Good news: Luke Skywalker’s son in Star Wars VII might be … Ryan Gosling?

posted at 8:01 pm on July 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

I’m tempted to say that Disney should stick to tradition and cast no-names for the major roles. But that logic got us Hayden Christensen.

Second look at A-listers?

A little while ago I was told that two names have been thrown around a lot, and that another star went in last week.

The two stars are none other than…

RYAN GOSLING and ZAC EFRON…

As for what role Efron would be playing, we don’t know. He could be a Solo kid. But what I was told for sure is the Gosling went in for Skywalker’s son. Yes, that’s right Luke’s kid.

Interesting thing is that Episode 7 is taking place thirty years after Return of the Jedi.

That’s from Latino Review, which reported that Harrison Ford would be involved in the sequels a month or so before Ford himself (almost) confirmed it. The timeline’s no surprise: Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher have supposedly also been signed, so “thirty years after Return of the Jedi” is pretty much baked in the cake. (Judging by this photo, maybe it should be fifty years.) The potential cast is a bit of a surprise, though. Are they going to go with only/mostly big-name stars this time around? We’re far enough removed from the original trilogy, and the sour taste from the prequels has lingered long enough, that maybe kids need an extra hook to go see this thing. Co-starring Justin Bieber as Luke Jr’s adorable cousin Oliver?

I have nothing against Gosling or Efron, and frankly don’t much care who plays Luke’s kid. Since they’re bringing the old cast back, presumably they’re casting here with an eye to mimicking the personas of the characters in the original trilogy. E.g., Luke Jr will be a take-off on the bland but earnest wide-eyed apprentice. However, they must, must get the casting right on Han Jr, and Zac Efron surely ain’t it. What you need for the “dashing rascal” role is someone like a younger Clooney, not a teen idol. We already know from “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” how hard it is to cast the son of a roguishly iconic Harrison Ford character. Don’t fark it up, Disney.

Or maybe they’ll flip the script and cast the next generation of characters against type. Han’s son will be the one who’s naive and Luke’s son will be the one who’s hardboiled, and we’ll have to sit through all sorts of hijinks and excruciating parent/child subplot melodrama because neither father sees eye to eye with his boy. Won’t that be fun? If we’re extra lucky, maybe they’ll let Lucas script those scenes. Kill me now.

Comments

The magic is so gone that no matter what they do short of creating a space version of “Apocalypse Now” will be wasted money and time.

Bishop on July 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Greeaaat.

lemme guess: C-3PO

trubble on July 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I think I am scheduled to mow the lawn when this comes out..

Electrongod on July 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

In the eternal words of Darth Vader.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

NerwenAldarion on July 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

If we’re extra lucky, maybe they’ll let Lucas script those scenes. Kill me now.

Here. I’ll share my Belladonna with you.

nukemhill on July 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM

And holy shiznatch is Peter Mayhew tall, 7′ 3″….WOW.

Bishop on July 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Greeaaat.

lemme guess: C-3PO and R2-D2 have gotten married in Coruscant, and adopted a special needs droid from the Dagobah system.

trubble on July 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I have nothing against Gosling

I do. Ugh, the most boring, one-note, overrated actors around.

That, plus seeing our heroes as old and fat, which apparently people want to see, makes me sad for the whole deal.

Dongemaharu on July 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Shia LaBoeuf.

[ducks]

Ed Morrissey on July 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Han’s son shot first!

rbj on July 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Ryan Gosling? Excellent choice!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

“Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo.”

Should have stopped there.

No, they should have stopped before there.

Wethal on July 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

They passed EmperorCare shortly after the defeat of the Empire..
It took 30 years to overcome this stupid move…

Episode 6 1/3 will cover this….

Electrongod on July 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Han’s son shot first!

rbj on July 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

And his wingman…
Wiener has the pics..

Electrongod on July 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I like Ryan Gosling but man, his films suck. Drive wasn’t bad but I doubt it did well at the box office. But most of his films are flops.

Blake on July 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Shia LaBoeuf.

[ducks]

Ed Morrissey on July 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Have you seen what Shia looks like these days?

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Eye candy :-)

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Blake on July 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I liked the Notebook and Crazy, Stupid, Love. But I will admit he’s not that good of an actor.

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Good news: Luke Skywalker’s son in Star Wars VII might be … Ryan Gosling.

Bad news: There is going to be a Star Wars VII.

Pork-Chop on July 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Galactic Empire collapses.

30 years later?

Chaos.

Why would anyone want to piece any of the old system back together? A galaxy full of independent systems, rogue Imperial commanders setting up shop on their own, the old guard Alliance either trying to pick of pieces or being pulled apart by their own rag-tag nature…

That is what you get when Empires collapse.

Besides, the Jedi were a bunch of schmucks who caused the problems in the first place. Just wait until some bright old commander decides to blame all those Force users for the Republic, its fall, the Empire, its fall and the state of chaos they are all in.

Wait! There’s a story in that where those who are ‘strong with the Force’ are being hunted down so that they will never, ever cause trouble again. Jedi and Sith team up for survival!

ajacksonian on July 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Oh Allahpundit…..Ryan Gosling is in his 30s so I wouldn’t call a “teen idol.”

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Have you seen what Shia looks like these days?

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Well, I suppose Han’s son could be smuggling Naboo Wowie and sampling some of the cargo on the way …

Ed Morrissey on July 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

If Lucas is kept FAR AWAY from the film, there is a faint hope that it won’t be a dogs breakfast.

sharrukin on July 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM

But that logic got us Hayden Christensen.

He’s so pretty, it makes up for his acting…

JetBoy on July 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Man, not a lot of great under 30 actors if you’re looking for Han’s son…

Ben Foster is a great actor that has played all types of characters but he’s the same age as Gosling and doesn’t give off that Han type swagger.

Aaron Johnson (Kick-@ss, and Nowhere Boy)?

Anton Yelchin (if he loses that horrible Star Trek accent)?

nextgen_repub on July 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Jar Jar Binks Jr. to be played by??????

sentinelrules on July 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

As for what role Efron would be playing,

Star War’s first openly gay character???

…aside from that Binks thing I mean.

BigWyo on July 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Jar Jar Binks Jr. to be played by??????

sentinelrules on July 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

A bunch of pixels.

Those never die.

ajacksonian on July 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Here’s an idea…what happened to the little kid that played Darth Vader in episode 1…or I..

BigWyo on July 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM

He’s so pretty, it makes up for his acting…

JetBoy on July 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I’ve said this before but I don’t think Hayden is a bad actor. He was excellent in “Life as a House.” I’m sorry but Star Wars sucks…..you can put the best actors on the film it will still reek.

P.S. Hayden is hawt. Why isn’t he on the cover of Rolling Stone.

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Next up, roles for Channing Tatum and Bradley Cooper, preferably shirtless.

CarolynM on July 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Gosling? ew.
How about William Moseley or Skandar Keynes – Both from Narnia Chronicles

Hayden Christensen – I am your only fan.

batterup on July 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Next up, roles for Channing Tatum and Bradley Cooper, preferably shirtless.

CarolynM on July 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Pretty please :-)

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Since we are talking movies…..I saw The Great Gatsby a few days ago. Um when did Leonardo DiCaprio become such a good actor?

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

what happened to the little kid that played Darth Vader in episode 1…or I..

BigWyo on July 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Hopefully they drowned him in a nameless bog somewhere.

sharrukin on July 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Inception

batterup on July 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Bad news: There is going to be a Star Wars VII.

Pork-Chop on July 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Nice….HEH!!

BigWyo on July 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:30 PM

There simply was no overcoming the terrible scripts and dialogue in the prequels.

Christiansen was brilliant in Shattered Glass, too.

Ed Morrissey on July 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Only Norman Reedus can save this from flopping

Jackalope on July 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Christiansen was brilliant in Shattered Glass, too.

Ed Morrissey on July 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Yep he was.

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Hopefully they drowned him in a nameless bog somewhere.

sharrukin on July 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

The one of the planet Perk.

He’s in Perkitory.

ajacksonian on July 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Nice picture BTW…is that his ‘James Dean’ look?

BigWyo on July 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM

They have to get Shatner. He can do Star Wars.

Iblis on July 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

The one of the planet Perk.

He’s in Perkitory.

ajacksonian on July 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Amen.

That kid is in the top ten most annoying children in film.

sharrukin on July 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Promise me a Jar Jar Binks death scene, and I’ll promise to go at least three times. More if it’s painful and agonizing.

boone on July 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM

What’s funny is that most of you that make these snide remarks mocking the project will be one of the first ones to see it when it comes out or get the DVD/Redbox for those that don’t go to the movies. It’s easy to say 2 years away that you’ll never going to see it

journeymike on July 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM

journeymike on July 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I saw the first of the new episodes and didn’t bother to see the remaining two. The Red Letter Media reviews of them were very entertaining however.

sharrukin on July 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM

journeymike on July 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM

When I heard there was going to be a fourth Indiana Jones movie I thought it was a bad idea to see old versions of movie heroes, and I didn’t see it in the theaters. In fact, I didn’t see it till after the RedLetterMedia review(which is brilliant, btw), and it turned out even worse than I expected.

Dongemaharu on July 25, 2013 at 8:53 PM

As long as Will Smith’s kid doesn’t play Lando’s son.

OliverB on July 25, 2013 at 8:53 PM

From the people who brought you John Carter?

flataffect on July 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Luke Skywalker will have a son. With whom?

Are they going to work a reverse-immaculate conception like the opposite of what they did in Ep 1 with Shmi? Does Luke just focus midichlorians into his guy-goo and make Gosling appear out of an Easy Bake Force Oven?

James on July 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Shia LaBoeuf.

[ducks]

Ed Morrissey on July 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Bwaaaaahahahahahahaha!! I LOVE YOU MAN!!

It will take much better stint casting then Gosling (who I would watch read the phone book) to make me try to pick up the Star Wars turd by the clean end again. The prequels utterly ruined the franchise for this girl-geek.

CantCureStupid on July 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Can’t wait for the “Hey Girl”/Star Wars crossovers. /sarc

Pinterest’s servers will be doing Vader screams daily…..

pookysgirl on July 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Obama will play a descendant of Mace Windu and demonstrate the Jedi Mind Meld.

Bigfoot on July 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM

what happened to the little kid that played Darth Vader in episode 1…or I..

BigWyo on July 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM

He grew up to detest Star Wars and pretty much everything associated with it.

ebrown2 on July 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Luke’s son?
Jeez, the Solo twins are old enough to have their own kids by the time Luke manages to start a family. If Luke’s son is old enough to be an adult, we are talking like 50 years after Return of the Jedi.

Count to 10 on July 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Luke Skywalker will have a son. With whom?
James on July 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM

His wife, Mara Jade, I think. I haven’t actually read those books yet. I kind of lost interest when they dropped a moon on Chewbacca.

Count to 10 on July 25, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Star Wars was ruined forever in 1996 with the introduction of the insipid special editions. It’s all been downhill since then.

Good luck, SW VII. Try not to set a new record for suckage.

hungrymongo on July 25, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Christiansen was brilliant in Shattered Glass, too.

Ed Morrissey on July 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM

It turns out Lucas got too much credit for the contributions of his tea in the original movies. He had to make do, because he couldn’t have everything his way. Those contributions were lost once technology and his reputation gave him the ability to have everything his way.
After watching a little clip on how Pixar makes movies in a kind of decentralized way, I have to think there is a kind of “top down vs. bottom up” lesson to be learned here.

Count to 10 on July 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM

It turns out Lucas got too much credit

Gary Kurtz is far underappreciated for his role in producing Star Wars and Empire. He definitely kept George in check and reeled him in.

hungrymongo on July 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I think Han Solo is a dead man in this one. Can’t see Ford doing it otherwise.

tomas on July 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I’m not so sure they’re going to want Gosling after this one;

It takes real talent to blow $80M+ on what, thirty years ago, would have been a John Waters Poverty Row gross-out flick starring Divine in the Kristen Scott Thomas role. But somehow they did it.

If Gosling isn’t box office poison after this, Disney needs a brain transplant. One from a hamster would probably be an improvement.

clear ether

eon

eon on July 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

30 years? If they follow the books from that time, they might be good. Someone upthread asked who Luke has a son with: Mara Jade…

DStreete on July 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM

the one and only way to make me not watch it…

Kaptain Amerika on July 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM

terryannonline on July 25, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Christiansen was brilliant in Shattered Glass, too.
Ed Morrissey on July 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Lawrence Olivier couldn’t have done anything with that pathetic script.

“I don’t like sand. It’s coarse, and rough, and it gets everywhere. Not like you. You’re everything soft and smooth….”

Proof positive that that movie was a fantasy was the fact that he got the girl after insipid lines like that!

Shadow on July 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I’m not so sure they’re going to want Gosling after this one;

clear ether

eon

eon on July 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

That movie sounds awesome if you are half in the bag and in the right mood!

Gosling will be fine. He needs a good movie or some indie thing that gets lots of buzz. Dunno if this shlockarama is it, tho, if it is true.

kim roy on July 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I was expecting Justin Bieber.

Disney owning the rights to Star Wars is FAIL.

portlandon on July 25, 2013 at 11:17 PM

A continuation of my pain, I sense.

““…I’m not afraid to die. I’ve been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.”

guinneach on July 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM

PalpatineCare has wreaked havoc throughout the Federation; its up to an intrepid trio of Teapartians to restore order.

BobMbx on July 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Shadow on July 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Keep in mind that Lucas was already a billioniare and had absolutely no need to write well. He wasn’t after box office receipts. He wanted the residuals from merchandising.

As for me, I get more excited thinking about part 8 of this than Episode 7.

BobMbx on July 26, 2013 at 12:32 AM

The franchise is dead if they don’t stick to the established universe.

MNHawk on July 26, 2013 at 8:19 AM

trubble on July 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Hemma-drioids…

psrch on July 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM

As a former fan of the extended universe books, I can see a few issues (if indeed they do plan to stick with the universe that the books have given them and not pull some sort of Trek like timeline altering event)…

Spoilers (if you are not into the books and somehow still care about this)

By year 30 after Return of the Jedi:

Chewie is Dead (killed off by a moon being shot at a planet)
Luke had a wife (murdered by one of Han’s children)
Luke has a son named Ben Skywalker (strong in the force)
Han and Leia are married
Han and Leia had 3 kids (one set of twins, and a single, all of which are strong force users)
-The youngest (a boy) is dead (heroic death)
-The male twin turned to the dark side, became a Sith Lord, took over the new, new republic, and was ultimately killed
-The female twin is an ace pilot, and an emotional wreck
The Empire is still around, but a shadow of its former self.
Coruscant is no longer a planet covered by a city (the buildings were almost all completely destroyed)
R2 and 3PO are rarely together in the same place, but for some reason have not been made obsolete
Lando is still venture capitalist, but old, and married
The galaxy is even more of a wreck than at the end of Episode 3

All of that is off the top of my head… My money is on a tangent skewing event, as there is just way too much in the expanded universe for people who haven’t read the books to be able to catch up on in a 3 paragraph crawl and the first 25% of a 2-3 hour movie.

Tremor on July 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

That’s exactly the thought I had while reading this. (Of course, I had the same idea for an “Odd Couple” reunion – e.g. Felix’s Leonard grows up messy – but for the fact Oscar and Blanche never had a child.)

BTW, is there some support group anyone can recommend for parents of children who think the whole “Clone Wars” oeuvre is better than Episodes IV, V, VI? I thought I did all the right things: never buying my 13 yr old as a boy any toys from the prequels, only Endor and Hoth action sets, encouraging his emulation of Han Solo as the hippest rogue in the galaxy, etc, but the boy lives for “The Clone Wars” cartoons and thinks Clone Troopers are much cooler than Stormtroopers (“at least they hit things when they shoot!” he says). Please…help.

Captain Scarlet on July 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM