Ted Cruz: I stand with Rand Paul against Chris Christie’s attacks

posted at 2:41 pm on July 29, 2013 by Allahpundit

He’s light on specifics here about the pros and cons of the NSA program as he sees them, but any time three serious contenders for 2016 are in a scrum over national security and civil liberties, it’s blogworthy. More than that, it’s blogworthy because the Paul/Cruz Senate partnership is to some extent a proxy for the tea-party/libertarian partnership generally. It won’t go on forever, but it’s fascinating while it lasts. I won’t bore you with rehashing why I think Cruz is more a tea partier than a true blue libertarian; read these two posts if you care, or read Nick Gillespie for the libertarian take on why Cruz doesn’t really belong in the movement. Wherever you think Cruz lies on the ideological spectrum, though, he’s a shrewd judge of where his base stands on the issues. And in this case, he’s right in thinking that they Stand With Rand too.

In fact, before you watch the clip below, go back and watch this very short clip of Cruz on “Fox & Friends” in mid-June, after Edward Snowden’s PRISM revelations. He was asked what he thinks of NSA surveillance — and his response was basically noncommittal. He said the program is “cause for concern” but cautioned that we shouldn’t rush to judgment; his main worry about the program seemed to be that Obama might abuse it to target his political enemies. By contrast, Rand Paul had already announced a week before that he hoped to sue the NSA program into oblivion. Why is Cruz firmly with Rand now when he wasn’t before? Could be that the accumulation of leaks about what the feds are doing has finally driven him firmly into the libertarian camp, but the most damaging stuff that Snowden had — the details of government spying on Americans — had already leaked by the time of his F&F appearance. Paul, as I said, had already seen more than enough to demand a class action lawsuit against the feds by that point.

What you’re seeing here, I think, is Cruz executing the opposite of Paul’s 2016 strategy. Paul’s really a doctrinaire libertarian who’s inched towards mainstream righties on some issues (most notably immigration) because he knows he needs a broader coalition to be viable for the nomination. Cruz is really a tea partier who’s inched towards doctrinaire libertarianism on some issues (most notably drones and the NSA) because he recognizes TPers have become more libertarian and because he’s hoping to pick up Paul’s supporters in the primaries if/when he emerges as the right-wing choice against the establishment. It’s a smart strategy. Expect Rubio and Scott Walker to become more libertarian-friendly over the next year or two also. Click the image to watch.

tc1

Comments

Brothers. Great article, really insightful.

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Somewhere, Ron Paul smiles…

JohnGalt23 on July 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Trashfish, hardest hit.

Resist We Much on July 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Togher, They still don’t outweigh Christie.

portlandon on July 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Positioning.

Its tiresome watching politicians stakeout their support/don’t support positions. Its not all that different than watching square dancing.

You know, use the whole floor, trade partners, smile a lot, etc…

And then when the music stops, everybody sits down like one big happy family and eats Bar-B-Que.

BobMbx on July 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Great, we have to worry about McChristie now.

Oil Can on July 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I stand with Rand Paul against Chris Christie’s attacks

We gonna have a GOP gang war even before the 2014 campaign season?

Happy Nomad on July 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Christie is only libertarian in his menu choices.

CRUZ-WEST 2016.

profitsbeard on July 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Okay, I’m going to be a broken record. Why not come out against NSA programs. First they have been compromised and second, you can’t convince me that they worked in the first place. Now the broken record part, we have had Ft. Hood, inside job, and Boston, that wasn’t stopped even with two assists from Russia. And although I don’t know them chapter and verse but haven’t we had several other attacks that were minimal only due to incompetence? There at least needs to be some perimeters and something other than a kangaroo rubber stamp court for NSA to go on, it has obviously gotten so big that it can’t be successful.

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM

…but I find Paul’s call for the party to tilt libertarian to be foolish. It won’t work. There simply is no great libertarian ground swell out there.

The party base supports the Patriot Act, and Paul will get nowhere with his paranoia about anti-terror surveillance. Christie will eat meek, dull Rand alive on this, and that’s why we need a real conservative like Cruz to take out Christie. Christie may be fat, but Cruz has bigger balls won’t back down in the face of bigmouth Christie.

No thanks. I’ll go with the guy who speaks for me and excites me and fights for what’s right. Right now a guy I see doing that and doing it well is the new senator from Texas.

bluegill on July 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

And why do you pose that false choice. It’s either liberal RINO Christie or amnesty squish libertarian Paul?

No thanks. I’ll pass on both.

I’ll take a fierce, capable conservative like Cruz, instead.

bluegill on July 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Not enthusiastic about Rand Paul.

I also don’t trust him. I think his views may be a lot closer to his dad’s than he is willing to admit.

For those who support tough anti-terrorism measures and a strong national defense, Rand Paul is NOT the best we can do.

bluegill on July 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Resist We Much on July 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Why is Cruz firmly with Rand now when he wasn’t before?

Maybe he is not as knee jerky as other politicians. Most politicians run on news flashes, I think Cruz takes his time to study the issues. Hopefully, he doesn’t lose his principals while in the Senate.

Oil Can on July 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM

CRUZ-WEST 2016.

profitsbeard on July 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

The land s/b so lucky.

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I stand with Rand Paul against Chris Christie’s attacks

We gonna have a GOP gang war even before the 2014 campaign season?

Happy Nomad on July 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

May as well get it over with ASAP now with weakling Boehner in hiding and the Grahamnesty quislings favoring cheapo invader labor over their own citizens’ rights.

viking01 on July 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Given that I was totally fooled by Rubio, my opinion on this means little, but I think both of these men (Cruz and Paul) are principled. I’m sure some of it is political strategy but I think they each have core beliefs.

Panther on July 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Agreed… and I think the Founders would shudder at shady “secret court” judges empowered with vainly trashing the Bill of Rights in Benedict Roberts fashion.

viking01 on July 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Rand Paul just endorsed Lamar! for re-election. He’s already endorsed McConnell. He’ll probably endorse Lindsey Graham next.

Jon0815 on July 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Oil Can on July 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM

That was my thought, too.

Chris of Rights on July 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

CRUZ-WEST 2016.

profitsbeard on July 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

The land s/b so lucky.

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

It’s a catchy team title too.

OBAMA BIDEN sounds like an Egyptian toilet.

profitsbeard on July 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Conflict for bluegill.

Bitter Clinger on July 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Christie is slime bag.

TX-96 on July 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

No, Snowden’s leaks are NOT the most damaging stuff out there. There is more and, if Cruz has heard what we have, that CERTAINLY would change a mind on the NSA stufff.
How about years of your ACTUAL PHONE CONVERSATIONS being available for perusal?

michaelo on July 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Did a little fishy’s head explode yet?

gophergirl on July 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Panther on July 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM

This ^^^^^^

gophergirl on July 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM

You’re approaching this from the angle that the programs are meant to stop foreign terrorists, foreign enemies, and enemy spies and sympathizers and such within the US. I think the programs are meant to watch domestic groups critical of the government. I could have maybe swallowed the explanation that it was meant for security if we hadn’t been hit with the IRS thing at the same time. If this program was meant for security we’d have prevented the terror attacks you mentioned.

This spying program is a political program to be used for domestic political purposes and should be viewed as such. While Snowden may indeed be a traitor, he also did us a big favor by exposing this.

Doomberg on July 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Saying Cruz isn’t a libertarian is like saying DeMint is not a libertarian. I’m not sure what value really lies in such a statement.

aryeung on July 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I guess this makes Cruz another wacko bird traitor like Paul, right bluegill?

MadisonConservative on July 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

How about years of your ACTUAL PHONE CONVERSATIONS being available for perusal?

michaelo on July 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

“No one is listening to your phone calls”

Ok….then how does the NSA use this program to prevent terrorism?

The only reason to collect and store this info is to allow the government to prosecute you in the future.

BobMbx on July 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I guess this makes Cruz another wacko bird traitor like Paul, right bluegill?

MadisonConservative on July 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Don’t forget the ‘paranoid’ part. :-)

Resist We Much on July 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Doomberg on July 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I have to admit that the IRS, which in turn led me to find out about Ms. Lerner at the FEC, has given me a whole new perspective on these programs. Far to many “phony” scandals going on to engender any trust any longer.

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Like Obama, Christie is a fascist who wants the N-Stasi-A to trample on the United States Constitution and the American people.

VorDaj on July 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

MadisonConservative on July 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Hey, you can’t take Princeton and Harvard out of Cruz’s resume, she’s in love, all the rest is nonsense.

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Being a libertarian myself, Rand Paul doesn’t worry me a bit, however, being a Texan and Ted Cruz supporter, you can generally figure where Cruz is or will be on an issue by applying the Constitution to it. Cruz will be faithful to the Constitution and that’s plenty good for THIS libertarian.

cartooner on July 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM

O/T I saw that Mrs. Kerry left the hospital yesterday and is expected to make a complete recovery. That’s good news.

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

We gonna have a GOP gang war even before the 2014 campaign season?

Happy Nomad on July 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Hope so. A gang war led to record gains in 2010.

rrpjr on July 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Doomberg on July 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Yep. The smoke screen is national security, but, the reality is to watch the U.S. civilian population very closely for indications of too much bad attitude regarding totalitarian creep of the government. IMO, that effort is not restricted to one party.

a capella on July 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Are we discussing the Libertarian Party or just people who tend to identify themselves as Libertarian? If we are discussing the Libertarian Party and backers then I believe that this movement in the long term is not in the best interest for the United States. Especially being quite a bit Amoral on social issues such as abortion and drug usage which closely follows Progressive thinking. It is given that they are close to being “spot on” for Free Market principles which lean towards Tea Party principles and general pro Capitalism.

Rand Paul falls towards his father’s ideas of the Libertarian Party but seems ‘publicly’ a bit more of a moderate in comparison to Ron Paul. Ted Cruz, I feel, “so far”, represents a better direction to head towards as a nation. His views are less pragmatic than Libertarians and more ethical towards social issues. Cruz and Paul can find common ground in Constitutional principles and pro Capitalism but I think most will find that is where the relationship will end. As campaign time comes closer to 2016 the veils will start to drop and the’re difference will become more contrasting. I will give the Rand Paul is not Ron Paul so we can only wait to see what unfolds as they later become rivals going into 2015.

Egfrow on July 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

FYI: A principled Libertarian/Constitutional based politician will let down some conservatives who want government intervention on areas they deem necessary.

But then I ask, are you really a conservative if you want government intervention in those areas?

Tater Salad on July 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Cruz = cool. Christie = pig.

bw222 on July 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Kris Kristie Kreme

Akzed on July 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Tater Salad on July 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I guess that depends on the ‘areas’ you mean doesn’t it?

sharrukin on July 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM

In Utah, as I type, the NSA is building better than ONE MILLION square feet of office space to store data on American citizens.I am against this snooping for several reasons.

1 What having committed any crimes whatsoever innocent Americans are have confidential data about their lives open for scrutiny which is a violation of our Constitutional rights.
2 Any government employee (or nongovernmental individual given this data by a governmental employee or who has hacked into the government data bases) can use certain data for blackmail, extortion or coercion.
3 Political Correctness negates any alleged valuable data supplied by ANYBODY including the NSA. So spying on people is largely a waste of time no matter what is discovered. Example: Flying school instructors who were reporting suspicious Middle Eastern pilot trainees not interesting in learning how to land airplanes were warned not to Discriminate” against Muslims-which cost 3000 lives. Example: Russian warnings about the Boston Bombers went unheeded. INFORMATION IGNORED IS THE SAME AS NO INFORMATION AT ALL so why even bother?
4 The sheer VOLUME of information gathered by the NSA and other Alphabet Agencies renders the data effective4ly useless. There is a phrase from the military strategist Carl Von clausewitz “HE WHO WOULD DEFEND EVERYTHING, DEFENDS NOTHING”–in this case so much data that it is impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff.
5 In the principle of Von Clauswitz, RACIAL and ETHNIC PROFILING alone would have nabbed the 911 Terrorists, the Boston Bombers and other terrorist attacks we don’t even know about yet. By profiling we can also get rid of the daily horror tales of old ladies being goosed by drunken government bums at airport screening lines.

MaiDee on July 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Peter King: Rand Paul’s ‘madness’

Akzed on July 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

That “madness” wacko bird sh*t isn’t going to work. Same thing the GOPe did to Reagan — i.e., he’s crazy. It’s fear. But Paul comes off as too reasonable.

rrpjr on July 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM

If Rick Perry doesnt get in the race, Ted Cruz is my guy for 2016.

Jack_Burton on July 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Anthony = Cruz
Lepidus = Lee
Octavius = Paul

paulsur on July 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

MaiDee on July 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

BINGO. But, of course, these government programs are mainly directed only at the innocent, just like the East German Stasi.

“If I had a son, it would look like the NSA”. – The Stasi

VorDaj on July 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM

RINOs don’t like these guys because they have the stones to take a position and stick by it. RINOs are being shown to have no spine. Ah, poor babies. They get called out and they whine like a bunch of girls. McCain is the biggest girl. Losers.

College Prof on July 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Egfrow on July 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I’m not quite sure where people get the idea that libertarians are “amoral” and not “ethical”. How is it either amoral or unethical to believe it is up to the individual states to decide issues like drug usage, prostitution, gay marriage, etc? Isn’t that the sort of liberty our country was founded on? That doesn’t mean libertarians advocate drug use, prostitution, etc. in our moral code. It just means we believe is not the federal government’s place to decide. That said, abortion is a different animal. That, IMO, is murder any way you slice it (life of the mother excepted), but libertarians don’t march in lockstep on that; many are against abortion. If you look at political affiliation and age, most young libertarians are against legalized abortion, but are for state (not federal) regulation of drugs, prostitution, gay marriage, etc.

Either way, I’d support Ted Cruz any time. Or Rand Paul. Rubio can pound sand.

idalily on July 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Egfrow on July 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Yes, there is a difference between a ‘Libertarian’ and a ‘libertarian.’

Big-L Libertarians are members of the Libertarian Party and do differ from libertarians in the purity of ideology and degree quite often.

Resist We Much on July 29, 2013 at 4:33 PM

CRUZ-WEST 2016.

profitsbeard on July 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Unless something damning happens between now and then, I’d be very much on board with this, as would my wallet…

CaptFlood on July 29, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Homeland Security’s Future Home: A Mental Hospital

‘ They started planning this thing in 2005, and now it’s projected to be completed in 2026. That’s 21 years. The estimated cost is now $4.5 billion. That’s $1 billion more than their original estimate.’

Resist We Much on July 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Anthony = Cruz
Lepidus = Lee
Octavius = Paul

paulsur on July 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

So… uhhh… just who does that leave as Caesar?

Not to mention Brutus…

JohnGalt23 on July 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Why do I want to break out in song? (I think I still have Clinton, the Musical on my mind…)

When you’re a Jet
You’re a Jet all the way…

If Cruz and Rand Paul are Jets, so am I.

Fallon on July 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Rubio? HAHAHAHAHAHA

EddieC on July 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM

My two favorite pols these days.

John the Libertarian on July 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM

maybe a much simpler answer is that the Tea partiers are really Reaganites and as such have a healthy mix of soc con, fiscal con and libertarian beliefs in them. notice Cruz didn’t come out in support of NSA when the crap hit the fan like the neocons did. He stated why he thought it was a bad idea :

which matches the Reagan/founders beliefs in small limited government.

Well I’m sure there is some serious positioning for 2016 going on each of these people are coming at it from ideological views as much as political gamesmanship.

unseen on July 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Cruz away..

AH_C on July 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Conflict for bluegill.

Bitter Clinger on July 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

…hasn’t anybody told IT…how to get rid of blueballs?

KOOLAID2 on July 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Red Team Blue Team.

Bmore on July 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Red Team Blue Team.

Bmore on July 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM

funny, but disturbing – blue team is going to give me a nightmares tonight :(

c4 on July 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM

The nightmares will pass.

Bmore on July 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Why would anyone take Christie seriously after he traded his soul for a date with the “Boss”, and smooches at the fair with the Prez?

trl on July 30, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Cruz is just another RUBIO FRAUD! Don’t be distracted, these traitors are only providing these fake skirmishes to get their precious Amnesty/Immigration disaster pass the sheep. Besides not being eligible for the WH, Ted Cruz is a fraud, a liar and and illegal alien shill. See this for his crappy Amendments to the Senate 744 bill: http://americandictators.blogspot.com/2013/07/ted-cruz-declares-war-on-america.html?showComment=1375240032168

el Vaquero on July 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM