Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on August 12, 2013 by Allahpundit

The House assistant Democratic leader said on Sunday that his party will campaign on President Obama’s controversial healthcare law in 2014.

“We will be running on ObamaCare in 2014,” Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.) said during an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“In fact, we set it up to run on it in 2014,” he continued. “We fully expect to run on it; we expect to win on it. The American people will be the winner.”…

“We’re not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater,” Clyburn said of Republican efforts to repeal the law.

***

The move to defund Obamacare has been slow to gather support in the Senate. Really slow…

Now some Republicans are laying out the math. Stopping Obamacare funding would require a Republican filibuster. That would take 41 votes to uphold. There are 46 Republicans in the Senate. That means that if just six GOP lawmakers broke ranks and voted with Democrats to continue funding, the effort would fail.

Several Republicans have already voiced outright opposition to the defunding proposal. Sen. Tom Coburn called it “dishonest.” Sen. Richard Burr called it “the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard of.” Sen. Roy Blunt said it “won’t work.” Sen. Saxby Chambliss said the same. So did Sen. Mike Johanns. Sen. Susan Collins said it’s unrealistic. Sen. John McCain said it’s not going to happen. Sen. Bob Corker called it a “silly effort.”

That’s eight who have chosen to speak out. None will vote for a Obamacare defunding measure that could lead to a shutdown. And if just those eight decline to support a defunding effort, it will fail. And remember, a total of 33 Republicans have declined to sign the Lee letter.

***

“In a normal political environment,” Obama said, he would have been able to call up House Speaker John Boehner and work out a fix. “We’re not in a normal atmosphere around here when it comes to quote unquote Obamacare. We did have the executive authority to do so.” There you go. Obama says the White House had the authority. Next question?

Actually, wait a minute. Let’s look at this one a little bit more. Did Democrats do anything to help create this abnormal political atmosphere regarding to the health law when they decided to pass a major new entitlement on strict party lines? Supporters of the law typically respond that Republicans wouldn’t have supported any comprehensive Democratic health care overhaul. That may well be true—and it also perhaps a sign that Democrats shouldn’t have passed it, or at least should have known that they would be responsible for making it work, perhaps in the face of ongoing GOP opposition. Relying on cooperation from a fundamentally opposed party seems like poor policy planning

Obama’s sharpest words at the press conference were reserved for Republicans who wanted to block his health law, a goal he described as the GOP’s “number one priority” and its “holy grail.” In particular, he lambasted Republicans for opposing his plan without a replacement. “There’s not even a pretense now, that they’re going to replace it with something better,” Obama said. Insofar as he means that the GOP is not broadly united around a health reform plan of its own, that is true, and I believe it represents a decades-long failure on the part of Republicans. But the lack of a consensus alternative is not exactly a strong affirmative argument in favor of the president’s health law. The GOP’s mistakes do not justify the president’s bad law.

***

Newt Gingrich is telling Republicans not to fear a government shutdown because the last one went so well for them. This is pure revisionist history, and they would be fools to believe him…

It’s true, as Gingrich now says, that Republicans lost only a few House seats in the next election. But it’s also true that the shutdowns ended what had been called the “Republican revolution” of the mid-1990s. Before the shutdowns, the Republicans had talked about eliminating four cabinet departments. Afterward, they quit.

The view that Republicans had been routed was so widely accepted that some of them proposed legislation to prevent a shutdown from ever taking place again. The idea was that if no budget were enacted, the government would just keep going on the previous year’s funding levels. The legislation never went anywhere because Democrats thought the possibility of a repeat performance of the 1995-96 shutdowns gave them leverage.

Gingrich himself accepted the conventional wisdom that his party had lost. That’s what associates of his told me (among others) at the time, and that’s how they recollect it now…

And that deal wasn’t the only leftward move the party made in response to Clinton’s victory in the shutdown battle. The rise of the big-government-friendly politics of George W. Bush was another, more consequential one. Gingrich is hoping that today’s partisans of smaller government have forgotten this history, or are too young to have experienced it.

***

BRET BAIER: Charles, Republicans would phrase it saying if the president wants to close the government, they would provide a continuing resolution that would leave the government open or defund Obamacare, and we know how you feel about this, but that’s how they would phrase it. That’s how actually, to Jessica Yellin’s (of CNN) credit, she asked the question today.

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: But that is a complicated argument, it’s got three sentences in it. Obama will do the one sentence thing he did today: they want to shut the government, and that trumps three sentences every time. And we know that — you go all the way back to the Gingrich years; our argument for shutting down was a three-sentence argument and we got smacked every time.

Look, Obama is desperate to have this because as we saw in the polls, the Republicans — it’s the only way he escapes on Obamacare. What he was doing today is addressing the Democrats who are running next year scared to death over what the election is going to look like as a result of the disaffection of Obamacare. So he gave a brave front and tried to portray it as the Republicans oppose health care for those people who don’t have it.

What Republicans are opposing now is the unfair and completely incoherent implementation. The pass that Congress gets, the fact that the unions are against it, it isn’t only Republicans. And the fact that there are these arbitrary waivers and all the elements of it that everybody understands is the arbitrary and unfair. That, I think, is what they are worried about. Obama pretends it’s a matter of principle, it’s not. It’s about a train wreck coming down the track.

***

***

***

Rove said a better road map to weakening the health care law is instead to push votes in the Senate to delay the individual mandate of the bill by a year, as passed the House recently with a handful of Democratic votes. Rove also forcefully pushed back on Lee and fellow conservatives who are portraying the spending fight as a last stand for conservatives to kill the law. Lee was unmoved.

“The best way to delay is to defund,” Lee shot back. “We’ve got to fight on every single front we have.”

Rove preached patience and advocated a plan of steady Obamacare opposition until there’s a Republican president that can sign a repeal or defund law because anyone that thinks President Barack Obama would sign a law without Obamacare funding is “kidding themselves.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I do now:-) I meant Gaddafi.

bluefox on August 13, 2013 at 1:30 AM

It’s a weird night. I typed a message earlier and it appeared 3 times, at various stages…I don’t recall hitting enter…I swear that I don’t drink.

Nite bluefox.

Schadenfreude on August 13, 2013 at 1:36 AM

LoLz..Sorry for the delay but my computer is being a hoser..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2013 at 1:34 AM

mine too.

Adios: vaya con dios

Fred

jrsrigmvr on August 13, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Nite Fred. Hope all will be ok weather- and otherwise.

Nite Dire…too many computer challenges lately…the NSA is taking over HA. I wish I could say “kidding”.

Schadenfreude on August 13, 2013 at 1:39 AM

bluefox on August 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Yes, that should happen – they need to be disciplined so that they learn it!

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I hope we can help as many with that discipline as possible, i.e. voting as many as possible out of office!

bluefox on August 13, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Peter Gabriel – “I Don’t Remember”

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM

bluefox on August 13, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I’m right with you! :)

PS any thoughts/predictions on the upcoming US Open? I’m going with Nadal…

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Nite bluefox.

Schadenfreude on August 13, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I saw that:-) I had Preview Errors three times on one comment, so just hit submit and it went right thru. A glitz:-)

I don’t drink either, but am ready for a snack!

Have a good night. Past my bedtime too.

bluefox on August 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Neil Young – “Comes A Time”

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 1:49 AM

jrsrigmvr on August 13, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Good to see you..:)

PS..Catch you on the dark side..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2013 at 1:54 AM

bluefox on August 13, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I’m right with you! :)

PS any thoughts/predictions on the upcoming US Open? I’m going with Nadal…

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I hope we find good Candidates.
On the U.S. Open, sorry I don’t follow Tennis. Although it is more exciting than Golf:-)

Bedtime for me. Have a good night.

bluefox on August 13, 2013 at 1:55 AM

PS any thoughts/predictions on the upcoming US Open? I’m going with Nadal…

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I’m sticking with Federer..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I dare not look. Anyone still here in this evening?
For that, I’ll jump into the deep end of the chilly, freezing cold, ah
water at the stream’s end. Glade.

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 2:05 AM

No worries, either way.

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I hope we find good Candidates.

I am optimistic that we will, but not overly so!

I am sorry, I realize I was confusing you with 22044…I agree with you about tennis vs. golf.

Bedtime for me. Have a good night.

bluefox on August 13, 2013 at 1:55 AM

T/y, I hope you sleep well! :)

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I’m sticking with Federer..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I believe he has a 0% chance. He has not looked good at all this year – he’s gotten old, tennis-wise, and distracted by familial concerns I believe…

Cream – “Anyone For Tennis” (TV appearance)

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Of being called/considered “racist,” “heartless,” insensitive,” etc…

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 1:33 AM

yeah, those are drivers…that David Brooks can be a meany. But then we have to ask Why are they afraid?

I agree partially with the Stockholm explanation..but this requires another piece…after all they are not prisoners. They can leave anytime. Now, they may view that going back to KS, OH, or wherever is a fate worse than death…all those damn rednecks i’ve hated all my life.

But, mostly, i think they don’t know how to respond. Michelle Malkin knows how to response..in you face. Fight like a girl…guys. But michelle has principles. These guys have a lot to lose…their vanity would take a big blow if they were defeated.

So they don’t know how to fight back…they were brave when talking to their constituents and go wobbly at the first fight. Glass jaws, with the gallows images of Todd Akin shadowing them…BOO!

r keller on August 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Anti, adjust your lack of meds ;)

Cream – “Anyone For Tennis” (TV appearance)

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM

You are the leader of the late qotd, I guess. Carry on.

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 2:23 AM

r keller on August 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM

To add, I believe these insecure wimps are more afraid of what hateful leftards will say about them than what those on the Right will – they know rightists are more polite & tolerant of dissent, so they think less about their criticisms.

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM

The Rovette wing of the elitist party went after Cruz and the tea party and is continuing that put-down of the base’s uprising aggressively. I would expect him to publicly oppose any and all things that Cruz is behind.
The Rovette GOP people are merely using Alinsky tactics of isolating him-hoping to stave off the surge of this one man they most fear for 2016.
He is one who is attractive to far too many, could wreck their cozy co-ruling game, and has the audacity to be honest and actually oppose those who would seek to destroy America and their enablers in the GOP.

Don L on August 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Masters Of Reality – “The Eyes Of Texas”

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Don L on August 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM

That’s about right, Don L. Ted Cruz is well reasoned, makes my heart sing.

This entire thing is about to tip, be unafraid, tell your friends, your mama, too.
Persuade. Look them right in the eye and ask, so this is your untopia, right?

I’d have to be knowing to whom I speak/converse. I can sell that.
Untopia.

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Catch phrase: Untopia.

Just a little less worse off, than absolutely nothing.

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Junkyard – “Texas”

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Anti, one for you. CTA. Swing it sister…
Danny Seraphine

I was looking for the Joe Bonamassa from Royal Hall, where I call my home ..

This will have to do.
Congrats to me, I’m incompetent.
Oh, and unproductive, too.

Yep, that one goes in the journal of tear down.
Not ever going to happen, no sir. I am long gone, and that’s the blessing, fools.

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Early Chicago was good!

I like the first BS&T album better than everything they did after:

Blood, Sweat & Tears – “My Days Are Numbered”

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 3:08 AM

The Electric Flag – “K!lling Floor”

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Agreed, BST, way more out on the edge. I don’t recall the drummer’s name.
A bit more sparkle, but both quite goodness. Speaking of, my days went to zero today.
I’m unproductive and I’m incompetent. Good to know. Filing that away.

Released from the clandestine ‘morgue’ of ill. Software needn’t be this way.
And of course, it won’t, for me. I’m no longer associated with them. Yay!

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 3:29 AM

‘gnite, Anti. So many and much music. Makes me laugh for the considerations.
Big, Black, Cow

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Mike Bloomfield, yep. Is this a test?

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 3:39 AM

HotAir needs a better app for iOS and android.

HotAir could be soooo much bigger than it is now.

One of the best apps for a service originally available by web browser that I’ve seen is the Kickstarter app. HotAir should get the developer behind that app to do HotAir’s. Then HotAir would have a better app than HuffPo and NYT.

HotAir’s current app is AWFUL and practically useless. It does absolutely nothing better than reading the site by simple web browsing using Safari on the iPhone. The current app is crap like all the other cheapo Salem Communications shovelware. Seems like they got a discount for crap in bulk from whomever they chose as their developer.

Things the app should do:

- preserve original article formatting
- have search feature
- index comments by 100 per page, just as the site does
- have easy access to basic HTML tag macros like the site offers

It seems the people who did the current HotAir crapware app (sorry, but it’s true) never even read the site or asked readers what they wanted. They just shoveled the web content into an app and called it a day.

Attention: Mary Katherine Hamm and others
Can we please get some attention paid to this issue? I’d like to see this site become more widely used and influential. Please don’t settle for the low quality of app currently available for this site in the Apple App Store.

bluegill on August 13, 2013 at 4:03 AM

The HTML macro tags should be available when leaving comments, I mean.

bluegill on August 13, 2013 at 4:12 AM

bluegill just wrote 8 paragraphs, none of which anyone will actually read.

steebo77 on August 13, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Attention: Mary Katherine Hamm and others

bluegill on August 13, 2013 at 4:03 AM

She just had a baby. Leave her alone. Sheesh.

steebo77 on August 13, 2013 at 4:14 AM

BTW, congrats MKH!

steebo77 on August 13, 2013 at 4:14 AM

I think the HotAir editors should launch a Kickstarter to fund an amazing new app for the site. Then backers could give all kinds of input about how to make the app as good as it can be.

bluegill on August 13, 2013 at 4:27 AM

A fish is an animal that swims in a brook. Sbe can’t write a poem or read a book. To fool the people is her only thought. Though she’s slippery she still gets caught.

steebo77 on August 13, 2013 at 4:35 AM

How about just funding the government agency by agency, department by department like used to be done before the era of slush-funding two or three agencies with one bill?

You can fund everything else, and that will whittle the fight down to the IRS and select parts of HHS.

Change the battlefield: you shut down no part of government and if Obama wants to shut down the IRS and HHS, tell him that is his problem as they are fully funded for everything outside of Obamacare. Nothing else gets shut down, and with bills to actually fund a slimmed down IRS and HHS, even those agencies could operate.

Would Harry Reid actually try to stop each and every individual part of the government in the Senate just to save Obamacare? Then it is the D’s who are shutting down government, and that is bad optics. And if Harry Reid wants to fight over the IRS and HHS, then that should be a welcome fight due to how the IRS is behaving and how HHS is trying to strong-arm private funding of parts of Obamacare. Let Harry Reid defend these agencies, that ought to be great political theater and offer a plethora of clips for his next opponent and for anyone running against D’s in general.

Mind you that takes a smart and savvy Speaker of the House to pull off. You know, the part of government that actually starts all funding and that agencies and departments have to abide by when spending money given to them? That place. The House of Representatives. The people who write the funding bills.

Too bad the conservatives don’t have a friendly Speaker or Leadership there, huh?

ajacksonian on August 13, 2013 at 5:52 AM

the dems even admit it but its still the gop’s fault that they want to defund healthcare (trying 40 times) and the dems want it as an election campaign issue and to lead it towards single payer per Reied…..
shaking the head

thank you lapdog media for pushing the dem message….

you own it just as much as the dems when this thing goes bust…

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:21 AM

I think that defunding requires too much of an explanation for the general public to understand the rationale.

Obama has established the precedence and opened the door for a conservative President to pick and choose parts of the law he can change by executive order. Obama postponed the mandate for business for one year – a new President could postpone indefinitely or eliminate both the business and the individual mandates and cut the legs out from underneath Obamacare.

alQemist on August 13, 2013 at 6:24 AM

ajacksonian on August 13, 2013 at 5:52 AM

too many squishes

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:25 AM

alQemist on August 13, 2013 at 6:24 AM

can you imagine the howls of outrage when the next gop president will just pick and choose parts of the law to change from the left…
he can’t do that, he needs to follow the rule of law period, trying to usurp what the people want, just can’t believe it
-the left

this president has done alot of things that have started a precedence but don’t think the lsm and left are going to let the gop president get away with it…no no no

I hope he does and to tell them all to refer to 2008-2016 and what this idiot has done and to pound sand, what goes around comes around…

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:29 AM

we can’t have these draconian voter id laws….
where’s the voter fraud the right keeps talking about?
-mj crew

this will be the left’s theme for the 2016….the gop want voter suppression, they don’t want blacks or hispancis to vote…

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! Today’s Blog: “Of Libertines and Idolators: Is America Becoming a Socialist Utopia?” My take.

kingsjester on August 13, 2013 at 6:48 AM

stop and frisk….trayvon part deux on mj this am…

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:50 AM

OBAMACARE COST CAPS DELAYED UNTIL 2015

top of drudge this am

but hey, we going to use this against the gop in 2014….

just imagine the lsm giving the gop flack 24/7nfor delaying another part of the law that is so friggin’ awesome…

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:54 AM

if amnesty gets approved, can the next gop president not follow it…if dear leader can do why not the next president?

does hillary really have a chance after 8 years of this idiot? probably, with the low information voters out there…they’d rather have their first female dem president

*sigh*
we are so screwed

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Sorry. Today’s Blog is not going to help your state of mind any.

kingsjester on August 13, 2013 at 7:01 AM

they’d rather have their first female dem president

*sigh*
we are so screwed

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Identity politics..they milk it. And the sheep follow.
Instead of voting for skin color, they will vote for the crotch.

bazil9 on August 13, 2013 at 7:02 AM

kingsjester on August 13, 2013 at 7:01 AM

you’re right but it was a good one…keep connecting those dots KJ :)

bazil9 on August 13, 2013 at 7:02 AM

yup

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 7:05 AM

cmsinaz…. on a roll

toasted with pb and/or jam on that? ;D

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 7:08 AM

mickytx on August 13, 2013 at 7:08 AM

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Good morning kids!

RWM. Outstanding posts last night. As always, you and Canopfor bring SO much to the table!

herm2416 on August 13, 2013 at 7:33 AM

kingsjester on August 13, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Good one today, kj.

I notice Holder, while saying, “We cannot simply prosecute or incarcerate our way to becoming a safer nation,” doesn’t offer an alternative way to become a safer nation.

Cleombrotus on August 13, 2013 at 7:39 AM

r keller on August 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Agreed! Rove is what is wrong with the Republican party. You nailed it when you pointed out that you don’t hurt your supporters just to score political points… and that is EXACTLY what Rove is pushing…

“Don’t defund Obamacare. (Let it hurt people enough that they want Rs instead of Ds.)”

Of course, we see this maneuvering for what it is… hurting supporters to gain political advantage. They don’t work for us who elected them… they work to accumulate their power at any cost necessary. Oh how the RINOs are sooooo different from the other party! /sarc

Expel the RINOs! Support conservatives who represent their supporters!

dominigan on August 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM

One interview to add to AP’s list: this Powerline video with Cleta Mitchell is short, but well worth seeing. She is a Washington lawyer who represents True The Vote in their case against the IRS (as well as in their application for a 501 c 4 tax status).

In just a few short minutes, you can get a first hand taste of what it’s like to battle Obama.

MTF on August 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Attention: Mary Katherine Hamm and others

blueballs on August 13, 2013 at 4:03 AM

……why are you always alerting people?

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

*sigh*
we are so screwed

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM

cmsinaz on August 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Sorry. Today’s Blog is not going to help your state of mind any.

kingsjester on August 13, 2013 at 7:01 AM

lol

Axe on August 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Cleombrotus on August 13, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Thank you!

kingsjester on August 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM

……why are you always alerting people?

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

You guys are too hard on bluegill. :) I mean, about 80% of the things bluegill says are completely sane, if wrong, and no one works harder to try to influence the debate. Like that damned app — Heh. It’s obviously got to go. I dunno, I’ve never seen it.

I would wait and target the 20%. But after that Romney primary season, I understand if no one else is in the mood to “wait and target the 20%.”

*sip*

Just chit chatting, waiting for that other computer to beep. Morning peeps.

O — HAVE A GREAT DAY SOPHIE RO!

Axe on August 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM

bluegill on August 13, 2013 at 4:03 AM

No one will ever see the request you made. Email it to tips@hotair.com

Bmore on August 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Axe on August 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM

She’s a toxic twit with serious psychological problems, whose divisive obnoxiousness should be tolerated because she sometimes provides value?

You’re an enabler who’s out of touch, dude…

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

You’re an enabler who’s out of touch, dude…

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I didn’t say “her divisive obnoxiousness should be tolerated because she sometimes provides value.” I weakly suggested that it might be better to wait until she actually says something pounce-worthy before pouncing. I also recognized many people still had unfinished business from the primary season. And all this in a playful exchange with Kool-Aid. The second.

I’m trying to ignore your pointless “enabler” and “out of touch” insults. I tell you polygamy is incompatible with Christianity, you call my biblical interpretations “bizarre.” I point to the hypocrisy of many people willing to enforce libertarianism by law, you call me a “rationalizing control freak.” You’re the only person to cross my path in twenty years stupid enough to call me dishonest — and these are just the things you’ve said lately enough to vaguely remember.

Yes — you should “tolerate” bluegill. God knows I tolerate you.

Axe on August 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Axe on August 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Do you try to represent yourself so unmasculinely for comedic effect, or is it just who you really are? lol

Anti-Control on August 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM