Video: “Lone Survivor” trailer

posted at 7:31 pm on August 1, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

When I first read “Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of Seal Team 10″ by retired Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell, I was pretty much alternating between bawling my eyes out or fist-pumping while shouting “‘MURIKA!” through most of the book. It really was an intense and gripping read, and the author certainly didn’t shy away from delivering a few of his political opinions borne of his military experiences — which is why I couldn’t stop one eyebrow from arching suspiciously when I heard that Hollywood was making a film version, because Hollywood too often tends to have pretty much the opposite politics. I’m going to stick with the benefit of the doubt and hope that they do the book justice, because if they do, they have the basis for a stellar and thought-provoking movie on their hands:

Comments

Grantland breaks down all the epic beards in this film

Can’t wait to see it, this is a story of true heroism that needs to be told.

commodore on August 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Mark Walhberg picking up right where he left off in “Shooter”. Except this one is a true story.

Moose Drool on August 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Great story and well told.
I’ve always wondered if Marcus ever got to thank that village and their elders that gave him ‘sanctuary’ when he was really busted up? My guess is that things might have gotten dicey for them after he was allowed to make his was to the Rangers who were looking for him.

Missilengr on August 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM

… way to the Rangers …
Darn keyboard.

Missilengr on August 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Hollywood makes this film NOW because the commander-in-chief is their God. I know these events happened under Bush, which only adds to the reason why this film is coming out now.

a1776patriot on August 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM

A lot of really great individuals gave their lives during those few days in Afghanistan. I really hope they do them all justice here.

deadrody on August 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM

One of the best books I’ve ever read, and I read alot of books.

I hope this movie does justice to the memory of the members of SEAL team 10 who paid the ultimate price and the lone survivor of that mission Marcus Luttrell.

If you haven’t read the book I urge you to pick it up, you’ll be glad you did. America should be thankful for men like these. They should be revered by all who call themselves Americans. Their names should be known by all, sadly most will never know of true hero’s that protect us.

D-fusit on August 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Marcus Luttrell, Thank you for your service Sir.

Bmore on August 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I hope they did well by Lt. Michael Murphy. He led the mission. He died trying to save his men. He won the Congressional Medal of Honor.

rrpjr on August 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

When I read this book I threw it down several times, bawling. No way a movie can do it justice but I hope it comes close.

Fair winds and following seas shipmates.

traye on August 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I just saw that Peter Berg is directing. Not promising — he’s a hack.

rrpjr on August 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Waay back..couldn’t stand Marky Mark or Donny…NKOTB…

Who knew…They turned out to be fairly decent actors..both of them.

Good on them.

BigWyo on August 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

The book was a great read and I cried several times from it. Heroes literally giving everything they have…. Tremendous sacrifice shown for their brothers in battle. I encourage everyone to read it first before seeing the movie. I’m pretty sure Marcus Luttrell was an advisor on the movie and gave them a lot of input on it so it should be pretty authentic. I’m pretty excited about the movie myself. Even though Walhberg isn’t 6’4″ like Marcus is lol much smaller in fact but that’s ok. I think he’ll do a great job in this movie.

sadsushi on August 1, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I think you have to decision tree it….kill the herd boys or let them go, but…you have to weigh in a lot of factors. I’m glad I’m not confronted with that sort of decision. I’m not sure that the herd boys would ahve seen home.

JFKY on August 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I’m not sure that the herd boys would ahve seen home.

JFKY on August 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I know what I would have done.

sharrukin on August 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

A good book on Afghanistan or small unit combat and the Fog of War is Robert’s Ridge.
Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan [Mass Market Paperback]
Malcolm MacPherson (Author)

JFKY on August 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM

sharrukin on August 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Gotta know, and there is no “right” answer, but do the herders make it home?

JFKY on August 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Gotta know, and there is no “right” answer, but do the herders make it home?

JFKY on August 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I would have killed them, and I think it is the right decision, or you shouldn’t be there on a mission that doesn’t matter enough to make that choice. Every special operations group faces that possibility and they should have answered that question before they ever left base. It’s ugly, but they cannot take prisoners.

sharrukin on August 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM

sharrukin on August 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I tend to agree..unfairly, but with HINDSIGHT, you end up with 3 SEALS dead, and a whole bunch of dead Afghans…or two got herds dead…2<than 3 + a bunch of other people…

BUT, that is with hindsight…I'd still want to think, at least quickly, "If they don't turn up soon, will that be the same as letting them go?" Will someone come looking, find the bodies, and then start looking? So how much time do we buy by killing them?

I am so thankful that I am not confronted with those decisions…though I imagine the Team, as you say, had thought about that scenario BEFORE the insertion.

JFKY on August 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Unknown hours into ‘Hell Week’ boats back on the water trying to make headway against the raging Pacific. Tested young men exerting an extra measure (many times over) are working paddles with what reserve energy they can muster. Far beyond anything we can imagine.
From the shore a command: “Dump the boats!”
From the group of men at sea so close to becoming SEAL’s, exhaused to near coma … one voice is heard at full throat, “Asshole!”

You just have to admire them, they are the best. And they are the ones who visit violence upon our enemies any day anytime anywhere and allow us to sleep in peace. God bless them.

Missilengr on August 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM

AQ few hours can make a huge difference and the certain knowledge that they are Americans will also change in what manner and how quickly the enemy reacts. Missing boys does not mean an American combat team, just missing boys.

JFKY on August 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM

There is nothing good about being faced with that situation that is certain.

sharrukin on August 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM

As I say my thought would have been to kill them too….I’m responsible for my TEAM, not the boys.

But I wasn’t there and I never will be there…and I haven’t read the book, so I don’t know what Luttrell thinks of the decision…

JFKY on August 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I read No Easy Day, Long Survivor, and American Sniper back-to-back. A common thread was harsh criticism of senior military command and JCS; those who develop dangerous ROE’s and the new age PC war doctrine that puts them at heightened risk, instead of empowering then to defeat and eliminate the enemy. Wonder if this film will resonate and project this message.

Tripwhipper on August 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Should have killed the captives.

Never let Taliban go.

Hard lesson.

Gitmo???

profitsbeard on August 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

JFKY on August 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Great read.

He thought it was the biggest mistake of his life.

Immediately.

profitsbeard on August 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Wonder if this film will resonate and project this message.

Tripwhipper on August 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Spoiler alert! It won’t.

platypus on August 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Kick ass trailer. thx for posting

ted c on August 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM

rrpjr on August 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Sorry to pick nits, but the Medal of Honor is not “won”.

It is earned.

climbnjump on August 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

As part of their parole, the two losers who killed his beloved DASY should be forced to attend a screening.

Christien on August 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

CAN NOT WAIT for this movie

Peter Berg is a liberal hack but I applaud him for really getting behind making this movie

Prediction– this movie will “surprise” all the leftist idiots in hollywood who still don’t get that WE want to see patriotic, uplifting, heroic movies

We all need to see this movie en masse and send a message

Meanwhile we all need to boycott that steaming piece of leftist, Occupy, class warfare bullshit “Elysium”– I hope to God if flops

“Lone Survivor” and “Ender’s Game” will be seen by me multiple times in the theater– time to vote with our pocketbooks

thurman on August 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM

True military story about true American heroes with Peter Gabriel singing a David Bowie song.

I don’t see a downside.

rihar on August 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Should have killed the captives.

Never let Taliban go.

Hard lesson.

Gitmo???

profitsbeard on August 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

They weren’t taliban fighters..It was 3 guys with about 100 goats…even if you kill them you have the problem of the goats..what to do with them? but since they let them go they went and told the taliban…really a no win situation

sadsushi on August 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM

rrpjr on August 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Sorry to pick nits, but the Medal of Honor is not “won”.

It is earned.

climbnjump on August 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Don’t be sorry, climbnjump, you’re exactly right.
I’ve seen the word “won” used so many times, and probably been guilty of it myself.

We should correct that. It’s NOT “Publisher’s Clearing House.”

listens2glenn on August 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Christien on August 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I thought there were four of those “losers”.

Did two of them die in prison? I didn’t think any of them would survive prison, if the ‘population’ found out why they were there.

listens2glenn on August 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I hope, hope they don’t portray them as hot dogs or savages or war lovers.

I will wait for the reviews, or I may end up throwing something at the screen.

PattyJ on August 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM

They weren’t taliban fighters..It was 3 guys with about 100 goats…

sadsushi on August 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM

They were Taliban sympathizers who went to inform the Taliban militant arm immediately.

sharrukin on August 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I stayed up until 2 in the morning reading the last 150 pages of this book in one sitting one night and then bought a case of books and just gave it to a bunch of people. Awesome story of real heroes, I really pray that the movie does justice to them.

Ellis on August 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Watching the trailer and reading the part in the book about the 3 goat herders I am kinda disappointed with the trailer..That line ‘this is not a vote’ isn’t accurate..they all did vote on what to do with them and Marcus was the deciding vote on to let them go..he regretted it a short time later though but the point is they did vote on it…that’s not cool that they would actually change that in the movie

sadsushi on August 1, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Waay back..couldn’t stand Marky Mark or Donny…NKOTB…Who knew…They turned out to be fairly decent actors..both of them.Good on them.
BigWyo on August 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Ditto. I met, more like ran into Marky Mark and his posse in town for a USO event back in the early 90s. We were so hoping he would start punching so we could sue him but his bodyguards held him back. Can’t remember exactly why other than we were supposed to be in awe rather than mocking him and he started raging.

But since they went Hollywood I actually like their work.

AH_C on August 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Sorry to pick nits, but the Medal of Honor is not “won”.

It is earned.

climbnjump on August 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I see the point. But to pick another nit, but I’m not crazy about “earned” either. It implies an effort of intention, to set out to acquire something — an earning. I don’t believe that is ever the case.

I should have said “he was awarded.”

Or perhaps, “he was honored with.”

rrpjr on August 2, 2013 at 1:02 AM

rrpjr on August 2, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Awarded is the best description.

hawkdriver on August 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM

And we don’t kill civilians.

hawkdriver on August 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Taliban Hunting Club: I’d love to find that patch!

ExpressoBold on August 2, 2013 at 8:29 AM

BigWyo on August 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Read and seen enough of Mark Wahlberg to know he had some epipheny in his life and turned himself around. He’s an everyday church goer when he’s not between shoots, and even is when there’s one near.

Was told he visits a church in New Orleans regularly and is best friends with the shoe shiner who works in the hotel near the church. When he heard the guy had never even been out of New Orleans he paid for he and his wife to go to Europe.

Sorry if that’s all vague but if he wanted people to know he’d have said it.

As far as Berg goes, he directed Battleship and went out of his way to salute the heroes of WWII.

itsspideyman on August 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM

And we don’t kill civilians.

hawkdriver on August 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I guess I’ll have to see the movie to figure out why they couldn’t have just left them tied up and gagged. I think it would have bought them the same amount of time as killing them since, eventually, someone would come looking for them. I too am glad I don’t have to make such choices.

Kafir on August 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Great Book, Great Story ,True Hero’s. I highly suggest that you read Marcus Lattrell’s follow up book “Service” It tells more of his story after his rescue and about those who help recover his Teammates. It also reviels what happen to those in the village that protected him.

I will also mention a Great Book about Faith, Honor and Redeption, “Fearless” it is about Navy SEAL Adam Brown

Sparty on August 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I have neither the right, nor the arrogance, to second-guess these professionals for their choice. The truth of a situation is impossible to convey in its entirety, even in book form, much less a film. We can all imagine constructing the perfect response and carrying it out, but outside of being there, we can’t really say what we would or would not do, or why.

U.S. military members are, by and large, the most humane troops on the face of the Earth. We would always rather let someone live if they aren’t a direct and immediate threat. That’s why we don’t just carpet-bomb everywhere we go. Life is precious, and it is always tragic when someone who is not trying to kill someone else ends up dead. We believe that, and it is why the decision portrayed here was made. “We don’t do that.”

The opposite argument being presented in the comments seems to have similar merit. If you pop the shepherds, you will get clear of the Taliban and there won’t be a large firefight with many more casualties. Ironically, that is the same argument made by the fictional Senator in the movie “Shooter”. They destroyed an entire village as an example, so that every other village would simply comply with their requests to move away from resources, rather than have to fight with each group one after the other. Kill a few to save many.

It is an immoral choice every time. The Seals did the only right thing. That there is evil, and that evil fights, is a fact of war. That fact cannot be allowed to force good people to make evil choices.

Freelancer on August 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Sen Bob Kerrey faced a similar situation in Nam. This is how the Viet Cong remembered the incident:

From 8PM to 9PM February 25th, 1969, a group of Seal Rangers [sic] (one of the most selective rangers of U.S. Army) led by Lieutenant Bob Kerry [sic] reached for Hamlet 5, Thanh Phong Village, Thanh Phu District, Ben Tre Province. They cut 66 year-old Bui Van Vat and 62 year-old Luu Thi Canh’s necks and pulled their three grandchildren out from their hiding place in a drain and killed two, disembowelled one. Then, these rangers moved to dug-outs of other families, shot dead 15 civilians (including three pregnant women), disembowelled a girl. The only survivor was a 12-year-old girl named Bui Thi Luom who suffered a foot injury. (Wiki)

War is hell.

I don’t know how those Seals do what they do, every day, 24 hours a day. I respect and admire Marcus and his team members even though they make me feel cowardly, puny and useless.

BigAlSouth on August 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM

“Lone Survivor” is a great book, as is “No Easy Day”. As an architect with the Navy, sometimes these guys are my customers. To a man they are the most hung-ho yet well-adjusted men I have ever met. They are faithful husbands and proud fathers.

SicSemperTyrannus on August 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

listens2glenn on August 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I also recall hearing four were involved, but my quick search only showed two received prison sentences. Could be wrong, though.

Christien on August 3, 2013 at 4:14 AM