Quotes of the day

posted at 10:31 pm on August 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

Long before I began this project, I had steadily reviewed the scientific literature on medical marijuana from the United States and thought it was fairly unimpressive. Reading these papers five years ago, it was hard to make a case for medicinal marijuana. I even wrote about this in a TIME magazine article, back in 2009, titled “Why I would Vote No on Pot.”

Well, I am here to apologize

I mistakenly believed the Drug Enforcement Agency listed marijuana as a schedule 1 substance because of sound scientific proof. Surely, they must have quality reasoning as to why marijuana is in the category of the most dangerous drugs that have “no accepted medicinal use and a high potential for abuse.”

They didn’t have the science to support that claim, and I now know that when it comes to marijuana neither of those things are true. It doesn’t have a high potential for abuse, and there are very legitimate medical applications. In fact, sometimes marijuana is the only thing that works…

We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States, and I apologize for my own role in that…

Looking forward, I am especially intrigued by studies like those in Spain and Israel looking at the anti-cancer effects of marijuana and its components. I’m intrigued by the neuro-protective study by Lev Meschoulam in Israel, and research in Israel and the United States on whether the drug might help alleviate symptoms of PTSD. I promise to do my part to help, genuinely and honestly, fill the remaining void in our knowledge.

***

Charlotte gets a dose of the cannabis oil twice a day in her food.

Gedde found three to four milligrams of oil per pound of the girl’s body weight stopped the seizures.

Today, Charlotte, 6, is thriving. Her seizures only happen two to three times per month, almost solely in her sleep. Not only is she walking, she can ride her bicycle. She feeds herself and is talking more and more each day.

“I literally see Charlotte’s brain making connections that haven’t been made in years,” Matt said. “My thought now is, why were we the ones that had to go out and find this cure? This natural cure? How come a doctor didn’t know about this? How come they didn’t make me aware of this?”

The marijuana strain Charlotte and now 41 other patients use to ease painful symptoms of diseases such as epilepsy and cancer has been named after the little girl who is getting her life back one day at a time.

It’s called Charlotte’s Web.

***

Medical marijuana is legal or decriminalized in 18 states and the District of Columbia, but opponents say it encourages use among those to whom it hasn’t been prescribed. Californians for Drug Free Youth Executive Director John Redman said it can also be particularly dangerous for children and teens, whose brains are still developing:

“When California was having its debate about medical marijuana in 1996, preventionists had warned of the wrong message such a policy would send. Indeed, in the intervening years, drug use has risen (research is now emerging that directly links medical marijuana states with higher levels of drug use), and now more young people enter treatment for their marijuana use than for all drugs (including alcohol) combined. They now think that marijuana is ‘medicine’ –- how bad can it be for you? Dispensaries, many of which market their wares around high schools and parks, have no doubt contributed to these higher use levels.”

***

Stories like these convey the reality that the senseless war on drugs touches lives beyond recreational users looking for a good buzz. Millions of other Americans who suffer from similar disorders could be getting help from cannabis at this very moment, if it weren’t for a variety of state/federal laws, bureaucratic obstacles, and prohibitionist legislators.

Scientific research could take cannabis and find new medical uses for it beyond what we’ve already discovered. But instead, the illegality of marijuana makes research funding near-impossible to secure. And government agencies that do obtain the grants have a clear incentive to vilify the drug in order to justify their existence.

Of course, marijuana is not a magic cure-all for everything under the sun — as alt-medicine quacks might believe — but that doesn’t negate the fact that cannabis contains easily-identifiable benefits, plus countless others we’ve yet to explore. That our government still considers marijuana to be a Schedule I narcotic, despite addiction rates lower than alcohol and tobacco, is baffling, enraging, and above all, an impediment to our medical progress…

[S]ocial conservatives and drug warriors follow the same precautionary principle they (rightfully) mock the Europeans for employing. The mindset holds that if something is potentially dangerous, the burden of proof that it’s not harmful falls on those taking action. As entrepreneurial Americans, we ridicule that mentality because it chokes off the risky-but-voluntary decision-making that leads to innovation and technological progress. But for largely bureaucratic and Puritan reasons, we refuse to allow marijuana the same benefit of the doubt.

***

***

***

“I think there are too many people in jail for too long, and for not necessarily good reasons,” Holder said in the interview, turning from the department’s highly criticized crackdown on drug law enforcement. As NPR noted, almost half of the people in federal prison are serving time for drug charges.

“The war on drugs is now 30, 40 years old,” he continued. “There have been a lot of unintended consequences. There’s been a decimation of certain communities, in particular communities of color.”…

“The country is in a bipartisan moment [in regards to drug policy] that makes major criminal justice reform possible,” Bill Piper, Director of National Affairs of the Drug Policy Alliance, told The Huffington Post. “You see it with bipartisan bills in Congress and bipartisan calls for sentencing reform. There’s an opportunity that the administration realizes it can take advantage of, and I hope that they do.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Stardust – Coltrane

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on August 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Some smoke is more equal than others.

Kenosha Kid on August 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM

The Replacements – “Dope Smokin’ Moron”

Anti-Control on August 9, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Good Night Jackie. Sleep well.

Thanks for all the Cab Calloways.

Schadenfreude on August 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM

The Byrds — Eight Miles High

Kenosha Kid on August 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

thatsafactjack on August 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Kenosha Kid on August 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Legal drugs in the US.

Free drugs in Argentina.

Good Night America.

Good Night World.

Schadenfreude on August 9, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Well, I can’t BELIEVE that we got THIS FAR down THIS ROAD without Representing The Great State of Missouri….One Toke Over The Line….

“Whoooo do ya Love – I hope it’s me!”

These guys used to hang out in Rolla at the Radio Station in the ’70s when I worked there……

williamg on August 9, 2013 at 1:51 AM

The Byrds — Eight Miles High

Kenosha Kid on August 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

That song isn’t about drugs, which you may know, or not…

Paul McCartney & Wings – “Hi, Hi, Hi”

Anti-Control on August 9, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Legal drugs in the US.

Free drugs in Argentina.

Good Night world.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Kenosha Kid on August 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM

tafj is the master.

Schadenfreude on August 9, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Good evening, RedCrow. Nice to see you. It’s been awhile.

That homegrown issue ( along with the black marketeers, both foreign and domestic) is one good example of exactly why and how the government would become more intrusive and why the resources used for marijuana enforcement wouldn’t be disbanded, but increased, and new agencies empowered with overseeing the new regulations.

thatsafactjack on August 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Yes, I think you are right–up to a point.

The trouble you describe is one of government–not of some substance that they want to regulate.

I do see your point. “What’s the difference?” But, it’s that way with EVERYTHING that the government ought not to be doing. Once some government intrusion into our lives is “funded”, it NEVER gets “un-funded”.

So, we’re aiming at the wrong target, in all such cases.

RedCrow on August 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Cross Tucker Carlson with Syd Barrett, and you might get something like their singer, John Drake…

The Amboy Dukes – “Journey to the Center of the Mind”

Anti-Control on August 9, 2013 at 2:10 AM

That song isn’t about drugs, which you may know, or not…

Anti-Control on August 9, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Gene Clark – Domenic Priore 1985

It (‘Eight Miles High’) was about lots of things. It was about the airplane trip to England, it was about drugs, it was about all of that. A piece of poetry of that nature is not limited to having it have to be just about airplanes or having it have to be just about drugs. It was inclusive because during those days the new experimenting with all the drugs was a very vogue thing to do, so people were doing all that at that time. All that was kind of in the poetry. But it has meanings of both. It’s partially about the trip and partly about drugs.

Kenosha Kid on August 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM

St James Infirmary – Cab Calloway

thatsafactjack on August 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM

The Replacements – “Take Me Down To the Hospital”

Anti-Control on August 9, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Swervedriver: The Birds

Something is burning somebody’s learning
To fly with the birds tonight

Kenosha Kid on August 9, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Kenosha Kid on August 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I should have said, “It wasn’t primarily about drugs, like many people think.”

The song was subject to a U.S. radio ban shortly after its release, following allegations published in the broadcasting trade journal the Gavin Report regarding perceived drug connotations in its lyrics. The band strenuously denied these allegations at the time, but in later years both Clark and Crosby admitted that the song was at least partly inspired by their own drug use…The song’s lyrics are, for the most part, about the group’s flight to London in August 1965 and their accompanying English tour

Anti-Control on August 9, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Sly & The Family Stone – Woodstock 1969

Boomlakalaka boomlakalaka!

Kenosha Kid on August 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM

I have something to say to Rand Paul:

Rand, I have begun to really like you. I would be honored to vote for you in the general election and maybe also during the primary season. But, let me also say this: do not disappoint me regarding the illegal alien amnesty issue. That is crucial. Don’t even think about it.

That is all.

bluegill on August 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM

i haven’t seen these yet

dylan, everyone Must get stoned (65/66)

and of course along come Mary (66)

r keller on August 9, 2013 at 3:34 AM

If they’re consulting adults, who cares? Is this a free country or what? I mean, I know America isn’t a free country, actually, but it’s supposed to be, and was a much better place back when it was still free.

FloatingRock on August 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I care because those “consenting adults” might be driving next to me on the road, or driving the bus or flying the plane I’m on. They might be working in a hospital where I or my loved one are dependent on them for care.

You make it sound so simple, but it isn’t. Everything we do affects other people. There are limits to freedom, and freedom comes with responsibility. Those are two concepts that libertarians can’t quite grasp. Oh, they preach responsibility, but they want no accountability for the irresponsible.

You want it legalized? Then sort out the problems it will cause and figure out a way to deal with them BEFORE you legalize it. Until then, you’re just preaching freedom without responsibility.

JannyMae on August 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM

But your irrational fear of a relatively harmless plant, with mounting scientific and medical evidence that it actually is a miracle plant that should more rightly be considered a gift from God, is giving rise to an un-American neofascist police-state which, entirely unlike Marijuana, is a very real and present danger to the freedom and liberty of us all.

FloatingRock on August 9, 2013 at 3:43 AM

JannyMae on August 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Your irrational fear of a relatively harmless plant not only leads to a totalitarian police-state, which is the only way to “win” the WOD, but the police still never actually win regardless, because prohibition gives rise to organized crime to satisfy free market demand, and organized criminal enterprises inevitably corrupt the government, and if it’s a totalitarian government, all the worse. It is just the next frontier of cronyism, America is already at the threshold if not already past, and is something that Mexico and many other places in the world are already experiencing. Do you think we are immune?

Do you want to live in a country controlled by a totalitarian government that takes kickbacks from drug-cartels and other organized criminal enterprises, and maybe even takes money from terrorists, or their enablers, such as Saudi Arabia?

Not me, and I think I stand with the majority in most of the country, and I’m certain I do up here in my native Washington State.

FloatingRock on August 9, 2013 at 4:05 AM

I’ll concede to legalizing marijuana IF ….. employers are allowed to disciminate against users in their hiring policies.

Not just ‘select’ employers, either … all of them.

listens2glenn on August 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

L2G- how is that different from the CO apt thing?

I don’t even smoke the stuff. But if I perform my job as prescribed, what business of yours what I might happen to do on my time and property? If legal?

wolly4321 on August 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM

You think you have the right to do what you want as long as it doesn’t affect anyone else, and that the government has the right to demand I employ you. I’d love to say that’s inconsistent, but I guess it’s not. You are buying the ridiculous libertarian idea that people getting stoned around you doesn’t affect you, that you can somehow climb above all the block party if you want to — and my hiring and firing certainly affects other people by it’s nature.

But I want my right to free association restored. If you are willing to let Mike refuse to hire blacks (Mike’s a white bigot), and Cheryl, the perpetually furious lesbian, to hire only women who look a bit like men and hate men as much as she does, then I’ll support legalization. This is my company, and every bit a part of my private life as what I smoked this morning, and beyond a few small things having to do with basic safety or protecting actual human rights, I don’t want you to continue to tell me how to conduct my affairs. If you are smoking dope, away from work, I don’t want you on my engineering staff. I’ve smoked dope regularly, and I know the fog accumulates, and I don’t want fogged-up engineers. If you are doing hard drugs, I don’t want you in security or anywhere near my money. I don’t believe there’s any such thing as “recreational heroin use.” And I want to conduct my affairs this way even if I’m wrong about everything I’m presupposing. I still think I have a right (and a responsibility) to make these decisions. I won’t do business with Mike or Cheryl, I’ll prosper, they’ll starve, and society will get on with it.

I have a point. :) Until we are free to associate and dissociate again, all these issues are going to be fought out in public, not private. The only way I can live any life resembling the one I’d live is by fighting over public policy. You would legalize drugs and then demand I go with you to the block party. They are legal now, and I should have no say. So, I’m telling you no. If the only way I can have a say in the life I would live — which extends well beyond “the privacy of my own home” — is in public policy, then write the law.

And before anyone accuses me of being totalitarian — it’s exactly what you are doing. Making drugs legal and forcing everyone to treat them as [all the wonderful things people that are saying about them] is exactly as tyrannical. You would legalize in the name of freedom, then turn around and demand public acceptance.

Sound familiar? It should. A libertarian’s freedom is frequently a tyrant.

Axe on August 9, 2013 at 6:07 AM

Good Morning

Bmore on August 9, 2013 at 6:10 AM

A quick reading of this thread says gunter once again failed to weigh in. gunter?

Bmore on August 9, 2013 at 6:13 AM

It is time.

Bmore on August 9, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Have a lovely weekend everyone. ; )

Bmore on August 9, 2013 at 6:18 AM

wolly4321 on August 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Axe on August 9, 2013 at 6:07 AM

Sorry wolly4321, if you see this. :) My above might look like some declaration of war. I didn’t mean it to be. You made a couple of comments, taken together, which could read 1. Legalize, 2. Hire — and I used those two together as a diving board. Almost none of that “you” meant “you.”

Sorry. It’s early.

Axe on August 9, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Have a lovely weekend everyone. ; )

Bmore on August 9, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Have a great day Bmore. :)

Axe on August 9, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Wait, MORE laws that Eric Holder does not want to enforce?

SAY IT AINT SO.

TX-96 on August 9, 2013 at 6:31 AM

dear leader having a presser today….mj crew thinks the white house press corps is going to ask the hard questions like
‘why did you say al qaeda ia decimated and on the run during the campaing’

lol
yeah, they’ll be asking the real tough quesetions indeed

cmsinaz on August 9, 2013 at 6:32 AM

dear leader will be bringing out his strawmen once again

blame bush!!!

cmsinaz on August 9, 2013 at 6:33 AM

YOu guys that keep saying ” LET ME DO WHAT I WANT WITH MY OWN BODY ” fail to include the factor of TAXES.

You can’t do whatever-you-want when I am paying for your screwups, medically, socially or however else my tax money is being used to assist you with your drug or lifestyle problems, be it food stamps, disability or any other assistance because you cant work after being an addict. Or paying for YOUR medical problems with my health insurance premiums. If you are a drug user, either you pay more for coverage, or you don’t get coverage for self destructive lifestyles of ingesting poisons.

AFTER we remove these programs completely from existence, and stop coddling the criminals who commit crimes while high or drunk, then we can make all the substances you want, legal. But not before.

I’m not paying for it.

TX-96 on August 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! AP had a thread on this yesterday. Here’s My Take: Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face. – Ronald Reagan “A Matter of Faith: The Story of the Angelic Priest”

kingsjester on August 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM

kingsjester on August 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM

great take KJ

Amen!

cmsinaz on August 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Have a lovely weekend everyone. ; )

Bmore on August 9, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Have a great day Bmore. :)

Axe on August 9, 2013 at 6:27 AM

G R U M B L E

listens2glenn on August 9, 2013 at 6:54 AM

cmsinaz on August 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Thank you, ma’am.

Just writing from my heart.

kingsjester on August 9, 2013 at 6:55 AM

kingsjester on August 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Whoever typed that up must be some kind of ‘evangelical extremist’.

listens2glenn on August 9, 2013 at 7:03 AM

kingsjester on August 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Whoever typed that up must be some kind of ‘evangelical extremist’.

listens2glenn on August 9, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Oh, wait . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : )
Very well stated.

listens2glenn on August 9, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Oh, wait . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : )
Very well stated.

listens2glenn on August 9, 2013 at 7:05 AM

G R U M B L E

listens2glenn on August 9, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Well. At the risk of chit chatting, I see that L2G is in a really interesting place this morning. :)

Have a great day, L2G!

Axe on August 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Have a great day, L2G!

Axe on August 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Same to you, buddy ! . . . : )

listens2glenn on August 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM

listens2glenn on August 9, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Thank you!

kingsjester on August 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM

kingsjester on August 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM

I see you were inspired. :)
Nice job!

bazil9 on August 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM

bazil9 on August 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Thanks, doll!

kingsjester on August 9, 2013 at 7:34 AM

FloatingRock on August 9, 2013 at 4:05 AM

hear, hear!

bazil9 on August 9, 2013 at 7:44 AM

If we end the welfare state with the same amendment in which we legalize drugs, I’m fine with that arrangement.

You torch your brain on dope, you don’t get to retire on my dime.

TexasDan on August 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Medical marijuana is a total joke. If people want legalized recreational pot, that’s one thing, but this obnoxious claim to lobby for “medical marijuana” is intellectually offensive.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I have a little anecdotal info on this… I know a girl with MS that has been using marijuana for years. She runs a modestly successful small business and is a responsible citizen, in spite of her illegal use of marijuana. She has tried all sorts of prescribed (and expensive) pharmacueticals with little or no relief. Three or four bong hits over the course of the day are the difference between going out of the house to work, or laying in a recliner all day with her legs on fire. After knowing her for 15 years or so, I’m inclined to take her word for it.

YMMV…

PointnClick on August 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

up here in my native Washington State.

FloatingRock on August 9, 2013 at 4:05 AM

That explains a lot.

“…miracle plant…” “…gift from God…”
BWAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell you what…I won’t object to you getting stoned and driving down the highway if you won’t carp about alcohol users getting wasted and doing the same thing.

Deal?

Solaratov on August 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Bmore on August 9, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Gunter requires a substantially more serious conversational atmosphere…with less chit-chat.
There are important subjects to discuss (not to mention whine and snivel about); and gunter cannot waste time with frivolous chatter that belongs on Twitter…not a serious venue.

Solaratov on August 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Axe on August 9, 2013 at 6:07 AM

Except for never having tried, nor ever will, thank you for writing all that, Axe. No one summed it up better.

Instead, obama, who s/b rebuilding a home in Detroit, with Michelle, to set a real good example, will go to Martha’s Vineyard today, where there live NO blacks. Meanwhile he’ll have Holder institute a “you move blacks into your neighborhoods, all of them”…yes, it’s dopey, for anyone who thinks about it.

Schadenfreude on August 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM

You torch your brain on dope, you don’t get to (live and) retire on my dime.

TexasDan on August 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Fify – it’s significant.

Schadenfreude on August 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Bmore, have a good one too.

Schadenfreude on August 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM

With friends like these, how can Paul Ryan lose? Well, he doesn’t,
the only loss is our Country and the American People.

All from Facebook and the CEO himself and other co-horts.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg’s lobbying outfit has launched a $350,000 ad buy to defend House Budget Committee chairman Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) amid his push for comprehensive immigration reform. Politico reports that Zuckerberg’s FWD.us-run group, Americans for a Conservative Direction, has bought up $350,000 worth of television ad airtime targeted at Ryan’s district.

Maybe this will wake up Ryan’s District and they will find an American Patriot to run against him and win. Then Zuckerbert loses and America wins!!

bluefox on August 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Sound familiar? It should. A libertarian’s freedom is frequently a tyrant.

Axe on August 9, 2013 at 6:07 AM

“Freedom is slavery!” says every rationalizing control freak.

I’m not paying for it.

TX-96 on August 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM

You are already are, whether you think you are or not.

Anti-Control on August 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Can you imagine being that terrified child — wondering if you should jump from a speeding car or stay in the car and end up in an accident, and which one would cause the most damage?

And yes, this is the position your own father put you in!

Police say that marijuana was in plain sight in the car. Gilman was charged with multiple counts. The Jeep driver, thankfully, was in fair condiition.

unclesmrgol on August 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Hours later, the child’s condition wasn’t improving so they took her to Verdugo Hills Hospital.

About midnight, police responded to the hospital, where doctors confirmed that the child tested positive for THC, an active ingredient of marijuana, Lorenz said. The parents, of Montrose, told police they believed their daughter “consumed” marijuana at the day-care home, he added.

unclesmrgol on August 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM