Video: The golden age of hamburgers grown in petri dishes is upon us

posted at 11:21 am on August 5, 2013 by Allahpundit

More than a year in the making and bankrolled by none other than Sergey Brin: Here you go, the first public taste test of lab-grown meat. Insert stem cells from a cow into a nutrient broth, add a little electricity, mince the individual muscle strands that have formed (you’ll need 20,000 for a patty) and voila — you’ve got Frankenburger. A grayish-white Frankenburger, to be specific; they’ve added beet juice and saffron for coloring to reduce the “ew” factor.

Lots of benefits here potentially. Mass production would mean a bonanza of protein for hungry Earthlings with no fear of depleting the supply of livestock. It’s more efficient than the traditional method too, since cows require lots of vegetation and lots of pasture land for a comparatively small yield of meat. And if you’re vegetarian and refuse to eat flesh for ethical reasons, you can go ahead and dig in now. But all of that hinges on one thing: How does it taste? A burger grown in a lab can’t possibly be as delicious as a cow cut, can it? If I had to guess after reading about it, I would have guessed that it’s somewhere between a veggie burger and one of McDonald’s famously indestructible lean patties.

Verdict: Yep, pretty much.

“There is a leanness to it,” food writer Schonwald said. “The absence of fat is what makes it taste different.”

“I would say it is somewhere on the spectrum between a Boca Burger [soy burger brand] and McDonald’s,” he added. “The absence of fat makes a big difference. It has the texture, which I was not expecting. It was like an animal-protein cake.”

The scientist leading the project thinks it may be 10-20 years before “cultured meat” hits the market. No word yet on how it’ll compare price-wise to the real thing but, given its green benefits, I smell a big subsidies push when the time comes. As for vegetarians, they’re excited — sort of:

“I don’t need to [try it],” [PETA chief Ingrid] Newkirk told NBC News. “Any flesh food is totally repulsive to me. But I am so glad that people who don’t have the same repulsion as I do will get meat from a more humane source. This gets rid of the yuck factor.”

Post has said he spent $325,000 developing the burger, made using engineered muscle stem cells grown in a broth made from a calf blood product.

That’s enough to repel Liz O’Neill, a spokeswoman for the Vegetarian Society. ”It is not an animal-free food yet,” says O’Neill, who adds her group wasn’t invited to Monday’s tasting.

It’s not kosher either, according to a rabbi who spoke to NBC, unless the source of the stem cells is a cow that was ritually slaughtered, which would defeat the purpose of growing meat in the lab. No worries, though: Any culture that’s strong enough to resist bacon will do fine without the Frankenburger. Exit question: If Ray Kurzweil’s right about the Singularity being near, shouldn’t we expect supercomputer-designed healthy chocolate packed with nutrients to form the bulk of our diets in 20 years, not this? C’mon, food industry. Aim high.

Comments

I have no problem with this, if it ends up tasting good and is a reasonable price why not eat it?

rob verdi on August 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

IOW, it’s flavorless.

ted c on August 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Haha. Such a lifestyle is a religion, not social commentary on how animals are treated. Vegetarians will vehemently oppose cultured beef, just as the same old scolds are now campaigning hard against electronic cigarettes.

NotCoach on August 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

they’ve added beet juice and saffron for coloring to reduce the “ew” factor.

When did beet juice and saffron become “ew” reducers?

Flange on August 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Hmmmm, how is the Halodeck coming along?

Oil Can on August 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Exactly. Fat is where the flavor is at.

NotCoach on August 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

NEVER. My meat will come from once living breathing NATURAL animals or I wont eat it. 75% of my protein comes from elk/deer/hogs/squirrels/rabbits/doves/fish/etc that I legally harvest/catch during the various seasons. Not a chance will I knowingly consume this petri dish “meat”.

Doomsday on August 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Tissue grown in vats is so 1930′s Edgar Rice Burroughs

When the cloned burgers start to Moo, then look out!

profitsbeard on August 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

On Fox this morning, they had SOYLENT

pervcon on August 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Google should combine its various projects and use stem cells to create a guy who will drive me to work every day.

Cicero43 on August 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

So it’s free of all the chemicals/drugs that agri-business puts into the feed, but it’s also devoid of tasty, juicy, fat.

Nope, I’ll pass.

Hill60 on August 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

The bad news – this will be only for the government drone class. Teh SCOAMT and his inner circle will still get natural well-marbeled wagyu beef, and we’ll get Soylent Green.

Steve Eggleston on August 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

They are really just rat testicles marinaded in a steroid solution.

BL@KBIRD on August 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Insert stem cells from a cow into a nutrient broth, add a little electricity, mince the individual muscle strands that have formed (you’ll need 20,000 for a patty) and voila — you’ve got Frankenburger……..

………It was like an animal-protein cake.

It WAS an animal-protein cake.

Happy Nomad on August 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

On Fox this morning, they had SOYLENT

pervcon on August 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Life imitates art.

Steve Eggleston on August 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

On Fox this morning, they had SOYLENT

pervcon on August 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

NotCoach on August 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Aren’t these the same people that become apoplectic if anyone mentions GMOs?

Resist We Much on August 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Meh, not a biggie. If they get it cheaper than raising cattle, or even viable as a better tasting ‘filler’ to mix in with real cow (instead of the ever bland soy protien used today), so much the better.

BritCarGuy on August 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I’d look pretty damn stupid camoed from head to toe and shooting arrows at a stem cell solution from 30 yards, so I think I’ll pass.

Bishop on August 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

When did beet juice and saffron become “ew” reducers?

Flange on August 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

When the “beef” is grayish-white. Though, I think they are missing the boat here. Why not make frankenburgers available in a wide range of colors? This has institutional food written all over it so why not offer up frankenburgers in team colors for schools and universities?

Happy Nomad on August 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

They are really just rat testicles marinaded in a steroid solution.

BL@KBIRD on August 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

So it’s more of a hotdog than a hamburger?

trubble on August 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Um. Why not just eat the soy burger type of stuff? Most canned chilis these days have no meat, just soy. Yeah – you can “beef” up the flavor and texture with msg, gelatinous stuff, and maybe mixed with other vegetable matter. But it only works if it’s dirt cheap and stores well at room temp – which I doubt on the storage end. And since we’re talking about a “calf-blood product” it just seems like you get only marginally better efficiency for a really lousy end product.

oldroy on August 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Can they do this with human flesh as well? Maybe now cannibalism won’t be looked down upon so much.

Er, not that I have any stake in the game, no siree, not me.

rbj on August 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

The platinum-sprayed horseturd prince of the USA will serve you only shitburgers, soon.

Schadenfreude on August 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Bishop on August 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Takes away the thrill of the hunt. You could, however, craft it into many “shapes”. Never killed a wildebeest? Well now you can.

oldroy on August 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

aniptofar on August 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Because I had to,

Soylent Green is People

D-fusit on August 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The quality of beef in this country has deteriorated so much I don’t even buy it anymore, so I certainly wouldn’t be interested in paying more for mystery meat.

scalleywag on August 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Bishop on August 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Make sure it’s a good shot. You don’t want it to wander off somewhere you can’t find it and die.

NotCoach on August 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Bishop on August 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

We’d have to be able to see you for you to look stupid. Hey, where’d Bishop go? He was here a minute ago.

questionmark on August 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Fry it in lard to regain some of that down home flavor.

a capella on August 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Wasn’t it the Japanese who figured out how to make “meat” from sterilized, reprocessed shiite? Oh yes, that’s coming too because plants have emotions according to some uber-vegan groups and demorat pols never met a frothy-faced, glassy-eyed, eco-terrorist they didn’t like.

Bishop on August 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Happy Nomad on August 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I can just see a University of Colorado administrator asking if the Buffalo patties have arrived.

Flange on August 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Fry it in lard to regain some of that down home flavor.

a capella on August 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Finally someone with a sensible solution!

Wait what….

D-fusit on August 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Steve Eggleston on August 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Eventually, we will BE Soylent Green.

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

aniptofar on August 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM

but of course….one of the obscure subsections of Obamacare, a byproduct of the death panels, that was to be found out after it passed……a long time after, presumably, the sale of, ahem, raw materials for the production of Soylent Green to partially offset the cost of the Affordable Care Act.

hawkeye54 on August 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Mix in some cow to reduce the “ew” factor.

Axe on August 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Nope. They’ll find a way to put too much sugar into it so that I can’t eat it anyway and need the real stuff.

ScoopPC11 on August 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Frankenburger, schmankenburger – this is the Real Deal:

Raccoon meat will save Detroit!

Goes great with orange pop!

Bruno Strozek on August 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Just put it right alongside margarine and other fake butters on my “Things that will never see the inside of my refrigerator”.

katy the mean old lady on August 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Fry it in lard to regain some of that down home flavor.

a capella on August 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Now yer talking! Or bacon fat.

katy the mean old lady on August 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Bishop on August 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Do you hunt cows from a stand or stalk them?

TexasDan on August 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Goes great with orange pop!

Bruno Strozek on August 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

In Detroit they drink Faygo Red Pop or Rock n Rye with racoon.

Flange on August 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

NotCoach on August 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM

It will leave a solution trail that I can track into the brush. I’ll find a petri dish laying on its side, breathing hoarsely, and I’ll finish it off with a quick knife-swipe across the throat. Then I’ll head back to town with the little dish proudly hanging over the bed of my pickup.

Still, I’m thinking the guys will laugh when I hang it on the wall of the man cave.

Bishop on August 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

When science can produce a kit that allows me to grow chicken eggs at home without a chicken, call me.

oldroy on August 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Er, not that I have any stake in the game, no siree, not me.

rbj on August 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

They’ve been growing hybridomas for many years, not to eat, but, to produce monoclonal antibodies. It is a fusion of cells, usually from a fast growing tumor, like a cervical cancer, and lymphoctes primed against a very specific antigen. The resulting tissue hybrid replicates rapidly and produces high levels of monoclonals. Making food is just using different primary cells. Tissue cultures have been around for a long time.

a capella on August 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM

But, if you wanted to mass produce “meat,” you could do that now with exceeding efficiency using rodents. Hard to believe tossing food some food and feeding the food through a mechanical device is less efficient than . . . anything involving a lab coat and a complicated, controlled chemical reaction chain.

Rats. Grinder. Separator. Press. Cooker. Shrink-wrap. Charlton Heston.

Axe on August 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Any flesh food is totally repulsive to me.

LOL!

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on August 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

2 things

1. Lack of large herd animals is causing the desertification of the west. Even the liberal think tank TED had a presentation on how proper herd management could revive land.

2. Not only does fat bring taste, just like having salt in food, not having fat will most likely cause health problems.

LoganSix on August 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I’ll hvae the Mcsperiment meal please. A number 0 I think it is on the menu.

johnnyU on August 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Hey, i love meat, but don’t relish the idea of dead cows.

Get it right, and I’ll eat it….

JohnGalt23 on August 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Vegetarians will not be pleased. To my mind the only good reason to be a vegetarian is self-restriction for its own sake, but quite a few people become vegetarian for reasons that can only be described as animal rights reasons. Obviously, this food product will mean less vegetarians in the future.

thuja on August 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Maybe the stuff could be dried and pounded into jerky or pemmican.

oldroy on August 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

How do I want my Meat-Shake? uh…thick please. If a roll will hold it, then feel free to put it on one.

johnnyU on August 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM

rbj on August 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

lol — wth is wrong with you. :)

Can they make it taste like “orphan”?

Axe on August 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Axe on August 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Think of the tons of animal protein that gets burned up in Humane Societies every year. Just a thought.

a capella on August 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

How would ritually slaughtering just one cow “defeat the purpose of growing meat in the lab”? Especially since, according to recent news, you wouldn’t even have to slaughter it, ritually or otherwise, to get its stem cells. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130731093250.htm

bgoldman on August 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Can they make it taste like “orphan”?

Axe on August 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Can they make it takes like a vegan? You know, like grass fed humans?

oldroy on August 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM

An awful lot of protein gets wasted in burials.
Why not go the whole Soylent Green?

Dexter_Alarius on August 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Rats. Grinder. Separator. Press. Cooker. Shrink-wrap. Charlton Heston.

Axe on August 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Hmmmm. So if we use the rat to grow the cow muscle, does that work?

Also also, if they can get stem cells to turn into muscle, can’t they get some of them to grow into fat cells, too? For that matter, when will we get petri dish menudo?

TexasDan on August 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

bgoldman on August 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I’m no rabbi, but I’m guessing that being made of blood defeats the whole kosher thing of draining the blood from the animal. Or something.

LoganSix on August 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Hey, i love meat, but don’t relish the idea of dead cows.

Get it right, and I’ll eat it….

JohnGalt23 on August 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Spend some quality time with a cow. You’ll wish you were dead.

katy the mean old lady on August 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Ultimately we will genetically engineer plants to grow meat. Think about a fruit that looks kind of like an eggplant, which you slice up into 1″ thick steaks that look and taste like the best beef you can get. It may have to be watered with a wicked brew of organic compounds, but that’s our future.

slickwillie2001 on August 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Just waiting for the “Soylent Green”.

Blaise on August 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Hey, i love meat, but don’t relish the idea of dead cows.

Get it right, and I’ll eat it….

JohnGalt23 on August 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Are live cows more to your liking? That seems fairly unsanitary, and quite messy.

NotCoach on August 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM

TexasDan on August 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Artificial menudo. It would be easier to clean and prepare then. How would you put the “funk” factor back in?

oldroy on August 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Could be meat…could be cake. Maybe it’s meatcake!

/Carlin

Christien on August 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM

It tastes like chicken sicken.

Christien on August 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

TexasDan on August 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Fat cells don’t divide. Gotta have mitosis. If you want fat, you’ll need some organ duty. Gets complicated.

a capella on August 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Fat cells don’t divide.

a capella on August 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Can someone tell that to my rear?

katy the mean old lady on August 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

slickwillie2001 on August 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

The cell structure is dissimilar between those two kingdoms. You would need to engineer an animal with a life cycle more like a plant.

– All this is too weird. All the cuts of meat taste differently. It’s a question of the health of the animal, the life it lived, what it ate, the cut of meat, how it was stored, how it was prepared. “Meat” isn’t an abstraction.

Axe on August 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Hey, i love meat, but don’t relish the idea of dead cows.

Get it right, and I’ll eat it….

JohnGalt23 on August 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I relish a dead cow with mustard and chopped onions.

Nick_Angel on August 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM

slickwillie2001 on August 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

It maybe your future, but it ain’t my future…

Doomsday on August 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Can’t believe the thread has gone this far and nobody has suggested making it taste like Rover and serving it at the next WH BBQ…

Bruno Strozek on August 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM

So, WHY? It’s tasteless without fat, Bovines are still being slaughtered to provide the starter cells and blood broth. Why bother? Gimmee a good ol’ fashioned Cow burger anytime. (80/20 is the tastiest), bacon, cheese, lettuce & tomato (see i got the veggies in there), oh yeah, & mayo!

Boats48 on August 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I have no problem with lab-grown meat (it’s probably the future … after I’m long dead, of course*), but there’s a problem with eating lab-grown meat with no fat in it. Fats in reasonable amounts, surprisingly enough, are necessary for human health. I suppose science will find a way to add vegetable fats to lab-grown meat eventually and make it an optimal food.

If it becomes commercially viable during my lifetime, all I ask for is good … and I mean good … taste and texture, indistinguishable from the animal-grown kind.

All that said, I visualize the “caring” bluenoses of the future to start a whiny movement decrying the imminent extinction of farm animals.

RebeccaH on August 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Boats48 on August 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Once you have the stem cells, you can propagate them ad infinitum. No more animals required, which as I said, will lead to the extinction of farm animals. Who would raise cattle, pigs, etc. if you can’t eat them (except as pets or zoo exhibits)? PETA and the World Wildlife Fund will be outraged.

RebeccaH on August 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM

LoganSix on August 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

That was my first thought on that as well:

It shall be a perpetual statute for your generations throughout all your dwellings, that ye eat neither fat nor blood. -Leviticus 3.17

For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul. -Leviticus 17.11

Only ye shall not eat the blood; ye shall pour it upon the earth as water. -Deuteronomy 12.16

Then again, you wouldn’t actually be eating the blood, and there are usually ways around these things. (Maybe they could use bovine fetal stem-cells. Or is that only for laboratory veal?)

And one wonders, would you still have to keep it separate from dairy…

Tzetzes on August 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

RebeccaH on August 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Would that be so bad for the animals? Surely a quiet extinction would be better than perpetual slaughter.

Tzetzes on August 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Allahpundit on August 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Washed down, of course, with a refreshing glass or two (or eight) of delicious, slimming beer.

Tzetzes on August 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM

a capella on August 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

So throw in some hydrogenated soybean oil (i.e. Crisco) to give it a fat taste and texture. If you don’t see hamburger as health food anyway, what difference would it make?

KW64 on August 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM

LoganSix on August 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

You also didn’t read the link I posted. It says that scientists have now grown replacement teeth (and other organs) from stem cells extracted from urine. No blood involved (other than in the kosher slaughtering, which is all drained out before the meat is eaten).

bgoldman on August 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Fat cells don’t divide.

a capella on August 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

The fat cell known as Chris Christie has done a good job dividing the GOP.

Flange on August 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM

NotCoach on August 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Ummm….

calbear on August 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM

blech. This sounds awful.

cptacek on August 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Maybe the stuff could be dried and pounded into jerky or pemmican.

oldroy on August 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

This actually makes some sense, as the fat is minimal in dried foods.

RebeccaH on August 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM

More likely, the real-meat will become an elite gourmet food, much higher priced than it is already, and FFA-ers will become mega-millionaires.

We wish.

AesopFan on August 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM

oldroy on August 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Much like this?

GWB on August 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Can someone tell that to my rear?

katy the mean old lady on August 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Ah, but that’s *multiplying*, not dividing!

Seriously, though, despite all the greenies complaining about the “unsustainability” of cow pastures, there’s plenty of room on this planet to raise meat. It’s bullhockey that we have to come up with some manufactured form of it. The Malthusians just won’t quit on this silliness.

GWB on August 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

RebeccaH on August 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM

cptacek on August 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Er, not that I have any stake steak in the game, no siree, not me.

rbj on August 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

FIFY

dominigan on August 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Ok, I have to admit that I laughed along with others at many comments in this thread, but I have two very serious thoughts to consider…

1) Many people (including several that I know personally) have found themselves struggling in the last year or two with a wheat allergy that seems to have sprung up with all of the genetically modified wheat. It has become so prevalent that I am now reconsidering what we get at the grocery to try and minimize my daughter’s migraines (and yes, reducing the commercial wheat products from her diet has helped). Why would we think this wouldn’t contain lots of long-term side effects?

2) There is a serious concern among farmers that corporations could end up with patents over all growable foods. Already it is difficult to find plants at the greenhouse, or commercial seed vendors, that aren’t sterile hybrids. (This of course has caused a whole other business of heirloom seeds to spring up.) But I have to seriously wonder… what would happen if a) commercial interests control patents on all easily accessible food plants and b) what if there were a large disruption of seed access? Shouldn’t we be concerned when others try and control our very means of survival?

You may call me old fashioned, but the quote from Jurassic Park comes to mind… “Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should.”

dominigan on August 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Tuesday is Soylent Green Day…so I guess Fridays will be Frankenburger day?

Wonder how many D’s a pound of this crap will cost us Proles?

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM