Report: Blogger gets visit from cops for Googling “pressure cookers” and “backpacks?”

posted at 9:31 pm on August 1, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

This story got a lot of buzz on the Internets today, as it seemed to suggest that the dragnetting of America’s phone metadata and browsing habits via Prism by NSA might be resulting in young couples with simultaneous interests in new pressure cookers and backpacking were being raided by armed law enforcement.

The blogger in question is Michele Catalano, who some of you may remember from her blog, “A Small Victory,” on which she wrote during the mid-2000s. As the story evolved throughout the day, police released a statement clarifying that it wasn’t NSA’s dragnetting that got her family ensnared but the “see something say something” impulse of an employer on whose computer the above Googling occurred.

Here is Catalano’s account of her experience, which she theorized had something to do with her family’s Googling habits, based on the questioning her husband got. Read the whole thing because she’s a good writer:

What happened was this: At about 9:00 am, my husband, who happened to be home yesterday, was sitting in the living room with our two dogs when he heard a couple of cars pull up outside. He looked out the window and saw three black SUVs in front of our house; two at the curb in front and one pulled up behind my husband’s Jeep in the driveway, as if to block him from leaving.

Six gentleman in casual clothes emerged from the vehicles and spread out as they walked toward the house, two toward the backyard on one side, two on the other side, two toward the front door.

A million things went through my husband’s head. None of which were right. He walked outside and the men greeted him by flashing badges. He could see they all had guns holstered in their waistbands.

“Are you [name redacted]?” one asked while glancing at a clipboard. He affirmed that was indeed him, and was asked if they could come in. Sure, he said.

They asked if they could search the house, though it turned out to be just a cursory search. They walked around the living room, studied the books on the shelf (nope, no bomb making books, no Anarchist Cookbook), looked at all our pictures, glanced into our bedroom, pet our dogs. They asked if they could go in my son’s bedroom but when my husband said my son was sleeping in there, they let it be.

Meanwhile, they were peppering my husband with questions. Where is he from? Where are his parents from? They asked about me, where was I, where do I work, where do my parents live. Do you have any bombs, they asked. Do you own a pressure cooker? My husband said no, but we have a rice cooker. Can you make a bomb with that? My husband said no, my wife uses it to make quinoa. What the hell is quinoa, they asked.

They searched the backyard. They walked around the garage, as much as one could walk around a garage strewn with yardworking equipment and various junk. They went back in the house and asked more questions.

Have you ever looked up how to make a pressure cooker bomb? My husband, ever the oppositional kind, asked them if they themselves weren’t curious as to how a pressure cooker bomb works, if they ever looked it up. Two of them admitted they did.

The Suffolk County Police Department, who made the visit to Catalano, later released this statement explaining how her family came to be targeted:

Suffolk County Criminal Intelligence Detectives received a tip from a Bay Shore based computer company regarding suspicious computer searches conducted by a recently released employee. The former employee’s computer searches took place on this employee’s workplace computer. On that computer, the employee searched the terms “pressure cooker bombs” and “backpacks.”

After interviewing the company representatives, Suffolk County Police Detectives visited the subject’s home to ask about the suspicious internet searches. The incident was investigated by Suffolk County Police Department’s Criminal Intelligence Detectives and was determined to be non-criminal in nature.

Catalano said the cops cleared out in 45 minutes after a pretty casual, cursory search, but that it left her slightly shaken. I’m glad to hear that there was a step between the Googling and the reporting of the Googling— that Googling directly intercepted by the feds or local terrorism task force was not the impetus for this search. But I’m not sure how to feel about this, also from Catalano’s account.

They mentioned that they do this about 100 times a week. And that 99 of those visits turn out to be nothing. I don’t know what happens on the other 1% of visits and I’m not sure I want to know what my neighbors are up to.

I’m really glad they’re investigating terrorism leads to keep people safe, and am thankful every time one of these investigations turns up a would-be Tsarnaev. But I also know that armed police inquiries at your door can get pretty out of hand pretty fast. Misunderstandings and bad judgment calls far too often leads to accidental shootings and puppycide. I don’t blame Catalano for feeling taken aback. Six cops in several cars at the porch of your home, looking for you, never exactly feels like a “no harm, no foul” moment. This is what the trade-offs look like, and we have to decide if we’re comfortable with them.

Comments

…WTF?

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

…but they know nothing about Fast & Furious and Benghazi!

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM

It’s also a bad idea to search for yellow cake uranium and high quality centrifuges….
A friend of mine, Dr. Sheldon Cooper, found that out….

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

…there’s an IRS phony scandal?

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

No warrant , no entry.

Bmore on August 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I don’t have the problem I had with the earlier version of the story.

KCB on August 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I guess we now know for sure what google does with our search data….

“Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you…”

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

The big question is why did he let them search? Even if you have nothing to hide always put the burden of a warrant on law enforcement.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

you know I liked this country better without the internet.

unseen on August 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Suuure….thats what they want you to think.

Mimzey on August 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Lesson of the day – don’t search for bombs on your employer’s computer just before you get canned.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

you know I liked this country better without the internet.

unseen on August 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I say that all the time.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Sorry. What?

We are in favor of the government fishing for criminals now?

lorien1973 on August 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

…six guys in 3 SUV’?…were their tires bearing the correct pressure?

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

So they got a tip and checked it out.

What’s the problem?

myiq2xu on August 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I thought the original story said he was Googling “backpacks” and she was Googling “pressure cookers”…Did they work for the same employer and use the same pc..?

d1carter on August 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

KCB on August 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

This is quite a different version than the first one printed.

Barred on August 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I never thought the day would come where you had to choose between a lover of freedom and a lover of the USA. Sad really really sad.

unseen on August 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

My nephew who lives in Nashua sent me this link:

myiq2xu on August 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM

…six guys in 3 SUV’?…were their tires bearing the correct pressure?

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

With the demise of the Crown Victoria, the only body-on-frame vehicles (preferred for police work because those vehicles have the chance of not needing a frame realignment after a crash) with a covered cargo area are (some) full-size SUVs and vans.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Lucky they didn’t shoot the dogs….
That seems to happen a lot lately during police activities….

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Lucky they didn’t shoot the dogs….
That seems to happen a lot lately during police activities….

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

If they were fawns, they would have been shot.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

If this is how it really happened I can’t get up in arms. The guy gave them permission to search, and they were cursory and non invasive, as searches go. They brought some manpower, but had it been what they came for, the manpower would have been warranted. Nothing indicates that they were rude or overbearing. I wouldn’t have let them search without a warrant, but he did. Doesn’t move my outrage meter.

KCB on August 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

What is it with police nowadays showing up with overwhelming force just to question people? Or to take a fawn from an animal shelter? We’re talking Suffolk County here, in NY where guns are effectively banned. Why did it take six cops for this, and almost fifteen to take a fawn out of an animal shelter?

Liam on August 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I say that all the time.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I’m a big sci-fi/fantasy reader. the internet reminds my of Tolkien and his one ring to rule them all plot. Just seems so apt. how everyone at first loved the rings because it gave them more power but only later did they find out the rings came with a catch. That by using the rings they gave up there ability to stay hidden from the One ring.

Internet works the same way.

unseen on August 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

If they were fawns, they would have been shot.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

If we are talking about the same fawn, that pissed me off too!

KCB on August 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I am so glad we didn’t miss the Boston bombers and didn’t need the public to identify their pics posted on the FBI website and national tv and internet.

d1carter on August 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM

If we are talking about the same fawn, that pissed me off too!

KCB on August 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

That was a series of clusterfarks that merely ended with the DNR shooting that fawn.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Liam on August 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Overtime pay, baby!

ShainS on August 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM

“I’m really glad they’re investigating terrorism leads to keep people safe, and am thankful every time one of these investigations turns up a would-be Tsarnaev.”

I don’t know of one example in which this eavesdropping HAS turned up a would-be bomber. I keep hearing there are examples but oddly we never get proof or specifics.

echosyst on August 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Secret warrants issued by secret judges and people are surprised when the Secret Police show up? US citizens defecting to Russia, welcome to America 2013.

Wallythedog on August 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Which would in and of itself be insufficient probable cause unless one or more employees of the Bay Shore based computer company made statements to the police stating they felt the person of interest was likely to follow through.

Lesson learned:

Out: Ex-employee was a screwup according to those who remain employed.

In: Ex-employee is a likely terrorist according to those who remain employed.

PolAgnostic on August 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM

echosyst on August 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I wasn’t referring to the NSA programs, which have not been shown to pick up potential terrorists in any meaningful way. I was referring to more old-fashioned investigations and see-something-say-something type endeavors, as this appears to be.

Mary Katharine Ham on August 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

The guy made these searches on his work computer. No expectation of privacy. I think his former employer did the right thing. I don’t see a foul.. It’s a no-call.

KCB on August 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Hi MKH!

KCB on August 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

heh…B9 would have told him no BRO. No warrant..no entry.

bazil9 on August 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM

No, it was not.

DNR employees routinely “terminate” wild animals rescued by civilians.

Locally, the DNR yahoo threatened to pull the license of a beloved vet given two fawns by the local fire department.

PolAgnostic on August 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on August 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

But is it really preferable that our government only others us / spies on us with the old fashioned methods — getting your friends and family to drop a dime on you — and not yet with the newer methods of just monitoring all of our internet traffic?

The whole “see something, say something” campaign creeps me out, especially in combination with omnipresent CCTV cameras and government surveillance and gives me the same feeling of “big brother is watching”

Timin203 on August 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM

…I know!…families shouldn’t have these vehicles!…ask JugEars!

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

[KCB on August 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM]

Same here.

I’m still surprised by the 100 times a week comment. I’d like to think they were referring to all types of concern calls, not just terrorism related ones, but it doesn’t seem to me that 6 police in 3 cars match with all types of calls, so it must be terrorism types. The 100 calls a week certainly explains the laid back and cursory way they handled it, though.

Dusty on August 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM

So, basically, the gradual conditioning of people to rat out their neighbors without a second thought continues apace.

CurtZHP on August 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Yeah, how many morons buy that?

astonerii on August 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Oh great, MKH, with that title now all of Hot Air and us commenters are under stricter NSA scrutiny. I guess my plans to go on a murderous rampage have been shot down.

rbj on August 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

DNR employees routinely “terminate” wild animals rescued by civilians.

PolAgnostic on August 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM

…our neighborhood has raised several orphan fawns over the years…the first one stayed in the area for years and years…it took the other deer in the area a while to accept her… she would regularly have two fawns…and a couple of times three fawns…who would play in the distance…as she came to the door for milk and “treats”.

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I heard Rush’s Grandfather today. I think I would have been happier in those times.

wolly4321 on August 1, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Prez Barry……” I’m not pee’n on your freedom & liberty… it’s rain’n”

roflmmfao

donabernathy on August 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM

This has nothing to do with NSA surveillance. Apparently the guy left an employer in April. The employer apparently noticed the searches in the search cache of his work computer and informed police. Your employer DOES have the right to watch every single thing you do with your work computer.

crosspatch on August 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

But we can be assured they would never go into any of America’s mosks.

slickwillie2001 on August 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM

We watch a lot of cooking shows around here and just before the Boston situation went down, I was seriously thinking about getting a pressure cooker to try to learn how to work with it. Now I’m too scared to search that phrase on Amazon. On one hand, that feels really paranoid and stupid, on the other hand, see the aforementioned story.

I wouldn’t want to be a pressure cooker manufacturer these days.

GeeWhiz on August 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM

No warrant , no entry.

Bmore on August 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

This. They aren’t coming in my home without a search warrant.

conservative pilgrim on August 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM

katy the mean old lady on August 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Perfect! Lol! ; )

Bmore on August 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Name one time?

I don’t buy the 99 out of 100 bit. It’s probably closer to never out of tens of thousands.

And even if it is 1%, are we OK with 99 random searches, sans warrant, of people googling rather normal news stuff? Are they showing up at CNN because their website featured the offending words hundreds of times since April?

It’s carte blanche for the authorities and turns us all into informants. We’ll eventually turn on each other like in that Twilight Zone episode.

mankai on August 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM

KCB on August 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

How about a presumption of innocence then?

mankai on August 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM

katy the mean old lady on August 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

D*mm straight, and then immediately call a defense attorney.

Never, ever answer any questions without an attorney present.

GrannyDee on August 1, 2013 at 11:23 PM

They missed the Djoker brothers.

With Russian warnings.

This is the old “Let’s do the job too late as an exercise in pre-emptive CYA for the next p.c.-based failure ” B.S.

No warrant, no peeks.

profitsbeard on August 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Say WHAT??!

They refuse to investigate muzzies like the Tsarnaevs. They only like to hassle Americans for NO REASON – no, looking up pressure cooker bombs and/or backpacks is not reasonable suspicion of ANYTHING.

WTFFF??

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM

No warrant , no entry.

Bmore on August 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

That was my first thought as well.

riddick on August 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Wallythedog on August 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Of all the knee-jerk idiocy on the thread, this has to be the most idiotic. It isn’t even in the realm of reality.

This one is a runner up, though:

Yeah, how many morons buy that?

astonerii on August 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

The initial report said it was the “Feds,” and it turns out it was local LEO’s. Do you deny that, too?

JannyMae on August 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Given my eclectic internet readings, I’m surprised that I haven’t been ‘visited’ by a whole battalion of FBI SWAT.

But at least I’ve never ‘googled’ anything about pressure cookers.

LegendHasIt on August 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM

JannyMae on August 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM

What difference does that make? It was a bunch of cops of some sort (my local LEO don’t have any unmarked black SUVs and they certainly don’t have six extra guys to go run around hassling people) who were investigating someone for no crime but because he was reported by some douchebag for doing nothing. NOTHING.

What idiotic point do you think you are making, anyway. Just spit it out.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Pure hokum.

Wonder if you’d get in trouble for Googling something like, “How does a Mauser magically turn into a Mannlicher-Carcano?”

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Report: Blogger gets visit from cops for Googling “[PC's]” and “backpacks?”

Pure hokum.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Last week on one of those weekend cooking shows on PBA they did evaluations on six or eight different models of the ‘PC’ things. Hilarious.

slickwillie2001 on August 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM

But at least I’ve never ‘googled’ anything about pressure cookers.

LegendHasIt on August 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I was initially worried when my wife (a librarian) said she checked out “Alinsky’s Rules For Radicals” to see what that was all about.
But it immediately hit me that since that’s the Dem’s/libtard’s bible – I really don’t have to worry about SWAT teams coming to the house over that one.

For the record – my wife says it’s scary as shiite to see what the Dems are doing and see it written word for word in that book.

dentarthurdent on August 2, 2013 at 1:24 AM

…..But it immediately hit me that since that’s the Dem’s/libtard’s bible – I really don’t have to worry about SWAT teams coming to the house over that one…….
dentarthurdent on August 2, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Maybe you do need to worry about a visit…
A recruiting visit from the DNC. They may want you to run for Senate.

LegendHasIt on August 2, 2013 at 1:38 AM

We’ve already decided. Go to any comments section in any major media outlet with an NSA-related story and the popular outrage is clear. The State has made clear what it’s position is, and that is, nothing will change. Next move is ours.

And there is no “tradeoff” here. That’s a false premise. As if by sacrificing Liberty, We the People are gaining peace and security. We gain noting by this. It’s the State that gains by making itself secure in it’s dominance over us.

Read the whole thing because she’s a good writer…

Ha! For once I’ll restrain myself.

sartana on August 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

slickwillie2001 on August 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Right up there with ruminating over the different kinds of underwear, shoes, clear liquids and box cutters.

I can’t believe that our society is really so ignorant as to buy this hogwash they’re selling us. Polls show most don’t trust the LSM, but yet buy at face value every government-generated fairy tale that comes their way.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I’m surprised how calmly people here are taking this. It really doesn’t matter whether people demand a warrant or not. This is not criminal profiling, it’s a police panic.

If the local police are busy doing this type of thing all week, then at the very least: they’re not doing what they should be doing. A terrorist will not stay up late at work to plan his bombing. He’ll do it from home. So the only result is that regular people are being harassed.

100 times a week?!?!?!!? are they serious? let’s say they work 24/7 – so they visit 14 people a day? do they even have time for actual crimes or are they just visiting people who googled ‘pressure cooker’ all day?

Second, from the blogger’s article,it’s not clear at all that her personal google searches were not part of the reason for the police showing up.

Phoenician on August 2, 2013 at 4:07 AM

DONT let them in!

TX-96 on August 2, 2013 at 6:07 AM

JannyMae on August 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I do not deny that the employer told them it was the guy, I just think it was after the feds came knocking on the door asking for the computer.
I also do not deny that it was the local cops who did the dirty work. How exactly do you keep a secret a secret? Precisely!

astonerii on August 2, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I am sure if you google that all at once, there will be a drone armed with a hellfire missile circling over your house compound within the hour. I do all my searches for pressure cookers crock pots from my home computer. Oh sh*t, I have Verizon Fios, so I am sure I’m being monitored.

RandallinHerndon on August 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Use the Tor Project and other onion browsers. You morons that blindly follow and use Google or yahoo, or the others, can easily protect yourselves.

MoreLiberty on August 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Let the cops in for a fishing expedition? I don’t think so! Answer questions without my lawyer present? No way!

You give me a warrant, and I want my lawyer. Until then, I don’t even give you my name.

Now, get your damn SUV off of my driveway. You’re trespassing on private property.

gajaw999 on August 2, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Catalano is a batshite crazy obama supporter and prog. Screw her. She also lied about why the cops paid her and her husband a visit.

Blake on August 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM

She should have thrown Barry’s name around. LOL!

Blake on August 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Local LEOs have black SUVs??? Maybe those black helcopters aren’t just UN??

One the serious side, I would have wanted to say no, but that many law enforcement personel would be quite intimidating.

TerryW on August 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I was thinking more on the saying no answer.

The next visit would not be knock on the door. The door would be smashed down with a full squad of an eager SWAT team. They would then shoot your dog. Oh. “And here’s the search warrant.”

TerryW on August 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I would suggest that the “hundred times a week” comment was probably an off- handed line meant to reassure the Catalanos that it really was just a matter of routine, not a literal estimate of the number of actual knock and talks. I would be surprised if they made a hundred such contacts in a month, even in the NYC area.

Dukeboy01 on August 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I woke up this week in East Germany

long_cat on August 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM

you know I liked this country better without the internet.

unseen on August 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Yep. I understand the sentiment. I still love my country. I’ve lost respect for those occupying her seats of government and how they’ve distorted their roles. I’m saddened by what has happened to our society. Civility has given way to thugery. Multiculturalism has replaced unity.

Cops had to do a bit more due diligence than read a computer generated alert.

Also, not every Tom, Dick, and Harry was an expert on everything because they didn’t have Google and Wiki.

freedomfirst on August 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM

NEVER, EVER LET THEM IN THE HOUSE.
You open the door, step out and close it behind you.
they always do the trick of
i smelled something
i heard something
i saw something suspicious.

or you keep a closed screen door (LOCKED) and talk to them through it.

sniffles1999 on August 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM

This is why everyone who is upset, better vote OUT all dems in 2014. They are using laws created to fight terrorism to violate our constitutional rights so they can stay in power.

sniffles1999 on August 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Mary Katherine: We’re not comfortable with them.

Alana on August 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM

No warrant , no entry.

Bmore on August 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Bingo. You decide my copy of a DVD/Game isn’t legal, or see something that isn’t up to code, or question my possession of 15 knives in my kitchen, or any of thousands of absurd, vague, poorly written laws and regulations and I find myself carted off to jail for letting you in my home.

You want in, you get a warrant clearly stating what you’re searching for… and that (and nothing else) is admissible in charges against me.

If you want to go fishing, there’s a lake a couple miles away. You don’t need to have a fishing expedition in my house.

gekkobear on August 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM