Oops: Liberal radio host says Media Matters Limbaugh boycott hurt liberal talk radio

posted at 10:01 pm on August 5, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Thom Hartmann, appearing on CNN’s “Reliable Sources” attributed Cumulus’ decision to drop Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity mostly to a simple business decision in a radio business where it’s increasingly advantageous to own both your talent and your distribution channels. Hence, Cumulus wants its own guys in its afternoon/evening slots. In this version of the story, Media Matters’ Limbaugh boycott, in which liberals harangue anyone who advertises on the show as only liberals can, is just a ideological sugar high for a bunch of fightin’ liberals in between President Obama’s sporadic fightin’ liberal declarations.

And, like any sugar high, there’s a crash:

THOM HARTMANN: David Brock and Media Matters were leading the boycott Limbaugh crusade, which did presumably some damage to Limbaugh’s show. I can tell you it did a lot of damage to progressive talk radio, because a lot of advertisers, right across the board, said just pull me out of all talk radio. I don’t know Limbaugh’s numbers, but I do know that, on our side, progressive talk radio took a hit as a consequence.

It makes sense that, when you make advertising on talk radio treacherous for advertisers, advertisers who were inclined to the talk radio format would just hightail it outta there. When that happens, it’s not the Limbaughs or the Hannitys that bear the brunt, but the more fragile liberal talk hosts, who have never figured out how to get enough people to listen to their free product to make it profitable.

Full disclosure: I worked for Cumulus as a morning radio host in the D.C. area in 2012.

And, since we’re schadenfreuding:

Twitchy has all the photos of the triumphant OFA Action day in Virginia, where crowds of those clamoring for Obamacare were supposed to show up and learn all about it. I’ve been to Obama-driven meet-ups like this in the past, even before the public soured on Obamacare, and they’ve never been overwhelming, but yeesh:

Meanwhile, Politico changed the headline on its honest coverage of an OFA event in Centreville, Va., where the most newsworthy development was that only one person showed up. I suppose you can’t have anyone knowing the actual news from this event.

Comments

I said prove it because I would like to sign up for that plan.

Have not heard back from him…..

Full of shit.

redguy on August 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

‘Rush is still alive and Prog radio is almost dead!!! Yee-haw!!! … Oh wait. Shit.’

- David Brock

Resist We Much on August 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

The line for the deranged starts, and usually ends, on the left.

In my entire business career, I never met one liberal in a management position that understood overhead positions and G&A (general & administrative) costs were always a drag on the business,

PolAgnostic on August 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM

And, since we’re schadenfreuding:

; )

Bmore on August 5, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I didnt know there was such a thing as liberal radio. As far as I knew they all failed.

jaywemm on August 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

THOM HARTMANN

Even a broken clock and all that.

This guy is one of the most vile creatures to grace the media.

CW on August 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I said prove it because I would like to sign up for that plan.

Have not heard back from him…..

Full of shit.

redguy on August 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I have a brother like that …

He went ballistic in March when I said Obamacare was causing businesses to dramatically shift to part time positions.

Accused me of just “spewing Rush Limbaugh talking points!” …

… which would be a good trick on my part since I haven’t listened to 10 minutes total of Rush Limbaugh in my entire life.

PolAgnostic on August 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Progressive Talky Points go Dead!

Imagine that!!

canopfor on August 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Progressive talk radio did more damage to themselves. When the left lead the fight against the sponsors for some reason the same sponsors don’t want to then suddenly sponsor the left talk.

tjexcite on August 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Not the Free Product that Libs want…

Electrongod on August 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Hahahaha! Listened to this on Rush’s show today.

Way to shoot yourselves in the foot, Lefties!

PatriotGal2257 on August 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Poor little Thom. It must hurt to know mean old Rush and Hannity was subsidizing his crappy program.

HumpBot Salvation on August 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Nobody, nobody, nobody should be giving this petrified-turd any airtime. The man is more hateful than a Klan cookout.

Capitalist Hog on August 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Detroit. Own it libs.

SparkPlug on August 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM

jaywemm on August 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

When driving and approaching a university…
Or college…

That part of your AM dial that goes from static to quite..
Then static again as you drive away…

Liberal radio…

Electrongod on August 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM

As an fairly regular listener to WMAL in the morning, I enjoyed your presence there, MKH.

WMAL is a Cumulus station. I wonder where Rush & Sean will land.

22044 on August 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM

HumpBot Salvation on August 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Hannity is not in the same class as Rush. Rush is very smart. Hannity is, well, Hannity.

Capitalist Hog on August 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Capitalist Hog on August 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Who are you talking about?

SparkPlug on August 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Capitalist Hog on August 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Yeah I’ve heard Hartman is pretty bad, too.

8 weight on August 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Never heard of this turd.

SparkPlug on August 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Capitalist Hog on August 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

…..hahahahahahahahahah….here’s another one!
…pig roast!

KOOLAID2 on August 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM

The Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again.

Liam on August 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM

The man is more hateful than a Klan cookout.

Capitalist Hog on August 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Yeah I’ve heard Hartman is pretty bad, too.

8 weight on August 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Which is an appropriate reference, since the Klan was populated by Democrats.

beatcanvas on August 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Full blown. Sooey!

Bmore on August 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM

THOM HARTMANN

Even a broken clock and all that.

This guy is one of the most vile creatures to grace the media.

CW on August 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

If he’s not the vilest of them all, I want to know who’s worse!

Anti-Control on August 5, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I LOVE RUSH!
I also like to listen to Phil Hendry.
I know, I know, they are VERY different programs,
but I like the political-analysis from Rush and
Phil Hendry has made my sides split with laughter
over the years.

For me, the radio lineup is thus:
Rush: Noon to 3
The Great One: 6-9

Unfortunately, The only way I can hear Phil Hendry
on the East coast is from 1520 AM out of Buffalo, NY
from 1 AM to 4 AM. Reception is almost always
pretty funky, but at least I can hear Phil work his
radio magic. For pure entertainment on the radio,
Phil Hendry is the best. Hands down! No question
about it! Bobby Dooley should be president of Iran!

Anyway, when I tune into 1520 AM in Buffalo before
Phil’s show comes on, they are running the “Alan
Colmes” show. I guess his show is syndicated by FOX as
their “PET” liberal, but it really is pathetic.

I am even afraid to listen for long because I can

TUNEIN
******

canopfor on August 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Capitalist Hog on August 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM

yep.

S. D. on August 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Hannity follows Limbaugh in the Detroit market and, I presume, in most other markets. I enjoy listening to Limbaugh whenever I can but I don’t know how anyone can take more than five minutes of Hannity. He constantly repeats himself – you’re a great American; I’m a great American; tell them your friend Sean Hannity sent you; next we’ll have the architect Karl Rove; I’m a conservative not a Republican (although my show is nothing but GOP talking points);did I mention I was in construction?

He hawks everything under the sun – from mattresses to legal services to machines that make carbonated beverages.

I can’t understand how people can listen to him day after day.

bw222 on August 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM

WMAL is a Cumulus station. I wonder where Rush & Sean will land.

22044 on August 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I doubt Clear Channel would blow up any of their FM stations to put Rush there. WBIG, WMZQ, WIHT and WWDC all are doing fairly well in their specific formats.

Possible that they buy Dan Snyder’s sports talkers (WTEM/980 + two suburban relays and WSPZ/570) and relaunch a news/talker there. CC had the original WTNT “Dynamite Talk,” which pretty much fizzled right out of the gate after they were unable to poach Rush from WMAL. And Dan has put the stations up on the block.

That, or CC turns to WFED “Federal News 1500″ and buys airtime for Rush there.

Myron Falwell on August 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM

bw222 on August 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Yep, agreed 1000%. Precisely at 3:02 p.m., my radio goes to “off” so I won’t ever have to hear the opening notes of that Martina McBride song Hannity uses to open his show, or any of the rest of it, for that matter.

PatriotGal2257 on August 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I LOVE RUSH!
I also like to listen to Phil Hendry.
I know, I know, they are VERY different programs,
but I like the political-analysis from Rush and
Phil Hendry has made my sides split with laughter
over the years.

For me, the radio lineup is thus:
Rush: Noon to 3
The Great One: 6-9

Unfortunately, The only way I can hear Phil Hendry
on the East coast is from 1520 AM out of Buffalo, NY
from 1 AM to 4 AM. Reception is almost always
pretty funky, but at least I can hear Phil work his
radio magic. For pure entertainment on the radio,
Phil Hendry is the best. Hands down! No question
about it! Bobby Dooley should be president of Iran!

Anyway, when I tune into 1520 AM in Buffalo before
Phil’s show comes on, they are running the “Alan
Colmes” show. I guess his show is syndicated by FOX as
their “PET” liberal, but it really is pathetic.

I am even afraid to listen for long because I can
almost fell my IQ drop…

shorebird on August 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Phil Hendrie is a talented actor and improviser, and his impersonation of Art Bell (and announcer Ross Mitchell) is so perfect, the REAL Art even lauded him on-air.

Myron Falwell on August 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM

“shorebird: OnLine Streaming,…..FREE:)
=======================================

TUNEIN
******

canopfor on August 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM”

OK! … working on it…

shorebird on August 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

LOL! Yeah! I thought so…..
No way Phil Hendry is on those “free” streams!
That is what led to his departure from his,
ahem, previous arrangement.
However, it is nice to know that you can get
Rush from WCBM in Baltimore…

shorebird on August 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Who are you talking about?

SparkPlug on August 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM

TH.
Admittedly, I have only read a few of his remarks. That was all I could take.

Maybe somebody else knows him to be a benevolent, gracious person off-air. But I can’t see how.

I may disagree with some of what Rush’s tactics. But I generally admire his achievements and business-sense.

Capitalist Hog on August 5, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Myron Falwell on August 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM

PH rocks.

Incidentally, PH looks a little like CurtZHP. They both work in radio too. Dun dun dun.

Capitalist Hog on August 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Boomerang!

ted c on August 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM

This thread brought to you by the Earth Handle, NEW from Peenman Enterprises!

Myron Falwell on August 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM

jeffinsjvca on August 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM

BWWWWWHHHHAAAAAAA!!!

#progressivefailnumberonehundredseventyseven

PappyD61 on August 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM

jaywemm on August 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Liberals are excellent at talking. The problem is you can’t get them to shut the f*** up.

The reason why liberal talk radio fails is because they expect everybody to listen and are shocked when nobody gives a damn.

Kingfisher on August 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM

jeffinsjvca on August 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I tried listening to Malloy out of amusement. That lasted half an hour. There’s only so much “angry old man” shtick I can take, and in Malloy’s case, it doesn’t even come across as shtick.

And you can’t forget Randi “David Duke in drag” Rhodes or Ed “Laura, you ignorant s—!” Schlitz.

Myron Falwell on August 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Rush is that big Shark, while the lib shows are those little fish that leach onto the shark and live off it’s scraps.

portlandon on August 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM

What crazy kind of business would want to advertise on Lieberal Irresponsibility Talk Radio besides self-help book publishers?

Anger management tape providers?

Shifting-blame counselors?

Marxist laziness advisers?
Ted Kennedy approved breathalyzers?
Easy Bake meth-labs?
Manufacturers of Gummint Cheese Line placeholders?

When the majority of Liberal listeners and viewers are lazy handout-dependent bums typically lacking upwardly mobile lives and spending money they’ve already got freeloader radio & TV called NPR and PBS to praise their feel-gooder emptiness.

Mr. Moyers’ Slackerhood. That’d be the perfect PBS show for immature, ingrate Lefty losers.

viking01 on August 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Rush, Levin, and Roger Hedgecock here in San Diego. Otherwise it’s sports or oldies.

Even the liberal university radio station quit trying prog-talk and went back to soft jazz years ago. And they’re subsidized.

Freelancer on August 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM

portlandon on August 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Remoras.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on August 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM

If Rush leaves, then Conservative talk radio may have a problem. None of these people can match him and the format may begin to die out again. I’m sure there’s another AM superstar out there but who knows.

joekenha on August 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM

:Hartmann is a nasty piece of work alright, but nothing compares to Mike Malloy or Stephanie Miller, in a league of their own.”

jeffinsjvca on August 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM

They follow the “Obama Method” of the building up the “Straw Man”
and then tearing him down.

OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER…

Sorry! I ran out of “Os”

shorebird on August 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM

joekenha on August 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM

That’s the thing. Rush and Boortz were and are old-school broadcasters… they’ve been radio personalities for decades, and know that they perform an act. While at the same time, both also espouse viewpoints, but in their prime, they never let the viewpoint and agenda monopolize the show. (Rush’s series of “updates” queued by novelty songs come to mind.)

In the mid-90s, there was a crop of Rush knockoffs, local hosts who tried to copy his act, with varying degrees of success. There was still some entertainment value, though. Most of those acts left the scene once the format became a heavily-syndicated one.

The current crop – Andy Dean, Herman Cain Pain and Hannity all put the viewpoints before the presentation. If you want to listen to three hours of advocacy narrowcasting with no entertainment value, then go ahead. But I can’t. If Hannity left DC radio via WMAL canceling it, I would have a feeling he wouldn’t be missed.

Rush really is the lone person keeping talk radio from falling into utter oblivion.

Myron Falwell on August 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM

“Rush is really the only one I listen to anymore. I can’t stand Hannity’s voice and it seems like he repeats himself over and over. Herman Cain took over for Neal Boortz and he is awful. I absolutely can’t listen to his show. It’s garbage. There’s another guy, Andy Dean I think his name is. He’s really rude to his callers, even the ones that agree with him, and he always seems to be in a bad mood.

joekenha on August 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM”

You need to check out “The Great One.”
Mark Levin is live from six to nine pm in many AM markets.
However, his voice may bother you a bit as well… LOL!
Levin is, however, a lawyer, and runs the Landmark Legal Foundation.” That is why Rush named him “The Great One.”
Thanks to Levin, conservative-talk radio is stronger than ever!

shorebird on August 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Crapitalist Porky on August 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

It’s your side giving him the airtime. Stop insulting our intelligence.

wiki:

As of March 2012, the show was carried on 81 terrestrial radio stations in 34 states as well as on Sirius and XM satellite radio. A community radio station in Africa, Radio Builsa in Ghana, also broadcasts the show. Various local cable TV networks simulcast the program.

According to his syndicator Dial Global, more people listen to Hartmann’s show on more stations than any other progressive talk show in America. The Thom Hartmann Show is estimated by industry magazine Talkers to have 2.75 million unique listers per week. In addition to Dial Global, a subsidiary of Triton Media Group, the show is now also offered via Pacifica Audioport to non-profit stations in a non-profit compliant format and is simulcast on Dish Network Channel 9415 via Free Speech TV Network.

Translated: Everybody, everybody, everybody in your Low-IQ Democrat Party is giving this petrified-turd airtime.

Got any jerked pork?

Del Dolemonte on August 6, 2013 at 1:34 AM

joekenha on August 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Myron Falwell on August 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM

This. I hope Rush lives to the ripe old age of his grandfather and sticks with it until somebody equal comes along (if that’s possible). I’d be fine if he did away with open line Fridays. Hearing him occasionally struggle through reading what callers just said, that he didn’t hear completely or correctly, can be a little painful at times.

He already knows he’s taking a risk as it is, and some of his most brilliant moments occur during his monologues, or when he “forgets” to get to the phones as soon as promised.

RWNM on August 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Personally, I like Mark Levin and Dennis Prager. I usually learn things when listening to those shows, something that I’d want to have if giving a show a listen.

22044 on August 6, 2013 at 5:24 AM

I hope Cumulus enjoys their business decision… the stations picking up Rush sure will…

Khun Joe on August 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I still don’t get it. Liberal talk radio dies from lack of listeners, no one shows up for Obamacare rallies, the majority of the country is supposedly center right, yet we still live under Prog tyranny.

Cleombrotus on August 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I said prove it because I would like to sign up for that plan.

Have not heard back from him…..

Full of shit.

redguy on August 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

That was uncalled for. Everybody knows that liberals are full of shit…

HiJack on August 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM

That, or CC turns to WFED “Federal News 1500″ and buys airtime for Rush there.

Myron Falwell on August 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Interesting. I didn’t know that Dan Snyder’s stations were on the block. Thanks for the tip.

22044 on August 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM

jeffinsjvca on August 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM

In my earlier post,

If he’s not the vilest of them all, I want to know who’s worse!

Anti-Control on August 5, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Malloy is the person I had on my mind when I said that, not Hartmann.

I agree with you that he and Miller are the worst, but I’d add Randi Rhodes to that group, too. (Malloy unquestionably gets my vote for the worst one of them all.)

Anti-Control on August 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

long live Rush Limbaugh

mmcnamer1 on August 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Oh, goody. I have a stalker who tap dances.

CurtZHP on August 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM

CurtZHP on August 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Lol! Yes he/she/it does seem partial to you and Schadenfreude and MadCon.

Bmore on August 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Nice wood paneling.

Red Cloud on August 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM

“David Brock and Media Matters were leading the boycott Limbaugh crusade, which did presumably some damage to Limbaugh’s show. I can tell you it did a lot of damage to progressive talk radio, because a lot of advertisers, right across the board, said just pull me out of all talk radio. I don’t know Limbaugh’s numbers, but I do know that, on our side, progressive talk radio took a hit as a consequence.”

Thom Hartmann

No Thom, the problem is Brock and MM didn’t try hard enough.
Your side came sooo close to winning that fight. You need to try again, this time with more energy, and enthusiasm !
This time around you’ll probably put ‘Chick-Fil-A’ out of business.

I just know you can do it, so go get’em, tiger.

listens2glenn on August 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM

A lib I know says ObamaCare is great. He says he has better coverage for a lower price??? I said prove it because I would like to sign up for that plan.

redguy on August 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

You can’t, unless you are 25 and still living with your parents!

topdog on August 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM

redguy on August 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Introduce him to my GF and see if he still says that with wheelchair treadmarks across his back and a sledgehammer punch to the babymaking department.

We’re all going to take a hit, but special-needs people are going to be “not just screwed but gang-r@ped”, as one sharp-tongued blogger put it. And he didn’t even know the half of it.

MelonCollie on August 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM

“This thread brought to you by the Earth Handle, NEW from Peenman Enterprises!”

Myron Falwell on August 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I like that it has a “finger-molded grip.”
Thanks!