Video: Obscure workplace-violence trial starts

posted at 8:41 am on August 6, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

At least CNN is paying attention, even though the defendant here isn’t named Casey Anthony, George Zimmerman, or Jodi Arias.  And let’s give them a little more credit than that, too, for a report that focuses more on the victims that will have to endure cross-examination from Nidal Hasan, who will represent himself in the court-martial that starts today:

Hasan will only call two witnesses for his own defense, but CNN doesn’t specify who they may be. However, Hasan himself began conducting his defense in the media yesterday, releasing two excerpts — if they can be called that — from his sanity-board review to Fox News. Neither excerpt deals with the conclusion of the review, but the second contains handwritten marginal notes from Hasan that will apparently form the core of his defense:

The note says, “We are (im?)perfect Muslims trying to establish the perfect religion of All-Mighty Allah as supreme on the land.” This parallels the analysis from the sanity board that essentially restates Hasan’s own testimony to the board that he determined that America was at war with Muslims, and that he was fighting on the wrong side. That’s going to play hob with both Hasan’s hopes for an acquittal and for the current Obama administration treatment of the Fort Hood shooting as an incident of workplace violence rather than terrorism.

Comments

May the jury deem he is in need of 72 virgins.

hillsoftx on August 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM

What is this Texas thingy you speak of?

Yahoo News Voter responds (in driv-thru on the way to drop the kids off for Summer Camp).

Oh yeah, that’s some Muslim guy that was upset about his Workers Comp claim or something?

That’s terrible. Hey Brittany get your hands out of your brothers’ fries. Evan, let go of that, give it to your Sister. Where did I put that pile of napkins they gave me? Oh, I’m sorry what were you talking about?

…and the world goes on as normal.

PappyD61 on August 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Expect this trial to get minimal media coverage.

bw222 on August 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

This is one of those local stories, right?

trubble on August 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I can see Hassan spending his time trying to file away the bars in his cell muttering “allah hack bars, dammit!”

Flange on August 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

The Quran and his right hand?

Gatsu on August 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Remember now — according to liberals, Christians who advocate the supremacy of Christ are crazy, divisive, homophobic bigots.

With Hasan, they’ll stick with their precious Obama and say this is just a little matter from a pious man who holds to his faith with deep conviction. Anyone who says otherwise is an Islamophobe.

Liam on August 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Flange on August 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Thread winner!

Liam on August 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

So. . . being a devout muslim is evidence of insanity? Is that idea what Dear Liar’s regime is trying to push?

OK, nice to know that.

rbj on August 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Hasan renounced his citizenship (in a manifest to fox I believe), so why are we even trying him?

nobar on August 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Flange on August 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

lmao!

bazil9 on August 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I heard he may be one of the witnesses and then the other might be some iMam

ted c on August 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM

He’s no longer a citizen of the US (per his own renouncing of said citizenship). Does that make him an enemy combatant? Should this trial be moved to Gitmo?

jwehman on August 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Seriously, the Army is going have to admit that this was not a shrink who went postal at some point in time. That they have maintained the lie for this long has had consequences for the victims of a domestic terror attack.

Put another way- General Dempsey, I think it is time we jump to some conclusions. That you’re lying to protect the claim that there has been no terror attack on American soil since the 9/11/01 atrocities hurts your soldiers. Shame on you, you feckless armchair leader. The men and women serving in uniform deserve better from their leadership.

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I just hope that the prosecution opens with the fact that devout muslim Hasan entered the Army in 1988 and didn’t become a ‘devout’ muslim until after his mother passed away (his father died in 1998) in 2001. . .Now why does that year – sound familiar?
Pass this story around – go and find other stories about this lying killer – and do something to counter the msm silence. Ask why Hasan is only charged with 13 counts of murder – in direct violation of Federal Law (The Unborn Victims of Violence Act passed in 2004) for the murder of PFC Velez’z unborn baby? Don’t let this story be buried or ignored – become a pj media and put it front and center where it belongs. For the victims, the survivors, their families – but most importantly – for the truth.

jackal40 on August 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I served with this soldier and proud of it.

docflash on August 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Anyone who says otherwise is an Islamophobe.

Liam on August 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I’m one. I do fear Muslims. At the fencing club I had a friend that is a Muslim. He was a great guy and then he got really into it. He started showing up with some really untrustworthy looking characters and started telling everyone that they were infidels and needed to convert before it was to late. I stopped going to fence when I knew he was around because I no longer trusted him not to do something stupid. I worked with a guy that would preach about how bad American infidels were and how we deserved 9/11. I didn’t trust him at all and when he quit the tension in the office area was noticeably reduced. So yeah, I’m an Islamophobe and I continue to be one as long as muslims keep on killing for allah.

Dr. Frank Enstine on August 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Flange on August 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I agree with the others. +++ lmao.

I wonder if they will declare this what it really was after the trial. Their excuse was calling it the real thing would jeopardize a fair trial.

TerryW on August 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Dr. Frank Enstine on August 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I’m waiting for the Islamic-American community to stand up and say “not in our name” to people like Nidal Hasan or the Boston Marathon bombers. Whenever there is any sort of an incident, CAIR is quick to release statements warning against jumping to conclusions or commiting hate crimes. Eventually they get around to condemning terrorism but it is always as part of a lecture that America deserves to be hit by terrorism because we don’t hate the Jews enough or something.

Until the Muslim community becomes vocal, it is safe to be wary of anybody running around talking about infidels. Hundreds were maimed for simply showing up at a marathon. The 14 killed and 30 wounded by Hasan were simply following orders and getting ready for deployment. Muslim-Americans should do more to police their own community.

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM

…so will the trial be speedy?

KOOLAID2 on August 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

OT: Is Obama trying to stop NSA investigative articles?

faraway on August 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

OT: Is Obama trying to stop NSA investigative articles?

faraway on August 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Only the ones that might make him look bad.

Flange on August 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Wise move to allow a terrorist maniac jihadi to be his own “lawyer” and interrogate his own victims.

Military brainpower must be at a suicidally low level of insane stupidity at present.

profitsbeard on August 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I’m guessing that insurers exclude terrorism as acts of war under coverage: do they also exclude workplace violence? I have to think that an employer’s liability looks different under those two circumstances–e.g. you might have some liability if you had an employee whose mental instability was not addressed before they committed workplace violence, but not so much the sane employee who just happens to follow the letter of the Koran.

TexasDan on August 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Not to pick nits, but shouldn’t that be “Allah who hacks bars?” My pig-Arabic is tad bit rusty…

Kraken on August 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Dr. Frank Enstine on August 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Any company that knowingly hires Muslims is crazy.

bw222 on August 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM

There ARE good muslims. Zuhdi Jasser comes to mind. Heck-there are even muslims buried at Arlington. The kid that I’m thinking of was killed by other muslims in the Sandbox. That kid was a patriot-as is Zuhdi Jasser-but…..

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

TexasDan on August 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Ah, but the government can claim some immunity from lawsuit, and they don’t have to invoke all sorts of special clauses if it isn’t an act of war. The private insurers also can’t pass the buck if they have a war exclusion policy (which any military member would be dumb to allow in their policies), since it wasn’t an act of war.

Mostly, it’s just one more instance (going all the way back beyond Bush) of trying hard to not see that Islam is NOT a religion “of peace”. It’s anything but.

GWB on August 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM

jwehman on August 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

No, just out back where 6 men with rifles are waiting.

IrishEyes on August 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM

…so will the trial be speedy?

KOOLAID2 on August 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Only if it lasts no more than 30 minutes. Who would need more with the preponderance of evidence here?

IrishEyes on August 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM

HANG HIM!

GarandFan on August 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Hasan said: “Islam doesn’t believe in the separation of church and state.”

He’s right about that. Which raises a question I’d like to see one of our so-called leaders answer: why are we allowing millions of Muslims to immigrate to the U.S. when their belief system is so completely irreconcilable with our own?

We constantly hear that our immigration system is “broken” and I agree, although not because the system doesn’t allow in enough people, or give them citizenship quickly enough. It is broken because it operates in a way that makes absolutely no sense. We invite people to come and live here with no consideration whatsoever about whether they respect Americans and American ideals, and/or whether they are willing to make any effort whatsoever to assimilate and live here peacefully.

Someone once said that the U.S. Constitution is not a suicide pact. You’d be hard-pressed to prove that fact by the actions of our current federal government.

AZCoyote on August 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM

The other horrible fact about this massacre is that Ft. Hood was apparently a gun-free zone. Can you imagine?? So they had no defense against this monster.

I wonder if Teh One is going to comment on this case….

PattyJ on August 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Know nothing about Islam, do you?

TerryW on August 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Know nothing about Islam, do you?

TerryW on August 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

She’s quite right. The fact that being a “good Muslim” as ALT describes it is the opposite of being a “good Muslim” per Islam is confusing. But not all Muslims follow all of their religion.

They would be much better off if they left Islam, though. And happier. But it’s very hard to leave behind something that you consider part of your identity — even harder than standing against the parts of your identity that are clearly wrong.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM

In an administration rife with chicanery and acts of cowardice, classifying this as a ‘workplace violence’ issue ranks right up there with their most reprehensible actions. They’ve put these poor victims through hell, and denied them the benefits and recognition they deserve, all because rightly classifying this as a jihadi terrorist attack doesn’t fit their meme.

Obama, Holder and Hillary: these are not fellow Amricans with a simple difference of opinion; these are monsters.

CaptFlood on August 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Anyone who says otherwise is an Islamophobe.

Liam on August 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I’m surprised our resident racially paranoid troll and stalker hasn’t showed up to call us all bigots, foam at the mouth, and hijack another thread yet.

CurtZHP on August 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Perhaps Hassan will be found innocent and be given a job in the White House inner circle, where he would be compelled by Allah to put a bullet through the head of his boss, Obutthead. That would be Workplace Violence, no?

NOMOBO on August 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM

The lack of real outrage over the classification of this terror attack as ‘workplace violence’ is simply appalling.

One of the affects of this trial has to be a launching of a grassroots effort to put pressure on the Administration and the DoD to honor their commitments to the victims of the Ft. Hood shooting and properly classify this as an act of terror against Americans.

We can’t count on the lamestream media to do this – the pressure has to come from the people. Call your representatives and push on them to fight this shameful action by the Administration / DoD. Hammer the media whenever and wherever possible on their dereliction of their responsibility to the American people for their unwillingness to attack the Administration.

Athos on August 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM

.. and even harder when your previous comrades believe they have a mandate to kill you for leaving Islam in any way.
(Not that they can agree on exactly what way is the right way ..)

AesopFan on August 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Know nothing about Islam, do you?

TerryW on August 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Actually, I know quite a bit. I grew up a Jewish girl in Nation of Islam territory.
Lubbock has a visible muslim population because of TTU, and SPC.
They come in to shop-wear different degrees of observant dress(the women)-and they’ll only speak to non-muslims if they absolutely have to. We’re their inferiors dontcha know. Infidel women like me are at the bottom of the heap. I’ve stopped wearing my Star of David-since I returned to Catholicism- but I still watch them with a very weary eye .

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Keep wearing it! That’s something to be proud of.

CurtZHP on August 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Anyone who says otherwise is an Islamophobe.

Liam on August 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

CurtZHP on August 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Porky got upset yesterday when I reminded her that the second word in her pen name was insulting to Islam. Called me a Birther in response…

Del Dolemonte on August 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Keep wearing it! That’s something to be proud of.

CurtZHP on August 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Another associate in a different department is Jewish. He had been ‘drooling’ over my star since I bought it. It was kind of a unique design.He’s got it now. No matter, the muslims take the once a Jew-always a Jew attitude. The Nazis felt the same way-which is why my patron saint ended up in the gas chambers on August 9th, 1942. Her name was Edith Stein.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Welcome Back (again?)

cptacek on August 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM

cptacek on August 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM

i had a long chat with the associate priest at my parish. His view is that Jews don’t go to Hell. That means that I can pray for my late Jewish parents…looking up.
Also-about 3 weeks ago, I found something dear to me, that i shouldn’t have found, in a place it shouldn’t have been. God was sending me a message.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Remember, if Major General Hasan mentions Islam, it isn’t the Islam of peace and tolerance that you all must love and respect. Dang! W could always say it best!

This could interfere with many sensitive American/Muslim financial relationships. Everybody seems on snooze so it’s a good time to kabuki the formalities. Well played those that owe Muslims favors or expect some.

BL@KBIRD on August 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Let me guess. Bradley Manning is one of his two witnesses.

NoPain on August 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM