Christie: Hey, I don’t have time to have a beer with Rand Paul right now

posted at 11:01 am on August 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

I don’t get it. Why wouldn’t a guy running for reelection in a deeply Democratic state want a photo op with one of the GOP’s most right-wing members?

This ain’t over:

“I’m running for re-election in New Jersey. I don’t really have time for that at the moment,” Christie said. “If I find myself in Washington, I’ll certainly look him up, but I don’t suspect I’ll be there anytime soon.”…

“I don’t know why Senator Paul is so out of whack about this,” Christie said tonight. “At the end of the day I never called him any names, yet he called me names. I didn’t use any childish type phrases like gimme, gimme, gimme, he did. I just have to assume from that that he’s just trying to get attention. That’s fine. He’s not the first politician who’s used me to try to get attention in the national media and I’m sure he won’t be the last.”

Always ready to mix it up, Christie has labeled his detractors all sort of colorful names. Last night, he said he’s “not offended by Senator Paul calling me names.”

“I think it’s juvenile, but I’m not offended by it,” he said.

He never called Paul any names, but he did call his philosophy “very dangerous” and an affront to the victims of 9/11. Would you rather have that be said about you or be called the “king of bacon”?

I understand why Christie isn’t ready for this feud to end. I don’t understand why Paul is. There are few ways these days to endear yourself to grassroots conservatives more effectively than by picking a fight with the guy they regard as King RINO. (Actually, McCain’s King RINO, but Rand’s already squabbled with him. And Christie’s a prince at least.) Maybe he’s worried that an early attack from a prominent rival on his national-security cred will damage him by shaping voters’ perceptions before Paul’s had a chance to define himself. Seems more likely, though, that Christie’s damaging himself by defining his own image as ardently, intractably anti-libertarian, which ain’t a smart move given the base’s drift towards Paul’s position on NSA surveillance. Other party-watchers appear to agree:

In early-state New Hampshire, the conservative editorial page of the influential Union Leader newspaper mocked Christie’s dismissive view of the surveillance debate, writing that “the entirety of Christie’s argument” was “9/11!”…

“This strikes me as one of his gut-reaction, classic Chris Christie moments. ‘Oh yeah? Well, you don’t talk that way in New Jersey, buddy, because in New Jersey we see it this way.’ And that’s great if you’re governor of New Jersey and you’re going to stay governor of New Jersey,” [Union Leader editorial editor Drew] Cline said. “But this is a guy who apparently aspires to the highest office in the land. To come across as being unfamiliar with the very concept that the Constitution protects citizens from having their rights trampled on by the state is not going to play well nationally in a Republican primary.”

New Hampshire-based strategist David Carney, a senior adviser to Rick Perry’s 2012 presidential campaign, said it was easy to call the winner of this bout: “Round one: Rand.”

“There is a real libertarian bent to the GOP and many other voting groups – not in the Ron Paul class, but being fed up with big government in general. Real Republicans and most Americans are willing to discuss the role of America in the world and for limits or at least adjustments,” Carney said.

You can win the 2016 nomination running as someone who’s less libertarian than Paul. (In fact, the eventual nominee almost certainly will be.) I don’t know if you can win it running as someone who’s contemptuous of libertarianism as a “very dangerous thought.” Like I’ve said before, that’s not just a philosophical difference, it’s an electability issue: The nominee will need some Paul sympathizers to hold their noses and vote for him against the Democrat. Hardcore libertarians will stay home if Paul doesn’t win the nomination, but not all people who agree with key parts of Paul’s platform are hardcore. They’re gettable in theory — provided you don’t imply that they’re nuts for worrying about the direction of the surveillance state. This is why I think Rubio/Walker/Ryan are the real winners in all this ultimately. They’ll be more hawkish than Paul but way, way less antagonistic towards his supporters than Christie is. They can play him and Christie off each other as both being too extreme in their respective ways.

Exit question: In the Politico piece excerpted, they suggest that Paul’s happy to have this fight because he “knows he must clear the commander-in-chief test.” How does this help him do that? The knock on libertarians isn’t that they’re afraid to stand up to their political enemies; on the contrary, judging from the commentary I read online, there’s nothing that makes them happier than brawling with big-government Republicans. To credit Paul for showing nerve in taking on Christie (especially when he knows that most of the base is on his side) is like crediting Ron Paul with nerve for dumping on Ben Bernanke. That’s … what libertarians do. The fear among hawks isn’t that Paul is too much of a “wimp” or whatever to use U.S. military assets when necessary. It’s that, because of his foreign policy views, he’ll reflexively deem it unnecessary in every circumstance, whether the facts support that view or not. I’m sure Rand would say (and probably has said) that he would have ordered the raid on Bin Laden’s compound too. Would he have, though? Is a serious breach of Pakistan’s national sovereignty involving U.S. boots on the ground something you’d expect a libertarian pol to embrace? The answer isn’t a function of cowardice or “wimpiness,” it’s a function of ideology. He’s not a wimp, he’s a Paul. That’s what GOP voters who are otherwise well disposed to him will wrestle with in two years.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Used to like you, Christie, before you showed your true colors. Guess that’s a lesson for me in waiting to form judgments. You’re another “Republican” who should just switch to your true party.

blackgriffin on August 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Beer and bacon. Two great tastes that go great together.

Wino on August 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Then go the Cheesecake Factory with Obama then.

mwbri on August 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Christie: Hey, I don’t have time to have a beer with Rand Paul right now

What about a diet Coke?

Bruno Strozek on August 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Christie, just a a younger, fatter version of McCain.

Wallythedog on August 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM

This ain’t over:

Correct. You just earned yourself another chop .

Bmore on August 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Isn’t this the guy that takes the helicopter everywhere?

aryeung on August 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Why do we keep talking about this guy? He plays for the other team. The only thing missing is the blue uniform with a “D” on the chest.

freedomfirst on August 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I would vote for Hillary over Obama’s fat puppet.

kevinkristy on August 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Oh, but I’d bet he’s got time for a doughnut or two. Or three.

Cleombrotus on August 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I would vote for Hillary over Obama’s fat puppet.

kevinkristy on August 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Interesting. I’d be tempted….but I’d probably stay home and watch something not including the election night returns.

freedomfirst on August 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Hmm, I wonder who he could be talking about? I don’t know, Satan obozo maybe?

Flange on August 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Oh, but I’d bet he’s got time for a doughnut or two. Or three.

Cleombrotus on August 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

And he had time to start this stupid squabble – which helps him get elected how, I don’t know.

aryeung on August 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM

OT, or on…it’s all the same any more.

This is in the news, right now.

Yesterday the Platinum-sprayed Horseturd of the Land went to meet with the other thuggish fools, the Ds in Congress. The first item on their agenda was to tell him to ask Nurse Ratched, aka Sibelius, to put in effect a rule which exempts the Congress and their staff from obama’care’.

It’s as if you ask the owners to install special keys/locks for the robbers and make them pay for them.

The ones who’re supposed to serve us get 75% of their healthcare paid by the taxpayers. They threatened to leave the Congress, if he’s not addressing. Sen. Grassly made sure that the senate/House and oaf and staff are not exempted from the disaster they impose on the ones who sustain them, with their hard labor.

Expect the Oaf in Chief and thug extraordinaire, shameless hacks and all, to release the change on a Friday, under cover, while on vacation, bef. Oct. 1, 2013, when the law goes into effect.

Who cares if they’d leave. May you all die a slow and painful death, you harlots of the world and mafiosos, like no other. You deserve total destruction.

May they all go directly to Hell, and burn, slowly, in the coldest layer, until we see drippings.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Governor Zeppelin’s ego is just as overblown as he is.

kingsjester on August 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

You had time to pal around with the rat-eared coward and switch your endorsement on the eve of a national election. I don’t know why Paul would even want to sit down and have a beer with you. That’s something you do with friends or people that you can at least have civil conversation. All you do is yell at people and throw hissy fits over recovery funds necessary to rebuild the beach houses for a bunch of rich people who have contributed to your campaign.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Christie has as much grace as his pal, the platinum-sprayed horse-turd, obama.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Yeah, in a way, it’s good Rand messed with him. Really completes the image of Christie.

Dongemaharu on August 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

If he was that busy his fat ass wouldn’t need lap band.

Kaptain Amerika on August 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I’m not sure it’s cold down there.

Cleombrotus on August 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

You can even win the nomination being a complete RINO fud, doesn’t mean you can win the election though.

Nominate Christie and I rip off the top half of the ballot and toss it away, plain and simple.

Bishop on August 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

For what it’s worth, this is what Senator Paul issued after the Bin Laden raid:

Sen. Paul Statement on Death of Osama bin Laden

May 2, 2011
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Upon news reports of the death of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden this evening, Sen. Rand Paul issued the following statement:

“I commend our troops, the intelligence community, and the military leaders involved in both the administrations of Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama for their perseverance and courage in pursuit of this most grievous enemy of the United States of America.”

Link is here

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on August 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

freedomfirst on August 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

After voting for Palin (technically it was a vote for McCain, but hey) in 2008, I went home, and knowing full-well what the results would be, put on “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.”

Stoic Patriot on August 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Rand, if he is too much of a punk to get on the Amtrak and head down to DC on a Saturday, maybe you should take some time during the recess to go up to Jersey (just make sure you bring your gas mask) and have this out face-to-face.

Maybe at his debates. Or maybe at some GOP events. I’m sure he would appreciate the fact that you made the trip.

And then you can go in front of those 9/11 widows, and explain why, even in their worst moment of grief, you’re sure they wouldn’t want this nation to sell out their liberties.

And invite Gov Bag ‘o’ Donuts to explain to them why he wants to bankrupt the country while doing just that…

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

He’s having a Zima with Barry instead.

CurtZHP on August 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM

“I’m really busy, don’t have time for anything these da–”

“–Barry called. He wants you to walk his dog.”

“Oh my God! Tell him I’ll be right there!”

Rational Thought on August 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

aryeung on August 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Reminds me of Cory Booker. Face time on the telly is more important than doing your job.

Cleombrotus on August 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Tags: beer, Chris Christie, Kentucky, libertarian, New Jersey, pork, bacon, Rand Paul, republican, spending

Bmore on August 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Christie is a leftist alright. Totally lacking in class.

birdwatcher on August 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Bishop on August 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

But…But…But…… Haven’t you heard all those left-leaning pundit lectures on how the GOP needs the fat bastard far more than he needs them? That Christie is a moderate beacon of hope among the crazy birds like Paul and Cruz? Dare I even use the “E” word to describe him? (Electable).

Should he run for President as a Republican I am certain he will be endorsed in the primaries by the WaPo and NYT. And promptly discarded for Hillary or whatever in the general.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Quick photoshop of Christie on a “game of thrones” style Bacon Throne.

Enjoy. :)

Irritable Pundit on August 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Christie is eating up more than just any remaining goodwill on the right.

/get it?

vinman on August 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Now lemme get this straight:
♫♪ You put the lime in the coconut and … ♫♪
(sorry, Harry Nilsson, wrong tune – or is it?)
Kwiss Kwistie, the corpulent, insufferable media whöre, is accusing a REAL man of principles for being factual? Izzat wight?
Governor Christie is way out of his league as he sucks up to any Leftist pol, especially the despicable, lying, poser-in-chief, just to waste our time and tax dollars on yet another unfulfilled promise made by Dear Leader in a photo-op.
Christie has “more important things to do” … Really? Like what?
Making sure that the “Real Housewives of New Joisy” get a pass from the Court? Make no mistake, a pardon is already in the works.
What a buffoon. Just go away, Porky. All I want to hear from you is:
♫♪ Uh thee, uh thee, uh thee that’s all folks! ♫♪

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I think his head is getting to big. Mr. Anti-fracking.

Oil Can on August 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM

“I’m really busy, don’t have time for anything these da–”

“–Barry called. He wants you to walk his dog.”

“Oh my God! Tell him I’ll be right there!”

Rational Thought on August 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

You spelled “wok” wrong.

Wino on August 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I remember the New Jersey Devils hockey game against the Boston Bruins on may 6 1988. The coach of the Devils was angry with referee Don Koharski and said to the ref, “Have another doughnut you fat pig!” I just think of that incident when I see photos of Gov. Christie.

birdwatcher on August 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Bishop on August 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Amen, Brother!
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Christie slobbering up to obama during Sandy made him poison to me.

sandee on August 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Paul is probably the smartest politician since Reagan. I’m really impressed with him so far.

Punchenko on August 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM

You can win the 2016 nomination running as someone who’s less libertarian than Paul. (In fact, the eventual nominee almost certainly will be.) -AP

So AP is automatically disqualifying Rand Paul from being the eventual nominee in a post that is only being written because Rand Paul and Chris Christie both are potential nominees.

AP has been making throw away comments similar to this about Rand for months.

I wish AP would just put all of his opinions on the table instead of these borderline passive aggressive attacks on Rand Paul.

I am usually in agreement with most of what AP says and truly enjoy his posts, but these little pokes at Rand are getting tiresome.

It’s easy to see AP is not a Rand Paul fan and doesn’t think he should be the nominee. I’m just looking for a little honesty about AP’s dislike of Rand Paul in these posts.

I for one am not taking for granted that Rand Paul will not be the eventual nominee. I am really looking forward to what he will add to the debates. Let us not disqualify him at this point.

A GOP Primary debate with Rick Perry, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, and Chris Christie would put all the cards on the table and really force the GOP to choose a direction moving forward. I would hope it would be a move toward Cruz and Paul.

weaselyone on August 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Really AP? Thats worth a post?

Valkyriepundit on August 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Rand’s my guy, but he let Christie turn this around pretty quick.

I get the rope-a-dope.

Paul’s concerned if he keeps tagging Christie, the Christie Dems – the money and media people – are going to want to take Rand out during the mid-terms, by going after whoever he supports.

If they can weaken his GOP structure, he’ll be isolated like his dad was.

So Paul backs down to play nice with the other people, and Christie knows it so he’s not letting him off the hook.

Rand can’t go to the “comity my friends” line now.

He’s highlighted the divide.

McCain is now in the process of wading ta-ta’s deep into the fight.

No turning back.

budfox on August 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

No concern about actual governance there buddy? Wouldn’t want to draw any attention to that as you campaign for re-election. Republicans might get the feeling that you aren’t governing in a conservative fashion.

I don’t buy the re-election BS either. His approvals are solid and he could probably win re-election without putting out a single campaign ad or speech. He is scared of sitting down with Rand Paul and being shredded.

weaselyone on August 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM

AP said:

Aren’t you forgetting somebody?

Jon0815 on August 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Do you GOP loyalists ever wonder why you NEVER see Dems attack each other in similar fashion?

Why is it every month there is some GOP tool attacking a conservative member of the party? Who is really controlling the GOP?

Fck the GOP and if any of you on here vote for the GOP because that is just what you have always done then you are no better than the low-info obama lovers.

ClassicCon on August 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM

weaselyone on August 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM

That’s just it! The GOP needs to choose a direction. And I would hope it sweeps out Quislings like Boehner who do their best to undermine any position but that mandated by the establishment political class. I heard that Boehner is even working behind the scenes to derail any sort of attempt to defund Obamacare.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

See you’re playing into a short sighted trap. Paul can score some early points easily with the grassroots but in the long run this refusal by Christie only reinforces a narrative about him being a petty self-promoter that puts his own individual ambitions above the party and the country. The Obama Sandy photo-op right before the election and that dreadful self indulgent convention speech in which he never even mentioned Mitt Romney.

OliverB on August 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Yawn.

oryguncon on August 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Christie: “Its a Joisey thing!”

oryguncon on August 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I’m not sure it’s cold down there.

Cleombrotus on August 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I explained it, clearly. It’s hot, but I want them to burn slowly and painfully…read again.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Christie: “No time to drink beer…but if you wanna talk while I consume an entire lamb, I’ll consider that.”

Pale Rider on August 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Bishop on August 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Indeed. 2012 was the last time we were insulted, by the R/Ds.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Rand Paul played this perfectly. Rand doesn’t want to come off as so abrasive as to marginalize himself within the party, as Ron Paul did in many ways. I think Rand’s goal is to pick up Ron Paul’s energy and loyal following, but at the same time be seen as mainstream enough to be taken seriously by more centrist elements in the party.

So what does Rand do? He takes Christie to task, makes his point, then extends an olive branch to say “hey, we disagree on some policy issues, but he’s a fellow Republican.” Overall, this is effective in my book.

Outlander on August 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM

And Christie’s comments here have pretty much cemented the judgment that holding my nose for Christie is not in the cards. The guy’s got three modes — Me, Myself, and I — and will attack anyone or anything that doesn’t comport with that.

I was surprised by Rand offering the truce yesterday and a little disappointed, at first. But it showed a mature and statesmanlike composure, and one that Christie most obvious lacks. It also showed not only that he is aware of who the teams are but also what the ultimate goals are and what teams are for, qualities, again, lacking in Christie.

Dusty on August 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Christie: The Fat and The Furious

faraway on August 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I think you answered your own question, AP. By offering a truce, Paul puts Christie in the position of either doing a photo op with someone who might hurt his reelection chances, or of alienating the rest of the GOP. Either choice hurts his reelection chances, since he’ll need both independents and high GOP turnout to win. It really gives Christie no choice but to back off, and Paul looks like the mature one putting party unity above policy disputes. This helps mainstream libertarianism in the GOP, as we can see Paul evolving from a rabble-rousing outsider into a statesman and leader within the party.

EricW on August 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I can only recall Christie attacking conservatives, never the Left

faraway on August 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The divide is being shown with the Christie/Paul spat…they just happen to be on both ends of the spectrum. I would be ok with the GOP swinging all the way to the Rand Paul end of the spectrum, I would cease any support for GOP candidates with a swing toward the Christie end of the spectrum.

People can call us hostage takers or terrorists for demanding the party move more to the right/libertarian side of things, but it is the truth. If we are abandoned and the party continues to lurch left, the party will cease to have the support of folks like me. I changed to independent after the McCain nomination, but still predominantly supported and voted for GOP pols. I no longer support all GOP pols after the Romney nomination and actively campaign against some. A Christie nomination would seal it for me and I would likely never support any GOP candidate in the future.

weaselyone on August 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM

What a petty petty man.

gophergirl on August 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I can only recall Christie attacking conservatives, never the Left

faraway on August 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Isn’t that the truth.

Cleombrotus on August 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

blackgriffin on August 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Well said! Ditto that for me.

rodguy911 on August 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I find it hilarious that folks who spent years called Ron Paul a lunatic for his “dangerous” foreign policy position are now attacking Christie for doing the same to his son (albeit in a more measured fashion), who essentially holds the same views.

Another thigh-slapper. The base is moving against the National Security State because it is Obama’s National Security State. Put a Republican back in the Oval Office and the base will be clamoring for an increase in NSA funding.

Christie’s argument makes perfect sense if you accept that he’s going to run as a Democrat. He’s running against Paul in terms of the general, not the Republican primary.

Mr. Arkadin on August 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

God speed the hostile takeover of the GOP

faraway on August 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Christie gains more with the let’s-put-down-D.C. provincial Jersey tough-guy posturing.

John the Libertarian on August 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM

If he was that busy his fat ass wouldn’t need lap band.

Kaptain Amerika on August 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Actually, he probably shouldn’t/can’t have a beer because of the lap band surgery.

I dunno, I don’t mind Rand pouring a little salt into Christie’s wound… Oooh, he probably shouldn’t have salt either.

Fallon on August 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM

RINOs make really good as*holes, don’t they?

I’m really beginning to despise Christie.

rrpjr on August 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM

This ain’t over:

Maybe not, over the longer term, but if Rand is smart he’ll follow the strategy of not punching down in class [if that's the right, or whole term ... sorry, it's just not coming to me right now]. He should ignore this ankle biter from NJ, and if anything address any substantial criticism from him indirectly in philosophical/technical ways and via someone else, not Christie.

It’s not worth getting into Christie’s mud pit and Paul should deny Christie the satisfaction of playing on the larger stage.

Dusty on August 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM

What a petty petty man.

gophergirl on August 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

The only small thing about the Jersey blowhard. Snookie looks classy by comparison.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Mr. Arkadin on August 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Yeah, you realize the hidden message in that concept right? If you oppose the NSA spying it is only because you hate Obama. Which, of course, means you are a racist.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM

With that belly, no time for beer? I question your honest, sir.

Panther on August 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Christie has no class, and no impulse control.

blue13326 on August 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Christie is no idiot, but why does he keep making himself seem like one? His attack and retorts are stupefying in their lameness and intellectual dishonesty.

Any open borders stances (which I believe Christie is a part of amnesty crowd) is more of an affront to 9/11 victims than a 4th amendment violating NSA program. Most/all of those terrorist clowns overstayed their visas.

Chubbs65 on August 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I can only recall Christie attacking conservatives, never the Left

[faraway on August 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM]

Well, he did with the school union and the Dems in the legislature in his early years. I don’t expect him to do that much in the future, though.

Dusty on August 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Chris Christie also had little time for Mitt Romney. Moreover, he practically called in his convention speach, which he probably penciled in on a used napkin.

Vera71 on August 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Christie can find the time of day anytime Obama is in town…

astonerii on August 1, 2013 at 12:15 PM

he does have time to hang out with his buddy barack

cmsinaz on August 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I don’t pay much attention to politics, but isn’t Crist-i a Democrat?

NOMOBO on August 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM

This guy truly is pathetic….

he continues to trash Republicans he has disagreements with, yet
never seems to have anything negative to say about any Democrats…

oh, and he does have time to go on Letterman….

ToddPA on August 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Note that I said put a “Republican” back in office, not a white guy. If Howard Dean were in office I would say the same thing.

Don’t tar me with that brush.

Mr. Arkadin on August 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Christie: I don’t have time to have a beer with Rand Paul as I’m busy looking pretty in case Obama drops by…

Does my butt look fat in this belt?

DANEgerus on August 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

How many politicians would say this today……..and mean it?

In the Spring of 1775 a patriot sounded the call of the ages in a Virginia church……may it ring out across our land again.

“….Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace, but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”

Where is our generations’ Patrick Henry?

It is certainly not the whiny political ruling classers like Christie and Coburn and McCain, Graham, Boehner, McConnell, etc.

PappyD61 on August 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Mr. Arkadin on August 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Is that what you think of the base? That we’re that stupid? I’m going to guess that you’re not part of the base, because you really don’t seem to get who we are.

Burke on August 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

That is Boehner’s M.O. He uses his lap dogs, Cantor/McCarthy and others to promote his agenda.

However, I have good news!!

Now a group of conservatives in Ohio-8, his congressional district are working to defeat him in the 2014 GOP primary.

bluefox on August 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Should’ve offered the fat man a bag of pork rinds and a milkshake.
That’s great, though.i don’t have much love or time for Krispy Kreme either.

HornetSting on August 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I understand why Christie isn’t ready for this feud to end. I don’t understand why Paul is. … Maybe he’s worried that an early attack from a prominent rival on his national-security cred will damage him by shaping voters’ perceptions before Paul’s had a chance to define himself.

I think AP is right about this point (he goes on to say that Christie is damaging himself more, which I’m am not so sure about…)

My take is that it is pretty much a draw so far. (As to who will gain anything from this squabble).

I think one’s interpretation of who is ‘winning’ this mini-feud is entirely dependent upon who you favor more in general.

If you are a Rand Rascal, you will think that he is winning, hands down.

If you are a Christie Comrade, than you think that the big guy is wiping the floor with Rand.

It seems that National Security is fast becoming a Center-Left characteristic. (Who’da thunk it??) To that end, Christie is reaching out to folks who became Bush supporters after 9/11. Obama has largely carried on Bush-era National Security tactics…while at the same time seeking to diminish America’s stature and reach in global affairs.

So we now seem to have 3 sets of main Foreign Policy opinion:

Obamaism: Tough on National Security, but not interested in being the world’s Superpower

Paulism: Civil Liberty is more important than National Security and also not interested in being the world’s Superpower

Bushism: Tough on National Security and see’s America as needing to take a leading role in global affairs

As the economy has remained tanked over the past 5 years, people have cared less and less about foreign policy. And certainly War Weariness has set in. But, I still think that Paulism is a tough sell to the majority of Americans. That seems to be what Christie is banking on.

RightWay79 on August 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Mr. Arkadin on August 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I don’t agree that Rand Paul is a clone of Ron Paul. He has his own mind and views and has shown that repeatedly.

The spying of NSA is the issue and Americans would be just as outraged against that no matter who holds the Oval Office. Had Snowden revealed that during GW’s term, you would have the same reaction.

And no, if Christie runs, it will not be as a Democrat. It has nothing to take on Hillary, good grief! If he runs, it will be as the RINO he is.

bluefox on August 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Dusty on August 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I agree. Rand put him in his place and exposed him for what he is.
A nasty airbag. Can anyone imagine him as Presidential? Not, I.

bluefox on August 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Where is our generations’ Patrick Henry?

PappyD61 on August 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

None of those you have listed, that’s for sure. There is only one person that has put his life on the line and that is Snowden. You and others may say he was wrong or right, but he believed what he said and was/is willing to die for it.

bluefox on August 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM

This is nothing more than another stake in the heart of the neo-con wing of the party. McCain, Graham, Cheney the younger, King, and now Christie have isolated themselves further from the rank and file GOP with their words and actions.

Tater Salad on August 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM

how about a double order of cheese fries you fat**** statist!

Rand Paul 2016

burserker on August 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Btw, I thought pork chop got the lap band.
Did he eat that too?

HornetSting on August 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Granted, it’s not scientific in any regard, but everyone I’ve talked to here in the Midwest about the Governor of New Jersey look at him in an unfavorable light.

They see him as rude, obnoxious, self centered, and hot headed. Definitely not presidential.

AScott on August 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I hope Christie loses his re-election attempt. Can’t stomach turncoat. Maybe he will have Obama come to NJ again to help him. Why doesn’t he go ahead and change parties since that is the party he obviously endorses.

lhuffman34 on August 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Why is it assumed that conservatives are automatically hawks. I’m tired of America’s sons, husbands, fathers, and brothers being killed in wars helping countries that hate us. A strong defense, yes, but sending our troops into every region is not good policy. Let some of these countries fight their own battles if they are just going to turn on us after we try to help them. Paul presents a better argument than what we have been doing.

Rose on August 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Christie’s BK Double Whopper with cheese and jumbo fries (triple Bloomberg the Coke) mouth seems to have lost him the first round.—Regular Right Guy

Mornin Mojo on August 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Stoic Patriot on August 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Hmmm. Perhaps I’m naive. Both election results surprised me.

freedomfirst on August 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I liked Christie when he stood up to the Teachers union because the GOP doesn’t stand up for much so it was a novelty. But the main thing Christie seems to be about is himself. Scott Walker wowed me as governor. Christie hasn’t. He started this fight with Paul and then cries when he is called King of Bacon. When Mika, on MSNBC, looking down her nose, asked him when he was going to do something about his weight, he was a lamb. But have a conservative defend against a fight he started, he becomes an a hole. Obama comes to his town, he services him by slobbering all over him. I’m starting to think of Mc Cain when I see Christie and I don’t mean that as compliment. They just seem similar in temprament and the need to have media attention and dem approval. What Christie may really be mad about is, even with surgery he can’t lose the weight. I didn’t care much about his weight but apparently he does given that he chose to have the surgery. He looks heavier to me now than before the surgery and even if he started to lose the weight now, I don’t know that he has the time.

Charm on August 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM