Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on August 3, 2013 by Allahpundit

Sen. John McCain — a Democrat?

There was confusion Wednesday after the Arizona Republican mistakenly strolled into President Obama’s meeting with Senate Democrats at the Capitol.

The room full of Democrats — who happened to be meeting in the same room where the Senate GOP usually holds their weekly policy luncheons — erupted in applause and laughter as the former Republican presidential candidate made his entrance.

***

McCain said he “trust[s] the judgment” of the jury that acquitted Zimmerman, but the “stand your ground” law may have to be reconsidered

McCain also praised President Barack Obama’s speech about Trayvon Martin and the racial profiling that black men regularly face. While many have called Obama’s speech “divisive” for emphasizing issues of race, McCain thought the remarks were appropriate.

“Events like this highlight and emphasize that we have a long way to go,” McCain said. “The president very appropriately highlighted a lot of that yesterday, as only the president can.”

***

Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham and John McCain have been asked by President Barack Obama to travel to Egypt next week to urge the military to move ahead on new elections, the senators said Tuesday…

“The place is in turmoil, obviously,” the Arizona senator said. “We have credibility with everybody there, all the different factions there.”

***

All of this is to say the Mac is Back. Again.

It has been a long wait. The maverick of 2000 and the thorn in George W. Bush’s side during the years that followed became a very different figure as he captured the 2008 Republican nomination, gave us Sarah Palin, fought against health-care reform and staved off a tea party challenger in 2010. He walked away from earlier positions on tax cuts, campaign finance reform, immigration, climate change, gays in the military and other issues. When he continued that course even after the 2010 election, I figured he had been lost to the right wing…

Many on the left won’t forgive McCain his trespasses in 2008 and 2010, and many on the right won’t forgive what he did before and since. But McCain has arguably turned himself into the most important legislator in a generation, at the center of the debate on war, terrorism, spending, corruption, health care and just about everything else…

The important thing is not where McCain has been but that he’s back. He’s needed more than ever.

***

Barack Obama, to hear his advisers tell it, has finally found The One he has been looking for: John McCain.

“We have been looking literally for years for someone we can cut deals with, and finally someone has stepped up,” a White House official said. West Wing aides say they now talk with McCain roughly every other day…

White House officials said the process seemed to loosen up McCain. He no longer seems petulant or stubborn in their private conversations. This was on full display in a 90-minute conversation McCain and others had with Obama last week in the Oval Office.

“He has been a little bit grumpy — that’s gone,” said the senior White House aide. “He was joking with people in the room. He would say, ‘Let me frame it this way.’ In the past, generally what you got, not just with him but with most members, was, ‘I disagree with you.’”

***

A recent article in the conservative National Review described McCain as “Obama’s secret weapon” and a “lethal threat” to a Republican victory in the budget battles this fall…

So popular has the Arizona Republican become among Democrats that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid – who in 2008 said, “I can’t stand John McCain” – now describes him as a “great senator,” right up there with the late Ted Kennedy, the Democratic “lion of the Senate” who became a bridge between parties after his own presidential ambitions were crushed.

“He’s become our go-to guy,” a senior Democratic aide said of the 76-year-old white-haired senator…

“I think John has more job satisfaction now than any time in his career,” said Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, one of McCain’s closest friends.

***

McCain, in an Associated Press interview, said that he and Obama “trust each other.” White House chief of staff Denis McDonough, among the Obama advisers who speak regularly with McCain, praised the lawmaker as a “refreshing” partner who “welcomes a debate and welcomes action.”

In return, McCain has secured increased access to the White House and an opportunity to redeem his reputation as a Capitol Hill “maverick.” That image was tainted when McCain tacked to the right during his failed 2008 presidential run against Obama…

The administration also will try to work with McCain ahead of impending budget battles, McDonough said, given that the senator and the White House agree there is a negative impact from across-the-board federal budget cuts, particularly on the military and defense industry…

“He is the president of the United States,” McCain said. “You can strongly disagree and still be respectful.”

***

GWEN IFILL: So you think that [Obama] has changed, not you?

SEN. JOHN MCCAIN: Well, I think, obviously look, when I was railing against President Bush and voting against his tax cuts and saying that Rumsfeld ought to be fired and a number of other things, I was the brave maverick taking on his own party. So now, when we have a Democrat in the White House, who I lost to and take him on on Obamacare and other issues now he’s the angry, bitter old man. It’s neither is true. I’m just a person here carrying on a legacy that was handed down to me by a number of greater leaders than me, including Bob Dole, that looking for solutions to problems.

And so I want to work with the president where I can. And there are many areas where we do not agree fundamentally, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t work with the president of the United States. And the American people want us to do that. There’s such a thing as compromise without betraying principle.

***

***

***

“The people who are pushing this Obamacare vs. government shutdown, none of them that I know were here the last time we saw that movie,” he says…

Asked about their 2016 presidential aspirations, McCain isn’t very charitable, calling them only “viable.”

On the topic of his partnership with Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, a key Democratic leader, McCain laughed off the criticism voiced by some Republicans, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

“Sen. Schumer is a person who is as good as his word,” McCain says. “His word is good, and he reminds me, in a way, of the work that I used to do with Ted Kennedy.”

Click the image to watch.

jm2

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

G’night Jackie

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Nite Jackie

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Soooo many folks He won’t let me pray for, lately. :-(

pambi on August 4, 2013 at 1:54 AM

:-(

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I loathe this man almost as much as I loathe obaka…

ladyingray on August 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I think President McCain might very likely have been worse than Obama, and that’s no hyperbole. I think if McCain were president our troops would be spread so thin all over the world, for all the wrong, most misguided reasons, and illegal immigration would be even more rampant after McCain addressed his priorities and imposed his Amnesty in much the same way that Obama did Obamacare, (which is what McCain and the Gang of Eight are actually doing now with amnesty), and while we’d be overrun with foreign invaders McCain would probably have transformed America into a fascist police-state even faster than Obama, and we’d not only smuggling arms to Al Qaeda in Syria but probably even sacrificing American blood and treasure on their behalf, in Syria and probably many other places.

As dangerous as Obama is to our freedom and liberty, I think McCain would be even worse.

It’s too bad McCain was on the ticket in ’08 because otherwise I would have voted for Palin. Let’s hope Republicans, (or a third party), nominates Palin/Paul or Cruz/Lee in ’16.

FloatingRock on August 4, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I Promise:

williamg on August 4, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Digital immortalization. I can now pass into the next world and enter my house, justified.

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:01 AM

bazil9 on August 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Hey, Sweetie that was nice – I didn’t even notice that until now……I thought you weren’t talking to me…..Nice!

williamg on August 4, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Good Night everyone, Bmore hope you made in inside out of the dew.

MontanaMmmm on August 4, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Laying down, not a good idea yet. Word to the wise, don’t ever share two bottles of this with your lover. Or do, just stay up late while she sleeps. Lol! I can’t sleep yet. I’ll just lurk.

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM

williamg on August 4, 2013 at 1:59 AM

“Send more Chuck Berry.”

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:01 AM

It’s just a question of where to file it. :)

No, I got it.

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM

It’s cold here. 66

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:06 AM

thatsafactjack on August 4, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Sometimes you remind me of the one that got away. ;-) But she rode horses and sang country, and wore boots and tight jeans and a Cadillac smile that could kill.

TXUS on August 4, 2013 at 2:06 AM

MontanaMmmm on August 4, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Lovely! Thank you, and good night , ma’am.

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Tab?

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Rose with the funny mark over it.

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 1:35 AM

This is exactly what happened in MT Gov and Senate races.

MontanaMmmm on August 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Geesh! Those seats must be quite valuable! And now with all of the money they are paid, they will now get subsidies for Obamacare!! And that includes their staff!!! Total corruption.

I hope it will get defunded tho!! Not holding my breath tho, but plan on calling. The least I can do since Mike Lee & Cruz are doing their best.

Bedtime for me:-) Have a good rest of the evening!

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Soooo many folks He won’t let me pray for, lately. :-(

pambi on August 4, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Strange. He lets me pray for dregs. –But then, maybe it’s good for me to pray for dregs. I mean, I just called them dregs, after all.

My captain isn’t willing to leave anyone behind, though . . . so, into the sepulchers I go.

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Good Night bluefox, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:12 AM

here’s one for you, Bmore:

Paint Your Pictures

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:13 AM

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Lol! Argh! The morning. ; )

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:16 AM

One more time! hope that link works. iPad thingy.

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:18 AM

It’s cold here. 66

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Why are you sleeping outside? There c/b mosquitos :)

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Should it worry me that I understand every bit of this ???
:-)

pambi on August 4, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Good Night bluefox, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Night Bmore. If you can’t lay down yet, try a comfortable chair with pillows and a cozy blanket:-) Soft radio music helps too.

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:18 AM

It works. Cool. Haven’t listened to JJ for a long time.

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Should it worry me that I understand every bit of this ???
:-)

pambi on August 4, 2013 at 2:20 AM

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 2:20 AM

We don’t have them here. Thankfully. Sometimes no see ems, not tonight. ; ) tonight is flawless, except for the buzz. ; )

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:24 AM

“Send more Chuck Berry.”

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Your wish is my command!

williamg on August 4, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Historical Note: Chuck registered the first recorded protest against “the seat belt” in this song…..

williamg on August 4, 2013 at 2:27 AM

One more try.

Good Night All.

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:32 AM

williamg on August 4, 2013 at 2:25 AM

FWIW, the quote is from a Saturday Night Live seg on the receipt of an alien response to Voyager.

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Welcome to Zimbabwe, er obama’s America

Good nite America

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM

News from Down Under. Australians will have an election on 7 September.

Crux Australis on August 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Nite Bmore – go inside.

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Tab?

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:07 AM

The Wasteland. :) With me. Wherein shall be grit (but it’s not all bad). Some angst. You know — darker artsy s***. –Heh. Yeah. I should definitely keep praying for dregs.

If you happened to have already checked the site, hit refresh — classes have changed, images have changed. I just updated it. Ten thousand little things. *sigh* Almost done, almost done.

And stop giving me things to post. I’m trying to wrap up.

Speaking of which, someone wake up Sophie and ask her if she liked my Sext post. She didn’t say. Not that I care. I only want to know in the interest of completeness.

Should it worry me that I understand every bit of this ???
:-)

pambi on August 4, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Course you do, goofy. :) Same battalion, different posts. Sheesh. Mermaids. Smell like beer, salt spray, and surprise.

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Also, FWIW, I see Velocity TV is re-running its Isle Of Mann TT coverage.

Spectacular scenery, unbelievable photography, and motorcycle racing.

The Isle of Mann TT is the oldest motorcycle race still running. First ran in 1907.

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 2:44 AM

My browser doesn’t like your link.

As for Collette, it’s a semi-sad story. She was only interested in a one night stand. With me, it was love at first vulgarity. But it turned out she was engaged to a local gendarme. So settling for a one-nighter seemed like a good idea. It was a pretty good night.

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Sorry. I linked my local server. Again.

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Anyway, it’ll go there.

Going for a mind-clearing sandwich.

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Zatoichi Final Battle

Not the original Zatoichi, or the original music for the clip.

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 3:04 AM

September 7 – Clean Up Australia Day.

My greatest fear is low information voters who will give Rudd and the Labor Party another term.

Unfortunately conservatives in Australia have the same problem as the US. The education system has dumbed down a generation of voters and the MSM while not as bad as the US ignores or whitewashes the Labor Party’s shortcomings.

Crux Australis on August 4, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Hey, I never once wanted McCain during the 2008 campaign primary season.

bluegill on August 4, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Precisely why I voted for Ogabe and against these damnable GOP Ayatollahs.

Without a Republican in the White House to keep the establishment in power – the GOP is now in open civil war between the real conservatives and the establishment.

Predictably … the establishment has now run into the arms of the Democratic party – where their sympathies have ALWAYS been anyway.

More please – until the conservative slaves that keep voting for GOP squishes fully understand that the establishment guys they support are just as bad as any Dimmocrit out there.

HondaV65 on August 4, 2013 at 3:21 AM

My wish is that John McCain is no longer used as a representation of the Republican Party that greets Australian politicians in the US.

Is he the best you have? Honestly?

Crux Australis on August 4, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Hang in there mate. I think Mr. Abbott might pull it off.

celtic warrior on August 4, 2013 at 3:29 AM

We’re trying like hell to survive the most radical, corrupt, disastrous president and administration of our lifetimes – and what does John McCain do? He’s falling over himself to embrace Obama and cut deals with him. Unbelievable. McCain is a menace.

TarheelBen on August 4, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Pathetic behavior. The WAPO press has an incredible ability to make GOP cave. This is insane. Dana Milbank, “Maverick is back?” Heaven help us. The egos with so many of these people is just so over the top.

McCain must love attention – he’s selling us down the river. Heck, he was imprisoned for this and he now caves? If he thinks he can trust Dems he’s really in lalaland. O and his policies will kill this nation, period.

MN J on August 4, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Hot Air commenters from Arizona thought. J D Hayworth was going to be worse?

smoothsailing on August 4, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Is it possible to recall a Senator?

MTF on August 4, 2013 at 7:29 AM

McCain-just another crackpot liberal who enjoys keeping the Republican Party in constant turmoil. Loser is just too polite a word to describe this jerk. He’s getting way too much attention for him to switch parties. He loves to be called a maverick. That term energizes his ego!

mobydutch on August 4, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Bmore,novaculus,blufox,Axe,bazil9 and others – how about taking your niceties and personal dream statements to twitter where this nonsense belongs, instead of subjecting the rest of us to your useless blather.
This site is for earnest discussions about losers like McCain and his hero Obama, not your sweet notes to each other.
Have a good day!

gunter on August 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Blessed Sabbath, Patriots!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

C. S. Lewis
“The War Against Christianity: “Zealot”” My take.

kingsjester on August 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM

It’s in John’s genes to be lie as his admiral father did when his father covered the attack on the USS Liberty. A polite way to call him a lier is call him a maverick.

mixplix on August 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM

gunter on August 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Sure thing gunter. Just for you.

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Oh, my, now betraying your principles is ok if you gain a political compromise. I regret my vote more each day. The left never compromises their principles. They may settle for a slightly smaller tax hike because they know they can come back again for another bite from our wallets later. Making deals in DC is another word for vote buying and what’s in it for me. He’s working on his legacy.

Kissmygrits on August 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Oh, and, gunter. How about you start making some comments.

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Wow, lest my quick search on you gunter is bad. That was your first comment ever on HA. Good one. Lol!

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM

gunter doesn’t get it. gunter no good.

gracie on August 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM

gunter on August 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

So, your first comment on HotGas?

I eagerly await your next contribution.

novaculus on August 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM

gunter on August 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

But — I love her so much.

Kissmygrits on August 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I wouldn’t beat myself up. All you can do is act on what you see, and if you’re growing, you see better today than you did yesterday. Can’t judge Kissmygrits yesterday against Kissmygrits today — would never measure up. :)

I agree with your analysis on progs being happy to move the ball at all. Once it’s written, the foundation’s laid, and it’s nothing to come back and make 4 cents 6 and a half, then eight, then nine and a half . . .

Axe on August 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Argh……….where is that confounded boat? I know where it should be. Question is, will it?

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM

gunter on August 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Plus, why did I get top billing. I was hardly here last evening. Even when I was. ; )

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Sadly, the carpetbagger who abandoned his long-suffering wife for an easy House District he could win in Arizona, and the beer baroness trophy-wife, hasn’t connected with his one-time constituency for years!
His alleged “good friend Bud Day” finally passed away. Johnny Mac should have learned a few things from HIM like: Duty, Honor, Country.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Have a good day!

gunter on August 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Bluegill…is that you?

Sorry, lil feller…QOTD is an open thread and people come here to have a little fun.
If you can’t deal with that…if chit-chat upsets you…too bad. Eff off.

We were here having fun long before you showed up…and we’ll be here having fun long after you’re gone.

Solaratov on August 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Have a good day!

gunter on August 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Bless your little ole heart:-)

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

ROFL Glad to see you survived!!

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM

@gunter. This was the most political QOTD in a very very long time.

Ooops, are we still talkin politics? Crap! I ‘ll just lurk. ; )

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Well, McConnell doesn’t plan on being left out!

Three Obama-McConnell Deals

U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has negotiated three major deals with President Obama to (1) raise the debt limit, (2) increase taxes, and (3) fund Obamacare. All three are very bad for American taxpayers. Will he help President Obama enact a fourth deal to grant amnesty to illegal immigrants?

bluefox on August 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM

gunter on August 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Wow, who held a gun to your free head and forced you to read a single comment?

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM

About 70 commnets total, but first one on QotD. Obviously not familiar with the QotD.

Be merciful. Did your head clear up? :)

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

comments…and I definitely am not drunk :)

Schadenfreude on August 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Yes, I feel rather good oddly enough. Lol! I did find the boat. Exactly where I had left it. Lol! ; )

Bmore on August 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM

McCain, Grahamnest, and oba-mao have one overwhelming thing in common…. they are legends in their own minds……………

ultracon on August 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM

There’s such a thing as compromise without betraying principle.

Unfortunately, McCain hasn’t figured out how to do that yet – it’s always and only about betraying principle.

Midas on August 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Al Sharpton should send McCain a free membership in the National Action Network.—Regular Right Guy

Mornin Mojo on August 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I have two words for McCain & Graham…”Go Away”

DanvilleMom on August 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM