Weiner: “‘Quit’ isn’t the way we roll in New York City”

posted at 9:31 am on July 31, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

I cannot begin to fathom the ego required for this level of obstinacy. It’s mortifying to even think about.

You know, sometimes people say to me, ‘This campaign is pretty rough. You may want to quit.’ I know there are newspaper editors and other politicians that say, ‘Boy, I wish that guy Weiner would quit.’ They don’t know New York. They certainly don’t know me. Quit isn’t the way we roll in New York City. We fight through tough things. We are a tough city. … If someone wants to come out with something embarrassing about you in your private life, you have to talk about that for a little while. But it’s also reminded me that citizens, when they come up to you, and they want to talk to you about a situation on their block or at their child’s school or something going on at their job site, that that’s what this campaign is all about, and I’ll never forget that.

“We fight through tough things, we are a tough city. There are people all around New York City who get up with a tough day ahead of them, and they don’t quit.” …Really? Really? It certainly sounds an awful lot like he’s actually venturing to compare New Yorkers’ economic struggles with his sexting scandal, no?

Anyhow, the consensus (to everybody but Weiner himself, that is) seems to be that the coming implosion isn’t a question of “if,” but “when” — the polls are dropping, his campaign manager quit over the weekend, and every day he succeeds in furthering alienating himself right and left. Just how many embarrassments will it take to get this guy to cut and run?

“He looks a guy who’s at the deep end of the pool and he really doesn’t know how to swim. For a guy whose whole reputation was how smart a political guy he was, how good he was on camera, how quick witted he was, this is part of the process of unraveling,” said Bill Cunningham, a former communications director for Mayor Mike Bloomberg.

Weiner’s got two options, Cunningham said: Keep taking questions that prompt more incredible answers or refuse to speak about the scandal and get accused of going into hiding.

“Either way,” Cunningham said, “he’s caught in this spiral.”

Several Democrats who knew him when he was in Congress believe the recent display is who Weiner actually is — an unvarnished version, perhaps, stripped of the protection of a government office and membership to the Washington club, but the real Weiner nonetheless.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yes, nothing says being raised tough on the mean streets of the big city like tweeting out pictures of your Johnson to underage girls.

Adjoran on July 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Well, at least now there’s a chance of a GOP mayor in NYC again. I’ve a feeling that Spitzer and Pauly Shore will cancel each other out if one of them doesn’t quit. And I’m guessing either side is saying “why should I quit when the other guy did stuff that was just as scandalous?”

The Republican runner in this race would be foolish not to take advantage of this.

TMOverbeck on July 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Is that why you haven’t quit sexting, Weiner? Is that really the way NYC rolls? God help them if they’re vapid enough to elect you.

blackgriffin on July 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

We?

TimBuk3 on July 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Well, at least now there’s a chance of a GOP mayor in NYC again.

TMOverbeck on July 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Joe Lhota is running for Mayor of New York City as a Republican who has also received the Nomination of the Conservative Party.

You can learn more about Joe Lhota at his campaign website:

Joe Lhota gave an excellent interview on Sean Hannity’s radio show yesterday. He sounded both articulate and experienced.

If you live in New York, please let us all know what you think of Joe Lhota.

I look forward to the day when we spend more time talking about Joe Lhota and less time talking about Anthony’s Weiner.

Note: I have also seen references to
- John A. Catsimatidis running as a Republican with the additional Nomination of the Liberal Party
- George McDonald running as a Republican

wren on July 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM

bluegill on July 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM

’cause his name is Weiner… duh! Not every day you can post double entendres about the rise and fall of a d!ck.

Hill60 on July 31, 2013 at 4:19 PM

“. . . I will keep sexting tattooed whores and sending them pictures of my private parts! They are my private parts and I can reveal them to as many shanks as I wish! This is New York City and this what we do on the taxpayer’s dime while giving folks drinking a Big Gulp a nightstick shampoo before we Mirandize them. I will not quit and you cannot make me, not even Huma! Power is the goal! Complete and total power! Self respect? Concern for my wife and son? Never heard of them! This is New York City.”

Bubba Redneck on July 31, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Isn’t a Weiner roll called a pig in a blanket?

ironked on July 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I seem to recall a photograph of some firefighters hoisting the American flag amidst serious amounts of rubble. My guess is that is how most New Yorkers want to believe they “roll.”

Some sausage-nosed schlemiel who send digital pics of his schnutz is not even on the same page.

This loser needs to crawl into a closet and never be heard from again.

thejackal on July 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Maybe we should give him a chance? He did that entire video with his shirt on, after all.

virgo on August 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM