Nancy Mace to challenge Lindsey Graham in primary

posted at 6:31 pm on August 4, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

I’ve already been seeing mentions of this in the comments on other threads, and couple of quick hits on the cable shows, so it’s probably time to get all of this down on the record here. Nancy Mace officially announced her intention to challenge Senator Lindsey Graham for his Senate seat in the 2014 South Carolina GOP primary this weekend. The event took place at the Berkeley County GOP breakfast on Saturday.

August 3, 2013 – Goose Creek, S.C. – Nancy Mace announced her candidacy for the U.S. Senate today in Goose Creek, South Carolina. Mace is a resident of Charleston and attended The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina, where she was the school’s first female graduate from its Corps of Cadets in 1999. Mace earned a masters degree in mass communication from The University of Georgia. She currently owns and operates a public relations firm.

Mace said, “I grew up during the Reagan years. I believe our fortieth president understood what being an American was all about. He was proud, resolute, and he was an eternal optimist. Our friends knew he would be steadfast and our enemies respected him. President Reagan helped regain our national pride, but he also left us with a powerful warning. He said, ’Freedom is never more than a generation away from extinction.’ He said ‘we must fight for it, protect it, and defend it.’ I think those words ring true now more than ever.”

The idea of somebody launching a primary bid against Graham certainly won’t come as much of a surprise, and in fact businessman Richard Cash already announced his intentions to do the same. (Cash lost a bid for a House seat previously.) State Senator Lee Bright may also be throwing his hat in the ring. Unlike some other challenges to sitting Senators we’ve seen this year (reference Cheney v Enzi) there certainly seems to be an appetite for a change, at least on a national level. If that translates to an equal mood for new blood back at home, Graham could definitely be in trouble, despite being particularly well funded. But both of these challengers leave me with a few questions.

Not living in South Carolina, I’m going to go on the generous assumption that there’s more to this campaign than first meets the eye. I haven’t seen anything immediately disqualifying regarding Mace in terms of a potentially successful bid, and going by the limited sample of readers here and comments at a few other sites, she seems to be attracting some early support. But much like a few other recent examples we’ve seen in the news, I immediately find myself wondering if there isn’t some more seasoned talent on the bench. Don’t get me wrong, Mace has done much to commend her, even beyond graduating from The Citadel. She’s been busy getting married, starting a family and setting up her own public relations firm. But no matter how much of a potential fan you may be, that still sounds a little thin for a Senate run. At least Lee Bright has served in the legislative branch at the state level. I just wonder if the primary base will be asking if she has any qualifications beyond who her father is.

Her opening speech also seemed a bit canned, as if somebody told her to check a few of the basic conservative boxes and get it over with. (“Make sure to say Reagan’s name a few times, mention the constitution and get the heck out of there!”) But I also found a few previous comments she released on immigration, gun control and other important current topics, so it’s probably too soon to tell, and she may well be prepping a barrage of good, serious policy speeches to use against Graham in the inevitable debates. In any event, it looks like it will be an interesting primary season in South Carolina, and we definitely need to be recruiting more energetic, young candidates everywhere, so welcome to the race, Ms. Mace.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

She’s a veteran.

I thank her for her service.
Since me and ‘Ms’ don’t get along-it’s best that I just leave it at that.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

There’s also the whole Will Folks thing.
Trojan Horse FEMBOT!!!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

THF= Trojan Horse Fembot, love it!! Disappointing to see more support than necessary for her on HA and even Twitchy. They are so excited with the thot of getting rid of Graham, they are throwing caution to the wind.

Thanks for the help to bring them back to earth!!

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

She’s a veteran.

I thank her for her service.
Since me and ‘Ms’ don’t get along-it’s best that I just leave it at that.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Oh, I didn’t know that. Thanks. Anyone that puts their life on the line for this Country deserves all of our respect, so I join you in thanking her for her service.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Go get ‘em Nancy.

johnnyU on August 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Go get ‘em Nancy.

johnnyU on August 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

So her association with Will folks means nothing to you?
Gotcha.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I found this about runoff laws.

I’m a little surprised at the difficulty I’m having finding any clear, obvious references to the runoff laws. However, it does seem that in SC, as in most other states, anything less than a majority vote in the primary requires a runoff between the top two candidates. A large field of candidates in the primary could collectively draw enough votes away from Graham to require a runoff, which he may not even get to be in.

backwoods conservative on August 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM

It’s possible (probable even?) that Nancy Mace (daughter of a retired Military Officer) will be backed by SarahPAC, in the SC Senate Primary against Grahamnesty, AKA 4th Amendment Rights TRAMPLER.

If she seeks and passes the SarahPAC vetting, I can imagine her DEMOLISHING Lindsey Graham in the 2014 Primary …. (she looks like a potential Mama Grizzly to me, but we’ll have to see whether she passes SarahPAC’s vetting, should she request it)

in fact, this could play out in the same way that Nikki Haley’s Primary Candidacy played out in 2010 … Haley was running 4th, an unknown against 3 GOPe guys, when Sarah Palin blasted an endorsement FB missile into SC *AND* flew to SC to stand beside her in front of the State Capitol

there was a political EQ and Haley leap-frogged into the lead over all 3 Rivals at once

when the GOPe good ole boys produced their Sewer Dweller and initiated the latter arm of the ‘nutz and slutz’ strategy to sink Haley (with no substantiation, merely ‘his word’ V. ‘her word’), Sarah Palin recorded a pro-Haley RoboCall which was sent into SC and Haley prevailed easily in the run-off.

IMV, there is an amazing connection between SC Conservative voters and Madame Steel Spine …….

some of you may recall the week leading up to the SC POTUS Primary January 2012. Romney (but really Santorum won IA, in the end, after the dodgy counting of Caucus votes was rechecked) had won both IA and NH, and was going for the kill in SC… the GOPe hoping for a short, money saving POTUS Primary season …

Romney had been walking through SC with their female Governor on his arm, Haley having endorsed him …. they laughed together … she simpered and blushed when the Mitt$ter (sporting his beautiful hair and his exquisitely creased trousers/pants **__**) sang Happy Birthday to her in public ….. all was going well for Team Romney – he was comfortably ahead of Newt in the polls after the final weekend (before the following Saturday primary election) … and then, Madame Steel Spine was asked to comment on the SC Primary contest on the Tuesday night, by Hannity (9pm on Fox)

She spoke one sentence directly to SC Primary voters during her commentary, telling them that ‘if she and her family lived in SC they would vote for Newt because he had the best ideas wrt Energy Policy.’ (uh .. yup, he did, because it appeared as if Newt was using *her* Energy Policy, and Todd Palin had formally endorsed Newt, earlier, as a result)

Todd Palin hadn’t moved Newt in the polls against Romney, but that Tuesday interview with Sarah Palin DID…. Newt leapfrogged Romney in the last few days and defeated him easily on Saturday Jan 21 ….. causing HUGE PANIC in the DC GOPe and at GOPe Central Communications HQ (= FOX News Channel)

You’ll most likely remember the GOPe ‘scorch Newt’ tactics then used in FL against Newt during the following 10 days, leading to an easy win for Romney, but initiating hatred at the GOPe, because they used a media sledgehammer against Newt which they wouldn’t DREAM of using against Obama.

exodus2011 on August 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM

You missed the point. All male Military????

You may need to educate yourself and just to get you started:

The First Female U.S. Soldiers

During the Revolutionary, Civil and Mexican Wars, a small number of women were involved in combat, but they had to disguise themselves as men and enlist under aliases. Deborah Samson Gannett, from Plymouth, Massachusetts, was one of the first American woman soldiers. In 1782, she enlisted under the name of her deceased brother, Robert Shurtleff Samson. For 17 months, Samson served in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. She was wounded twice. She cut a musket ball out of her own thigh so a doctor wouldn’t find out she was a woman. Years later, in 1804, Samson was awarded a pension for her service. Also during the Revolution War, in 1776, Margaret Corbin fought alongside her husband and 600 American soldiers as they defended Fort Washington, New York.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Apparently you missed the point. Those women had to pretend to be men in order to serve. By yours and Twerps premise women dressing in drag would negate the all male status of the military in the early days.

mizflame98 on August 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Bullsh*t! I tried to be a US Marine. OBVIOUSLY, I’ve got ZERO problem with women serving in the US military. There is a HUGE difference between enlisting in the Marines and being a woman @ the Citadel or VMI. What was done to those great places of learning was an OUTRAGE. A conservative woman would’ve respected those places and gone elsewhere. That Ms. Mace jumped right in-shows that she’s all hunky-dory w/ what was done to those schools. There’s also the whole Will Folks thing.
Trojan Horse FEMBOT!!!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Would you have been happier if she dressed in drag and went though the citadel? And no. There is no difference between serving and going to the Citadel. I turned down West Point, but I wouldn’t begrudge a woman going there. If she has the chance at become an excellent officer because of the military academy; so be it. What kills me you and fox are willing to admonish this woman because of how she served instead of looking at her as a excellent opportunity to get rid of Prissy-boy Graham.

mizflame98 on August 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

exodus2011 on August 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Your facts about what you’ve stated is correct. I remember it all also, but may not have been able to lay it out as well as you have.
Good job.

Now, I must disagree that Sarah will endorse Mace. Have you read this? Please do, because that will tell you why I disagree. This thread at: bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM & bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Thanks.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I found this about runoff laws.

backwoods conservative on August 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM

It could be that each State have their own laws about runoffs? I’m not sure on that either, perhaps just a possibility. Another commenter made another point if you care to read it:
Kafir on August 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Appreciate your input backwoods conservative, thanks.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Thanks for the help to bring them back to earth!!

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Sadly all too often Twitchy gets a bit too friendly with the feminist movement for my liking…

Regardless of that, the Will Folks stuff is more black and white and easier to explain to deluded “Anybody But Graham” voters. Remember Nikki Haley will be running for reelection as all this plays out. There’s no justification for keeping that sort of connection out of the news.

I’ll be curious to see what Erick Erickson does, as he was on top of denouncing the Folks nonsense fairly early in 2010. Redstate was good at picking out Cruz as the potential star among the fractured field of unknowns in the early game of the TX primary. The guy does have a big head, but he can find winners. A bit of support for Cash or Bright out of him could change this game.

We have to remind people that just because we want anybody but Graham, doesn’t mean that we have to settle for just anybody. There’s no reason to reduce this to a lesser evil among two, when we have other strong options we can rely upon.

Gingotts on August 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Gingotts on August 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I didn’t know Gov. Haley was up for re-election. I’m sure this Nancy Mace/Will Folks story will be mentioned.

Yes, I remember Redstate was all over this. I think that is where I first read about what Fitsnews was saying about & accusing now Gov. Haley. It will be interesting to see what Erick has to say about these Graham opponents.

I agree with you there. It appears another person may enter this race. A Bill Conner, an Attorney from S.C.

From what I’ve read, some commenters on other sites are saying the more Candidates in the race will make Graham a winner! I’m confused on this and how a runoff works.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I suppose in that case it would be easier to dismiss the field as Graham and a bunch of nobodies. Too much white noise stopping the good from getting through and allowing Graham to break 50% and dodge the runoff.

That’s my guess, anyway. I don’t know as I don’t agree with that view. I say bring ‘em all in, and that it’s up to us to make sure the cream rises to the top. I’d much rather that SC voters rise to the challenge of bringing another Ted Cruz up from single-digits, than to have them stuck holding their nose between two terrible candidates.

Right now it’s just about introducing new people. Let’s see what Bill Connor has to say. That the media wants to anoint Nancy Mace as “the challenger” when there are a whole mess of alternatives only makes me more wary of her.

Gingotts on August 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Gingotts on August 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM

With more Candidates entering the race I think the S.C. voters will be able to choose wisely. Connor will make a formal announcement after 8/19. He ran for Lt. Gov in 2010 & also graduated from the Citadel. Connor was an active duty infantry officer for more than a decade before becoming an attorney.

With Connor almost sure to enter the race, I think he’ll be a
stronger Candidate than Nancy Mace. Whether he’ll be the best,
that remains to be seen.

State Senator Lee Bright hasn’t made a final decision yet.

This is going to be a National race, for sure.

bluefox on August 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM