Noonan: Obama is at the “point where the American people stop listening”

posted at 1:21 pm on July 29, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Last week, President Obama expounded upon his latest version of an ultra-recycled, been-there-done-that economic pivot — and it took him well over an hour to do so. Peggy Noonan had some rather pointed thoughts about that on ABC on Sunday, at the 2:05 mark:

When the White House calls it a “pivot” — somebody counted up and said it’s probably the tenth pivot to the economy that the president has done since he came in. I noticed that one of the speeches, it went over an hour, there was a heck of a lot jammed in. That told me something. It said, we’re not sure exactly what to say, so we’re going to say everything — but a speech about everything is a speech about nothing. Beyond that, I think every president, in the intense media environment we have now, certainly ever two-term president, gets to a point where the American people stop listening, stop leaning forward hungrily for information. I think this president got there earlier than most presidents, and I think he’s in that time now.

Ouch. All of President Obama’s grandiose economic pivots have pathetically little to show themselves; as George Will chimed in, our economy has continued to lose jobs during this ongoing “recovery” we’re supposedly in, and our labor force participation rate still hovering around a generational low of 63.5 percent.

Even Obama is cottoning on to the fact that all of the grandiloquence in the world isn’t going to do much to boost the popularity of crowning legislative achievement — but what he has up his sleeve besides more Keynesian-ish initiatives and “Republican obstructionism!”-sideshows is anyone’s guess. They’re still hoping that the law will speak for itself once it’s finally implemented, but the ol’ implementation process hasn’t been going too well so far:

Polls show the healthcare law is unpopular, and its approval ratings are falling. Disapproval topped 50 percent in a CBS News poll last week.

Obama said in an interview with The New York Times that the law will gain popularity once key provisions take effect next year and people are able to more easily purchase insurance.

“But until then, when we’re getting outspent four to one and people are just uncertain about what all this means for them, we’re going to continue to have some polls like that,” Obama said. “And me just making more speeches explaining it in and of itself won’t do it. The test of this is going to be is it working. And if it works, it will be pretty darn popular.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

One more, Bmore

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Exhibit 1001 why you are so mindless.

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I didn’t think the irony was subtle enough to require that level of explanation.

The Schaef on July 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I didn’t take Schadenfreude all that seriously.
I know his intent is to be clever and provoking.
I mean, he’d just been riffing on Peggy Noonan’s panties.
(Though I’m not sure he’s agree fully with your characterization of what he was ‘saying’.)
You’re responding to my response to someone chastising me for bringing up race.
I am fully aware of the ‘let’s tell progressives and liberals that ‘they’re racists!’ shtick.
Malkin used to run this site.
I guess it’s one of those ‘what do we really talk about when we talk about’ kind of deals…

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I was at that point five years ago. Okay, nine years ago, when he ran for Senate.

Ward Cleaver on July 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

He’s always at that “point.” And yet he maintains solid approval ratings.

When I see Obama’s approval rating in the low-mid 30′s, I’ll know the country the country has snapped out of it’s collective coma.

SAMinVA on July 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Not meaningless.

Resist We Much on July 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

But, yes it is…meaningless.
The Google search # of results thing…it is indeed meaningless.
These are algorithms, not facts.
The progs do the same thing over at HuffPo, etc.

How about I prove it –
from Google:

‘Google search result numbers are meaningless’ = 28,300,000 results.

See?

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Exhibit 1001 why you are so mindless.

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Sure…keep up the ‘hard work’, my friend.

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I do, nary a penny from the gov’t or from you.

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM

The real question is why any American ever listened to the fool in the first place.

AZCoyote on July 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Some of us have been listening since the start… we were mocked as extremists but Obama turned out to be worse than we anticipated.

DANEgerus on July 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

And yet, you seem disinclined to treat it as a double-standard, based on your casual dismissal of the tactic…

The Schaef on July 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

It is hardly schtick. Schtick implies it isn’t real or true. Liberals and progressives are far, far more racist than they claim conservatives are. The proof is all around but people like you are too blind to see. Like most other factual information that doesn’t support your religious belief in liberalism and the state, you simply ignore it.

Monkeytoe on July 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Who’s listening?

They just want their money, phones and food stamps.

acyl72 on July 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Get back to “work” government worker. I understand that someone in your county is looking at opening a new gas station. Bust thier balls and shut them down before someone actually gets a job from that greedy SOB.

acyl72 on July 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM

But, of course, it won’t work.

krome on July 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM

He’s always at that “point.” And yet he maintains solid approval ratings.

SAMinVA on July 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

This an impossibility with a democrat President… No matter how bad they are, they will always get the approval of their base which is around 45% of the voters… democrat voters are not like Republican voters… democrat voters do not have any accountability for their leaders… As long as their leaders are giving them the producers money in some type of welfare benefits and as long as their leaders are throwing at them all the red meat socialist rhetoric they will keep supporting them no matter what…

mnjg on July 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Hey, we all need to relax and remember that he of the pursed lips and transparent administration (they see it clearly now “O”) is “the one we’ve all been waiting for”

Goodness how wretchedly unthankful we be….

Don L on July 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

This an impossibility with a democrat President… No matter how bad they are, they will always get the approval of their base which is around 45% of the voters.

mnjg on July 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM

This.

Keep in mind that Harry Reid’s approval rating in Nevada was something like 17%… and he still won re-election. Some may Sharon Angle was a bad candidate, but nobody is 36 points bad.

…well, maybe Anthony Weiner…

The Schaef on July 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Katrina vanden Heuvel is the classic liberal nitwit.

BuckeyeSam on July 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM

but a speech about everything is a speech about nothing.

The Obama administration: A Presidency about nothing.

Sounds like the show, Seinfeld. Except that Seinfeld could be funny. The Obama administration, not so much.at all.(I had to fix that myself after I read what I wrote)

Sterling Holobyte on July 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I’ve always been amazed at his ability to put words together that anyone can hear exactly what they want to hear in them.

Cleombrotus on July 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Pay attention to me!

Ha.

verbaloon on July 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Edited for accuracy.

Del Dolemonte on July 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Can’t say I’m a big fan of the uniforms.
If only there was some gulch somewhere…

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

But you’ll wear the uniform when it’s required…so that you’ll fit in.

And, if you knew where the gulch was…you’d rat it out to your masters for a pat on the head.

Solaratov on July 29, 2013 at 5:35 PM

verbaluce on July 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Oh, we don’t need to tell you or your fellow ‘progressives’ that you’re racists. You’re already aware that you are…and proud of it.

You…people…just hate that we are so mean and politically incorrect as to say it out loud.

Solaratov on July 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Noonan: Obama is at the “point where the American people stop listening”

That is a point Noonan knows well, we stopped listening to her years ago.

RJL on July 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Hey Peg –

It doesn’t matter if the American people listen to Obama.

He doesn’t need them to.

He already won the election.

Remember? You voted for him.

fossten on July 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Any time Noonan talks about how bad Obama is, all I can think is, “F*** you, Noonan.”

Same goes for Chris “Rara Avis” Buckley and David “Very Good Mountain President Always There with his ‘Perfectly-Creased’ Pant Leg” Brooks.

These coxuckers are almost as nauseating as the Looter-in-Chief, himself.

DrZin on July 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Noonan: Obama is at the “point where the American people stop listening”

…so the politburo press…keeps turning up the decibels!

KOOLAID2 on July 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM