Paul to Christie: Let’s go ahead and ratchet this thing down a notch

posted at 5:41 pm on July 31, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

It was only yesterday that Sen. Rand Paul referred to Gov. Chris Christie as “the king of bacon” (ahem, alluding to the wasteful federal tax dollars headed to his state and often referred to as “pork,” I’m sure), after Christie had accused him of the same earlier in the day; alas, I was half-hoping this thing would escalate into Epic Rap Battles of History material before the week was out, but on the radio this morning, Paul thought it best to try and put some brakes on this thing before it starts careening out of control. Via Mediaite:

“I didn’t pick this recent fight with the governor down in New Jersey,” Paul said. “But I think the party does better if we have less infighting, so I would suggest if he wants to ratchet it down, I’m more than happy to.”

This isn’t to say Paul is done contrasting himself with what he views as more establishment Republican figures.

“I’ve been trying to help the national party to grow bigger, bring new people into it,” Paul said. “I’m the kind of candidate, if I were to be a national candidate, who says, ‘Young people, Republicans, we will protect your privacy, we do care about the internet, we do want to promote a strong national defense but a less aggressive foreign policy. I think if you see that, I think that will grow our party.”

And again on Fox News with Cavuto this afternoon, via Politico:

“With Gov. Christie it’s gotten a little too personal, so we’re ready to kiss and makeup,” the Kentucky Republican said to Fox’s Neil Cavuto. “I think it’s time to dial it down. I think we’ve got enough Democrats to attack and maybe Republicans can quit attacking Republicans.” …

“We’re going to have to patch things up. If we can sit down. I’m inviting him for a beer. Anytime he would like to come down and sit down at the pub right around the corner from the Senate and have a beer,” Paul told Cavuto. “We’ll formalize it, we’ll put it in writing but I think we could sit down and have a beer and mend things.”

“At times people have said Chris Christie has some libertarian leanings so it’s actually a little ironic that we see him criticizing libertarians in the party for libertarian influences, because some libertarians actually had high hopes that he had some libertarian leanings,” Paul added, joking that maybe they could meet on neutral ground, like Philadelphia, if necessary. “The offer to have a beer with Chris Christie stands. If he wants to break bread and see if we can find some common ground, I think it’ll help the party to not have us feuding.”

I do think it might be better to indeed put any personal animosity and back-and-forth aside, but whatever the case — this particular battle might be over, but the larger policy throwdown is just beginning. This issue is not going to go away, and indeed, will only gain momentum as 2016 approaches and the Republican party makes some serious choices. Might as well start having it out now, no?

Comments

Notice it is always the more-conservative that wants to ratchet it down.

Steve Eggleston on July 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM

So tired of these internal GOP fighting…

OmahaConservative on July 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Might as well start having it out now, no?

If only for the sake of blog traffic…

JohnGalt23 on July 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM

You just need to learn how to stoke the fires of animosity better. Observe:

Alternative headline: RAND PAUL ENDORSES GAY MARRIAGE. MAKES OUT WITH POPE.

Stoic Patriot on July 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I’d rather have the debate about the future of the party now. Do we join McCain in the surrender caucus made up of mostly old professional politicians. Or do we go a different way?

Happy Nomad on July 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Is “the party” worth saving if it includes people like Christie in it?

kim roy on July 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM

So tired of these internal GOP fighting…

OmahaConservative on July 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Then tell Christie to STFU and join his friends in the Demonrat party. A man that dry humps the rat-eared coward and endorses him days before the election shouldn’t even still have a say as a “Republican” because the fat bastard is clearly working against all my principles. The sooner he has his first heart attack the better. So he will finally shut that disgusting pie hole of his for a change.

Happy Nomad on July 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I’m sure Christie will seek Hussein’s opinion before accepting Paul’s invitation !

burrata on July 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I’m not interested in you or your father’s isolationist crap… Ask 16 Million dead Jews what they thought about America keeping it’s nose out of other people’s business.

I’m more interested in a President that will kick the ass of the Dictators and Oppressors quickly, show the world we will not stand idly by while innocent civilians are slaughtered, but that we also won’t spend a decade occupying your nation. Freedom comes with personal responsibility… Isolationism leaves us alone in a corner while our enemies surround the gates.

Am I my brother’s keeper? Perhaps not, but I will be his liberator.

Kaptain Amerika on July 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Hey let’s face it Christy was looking okay until he threw in with Obama on the eve of the election. I’m glad to know who he is early on.

DanMan on July 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM

“I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.+

-George Bernard Shaw

Good for you Sen. Paul

portlandon on July 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Christie is a Republican? Who knew?

Bitter Clinger on July 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM

“I’m the kind of candidate, if I were to be a national candidate,

Was the question what he would do as a presidential candidate, or was this a Freudian slip?

Dongemaharu on July 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

DanMan on July 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I never thought he was looking okay. He’s from New Jersey! At best he is Christie Todd Whitman neutral (do they tag all three Republicans in NJ with the label Christie?)

His dry hump endorsement of the rat-eared coward on the eve of the election only affirmed what I knew about the fat bastard all along.

Happy Nomad on July 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM

This needs to be hashed out now, not during the 2016 primary.
We are fighting for the direction of the party.
Do we want the McCain/Rubio/Paul/Christie/FatBush/Rove/ wing to take charge against Hillary or do we want a conservative who will not apologize for being American and putting Americans and the constitution first?
Third strike for rinos and they need to be shouted down.

HornetSting on July 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Am I my brother’s keeper? Perhaps not, but I will be his liberator.

Kaptain Amerika on July 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I’m not the isolationist that Paul Sr is, but don’t think that the US should be the world’s policemen and go sort out everyone else’s civil wars, especially for people that hate us.

It’s not worth the lives nor the money. You speak of “personal responsibility”, then perhaps these people that need “liberating” should find some and take care of their own houses rather than expecting the US to shed its citizen’s blood.

kim roy on July 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM

“I’m going to have to go ahead and sort of..disagree with you”

hisfrogness on July 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Seems like Christie is trying to build up his North East RINO street cred by picking a fight with the ‘crazy’ libertarian from Kentucky.

supernova on July 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Very good question Erika..Now seems as good as any..:)

Dire Straits on July 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM

kim roy on July 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Yeah but sometimes strategy that is in our national interest really needs to include intervention (for lack of a better word). Fight the enemy there or prepare to fight the enemy here.

The rat-eared coward has proven the folly of picking winners and losers among warring factions in a particular nation state. No consistency, no chance of it ending well.

Happy Nomad on July 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM

just a couple of GOP Whacko Birds. As if the GOP has any chance of stopping the avalanche of Marxist sentiment in the Good Ol’ USSA.

kirkill on July 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Is it fair to say that Rand is the bigger man?

EddieC on July 31, 2013 at 6:13 PM

They don’t have to agree. There is no need to be disagreeable.

Christie needs to behave himself. Paul shouldn’t rise to the bait.

It would be a good idea for all on the Right half of the spectrum to show some civility. The name-calling suggests a person without rational arguments. You know, like a Democrat. Not holding my breath.

novaculus on July 31, 2013 at 6:13 PM

The bigger man.

rrpjr on July 31, 2013 at 6:17 PM

well maybe they can start by agreeing the our Leftist-in-Chief needs to be attacked daily. Like Greg Gutfield did today on the Five

barry’s arrogant, marxist-leaning, snark about the ’50′ jobs that Keystone would create Should Warrant Mockery everywhere, on every TV that an R is on

Gutfield’s rant was so good, that the leftist Beckel was insulted…and said he needed to think about what he said. Oh goodie…time for Bob to clutch his Pearls…truth hurts, Bob

And, so, if Chris wants to man up and join Rand…i’d say let’s have a joint communique about how barry doesn’t much like capitalism, and that borrowing billions to hire 10M people to dig a hole, and then re-fill it, doesn’t work…cf. Soviet Union

let’s not be prissy guys…get into the fight

r keller on July 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM

novaculus on July 31, 2013 at 6:13 PM

What bull crap! The GOP has been too civil for years. The old guard is too comfortable with the power and prestige to remember those who got them into office. Obamacare is about the worst public policy disaster ever. But it isn’t idiots like Christie that is taking it on. Civility is over-rated and usually stressed by appeasers.

Happy Nomad on July 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Nice of Rand to try and be a gentleman. However, we ain’t gonna have peace in the valley while RINOs are out poisoning the well. Just look at McAss’s antics lately.

arnold ziffel on July 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Happy Nomad on July 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I understand what you are saying and agree to a point, but I haven’t seen many that I would trust to make that decision, both on the left OR the right.

Many on the R side are just as “judgmentally challenged” as Obama.

kim roy on July 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Time to ratchet it up a notch – McAmnesty got his usual Gang of Six (himself, Ayotte, Collins, Grahamnesty, Kirk and a flip-flopping Murkowski) to vote for cloture on rewarding the top guy on Fast and Furious, acting ATF director Byron Todd Jones, with a permanent spot as ATF director despite an open investigation into his (alleged) retaliation against whistleblowers while he was a US Attorney in Minnesota.

They’re waiting for Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND) to show up and provide vote #60.

Steve Eggleston on July 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM

r keller on July 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Yeah, the line about the only jobs the rat-eared coward has generated are among those tabulating the number of unemployed was a great one.

Beckel’s response that they had to be careful about the language they used on the show was absurd.

Happy Nomad on July 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Is it fair to say that Rand is the bigger man?

EddieC on July 31, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I wouldn’t, Paul was losing and doing nothing but serving Christie and the left’s interests in the process. It was smart of him to call it quits, but then it was smart for Christie to pick a fight with him so I wouldn’t say he was the smarter man either.

jarodea on July 31, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Many on the R side are just as “judgmentally challenged” as Obama.

kim roy on July 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Okay, let’s make this more simple. And I don’t disagree with your skepticism.

Do you know why the USS Cole blew up? Because some bright spark in the State Department thought we needed to show the flag in Yemen and the Cole should stop there for refueling instead of doing so by a Navy oiler. That was stupid.

Do you know why we still have troops in South Korea? Because any offensive action against the S. Korean economy would effect our own. It is a reasonable approach.

Rand Paul needs to convince me that he isn’t as crazy as his isolationist dad before I can support him. Limiting foreign operations isn’t bad but it shouldn’t be the principle ideology either.

Happy Nomad on July 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Many on the R side are just as “judgmentally challenged” as Obama.

kim roy on July 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM

+ 10..I agree..We need to use our best judgement as I know you will..:)

Dire Straits on July 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Okay, let’s make this more simple. And I don’t disagree with your skepticism.

Happy Nomad on July 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I think we’re on cross lines about the level of intervention. I think it’s important to keep people in places like South Korea just for discouragement. However, I don’t think we need to be “liberators” as the OP was stating.

As for Paul, from what I’ve seen he’s not as extreme as his father and certainly knows he can’t be if he wants to run for President. We’ll see and nothing wrong with being skeptical.

kim roy on July 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Dire Straits on July 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Good to see you about, Dire. :)

kim roy on July 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Before the last election I said I was fine with tabling the fight until after. This is after. I think the fight is just being joined. My two cents. The fat man opened his pie hole and walked right into the obvious trap. Paul has played him. Bully’s always end up looking small. Hows that whole stomach belt thing working? Paul just saved you some effort. ; )

Bmore on July 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM

The party is broken. They offer nothing as a group against 0. Let the fight continue. Screw em all. Primary every last damn one of them.

Bmore on July 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Funny thing is, Paul/Christie would be a hell of a national ticket.

Greek Fire on July 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

kim roy on July 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Please continue to be skeptical..:)

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on July 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Funny thing is, Paul/Christie would be a hell of a national ticket.

Greek Fire on July 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

No chance of that, they are opposites.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

So, the series Jake and the Fat Man just got cancelled?

Wait, that looks more like Cruz than Paul… A sequel?

Fallon on July 31, 2013 at 7:03 PM

As usual..the better man extends a hand. Rand should know better given how well that’s worked for the GOP during the past 5 years.

celt on July 31, 2013 at 7:28 PM

And if he refuses your beer offer….release the Kracken!

KirknBurker on July 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

No chance of that, they are opposites.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Sort of like Reagan/Bush (remember, “voodoonomics” didn’t come from Carter’s team).

Steve Eggleston on July 31, 2013 at 7:49 PM

That’s only thing I envy about Democrats is that they never have these problems. The worst they have are personality conflicts. Ideologically, it’s always full retard. There won’t be any Manchins or Liebermans challenging Hillary from the right in 2016.

In fairness, why would they ever tack right? The got the biggest left-wing nutjob in history elected twice, and they only think their policies fail when they weren’t socialist enough.

crrr6 on July 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM

The person with the strongest character usually initiates peace. This is a very telling exchange. What do we want leading our country? More of the same?

eaglesdontflock on July 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Kaptain Amerika on July 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM

are you for real or are you a schtick?

8 weight on July 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Let the fight continue. Screw em all. Primary every last damn one of them.

Bmore on July 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I agree. I love these fights. Let’s have it out.

rrpjr on July 31, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I agree. I love these fights. Let’s have it out.

rrpjr on July 31, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Frankly, it reminds me of the Ford Reagan fights of the 1970s. Establishment country club liberal/moderate facing real conservative principles. Ford hated Reagan for challenging him in 1976. Which one has had the more lasting legacy (though I respect them both)?

Happy Nomad on July 31, 2013 at 8:40 PM

No chance of that, they are opposites.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Not saying it’s realistic, only that it’s a pretty powerful combination. Chris Christie barnstorming Ohio saying “Rand Paul is the man you want!” seems exceptionally remote at this point. Just think if Ted Cruz ran, your veep wouldn’t be Mike Lee or Allen West, you’d get a Mark Kirk or Mitch Daniels.

Greek Fire on July 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I will NEVER vote for Chris Krispy.

He wants to take away my guns.

fossten on July 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Paul to obama’s Canned Ham: Let’s go ahead and ratchet this thing down a notch, before you have a stroke.

Pork-Chop on July 31, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Paul debating him just raises Christie’s stature, which is so far not established. It’s unclear that he is helping conservatism anywhere.

If he could deliver some conservative success in New Jersey, maybe then it would be worth hearing what he has to say.

virgo on August 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM

RP realized that he is fighting with a guy who doesn’t have the lucidity to understand that they both lose in a fight like this. Christie is that kind of guy we’ve all been in a rhetorical fight at one time or another, who doesn’t care if both sides are completely destroyed, as long as he’s the one who “WINNNNNNNNNNNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

He must have been abused as a child. He’s still looking for that win that finally heals his soul. Kinda like a junkie who is still looking for that “good” fix, the one that doesn’t go away. The best thing you can do with people like that is to noe be near them.

Dirty Creature on August 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM