America’s shame: Wine catching up to beer as country’s preferred booze

posted at 5:01 pm on August 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

Beer’s still tops — by one slim point. Twenty years ago, it led wine by 20.

This isn’t America.

Young adult drinkers’ alcoholic beverage preferences have changed dramatically over the past two decades. In the early 1990s, 71% of adults under age 30 said they drank beer most often; now it is 41% among that age group. There has been a much smaller decline in the percentage of 30- to 49-year-olds who say they drink beer the most, from 48% to 43%, with essentially no change in older drinkers’ beer preference.

Younger adults’ preferences have shifted toward both liquor and wine, but more so toward liquor, over the past two decades. Those between the ages of 30 and 49 have moved exclusively toward liquor. Older Americans now increasingly say they drink wine most and are less likely to say they drink liquor most…

Since the early 1990s, both whites and nonwhites have become less likely to choose beer as their favorite alcoholic drink. However, nonwhites have shown a greater shift than whites, down 19 points and nine points, respectively. Both racial groups’ preferences for wine have increased, with smaller gains in both groups’ preferences for liquor.

Millennials, who are more left-wing than the rest of the electorate on most policy matters, evidently prefer the European approach for alcohol consumption too.

The stereotype that men are beer-drinkers and women wine-drinkers is also amply confirmed, by the way, although interestingly that’s less true for men these days than it was 20 years ago and more true for women. In the early 90s, men preferred beer to wine 64/15. Now it’s 53/20. Twenty years ago, women preferred wine to beer, 43/29. Today it’s 52/20. Also interestingly, both then and now, women have preferred hard liquor slightly more than men did. Everything … okay, ladies?

My hunch when I saw the data was that the average price of wine must have dropped over time. I can’t find hard data to back that up after Googling, though; on the contrary, this Slate piece from 2011 noted that super-cheap wine grew less popular with Americans between the mid-90s and mid-00s. I don’t think it’s cost that’s driving this. I think it’s probably health reasons. The public’s undeniably more aware of the consequences of obesity than it was 20 years ago, and it’s also more aware of the virtues of a low-carb diet. Wine typically will get you drunk with fewer calories, fewer carbs, and maybe some side health benefits. The more health-conscious America gets, presumably the more wine will gain on beer as its beverage of choice. And then, someday when Mike Bloomberg’s president, both of them will be banned and replaced with sugar-free fruit juice. The golden age is nigh, my friends.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Eurofication of America continues.

kevinkristy on August 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Given the popularity of foofah beers, not sure that slight edge is really an edge.

ConservativeLA on August 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Any numbers on the great American v brie cheese war?

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM

In Heaven there is no Beer

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Eurofication compared to what? Germans and the Czeck Republic? I like wine.

Mr. Joe on August 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I also like American micro brews and brew my own. It is all good.

Mr. Joe on August 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Editorial writer got fired for Obama editorial. Wouldn’t know it if reading Hot Air.

SirGawain on August 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM

replaced with sugar-free fruit juice.

I’m thinking Arizona brand Watermelon Juice drink with some Skittles and other stuff. Stay thirsty, my friends!

a capella on August 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM

As long as people drink, it’s OK.

philoquin on August 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Wine vs. Beer (at least in terms of calories/carbs) are both pretty close because most calories come from the alcohol (although you might get more carbs from beer given the volume). Red wine may be healthier for you, but you get health benefits from hoppy microbrews too.

We better go with fine bourbons!

Mr. Joe on August 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

America’s shame: Wine catching up to beer as country’s preferred booze

Not here it ain’t.

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM

This shouldn’t surprise you since beer is consumed and marketed much more like wine than it ever has been. The huge variety, the microbrews etc. Beer basically is wine, culturally. And really…why choose?

libfreeordie on August 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I drink beer and wine. Whatever I feel like. Because I’m still FREE to choose!

If you haven’t heard, red wine is good for you too…

kirkill on August 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Not surprised. While wine showed up in America already highly and blatantly diverse (red/white, dry/tart, etc.), beer is still largely thought of as Bud, Miller, Coors. Beer has a higher complexity barrier to entry. In my experience beer snobs are way more likely to ruin someone’s palate to craft beer (Here, try this. It’s called Arrogant Bastard, but it’s more of a mid-range ale for me.) than a wine snob, who knows it’s a gradual process before someone is drinking bombastic high-tannin red wines.

And women prefer hard liquor because that’s where you can best create drinks where you don’t taste the booze.

Sgt Steve on August 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I think the massive increase in domestic production of wine, factors into this also.

Rebar on August 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

ConservativeLA pretty well nailed it. When I saw people drinking Zima I knew things were amiss. Then came all the fruit beers. I can drink just about any beer except those sweet ones and Pearl Light. And some of the local microbrews are interesting.

And luckily DanMa’am is a beer slob like me.

DanMan on August 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM

The wife and I definitely drink more wine than beer.
Higher alcohol content means drinking less volume which means fewer trips to the restroom – a factor that has gotten more critical in the last few years since I broke the 50 mark…..

Also, the beers we like are in the same price range, by volume, as the wines we drink – and lower alcohol content.

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM

The reason that wine has caught up with beer sales is that this guy died:

The Beer Can House (Photo Essay)

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Forgive me, father, for I have Zinned, but, hey .. at 106F, beer’s a lot cheaper !!!
Trust moi.

pambi on August 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I don’t think so. The entire wine market has changed. Wine used to be perceived as a snobby upper class drink that people had to know lots about in order to purchase and enjoy. That has all changed. Mid-to-low-priced wines have now flooded the market and labeling is more often than not casual and fun with bright graphics. The selection of decent wine even in places like convenience and grocery stores has exploded.

In short, wine is way more accessible than it used to be and much less threatening.

The increase in men preferring it to beer is IMO just another example of the beta-fying of the American male (which bums me out even though I am a wine as well as a beer lover). Thanks a lot AP. ;)

Missy on August 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I blame decent quality wine being put into 3 liter boxes and sold for $20. That’s my excuse anyway.

forest on August 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM

SirGawain on August 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Which editorial? Was it the Chattanooga one?

I don’t recognize this country anymore.

Missy on August 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM

forest on August 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Truth .. it ain’t bad.

pambi on August 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I agree with Rebar that increased local wine production has helped push this sickening and sad trend. These results are a clear hint of the beginning of the end of the world.

I guess my kegerator will have to work extra hard to make up the difference and save the world. Shiner, anyone?

matthew26 on August 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I have to be in the mood for beer or wine, which is rare for me. For beer, it’s Sam Adams or nothing. The best wine I ever tasted was a white Virginia, so that’s where I’ll go for a wine. I drink domestic anyway, because so many Euro wines I have tried, even expensive ones, make me think of luke-warm gnat p*ss.

And no– not any, ever — brie.

Liam on August 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM

In this house, wine comes in third behind beer and scotch/bourbon

Metro on August 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM

In Heaven there is no Beer

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Wash your mouth out with soap!!!!!!

antipc on August 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Never trust a survey on politics or booze.

How many who label themselves as “conservative” are actually liberals?

And how many beer drinkers what to be seen as ‘sophisticated’, so call themselves ‘wine drinkers’?

Personally, I’ll trust those who simply state a preference for LIQUOR.

GarandFan on August 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Don’t worry. A couple more years of this clown and his deluded libs and we’ll all be in same financial shape as cuba and the old USSR. Other than the ruling elite that lord over us we’ll all be drinking rot gut vodka and squeezings.

Of course, we’ll have windmill and solar power so we’ll be way ahead of the the soviet communists.

Of course the ruling elite have their daccaus on nantucket along with their own seperate but equal healthcare, pensions, taxes (or lack thereof)and their investment rules.

acyl72 on August 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM

In other words we are becoming a nation of pussies.

bgibbs1000 on August 1, 2013 at 5:28 PM

To think that I was a sophisticated oenophile before it was cool.

Night Train Express was ALWAYS my preferred wine with its hint of future hangovers and woody aftertaste from laying too long on the floor!

NavyMustang on August 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Hipsters, right? I bet it’s because of those hipsters.

Damn hippies!

madmonkphotog on August 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Sgt Steve on August 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Ha!

Brought to you by the same food snobs who eat Cold Stone Creamery milk flavored snot laced with Nicaraguan pralines and drink Starbucks Mucho Grande Half-caf with a shot of pretentiousness, because plain old coffee and ice cream is for knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers.

CurtZHP on August 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Personally, I’ll trust those who simply state a preference for LIQUOR.

GarandFan on August 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Scotch drinker here, middle- to top shelf tossed off straight with an ice water back.

As they say, “Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.”

Liam on August 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Rebar on August 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

This is a great point. The Colorado Western slope around Palisade is booming with vineyards.

I highly recommend Maison la Belle Vie if you are in the area, and they sell it around the state too, none near my home unfortunately.

I support the local brew pubs too, Pikes Peak Brewery in Monument, CO is fantastic.

kirkill on August 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM

wine for winter beer for summer.

rob verdi on August 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Jameson on the rocks…ahhh.

d1carter on August 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Wash your mouth out with soap!!!!!!

antipc on August 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Plenty of wine and beer…why waste soap?

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Shocking, Breaking CNN Report: CIA Is Polygraphing Operatives Regularly in ‘Unprecedented’ Effort to Keep Benghazi Secrets

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Why would you polygraph people that you’ve gone to great lengths to train to fool a polygraph? Sounds counterproductive to me.

Oldnuke on August 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Was there a crosstab that indicted that we all became far more dependent on all manners of drink in November 2008? Seriously, it’s proven that more people check out with booze in bad times. We will all be in rehab by 2016.

BettyRuth on August 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

The way things are heading you might want to drink garlic wine soon, just to keep you numb to the reality around you.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM

In the Obama economy if she wants wine and you want beer, wine wins cause you want……..

meci on August 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Oldnuke on August 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

As they say, “Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.”

Liam on August 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Yum! Love Dewar’s. Like it better than most single malts. On the rocks for me. I know blasphemy but that’s what I like :-)

Oldnuke on August 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

In Heaven there is no Beer

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Hardly makes it worth going then, eh?

Solaratov on August 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM

What?

The?

<expletive deleted>?

The Eurofication Frenchification of America continues.

kevinkristy on August 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM

ReWrite™ engaged to reflect economic reality. After all, the Germans still drink beer, our spending habits are Mediterranean, not Teutonic, in nature, and the French are easy targets.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Box wine!

El_Terrible on August 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM

In Heaven there is no Beer

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

In Hell, there’s only wine.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Oldnuke on August 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Goes to show that there must be something really bad that the administration doesn’t want out if they are willing to go to such lengths.

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I thought that was vinegar wine.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Honestly, I don’t like bear. Red wine is okay (I prefer it chilled), but I prefer hard cider.

Count to 10 on August 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Why don’t we do the right thing by banning both of them, and ban the rest of the intoxicating potables.

Because alcohol is bad. It kills, and destroys families. Some say we tried that before, and it just led to rampant law breaking and crime, without stopping drinking. Well, you know what, it did cut drinking by a little bit, and if we had put in more law enforcment $ and forces, kind of like we are doing today with the drug war, with SWAT teams busting down doors in no-knock raids to find the insidious alcohol, we could have cut drinking by maybe a bit more. So lets amend the constitution again, and add drugs to the list of things prohibited by the feds, as then the feds would have an unquestionable constitutional mandate to engage in mass persecution and imprisonment of the drinkers an stoners. /narc http://disinfo.com/2012/10/matt-groffs-viral-drug-war-spending-chart/

anotherJoe on August 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Oldnuke on August 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

That’s how a drink JD. As the ice melts, I add more JD!

Once, when some of us had a chance to try Chivas Regal Royal Salute (21 years old) at a wealthy cousin’s party, an uncle mixed it. My dad almost cried. LOL

Liam on August 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Maybe the prices of wine dropped…lots coming in from Australia, New Zeeland, Argentina, maybe the former Eastern bloc lands…jimver could help us out on this.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Many possible explanations, most covered by AP.

Beer is often portrayed in the media as a more redneck flyover country beverage. Unless it’s from a local micro brewery.

I’m also wondering if women as a whole are drinking more than they did 20 years ago. Maybe, maybe not. But the behavior of women has changed a lot in the past 20-30 years, with women adopting more behavior that was traditionally associated with men.

I don’t drink much wine anymore, but 20-30 years ago almost all of the better wines were imported. Domestic wines have improved dramatically in quality in the past 20-30 years, and they cost a lot less. Quality up, price down.

Most wines are much lower in carbs than most beer.

And hard liquor, without sugary mixers, is the lowest of all.

One other reason.

Study after study has suggested that a glass or two of wine a day is good for you.

farsighted on August 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Honestly, I don’t like bear..

Count to 10 on August 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yeah, bear is awfully greasy. Rabbit or squirrel is much better.

Oldnuke on August 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I thought that was vinegar wine.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Chap, it won’t matter :)

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Count to 10 on August 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Bears tend to tear your guts out. Beer, on the other hand,….

To each his own.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM

kirkill on August 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Even though that’s also local for me, and they have some good stuff, I still prefer Breckenridge Brewing (Avalanche), New Belgium Brewing (Ft Collins)(Fat Tire), and Bristol Brewing (Colorado Springs) (Laughing Lab).

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Honestly, I don’t like bear..

Count to 10 on August 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yeah, bear is awfully greasy. Rabbit or squirrel is much better.

Oldnuke on August 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I’m also notorious for wrong-word errors…

Count to 10 on August 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Exclusive: Dozens of CIA operatives on the ground during Benghazi attack

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

With their pants on the ground.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

CurtZHP on August 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Stone Brewery’s Arrogant Bastard is a beer made to be strong nearly to the point of being offensive. No lie, that’s what I got introduced to when I first got into craft beers. If it’s the first IPA/APA/strong beer you ever try, you’ll be highly put off. Now I love that stuff. But it was several years between.

My point was that craft beer fans who try to be evangelical about their love of craft beer have a bad habit of throwing their acolytes in the deep end. By comparison, in my experience, wine snobs consider the path from mild to full bodied wines to be part of the experience rather than the destination.

Sgt Steve on August 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Bears tend to tear your guts out. Beer, on the other hand,….

To each his own.

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM

These are the moments of HA, cheers!

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Which editorial? Was it the Chattanooga one?

I don’t recognize this country anymore.

Missy on August 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM

There’s no reason to reply to me. All of my comments get moderated for no reason and most don’t show up at all, while liberals are free to post here at will.

SirGawain on August 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

To think that I was a sophisticated oenophile before it was cool.

NavyMustang on August 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Not drunk is he
who from the floor
Can rise again
and drink some more.

But drunk is he
who prostrate lies,
And can neither
drink nor rise.

;-)

Solaratov on August 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I’m also notorious for wrong-word errors…

Count to 10 on August 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

It’s all good, I knew what you meant. Just couldn’t resist yanking your chain a bit :-)

Oldnuke on August 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM

These are the moments of HA, cheers!

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

PROST!

:clink:

(It’s close enough to 5 o’clock where I am)

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Don’t look at me. I’m a Stoli addict.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Clink back. Your posts are great. Stay somewhat sober :)

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

The great philosopher Carollastotle has it spot on…..
“In 50 years, we’ll all be chics”

FlaMurph on August 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Don’t look at me. I’m a Stoli addict.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Brings back memories. Had a girlfriend who always kept a bottle of Stoli in the freezer.

farsighted on August 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Exclusive: Dozens of CIA operatives on the ground during Benghazi attack

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

This makes me ache, physically and mentally. It used to be the agency of all agencies, even when nefarious actions/inactions took place.

Today, to the demise of the world and the US, and to their shame, they are but a lawyer-cover-each-butt agency, with crooks and mostly dummies at the helm, yes-men.

This will be my biggest regret, to my dying hour. It is so symbolic of how far the US has been sunk, from within, from the top.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Don’t look at me. I’m a Stoli addict.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

In my younger days I used to keep a bottle of vodka with several black peppercorns steeping in it. Kept it in the freezer. Loved that peppery taste.

Oldnuke on August 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Beer hangover = managable
Wine hangover = ARGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Beer me!

44Magnum on August 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM

SirGawain on August 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Post is up.

KCB on August 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I think it’s probably health reasons.

That may be part of the reason, but I don’t think it’s or the greatest reason.

Another is it’s an unintended consequence of the rise of the specialty beers and/or micros, which ever you want to call them. They’ve shown the public to just how bad the standard beers are. People never realized what they’ve been missing out on. This opened the door to going for variety.

The explosion of growth in the wine industry is a mirror, of a lagging nature, of the micro-brewer/specialty beer strategy both with niche marketing and the, relatively speaking, ease of market entry.

The thing is that while specialty/micro beer is a jump in price, whereas specialty/micro wine is much less so. Both can advertise their localness, but I think has an easier time with that for various reasons.

Dusty on August 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM

My standard for judging low-cost wine is Fetzer Merlot. (I rarely drink it, but it’s popular and respected enough to be a good price barometer.) In 2000, it was $6 at its steepest discount. Now, still $6. I don’t think I need to argue to this audience that there’s been a bit of inflation — especially in other foodstuffs — during that period of time.

calbear on August 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM

;-)

Solaratov on August 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

“No true Irishman is really drunk so long as he can hold onto a blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth”.

One of my wife’s favorites (she’s half southern Georgia Irish).

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Exclusive: Dozens of CIA operatives on the ground during Benghazi attack

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Benghazi has the power to bring down this government. They are fighting this phony scandal way to hard…

d1carter on August 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Don’t look at me. I’m a Stoli addict.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Everyone has their own taste preferences – which is why I don’t care for snobs of any type.
My wife and I drink more red wine (usually Ironstone Cab) than anything else, but she likes the fruity ones and I like the oaky ones – as well as tawney ports.
In beer, I like the ambers, my wife likes the porters and stouts (but can’t drink much of it).
For hard liquor, I like tequila, she likes vodka (Grey Goose or 3 Olives).
To each his or her own….

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM

As an under-30 who greatly prefers beer over wine, I really think it’s a liquor thing. Between wine and beer the choice is easy, unless it’s a big fancy to-do I’ll choose beer. Throw whiskey into the mix, 7/10 I’ll choose whiskey.

Plus, cocktail bars are a big deal. Opening up all over the place, and at some of them you can get a ridiculous cocktail that some dude trained 15 years to learn how to make for the same price as a beer, or maybe a buck or two more.

galenrox on August 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Exclusive: Dozens of CIA operatives on the ground during Benghazi attack

Resist We Much on August 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The other half of that, given the full flaming skull treatment by Ace (quoting the CNN piece):

Since January, some CIA operatives involved in the agency’s missions in Libya, have been subjected to frequent, even monthly polygraph examinations, according to a source with deep inside knowledge of the agency’s workings.

The goal of the questioning, according to sources, is to find out if anyone is talking to the media or Congress.

It is being described as pure intimidation, with the threat that any unauthorized CIA employee who leaks information could face the end of his or her career.

In exclusive communications obtained by CNN, one insider writes, “You don’t jeopardize yourself, you jeopardize your family as well.”

Steve Eggleston on August 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Sgt Steve on August 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Went to a jazz club a few weeks ago and ordered for the first time a draft Stone IPA. Delicious. Only 7.9% alcohol. It’s $2 a bottle at the grocery store, but, on occasion, a nice treat. Otherwise, I drink Natural Light on ice. I’m not a snob.

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Solaratov on August 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Hey! Do you work for NSA?! Obvious you’ve been reading my mail!

;-)

NavyMustang on August 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Ha!

CurtZHP on August 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Yep. Food snobs of any stripe annoy the hell out of me. There are some people I work with now and with whom I have worked in the past who are pretty aggressive in their veganism/vegetarianism. Fine, eat what you want. But quit pestering me to follow your diet or otherwise think I’m some kind of Neanderthal because I like and eat meat. I’ll eat what I want, thank you very much.

PatriotGal2257 on August 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Yellowtail Merlot from Australia is delish.

PatriotGal2257 on August 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Love me some pinoTTT noiRRR!
Amer’ca!

Glenn Jericho on August 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I’ve grown more fond of wine over beer in the past few years. I’m learning more and more about wine, and have found some great staples around the $6 mark (seriously–not swill; very good bottles can be found in this $6-8 range nowadays, esp. at Trader Joe’s).

I would say that I prefer reds over whites, but then I’d be called a racist (and possibly a communist sympathizer).

A440Hz on August 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM

“In 50 years, we’ll all be chics”

FlaMurph on August 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM

There was a SciFi Channel original movie about that.
:-P

Glenn Jericho on August 1, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Beer snob here. I don’t really drink that often at all and hardly ever to the point of 20′s drunkeness, but i have a passionately love for quality beer. Beer is more like wine to me than Budweiser picked up from the convenience store.

That being said, I have European family members so I’ve always been around wine and learned it. Never been a fan of reds, but I do enjoy good wine from time to time. I don’t think that’s altered for me or grown in the last decade though, pretty well stayed the same on the beer:wine ratio.

And if it’s liquor, it better be bourbon or whiskey, otherwise I’ve got no taste for it at all.

Real beer/whiskeys or bourbons/white wines. Pretty well in that order for me.

Genuine on August 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM

A440Hz on August 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Here in Pennsylvania, we’re still condemned to shopping at the state liquor store, because apparently the state can’t seem to figure out how to allow regular grocery stores to be able to sell wine without the stupid state liquor store union being involved.

Even so, I’ve found some pretty reasonably priced wines there, especially the red zinfandels, merlots and pinot noirs.

PatriotGal2257 on August 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Wine catching up to beer as country’s preferred booze

You say that as if it’s a BAD thing.

Cleombrotus on August 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM

A440Hz on August 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM

PatriotGal2257 on August 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM

In Colorado, I’ve found the best deals on everything at the Costco liquor stores – which are not really run by Costco, and don’t require a Costco membership to get in.
The McMannis Cab that I like is $8 there, but runs about $11 or $12 in regular liquor stores.
Same goes for beer and hard liquor. The only problem is they don’t have as wide a selection as most liqour stores.

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Liquor for me. Usually Sailor Jerry’s rum w/Coke. Sometimes tequila shots.

Back in the early ’80s, there was a bar across from the factory where I worked… a bunch of us would gather there on payday to get a little toasty. In the front window was a sign:

Liquor In The Front, Poker In The Rear

It was amazing how many of my co-workers didn’t get it (since no poker was played there).

Ugly on August 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM

“Liquor In The Front, Poker In The Rear”

Ugly on August 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Big Johnson’s Bar and Grill….
That phrase you wrote is one of the regulars on the t-shirts at the tourist traps in the area.

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I also like American micro brews and brew my own. It is all good.

Mr. Joe on August 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Most girls do.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Not surprised. I’m sure it was used many times over…

Ugly on August 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Wine is OK. Nice wine is really OK. Nice cheap wine is super.
But …
Any decent beer with a well made tasty sandwich. Oh man.
Molson’s Golden Ale … I do miss it cause nobody carries it anymore.

Missilengr on August 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM