Nancy Mace to challenge Lindsey Graham in primary

posted at 6:31 pm on August 4, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

I’ve already been seeing mentions of this in the comments on other threads, and couple of quick hits on the cable shows, so it’s probably time to get all of this down on the record here. Nancy Mace officially announced her intention to challenge Senator Lindsey Graham for his Senate seat in the 2014 South Carolina GOP primary this weekend. The event took place at the Berkeley County GOP breakfast on Saturday.

August 3, 2013 – Goose Creek, S.C. – Nancy Mace announced her candidacy for the U.S. Senate today in Goose Creek, South Carolina. Mace is a resident of Charleston and attended The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina, where she was the school’s first female graduate from its Corps of Cadets in 1999. Mace earned a masters degree in mass communication from The University of Georgia. She currently owns and operates a public relations firm.

Mace said, “I grew up during the Reagan years. I believe our fortieth president understood what being an American was all about. He was proud, resolute, and he was an eternal optimist. Our friends knew he would be steadfast and our enemies respected him. President Reagan helped regain our national pride, but he also left us with a powerful warning. He said, ’Freedom is never more than a generation away from extinction.’ He said ‘we must fight for it, protect it, and defend it.’ I think those words ring true now more than ever.”

The idea of somebody launching a primary bid against Graham certainly won’t come as much of a surprise, and in fact businessman Richard Cash already announced his intentions to do the same. (Cash lost a bid for a House seat previously.) State Senator Lee Bright may also be throwing his hat in the ring. Unlike some other challenges to sitting Senators we’ve seen this year (reference Cheney v Enzi) there certainly seems to be an appetite for a change, at least on a national level. If that translates to an equal mood for new blood back at home, Graham could definitely be in trouble, despite being particularly well funded. But both of these challengers leave me with a few questions.

Not living in South Carolina, I’m going to go on the generous assumption that there’s more to this campaign than first meets the eye. I haven’t seen anything immediately disqualifying regarding Mace in terms of a potentially successful bid, and going by the limited sample of readers here and comments at a few other sites, she seems to be attracting some early support. But much like a few other recent examples we’ve seen in the news, I immediately find myself wondering if there isn’t some more seasoned talent on the bench. Don’t get me wrong, Mace has done much to commend her, even beyond graduating from The Citadel. She’s been busy getting married, starting a family and setting up her own public relations firm. But no matter how much of a potential fan you may be, that still sounds a little thin for a Senate run. At least Lee Bright has served in the legislative branch at the state level. I just wonder if the primary base will be asking if she has any qualifications beyond who her father is.

Her opening speech also seemed a bit canned, as if somebody told her to check a few of the basic conservative boxes and get it over with. (“Make sure to say Reagan’s name a few times, mention the constitution and get the heck out of there!”) But I also found a few previous comments she released on immigration, gun control and other important current topics, so it’s probably too soon to tell, and she may well be prepping a barrage of good, serious policy speeches to use against Graham in the inevitable debates. In any event, it looks like it will be an interesting primary season in South Carolina, and we definitely need to be recruiting more energetic, young candidates everywhere, so welcome to the race, Ms. Mace.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“But much like a few other recent examples we’ve seen in the news, I immediately find myself wondering if there isn’t some more seasoned talent on the bench.”

The “seasoned talent”, Jazz, is why we are where we are today.

ncjetsfan on August 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

“a little thin for a Senate run”

bwahahahahahahahha

so where have the Fat… Professional Politicians….. gotten us

Broke & Oppressed

Welfare & Warfare and Warfare & Welfare

roflmmfao

donabernathy on August 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

If Liz Cheney is going to be a carpetbagger she at least could’ve done it in South Carolina.

Mark1971 on August 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM

There’s not really much difference between Liz and “Miss Lucy: they’re both big-time neocons, fiscal moderates and social liberals.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Nine years an American citizen? Born here. Check

Above the age of 30? 35. Check.

Inhabitant of South Carolina? Check.

Pulse? Errr, mine or hers … CHECK!

She’s qualified.

Dusty on August 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Let’s watch as Jazz and allahpundit combine to destroy the candidacy of any conservative that challenges people like Lindsey Graham

williamg on August 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Hot Air, the only “conservative” blog where trolls are in charge.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

We need to get behind the best challenger. Graham and all progressive squishes must go.

Jack_Burton on August 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM

backwoods conservative on August 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Thank you BC.
I wanted to hear from someone a little more familiar and from SC.
I have family in the lowcountry..who detest Graham
and have been waiting for a chance to give him the boot.
I need to give them a call.
I know nothing about those throwing their hat into the ring.
He needs to gtfo- I’m hoping y’all can make it happen.

bazil9 on August 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

he dumbs down this site to unthinkable levels on weekends, and shames the conservative cause. and when he tries humor, god help us all. other than that, fine job jazzy!

truecon on August 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

What more would one expect from the associate editor of the “Moderate Voice?” Salem treats its base no differently than the GOP Establishment does.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Jack_Burton on August 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Good. Then I can count on you to support Richard Cash. :)

backwoods conservative on August 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Salem treats its base no differently than the GOP Establishment does.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Yep.
Its the commenters that keep me here.
And many superb ones have been long gone.

bazil9 on August 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Jack_Burton on August 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I have a different plan: Stay out of the primary and donate more to whoever faces “Miss Lindsey” in the run-off. If “Miss Lindsey” wins the run-off, contribute to his Democratic opponent.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

backwoods conservative on August 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Nah, Mace is a LOT hawter….

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

If “Miss Lindsey” wins the run-off, contribute to his Democratic opponent.

bw222 on August 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

‘Hole on thar, Pardner”

That’s the vaunted TruCon, “We win by losing; we advance by retreating ” strategery that has always left me shaking my head going, “Oh yeah we ARE the Stoopit” Movement…..

Because I’m sure that Sandra Fluke, in a choice between Mangin and the Republican says, “Joe Manchin is NOT a Progressive, though he IS a ‘D’ and will vote ‘D’ most of the time, but I will support the REPUBLICAN! That will show’em. I’ll send a REPUBLICAN, because I wanted a Progressive.”

But you do what you gotta do…

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Nah, Mace is a LOT hawter….

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

That’s a nice quality to have, but I try not to make my voting decisions on the basis of it.

backwoods conservative on August 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I think a trained or untrained monkey would be better than Graham. We are fed up and we are tired of his ilk.

Windsweeping on August 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

even another RINO would be better than reelecting Graham

the point is to send a message that anyone can be primaried and that incumbency must be earned or we throw you out

commodore on August 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM

backwoods conservative on August 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Whatev’s…next you’ll be talkin’ ’bout kwali-fah-kayshuns and poe-zishunz an’ stuff….

The hawt candidate gets the nod….

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM

There’s hunger for change in Tennessee for sure! Uber RINO Lame Alexander has voted with Obama 70% of the time & certainly does not represent his TN constituents who voted against Obama twice. Lame renounced his senate GOP leadership position so he could be more “independent,” i.e. liberal. He needs to go.

devan95 on August 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Why not Trey Gowdy to challenge Grahamnesty?

RoyalFlush on August 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Well, maybe you should think it through then. Would that help?

rrpjr on August 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Awesome rrpjr. HA, where you don’t use a club when a rapier will do just fine. Gives Jazz some time to reflect on his lack of fortitude and judgmnet.

arnold ziffel on August 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Why not Trey Gowdy to challenge Grahamnesty?

RoyalFlush on August 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Well what about TREY? No one is stopping him from declaring. There’s no Federal or SC statute preventing him…I guess he’s just too chicken or hasn’t filed the paperwork yet.

At one level Trey is even better, as I understand it, the more the better in SC primaries…Graham has to get 50% outright to avoid a run-off…so the more “boutique” candidates there are (Not saying Gowdy is a boutique candidate)the better. Each boutique candidate siphons off just a little more of McCain’s girlfriend’s support….

But of COURSE, all the boutique supporters need to unite behind the Not-Graham candidate in the run-off or Graham triumphs….

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I’m asking the same question, Jazz. She graduated from College. What else? She’s never held any elective office. A U.S. Senate seat is a pretty high aspiration imo. Who is funding her? She graduated in 1999, but I don’t recall hearing anything from her until now. So, right now all we have is a speech with a few Conservative “words”.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

and arnold can’t spell—judgment.

arnold ziffel on August 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

What if Palin endorses her?

KCB on August 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I’m waiting on Gov. Haley to endorse her, ROFL

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Good points..BUT would you prefer HER to Graham? That’s the ONLY question…

All the rest is fluff…government IS a busindess and it has it’s twists and turns, but you can learn them…

The question is, do you want an “experienced” Lindsey Graham, Pro-Amnesty, Pro-NSa, Pro-McCain over the “inexperienced” Mace/Cash/Gowdy? Do you want third year Andie Dalton or 1st year Tom Brady?

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I’m waiting on Gov. Haley to endorse her, ROFL

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

No I want PALIN to endorse her…the thread will be epic…

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM

On this Nancy Mace, one of several opponents that is challenging Lindsey Graham. Following is some info I posted on last night’s QOTD.

Senator Lindsey Graham, who already has one announced challenger in the 2014 South Carolina Republican primary for the United States Senate in businessman Richard Cash, may soon face two more challengers. Both State Senator Lee Bright and Nancy Mace, the first female graduate of the Citadel, are preparing to enter the race soon, according to The Daily Beast.

The more who challenge him the more likely he is to win. Unlike death by a thousand cuts, a packed field will split the opposition seven ways from Sunday.

But Mace’s campaign may be hurt by her co-ownership of a website called FITSNews. According to The Daily Beast, Will Folks, who is the site’s other co-owner, “shook—or at least irritated—the political world in 2010 when he claimed that he had an affair with South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley.”

The sense of the comments is that unless only one Candidate is supported against Graham, the vote will be split and he’ll win.
Graham has 6.3 million cash on hand and some suggested he may be funding a couple of his opponents:-) Whether that is true or not, who knows.

I hope S.C. voters, including any endorsements of the Candidates do their homework.

bluefox on August 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM

bluefox on August 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM

After my post about this on 8/2/13, reposted above, one of our HA commenters posted this follow up. Seems like she’s the President of that site.

I don’t know much about Nancy Mace at all, but my first impression is to be concerned about all of the weasel words in this press statement:

contact: nancy@fitsnews.com

Circumstances beyond his control compelled our founding editor, Will Folks, to address a personal matter Monday morning on FITSNews.com. He has nothing to add to his comments regarding this matter and will not be conducting any further interviews on the subject.
As the state of South Carolina’s premier political news and opinion website, FITSNews.com will continue to do its job of speaking the truth on behalf of the citizens and taxpayers of the Palmetto state.

-NANCY MACE

wren on August 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM

bluefox on August 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I see the joke now, no I want Will Folks to endorse her….or claim to be the father of at least one of her children.

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Whatever.

I’ve been in the ‘hold my nose and vote for the shitty Republican’ voter for awhile now. Not doing it anymore, sorry.

The shitty Republican will lie to my face, then stab me in the back.

The shitty Democrat will lie to my face, but won’t get to stab me in the back – much as he’d like to – because I won’t turn my back to him out of a sense of misplaced trust.

Both politicians are bent on the same destructive ends. I hate Democrats – but I’m beginning to hate Republicans more. At least the Democrats are sometimes honest about what they want to do to me.

Midas on August 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

As a more moderate Republican, I hope Mace wins. That Graham would attack the Sequester is so beyond reprehensible to me. In fact, as I consider the intensity of my dislike for Lindsey Graham and John McCain, I start to wonder if I am not a wing nut or if it’s just their moronic take on moderation angers me as someone who would approach moderation entirely differently. I just don’t know.

thuja on August 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Good points..BUT would you prefer HER to Graham? That’s the ONLY question…

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM

No, that’s not the only question. Getting on a bandwagon on one person when not much is known (other than what I just posted) and not researching on others that may enter or one has entered isn’t the wisest decision imo.

I’d like to have the best Candidate, not just any one.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Miss Nancy vs. Miss Lindsay…can’t wait!

Blake on August 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Don’t be obtuse. I have a problem that Nancy Mace is Co-Owner and PRESIDENT of the website that smeared and tried to destroy now Gov. Haley. If you don’t, that’s your choice, not mine tho.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM

canopfor on August 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Pete Seat’s article “Is Hillary too Ol to be President” was not his title. someone at political wrote the title.

His point was that maybe it is time to let the millennials take over.

davidk on August 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM

thuja on August 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Like we give a sh!t what a baby slaughterer says.

davidk on August 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Midas on August 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Candidate RINO: I will take under very careful consideration the necessity of stripping the Jews of their civil liberties and restricting their economic and political liberties.

Candidate Himmler: I say DEATH TO THE JEWS

Midas votes for Candidate Himmler because he’s “honest”…well there you go. Better to vote for a vote FOR Obamacare or a host of other Democratic debacles than run the risk of disappointment….If this “reasoning” makes the slightest bit of sense to you, well we’re doomed, as a movement.

You want to vote/support Cash/Mace/Gowdy/The Rent is Too D@mned Hi Guy, feel free…but come General Election time, I’d vote for the Republican over the Democrat…because the “D” is going to vote with Reid, 90% of the time…the “R” is much less likely to do so.

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

No I want PALIN to endorse her…the thread will be epic…

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I know you like Palin and wouldn’t insult her, thread or no thread count. Palin isn’t that dumb:-)

P.S. My opinion is that if Palin endorses anyone in this race, it won’t be Nancy Mace.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I’d like to have the best Candidate, not just any one.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Well that’s fine FOR THE PRIMARIES… come run-off time I hope you can vote Mace over Graham….’cuz if you can’t then I can’t help you.

Because Lord knows YOU are responsible for EVERYTHING utterance that your children/Significant Other/Partner/Underlings make….

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Correction: Seat’s article was titled “Hillary Clinton is Too Old to be President.”
Again, that was not the thrust of the article. He was suggesting that younger candidates all around may be better.

davidk on August 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I don’t have a dawg in this fight, so really all I can say is:
1) Go the NOT LINDSEY GRAHAM;
2) If there is a run-off I hope all you truconz can over look the NOT LINDSEY GRAHAM’S flaws and vote for NOT LINDSEY GRAHAM.

‘Night All…

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Are you saying what I think you are saying? That you need to be a professional politician to heed the call to citizen government?
Mr. Shaw let me tell you something. Our forefathers intentionally designed our government to a citizen calling where one leaves private life for a limited period of public service, and then returns at some point.
Your suggestion that someone running for the senate or even for president of the United states must be a professional politician is why we are in the mess we are in today. Get this nonsense out of your head! We have a government country to save damnit!

paulsur on August 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Sorry but the government can go to hell, it’s the country that needs saving.

bgibbs1000 on August 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I know nothing about those throwing their hat into the ring.
He needs to gtfo- I’m hoping y’all can make it happen.

bazil9 on August 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I’ve done quite a bit of researching today, but haven’t had time to wrap it up. Have one other Candidate and then wrap it up.

I want to have a choice and give those that are running a fair hearing. We’re just getting started and I want more info on any & all that enter this race. The Dems/RINOS/ROVE will use every trick in the book to keep Graham in his seat & we better be harmless as Doves & wise as serpents if we want to defeat them.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

‘Night All…

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

We’ll try out best JFKY and hope we can get rid of any Trojan Horses that may enter this race against Graham:-)

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I’d like to have the best Candidate, not just any one.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

JFKY on August 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Well since the Primary is before any run off or General Election, I thot you understood I was speaking of the Primary!! Having accurate info on any Candidate that will be participating in the Primary, I would think is important. Why spend time and money on one that may not be the best?

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

As a more moderate Republican, I hope Mace wins.
thuja on August 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Wrong thread. Give it a couple days pud and then you can weigh in on grilled baby…your forte.

arnold ziffel on August 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Well, Jazz, I happen to agree with you and didn’t see anything you wrote that wasn’t needed. I’ve already expressed my view that it’s early and we need to know more about every Candidate that enters this race.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Wrong.

Obama is better than Graham.

tetriskid on August 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Just something for you skeptics to think about…Ted Cruz! The establishment did anything and everything to discredit my JUNIOR Senator from Texas. Smeared his good name and lied about his past. It was a nasty campaign. My advise, don’t listen to the RINOs or the Republican establishment. Kick Ms. Lyndsey out and pray that Mrs. Mace or whoever replaces him is half the Senator Ted Cruz has become. Good luck and this gal from Texas will support anyone in the party who primaries him. ANYONE but Graham!

texgal on August 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I’m glad the there’s a challenger to Ms. Lindsey on our side but…I’ve got a big problem with her graduation from the Citadel. The-then- male school should’ve NEVER been forced to accept female students. Single-gendered schools deserve every right to remain that way. she sounds like a good person and a good conservative. Still-she graduated from an institution of higher learning that-had justice prevailed-as a female she would’ve rightfully never been accepted into, to begin with. To me-her Citade3l graduation is a negative.
I feel the exact same why about what transpired @ VMI.
I like being a girl-but as a wife, and mother of a son-it p*ssees me off to no-end all the male institutions that have been forcefully changed/destroyed/negatively altered in the name of ‘feminism’.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

texgal on August 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Well said.

njrob on August 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I feel the exact same why about what transpired @ VMI.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

You don’t need to support her as the alternative to Graham, but she is still a better option than he. As long as the alternatives get more than 50% of the vote, we can get a runoff and then consolidate the anti-Graham vote to remove that prick from office.

Of course if that happens, he’ll probably be a jerk like Lugar and do everything possible to get the Dem candidate elected.

njrob on August 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Sigh. The filter on here is absurd.

njrob on August 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM

We’re long-past the “vote the bums out” stage. Damn shame you guys can’t keep your hormones in check long enough to lobby your state legislatures for nullification acts.

gryphon202 on August 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM

texgal on August 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Well said.

njrob on August 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Can anyone here tell me anything that Ted Cruz has accomplished? Of substance? I appreciate the whole lone-voice-in-the-wilderness schtick, but I don’t think it’s going to change much when the rubber hits the road.

gryphon202 on August 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I feel the exact same why about what transpired @ VMI.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

You ever notice what happens when guys try to crash all-broad -chick -female insitutions in the same manner? The effort never lasts long.

gryphon202 on August 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM

When it all comes down, the only thing that the Dems are willing to cut spending on is defense; so the question is: What is more important to Mace, cutting the deficit to keep from bankrupting our kids or maintaining a strong defense so are kids aren’t plunged into a war that could have been avoided? I think I know where Lindsey Graham stands if that choice has to be made.

KW64 on August 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM

gryphon202 on August 4, 2013 at 10:50PM

1. He kicked Chuck Schummer’s ass on Chris Wallace’s show so hard Schummer landed on his head and now looks the better for it.
Schummer and the commie Democrats are scared shi less of him.
The RINO’s too.

2. Ted Cruz beat the Republican establishment and the Bush cult with nothing but raw courage, sprit, brain power and honesty.

3. Cruz scares gripe tampons too as you know.

4. Cruz victory lays bare the lies that unknowns and under funded conservatives can win.

5. Cruz makes all the correct people upset such as you.

6. Cruz does not give a rats behind what loon liberals think of his honesty and he will not back down.

7. To fear him is the best choice of the commies, but on We The People and Ted Cruz types comes.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM

gryphon202 on August 4, 2013 at 10:50PM

Schummer and the commie Democrats are scared shi less of him.
The RINO’s too.

So he scares people. That will accomplish what, exactly?

Right. So now what? What has he done since then?

3. Cruz scares gripe tampons too as you know.

I think I can lump these two together as “makes people feel good about themselves.” Next?

5. Cruz makes all the correct people upset such as you.

He doesn’t upset me. I think he talks a good game. But he’s one person out of 535, and I don’t believe he will pursue the presidency. At all. Ever. And if he does, he will be thoroughly palinized.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM

So, to rephrase your answer to my question as succinctly as possible: NOTHING.

gryphon202 on August 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Leaving aside the academic problems of being a Citadel Grad, by the math she was all of 13 when Reagan left office. She “grew up” during the Reagan years? WTF is up with that? Clearly the Citadel doesn’t do math. Not that this is much of a surprise.

Happy Nomad on August 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Excuse me? Explain what you mean by that.

SouthernGent on August 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM

As far as “seasoned talent” goes, we’ve been fighting that entrenched corrupt system for decades here. No thanks, the New Guard of Sanford/DeMint/Haley/Scott reformers are far better than the Old Boy Network of crooks that rule the legislature.

Mace is a smart and attractive candidate. Neither Cash nor Bright is up for a statewide race. Mace was the female Cadet who followed Fatty Faulkner, the first-year washout who couldn’t be bothered to train and just wanted her 15 minutes of fame and Gloria Allred’s private number. She did it with quiet dignity, never talked to the press until after she graduated. A class act.

BUT all you out-of-staters who’ve been calling for Graham’s scalp for years have to put your money where your mouths have been, or she hasn’t a chance. Graham has over $6 million already and a couple pro-amnesty PACs to help him, and he can spend it ALL on the primary since the Democrats don’t have anybody to run.

So put up, or shut up.

Adjoran on August 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I’ll go ahead and give a primer on this race. Ever since South Carolina’s days as a colony, the coastal areas and the Upstate (Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson) have always been at battle, and the capital was moved from Charleston to Columbia (in the middle of the state) to appease the Upstaters. Anyways, Graham’s base is in the Upstate (big government social conservatives), while Mace’s base is in Charleston (more libertarian…remember this is the region that re-elected Mark Sanford by a huge margin because they like his politics, and couldn’t care less about his personal life).

The race is going to be won in the Midlands and PeeDee region of South Carolina. If Mace can make a go of it in the Midlands counties of Lexington, Aiken, Kershaw, York and the PeeDee counties of Florence and Darlington…she may have a shot, but she MUST do well in the coastal counties (Charleston, Beaufort, Dorchester, Berkely, Horry, Georgetown).

SouthernGent on August 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM

SouthernGent on August 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Who do you think is better positioned at this point, Mace or Cash?

rrpjr on August 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

To me-her Citade3l graduation is a negative.
I feel the exact same why about what transpired @ VMI.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I agree with you completely. When I first read some info on Mace, the first thing out was she graduated from “The Citadel”. I thot, yeah, but look what it took, another destruction of our Institutions.

Every article I’ve read about her promote that fact as if it’s some honor. You’re right that it’s a negative. Had I had a choice I would not have attended as a protest. By her attending shows a lack of respect imo.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

So put up, or shut up.

Adjoran on August 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM

SouthernGent on August 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM

My problem with Nancy Grace is the same as my problem with Ted Cruz. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not personal. I think they are both fine upstanding morally upright citizens. True patriots, even.

The truth of the matter is we will never move beyond the corrupt rotting system we are in as long as “vote the bums out” continues to be a viable option. It hasn’t worked. It won’t work. And the new-bloods fighting against the bluebloods fall into one of two categories: either they’re corruptocrats being groomed to get their own piece of the pie (like Rubio), or they’re so naive they actually believe (wrongly) they can make a difference against overwhelming odds in a system that is broken beyond the ability of one person to repair from within (like Ted Cruz).

Start lobbying your state legislatures to pass nullification acts and lobbying your county’s sheriff to enforce them. The federales are the problem, and and it is beyond naive to believe that we can make a difference simply by electing a new crop of them over numerous election cycles. The time for real action is now.

gryphon202 on August 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

When I first saw “Citadel” I, knowing the history, read “feminist” just the same as if it had said Wellesley. I looked through her bio for the rest of the usual signs, and they’re there…

Hard for me to get enthusiastic about somebody like this really. I still want to see Grahamnesty out, but we need to be careful here. Get rid of the current destructive hack, but don’t let the RINOs and left try to make an even worse star out of this new young replacement should it come to be.

Gingotts on August 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Who do you think is better positioned at this point, Mace or Cash?

rrpjr on August 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I would say Mace just based on momentum alone. Cash has been in for a while, but haven’t heard much chatter (except a few times on here). Richard Cash lost a nail-biter to now Rep. Duncan a few years ago, and I’d have no problem voting for him if he winds up in the runnoff with Graham.

SouthernGent on August 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Of some note:

There are some who lay in the woods setting back fires to stir up trouble. They also set traps on the net to get people to put the wrong words on blogs about our current problems with the two party evil money cult in Washington D.C..

Votes and voters still count up.

Truth matters.

Facts count.

Get in the game inside the Republican Party, one or two votes in many precicent chair elections make a difference. Then those go to county conventions and there the new votes count. Then the state party deals and more count up. Then to national and up.

We are getting it done here in Texas and other state party establishment operations are getting the message too.

Beware of those who misdirect, move U.S. forward.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I live in SC, & there are many that intensely dislike Lindsey Graham.
I wish Gramnesty & McAmnesty would just do the Arlen Specter thing. It would just be the icing on the rotten cake.
But he’s well funded &, sorry for the negativity, he’ll most likely win the primary.
What are my choices?
Don’t vote.
Write in.
Hopeless.

Gryphon: excellent post; is this where the hope lies? So many of us feel helpless & are simply withdrawing. Shocking what has happened so quickly. The fakers (Rubio, Flake, Cantor, Ryan), the overt liberals (McCain, Graham, Boehner), the progressives & our King, head of the oligarch; too many enemies from within.

Belle on August 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

South Carolina is a big military state so I understand that a more libertarian conservative may not do as well there. However, I also believe we can at least get someone who is more conservative than Graham is in a state like South Carolina. Be a good hawk, but not a crazy hawk who wants to get our bravest killed in pointless follies in useless hell holes. I think most of our military men and women would agree if they were asked off the record. I know vets would agree.

William Eaton on August 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Belle on August 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

No no no! Absolutely not! Don’t retreat. Reload. There are steps to be taken. But it starts at home. In my arrogant opinion, the last thing we should be doing now is arguing back-and-forth about who to send to D.C. Reining those corruptocrats in simply has to be done in the state capitals now. It is not time to panic. Not yet. But it is time for the kind of sacrifice I have not seen from a politician, even in my very home state, in my lifetime.

gryphon202 on August 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Gingotts on August 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Thank you(and also to BF and Gryph)! As soon as I saw Citadel-I thought fembot. Her choice to attend the Citadel is proof that Mace is no conservative.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Gingotts on August 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I did some research on Mace and posted on several of HA threads what I found and also another HA commenter added to it. On this thread it’s at bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM And also at
bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

My personal opinion is that she is a trojan horse, not to win, but to take out the one person that can defeat Graham. As I posted up thread: The Dems/RINOS/ROVE will use every trick in the book to keep Graham in his seat & we better be harmless as Doves & wise as serpents if we want to defeat them.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 12:06 AM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Well I cannot conceive of her being worse than Graham. For the love of god Graham and her boyfriend Capt. Ahab are basically doing Obama’s bidding now. Not saying Mace should be the choice to unseat Graham, but at this point I would be happy if the SC picked the republican “behind mystery door number 1″ than Graham again.

Graham has to go, I don’t care how…he is hurting the GOP more than a dem would holding that seat now.

William Eaton on August 5, 2013 at 12:06 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Agreed!! When you have time if you haven’t read my research on her and our commenter wren above on this thread, please do. Then you’ll understand why I don’t trust her in any way.

Excerpt: STATEMENT FROM NANCY MACE, CO-OWNER AND PRESIDENT OF FITSNEWS.COM REGARDING THE WILL FOLKS/ NIKKI HALEY STORY

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

William Eaton on August 5, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I want Graham defeated as most of us do. However, we need to be very careful we don’t play into the DEMS/RINOS/ROVE cabal hands. Do you think they are not above in putting their own “trojan horse” in the race?

Since we are going to have 3 or perhaps more Candidates in this race, I think it’s smart to research each one before making a snap decision. Let’s see who is funding each one. Who is going to be coming out supporting each. That will tell us a lot.

Patience is a Virtue.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Thanks for the reply, gryphon. I’m not quite ready to throw in the towel.

Magical thinking: Don’t you wish there was a test to expose trojan horses/rinos/fakes? We could call it the Rubio challenge test.

Can we defund/deflate Karl Rove so he’ll just go away?

Eaton: “Graham has to go, I don’t care how”. Agree, but unlikely. Unless…unless….some kind of story comes out about him. But that’s no guarantee. Look at Weiner, fading, but hangin’ in.

Belle on August 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Cheers, and agreed.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 12:06 AM

My initial concern was the feminist angle where my fears were confirmed. Your stuff regarding FITSNews is indeed good info though and should also be a deal breaker to any conservative. That site cares for absolutely nothing but trolling Nikki Haley.

Lee Bright does seem interesting to me. It sounds as if he has a foot in both the Sanford and Haley wings of the SC GOP, which could be a good organizational plus. Yet is he too libertarian for the strong military tradition in South Carolina?

I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right that she is a trojan horse here. The left knows we’re looking for anybody that isn’t Lindsey Graham, and Missouri last year proves they see this as a blood sport and are willing to play in our primaries. What’s to lose for them here, if so? Either they get more of Grahamnesty, or they get another more radical Kelly Ayotte. Worse, even, as Ayotte is just a squish – she hasn’t actively devoted herself to trolling conservatives.

I still say anybody but Grahamnesty, but we can do better here. Let’s see what Cash and Bright have. We live in the age of the Internet. We have the power to research before selecting, and don’t have to rely on crap and a few biased print sources to tell us about our options. FFS, we go through the effort when it comes to stuff like buying video games, why not make an effort to discern our candidates.

Gingotts on August 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I’m looking to see if Mace can play hard and dirty. That’s my criteria. We need street fighters, Lee Atwater-types. Cash is a good guy but too nice; I don’t think he has a chance against Graham.

rrpjr on August 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Y’all need to know that SC does NOT have party registration — all primaries are open to all voters. This led to a lot of mischief with Sanford winning the primary. I don’t know ANY conservatives who voted for him in the primary (though lots did in the general).

If Sanford can beat Colbert (and in a region with lots of retired northerners), losing the seat to a Dem is almost inconceivable.

But knocking off Graham in the primary is just as inconceivable because of the cross-over vote.

Pythagoras on August 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Gingotts and BlueFox: I read up on Will Folks.
This smacks of a Trojan Horse candidacy.
For those of you who are all, ‘Anybody would be better than Graham’-be careful what you wish for. In the case of Nancy Mace-the ‘cure’ might likely be worse than the ‘disease’.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Gingotts and BlueFox: I read up on Will Folks.
This smacks of a Trojan Horse candidacy.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I’ve had bad vibes about Mace ever since I first heard about her.
Spent a lot of hours reading and researching this week-end.

I’ve also been researching that State Senator Lee Bright and am almost finished. Tomorrow I plan on starting on Cash. From what I’ve found so far on Bright, here is my opinion. The Left/Media/DEMS/RINOS/ROVE will attack him!!! Most likely will support Mace. I don’t have an opinion on Cash yet, since I haven’t researched him. All I know is he is a business man and was defeated sometime back in a U.S. House race.

Right now, I think Mace is in the race to defeat Lee Bright. That’s what I see.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Pythagoras on August 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Thanks for that info. I don’t know what is wrong with these States that they don’t fix their election laws. Or does S.C. have to get that pre-clearance from the Justice Dept. to change anything?

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Why not Trey Gowdy to challenge Grahamnesty?

RoyalFlush

Because Trey Gowdy supports amnesty too, no matter how many tears he cries.

‘Night All…

JFKY

Nah, we should play it your way and reward pos’s like Graham for being the pos’s that they are and expect things to change.

Give me break. We’ve embraced your policy of stupid for too long. Time to hold some politicians accountable for a change, and Graham is one of them. He’s fvcked the party(and worse…the country) over too many times and for too long, and it’s well past time to stop rewarding him for it. I will contribute to whatever not-Graham is available, even if it’s the democrat. And it has nothing to do with being a trucon, it has to do with having a little something called self-respect, something you are apparently lacking.

The idea that we’re supposed to keep rewarding and supporting a guy who spits on his own party in ways he has NEVER done to the “opposing” party is not only repulsive, it’s borderline insane. Perhaps you’re into being abused. Hopefully most South Carolinians are not.

xblade on August 5, 2013 at 1:36 AM

There is also Richard Cash, though I know too little of him. No reason to dismiss him though. What does a Nancy Mace have that he doesn’t? Gingotts on August 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Bright was elected IIRC in 2008 with 60% of the vote. If he has a libertarian streak I didn’t detect it. He is ultra Conservative and against big gov, etc. I can’t recall if there was any mention of Military/Defense. I glanced at all of the issues, but will look again as I wrap up.

Cash is on my task list for Monday:-) So is mowing my yard,LOL
The only thing that I can see that Mace has that the other two don’t is the Citadel. That seems to be what she’s running on. They certainly don’t mention that website she is Pres. of.

I hope to finish my researching tomorrow and will have some links to post with what I’ve commented on. I don’t expect anyone to take my word; just don’t have time to do it all.

Yes, we do research all products we intend to buy and I agree with that point you made. I needed a new trimmer for the yard and it took me a couple of days to gather the info, LOL

Have a good evening.

I did a preview and it looks like the blockquote has a glitch, but I’m too tired to re-do it:-)

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Can we all agree that Graham is scum? Now I hope she doesn’t think that rape victims cannot get pregnant or that Obama was born in Kenya or announce she once read a book on witchcraft.

pat on August 5, 2013 at 3:17 AM

pat on August 5, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Oh, the media will find a way to destroy her. And you can bet your ass the Republican establishment will be only too happy to help. If it’s not one thing, it’s another.

gryphon202 on August 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM

A pile of Possum shinola would get my vote over Graham.

PappyD61 on August 5, 2013 at 8:09 AM

She used a canned speech, unlike the REAL politicians, who never do? Who knew?

SJoel on August 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM

So the three conservatives are going to challenge Graham, split the conservative vote, and send Graham back to the Senate.

Come on, SC conservatives! Get behind one person who’s good and fight for them all the way. That’s how we here in TX got Cruz.

Kafir on August 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM

With that logic, any woman who served in the armed forces are fembots and not truly conservative. After all, every branch of the armed forces were once an all male organization.

mizflame98 on August 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Kafir on August 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Someone from S.C. said that Graham has to get 50% or so to avoid a runoff. That sounds like the Texas election laws where Dewhurst didn’t get 50%+ and so the runoff election was between he and Cruz and Thank God, Cruz won!!

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM

mizflame98 on August 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

You missed the point. All male Military????

You may need to educate yourself and just to get you started:

The First Female U.S. Soldiers

During the Revolutionary, Civil and Mexican Wars, a small number of women were involved in combat, but they had to disguise themselves as men and enlist under aliases. Deborah Samson Gannett, from Plymouth, Massachusetts, was one of the first American woman soldiers. In 1782, she enlisted under the name of her deceased brother, Robert Shurtleff Samson. For 17 months, Samson served in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. She was wounded twice. She cut a musket ball out of her own thigh so a doctor wouldn’t find out she was a woman. Years later, in 1804, Samson was awarded a pension for her service. Also during the Revolution War, in 1776, Margaret Corbin fought alongside her husband and 600 American soldiers as they defended Fort Washington, New York.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Understand. However, that election was for an open seat. Dewhurst had more name recognition, but he wasn’t the incumbent. Graham has been in that seat so long he’s left a butt print. I think that changes things.

Kafir on August 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Kafir on August 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

That could be. At the moment I can’t remember what thread someone from S.C. talked about it. It could even be on this thread:-)

Maybe later, I’ll see if I can find it.

Thanks.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM

mizflame98 on August 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Bullsh*t! I tried to be a US Marine. OBVIOUSLY, I’ve got ZERO problem with women serving in the US military. There is a HUGE difference between enlisting in the Marines and being a woman @ the Citadel or VMI. What was done to those great places of learning was an OUTRAGE. A conservative woman would’ve respected those places and gone elsewhere. That Ms. Mace jumped right in-shows that she’s all hunky-dory w/ what was done to those schools. There’s also the whole Will Folks thing.
Trojan Horse FEMBOT!!!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Reps. Trey Gowdy, Jeff Duncan and newly-elected Mark Sanford, the state’s former governor, all have declined a bid for the Senate, leaving former 3rd Congressional District hopeful Richard Cash the only declared Republican challenger.

This is dated July 15, 2013.

Via Richard Cash website, via Newsmax.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM

mizflame98 on August 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Btw: I respect you for your service-Really, I do!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Anything, anything but another Lizzie Graham, progressive or democrat. There may be hope in this candidate and perhaps the folks in SC will see it.

Pardonme on August 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM