Video: Graham says sequestration will hurt us on the next terror threat

posted at 12:31 pm on August 4, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

In the “credit where credit is due” department, one thing you can say for Lindsey Graham is that he clearly doesn’t care all that much about politics or future elections. The Senator was trotted out on CNN this morning for a chat with Candy Crowley where they discussed the current terror threat and embassy closings. An important topic to be sure, but Graham couldn’t help himself, it seems, and had to weave some comments on sequestration into the larger story with a side helping of praise for the NSA and the White House. (Hat tip to Andrew Johnson at The Corner.)

CROWLEY: As you watch this unfold, what is your general impression? If you’re an ordinary American it looks pretty scary.

GRAHAM: Well, I had a briefing with the Vice President and it is scary. Al Qaeda is on the rise in this part of the world, and the NSA program is proving its worth yet again. But we need to reevaluate where we are on a lot of these threats. Sequestration has to be fixed. If this happens a year from now our intelligence community and the military will be less capable. AFRICOM needs to be beefed up, that’s where the war is going.

We’re about to withdraw from Afghanistan. I don’t want Afghanistan to become Iraq where we withdraw all our troops and terrorism comes back. You know, western Afghanistan is a haven for al Qaeda. So I appreciate what the Administration is doing, they’re taking the right approach to this. Benghazi was a complete failure, the threats were real, the reporting was real and we basically dropped the ball. We learned from Benghazi, thank God, and the Administration is doing this right.

Well, that was certainly… even handed of him. Nothing like spreading around both the praise and the blame equally. Could he have strung any more disparate policy items on that Christmas tree of a response? All that was missing was a reference to comprehensive immigration reform and how it would result in more workers to act as intelligence agents.

Enjoy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mr open borders should STFU about secirity, IMO

clnurnberg on August 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Hopefully, “Miss Lindsey’s” current term is his last.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

You forgot a sarc tag there, Jazz.

Bitter Clinger on August 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM

The answer for Graham: NANCYMACE.ORG

SouthernGent on August 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM

If we wanted less terrorism we could police the world less, rather than police the world more, create more terrorism and then destroy our liberties.

It’s so stupid.

fatlibertarianinokc on August 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Here’s hoping Gramnesty gets Maced.

petefrt on August 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I keep waiting for their next scare-story to be about WMDs in an oil-rich Arab nation and offering to solve it with another invasion.

MelonCollie on August 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The sequester wouldn’t hurt anything if they actually reduced waste instead of man hours. I hate being treated like I am stupid.

Cindy Munford on August 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM

RINO Is as RINO Does!

jaydee_007 on August 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It’s a shame we didn’t pay any attention to the threats to Benghazi last 9/11…BHO and Susan Rice on the job this time..?

d1carter on August 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I don’t mind this guy being a hawk but he and most of the politicians haven’t learned a thing from Vietnam and Iraq. When you go to war, don’t let the civilian, politicians run it.

I’m a Vietnam vet and the troops today are being used just like we were. If you go to war, be ruthless and win it!

Vince on August 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Go away Graham.

rplat on August 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

A ‘cut’ of 2% in future spending is a disaster? It was Obama’s idea, so Graham should be all for it.

I sure hope this clown gets primaried out of office.

Liam on August 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Life is full of choices. What to do, defend the nation, or feed the useless?

Answer: who do the useless vote for?

OldEnglish on August 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Please get this man out of office. I am BEGGING you, South Carolina.

Jack_Burton on August 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Bite me, Linda Graham.

M240H on August 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Graham sounds more and more like a democrat.

darwin on August 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Come on SC – get him out of office.

gophergirl on August 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Every Sunday it’s Miss Lindsey and her boy friend John.

celtic warrior on August 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Vince on August 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Thank you.

And can we keep the definition of “win” to meaning “vanquish the enemy” and nothing more?

M240H on August 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM

If I was in SC I’d vote for anyone running against Graham in the R primary as long as they weren’t a Larouch or a pedophile. I normally don’t vote for adulterers but in this case it wouldn’t matter to me( not that Mace is). Graham’s opponent can sext as many crotch shots as he/she wants and I’d vote for him/her. This is one election where the challengers iffy views or shady history shouldn’t matter much.

*Not saying Mace is shady but if she were I wouldn’t care.

BoxHead1 on August 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Sequestration will only hurt us as long as politicians want to create pain to justify tax increases. Prioritize spending and eliminate fraud and waste and there would be no sequestration issue.

Didn’t Obama and many politicians speak of waste in Medicare and how, if they were elected, they would pass a law eliminating this well known waste? How’s that working out?

SouthernRoots on August 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM

If it weren’t for Obamacare, I might not vote at all.

This party of scumbags doesn’t deserve power.

HitNRun on August 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM

obama mcshame me lindsay, I don’t know which I want to stfu the most.

Also.

Any gay but not out future gop reps/senators, we really don’t care that you are gay, really! You do not have to “burnish your interventionist credentials” to butch up.

traye on August 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM

It’s so stupid.

fatlibertarianinokc on August 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Im sure there’s a kos diary waiting for you somewhere.

Valkyriepundit on August 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on August 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I will give you this: “policing” isn’t doing jack diddly. Let it be all or nothing and let the consequences of either fall as they may.

MelonCollie on August 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Lindsey Graham – the poster child of ‘Stuck on Stupid’…

Senator, when you got your brief by Clueless Joe, did you ask him why he spent most of the last year touting that AQ was effectively dead / destroyed and now it’s scaring the bejeezus out of both of you despite being ‘decimated’ by Administration drones?

As for ‘learning from Benghazi’ – we haven’t learned shit from Benghazi because the Administration is covering Benghazi up – and your taking the Administration line means it is well past time you and McCain just change parties already….

The GOP is stupid enough as it is – we don’t need to have this much extra stupid in it.

Athos on August 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM

It’s so stupid.

fatlibertarianinokc on August 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Is that why Denmark was targeted by the Muslims?

Too many Danish troops swarming through the Middle East, and too often did Denmark throw their weight around bullying the other nations of the world?

sharrukin on August 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Oh please good people of South Carolina, get rid of this fat tick on a big dog sucking the liberty out of our country. Please SC, I’m on my knees begging!!!!

hip shot on August 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

NSA must have some good dirt on him, McCain, and a few others.

Russ86 on August 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Hmmmmm……..if the sequestration is hurting the military so much, perhaps they’ll cut back on the fully staffed McMansions that the generals and admirals are billeted in.

GarandFan on August 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

If I were to claim that another terrorist attack would happen if Graham remains a senator, would he step down?

aryeung on August 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

If he loses his reelection bid he could get a show on MSNBC and have McCain as a guest all of the time.

JR on August 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

The answer for Graham: NANCYMACE.ORG

SouthernGent on August 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM

On this Nancy Mace, one of several opponents that is challenging Lindsey Graham. Following is some info I posted on last night’s QOTD.

Senator Lindsey Graham, who already has one announced challenger in the 2014 South Carolina Republican primary for the United States Senate in businessman Richard Cash, may soon face two more challengers. Both State Senator Lee Bright and Nancy Mace, the first female graduate of the Citadel, are preparing to enter the race soon, according to The Daily Beast.

The more who challenge him the more likely he is to win. Unlike death by a thousand cuts, a packed field will split the opposition seven ways from Sunday.

But Mace’s campaign may be hurt by her co-ownership of a website called FITSNews. According to The Daily Beast, Will Folks, who is the site’s other co-owner, “shook—or at least irritated—the political world in 2010 when he claimed that he had an affair with South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley.”

The sense of the comments is that unless only one Candidate is supported against Graham, the vote will be split and he’ll win.
Graham has 6.3 million cash on hand and some suggested he may be funding a couple of his opponents:-) Whether that is true or not, who knows.

I hope S.C. voters, including any endorsements of the Candidates do their homework.

bluefox on August 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM

bluefox on August 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

That ship has sailed, Lindsey. It left port the moment the withdrawal date was announced.

Yes, if we cut a small portion of the increase in government spending, we’ll all pay dearly. Good God, Lindsey, do you really think we’re that stupid?

Kafir on August 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM

GarandFan on August 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I respectfully disagree. They have earned their perks (usually), and the system requires such staffing to function.

OldEnglish on August 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Trey Gowdy, please primary this Fool.

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Why not just start by cutting back on the excessive weight of top brass? The size of the military has shrunk considerably – but the numbers of Admirals / Generals haven’t shrunk in the same proportions.

The core problem about sequestration is not the minimal cuts that it is demanding from a bloated federal budget – it’s the fact that nimrods like Graham let the Administration decide where to make the cuts – to ensure that the most possible pain is felt as a justification to keep expanding the carcass of the federal government.

Graham is part of the problem – not part of the solution.

Athos on August 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Miss Lindsey has a HUGE war chest with contributions from the NRSC, US Chamber of Commerce, poultry processors, etc. He figures he has enough money to get re-elected after giving the people of South Carolina the finger for four years. It worked in 2008 and he’s betting it will work again.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Which is why he gets on as many media shows as possible, right?

You were kidding, right Jazz?

beatcanvas on August 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I am staying out of the primary, hoping Graham gets less than 50% and save my contributions for whoever faces Graham in the run-off. If Graham wins the primary or run-off, I will make my first contribution to a Democrat ever – Miss Lindsey’s opponent.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

beatcanvas on August 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Jazz made it through school following the Joe Biden Method – copying off the smart kids.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Go to hell Graham. Your usefulness has expired and you should be replaced with a REAL constitutional conservative who does NOT endorse spying on everyone and their mother.

TX-96 on August 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I know we want to defeat Graham. Before we get behind anyone particular, it would be a good idea to research all that are throwing their hat in the ring. We jumped on Rubio’s bandwagon; granted the choice was C. Crist.

The State Senator Lee Bright and a businessman Richard Cash. I don’t know anything about either one yet.

I’m always leary of anyone like Nancy Mace running for a Senate seat, when they have never been elected to any office.

We know a lot of tricks are going to be played trying to keep Graham in and they will come from R’s & D’s.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

A real man, mensch and president

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Vince on August 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I agree. It is a disgrace how our Military is dishonored by these arm chair know-it-alls. Pushing an Agenda against our Country and by any means. They are doing the same thing now as they did in ‘Nam.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Ms. Lindsey go away and take McPain with you….

sandee on August 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

…If you go to war, be ruthless and win it!

Vince on August 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Winner

CW20 on August 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

…Before we get behind anyone particular, it would be a good idea to research all that are throwing their hat in the ring…
bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I’m not SC but I plan to send a few hundred to someone up there. I was thinking I had to choose soon but thanks to a HA comment,

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I now realize that I can wait for a run-off to decide. Or can Graham get 50%+ in a SC primary with 3 other candidates? Has he been a very popular senator in SC? I know Mcain could have lost to a decent candidate in AZ this last go around. MCain was scared enough of his weak opponent that he had to bring in Palin. Could Graham bring in Palin???? Oh, I hope not! I hope Hatch is the last of them.

BoxHead1 on August 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I heard that Mace is close to the the squirrelly guy who claimed an affair with Haley. And that this could be a problem for Mace. SC Charlie(or anyone), is this true? Could this be a problem for Mace? BoxHead1 on August 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

After my post about this on 8/2/13, reposted above, one of our HA commenters posted this follow up. Seems like she’s the President of that site.

I don’t know much about Nancy Mace at all, but my first impression is to be concerned about all of the weasel words in this press statement:

STATEMENT FROM NANCY MACE, CO-OWNER AND PRESIDENT OF FITSNEWS.COM REGARDING THE WILL FOLKS/ NIKKI HALEY STORY
contact: nancy@fitsnews.com

Circumstances beyond his control compelled our founding editor, Will Folks, to address a personal matter Monday morning on FITSNews.com. He has nothing to add to his comments regarding this matter and will not be conducting any further interviews on the subject.
As the state of South Carolina’s premier political news and opinion website, FITSNews.com will continue to do its job of speaking the truth on behalf of the citizens and taxpayers of the Palmetto state.

-NANCY MACE

wren on August 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM

bluefox on August 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Happy birthday Coast Guard

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM

SHUTUP Graham!

lhuffman34 on August 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Cindy Munford on August 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Precisely.

Harbingeing on August 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

ChrisL on August 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Late lunch time:-)

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Graham: “This 2% reduction in the rate of spending growth is killing us. We must spend more!”

And yet…

This man is the very definition of a useful idiot.

EddieC on August 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

SHUT UP graham

crosshugger on August 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Why does Lindsey Graham even have an (R) after his name? Why doesn’t he just “come out” as a (D)emocrat?

Gearbox on August 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Useful idiot? I think ‘Quisling’ is a better description.

Athos on August 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I don’t want to hear or see anything about Graham or McCain. They are just as destructive to our country as Obama, except their jibber comes under the guise as Republicans. We are so unfortunate to have their representation in Washington.

mobydutch on August 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Well, one thing all y’all hyenas and yippers have right…Goober Graham has got to go. If there’s someone I am more sick of than McCain it’s Goober. They make a guy wish for the good old Arlen Sphincter days.

b pocoroba on August 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM

The problem with, and for, Lindsay, Rubio, McCain, Ryan, et al, is that they’ve lied.

Once these people make promises to the constituency, then do an about face for political reasons, essentially to groom their own careers and fulfill their desire to service the political class, the electorate has no choice but to ignore anything else they may have to say without concrete evidence that they aren’t lying yet again.

My suggestion to these particular politicians, including Christie, is to shed the GOP trappings and name…make that crossing the aisle permanent…. and declare themselves Democrats….once and for all.

thatsafactjack on August 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Asshat.

MT on August 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM

thatsafactjack on August 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Hear! Hear!

Let’s polygraph them and if they fail, remove them and call a special election for their seat:-) I know, I know.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I agree! Do the right thing for once, join the Democrat Party now.

mobydutch on August 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

We need a new party. They simply don’t represent us. They never did.

The GOP would pretend to represent the values of its base on social and economic issues, even as worked against them. And no matter how often this baffling betrayal takes place, it’s always a shock to a base that imagines that the Republican Party must stand for the same values as its voters. It doesn’t. It never did.

The GOP is still basically the same party that it was after the Civil War. It believes that big government can make the country work, that centralizing everything will make the country more modern and that anything that contributes to growth must be good. And it’s stuck with a base of Jacksonian Democrats who are highly suspicious of centralized power, value their independence and don’t think that anyone should tell them what to do. Meanwhile the Republican Party’s donors come from a more traditional Republican brand of politics.

rrpjr on August 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Why America is on her way to Zimbabwe.

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I’m not getting good vibes (intuition) about Nancy Mace. But I’ll hold off until I finish researching.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Video: Graham says sequestration will hurt us on the next terror threat

Congressional term limits won’t.

nico on August 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Video: Graham says sequestration will hurt us on the next terror threat

So it’s time for yet another drill turned real terror attack hoax then?

All these guys have to do is hand a script to the LSM who will report it as fact and it instantly will become Truth replete with bona fide Wikipedia and Snopes entries. They wouldn’t even have to go to the trouble of getting real people to kindasorta act it all out.

Hell, they could run Movietone newsreel stock footage from the 1930s on CNN as “evidence” of the event and most Americans (including most Conservatives) would be convinced it was real.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM

thatsafactjack on August 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

“Rubio and Ryan pivoted on amnesty for illegal aliens because it’s what they really believed all along. They just couldn’t say it until they were told that the pivot was here and that they would be rewarded for pushing it along.

“The same is true of countless other issues such as gay marriage. The rhetoric is there, but it has no conviction because the real GOP doesn’t believe in it.

“It never did.

“The GOP “folds” on so many issues, because it doesn’t believe in them. It isn’t really folding, it’s shrugging and counting on its base to move on.”

From link above. We need a new party.

rrpjr on August 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Seems we’ll never run out of opportunities to tell Lindsey to go f*ck himself.

Pity.

Midas on August 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

News flash, Lindsey! The military is already less capable you putz.

tomshup on August 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM

It’s so stupid.

fatlibertarianinokc on August 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

That’s BS. Islam is a political doctrine that demands violent conquest of non-believes. It’s been peaceful in the past because it’s hard to go up against a modern Western army with a bunch of 7th century barbarians, and that’s the only reason there has been peace. You should probably thank Napoleon, and his conquest of Egypt. They however have been watching us and have found our weaknesses, and now thanks to a glut of oil money that are back waging war by other means.

DFCtomm on August 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

The Senator was trotted out on CNN this morning for a chat with Candy Crowley

Wow! It must have taken quite a bit of effort to get Graham on a Sunday talk show. /

Seriously, I’m sick and tired of McShame and his mini-me representing themselves as the Republicans on these Sunday shows. They do not hold mainstream views and they do not speak for conservatives or Republicans. They need to STFU and get primaried out of relevance as soon as possible.

Happy Nomad on August 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM

[JR on August 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM]

Lindsey “Spend We Much” Graham.

Dusty on August 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Welcome to Cuba

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

This guy has got to go. Same with McCain. This Senator for life shtick is getting old.

Iblis on August 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Let German and the like pay for their own defense. Let’s gtfo.

CW on August 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

This Senator for life shtick is getting old.

Iblis on August 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

And so are they.

rrpjr on August 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Yeah Linny it might present a problem for us because the federal government is protecting and harboring known terrorists. Geez the’re having lunch at the White House. We the citizenry can take care of ourselves. We might lose a few to bombers but that’s about it. You want to unite the US mess with us on our own soil….

sonnyspats1 on August 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Graham says sequestration will hurt us on the next terror threat…

So will mass immigration, including Muslims, but you don’t see that holding back the open borders lobby.

David Blue on August 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

JR on August 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

After Juan McCain is out in 4 years, they can co-host a talk show on MSNBC. They will be a very good fit for that house of inane insanity.

Please SC, do your proud, return to your roots and rid yourself of the blot on your reputation known as Graham.

Quartermaster on August 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Go to hell Lindsey, and take McLame with you.

Ward Cleaver on August 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM

It is getting increasingly clear that the only thing protecting us is the 2nd amendment.

davidk on August 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Hopefully, “Miss Lindsey’s” current term is his last.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

….I’m tired…of his lipstick running!

KOOLAID2 on August 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

This from a “man” who wants to welcome an invasion of drunk drivers and gangs.

VorDaj on August 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Mr open borders should STFU about secirity, IMO

clnurnberg on August 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

..well, he should know. He’s a Colonel in the USAFR with an MSM or something:

In 1998, according to the Congressional daily newspaper The Hill, Graham was describing himself on his website as an Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm veteran. In reality, he never left South Carolina. Graham responded “I have not told anybody I’m a combatant,” he said. “I’m not a war hero, and never said I was. I never intended to lie. If I have lied about my military record, I’m not fit to serve in Congress,” further noting that he “never deployed.”[4]

In 2004, Graham received a promotion to Colonel in the U.S. Air Force Reserve at a White House ceremony officiated by President George W. Bush.

The War Planner on August 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM

If they had stopped the Boston Jihadis maybe I’d believe them.

They waste so much money now and are so p.c. self-gelded I say let their funding stay lowered.

It doesn’t do any good if they are unwilling to fight the real, self-declared enemy of Jihadist Islam, so the hell with their pleas for more billions to blow.

profitsbeard on August 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

GRAHAM: Well, I had a briefing with the Vice President and it is scary

Oh. If Lindsey talked with the Vice President I feel better now. Maybe it was suggested to go outside and shoot your shotgun in the air.

HDNY on August 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

For all of you who want to get rid of Lindsay, start contributing to Nancy Mace’s campaign. She has the best chance of anyone to defeat Graham. Get those donations going.

they lie on August 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I’m telling you, ValJar and ZerO have some serious blackmail on this guy…just like they likely have on Boehner, Cantor, Ryan, and a lot of other Congressional Republicans who are conspicuously agreeing with ZerO–and with an almost enthusiastic if not hysterical zeal, at that–on nearly every issue these days.

I mean, how else do you explain this relatively recent 180° on several traditional Republican platforms by more than a few Republicans? It can’t just be a sudden case of mass stupidity and/or RINOism (other than with McCain, who simply seems to be slipping into senility)–it just can’t be.

Dime IV on August 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM

they lie on August 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Why?

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Angering the House of Representatives with subterfuge isn’t high on the recommended way to get your appropriations increased.

If I were in charge of the Dept of Defense and the House oversight committee wanted testimony from an officer involved in the Benghazi mess I’d send him over there pronto instead of making up lies that he’d retired and they couldn’t reach him.

RJL on August 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Anyone here from South Carolina? Does this clown stand a chance to get re-elected? Lawdy, I hope not…

old school on August 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM

DFCtomm on August 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Faith is just one contributing factor in the recruitment of terrorism, rather than the instigating motivation. What actually MOTIVATES acts of terror is the occupying force of another nation or enemy. The ACTS of terror seek to BANKRUPT the enemy by drawing them into a winless, and continual war.

As for what you wrote, most of it is largely “feel good” propaganda devised to ensure we never have to look at our own culpability in unwittingly motivating acts of terror against us. This is painful to see and admit, but tough. We’ve made mistakes, look at our debt, look at our congress, look at all the news headlines. Pretend I’m blaming America for Obamacare and then apply that same standard to our STUPID and DANGEROUS foreign policy.

Anytime a perceived outsider attempts to use force against a group or country, then a violent response is a high probability. You can pretend it’s because of their faith, but you’re just trying to shift the blame from (what we can control) our acts of aggression or intervention and back onto THEIR faith.

All it takes is one honest look at if the situations were reversed to see that your view simply makes no sense. If we were in Iran’s position, for example, we’d hate America too and some of us might even believe Christ supported us in fighting the enemy who seeks to come here to force their way on us. If you stick your hand in a bee hive and get stung, do YOU blame the bee’s faith? I don’t, for his faith is not the issue.

Blaming Islam for terrorism is like blaming gravity for a plane crash.

fatlibertarianinokc on August 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Blaming Islam for terrorism is like blaming gravity for a plane crash.

Obviously, you don’t have a problem assigning blame – particularly as a card carrying member of ‘Blame America First’.

You also seem to have some serious blinders in place when it comes to understanding culture, history, and some fundamentalist sects of Islam.

Athos on August 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM