Collapse: Weiner goes limp in new post-scandal poll

posted at 12:46 pm on July 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

Dare I say that his numbers have turned flaccid? Or would that be too hacky even for me? Trick question: Nothing’s too hacky for me, my friends.

Alternate headline via Popehat: “Clearly flawed or hacked poll implies New Yorkers have taste.”

Mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner has suffered a massive erosion of support among New York City Democrats following revelations this week that his sexting with women continued long after his 2011 resignation from Congress, a new NBC 4 New York/Wall Street Journal/Marist Poll has found.

Weiner’s favorability rating among registered Democrats has tanked since June, from 52 percent to 30 percent, according to the poll conducted Wednesday. Over that same period, the percentage of Democrats who said they had an unfavorable impression of Weiner spiked from 36 to 55.

His lead over City Council Speaker Christine Quinn has also evaporated; 25 percent of Democrats said they’d now vote for her in the Sept. 10 Democratic primary, and 16 percent said they’d back Weiner. A poll conducted last month had Weiner leading Quinn 25 percent to 20 percent.

Last month 59 percent of city Dems said he deserved a second chance. That number’s down now to 45 percent. So much for the “if Huma says it’s okay, it’s okay” strategy.

There is some good news for Weiner fans, though. He’s pretty sure that he’s only had three online sexual relationships since resigning from Congress. He’s confident that it’s no more than that. But, as usual, he can’t say with certitude:

Mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner said Thursday that he may have engaged in online sexual relationships with up to three women since resigning from Congress in 2011.

“I don’t believe I had any more than three,” he said when asked at a press conference how many relationships since his resignation were sexual in nature…

Weiner told reporters Wednesday that he estimated there had been six to 10 women with whom he had virtually engaged in total. He declined to give specifics.

Embarrassing confession: I feel a bit of sympathy for him. I know that’s verboten because he’s a hard-left liberal and, by nearly universal acclaim at this point, a weaselly sleaze, but it’s painful to watch someone torch every last bit of dignity they have to chase their demons. He’s not quite Amanda Bynes, but that analogy seems less inapt by the day. Even his old friends from the New York congressional delegation think he needs “serious psychiatric help.” Why his wife lets him persist in this self-immolation at this point, I have no idea. Clearly, after this poll and the near-certainty of more sexting revelations to come, they’re not going to be the first couple of New York. Weiner calculated, I think, that running now was a good idea because, even if he ended up losing, all the embarrassing stuff left over from 2011 would come out during the campaign and be old news by the time of the next mayoral election in four years. As it turned out, the spectacle of this guy holding a “here’s why new pictures of my wang are on the Internet again” presser for the second time in three years just confirms the suspicion that he lacks the good sense to be trusted with any kind of power. Between that and the fact that, unlike Spitzer, he has no real record to run on either, he’s done as a public servant.

The companion piece to that that you should read today is Politico’s story on the real reason why Weiner was never going to win. He has no field operation; if he made it to the run-off, he’d be out-organized. In many ways, he’s a surprisingly amateur politician for a guy who’s been in office for so long. Except even an amateur would have realized that three post-scandal online affairs is three too many.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What’s most fun about all this is coming to Hot Gas and reading all the cloak-and-dagger international conspiracy theories. Yall crazy!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Premature eject-election.

JetBoy on July 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Allah,

I’l bet you 100 internet $(but I’ll convert them 1:1 if I lose) that Danger wins. I’m betting against NYC having any shame AT ALL. I’m betting that NYC votes for Danger because of huge name recognierection for the NYC lofos and an FU to us moral “purists” and believers in God for the NYC interectionals.

BoxHead1 on July 25, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Good point. Hillary and Huma in no way aided and abetted Zawahiri’s boys rise to power in Egypt. And even if they did, what difference at this point does it make?

Christien on July 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Come on New Yorkers, lets do this! Just take a walk on the wild side and elect Don Carlos. Can’t be worse than Doomberg, plus a little drama and comedy from time to time can’t hurt. Hell, you are the home of Broadway and the Tony after all.

TXUS on July 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Christien on July 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I am embarrassed by the feast you set before me!

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Pelosium Weighs In:

Anthony Weiner explicit messages 2013
San Diego mayor sexual harassment allegations 2013

Rep. Nancy Pelosi on Weiner/Filner:

‘The conduct of some of these people is reprehensible, is so disrespectful of women’

– @daveweigel

26 mins ago from twitter.com/daveweigel by editor

==============================

canopfor on July 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

daveweigel ‏@daveweigel 21s

Amazing that no one’s asked Pelosi whether any of the Filner creep stories got to her during the 2 decades they served together

canopfor on July 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Holder/Weiner 2016

David Blue on July 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Or would you prefer Weiner/Holder?

Either way, the mass media would support that team against any conservative alternative, no matter how upright, law-abiding, competent etc..

David Blue on July 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Explain, contribute, or leave.

itsspideyman on July 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Explain, contribute, or leave.

itsspideyman on July 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Sorry. Cartoon characters don’t tell me what to do.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I prefer to save my sympathy for people who weren’t total jerks to all those around them when they were “on top” *cough-phrasing-cough*.

We don’t see it nearly enough but this is a bit of karma which couldn’t happen to a more deserving fellow… well, if you pass over Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Holder, Napolitano…

Ukiah on July 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Sorry. Cartoon characters don’t tell me what to do.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Oh c’mon — they put Obama in a Spider Man comic four years ago, and you’re fine with having cartoon Barack tell you what to do.

jon1979 on July 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Yea, looks like he blew his wad a little early.

msupertas on July 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Please explain.

Christien on July 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM

you’re fine with having cartoon Barack tell you what to do.

jon1979 on July 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

fail.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Please explain.

Christien on July 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Explain my sense of humor? I just find most conspiracy theories funny. Nothing complicated.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

No, not your sense of humor. But whatever helps you willfully ignore, as Rummy said, “Known Knowns.”

Missing baldilocks.

Christien on July 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Weiner is an on line predator and Huma is a MB plant.
Perfect first couple for NYC. I was reminded earlier that this is just a primary. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Lady troll should be ignored.

ORconservative on July 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

She’s out there somewhere.
Laughing.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Collapse: Weiner goes limp in new post-scandal poll

Lemee guess…the oh-so politically aware voters had already forgotten about the first scandal?

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Collapse: Weiner goes limp in new post-scandal poll

Best headline of the day!

Archer on July 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Founder of the Pervert Party.

BobMbx on July 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Guess he’s out of ‘Weiner Waivers’ !

BillyPenn on July 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I don’t think Christopher Stevens or Brian Terry would share your naive giddiness.
If they were alive, of course.

FlaMurph on July 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I don’t live in NYC and can’t vote against him. I accept that.

But is there a way for me to vote against Huma Abedin having anything to do with the governance of any city, state or nation ever again? She is repellent like her puppeteer, Hilllary.

jangle12 on July 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

If they were alive, of course.

FlaMurph on July 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM

As I’ll also be “not alive” fairly soon, I choose laughter over ponderous gloom. YMMV

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

If they were alive, of course.

FlaMurph on July 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Yes, it’s good all these fake scandals entertain some.

kim roy on July 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Sure, that’s why you come to a conservative website when all heck is breaking loose and with the president in office currently.

Go away. You insult the posters here with that and whatever attempt at sympathy or nonsense your “not alive” means.

We are all dying, some of us faster/slower than others. Doesn’t mean we have to shut of the brain and make fun of the other inmates.

kim roy on July 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM

kim roy on July 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Hmm. Seems I’ve stumbled into an “Alice In Wonderland” version of Hot Air. Oh, well. If one can’t have fun on a Weiner thread, there’s just no fun to be had. Feel free to ignore.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Yes, it’s good all these fake scandals entertain some.

kim roy on July 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Ah, yes. The “What difference does it make?!” crowd. Lovely people.

Christien on July 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM

You wandered away from making fun of the thread subject and to the actual posters.

But you keep deflecting.

kim roy on July 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Ah, yes. The “What difference does it make?!” crowd. Lovely people.

Christien on July 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Liberals/mobys. Must always be on the watch.

kim roy on July 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Just because you vote “R” doesn’t mean that you can’t laugh when your own side says nutty b.s. And I do.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM

kim roy on July 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Too clever by half is being overly generous.

Christien on July 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM

jangle12 on July 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Work against the puppeteer in 2016?

One or the other Clinton has had public office for thirty years or more. Without a powerful position, they’re just another set of rich Dem fundraisers.

Wethal on July 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Just won’t keep digging, will you?

You see “nutty b.s.”. I see people horrified and baffled. Four dead embassy staff. Two dead border agents. Millions upon millions who are either unemployed, underemployed, on food stamps, welfare or have given up. I see a very power government agency using it’s power to shape governments. Spying. As useless as the “press” is here, the fact that the government is in control of them is chilling. I won’t even talk about what is going on overseas.

But you continue to laugh. Glad you find it all amusing when horrified people try to make sense of it.

Moby.

kim roy on July 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I hope none of the online relationships was with Debbie Wasserman-Schultz…..

ctmom on July 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I, on the contrary, do. In fact, I hope we find out that Carlos & DWS had some sort of online 3-way relationship with Stephanie Cutter – that would be something special! :)

Anti-Control on July 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM

kim roy on July 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Time. I’m using mine for as much joy as I can fit in. Peace.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM

He’s not quite Amanda Bynes

Quotes like this are the sneaky/snarky ones I despise. There is no comparison. Amanda Bynes is an inept child actor gone stupid. She has no authority and the only one she hurts is herself.

Wiener is a liberal lackey ex-congressmen who damaged the lives of hundreds of millions of Americans. He is a pathological liar who whose damage will continue for generations.

Amanda Bynes is just a sad story for bad t.v. programming.

Rode Werk on July 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Clinton/Danger 2016

shorebird on July 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM

The brothers will get you, sooner or later.

What a racket. The marriage to Huma Abedin, a Clinton insider, enables Anthony Weiner to resurrect a debased career and deflect attention from his psychotic antics even as he continues them. The marriage to Anthony Weiner, a prominent Jewish progressive, enables Huma Abedin to deflect attention from her associations with various Islamic supremacists even as, during her tenure as a top State Department official, American policy embraces Islamic supremacists.

But let’s not discuss that.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Indeed, indeed.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM

She’s willing to take that chance and laugh away others’ security. What a lovely person.

Christien on July 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Weiner Clown and Huma Clown.

Lotsa clowns!

Sherman1864 on July 26, 2013 at 6:25 PM

It’s all good.

New Yorkers don’t have (? can’t afford?) children anymore.

Can we call it Fly Open country yet?

WryTrvllr on July 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Weiner offers them some stiff competition.

dthorny on July 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Please Anthony, Please don’t go.

edsjim on July 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Both of them went limp.
Well Huma, your going to have to be the bread winner now (divorced/not) that dickhead wont get a job anywhere.

mmcnamer1 on July 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM