Video: The great “Jeopardy” swindle

posted at 7:21 pm on August 5, 2013 by Allahpundit

Let the great debate begin. On behalf of the “don’t give him the money” position: Rules are rules, and the little guy needs to learn that sometimes there are disappointments in life. It’s character-building. Let him slide this time and before you know it he’ll be dealing drugs.

On behalf of the “c’mon” position: C’mon. C’mon.

C’mon:

Hurley lowered his head in defeat upon Trebek’s pronouncement. Trebek then praised winner Skyler Hornback for his answer, which he noted was spelled correctly…

“I was pretty upset that I was cheated out of the final `Jeopardy!’ question. It was just a spelling error,” said the Newtown Middle School student, who won $2,000 as the second runner-up.

Until now a fan and regular watcher of the quiz show, Thomas said this episode cost “Jeopardy!” a fan. It likely has cost the show some adult fans, too.

The reply:

In an email, producers of Jeopardy! defended Trebek’s decision.

“If ‘Jeopardy!’ were to give credit for an incorrect response (however minor), the show would effectively penalize the other players,” they said. “We love presenting young people as contestants on our show and make every effort to be fair and consistent in their treatment.”

The kid’s from Newtown, Connecticut, for cripes sake. If he had spoken the answer, they’d have awarded him the money without question. C’mon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We have raised a nation of whiners.
I’d like to dedicate this song to young Thomas…

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

This would be my pick.

Liam on August 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM

In junior high I had a history teacher who was also an English teacher. She told us upfront on the first day of class, “spelling counts. There is no such person as George Warhington.” She was tough but fair and one of my favorite teachers ever. Sorry kid, there’s no such document as the Emanciptation Proclamation.

Mallard T. Drake on August 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Looks like he was trying to spell Emanciplantation.

John the Libertarian on August 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Wolf Blitzer was not available for comment, especially about the Final Jeopardy rule that says only players with a positive balance can play in the final round.

Rules are rules, until they aren’t.

BobMbx on August 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I think they take extreme liberty at times with accepting questionable answers. I do not know what the rules say regarding spelling. I feel certain that I’ve seen misspelled names and places that have been accepted over the years. I have also seen Alex suddenly get persnickety at times on pronunciations. I honestly don’t know what the Jeopardy rules state. I just think they frequently bend the rules on a whim… Like the rule makers in Washington .

kpguru on August 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM

“Swindle”?

You’re starting to worry me, AP.

Kid, you got it wrong. You don’t get the dough. Suck it up. If you feel entitled, stick to government benefits.

Besides, the fat kid beat you like a drum.

Splashman on August 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Other than Alex Trebek acting like a douche, how did the kid get cheated? He would have came in 2nd place regardless. The prize for 2nd place is fixed ($2000).

Russ in OR on August 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

The girl got the right question. Trebec just gave the wrong answer.
Jeopardy is racist.
Or sexist.
Whatever.

justltl on August 5, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Liam on August 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM

ROTFLMBO!
One of my favorites.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM

This was not a spelling bee, in which case spelling matters. This was essentially an oral exam. He pronounced the answer correctly, everyone understood what he said was correct, and therefore provided the correct answer.

Tripwhipper on August 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM

We have raised a nation of whiners.
I’d like to dedicate this song to young Thomas…

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

This would be my pick.

Liam on August 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Both of those were good. I’ll add this:

No Sympathy

Anti-Control on August 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I don’t give a rat’s patoot….. he spelled it wrong. BTW, he had no chance of winning… find stronger things to fight for…..cry baby cry!

MNDavenotPC on August 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Think on the bright side. If we under Sharia Law, the kid would’ve been beaten mercilessly and his sister raped for the mistake.

On the other hand, 90% of our own population couldn’t spell Emancipation correctly, much less hand-write it under a time clock.

TXUS on August 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Hey kid…Get Over It.

sharrukin on August 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

My brother was on The Newlyweds. Long time ago. His wife was asked if she knew what his favorite dive was. He said, “Bowling alley”.

They lost. Marriage didn’t survive.

Hope this kid can handle it.

Cleombrotus on August 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I’ve people write illegible scribble on this show have it not be a problem.

vcferlita on August 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Other than Alex Trebek acting like a douche,

Russ in OR on August 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I worked with him once. He’s not acting.

Ronnie on August 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM

You can’t spell it, you lose.

If you spelled cheese Cheez, they wouldn’t allow it.

Unless it were followed by Whiz.

Which the kid clearly is not.

“Emanciptation”?

No such thing, and no such word.

If they asked for an oral answer and he had said it without the T he’d have won.

But they didn’t.

profitsbeard on August 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Good gracious, Trebek is a moron. He even said the wrong letter that the kid misspelled-a “t” not the “p” (badly? it was one letter). I thought he was going to jump out of his skin at the winner’s total. And is it a coincidence that the winner’s total has a “666″ in it? Iiiinteresting.

conservative pilgrim on August 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I DID NOT REALIZE THAT “ABRAHAM LINCOLN” IS SPELLED WITH ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. i always thought it was spelt “aBRAHAM lINCOLN.”

Christien on August 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Wrong. It’s spelled: Barack Obama. Duh.

conservative pilgrim on August 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Just wait until the IRS comes after your $2,000, kid. Then you will have something to cry about.

TexAz on August 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Other than Alex Trebek acting like a d_____, how did the kid get cheated? He would have came in 2nd place regardless. The prize for 2nd place is fixed ($2000).

Russ in OR on August 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

In what way?

Trebek is a class act.

itsnotaboutme on August 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

If he looks at this lesson the right way it will likely drive him to greater success and bigger riches.

CW on August 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

In the words of Sean Connery:

Your mother’s a wthore, Trebek.

Oops, I accidently added a “t” there.

joeeddie on August 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM

think they take extreme liberty at times with accepting questionable answers.

Do you remember the Cheers episode in which Cliff answered “Name three people who have never been in my house?”
Technically, he was correct, but that’s not the answer they were looking for.

dverplank on August 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM

…I think his panties were on…backwards!

KOOLAID2 on August 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Hey, I was in more than one spelling bee when I was a kid.

A wrong answer is…….a wrong answer. Always has been: always will be.

Don’t understand what all the hoopla is about.

avagreen on August 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM

The father didn’t use this as a way to teach good sportsmanship. He’s whining about it, too.

Alana on August 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Gee, kid…you were cheated out of that second place $2,000 prize and forced to accept the second place $2,000 prize.

How will you ever recover? You know, from not being able to determine that $66,600 > $12,600.

James on August 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Don’t be sad kid, we’ll make sure you get your participation award.

PackerBronco on August 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM

James on August 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Al in St. Lou on August 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I’d have to say, “Come on,” but from the opposite side. The second-place winner ALMOST got it right. Good for him.

We always used to say that ALMOST only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. It doesn’t count in Jeopardy.

So how is it a swindle? From the headline, I thought there was a real controversy here.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 5, 2013 at 11:41 PM

How do they defend Trebek’s position on anything?

All the answers he spews “knowingly” are written on the blue index cards in front of him. He’s got a solid “Teleprompter made me do it” excuse far moreso than Ogabe.

viking01 on August 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM

The great “Jeopardy” swindle

Who watches that show, let alone goes on it.

Kenosha Kid on August 6, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I love Jepperdee!

Shy Guy on August 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM

The judges can’t interpret what they might believe that he might have wanted to say. That kind of “justice” is reserved for the federal courts.

29Victor on August 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Rubbish. Everyone knew exactly what he meant, therefore he communicated it successfully. And his answer was right.

Most of you people should be beaten with each other.

Axe on August 6, 2013 at 5:36 AM

I do think that almost everyone has lost sight of the fact that this didn’t cost the boy a dime. The winner gets his full winnings and the second and third place contestants get $2,000 and $1,000 respectively.

I did think the application of the rule was too harsh here, and Trebek was a jerk.

35tww on August 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Ok then. Give him credit for a correct answer. He still lost. If they give it to him, he still wins $2,000. Follow the rules or don’t have rules. I don’t care which. Either way in this situation, the kid lost.

Hopeless Future on August 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM

viking01 on August 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM

And, he doesn’t really determine whether the answer is right, anyway – that is the purview of the judges for the show. Trebek is just their face on camera.

GWB on August 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM

If this held true, half of the posts on HA should be ignored or removed because of misspeling…It was not a “major” error where the word was not decipherable, it was one extra lettter…and pronounced correctly by Alex, so they obviously knew what was written.

What other word could it have been?

right2bright on August 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Hey, I was in more than one spelling bee when I was a kid.

A wrong answer is…….a wrong answer. Always has been: always will be.

Don’t understand what all the hoopla is about.

avagreen on August 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM

ummmm, because this isn’t a spelling bee? Just a guess…it was whether he had the right answer or not, and Alex pronounced it correctly.

What do you bet they come up with a series of misspelling’s that they accepted over the years…

right2bright on August 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM

The show has a long standing policy on this point. It was applied to this situation. That should be the end of the story. Rules are rules.

krome on August 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Would this even be a topic here if the kid wasn’t from Newtown? How long will people be able to claim a free pass simply because they happen to live in Newtown?

JohnnyL on August 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM

krome on August 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Yep.
I’ve seen Trebek do things like this before, like if someone verbalizes a “question” just a little bit off, it is counted as wrong.
The kid sounds like a sore loser(even though it doesn’t really matter because he wouldn’t have won anyway with the amount of money he had).
How long do you think it will be before his parents sue Jeopardy for his “emotional distress”?

Sterling Holobyte on August 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Fatty Arbuckle fancied himself a Civil War Buff-so no risk. I’ve seen illiterates phoenticaly spell answers and the progressives on staff green light the response. Hurley (or his parents} expressed traditional values backstage and were hosed by the notoriously Leftist Jeopardy! producers.

vilebody on August 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Skyler spelled it wrong, too, then.

There’s no parenthesis at the end.

Somebody please get Sean Connery to kick Alex in the vagina.

Terp Mole on August 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Skyler got it wrong, too.

There’s no parenthesis at the end.

Somebody invite Sean Connery to kick Alex in the Vah-jay-jay.

Terp Mole on August 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM

vilebody on August 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

And you know this… how?? Were you backstage with them?
I don’t even watch Jeopardy anymore, but when I did I have seen Alex disqualify someone based on a misspelling or mispronunciation before.

Sterling Holobyte on August 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM