiner too much, AP.

NotCoach on August 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The narcissism is strong with this one….

Athos on August 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Come on, Wiener is the logical next step after Mayor Half Pint. New Yorkers deserve him.

Fazman on August 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM

The only woman in history to have uttered that phrase.

Liam on August 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Laser beam. The choice of words…

22044 on August 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

What do you mean, AP? All he has to do is instruct the callers to limit their comments to whatever pops up.

Doughboy on August 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Have you ever seen Punch and Judy? This guy is Punch.

Mason on August 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Why can the press/media ignore him the way the press/media ignored Gary Hart after he jumped back in in 1988 with his “Let the People Decide” mantra?

asc85 on August 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Semi-serious exit question: Is this whole campaign a stunt?

Nah, I think the campaign is more of a favor to a certain blogger to give him posting material.

So what’s the quid pro quo, AllahPundit?

rbj on August 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

So the New York electorate may not be quite as irredeemably pathetic as we thought. That must be some kind of consolation to you, Allah.

cynccook on August 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM

So what’s the quid pro quo, AllahPundit?

rbj on August 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

AP gets to receive Weiner?

NotCoach on August 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Okay, I confess: Im a powerful voice (love to sing Wagner!) and I dont want him to be mayor!

Valkyriepundit on August 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I believe that Huma, obama and the Clintons have always wanted Quinn to win, so that they can slobber all over her lesbianism and use the office of NYC mayor as a soapbox. Little Tony Dangerweiner signed onto the plan, but then he snapped and began to believe that he could actually win – but, it appears that everything is still going to work out exactly as planned.

Pork-Chop on August 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Founder emeritus Michelle Malkin today accused Nancy Pelosi and Congressional Democratic women of covering for the pervert in their midst.

Pelosi and Filner were founding members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus. Today he is being accused of sexual harassment, perversion, and sexual abuse by at least 13 different women.

Power doesn’t just corrupt the old boys’ club in three-piece suits. It corrupts the old girls’ club in pumps and progressive clothing, too.

Terp Mole on August 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM

If it´s not all the way in then it´s not postal rape-rape…

Erkenbrand on August 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

current events instead of inquiring about Weiner’s weiner wiener.

Schadenfreude on August 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Not to mention all the Sl*tbags he can send Selfies to.

ToddPA on August 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

“I think that if it’s not all the way in, it’s OK.’’

I have to admit. I laughed out loud when I read that.

HotAirian on August 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Does Wiener’s stubbornness make him a ‘maverick’ of the Dem Party, or is he just more delusional and perverted than the average Dem?

Liam on August 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Exit Question: “Anthony, are going to stick it out till the end?”

Deano1952 on August 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Before this year’s “revelations” broke, I basically yelled at Weiner’s people when they were (I suppose) trying to gather signatures for him in downtown Brooklyn. “What is wrong with you. You are sick. You are depraved.” I told them. Would love to have second encounters with these flunkies, but, alas, they are no more…

ParisParamus on August 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM

The only woman in history to have uttered that phrase.

Liam on August 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

It’s postal-rape, not postal-rape-rape or something.

Resist We Much on August 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I eagerly await someone taking that ad and, right after he says he’s focused like a laser beam, making laser beams come out of his eyes towards a bikini clad girls tata’s, you know it’s just a matter of time.

clearbluesky on August 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM

In Bed With… staring Anthony Weiner the Howard Stern of political talk radio.

meci on August 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Well, this is certainly a nice piece of PR fluffing for him on your part, AP.

Have you heard anything in response?

Maybe he can get you hired on at Politico?

PolAgnostic on August 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

“Focused like a laser beam…”???

The only thing that Weiner has had focused was his camera lens on his weiner.

cat-scratch on August 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Who wants to bet that he wasn’t wearing pants in that video.

WhatSlushfund on August 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Exit Question: “Anthony, are going to stick it out till the end?”

Deano1952 on August 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Anthony might as well stick it out; he’s sitting on about a $6M war chest. Blow that cash Weiner!

pain train on August 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM

WIENER!!

rickyricardo on August 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM

“Focused like a laser beam…”???

The only thing that Weiner has had focused was his camera lens on his weiner.

cat-scratch on August 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Yup, great statment by him, huh??

This guy is showing his Di*k to the Country, while Obama is
Di*king over the country…what is one to conclude by this??

That Democrats are DI*KS

ToddPA on August 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Local man convinced that “powerful voices” don’t want him to be mayor

Those would be the voices in his head. Maybe he should listen to them for once.

Athanasius on August 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I blame Hillary’s vast right wing conspiracy…. you know what thugs those guys can be…

2nd Ammendment Mother on August 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM

If you have no shame, and take every personal embarrassment or other setback simply as a way to get your name and video clip into the media, you can have a very, very long career. At the moment, Weiner’s been so bad it’s New York City liberals who are the ones embarrassed, but it wouldn’t be a shock if a few months down the line he goes the Client No. 9 route, and gets a job at CNN or MSNBC simply for his ability to keep spitting out Democratic talking points no matter what his personal situation is (my guess is he gets a tryout as a substitute liberal host on “Crossfire” sometime next summer, and then begins his later media-aided comeback from there).

jon1979 on August 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM

After watching this clip 3 times, I finally put my finger on a subtle creepy thing.

During the 30 seconds, he doesn’t blink once. That’s almost lizard-like.

kurtzz3 on August 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I love that campaign graphic at the end: “Weiner Mayor”. I could clearly see in my mind’s eye it saying: “Oscar Meyer Weiner Mayor”.

I’m sorry, it’s been a tough day at work and my mind wanders.

NOMOBO on August 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM

The only woman in history to have uttered that phrase.

Liam on August 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Don’t want to brag, but, thats not completely true.

BobMbx on August 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM

“I think that if it’s not all the way in, it’s OK.’’

Somehow I don’t think Ms. Leathers would agree with that.

TXUS on August 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM

kurtzz3 on August 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Freaky. Did Roy Batty blink?

BobMbx on August 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Don’t want to brag, but, thats not completely true.

BobMbx on August 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM

But maybe you never met Ms. Leathers or Ms. Fluke.

TXUS on August 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM

kurtzz3 on August 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM

An interesting turn of phrase in the middle of a Weiner thread.

TXUS on August 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I don’t know, I watched a few minutes of that “obnoxious exchange with the British reporter” and I thought he was all over the place, he was distracted by anything that moved around him and he couldn’t concentrate on any of her questions, and he mumbled to himself. That doesn’t sound like a good show host to me, but maybe he’d be ok in a studio by himself. I can’t imagine he’d have many listeners, or he might have people that listened but wouldn’t admit to it.

scalleywag on August 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

80% disapproval?

It seems the NYC will not accept the Weiner, warts and all.

/yeah, try to get that image out of your head

M240H on August 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM

But maybe you never met Ms. Leathers or Ms. Fluke.

TXUS on August 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM

As I recall, with Ms. Fluke I had to strap a 2×4 to my ass to keep from falling in….ba-dum….Bing!

I’m here all week folks….

BobMbx on August 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM

He keeps spouting the word middle class.The whole world needs our middle class.

docflash on August 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Video: Local man convinced that “powerful voices” don’t want him to be mayor

Does his libido have a speaking role now?

theCork on August 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Funny… I was thinking the same thing today. However, for what he did to Andrew Breitbart, I won’t be satisfied until he’s a pan handling bum eating from a dumpster.

Somewhere in Heaven, Andrew is smiling :)

Key West Reader on August 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Video: Local man convinced that “powerful voices” don’t want him to be mayor

Allah,

How dare you besmirch Weiner! He’s a stand-up guy who lets it all hang out. He hides nothing (and has the pictures to prove it.)

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Boy, Huma reached into the Hillary playbook for that one…

hawksruleva on August 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM

We’ll know it’s a publicity stunt when he comes up with a sexy Mexican wrestling alter-ego.

TexasDan on August 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Why are all the women on the left so ugly?

birdwatcher on August 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Why are all the women on the left so ugly?

birdwatcher on August 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I always wonder which came first, the ugly or the politics.

slickwillie2001 on August 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM

“That’s vices, Emily. Powerful vices.”

“Oh. Never mind.”

exhelodrvr on August 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM

“I’ve waged a campaign focused like a laser beam on fighting for the middle class.”

He was misquoted.
I think what he actually said was “I’ve waged a campaign focused like a laser beam on fightinggetting for thea middle little class”.

dentarthurdent on August 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM

What’s with the doorbell sound at the end?

bluegill on August 13, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Technically it is illegal for a non-Post Office employee to place something in a mailbox if I recall correctly.

{^_^}

herself on August 13, 2013 at 3:13 AM

The only woman in history to have uttered that phrase.

Liam on August 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

So… she’s saying “Just the tip” is ok?

Literally laughing out loud here.

That can’t be real, she didn’t really say that.

gekkobear on August 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM