George Zimmerman pulled over for speeding, media deeply interested for some reason

posted at 6:21 pm on July 31, 2013 by Allahpundit

TMZ broke the story (“STILL PACKING HEAT”) and now it’s been picked up by, among others, CBS, USA Today, Reuters, the Washington Times, and even Britain’s Daily Mail.

Why is this news?

Zimmerman told the officer that he had a weapon in his glove compartment and was going “nowhere in particular,” said Brian Brooks, city manager of Forney, Texas, about 25 miles southeast of Dallas, where Zimmerman was stopped.

The gun in the glove box is legal in Texas, and police routinely ask motorists if they have weapons in the car, Brooks said. He said the entire stop lasted less than five minutes.

“It wasn’t for super-excessive speeds, they just got him on regular speeding,” Brooks said. “It’s a pretty routine stop except for the fact that it was George Zimmerman.”…

Zimmerman, 29, who is white and Hispanic, was found not guilty of murder and manslaughter on July 13 in Florida after a racially charged trial in the shooting of Martin in February 2012. Thousands of people demonstrated across the United States after the verdict.

Not even a story about a routine traffic stop, where he wasn’t so much as ticketed, can be spared the eternal “white Hispanic” mention. The “news” here, I guess, is that Zimmerman’s got himself a new gun and is riding around with it. (TMZ’s lede: “George Zimmerman is still armed and theoretically dangerous.”) Why anyone would be surprised that a guy facing thousands of death threats is carrying is unclear. But I guess if, like Piers Morgan, you’re intent on believing for your own political reasons that Zimmerman is a murderer despite what Florida cops, a Florida jury, and the vast bulk of the evidence say, then yeah, obviously you’ll be pretend-concerned to be reminded that he’s out there, just waiting to trick an unsuspecting teen into bashing his head against the sidewalk as a pretext to shooting him. Or maybe I’m giving them too much credit. Maybe this is just the media equivalent of a BOLO, to remind Zimmerman that no matter where he goes, his whereabouts will be publicized. If they can’t get him on a murder charge, they can at least make sure he sleeps with one eye open. TMZ was even nice enough to post the dashboard-cam photo of Zimmerman’s truck and to note that he was traveling without a disguise. Better not turn the lights out tonight, murderer.

Here’s the real news: Why is a guy whose life is in danger driving around by himself, without any attempt to conceal his identity, heading “nowhere in particular”? And why would he do something as stupid as speeding, knowing that even the most minor legal infraction might reveal his whereabouts? (I don’t know why the cops in Texas decided to alert the media about a traffic stop that didn’t result in even a fine, but you can guess the motives in leaking.) I can understand him not wanting to hole up round-the-clock in a safe house like a trapped rat, but that’s mighty foolish given his notoriety. At least bring someone with you if you’re going out.

In other Zimmerman news, the Smithsonian Institution is hoping to racialize this case, which even the Martin family’s own lawyer said wasn’t about race,for posterity. The Teachable Moment will be taught, whether the facts support it or not.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Fair fight?
No such thing unless you’re a ring matched up against someone of equal size and skills and a set of rules that both are willing to follow.

Otherwise – as a retired Army SF co-worker of mine says of military tactics – “if you find yourself in a fair fight – you didn’t plan properly”.

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM

No such thing unless you’re in a ring

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM

FIFM

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM

In 2011, 728 people would have said smurf is defenseless pacifist moron who will likely end up dead – if they were still alive….

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Based on your comments so far, I’d bet you would wet yourself, and cry and let him beat you to death without ever fighting back.

dentarthurdent o

This video is a pretty good example of how smurf would react in a similar situation.

xblade on August 1, 2013 at 1:11 AM

xblade on August 1, 2013 at 1:11 AM

ROFL!!
Ya – I think that about covers it…..

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 1:22 AM

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM

So true. One of my acquaintances used to say,

“We want to make ‘clubbing baby seals’ look like the Marquis of Queensbury.”

PolAgnostic on August 1, 2013 at 1:22 AM

PolAgnostic on August 1, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Ya – my attitude has changed over the years – as criminals have gotten more violent.
I’m now leaning in a direction fairly well described by a t-shirt I just bought at a gun show:
“The hardest thing about the zombie apocalypse will be pretending I’m not really excited”. (with a silhouette of a scoped rifle)

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 1:28 AM

It really irritates me how soooooo many people on this site use the word “troll” a troll is someone who comes into an online conversation and tries to drive it off course by changing the subject matter.

On hotair.com your not allowed to have an opinion that goes against the majority or you’re a “troll”. Even if you’re a 100% on topic. Dissent from the popular talking points aren’t allowed.

You guys talk bad about left leaning people here for having an opinion that differs from yours but thats why some people like the internet, some people enjoy conversing with those of different opinions, thats how you learn new things.

The real small minded people are only those who cant function outside of an echo chamber.

Anyway, like I said eariler. The media reports on his speeding ticket for the same reason this blogger blogged it. Its obvious it gets views/clicks for your channel/site.

I do find it interesting that this is the second time Zimmerman has been in the spot light less than a month after his aqquital though. He needs to take some notes from Casey Anthony.

A jury found her innocent as well….

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Poli r u drankin? Iron Fist Rule hereby invoked.

Christien on August 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM

A jury found her innocent as well….

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM

In smurf’s case, I don’t know about the troll tag by some – he stayed for a long time – but he quoted lib/Dem/race-hustler talking points and claimed to be a conservative who ONLY listened to Rush and Hannity – while making personal attacks on GZ – which a real conservative wouldn’t do – not the most believable storyline ….

But to your comments – he should NOT have helped rescue those people from a rollover wreck? Just drove on by and ignored the situation?
And – he should know exactly where ALL potential speed traps across the country might be, right?

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Christien on August 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM

If he’s defending the terminally obtuse, uninformed and redundant Murf?

Perhaps

PolAgnostic on August 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Im not defending anyone. Im strictly speaking in factual terms. Google the definition of internet troll. Its NOT simply anyone who disagrees with the majority view. And no of course he should help someone in a wreck and people do get speeding tickets but you dont find it just a bit shocking that he keeps ending up in the news. I guess I just assumed he’d go spend a few months on a beach down in Mexico or something the way his lawyer had explained he was fearing for his life.

Like I preluded to in my last post most high profile defendents manage to stay out the public eye for a while, this guy is just always is the wrong place at the right time or right place at the wrong time lol. He mind as well play the lotto!. Imagine the next headline… “Zimmerman wins Mega Millions while getting a slurpee in Florida”

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM

BTW – do you really think the latest news is actually HIS fault?
How many people have their traffic stop WARNINGS splashed across the national news?
I’ve had my share of speeding tickets (and just paid the price for those that were valid), and some warnings, and one ticket that I fought in court and won. But getting stopped with an out of state plate in a small Texas town apparently known for speed traps is NOT newsworthy for ANYONE, and certainly NOT his fault.
Come on – get real….

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 1:58 AM

And it’s HIS fault because lots of people are constantly looking for him – and reporting on his every move?
Have you considered he might actually be TRYING to stay out of the news but too many people are after him and trying to find anything they can? He was in the middle of nowhere in Texas for cryin out loud, and someone still blabbed about what he’s doing.
I personally think he would very much like to get away and totally out of the news, but people just won’t let him disappear.

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Oh and he doesn’t need to know where all the speed traps are. How about just dont speed?! Lol. I moved from WA to Utah where the speed limit went from 60 to 65 so Im constantly going 5 under here simply by force of habit. When I do go across the country I personally go no more than 5 miles above the posted sign but ive realized im pretty relaxed behind the wheel. A lot of people have road rage for some reason..

Nothing funnier then seeing a guy speed up to pass you only to stop at the same red light you’re at.

Hurry up and wait I guess. ..

But anyway, lol…

My moneys on him popping up some where out west next..

“Zimmerman saves boy choking on candy at boat dock in California”

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Google “Casey Anthony” and tell me again she’s NOT in the news.
But she’s not in the headlines because she’s old news – and a white girl who was acquitted of killing her own white daughter at that – so not exactly what the race-hustling scandal-seeking media is looking for in headlines these days.

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Thats our culture I guess..

24\7\365..

Oh well. Im sure he’ll be glad when his 15 minutes runs out.

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 2:08 AM

R.I.P Caley…

Such a sad story..smh.

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Ya – right. Sometimes, in some places, it doesn’t matter – there are cops who will find any excuse, or make one up for an excuse to stop and possibly ticket someone.
See the article about the Auburn Alabama cop – and their quotas.

Sometimes people just have a period of time in their lives when anything that can go wrong will go wrong…..

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 2:12 AM

“Zimmerman saves boy choking on candy at boat dock in California”

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 2:06 AM

And you would blame GZ for that and say it’s his fault?

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Oh well. Im sure he’ll be glad when his 15 minutes runs out.

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I fully agree with that.
I personally doubt he wants all this attention, and I think he would love to just disappear into the obscurity of a routine non-newsworthy daily life.

dentarthurdent on August 1, 2013 at 2:17 AM

For the simple minded tough guy troll who thinks Zimmerman is a pansy.

This was written by a cop in response to the question.

By what margin is one allowed to win a fight without going too far?

I submit that margin is somewhere short of straddling someone and punching their face while their head is on the ground concrete. That’s not a “win the fight” move, that’s a “finish him off” move.

I note that in my department’s annual training in defensive tactics, we are taught a technique to use if we find ourselves placed in that disadvantaged position. The urgency of getting out of that position is emphasized, due to the high likelihood of death or serious injury.

If able to get out of the grounded position, we are trained to disengage, create a reactionary gap, and draw our sidearm. Because the person who tried to pull a “ground & pound” has articulably demonstrated lethal intent.

If police officers are trained to regard a ground & pound as a deadly threat, I fail to see how a regular citizen would be unreasonable for doing the same.

I added the “concrete” part.

farsighted on July 31, 2013 at 10:39 PM

To your comments I would add that 51,000 people die in the US each year from head injuries. That’s nearly 5 times as many as those who die from gun shot wounds.

Why would you let someone inflict a head injury on you if you had the means to stop him? Especially if he has already inflicted 2 or 3 head injuries on you already?

Alberta_Patriot on August 1, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Thanks for reporting the non-news … next!

kregg on August 1, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Because shut up racist.

Good Lt on August 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM

if you want to highlight speeding violators, feature Brunswick, Ga. speed traps.But there’s more here than meets the eye. As MSNBC investigative reporters have discovered, Dallas is the HQ of the Hispanic-Jewish Chapter of the Ku Klux Klan so why was Zimmerman visiting the city? just a coincidence? And why, in the black of night, on a black-topped road was he following a black sedan driven by a black woman?

MaiDee on August 1, 2013 at 8:44 AM

After sixteen months of facing life in prison, I’d want just get into my car and cruise around nowhere in particular for a while. And when did Texas get speed limits? That place is becoming so left wing.

EricW on August 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I took a huge dump last night. Call the papers.

The Rogue Tomato on August 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Probably on his way to save a few more lives. He’s awful good at that.

Wagthatdog on August 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM

The MainStream Media is embarrassing itself.

avagreen on August 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

They need to upgrade their kneepads. This set, at this point, is showing some signs of wear.

avagreen on August 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM

He is a Unites States citizen and can travel where he wants to in the United States anytime he wishes and does not need or require your or anyone else’s permission.

Tell that to Trayvon Martin.

Politricks on July 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Can’t, he stalked a guy he thought was a gay rapist then jumped him in the middle of the night.

Bad move.

Wagthatdog on August 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I bet if Zimmerman was black, not only would he not have gotten off with only a warning, he would have been dragged out of his truck and beaten.

philoquin on July 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM

If he was black and in Chicago he’d probably already be dead.

Wagthatdog on August 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Why does he need to drive?

He’s fast enough to stalk a 17 year old football player isn’t he?

He’s a mexican Flash.

Wagthatdog on August 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I took a huge dump last night. Call the papers.

The Rogue Tomato on August 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM

No need; most newspaper people these days just take a dump on some paper and call that news.

And in other news, apparently George Zimmerman is the new Travelocity Gnome.

M240H on August 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Me thinks news media has too much time on the hands.

Wade on August 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I know exacty where he got pulled over; I’ve driven through there a zillion times. If he was on Highway 80, he must have been headed to see someone in Dallas – staying on I-20 is the better option if you want to avoid traffic going through DFW.

Ward Cleaver on August 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM

philoquin on July 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM

maybe he was stopped because he looked Hispanic…going 1 mile over the speed limit.

gracie on August 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM

The story actually appeared first on a local Web site (InForney.com), then it flowed out from there. The guy that runs the the site said he was hit with requests to use his content, and his site crashed due to traffic from people trying to get info.

Ward Cleaver on August 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Wondering if TMZ’s next article on their hero the Zero will begin:

“President Obama, who is white and black” …

One can dream.

BKennedy on August 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Is DoJ looking into this yet? Answers, dammit! I want answers!

morganfrost on August 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

On the up side – if the exact same “Trayvon” incident happens in Texas, and GZ yells for help – he will very probably actually GET it.

PJ Emeritus on August 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM

It really irritates me when someone starts quibbling and nitpicking about trolling and says that people are just calling someone who disagrees with them a troll.

Want definitions? Here ya’ go sport

1. troll

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

1. trolling

Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it’s the internet and, hey, you can.

Examples…

I dunno. If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say he’s probably a moron. I mean, consider the stupidity of the incident that made him infamous to begin with. Eventually, I expect there’s going to be a whole lot of people feeling pretty embarrassed about standing up for this guy.

Murf76 on July 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Shot any teenagers lately because you were too much of a pantywaist to hold your own in an altercation that you caused by stalking someone? /sarc

THAT’s the kind of rocket scientist involved here. Not surprised he’s out doing something stupid again.

Murf76 on July 31, 2013 at 7:05 PM

If the Martin-Zimmermna case had just occurred a few days ago, little was known, and the facts were sparse and ever changing it might be different.

But it was about 18 months ago and we just went through a three week televised trial. It can be watched on the internet.

There is a lot known about what happened, about Zimmerman, and about Martin. Many facts were entered into evidence in the trial and much testimony was presented.

There have been many, many threads on HA about it in the past month, and there have been many posters here who just repeated the talking points, lies, falsehoods, and untruths that the libs/MSM/lefties have been spreading, with little else to offer in the way of rational discussion.

So when someone jumps into a thread and makes those two posts and presents little more than the lies the libs are still spreading, the reaction is predictable

farsighted on August 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Dude is going to have to get a new vehicle and a new driver’s license because now everyone knows what vehicle he drives and what his DL number is.

dczombie on August 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

It is very annoying when a long post goes into moderation and you have no idea why.

farsighted on August 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I see this as good news for George. The last news on him before this was ‘Eric Holder takes away George Zimmerman’s gun’. Now the news is, -’George Zimmerman still packing heat’. This will give gangstas looking for revenge for Saint Trayvon second thoughts, since they prefer to take on unarmed citizens.

slickwillie2001 on August 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Murf76 on July 31, 2013 at 10:08 PM

No, St. Skittles had no gun – but when he noticed GZ’s he went for it and said “You’re gonna die tonight, MF”

Keep WILLFULLY ignoring the facts – moron

PJ Emeritus on August 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I took a huge dump last night. Call the papers.

The Rogue Tomato on August 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM

My parakeets won’t even dump on the newspaper anymore.

Wade on August 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Oh, look. The race baiting bigoted troll shows up out of nowhere and drops an unrelated turd. No doubt it is trying to change the subject to one of its two favorite subjects and obsessions — the evils of capitalism and white racism America.

That link will get no hit from me.

farsighted on August 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Just when you think it’s safe the industrial strength stupid shows up

PJ Emeritus on August 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Im [sic] not defending anyone. Im sic] strictly speaking in factual terms. Google the definition of internet troll. Its [sic] NOT simply anyone who disagrees with the majority view. And no [sic] of course he should help someone in a wreck and people do get speeding tickets but you dont [sic] find it just a bit shocking that he keeps ending up in the news. [sic] I guess I just assumed he’d go spend a few months on a beach down in Mexico or something the way his lawyer had explained he was fearing for his life.

Like I preluded [sic] to in my last post most high profile defendents [sic] manage to stay out the public eye for a while, this guy is just always is the wrong place at the right time or right place at the wrong time lol. He mind [sic] as well play the lotto!. Imagine the next headline… “Zimmerman wins Mega Millions while getting a slurpee in Florida” [sic]

Politricks on August 1, 2013 at 1:58 AM

There are several kinds of trolls, including your kind . . . i.e., those who post inane or often incoherent comments [e.g., “Like I preluded …”] which ill-conceived “thoughts” are intended to deflect the conversation onto meaningless side topics. Take for example, your foolish suggestion that George Zimmerman somehow keeps ending up in the news because he is apparently a publicity hound.

On one of exactly two such occasions, he ended up in the news because he was thoughtful enough to try to save the life of a family trapped in an over-turned car in Sanford Florida. What a publicity hound, huh? How dare he think to come to the aide of others, whilst a minority of seething, hate-filled, low-life people continue to wish him ill! What nerve!

The only other time in which he has ended up in the “news” was on the otherwise inconsequential occasion of having been pulled over by a patrol officer in Texas for an obviously minor speeding infraction — and it had to be minor, as the officer let him off with a warning. Have you ever been pulled over in an out-of-state jurisdiction, and either been issued a ticket or a warning, depending primarily on the seriousness of the infraction and/or your level of cooperation? More than once?

But somehow, you unconvincingly posted a comment here having seen that as seeking publicity. Sorry, but that makes you look like a fool — in addition to being a troll.

Trochilus on August 1, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Wow, really? We’re not allowed to call a troll a troll because you don’t think he meets your chosen Wikipedia definition of troll? From Wikipedia:

a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community

Application of the term troll is subjective.

Don’t make me explain to you what “or” means, citizen. It’s a bit early for Captain Obvious to meet his daily quota.

CapnObvious on August 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM

farsighted on August 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Good comment!

The two idiotic troll comments from Murf76 certainly did not deserve any sort of response. You successfully avoided doing that by merely posting them as obvious examples of the lowest forms of trollery.

CapnObvious on August 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM

“citizen” . . . heh!

Trochilus on August 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Um, maybe he knew it was more than possible that his answer would be picked up by the media and thus declined to broadcast his future location to the people who would like to kill him?

Missy on August 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Missy on August 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Obviously George knew better than to answer that question directly! That was because he was very likely aware he was being recorded, and he would have no control over the distribution or release of the recording.

He guessed correctly. But he also figured out a way to alert the officer as to why he was not specifically answering a question about exactly where he was headed — he simply asked him to look at his name again. The officer did and got it, and he didn’t press the point.

Take a look at the officer as he walked up to the vehicle to engage George in the conversation. He stops, holds up his walkie-talkie in his right hand and links it as a live audio recording device back to the dash cam. You can hear the connecting “beep.” That action was clearly visible to Mr. Zimmerman.

Most such police patrol vehicles, especially those on Interstate highways (it was on I-80), are fully equipped with such dash cams with connecting audio capacity. Mr. Zimmerman likely knew that that was the case. So the way he handled it was entirely understandable, and I’d have to say quite intelligent.

He hd pulled well over and turned on his flashers, and when engaged in conversation he was responsive in a way that alerted the officer that he had a legitimate concern about saying exactly where he was headed, and he was entirely forthcoming about volunteering information regarding the presence of his firearm in the glove box. The officer walked back to his car, checked George’s claim of no outstanding warrants, and having verified the truth of Zimmerman’s statements, he exercised legitimate discretion by issuing him a warning.

George Zimmerman just gave us all a text book clinic on how to best handle a police stop for a minor traffic infraction.

Trochilus on August 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM