Former President George W. Bush recovering after stent surgery for blocked artery

posted at 3:51 pm on August 6, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Former President George W. Bush, who became a grandfather in April, had a stent put in his heart during a surgical procedure in Dallas Tuesday. During a routine annual physical this week, doctors discovered a blockage in the famously fit president’s heart:

The procedure was performed at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas where the 67-year-old former president “is in high spirits, eager to return home tomorrow and resume his normal schedule on Thursday,” his office said in a statement.

The former president underwent an angioplasty, a procedure to open narrow or blocked arteries, per his doctor’s recommendation. The stent, a small tube in the artery, will help maintain blood flow.

Bush doesn’t have a family history of artery or heart disease, but his 89-year-old father was in the hospital with pneumonia for several months in 2012. Since then, former President George H.W. Bush has been in a wheelchair.

Bush is said to be in “high spirits,” and vowing to return to his normal schedule Thursday. Glad to hear everything went smoothly, and they caught it before it caused bigger problems. I’m sure he’ll be back on a bike as soon as possible.

Sigh, inevitable.

Comments

Live long and prosper, Mr. President!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Sigh, inevitable.

The left is inherently violent and vile. No wonder they don’t trust individuals.

rbj on August 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

God’s speed in your recovery, Sir!

Cherokee on August 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Prayers on the way, W!

Also, nice bike.

Ward Cleaver on August 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I read the hate speech from the left. I just have to remind myself that liberalism is a mental disease.

Cherokee on August 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Get well soon Mr. President!

Resist We Much on August 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Stuff like this makes me miss him all the more.

ThePrez on August 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Get Well Soon, Mr. President.

turfmann on August 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

rbj on August 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

That’s just it. Most people think that most people around them are just like them. If you’re a nice person, you sort of automatically expect almost everyone else to be nice. This is why decent people are taken aback when confronted by someone who’s rude or violent. They don’t expect it.

As a conservative, I tend to expect people to behave themselves in a decent manner, to appreciate things, to live and let live. I trust my neighbors to leave my stuff alone, because I leave their stuff alone. I have no problem with my neighbors owning firearms, because I myself am capable of safely handling them.

Liberals, on the other hand, are self-absorbed, greedy (always wanting what someone else has), and as you say, exhibit very violent tendencies, especially toward those with whom they disagree politically. (See: Occupy Wall Street.)

They don’t trust anyone around them, because they know deep down that they themselves cannot be trusted. They are violent and thuggish because they expect others to be violent and thuggish toward them. They expect it because they know how violent and thuggish they can be.

CurtZHP on August 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Best wishes, Dubya!

Stoic Patriot on August 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Good health, Sir.

davidk on August 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM

And this nation will never recover from what he and his family have done to it. And continue to do through their pushing yet again the nation-crushing Amnesty bill which will lead to Balkan-style violent breakdown and genocide. And by sucking the life out of the Republican Party and preventing real leaders from emerging.

Eat a peach, dude.

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

To a speedy recovery W! *clink*

Bmore on August 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Sigh, inevitable.

Which is why this country is doomed. Decades of hate from the left and decades of training the youth to hate. We are a fractured nation divided into tribes that hate each other and think that the only hope is for the others to die. Kind of sick really.

Dr. Frank Enstine on August 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Are you on the right thread?

docflash on August 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

be well

rob verdi on August 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

One of the worlds nicest men. What an example for all of us to follow.

jake-the-goose on August 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Has Rat Eared Bastard made a statement yet?

BobMbx on August 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Eat a peach, dude.
sartana on August 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

And more greens. Lots of ‘em.

Cleombrotus on August 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Heh, that picture sure says a lot when compared to Husseins bicycle photo.

antipc on August 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

DU is down the hall-last door on the Left.

F-

Del Dolemonte on August 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Nice bike. No bell or mom pants either…

patman77 on August 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Bush’s fault!

(Literally, this time. It is a fault in George W. Bush, corrected by surgery.)

Wishing him a quick recovery.

No Truce With Kings on August 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Has Rat Eared Bastard made a statement yet?
BobMbx on August 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Do you recall his father jumping out of a plane at, what?, 72 years old? How did the ABC affiliate in my area report it at the time?

” Bill Clinton says he’s mighty impressed that George Bush went skydiving at 72.”

Cleombrotus on August 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Eat a peach, dude.

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

What a load of crap. While GWB was by no means a solid conservative, there’s no way you can lay that BS on him.

The GOP has no life and has barely ever had any. You can’t blame that on GWB.

Perhaps some of the responsibility falls with the voters and the reps themselves. For instance, how in the world is GWB responsible for Rubio being a lying sack of poop??

kim roy on August 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Minor correction to your headline and medical description. Coronary angioplasty is not surgery. A coronary sent is implanted by minimally invasive percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). This is typically performed by utilizing the femoral or radial artery for access. Most patients remain awake (coherent) during the procedure and are discharged the following day. Given the former POTUS’ healthy lifestyle & (lack of) family history, he should be in great condition to remain physically active for many years. Wish him all the best

drivingtheview on August 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on August 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

And President Obama had a historic opportunity to become a great uniter and he chose, instead, to become The Great Divider.”

hopeful on August 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Typo; ‘stent.’ Not sent

drivingtheview on August 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Get well soon, sir.

(It will drive the progs nuts.)

jayhawkingeorgia on August 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Sigh, inevitable.

I can hardly criticize them when I feel the same way about the current president.

Ronnie on August 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Godspeed President Bush.

RWM…awesome tribute to George W. Thanks. The tweets I read on twitchy just made me so sad and angry.

CoffeeLover on August 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

May the Lord wrap His arms around you and your family…..PS: Mr President, even with all the negatives that they say about you, I still prefer you over the douchebag we have now…..

crosshugger on August 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.

CurtZHP on August 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Sigh, inevitable.

Ronnie on August 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I can. One loves his country and the intent was positive even though some outcomes may not have been. The other is a destructive, divisive, useless socialist with no good intent.

We don’t always get exactly what we want or think we should have. It’s how we handle it that matters.

Liberalism is a mental disorder perpetuated by petulant children.

kim roy on August 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Eat a peach, dude.

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Bush rides a mountain bike, not a motorcycle. If you want him to be killed in a highway crash, you’re going to have to think up a better metaphor.

jon1979 on August 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Sigh, inevitable.

I thought there would be at least a temporary lull whyile progresives recoved from the shock of finding out W had a heart.

Oh well.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on August 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, it is.

And yet, I’m growing closer to that ‘realization’ every day myself.

Maybe it’s true, and both camps believe it, but only one of them is right about it getting better if ‘the other’ goes away.

Midas on August 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Wishing him well. He always seemed like a genuinely likeable guy. And despite my disagreements with many of his policies, I never felt that he wanted any harm to befall his country.

Wish I could say that now…

CaptFlood on August 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

George W. Bush was the best President that we’ve had in a generation (the past 21 years).

My collie says:

Thumper’s rule, eh CC?

Well, it’s better than the peculiar form of diplomacy that President Obarky practices, doncha’ think?

CyberCipher on August 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Same thing happened to my Dad. He is 75. A year ago we went in to the Dr. because he was feeling sick.
2 major blockages. Went in to the hospital that day. I guess it’s time to get checked out. I am the same age of Kid Kraddick who just died from heart problems.

redguy on August 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM

He needs to talk to Bill Clinton and his doctor, Dr. Esselstyn, about how to reverse heart disease with a proper plant based diet.

CoffeeMan on August 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM

In an artery, not in his heart. Surgery on the heart is a far more serious matter than angioplasty and insertion of a stent in an artery.

The procedure actually done sounds relatively minor, and usually requires no hospitalization, or maybe an overnight stay for observation. Surgery in the heart, on the other hand, would be an extremely serious matter requiring a long hospital stay.

I guess I’m a purist, but I wish people would get the details right on stories like this. Angioplasty may correct a serious problem, but heart surgery is a whole order of magnitude more serious.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Cleombrotus on August 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM

It was for his 80th bday.

Christien on August 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM

God bless a man who did what he said. Texans…

Thank the Lord.

Please don’t link the crap from some of the left, we know after 12 years they don’t want the man to enjoy a moment of peace

EricPWJohnson on August 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

CoffeeMan on August 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I’m not familiar with Esselstyn’s diet recommendations, but I’ve yet to see a plant-based diet that was worth anything. Our bodies seem to need a certain amount of animal protein.

For a man 67 years old, W is in great shape. I seriously doubt he could maintain his current activity level on a plant-based diet.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Sigh, inevitable.

—-

I dont get the point of that link. This is the internet. You can find a collection of people of what ever targeted group you want to target spouting off vile, nasty things about any public/popular figure.

I hope you’re not that naieve.

Politricks on August 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM

It’s never the wrong time to talk about what a disaster the Bush Family has been to the Conservative movement, the Republican Party and to the nation. W is not some Sovereign Royal that we plebs have no standing in holding him accountable to his deeds.

If you want to know why there seems to be such a malaise on the Right, with no effective push-back against the Obama Regime, it’s because of the Bush Family.

It was W that left the Party in such disarray. It was his father who began countering the Reagan Revolution, and W who finished it off with his Big Governmnet Republican statism. And it’s now Jeb Bush who, with his hatchet-man Karl Rove, is responsible for sucking the air out of the room in destroying Sarah Palin, sidelining the Tea Party and preventing any new leadership from emerging- all in order to pave the way for another Bush presidency.

Where were either George W or Jeb during the year-long struggle against the imposition of Obamacare?

Where are either of them when Obama has been going around the country and abroad trashing America and it’s traditions and inciting ethnic hatred?

In the wake of 9/11, W had the power to seal the border and make the case for a more stringent and discriminating immigration policy that would have prevented terrorists from entering our country and Islam from further taking hold within our territory. Instead he proclaimed “Islam is Peace!”. He increased Islamic immigration while wasting our military on the most ill-conceived foreign policy disaster in all of history. He emptied the Middle East of the ancient pre-Islamic peoples, kicked Jews out of Gaza and stuck the final knife in the heart of Balkan Christendom.

People say about W that he “loves his country”.

The Amnesty bill that W pushed would have been the single most insane and destructive act ever committed by a ruler against his own people. W has been mostly silent during Obama’s reign of terror. Yet he pops out now to push an even more destructive Amnesty than the one he failed at.

I can go on and on and on. These people have been a complete and utter clusterfarking disaster for this country.

Everyone here knows of Jeb’s public comments on Hispanic immigrants, and how they’re “more fertile” than the white Americans, and basically whites are headed to the dust-bin of history.

If this is how they speak of us in public, what must they be saying behind our backs? If they continue to have their way, it will lead us to utter ruin.

I feel not one ounce of Christian Good Will towards this perfidious clan.

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM

My experience, thousands of testimonials, Bill Clinton’s recovery, and science, would say otherwise.

CoffeeMan on August 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I had a heart attack last summer at age 48 and got the same procedure. NEVER too young to get a stress test I have learned.

bernzright777 on August 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM

redguy on August 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I hope your father is doing much better. My dad was a major general, and I’m beyond livid with the “care” he receives, particularly after his heart attack. A real nice “FU for your service” from an ingrate nation. We’re talking a two-star. I don’t even want to think about the care other vets receive.

Christien on August 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Oh, and I’m 155 lbs soaking wet, never smoked, exercise regularly and no family history of heart disease..

bernzright777 on August 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

DU is down the hall-last door on the Left.

F-

Del Dolemonte on August 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I believe the DU is pro-amnesty, like Bush.

VorDaj on August 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Islam brings hope and comfort to millions of people in my country, and to more than a billion people worldwide. Ramadan is also an occasion to remember that Islam gave birth to a rich civilization of learning that has benefited mankind. Islam is a faith that brings comfort to people. It inspires them to lead lives based on honesty, and justice, and compassion. Islam is a faith that brings comfort to a billion people around the world. It’s a faith that has made brothers and sisters of every race. It’s a faith based upon love, not hate. Mohammad’s word has guided billions of believers across the centuries, and those believers built a culture of learning and literature and science. All the world continues to benefit from this faith and its achievements. The Islam that we know is a faith devoted to the worship of one God, as revealed through The Holy Qur’an. It teaches the value and the importance of charity, mercy, and peace.

George W. Bush !!!

VorDaj on August 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Get well soon Mr. President..:)

PS..We miss you..:)

Dire Straits on August 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM

God bless you, and get well soon.

listens2glenn on August 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM

CoffeeMan on August 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM

There are a thousand diets claiming to be based on science, often by people with very impressive credentials. Most are no better than your diet would be if you avoid obvious junk food and eat a good variety of food.

If you eat a primarily plant diet but supplement well with animal proteins, that could work. But generally speaking, “plant-based diet” is synonomous with “junk science.” If you combine your vegetable proteins carefully, you can manage an adequate protein intake on a vegetarian diet, since the weaknesses in one vegetable protein can be balance by the strengths of another vegetable protein. But even then, animal proteins are usually superior.

But maybe Esselstyn’s an exception. Maybe he’s found another way to compensate for the lack of animal proteins.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM

A 100% plant based, whole food, no oil diet works for me, that’s all the proof I need. I’ve lost 100 pounds, my total cholesterol is 135, and I feel better than I ever have in my life. My wife was on two different types of diabetes medications and two different cholesterol medications, but since adopting this way of eating she is off of all meds.

You don’t have to eat 100% plant based to benefit from it, but you should try to get at least 95% of your calories from plants to see the benefits. I’ve spent half a lifetime destroying my body with junk food, so I need to go all in at 100%.

Also, the whole “plants have incomplete proteins” thing was debunked a long time ago.

CoffeeMan on August 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Eat a peach, dude.

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Didn’t even reach the ankle from down there in the mud.

unclesmrgol on August 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM

VorDaj on August 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM

He didn’t have to say any of that nonsense. He could have done whatever he wanted after 9/11. He had such overwhelming support.

He could have started the national dialogue on the threat of a resurgent and expansionist Islam by recounting the history of Islamic hostility against the West and actually any non-Islamic civilization. He could have introduced the notion that we can use discrimination in our immigration system and in how we judge and interact with other cultures. He could have told Americans that we could defend ourselves against the threat of attacks on our soil by placing severe restrictions on granting visas and allowing immigration to the US from Islamic countries.

Here’s W praising the Arab Spring just last year:

“Conservative” media goes to great lengths to cover up the fact that the Bushes are all behind that operation and whenever asked in public, speak in support of it in the same brainless language that Obama uses.

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Classy.

Bmore on August 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Or are you under the impression that their arent people who claim to be “Republicans” who would post the same things about an Democrat President. Too bad I can’t find any examples!

I hope you’re not that naieve.

O’bama Junior Varsity Cheerleader Squad on August 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Edited for accuracy.

Please enlighten us with comparable examples from the right, and we’ll stop laughing at you.

Oh, and here’s my post from earlier in the Green Room. Including many hateful comments from Democrat Underground.

F-

Del Dolemonte on August 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I feel not one ounce of Christian Good Will towards this perfidious clan.

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Another attempt to bite the ankle of his betters! And another fail!

Will he try to taunt yet a third time? Stay tuned.

unclesmrgol on August 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Yup. “That’s three”, as the joke goes.

unclesmrgol on August 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM

We were hoodwinked…what else is new?

However, I will say that given the choices of Gore and Kerry, I can’t be too disappointed. Also, if President Bush’s mere existence ticks off the Leftists so much, he must have been doing something right.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Vicious stuff. But expected.

unclesmrgol on August 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Lifes’ payback.

You eat right, exercise, stay fit and look immortal. All the while your body has a little time bomb readying to go off. It might be the heart, a TIA, or some other malady but our mortality cannot be denied.

Hope and pray that Mr. Bush (whom I disagree with politically) has a long and healthy life (as do all other Progressives).

PappyD61 on August 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM

God bless you, Mr. President. And peeps, the haters will always hate. Thats their nature. Just don’t react.

tommy71 on August 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

; )

Bmore on August 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Bless you George W. Bush, and bless your family as well.

On another note: Santara why don’t you just go in the corner and play with yourself? Your offerings add nothing to this thread. Your complaints about G.W. Bush, or his father, just sound pitiful in light of the past five years.

Oldflyer on August 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I miss that guy.

scalleywag on August 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM

VorDaj on August 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Not quite sure how to respond to that; virtually everything you wrote in that paragraph is refuted by evidence every day, and has been so as long as I can remember.

From where I sit, from what I’ve seen, Islam is a evil cancer on the planet, and incompatible with peace.

Midas on August 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Christien on August 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Ah yes, thanks. I knew it was remarkable but the ABC’s just had to get Clinton in there at top billing anyway.

Cleombrotus on August 6, 2013 at 8:27 PM

VorDaj on August 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Midas on August 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Send a letter to Bush and tell him you think he’s an idiot, at best, as he’s the one who said all that, and more like it.

VorDaj on August 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Midas on August 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Don’t look now, Midas, but VorDaj is quoting George W Bush.

I’m afraid I’m in that camp as well. Nice guy buy nice guys finish last and when you have the fate of the free world in your hands it’s even worse.

Cleombrotus on August 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Cleombrotus on August 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Thank you.

VorDaj on August 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Dang, W takes such good care of himself, I’m scared to death at what be wrong with me.

Cindy Munford on August 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Cindy Munford on August 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Look at that, they say grammar is the first thing to go. I am scared to death at what might be wrong with me.

Cindy Munford on August 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Best Wishes, Mr President! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Slayur on August 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I miss that guy.

scalleywag on August 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Classy.

Bmore on August 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Yep and a nice guy.

I miss him too!

Slayur on August 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Oldflyer on August 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM

What some of us are trying to point out is that the last five years blend almost seamlessly with the eight years previous to that.

I don’t look to politicians for a surrogate father. George W Bush was hired to do a job and he was a complete disaster. He could make up for this by helping us fight against the onslaught we’ve been subjected to, but he stays silent on most fronts, jumps in to prop Obama up with a friendly photo-op at critical moments, and is once again actively promoting his nation-destroying Amnesty and defending Obama’s policies on other fronts as well.

The reason the Right is now effectively leaderless and lying prone before the rapine, is because the one leader to whom we’d devoted ourselves to defending for eight years has checked out if he hasn’t gone completely to the other side. And the reason no other leaders are allowed room to grow is that the Bush family has been working behind the scenes to destroy a true grassroots Conservative resurgence in order to make way for Jeb and to keep the country on it’s Leftward path.

Why so many seem to be so stuck on “nice” when the world is coming down around us is beyond me. It’s beyond bizarre.

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Get well W. Thanks for the liberty stripping Patriot Act, origin of NSA and all of this surveillance BS.

air_up_there on August 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I signed your name on the Get Well Soon card. Hope you don’t mind.

Christien on August 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Which friggin’ artery is it ?? There’s 3 on the heart and the media is trating it likethere is only one. I want some real facts dammit. I used to work in a Cardiac Cath Lab.

birdhurd on August 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Well said.

Cleombrotus on August 7, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Eat a peach, dude.

sartana on August 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

You need to back up your vile statement with some facts…which, judging from your ignorance about GW, will be a very tough job for you to do.

Cherokee on August 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM