Iranian leader: Hey, I was misquoted on that “Israel is a wound on the world” thing, okay?

posted at 11:31 am on August 3, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Erika first alerted us to this story yesterday, where the new leader of Iran was supposed to have called Israel a wound inflicted on the Muslim world that must be cleansed. But that can’t be right, can it? I mean, we were widely promised that Hassan Rouhani (who at least had the good taste to have a name which was slightly more pronounceable than his predecessor) was the “moderate” guy, signaling a new era of lowered tensions with the west.

Well everyone can calm down now. He wants the world to know that he was actually misquoted on that one. (This is where we spin up the Onion Headline Generator and wait for, “what I meant to say was ‘universe,’ not “Muslim world.” Thank you very much. Omar! Where’s my half caf latte? Rouhani Out!)

But seriously, the Gray Lady is rushing to press to make sure we all know that he said no such thing.

As my colleague Thomas Erdbrink reports from Tehran, Iran’s state media scrambled on Friday to correct comments wrongly attributed to the country’s president-elect, Hassan Rouhani, after he was incorrectly quoted calling Israel “a sore which must be removed.”

Press TV, the English-language arm of Iran’s state broadcaster, subtitled Mr. Rouhani’s actual remarks, made to a reporter during the Islamic republic’s annual march for Quds, the Arabic name for Jerusalem.

Whew! That’s a relief. We were starting to think you were some kind of a nutjob there for a minute. So what did you really say?

The video shows that the cleric did not mention Israel by name or call for its elimination, but did compare “the shadow of the occupation of the holy land of Palestine and the dear Quds,” to a “wound” or “sore” that “has been sitting on the body of the Islamic world for many years.”

Ummm… I’m not looking for a job as your PR guy here, (you’re not hiring at the moment, are you?) but that really doesn’t sound that much better. Are you sure you needed to issue a correction? Or are you implying that you meant to say that they’re a sore on the body of the Islamic world, but you’re really into having trendy sores all over you, so you welcome them and want to keep them?

Also, the background context tends to leave us a bit befuddled as to your retraction.

A longer clip of the state television broadcast showed Mr. Rouhani smiling and waving in the parade as chants of “Death to Israel” echoed in the background.

Man… your translator managed to really confuse the entire crowd too, huh? Well, what can we say? Mistakes happen. Welcome to the party, pal.

UPDATE: (Jazz) Corrected the spelling of Israel in the title, which my fingers have tried to type with the a and e reversed for my entire life for some reason.

Comments

the moderate

rob verdi on August 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM

The Islamic world is a cancer upon the rest of the world.

nobar on August 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Israel truly Is-real but the spelling in the headline quote isn’t. I presume that’s how the Iranians spell it?

iamsaved on August 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM

“Nuisance?” I said “nuance.” Nu-ance.

Christien on August 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM

the moderate

rob verdi on August 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM

He’s only moderately obsessed, where Imaneedajob was totally obsessed.

Hammie on August 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Speaking of “corrections”: “Isreal”?

Al-Ozarka on August 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I would have felt better if he’d followed up the correction with “some of my best friends are Jews”, or, “those wacky Jews, they have some sense of humor”, or “I can’t imagine why anyone would ever think I have anything against the Jews. I mean, it’s … it’s preposterous”.

Paul-Cincy on August 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Israel is still spelled Israel not Isreal, so how about a correction w/ that?

vityas on August 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM

The Koran:

Sura – And slay them wherever ye find them ..

ama on August 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Yes, yes. Updated. I touch type the name of Israel with the a and the e reversed for some reason. I’ve done it forever and tend to miss it if I don’t have the spell checker on in a text field. My bad.

Jazz Shaw on August 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Islam is a religion of conversion — either by the word or by the sword. How’s that for a peaceful religion. Suuuuuuure . . .

The Iranians are nothing more that practiced liars. If I were Netanyahu, I’d already be making plans to protect Israel.

Conservchik on August 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Jazz Shaw on August 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Yo man, you just keepin’ it real.

Flange on August 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM

The saddest part is that there are so many out there whom will actually believe this wanker was misquoted and didn’t mean what he (or the crowd) was advocating.

It’s no different than Arafat / Abbas and others saying one thing in Arabic and something entirely different in English – with the reprehensible elements of the mainstream media only focusing on the lies offered in English as ‘truth’.

They really do believe that their greatest enemy is a)the Jewish state, and b) the one pro-western capitalistic and free society that is a success in the region.

Athos on August 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Oh, ok. So he wasn’t talking about Israel, he was talking about…….Israel.

Bitter Clinger on August 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It’s more of a scab constantly being picked at.

abobo on August 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Well that’s reassuring.

Cylor on August 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Jazz Shaw on August 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Israel is real.

abobo on August 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Jazz Shaw on August 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

How about adding a spell checker feature to the Hot Gas comments?

Del Dolemonte on August 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Hassan Rouhani?

How do we know that Cabbage Patch kid with the beard isn’t really just a Zionist plant inside the government of Iran?

You people in Teheran should really look into that.

PappyD61 on August 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Up yours, Rouhani!

Oh, and regards from Jerusalem, the eternal capital city of the Jewish nation in the land of Israel.

Shy Guy on August 3, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Jazz Shaw on August 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

How about adding a spell checker feature to the Hot Gas comments?

Del Dolemonte on August 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

If you’re using Mozilla Firefox you already have one. It’s what generally saves me from major-league spelling errors. BTW, I have the same problem with “Isreal” that Jazz does. Not to mention consistently misspelling “guard” as “gurad”, which sound vaguely Tlinganaase now that I think about it.

cheers

eon

eon on August 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM

How about adding a spell checker feature to the Hot Gas comments?

Del Dolemonte on August 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

cheers

eon

eon on August 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Ditto. Proofing this post, Firefox has underlined with a red squiggly line these words:

blockquote
Dolemonte
Tlinganaase
Isreal
gurad

I like it because I make an effort to spell correctly, and as I get older, my spelling gets worse. Shows some respect for the reader.

Paul-Cincy on August 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

For those with short memories, let me remind you that the entire corrupt socialist media PRAISED IRAN for putting “moderate” Rouhani in power !!!!

Like you, I was wondering about the difference between a “moderate” muslim islamofascist jihadist America-hater and a “regular” muslim islamofascist jihadist America-hater so I went to my local terrorist training center (aka mosque) but they wouldn’t talk to me, much less let me in. I then went to the next best source, the local headquarters of the d-cRAT socialist party. They graciously showed me to their “friends” and “enemies” files to use for my research. (Unfortunately, all the “enemies” files were listed as on “permanent loan” to the local IRS office.) In the “friends” files I did find the two key differences between “regular” and “moderate” muslim islamofascist jihadist America-haters:
1. After slaughtering/beheading a Christian, Jew or any American, the “moderates” DO NOT do an NFL-type end-zone victory dance. The “regulars” are quite the hoofers, however.
2. Though the “regulars” insist on 72 virgins when they go to their great Allah in the sky, the “moderates” want ONLY half that many and look forward to 36 virgins. (However, when they see that the virgins look exactly like maxine waters, helen thomas and shrillary rotten clinton – but with even more facial hair – both the “regulars” and the “moderates” scream “HOLY SHIITE!” and commit themselves to staying perpetually celebrate for the rest of eternity.)

Now you know the ONLY differences between a “moderate” and a “regular” muslim islamofascist jihadist America-hater

TeaPartyNation on August 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Guess McCain and Graham support this moderate. We can get rid of Graham.

they lie on August 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Happy Moslem Santa Claus of Love!

Sherman1864 on August 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM

If only, if only the NYT was so quick to correct lies about what conservatives have said, or have been misquoted to have said.

Yeah, I know. I live in a dream world.

avagreen on August 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Hassan Rouhani is a top echelon Mossad agent, the equivalent of a British MI-5. And he’s so well trained that he cannot be broken even under torture. Go ahead! Try to get him to break and admit who he’s working for. You’ll NEVER break him! THAT’S how tough the Mossad agents are!

Mahdi on August 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM