Christie: Hey, I don’t have time to have a beer with Rand Paul right now

posted at 11:01 am on August 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

I don’t get it. Why wouldn’t a guy running for reelection in a deeply Democratic state want a photo op with one of the GOP’s most right-wing members?

This ain’t over:

“I’m running for re-election in New Jersey. I don’t really have time for that at the moment,” Christie said. “If I find myself in Washington, I’ll certainly look him up, but I don’t suspect I’ll be there anytime soon.”…

“I don’t know why Senator Paul is so out of whack about this,” Christie said tonight. “At the end of the day I never called him any names, yet he called me names. I didn’t use any childish type phrases like gimme, gimme, gimme, he did. I just have to assume from that that he’s just trying to get attention. That’s fine. He’s not the first politician who’s used me to try to get attention in the national media and I’m sure he won’t be the last.”

Always ready to mix it up, Christie has labeled his detractors all sort of colorful names. Last night, he said he’s “not offended by Senator Paul calling me names.”

“I think it’s juvenile, but I’m not offended by it,” he said.

He never called Paul any names, but he did call his philosophy “very dangerous” and an affront to the victims of 9/11. Would you rather have that be said about you or be called the “king of bacon”?

I understand why Christie isn’t ready for this feud to end. I don’t understand why Paul is. There are few ways these days to endear yourself to grassroots conservatives more effectively than by picking a fight with the guy they regard as King RINO. (Actually, McCain’s King RINO, but Rand’s already squabbled with him. And Christie’s a prince at least.) Maybe he’s worried that an early attack from a prominent rival on his national-security cred will damage him by shaping voters’ perceptions before Paul’s had a chance to define himself. Seems more likely, though, that Christie’s damaging himself by defining his own image as ardently, intractably anti-libertarian, which ain’t a smart move given the base’s drift towards Paul’s position on NSA surveillance. Other party-watchers appear to agree:

In early-state New Hampshire, the conservative editorial page of the influential Union Leader newspaper mocked Christie’s dismissive view of the surveillance debate, writing that “the entirety of Christie’s argument” was “9/11!”…

“This strikes me as one of his gut-reaction, classic Chris Christie moments. ‘Oh yeah? Well, you don’t talk that way in New Jersey, buddy, because in New Jersey we see it this way.’ And that’s great if you’re governor of New Jersey and you’re going to stay governor of New Jersey,” [Union Leader editorial editor Drew] Cline said. “But this is a guy who apparently aspires to the highest office in the land. To come across as being unfamiliar with the very concept that the Constitution protects citizens from having their rights trampled on by the state is not going to play well nationally in a Republican primary.”

New Hampshire-based strategist David Carney, a senior adviser to Rick Perry’s 2012 presidential campaign, said it was easy to call the winner of this bout: “Round one: Rand.”

“There is a real libertarian bent to the GOP and many other voting groups – not in the Ron Paul class, but being fed up with big government in general. Real Republicans and most Americans are willing to discuss the role of America in the world and for limits or at least adjustments,” Carney said.

You can win the 2016 nomination running as someone who’s less libertarian than Paul. (In fact, the eventual nominee almost certainly will be.) I don’t know if you can win it running as someone who’s contemptuous of libertarianism as a “very dangerous thought.” Like I’ve said before, that’s not just a philosophical difference, it’s an electability issue: The nominee will need some Paul sympathizers to hold their noses and vote for him against the Democrat. Hardcore libertarians will stay home if Paul doesn’t win the nomination, but not all people who agree with key parts of Paul’s platform are hardcore. They’re gettable in theory — provided you don’t imply that they’re nuts for worrying about the direction of the surveillance state. This is why I think Rubio/Walker/Ryan are the real winners in all this ultimately. They’ll be more hawkish than Paul but way, way less antagonistic towards his supporters than Christie is. They can play him and Christie off each other as both being too extreme in their respective ways.

Exit question: In the Politico piece excerpted, they suggest that Paul’s happy to have this fight because he “knows he must clear the commander-in-chief test.” How does this help him do that? The knock on libertarians isn’t that they’re afraid to stand up to their political enemies; on the contrary, judging from the commentary I read online, there’s nothing that makes them happier than brawling with big-government Republicans. To credit Paul for showing nerve in taking on Christie (especially when he knows that most of the base is on his side) is like crediting Ron Paul with nerve for dumping on Ben Bernanke. That’s … what libertarians do. The fear among hawks isn’t that Paul is too much of a “wimp” or whatever to use U.S. military assets when necessary. It’s that, because of his foreign policy views, he’ll reflexively deem it unnecessary in every circumstance, whether the facts support that view or not. I’m sure Rand would say (and probably has said) that he would have ordered the raid on Bin Laden’s compound too. Would he have, though? Is a serious breach of Pakistan’s national sovereignty involving U.S. boots on the ground something you’d expect a libertarian pol to embrace? The answer isn’t a function of cowardice or “wimpiness,” it’s a function of ideology. He’s not a wimp, he’s a Paul. That’s what GOP voters who are otherwise well disposed to him will wrestle with in two years.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Someone, Somewhere, Really Is Combing Through Your Google Search History

What happened was this: At about 9:00 am, my husband, who happened to be home yesterday, was sitting in the living room with our two dogs when he heard a couple of cars pull up outside. He looked out the window and saw three black SUVs in front of our house; two at the curb in front and one pulled up behind my husband’s Jeep in the driveway, as if to block him from leaving.

Six gentleman in casual clothes emerged from the vehicles and spread out as they walked toward the house, two toward the backyard on one side, two on the other side, two toward the front door.

A million things went through my husband’s head. None of which were right. He walked outside and the men greeted him by flashing badges. He could see they all had guns holstered in their waistbands.

“Are you [name redacted]?” one asked while glancing at a clipboard. He affirmed that was indeed him, and was asked if they could come in. Sure, he said.

They asked if they could search the house, though it turned out to be just a cursory search. They walked around the living room, studied the books on the shelf (nope, no bomb making books, no Anarchist Cookbook), looked at all our pictures, glanced into our bedroom, pet our dogs. They asked if they could go in my son’s bedroom but when my husband said my son was sleeping in there, they let it be.

Meanwhile, they were peppering my husband with questions. Where is he from? Where are his parents from? They asked about me, where was I, where do I work, where do my parents live. Do you have any bombs, they asked. Do you own a pressure cooker? My husband said no, but we have a rice cooker. Can you make a bomb with that? My husband said no, my wife uses it to make quinoa. What the hell is quinoa, they asked.

Quinoa is one of the healthiest foods ever, but that’s beside the point here.

That’s Michele Catalano, formerly of the blog A Small Victory, writing above. For what it’s worth, A Small Victory was an anti-terrorism blog, among other things.

So who were the men in the SUV, and why did they show up at her house? They were members of a “joint terrorism task force.” They showed up and peppered Catalano’s husband with questions and searched their house evidently because while Michele was in one part of the house Googling pressure cookers to figure out how to cook lentils a few weeks back, her husband was Googling backpacks on a computer in another part of the house, because he was looking to buy a backpack.

Googling pressure cookers and backpacks, after Boston, apparently earns an American citizen — on whom the NSA is forbidden by law to spy — a casually terrifying visit from armed government men driving around in SUVs. The men told Catalano’s husband that they conduct about 100 similar visits to American households per week.

Yet, the Tsarnaevs somehow flew under the radar.

How are government officials putting search histories together on people who haven’t broken any laws? Just how much information is the government collecting on all of us? If the information state is as pervasive as Catalano’s experience suggests it is, the potential for misuse and abuse is staggering. This isn’t a Republican thing or a Democrat thing or a Libertarian or libertarian thing — it’s an American thing.

Simply put, we’re not really free in our own homes anymore.

But, ‘NSA! NSA! NSA!’

Right, fat man?

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Yeah. The last guy to do that was named Barack, and you couldn’t stop sucking his c**k.

F**k off, fat boy.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Rose on August 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I agree. The motives for sending our Military into other Countries needs questioned also.

To be hawkish on defense of our own Country is what is needed.

bluefox on August 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM

So what were you doing in Aspen, CO ?

burrata on August 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Simply put, we’re not really free in our own homes anymore.

But, ‘NSA! NSA! NSA!’

Right, fat man?

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Wow! That is frightening. We just had a vote on the Amash Amendment and it was defeated. This report you posted needs to be sent to each one of the No votes. I hope that family thinks of doing that. Especially that Michelle Bachmann that argued with Beck that it was “only” foreign spying and not domestic. Her statements were such that her investigations showed no domestic spying. As if she is the “truth holder”.

In case you haven’t seen this NAS whistleblower’s reply to Beck & Bachmann’s discussion, it is here:

Part2 is first, followed by Part1

bluefox on August 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Rubio/Walker/Ryan are the real winners…

Disagree. The real winner is Ted Cruz. Cruz is more hawkish than Paul, but not so hawkish that he wants to invade the world. Bush would be the default pick for panic

Cruz has manage to take the side of border security first, therefore he has avoided the immigration pothole Rubio has stepped in and it appears Ryan wants to step in. Walker has been too much in Christie’s camp of late and although a good enough conservative on many other issues will have a hard time getting traction with this group we have for 2016. If Cruz runs along with Paul, Christie, Rubio there just will not be enough oxygen left and not enough oxygen left for anyone else to survive. God forbid if Bush (Member of the Monarchist wing of the GOP) runs then we will have five mouths to feed.

William Eaton on August 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

>I would hope it would be a move toward Cruz and Paul.

Yeah, please tell me the states that will pick up for the GOP?

I guess you’re tired of 100+ EV ass-kickings. In 2008, it was “only” 192 EVs. See if you can make it a nice 250.

‘Murica!

inklake on August 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Correction above: “Bush would be the default pick for panicking Rinos”

William Eaton on August 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

One could be tempted to try this attempting to replicate the results. Scientific method approach to busting our government for spying on citizens who have done nothing wrong.

weaselyone on August 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM

So we now seem to have 3 sets of main Foreign Policy opinion:

Obamaism: Tough on National Security, but not interested in being the world’s Superpower

Paulism: Civil Liberty is more important than National Security and also not interested in being the world’s Superpower

Bushism: Tough on National Security and see’s America as needing to take a leading role in global affairs

As the economy has remained tanked over the past 5 years, people have cared less and less about foreign policy. And certainly War Weariness has set in. But, I still think that Paulism is a tough sell to the majority of Americans. That seems to be what Christie is banking on.

RightWay79 on August 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM

The Bush-Barry policy — both foreign and domestic — is page after page of King Louis XVI’s playbook.

Punchenko on August 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

But, ‘NSA! NSA! NSA!’

Right, fat man?

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

This is why it will take a lot for me to personally move away from being grateful to Snowden.

People are now aware and are speaking up.

kim roy on August 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Via Drudge: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/08/government-knocking-doors-because-google-searches/67864/#.UfqCSAXy7zQ.facebook

Google ‘Pressure Cookers’ and ‘Backpacks,’ Get a Visit from the Cops

Insanity!

I wonder if that order came from 2 underlings in Cincy?

bluefox on August 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Yeah, please tell me the states that will pick up for the GOP?

‘Murica!

inklake on August 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Your premise is that a GOP party migration toward Christie would result in more EVs than a GOP party migration toward Cruz/Paul?

It’s an enteresting premise to say the least.

weaselyone on August 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM

William Eaton on August 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Cruz would get crushed by Hillary. He would make a good VP if he wanted it.

Punchenko on August 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM

People are now aware and are speaking up.

kim roy on August 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I posted on this thread: bluefox on August 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Just went to Fox and found this, so I think we’re in good company.

Liberty’s backlash — why we should be grateful to Edward Snowden

By Judge Andrew P. Napolitano
Published August 01, 2013
FoxNews.com

bluefox on August 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Punchenko on August 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

That’s a bit frightening. That puts us in the role of the French Revolutionaries?

I suupose an argument could be made for the similarities (in temperment and intractableness, if certainly not in methods) between today’s hardcore libertarians and the Jacobins. Ron Paul cuts a nice figure as a substitute Robispierre (minus the bloodshed, thankfully).

RightWay79 on August 1, 2013 at 4:00 PM

NSA Helpful Tip of the Day: Never buy a backpack and a rice cooker online on the same day.

If you do, prepare for a visit.

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

NSA Helpful Tip of the Day: Always engage in Synchronised Searches w/ur housemates.

Combo ‘Puter Searches can be a pre-crime.

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Cruz would get crushed by Hillary. He would make a good VP if he wanted it.

Punchenko on August 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM

no no no no no i completely disagree with you..cankles is a harpy. principled cruz is a master at responding to his critics.

besides…am waiting for the yet another scandal shoe to drop over her bother and husband and all time fund raiser/businessman/va dem gub candidate and 2nd in command home land security nominee selling visas for $500K (+++ under the table or why would they do it) to chinese foreign nationals denied visas x 2 because of their links to crooks and terrorists.

scratch and sniff….smells bad even on the surface

gracie on August 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM

If I had any doubts…………

avagreen on August 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I have actually been quite impressed with how Rand Paul is standing up to Chris Christie here.

bluegill on August 1, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Christie: Hey, I don’t have time to have a beer with Rand Paul right now

Christie is too busy having beers with his fellow liberal ideologues like the uber-liberal NY Governor Andrew Cuomo who Christie says he agrees with on 98% of the issues.

RJL on August 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Christie: Hey, I don’t have time to have a beer with Rand Paul right now

…A KEG!…maybe…

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM

…Rand Paul is lucky!…that hippo could be doggie dry humping his leg… like he does JugEar’s!

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM

bluegill on August 1, 2013 at 6:16 PM

…we’re happy for you!

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I dislike Christie more every day.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

“deeply Democratic” vs “right-wing”

Who’s your audience, AP?

applebutter on August 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Oh, but I’d bet he’s got time for a doughnut or two. Or three.

Cleombrotus on August 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Or dozen

RandallinHerndon on August 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM

“Hey Rand, I’m bigger than you and higher up the food chain. Get in my belly!”

RandallinHerndon on August 2, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Bet if it was a side of beef you’d take him up on it though, right Christie?

redware on August 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Christie is just a fat rino.
His only claim to fame was forcing the teachers union in NJ to accepting some financial reforms.
The rest of the time he is a demorat.

sniffles1999 on August 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM