Harry Reid: Hillary Clinton may have a bigger fan than me, I just don’t know who it would be

posted at 6:41 pm on July 25, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Add Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to the list of Democrats unequivocally throwing all of their complimentary predictions as well as predictable compliments behind the possible — or, depending on who you talk to, probable — candidacy of Hillary Clinton 2016. Not only would she win and make a splendid president, says Reid, but “she’ll handle things probably even better than [Bill Clinton] did”:

Hillary Clinton may have a bigger fan than Harry Reid; I just don’t know who it would be. I think that what she did as a senator, what she did as secretary of state will go down in history books as a remarkable, remarkable job that she did. I, of course, have such admiration for the president. Remember, the last three or four years he was here we reduced the debt and created 22 million jobs – pretty good deal. And I think that they’re a pretty good team, but she’ll handle things probably even better than he did. … I don’t know what more I can say than — to be a cheerleader for — than what I’ve already said in this interview.

The “remarkable job that she did” as secretary of state? Er… debatable, but try telling that to a Democrat, and anyway, Clinton is of course topping the race in all of those Quinnipiac 2016 hypothetical match-up polls. The big rejoinder for Clinton’s potential presidency, however, is that it isn’t as if plucking a candidate from relative obscurity has never worked for the Democrats before, ahem, and Hillary might be a little too much on the old side of the old guard come 2016; Chris Cilliza at WaPo made a list the other day sussing out some of the other possible Democratic options we might be looking at come the next presidential campaign cycle. If it isn’t going to be Hillary, maybe it’ll be one of these guys? Maybe?

7. Howard Dean: It’s been a decade since the former Vermont governor lit the Democratic world on fire with his remarkable if ultimately flawed presidential candidacy. While Dean hasn’t been an active candidate since then, he retains something of a following among liberals, and if there is a segment of the party looking for an alternative to Clinton, he could be it.

6. Martin O’Malley: On paper, the Maryland governor looks great. He’s built a governing record in the Old Line State — guns, the death penalty, gay marriage, etc. — that liberals will love. He’s handsome. And, he badly wants to be president. Like, really badly. But, as the New Republic’s Alec MacGillis noted in a recent piece on O’Malley: “For all his gym-rat, pub-rock credentials, O’Malley is not a very charismatic politician.” There is a “Democratic Tim Pawlenty” narrative building around O’Malley at the moment. …

Comments

this is the kind of solidarity we need in the republican party Mr. King.

phatfawzi on July 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Jeez, I’d hate to hear what he says after a Justin Bieber concert!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Meghan McCain.

Oh wait I think he meant more enthusiastic fan.

Kataklysmic on July 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Harry Reid always gives me an “evil funeral director” vibe.

Travis Bickle on July 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Alejandro Mayorkas is pretty up there.

Greek Fire on July 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Dear God I can’t stand these demagogues any more. Why have we not seceded yet?

long_cat on July 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Harry luvs him sum wymynes, who stand by their men no matter how much they are humiliated.

He also luvs him incompetent Secretaries of State, who not only refuse to increase security in very dangerous areas, BUT DECREASE IT…leading to the death of 4 Americans and the wounding of dozens more.

Hillary for President because having the first American Ambassador in more than 30 years murdered on your watch is a resume enhancer or something!

Resist We Much on July 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM

my comments are being filtered?

long_cat on July 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Har n’ Hil! Who’s the receiver?

crash72 on July 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM

my comments are being filtered?

long_cat on July 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Comments that contain certain words in regards to leaving the Union, or Rev0lution are filtered.

portlandon on July 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Dear God I can’t stand these demagogues any more. Why have we not seceded yet?

long_cat on July 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Because Bizarro Lincoln is itching for a reason to kill you where you stand?

crrr6 on July 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Dear God I can’t stand these demagogues any more. Why have we not seeceded yet?

long_cat on July 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

(trying this again – damn filters)

Because Bizarro Lincoln is itching for a reason to kill you where you stand?

crrr6 on July 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM

==========================

Oh OH…. I know,its……………Weiners wife,Huma!:)

canopfor on July 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM

That was vomit-inducing.

Bitter Clinger on July 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM

long_cat on July 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

If it’s any consolation, I think more and more people are asking that very question every day. It’s a matter of time, in my opinion. And organization.

SailorMark on July 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Hey Harry, I have a question.

Why isn’t it cool to be president when you are older, white, rich and a man when you are Mitt Romney?

But it’s perfectly okay to be all of those things when you are Hillary Clinton?

Jomama on July 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

portlandon on July 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I’m not sure you understand secession

long_cat on July 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Good grief. Harry Reid is the poster child for why we should have term limits. When you look at him you get a whiff of formaldehyde. Hillary is only his heroine because she got away with as many crooked deals as he has.

scalleywag on July 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Just one incompetent complimenting another incompetent. At least Reid can plead senility.

GarandFan on July 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM

The thing is, Hilldog will be the next POTUS unless some other smooth talking progressive agitator arrives on scene.

long_cat on July 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Didn’t Harry Reid encourage the current WH occupant to run agasint Hillary back in 2007?

Apparently he’s her biggest fan as long as there isn’t someone he likes better…

EastofEden on July 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM

What difference, at this point, does it make?

Mimzey on July 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Apparently he’s her biggest fan as long as there isn’t someone he likes better…

EastofEden on July 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Hahaha, good catch. I believe that’s exactly right.

scalleywag on July 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Can we get them a room? Like one of those special rooms at the state hospital with rubber walls?

platypus on July 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM

It’d be danged difficult to find a man with less character than Harry Reid.

Is their no part of his dignity he won’t sell for a price?

Don L on July 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I still doubt Hillary stands a chance, even if she does run.

Look for O’Malley, standard Dem hack, who would fit the ideological side of things if not the ID politics angle.
Klobuchar, who fits the ID politics angle, but is a hard lefist from Minnesota, not a background for winning candidates historically.
Or Biden, who fits the trend of following a young Dem. President with his uninteresting Vice President.

By all historical standards any of the above three should lose hard in the general election. Whether that trend continues depends on if this is at all the same nation we’ve had historically or if the left has successfully destroyed us through racial/gender division and voter fraud. I’m not optimistic…

Gingotts on July 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Do you think that harry will sext old Hilary….when harry met Hilary……nightmares…..ish

crosshugger on July 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Don’t bother, Harry. She bats for the other team.

CurtZHP on July 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Im a big fan of the grim reaper coming to take Harry to his just reward.

neyney on July 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM

We can only hope and pray.

After McCain 2008 and Romney 2012, it’s about time the Democrats put up an unlikeable can’t-win candidate because “it’s his (her) turn.”

tom on July 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Harry Reid makes dry rot look vibrant.

profitsbeard on July 26, 2013 at 2:23 AM

If they gave this guy an enema, they could bury him in a matchbox.

savage24 on July 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM