“Phony scandals”? Sean Smith’s mother says her son’s death wasn’t phony

posted at 10:41 am on July 26, 2013 by Bruce McQuain

In its usual inept and ham-fisted way,  the Obama administration has chosen to address the scandals surrounding it by waving them away as “phony” – conspiracies dreamed up and pursued by political enemies.  The president recently did that in his long-winded, laborious and incredibly boring re-hash of his failed economic policies.   The “phony” conspiracies are “distractions” from the “real problem”, a problem he has yet to address satisfactorily during his term in office.

The “phony” scandals include Benghazi, the IRS targeting of political groups on the right and others.  All were initially acknowledged by the administration and the president as serious breaches of public trust.  They’ve since, however, transformed into conspiracies generated by their enemies.

But there’s one voice asking what was “phony” about her son’t death in Benghazi?

Patricia Smith, mother of Sean Smith, who was slain in the September 11, 2012 terrorist attack, lashed out on “Your World” on the Fox News Channel about that terminology.

President Obama has never revealed what, if anything, he was doing while workers at the Benghazi embassy were urgently requesting support, nor has the administration explained why no forces were sent to protect the embassy. The administration also denied the attack was a terrorist incident, claiming it was a spontaneous protest against an obscure YouTube trailer for a film that may or may not exist.

To make matters worse, she was essentially lied to while standing on the ramp watching the body of her son being offloaded from an AirForce transport plane in Dover, DE.  Speaking of Obama, she said:

“I don’t believe him anymore,” Smith said. “He’s wrong. My son is dead. How could that be phony?”

According to Smith, she has been given no answers about what happened that night. She said the administration told her she “didn’t need to know.”

“When I was there at the ceremony of the welcoming of the caskets, both Obama and Hillary and Biden and all of the other ones, all promised me they would get back to me to tell me what happened,” Smith said. “I begged them. Please, I must know what happened with my son. How come this happened? They all promised me they would get back to me. You know, not one of them, not one of them ever got back to me in any way shape or form — not by a letter, not by anything other than I got a memo stating that I didn’t need to know because I was not part of the immediate family.”

No answers, no contact and no closure.  She’s lost all faith in the credibility of those who promised her answers, and rightfully so.  And then, as if to deliver a final slap to her face, an arrogant president waves away the death of 4 men, including her son, as a “phony scandal”.

She, however, has no intention of leaving the questions the administration is avoiding like the plague unanswered:

Smith made one last plea to the Obama administration explaining her desire for answers.

“How can I tell you?” Smith added. “I mean, it is wrong. It is not phony. It is not fake. My son is dead, and why is he dead? All I am waiting for even to this day is just someone to get back to me and tell me what happened. Why did Hillary do as she did? Why was there no security there when there was supposed to be? Who was the general that called back the troops when they were going to help?”

Is it really too much to ask the President of the United States to be forthcoming about why your son died in the service of his country?  Apparently so.

Meanwhile in Kabul, the administration is on track to see what happened in Benghazi happen there as again very lax security has been cited by an internal investigation that the Washington Times obtained under the Freedom of Information Act as a risk to the safety of embassy personnel.

U.S. diplomatic facilities in Afghanistan have serious security lapses that pose “unnecessary risk to staff,” including poor emergency preparedness and inadequate protections that might allow classified materials to fall into the hands of attacking enemies, according to an internal report that raises fresh questions about the State Department’s commitment to safety in the aftermath of the Benghazi tragedy.

Another “phony” scandal in the making.

~McQ

Blogging daily at Questions and Observations

Comments

Phony President!
Bishop/

LeftCoastRight on July 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Well, you and the other parents and wives better get out there and let people know. Except for this one woman, you don’t hear anything from the other families.

Blake on July 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

More to come.

Bmore on July 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

So is some Republican going to “slap” George Stephy and David Gregory with that this Sunday? Yeah I think not too.

Marcus on July 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM

VileRat wasn’t a SEAL.

Spade on July 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I look forward to the day when my memory of 0 is this.

Bmore on July 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Old & Busted:

With respect to Benghazi, we’ve now seen this argument that’s been made by some folks primarily up on Capitol Hill for months now. And I’ve just got to say — here’s what we know. Americans died in Benghazi. What we also know is clearly they were not in a position where they were adequately protected. The day after it happened, I acknowledged that this was an act of terrorism. And what I pledged to the American people was that we would find out what happened, we would make sure that it did not happen again, and we would make sure that we held accountable those who had perpetrated this terrible crime.

- President Barack Obama, 13 May 2013

New Hotness: It’s a phony scandal.

All In All, He Was Just Another Bump In The Road (applies to all)

Old & Busted:

Good afternoon, everybody. I just finished speaking with Secretary Lew and senior officials at the Treasury Department to discuss the investigation into IRS personnel who improperly screened conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status. And I look forward to taking some questions at tomorrow’s press conference, but today, I wanted to make sure to get out to all of you some information about what we’re doing about this, and where we go from here.

I’ve reviewed the Treasury Department watchdog’s report, and the misconduct that it uncovered is inexcusable. It’s inexcusable, and Americans are right to be angry about it, and I am angry about it. I will not tolerate this kind of behavior in any agency, but especially in the IRS, given the power that it has and the reach that it has into all of our lives. And as I said earlier, it should not matter what political stripe you’re from — the fact of the matter is, is that the IRS has to operate with absolute integrity. The government generally has to conduct itself in a way that is true to the public trust. That’s especially true for the IRS.

So here’s what we’re going to do.

First, we’re going to hold the responsible parties accountable. Yesterday, I directed Secretary Lew to follow up on the IG audit to see how this happened and who is responsible, and to make sure that we understand all the facts. Today, Secretary Lew took the first step by requesting and accepting the resignation of the acting commissioner of the IRS, because given the controversy surrounding this audit, it’s important to institute new leadership that can help restore confidence going forward.

Second, we’re going to put in place new safeguards to make sure this kind of behavior cannot happen again. And I’ve directed Secretary Lew to ensure the IRS begins implementing the IG’s recommendations right away.

Third, we will work with Congress as it performs its oversight role. And our administration has to make sure that we are working hand in hand with Congress to get this thing fixed. Congress, Democrats and Republicans, owe it to the American people to treat that authority with the responsibility it deserves and in a way that doesn’t smack of politics or partisan agendas. Because I think one thing that you’ve seen is, across the board, everybody believes what happened in — as reported in the IG report is an outrage. The good news is it’s fixable, and it’s in everyone’s best interest to work together to fix it.

I’ll do everything in my power to make sure nothing like this happens again by holding the responsible parties accountable, by putting in place new checks and new safeguards, and going forward, by making sure that the law is applied as it should be — in a fair and impartial way. And we’re going to have to make sure that the laws are clear so that we can have confidence that they are enforced in a fair and impartial way, and that there’s not too much ambiguity surrounding these laws.

So that’s what I expect. That’s what the American people deserve. And that’s what we’re going to do.

Thank you very much.

- President Barack Obama, 15 May 2013

New Hotness: It’s a phony scandal.

Largest scandal of all?

Obama’s Version of ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’

Resist We Much on July 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM

The President of the United States is a traitor to the Constitution of the United States, and should be dealt with accordingly.

I cannot wait until the day that that smug condescension is wiped off his face.

Prayers to Mrs. Smith and for the soul of her son, now among the million that have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Justice will eventually prevail, but the road getting there will be long and bloody.

Unlike 99.9% of the others who have given their lives, Smith died fighting both for his country and against his Commander-in-Chief; it’s not too often that the C-I-C is also the enemy.

turfmann on July 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM

You should correct your headline. Sean Smith was not a SEAL. He was a USAF veteran and a State Department information management officer.

Hayabusa on July 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM

The U.S. Embassy in Kabul has “very lax security”? LOL. Have you ever been there?

Hayabusa on July 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Yet they had plenty of time to devote to Trayvon Martin, a worthless little punk unworthy of 10 seconds of attention.

fogw on July 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Phony president.

Inept deceitful lawless leader.

Dishonest petty vengeful little narcissist.

petefrt on July 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM

This lady will haunt/hunt Hillary, as she should, to her last day, whichever goes first.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

More to come.

Bmore on July 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Be more

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Obama lied, people died!
Occupy the IRS!
OH wait, sorry…channeling the ghost of liberals past…

Zexerz on July 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Phony is as phony does. Any politician with a D next to their name got their through phoniness (aka LIES). And most of the R’s too…

kirkill on July 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

there!

kirkill on July 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I remember when a mother who had lost her son to terrorists was the final word in moral outrage and speaking truth to power, Cindy whatsherface.

My my my how times have changed now that a Dog Eating Fudball is running the show.

Bishop on July 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Hayabusa on July 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Probably not but he was quoting these people who WERE there:

The confidential State Department inspector general’s report

LOL. Read much?

Bishop on July 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Bishop on July 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Patricia Smith lost her son to a disgusting video.

See the difference?

fogw on July 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Patricia Smith lost her son to a disgusting video.

See the difference?

fogw on July 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

You forgot your sarc tag…

sandee on July 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM

“Phony scandals”?

Arsonist blames firemen for starting the fire.

petefrt on July 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM

This Regime really is despicable. All they know how to do is lie and attempt to deligitimize their enemies. In this case, their “enemy” is that mother. Truly depraved individuals in the White House right now – from Obama on down.

forest on July 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Cuff her or Kufir if you prefer.

Bmore on July 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

GUESS… if Barry had a son he wouldn’t look like Sean!

roflmmfao

donabernathy on July 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

But he focused like laser on the economy

jaywemm on July 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Can someone post a link to that cartoon of Hillary that Hot Air teases us with?

I’d like to be able to see it.

Thx

Labamigo on July 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Did anyone else notice Obama using the dialect of a black baptist minister while giving that speech?

And this assclown calls others phonies. His picture should be next to the word phony in the dictionary.

fogw on July 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Seems like the majority of GOP Congress members agree with Obama and Boehner blows out some blah-blah-blah PR smoke, then quickly retires to the 19th hole of the golf course where he meets Issa threatening another Congressional hearing to no where.

albill on July 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Of all the topics I come here to “debate, rant, and otherwise
opine” about, this is the type of incident that gets my blood
boiling the most.

Of course leftists will say I am letting Emotions determine
my thoughts…..I say it is a Compound punch, from both the
facts, and the emotional side effects from what these people
are put through by our Government.

This case, and the Fort Hood shooting, are the 2 single events
that get me so angry I could spit nails. Yes, there are many,
MANY events and actions by this Administration that have me angry,
but these two, with the grotesque callousness towards American
citizens, are on a level all their own.

And before any Leftist asks why I ONLY am critical of this
Administration, lets’ go back to the Bush years shall we?

The single biggest thing I was angered by during the Bush
Presidency, was the treatment of two Border Agents.
Anybody remember these names.

Agents Ramos and Campean?? These men should’ve been given
commendations, instead they were thrown in prison.

I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION FOR THIS.

ToddPA on July 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

it’s not too often that the C-I-C is also the enemy.

It has been for the last 4 1/2 years. The ROEs in Afghanistan are getting people unnecessarily killed all the time.

jukin3 on July 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Justice for Trayvon.

And free phones for everyone.

Anything else is just old news….

patman77 on July 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Why wasn’t Chris Stevens at the speech to show everyone just how “phony” his death was?

NullUnit60 on July 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM

The only thing phony here was the 2012 election.

Chris of Rights on July 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Do you think the NSA story gives Obama something to throw out there when people talk about phony scandals?

hawksruleva on July 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM

The media had a field day portraying Cindy Sheehan’s personal vendetta against George Bush. She sat in front of his Crawford house and the media ate it up. Maybe it’s time that these women do the same during Obama’s upcoming trip. They can camp out on his street and have Fox News/Rush Limbaugh feature them every day.
Is Cindy’s son any different from their sons? One was killed in a war (or as the Democrats would say “by our government”), the other was killed by our government.

djaymick on July 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Labamigo on July 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Here you go.

Barred on July 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

There is not enough heat in Hell to do justice to this little f$cking tyrant. But I sincerely hope he soon finds out first hand.

/Disgust

NOMOBO on July 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

When did being a parent not be an “immediate part of the family”??

Is this another way of saying “you didn’t build that”?

ChuckTX on July 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Makes my blood boil that our President (and former Sec of State Clinton) can think so little of our Ambassador and men in uniform. And most in the media turn their heads.

Disgusting!

SmallGovtGuy on July 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM

As disastrous as Jimmy Carter’s administration was, can you actually say he is a dishonorable man? He may have been incompetent, had no facility to appoint the best people in his administration, been a victim of truly bad luck, or any other reasons why his four years were such a black eye for this country. But do you really believe that, in his heart, he was a swine who desired to destroy his own country?

Obama is the first US president that I think has no honor whatsoever. He genuinely hates this country. Our “leader” is the enemy of the people. He is a scumbag. The AG of this country should be wearing orange. WTF is going on in the US when people can claim Jack Kennedy was assassinated by an element within the federal gov’t, and Barack Obama invites the Muslim Brotherhood to the White House?

This is worse than a Terry Gilliam movie.

thejackal on July 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM

And the media dropped her the minute the Dems won the brass ring and got to be “in charge of” the war.

djaymick on July 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM

AesopFan on July 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM

On some days it’s like the whole danged world is picking on successful former coke addicts named Barry! Regular Right Guy

Mornin Mojo on July 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM