IRS chief: I’d rather keep my current health insurance than move to ObamaCare’s exchanges

posted at 3:01 pm on August 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Democratic appointee cuts campaign ad for GOP.”

In fairness, he’s making a simple point. If you like your plan and you can keep your plan — and not everyone can — why wouldn’t you? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Which is fine, but … probably not the message the White House wants coming from top government officials at a moment when they’re desperate to drum up public interest in the exchanges. What this guy “should” have said is, “Yes! I’m excited to explore the exchanges in hopes of getting an even better deal on health insurance than I have now!” Instead: Meh. And this is the guy, mind you, who’s in charge of enforcing compliance with the individual mandate. Memo to the GOP: Why not add a provision to that Cornyn/Johnson proposal to defund the IRS’s ObamaCare office that would dump agency employees onto the exchanges, just like so many private-sector employees? Consider it a “thank you” present for targeting conservative nonprofits. Now the IRS too can experience universal health care in all its glory.

By the way, if I’m not mistaken, the IRS is not part of the current ObamaCare-related clusterfark on the Hill that has congressional staff worried they’ll be dumped on the exchanges with no insurance subsidies from the federal government. That’ll cost them thousands of extra dollars per year, which risks a brain drain among staffers. The One himself has promised to intervene in order to keep those subsidies flowing, and no doubt he will, whether or not he has legal authority to order it. As we know by now, he’s not going to let a technicality like that stop him from Doing Good.

Comments

Health care for me, scraps for thee.

Red Cloud on August 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Then, when the time comes, do not enforce it onto others!

dom89031 on August 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM

The road to Hell.

We have a president that does whatever the Fluke he wants, and a media that condones it. Something is giving to give at some point and it is not going to be pretty.

NotCoach on August 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

A Republican congressman should immediately introduce a bill mandating that all IRS employees use the government-run exchanges. It’s only fair, seeing as they are the ones tasked with enforcing this mess.

CurtZHP on August 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Something is giving to give at some point and it is not going to be pretty.

NotCoach on August 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Something is going to give at some point and it is not going to be pretty.

Post in haste, repent at leisure.

NotCoach on August 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM

How exactly does Obama do that though? Not that I’m saying he won’t try, but he can’t give out subsidies via executive order.

Doughboy on August 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I hope he gets an audit.

Flange on August 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I’m sure if I said what I initially thought, I’d be banned.

vityas on August 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

But he can, right? I mean, he likes it, so he gets to keep it. The President said so.
What am I missing here?

questionmark on August 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I liked him better when he played for the Gators.

faraway on August 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

“I’d rather keep my current health insurance than move to ObamaCare’s exchanges”

So would I…

Seven Percent Solution on August 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

AP – How about a palate cleanser after the oversupply of D.C. today?

Marine Helps Boy Finish Race, Melts Our Hearts

Lance Cpl. Myles Kerr may have lost the Jeff Drenth Memorial 5K footrace in Charlevoix, Michigan, last weekend, but he won the hearts of hundreds of thousands of admirers.

On Saturday, the 19-year-old Marine noticed 9-year-old Boden Fuchs struggling to complete the race. The boy had become separated from his group. According to the Facebook page, Seal of Honor, which posted a photograph of the pair running together, Boden asked Kerr, “Sir, will you please run with me?” Kerr, wearing boots and fatigues, and carrying a full backpack, stuck with the boy, encouraged him to complete the race, and helped him reunite with his party at the end of the course—even though Kerr was dead last in his age group, clocking in at 35:43 minutes (five seconds behind Boden). He came in so much later than his Marine buddies, in fact, that they were concerned he had been injured.

The photo has received more than 200,000 likes and been shared nearly 10,000 times.

The Seal of Honor page—which was established in the memory of Lt. Michael Murphy, who served as a Navy SEAL in Afghanistan—went on to praise the young man: “By his unwavering commitment to help those in need through his ability to inspire others by his unequivocal level of motivation, Lcpl Kerr reflected great credit upon himself and was keeping in the highest traditions of the United States Marine Corps.”

PolAgnostic on August 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

The Limbaugh Theorem is spreading.

HornetSting on August 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Congress exempted only itself from the Obamacare clusterfark. Obama just decides who has to comply being the dictator criminal he is. They should all be prosecuted under the RICO act and sent to jail. I am sick of all of them.

cajunpatriot on August 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM

There is going to come a point where everyone under the law simply disregards it and just lives their lives. New laws will be passed, but no one will care because they will be unenforceable.

Obamacare is the the start of that IMO.

Gatsu on August 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

If he likes his doctor, he can keep his doctor.

Ward Cleaver on August 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I liked him better when he played for the Gators.

faraway on August 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Good one!

Ward Cleaver on August 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Let me be clear. No one in Washington, D.C. wants Obamacare for themselves. If you haven’t figured that out yet, you’re not paying attention.

I’ll leave you to speculate why that might be, how people outside of Washington, D.C. should feel about that, and what they should do.

Chris of Rights on August 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I think all government employees should be getting their health care through the exchanges ALL OF THEM no matter the pay grade. Congress must be forced to live with it at minimum. Especially democrat congressmen since they all voted for it. For us.

DanMan on August 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM

And yet Bush was Hitler.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Werful replaced by Lois Lerner in 3 … 2 … 1 …

Carnac on August 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Obamacare is the the start of that IMO.

Gatsu on August 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

It’s going to be a riot when black market doctors roll around town like Huggy Bear isn’t it? Work outside of the system for cash only. Looking good for that isn’t it?

Medical license? I don’t need no stinking medical license!

DanMan on August 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM

In fairness

Just to be fair

… Why so many articles on Hot Air contain these stupid words…

mnjg on August 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM

The Limbaugh Theorem is spreading.

HornetSting on August 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Rush celebrated the first day of his 26th year today. I should see if any heads are exploding over that milestone over at Daily Kosmonaut.

Wow, only 6 comments.

Del Dolemonte on August 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM

And this is the guy, mind you, who’s in charge of selectively enforcing compliance with the individual mandate.

Sorry Allah, but it’s only fair to highlight O’s signature fundamental transformation of how our new post constitutional government works.

antipc on August 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM

DanMan on August 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Real medicine performed in back alleys while abortions are performed on main street. Truly is bizarro world.

Flange on August 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Well Grand Old Party, where is the TV ad? You have had a couple of hours to make it, this isn’t rocket science.

Nevermind, I forgot who I was talking about…….

D-fusit on August 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM

In fairness

Just to be fair

… Why so many articles on Hot Air contain these stupid words…

mnjg on August 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM

“Just to be fair” doesn’t appear in the OP. What articles have you so vexed? Please link to three or more, and expand on why you think these are “stupid words”.

RushBaby on August 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

This turkey, the new thug of the IRS, same as the old one, just sent the congressional committee reams of papers, a foot high, all in black, redacted 100%, not one word is legible.

Why are the leftist hypocritical pigs, the greenies, not opposed to killing all those trees?…aside from the fact that obstruction to congress is illegal.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Alternate headline: “Democratic appointee cuts campaign ad for GOP.”

If only….

You assume that the GOP can actually recognize such a gift when it’s handed them, all wrapped up with a ribbon on top.

Alas, they never fail to fail.

UltimateBob on August 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

And so it begins – the calls for National Socialized healthcare:

Liberal Activist: ‘Thousands of People Will Die Every Year’ Under Obamacare
(CNSNews.com) – “Thousands of people will die every year” and “costs will continue to go out of control” under Obamacare, says Public Citizen President Robert Weissman.

The only solution is to nationalize health care through a single-payer system, Reps. John Conyers (D-Mich.) and Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Public Citizen argued outside the U.S. Capitol Wednesday.

What better way to fix a government clusterfark than with an even BIGGER government clusterfark?

Galt2009 on August 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Alas, they never fail to fail.

UltimateBob on August 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

So many flowers on top of the grave

faraway on August 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Every Senator and Congressional Representative who voted for Obamacare needs to be VOTED OUT OF OFFICE in 2014!

Find out how your Representatives voted on Obamacare and then tell ALL of your neighbors.

Clean the House and the Senate in 2014!

wren on August 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I want to keep the Constitution I used to have…..

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Well dear, I wanted to keep my very affordable high deductible major medical plan with an HCA that payed for the occasional office visit every 3 or 4 years, glasses, and the kids braces.

2nd Ammendment Mother on August 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

The road to Hell.

NotCoach on August 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

No, it’s not. I’d put my money on the race riots first.

kim roy on August 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

It is so much more dire.

When the senate debated the obama’care’ fiasco, Sen. Grassly inserted an amendment to force the senate/Congress and their staff to have to live under the same obama’care’ they impose on the rest of the people.

They voted it through, with not one R vote.

Yesterday the Platinum-sprayed Horseturd of the Land went to meet with the other thuggish fools, the Ds in Congress. McCain showed up, being lost, I guess, if you believe in coincidences.

The first item on their agenda was to tell him to ask Nurse Ratched, aka Sibelius, to put in effect a rule which exempts the Congress/senate and their staff from obama’care’.

It’s as if you ask the owners to install special keys/locks for the robbers and make them pay for them.

The ones who’re supposed to serve us get 75% of their healthcare paid by the taxpayers, aka “the gov’t”. They threatened to leave the Congress/senate, if he’s not addressing.

Expect the Oaf in Chief and thug extraordinaire, shameless hacks and all, to release the change on a Friday, under cover, while on vacation, bef. Oct. 1, 2013, when the law goes into effect.

The thuggish IRS chief wants the same, but the employers/employees of the land suffer dire consequences for the same.

Wake up America, or send them all to the hottest layer in Hades. They destroy you, and you’re out shopping.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Wasn’t that guy in Goodfellas?

Sherman1864 on August 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

No, it’s not. I’d put my money on the race riots first.

kim roy on August 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Wouldn’t that be an ugly something giving?

NotCoach on August 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM

OT – the soldiers of yore would have executed the request efforts and the traitors, alas…times have changed.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM

No, it’s not. I’d put my money on the race riots first.

kim roy on August 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

It’s not like it’s not all interconnected. Obama is a race pimp, and the media condones and promotes that as well.

NotCoach on August 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM

2nd Ammendment Mother on August 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Me too. I’ve wanted to try that the last few years but hesitated because of 0care. I may start looking at concierge service. I’ve already seen an ad in my mailbox that offered home and office visits as well as other services for a flat monthly fee. Of course, lab and hospital fees not included.
And that stupid cap on health savings accounts is another tax increase. I’ve been fuming over that.

freedomfirst on August 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM

So, Yeah, They Are Collecting And Reviewing More Than Just Your ‘Metadata’

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Not surprised. Thanks Sophie!

KCB on August 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

If he likes an anal pounding sans Vaseline, he gets to keep it.

hillsoftx on August 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I’m aware this means nothing, but it was nice seeing Werfel getting slapped around a bit in this hearing. It’s like smacking ‘bambi by proxy.

freedomfirst on August 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM

In fairness

Just to be fair

… Why so many articles on Hot Air contain these stupid words…

mnjg on August 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM

It is the reason I come here–some balance and a peek at what a true contrarian and open-minded reader may be thinking…

hillsoftx on August 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Wouldn’t that be an ugly something giving?

NotCoach on August 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I stand corrected. :)

kim roy on August 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM

If only….

Alas, they never fail to fail.

UltimateBob on August 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

They won’t do a damn thing with it. They want 0bamacare just as badly as 0bama. They just think they can manage it better.

CurtZHP on August 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM

CurtZHP on August 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Thread winner.

Hey Congress…

beatcanvas on August 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Senator Tom Coburn did the same thing back in 2009.

I couldn’t agree more with the rest of your statements. (btw,I always enjoy your comments.)

avagreen on August 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM

That commercial should include me (or people like me) who can read the letter recv’d from Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA saying that my current plan will not be offered again next year because of Obamacare. Ironically Obamacare likely will incentivize me to become a “free-rider” on the insurance market for the first time in 34 years.

John E. on August 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM

avagreen on August 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Thank you for the Coburn note. Had no idea.

Thanks on the latter too. I don’t always say it but I enjoy many comments on HA and only get annoyed by the extreme trolls’.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM

PolAgnostic on August 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Thank you for sharing. I have been lacking in the vitamin of American pride lately. God bless that marine.

jazzuscounty on August 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM

He’s already crunched the numbers and knows he’s about to be screwed.

GarandFan on August 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

“seperate but equal” healthcare, pensions, investment rules, taxes and regulations.

They are truly our masters and we are their serfs.

acyl72 on August 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

They are truly our masters and we are their serfs.

acyl72 on August 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Congressman Crow laws!

slickwillie2001 on August 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Tired of the progressive tyrants name calling class acts like Ted Cruz as a Taliban/terrorist and then here we have this stupid, arrogant, scum. This tool needs to stand beside Lois Lerner as they’re both convicted of sedition and treason and then both need to have their necks stretched.
It’s what they see coming and they fear it. It’s what makes them so dangerous to the American people. Disarm, then defund the I.R.S. now.

onomo on August 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM

All federal civilian employees, including members of Congress, the Executive Branch, and the Supreme Court, should be required to get their insurance from the exchanges. Subsidies should apply according to their income, as per law.

The fines the government would have to pay to itself would probably still result in a net savings over paying for current health care plans.

I’m not sure why anyone in Congress or on staff would complain about this. After all, the insurance is, by definition, “affordable”.

malclave on August 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

What a sad joke this govt is.

WisCon on August 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Isn’t it amazing how out of touch these guys who reside in Washinton DC are? What he said merits a big “DUH!!!” and a slap up beside the head.

Vince on August 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM