McCain: We don’t need 20,000 new Border Patrol agents but I voted for it anyway

posted at 4:21 pm on July 30, 2013 by Allahpundit

In case there was any lingering shred of doubt, yes, the big Corker/Hoeven border amendment that helped the Gang of Eight win 68 votes in the Senate is, by and large, security theater. Take it from Maverick:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) helped write the Senate’s immigration bill and voted for an amendment that would spend $46 billion on new border security measures, while doubling the size of the Border Patrol. But now, McCain admits the plan was simply meant to secure Republican votes and that he is open to other ways to secure the border.

“I’ll give you a little straight talk, we don’t need 20,000 additional border patrol agents,” the Arizona senator said at an event sponsored by the AFL-CIO.

“I voted for it so friends of mine would have comfort that we are securing the border,” McCain added. “But the real securing of the border is with technology as opposed to individuals, although we do certainly need individuals.”

What he means there, of course, is political “comfort,” something GOP senators could point to next month when conservatives back home demand an explanation for why they voted for such a terrible bill. That’s the problem with the Gang’s work product in a nutshell: The point was to Do Something, not to do something that’s carefully designed to reduce illegal immigration. I’ve written about this before (more than once) but I can’t get over the fact that on a subject whose effects on American life are as far-reaching as immigration, with millions of illegals potentially placed on a citizenship track and billions of dollars appropriated to securing the border, there was barely even a pretense among supporters that they were crafting a bill that was smartly targeted at the problems with the system. It was pure horse-trading to arrive at a “solution” that would grant amnesty — the key plank for both Democrats and Republicans — with enough border security theater tossed in to placate the right. Democrats treated it as some sort of major concession when Pat Leahy agreed to hold one hearing on immigration in the course of passing the bill. Other Democrats didn’t bother to find out if the bill would create incentives for employers to hire illegals over American citizens until after they’d voted for cloture. No doubt many Republicans were guilty too.

The entire process reeks with contempt for their actual job description, crafting effective policy. Re-read the excerpt above. You’ve got a U.S. senator from the GOP, who’s ostensibly ventilating conservative concerns about more effective border control, flatly admitting that he voted for an ineffective, wasteful policy for political reasons. (And it is largely ineffective. One of the main problems with illegal immigration post-reform will be with visa overstays, something thousands of extra Border Patrol will do little to prevent.) You could defend McCain by arguing that he knew when he voted for it that the Gang bill was DOA in the House and therefore the 20,000 BP were irrelevant, but ask yourself how upset he’d be if Boehner decided to say “to hell with the Hastert Rule” and brought the Gang bill to the floor for a vote. Would McCain object on grounds that they never really meant for those 20,000 to join the federal payroll? Of course not. In fact, arguably the most amazing thing about what he said here — at an AFL-CIO event, do note — is his de facto admission that the Border Patrol fig leaf that GOP senators will be touting next month is, indeed, a fig leaf. Why would any conservative accept it as a defense to selling out on immigration after this? Your leaders obviously don’t take their jobs seriously anymore. Why anyone would turn out to vote in November next year after this, whatever ends up emerging from Congress on immigration, is completely beyond me.

As a video bonus, here’s McCain once again helping to push a key Democratic talking point. The video was uploaded, naturally, by the DNC.

Comments

just love these little moments of truth. and he just cant fathom why no one trusts him,

chasdal on July 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I just hope these jobs go to veterans. You can throw any number of agents at the border but you’re never going to completely stop the flow of illegals, esp from countries in Latin America where the level of desperation is hard to quantify.

bayam on July 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

We don’t need a daughtering old fool in the Senate, but Arizona keeps voting for him anyway.

oldroy on July 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

This guy has to go. He’s become a democrat. I wonder what Obama and Holder have on him?

darwin on July 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM

MY FRIENDS!!!

I am not your friend.

kim roy on July 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Well, he ought to get slammed at the townhalls about stuff in the Bill that he doesn’t know or care about. The youtubes ought to be rife with him losing his temper at being grilled.

AH_C on July 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM

bayam on July 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Yeah, you can stop the flow of illegals. If we can put a man on the moon and rovers on Mars we can stop the flow of illegals. Unfortunately the collusion between big business and government has made it beneficial to them to not stop the flow.

Cheap labor and democrat votes = open border.

darwin on July 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM

What are they pointing at?

JellyToast on July 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM

20,000 new agents? And who said the government doesn’t create jobs?

philoquin on July 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

darwin on July 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM

rrrriiiight, cause this type of thing is so out of character for mccain that they must have caught him doing something scandalous,

chasdal on July 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

bayam on July 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Some of us are willing to settle for a 99% reduction.

“In practice, nobody has entered and the few who have arrived did not reach Israel’s cities,” he continued. “The fence has completely stopped illegal migration to Israel, but it also has an additional function — namely counterterrorism.”

sharrukin on July 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

McCain: We don’t need an additional 20,000 agents because all we’re doing is giving border security lip service.

voiceofreason on July 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Mr build the dang fence

Oh how I despise him

cmsinaz on July 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I didn’t vote for him

cmsinaz on July 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM

SB 877…

On the one hand, Section 5(b)(1):

Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall establish a strategy, to be known as the ‘Southern Border Fencing Strategy’ …

On the other hand, Section 5(b)(5):

Notwithstanding paragraph (1), nothing in this subsection shall require the Secretary to install fencing…

A strategy for doing nothing. Perfect.

This is such typical, SOP bullshit for the government.

Resist We Much on July 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Mr build the dang fence

Oh how I despise him

cmsinaz on July 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Same here. I have some questions for him, which he will never answer:

Senator John McCain: Please ‘Danged Fence’ Him In…

Resist We Much on July 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Oh how I despise him

cmsinaz on July 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I feel for ya’ darlin’
I used to have senators I despised…

OmahaConservative on July 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I thought it was funnier when someone asked him how many passports you could forge, (the answer is two) and still get to have legal provisional green card status.

That is what someone wrote in the bill that passed the Senate. You have to pass that bill to find out what is in it, John McCain. We won’t be having any of that, sorry.

Fleuries on July 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM

His grandpa and pa hate him, from their graves.

He is a disgust to the land.

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM

McCain/Schumer

Cantor/Menendez

Paul Ryan/Karl Rove

6 superturkeys of the USA

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM

May all the traitors of the land burn in the coldest layer of Hell, slowly.

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Good to know that McCain thinks border patrol agents are a form of psychotherapy.

Stoic Patriot on July 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Good ones rwm :)

cmsinaz on July 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM

The longer the Amnesty Bill is out there the more we learn; a lesson from Obamacare.

Tater Salad on July 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Hey OC

cmsinaz on July 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The question that needs to be asked of all GOP supporters is, “is this good policy, or good politics?”

Tater Salad on July 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM

“Let’s throw $ at to shut up the wacko birds” is essentially his position. Love our little taxpayers!

If he solves illegal immigration all we’re going to talk about his weight anyway.

LetsBfrank on July 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM

cmsinaz on July 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Remember, I had Feinstein and Ma’am for senators for years…

OmahaConservative on July 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM

“Finish the dang fence”

And yes AP, 50% of the illegal problem is the visa overstays, we get it. We still want the tall double wall concrete fence with an access road with the appropriate language in the law to make sure it happens. This was promised in the 80s and again in 2006. I’m tired of this sh!t.

toliver on July 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM

McCain/Schumer

Cantor/Menendez

Paul Ryan/Karl Rove

6 superturkeys of the USA

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM

You forgot Rubio and Flake … and Corker, Hoeven, Miss Lucy, Ayotte, Alexander and a few others

bw222 on July 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Do the Republicans he snookered feel okay with this, being played for suckers?

Liam on July 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM

McCain either needs to resign or visit dad and gramps.

bw222 on July 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I agree. And a special corner of hell… reserved and designed especially for them at that.

I’ll turn up to vote… but if the GOP continues along this vein, currying their own portfolio’s and scratching the backs of their fellow elitist club members of the political class rather than protecting the citizens and LEGAL immigrants of this nation and acting as our proxies in congress…. I’ll vote for the Democrats. It’s a sure means not only of putting those GOP congress members responsible for this ruinous bill and guilty of gross negligence and willfully shattering their duly sworn oath to serve their constituents and the nation out of the political class and back into the private sector… but it also puts a Democrat in their seat… and hastens the day when the people reject this behavior from both sides of the aisle and insists in TERM LIMITS to end this cronyism, reconstructs the parties, and returns control of the governance of this nation to its people.

When it comes to voting for a current member of the political class, with few and rare exceptions, be that individual GOP or Democrat… to quote an infamous and scurrilous woman, likely candidate for the 2016 presidential election:

“What difference, at this point, does it make?”

thatsafactjack on July 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM

What are they pointing at?

JellyToast on July 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM

They’re being used as Extras for the filming of
the Movie Fantasy Island..

Shumer is Fine Corinthian Leather Ricardo Mantalban,
AKA Mr. Rourke,

and McCain is Tattoo (Ze plane, Ze plane)
Pointing to the sky.

ToddPA on July 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

McCain has been going down hill since the “Keating Five” and he’s about to crash at the bottom.

rplat on July 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

thatsafactjack on July 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM

No difference, indeed :(

Answered you on last night’s thread.

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

If McCain had beaten Obama … I’m just trying to figure out how it would be any better.

It made me nauseous to vote for McCain. Now it makes me regretful and disgusted to remember that I did so. In some 25 years of voting, missing no regular elections, it is the only vote that I not only regret, but actually makes me ill.

deepdiver on July 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

bw222 on July 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM

You’re right…but I got you going, which is great :)

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I saw. :) I missed you there, just the same.

thatsafactjack on July 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

darwin on July 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM

chasdal on July 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

McCain got away with Keating.

JR on July 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I don’t respect him for the sacrifices he endured from his military service anymore. He’s vile now and that’s his fault.

DanMan on July 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I saw. :) I missed you there, just the same.

thatsafactjack on July 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

You manned it well, had no tunes in my head, and, rare occasion, nothing to contribute. I’ll try better tonight :)

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I hope you are well, my friend. I’ll look for you in the Glade this evening. :)

thatsafactjack on July 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM

thatsafactjack on July 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Thank you…as ok as we all are, in it together.

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM

This was a man, a mensch, and a real hero, compared to the scumbag McCain has become.

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM

deepdiver on July 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

35 years…Carter, but yeah that McCain vote was a hard one until Palin showed up. And hey, Carter is looking real good compared to Barack Insane Obama so my low threshold is raising!

DanMan on July 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Juan McCain… poster child for term limits — bottom of his class at Annapolis, made it on the family name… No wonder he doesn’t believe in meritocracy

phreshone on July 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM

McCain either needs to resign or visit dad and gramps.

bw222 on July 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Seconded.
I hate this pissant.

HornetSting on July 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

McCain: We don’t need 20,000 new Border Patrol agents but I voted for it anyway

One more bit of proof that Obama or the next establishment Republican President would somehow never get around to hiring those new Border Patrol agents.

Secure the Borders First!

RJL on July 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Can’t someone have that senile old man commit ed?

VorDaj on July 30, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Maverick my a$$. He’s a ruinous old dinosaur badly in need of a giant hurtling asteroid…

CaptFlood on July 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Other news…

A great American by the name of Colonel Bud Day passed away last weekend.

An All American Patriot will be missed.

b1jetmech on July 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM

McCain: “We don’t really need 30 million more foreign workers while we have 20 million unemployed American citizens, but who do you expect me to represent, anyway? My so-called constituents?? I’ve got big fat cat donors to worry about!!”

fred5678 on July 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM

McCain: We don’t need 20,000 new Border Patrol agents but I voted for it anyway
posted at 4:21 pm on July 30, 2013 by Allahpundit

What a POS! I’m almost glad Obama beat this political tool.

cajunpatriot on July 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM

What the push for amnesty has exposed is how useless and corrupt most of the GOP elites are.I’m talking about you McCain, Rubio, Cantor and Ryan.The elites have no intention of securing the border and stopping illegals who cost average American citizens money in the form of lower wages and higher taxes.This is about cheap labor for the 1% paid for by law abiding taxpaying citizens. The GOP disgusts me.I am watching and intend to hold the GOP responsible if there is any amnesty for ANY illegals including 30 year old “children” aka “dreamers”.

Hera on July 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM

What I can’t wrap my mind around is how the GOP has managed to ruin this opportunity to build trust with the American people.

Barack Obama and the Democrat party have shown their true nature. They’ve lied to our faces, called us foul names, ballooned the national debt. They’ve treated the people of this country with contempt. There’s never been a better time for the GOP to draw a stark contrast between us and them. And what have they done?… alienated their own base through perfidy and pandering.

How can you prove you’re a better alternative to the other guy… when you’re EXACTLY like the other guy?

Murf76 on July 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM

McCain (D-Ariz)

dddave on July 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Except that it doesn’t secure ANYTHING except Amnesty for illegals and a large number of low paid guest workers to take our few good paying tech jobs.

READ THE BILL.

DHS can do whatever they want. If the border will be secure then why does DHS have to conduct a study to figure out where to put 1000 beacon stations(emergency 011 service for illegals) the stations themselves and emergency crews to respond to distress calls.

This is tacit admission the border will not be secure.

McNumbNuts is a corrupt jackass.

dogsoldier on July 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM

011 should read 911

dogsoldier on July 30, 2013 at 6:38 PM

J. D. Hayworth… where are you now?

Hill60 on July 30, 2013 at 6:50 PM

And now this

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Did he send them to the Embassy?

dogsoldier on July 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM

McCain, you are such a lowlife. I used to think you might be a better leader than Obama, but I was wrong. And I was wrong to vote for you, too. You remind me of my mistake every time I see your ugly mug or hear your latest idiotic remarks.

mobydutch on July 30, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I’ll take new BP agents over John McCain any day!

GarandFan on July 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Those “20,000 new agents” are never going to be hired anyway;

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) signaled Tuesday that the dramatic boost in border-security in the Senate’s comprehensive immigration bill could be one of the provisions that may be changed in a potential House-Senate compromise.

During an immigration forum hosted by the AFL-CIO Tuesday, McCain – a key Senate Gang of Eight negotiator – said while a pathway to citizenship for the nation’s undocumented immigrants is a “fundamental element” of the bill, the “rest of it could be adjusted.” He singled out the border security parts as an example.

Translation;

We’ll get rid of that in the conference committee. ESAD, nativist scum.

The only other U.S. military officer I can compare McCain to would be George Custer. Who, let’s face it, was an idiot who got his entire command and himself killed by violating orders in a quest for his definition of personal glory. He should have stuck to being a cartographer. (And as a Buckeye, I hereby apologize for my state producing the dimwit.)

McCain simply does not care how much damage this does. He just wants to be popular with his buddies in the rarified airs of the upper crust. Since the Democrats want undocumented voters, and the big donors want undocumented workers, he’ll make sure they have them.

Keep in mind that in Atlas Shrugged, John Galt reserved most of his contempt for, not the looters, but his old professor who “went along” with them on the grounds that there was no point in resisting.

That’s pretty much how I feel about McCain now.

clear ether

eon

eon on July 30, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Amazing, this bill has only passed the Senate. It is not law yet, and they are already telling the people that they are not going to enforce the provisions of it. In 1986 they waited until they got amnesty before they let it be known that they were not going to enforce the laws. This lifetime ruling class needs to be bounced out on their butts.

savage24 on July 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM

John McCain = S4B (Shiite for brains)
How is it that so many senators are SO STUPID?

Oh and I’ve just returned from a trip across the country. Attending a funeral at Arlington for my Aunt who will be buried next to my WWII BG uncle of the 65th ID, (she made it to 97 so not cheated at all … they made them tough in the last century), and while there I drove all over the place.
In my travels I had a small epiphany.
The REAL reason there will be no meaningful solutions to our immigration situation is that anything that might rock the boat will cause the complete COLLAPSE of the economy in and around Washington, D.C. Doubt me? Go have a look (and listen).

Missilengr on July 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM

RINO MCCAIN NEEDS TO GET THE HELL OUT. HE IS MORE CLUELESS EVERY DAY THAT GOES ON.

ultracon on July 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM

bayam

Which is what we call a strawman. We don’t completely stop any other lawbreaking in this country either, so why is such an impossible feat required when it comes to illegal immigration? The only people who demand 100% effectiveness are amnesty supporters who argue that since these measure won’t stop everyone, then the only viable solution is to pass amnesty instead. It’s a silly argument, but then, what do you expect from silly amnesty supporters?

xblade on July 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM

What are they pointing at?

JellyToast on July 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM

…I don’t know!…but I know where they can put those fingers!….they just need to position themselves!

KOOLAID2 on July 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM