Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro goes for plea deal, life without parole +1,000 years

posted at 1:21 pm on July 26, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Guilt or innocence was never really the big question at hand in the bizarre and sickening case of Ariel Castro, the Ohio-area man who kidnapped three women, imprisoned them in his home, repeatedly raped them, and starved and beat one victim into having multiple miscarriages. Shortly after the three women were finally returned to freedom back in May, however, the big question that arose was whether Castro could face the death penalty for deliberately killing the victim’s children in the womb. In Ohio, causing “the unlawful termination of another’s pregnancy” against her will constitutes aggravated murder, and the death penalty is an available punishment — but after negotiations with the prosecution this week, the dirtbag went for a guilty plea specifically to avoid the possibility and ergo will not go through the trial originally scheduled for August 5th. Via Fox News:

The Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

In exchange, prosecutors said 53-year-old Ariel Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment. He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage. The former school bus driver also was charged with hundreds of counts of kidnapping and rape, plus assault and other counts.

Castro was in court Friday morning to enter the guilty plea. When asked if he understood he would never be released from prison, Castro said: “I do understand that, your honor.”

He added, “I knew I was pretty much going to get the book thrown at me.” …

Oh gee, he anticipated that he was “going to get the book thrown” at him? Man, the heart bleeds. Not.

Comments

May he be raped to death, slowly and painfully, right there in prison. They have their moral codes too and abusing children doesn’t sit well with them.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

So he can get out after 1,000 years?!?

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Prison justice awaits?

nextgen_repub on July 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

The sad thing is that in about 10 years, he’ll start appearing in interviews on the Today Show, just like old Charlie Manson.

Chris of Rights on July 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

couple days in the general population and this will be yesterday’s news

gatorboy on July 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Chris of Rights on July 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I don’t think this guy has that creepily fascinating aspect that liberals so desire.

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

May they take his soap from his rope. Holder too.

Bmore on July 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM

The ironic thing about prison life (Not that I know first hand) is that even prisoners have a code that children aren’t to be touched no matter what…

Welcome to hell on earth…

HarryStar on July 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM

There was serious pressure from “pro-choice” groups here in OH not to try to make the murder charges stick. My guess is that the defense proposed the deal, and the state accepted it, to avoid a Wendy Davis-thon in Cleveland.

No skin off my nose. As others have stated, two weeks in general, three max, and he’s toast.

clear ether

eon

eon on July 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM

couple days in the general population and this will be yesterday’s news

gatorboy on July 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Yeah. He goes Dahmer….

apostic on July 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Or should that read? Take his rope from his soap. No matter. The end result remains the same.

Bmore on July 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Oh gee, he anticipated that he was “going to get the book thrown” at him?

He’s a regular Stephen Hawking, he is.

whatcat on July 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM

The entire time should be spent watching Rachael Maddow re-runs on a loop.

BobMbx on July 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

clear ether

eon

eon on July 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Maybe behind the scenes, but there ain’t no way in Hell they would have made public spectacles of themselves over this guy.

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Perhaps he can get a job in the Prison Library, and they can drop an entire stack on him?

Another Drew on July 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Completely agree but he’ll probably be isolated from the general population there for a very long time. On the other hand, maybe a prison guard might just forget to lock his cell one night …

TXUS on July 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Rolling Stone has a photographer on the way.

Ronnie on July 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM

maybe a prison guard might just forget to lock his cell one night …

TXUS on July 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Thy will be done!

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM

The entire time should be spent watching Rachael Maddow re-runs on a loop.
BobMbx on July 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Cruel and unusual punishment is banned by the Constitution.

whatcat on July 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Ariel Castro certainly deserves every day of a life sentence, but I’m wondering why his two brothers, who lived in the same house with him and were probably aware of his sexual attacks on the imprisoned women, were not charged as accomplices to rape.

Either or both of the brothers could have reported Ariel Castro’s crimes against the women to the police during their imprisonment, and could have shortened their time in h3!! by years, but neither of them did so. If Ariel Castro left the house frequently to play in the band, either of the brothers could have freed the women in his absence, but they never did.

Any man with half a conscience who sees his brother inflict such horror on three women would have set them free and/or reported the crime to the police at the earliest opportunity, but they covered for him. Does that legally make them accomplices to his crimes?

Steve Z on July 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

So he can get out after 1,000 years?!?

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I took that “life plus 1000 years” to mean his corpse stays in jail 1000 years after he dies.

Bitter Clinger on July 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Steve Z on July 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I would think so. I’ve always thought that having knowledge of a crime but failing to report it was considered at least “aiding and abetting”.

Bitter Clinger on July 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Some plea bargains make sense, for both sides. But what often happens is that prosecutors end up pleading their strongest cases and trying their weaker cases. Why? Because, with a slam dunk case, the defendant has an incentive to work out a better deal than he/she might get at trial.

This is not a bad plea deal — it is a reprehensible plea deal.

The Cuyahoga County DA should be sentenced to life in prison for sentencing this piece of human garbage to three squares, high-speed Internet and cable television.

IndieDogg on July 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I’m glad this was resolved in this manner. The last thing I wanted was to see this trial on TV, with every sick detail being hashed out on the cable channels every night. For weeks.

joejm65 on July 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM

So he can get out after 1,000 years?!?

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I LOL’ed my chicken salad hoagie all over the cubicle.

Thank you, Sir.

Pale Rider on July 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Rolling Stone has a photographer on the way.

Ronnie on July 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Ok, I’m just gonna push lunch to the side while I read this thread. I’m projectile-laughing hoagie all over the place…

Pale Rider on July 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

You don’t think so, huh? I disagree. To the pro-choice crowd, there is nothing more important than their holy abortion cause. Anything which might even slightly impact upon it cannot be allowed to proceed. Believe me, they would have made the spectacle.

Shump on July 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Since he appears to be a white Hispanic, I expect we’ll be spared the usual bleeding-heart pleas for clemency from criminal-coddling liberals.

Liam on July 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM

…without any pants?

KOOLAID2 on July 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM

This is not a bad plea deal — it is a reprehensible plea deal.
IndieDogg on July 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Not sure I agree. If the DA consulted with the victims & they are OK with this, I have no problem with it either. Yeah, he gets to live his life in prison, but the victims don’t have to live the next few years with the trial hanging over them.

taznar on July 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Shump on July 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM

So where were the protests over the Kermit Gosnell trial? Even abortion ghouls have enough sense to avoid backing evil like Castro. They couldn’t possibly win if they did. Their MO is to pretend inconvenient truths don’t exist. Better to stick your head in the sand then expose the public to reality.

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

he imprisoned, raped, and beat others, and now all that is reversed… karma!

Sachiko on July 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Rolling Stone has a photographer on the way.

Ronnie on July 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM

HA! Took me a couple of seconds to get that one. Nice shot!

ExpressoBold on July 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I hope he doesn’t get shanked quickly…

ladyingray on July 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM

It’s not so bad after the first 500 years.

The Rogue Tomato on July 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

It’s not so bad after the first 500 years.

The Rogue Tomato on July 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

HA! Good riddance to bad rubbish, now we won’t have to see the despicable animal ever again.

scalleywag on July 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM

So where were the protests over the Kermit Gosnell trial?

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

His victims were white. MSM can’t use that.

Ronnie on July 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Steve Z on July 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Both brothers lived elsewhere, one with their mother. I suspect they knew, since one witness supposedly claimed to have seen 3 men walking 3 women in the backyard on leashes. Hopefully the police are still investigating them.

I’m glad they still got him for life, even plead out; those young women are spared a trial and the assclown media attention.

Madisonian on July 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM

So he can get out after 1,000 years?!?

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

A thousand years after he dies – he also is getting life without parole, and I believe that takes precedence.

Steve Eggleston on July 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM

He added, “I knew I was pretty much going to get the book thrown at me.” …

Yeah, they really had to reach deep to trump up charges here and make it more than life and 850 years which might have given him the chance of parole in three hundered years or something./

There has been so much in the news lately about “justice” for a street thug who messed with the wrong guy. I’ve got to wonder how his three victims who were enslaved for years feel today. Probably relief that they will not have to testify at a trial but is this really justice for them? Is this not a case where capital punishment is warranted?

Happy Nomad on July 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I concur. Castro is clearly a white Hispanic.

His name is fitting, though.

BKennedy on July 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Injection or insertion, either way he gets the DP. I’d prefer the former to the latter, but he’ll get what he has coming.

RationalIcthus on July 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I’m sure his book and film deals will be awesome.

Honestly, what’s to be gained from keeping him alive? He won’t be released, ever, which means any possible rehabilitation (HA!) in prison won’t even mean anything in the end.

It’s no mercy to him, or to society at large, to feed, clothe, and entertain this monster for the rest of his life.

Rope is cheap.

PXCharon on July 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM

And this will cost the taxpayers how much? Firing squad in 3-2-1

mhgoldwing on July 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I’m hoping he is scared and terrified every moment for the rest of his sorry life. I hope he sleeps with the terror that someone might take his sorry behind and make a mess of him. Death is too kind. Ok so I’m vengeful.

jaywemm on July 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Our judicial system is a mess. What does “Life without parole” mean? I’m guessing it doesn’t mean exactly what is says if you have to add 1,000 years to his sentence.

Or is the extra 1,000 years a way saying we are very upset with him. (sarc)

I say give him 1 bullet +100.

Paleoconservatarian on July 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Paging Christopher Scarver! We’ve found a new cellmate for you.

M. Scott Eiland on July 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM

His victims were white. MSM can’t use that.

Ronnie on July 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Kermit Gosnell’s victims were mostly minorities.

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM

So where were the protests over the Kermit Gosnell trial?

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

The protest was that they didn’t report on it. They ignored it, until Kirsten Powers shamed them into touching on it, and then they made the story about themselves.

One radio host in Salina, KS, Nancy Hodges, advocated allowing mothers to kill their babies after they were born. Right on air. Multiple times. Her husband is an OB/GYN and so is her son. How sick is that?

cptacek on July 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM

This is probably the most cost effective way to deal with this case. I don’t know if they could have gotten the death penalty, and the lengthy appeals preocess is so costly it is more expensive than life in prison, it keeps beringin attention to the case so the perp gets a reward and the victims have a harder time moving on.

talkingpoints on July 26, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Ariel Castro, the Ohio-area man who kidnapped three women

What exactly does Ohio-area mean? Is that kind of like an America-area man

OliverB on July 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

So he can get out after 1,000 years?!?

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

..naw, mate, he’s gotta die first THEN wait a millenium and THEN he gets parole. He is gonna be one old sumbitch when he hits the streets.

The War Planner on July 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM

So he can get out after 1,000 years?!?

NotCoach on July 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

..naw, mate, he’s gotta die first THEN wait a millenium and THEN he gets parole. He is gonna be one old sumb!tch when he hits the streets.

The War Planner on July 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

..and it’s pretty safe to say that his parole officer’s great-great-great-great-grandparent ain’t been born yet.

The War Planner on July 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM

He thought he would get the book thrown at him? I would be more impressed if they dropped the entire library on him.

Or is the extra 1,000 years a way saying we are very upset with him. (sarc)

I say give him 1 bullet +100.

Paleoconservatarian on July 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Yah, it’s a way of saying “Go to your room, and stay there until I tell you”, but I think it’s also a way of preventing some busy body judge further up the food chain giving him a shot at parole. He plead guilty to all of the crimes, and the sentence probably totes up all the years cumulated. I’m not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I’ll guess this would be one hellaciously difficult sentence to reverse.

BillH on July 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Adios, MF.

trigon on July 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Ariel Castro, the Ohio-area man who kidnapped three women

What exactly does Ohio-area mean? Is that kind of like an America-area man

OliverB on July 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

It sounds better than Customs and Immigration admitting,

He’s from Puerto Rico, has a record there, and neither the Puerto Rican authorities, the FBI, or we at CI have any idea how in the Hell he got to Cleveland and lived there for nearly twenty years without any of us noticing.

Not all “illegal aliens” come across the Rio Grande.

clear ether