Video: The obligatory “Scarborough yells at Carney for calling the IRS scandal ‘phony’” clip

posted at 2:01 pm on July 24, 2013 by Allahpundit

Not just for calling the scandal “phony,” though. His ire peaks when Carney sneers at him for pushing the GOP party line, which is not something you say to a guy who’s worked very, very hard to build his “no labels” media brand. How much water does this Joe need to carry for gun-control fans before the White House cuts him a break on the “party shill” accusation? Good lord. Oh, and by the way — Scarborough’s right in the substance of his criticism. Carney did indeed initially spin the IRS scandal as a Cincinnati issue back in May, before evidence surfaced that IRS officials in Washington had input too. What makes the scandal “pretend,” apparently, is that Issa hasn’t laid it on Obama’s doorstep. That’s how much Jay cares about the targeting in this case, his lip service to “inappropriate” conduct aside.

As your companion reading, enjoy — and I do mean enjoy — Reid Cherlin’s piece in The New Republic demanding the end of the pointless, mind-numbing pantomime of accountability that you and I know as the daily White House press briefing.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Let.

It.

Burn.

nukemhill on July 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Carney is Baghdad Bob.

He makes Goebbels chickenshit.

Schadenfreude on July 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Scarborough is a slimeball, but he was terrific in this exchange. Props to him for that. Jay Carney didn’t know what to say once he was called out on his “Cincinnati rogue employees” BS. Imagine if this happened to Carney and Obama on a regular basis. They’d never appear before a camera again.

Doughboy on July 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Mika: I like it when he gets angry!

Christien on July 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

“I’m not somebody you talk down to from your podium!”

“Who do you think I am?!”

It’s ok, Joe. We know exactly who you are.

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Pfft. Catfight?

BuckeyeSam on July 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

“I’m not somebody you talk down to from your podium!”

“Who do you think I am?!”

It’s ok, Joe. We know exactly who you are.

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Still, at least he pushed back against Carney and his ridiculous spin. Even if it is just one prostitute asking for professional courtesy from another…..

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Heh. Yeah, Joe didn’t like that, did he? Carney spit on his finger and stuck it deep into Jay’s ear,……then slowly twisted it.

a capella on July 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Even a 16 yr old first timer can shatter JayC’s confidence !

burrata on July 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Ack!

Jay’s ear

s/b Joe’s

a capella on July 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Can they both incapacitate each other?

Please?

22044 on July 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

That was kind of like watching this:

dpduq on July 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Carney is Baghdad Bob.

Schadenfreude on July 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Naw. Baghdad Bob had more integrity.

HiJack on July 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Joe saw an easy opportunity to toss a bone to us “RWNJs” and took it – I’m sure he enjoyed it about as much as we enjoy cleaning up after the dog when it gets into the trash and then pukes the contents all over the rug.

He’s now free to act like the liberal he really is for a few more months before needing to perform this bit of kabuki theater again.

Gator Country on July 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Doughboy on July 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

What are you talking about? They hardly appear before the press as it is! All of ‘em are nothing but lying, marxist, cowards.

HiJack on July 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Carney is Baghdad Beltway Bob.

Schadenfreude on July 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Christien on July 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Jay Carney’s face is actually melting like an evil cartoon character. It’s bizarre. Looks like being the chief propagandist for an evil fascist regime at war with it own citizens takes its toll — at least on one’s face.

Rational Thought on July 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM

HiJack on July 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Actually Obama does a lot of appearances before cameras. The problem is it’s all tightly controlled by the White House and no reporter dares to go off-script(and that’s assuming they even want to).

Doughboy on July 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Fake Republican with Fake Concern

faraway on July 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Hey, Jay is just following the lead of the rat-eared mullato. Apparently the fragile economy is because the GOP blocked his super-smart budget priorities. Nevermind the bastard couldn’t even get his pathetic non-starter of a budget submission through the Senate, it was somehow the GOP at fault.

Seriously, when do we start collecting the torches and pitchforks?

Happy Nomad on July 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I’m surprised Carney didn’t call Joe a racist.

John the Libertarian on July 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Actually Obama does a lot of appearances before cameras.

Doughboy on July 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

So does Anthony Weiner (aka Carlos Danger). What’s your point?

Seriously, there is a huge difference between photo-ops and appearing before a camera. Even that 17 minute lecture on the fact he was Trayvon Martin was not what you can call an appearance. It was theater to appease blacks angry that it didn’t work to make a worthless street thug into a civil rights issue.

Happy Nomad on July 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Happy Nomad on July 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I’ve seen the banhammer wielded for less than that.

John the Libertarian on July 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Joe Scar will feel the rath of NSA and IRS…look for his apology soon.

d1carter on July 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Joe had to prove he really is a conservative after getting called out recently for being the Obama mouthpiece that he is.

Nice try, Joe, lol.

xblade on July 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Joe Scar will feel the rath of NSA and IRS…look for his apology soon.

d1carter on July 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

“wrath”…sheesh.

d1carter on July 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Rational Thought on July 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM

My first thought exactly.

Vajayjay isn’t looking well these days.

pain train on July 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Scarborough is at the point of throwing everything but the kitchen sink to keep his job.
Mika has taken over “Morning Mika” and Schmoe is always “via remote” because I think the ratings are higher when that pompous ass is absent. He’s probably sitting back in his dressing room when that do his “remotes”.

Marcus on July 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Happy Nomad on July 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I’ve seen the banhammer wielded for less than that.

John the Libertarian on July 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I agree 100%. I thought we’ve moved on from that to mixed ancestry biracial!

Or can we all just agree on chimera (at least in the case of JugEars)?

pain train on July 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I love the new Democrat talking point methodology:

Make bold claims about “facts” and never provide any of these allegedly pertinent “facts”

Much like Sebelius recently comparing opposition to Obamacare as comparable to segregationists that opposed civil rights. HOW are they similar ? Oh, we aren’t going to say. We’re just going to flame on.

deadrody on July 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I’m tired of these false theatrics between a bunch of whores and of the expectation that we’re supposed to be thrilled someone somewhat stood up to [fill in the blank of the leftist creep] when all he was really doing is defending his vanity.

Let me know when an actual conservative takes on a leftist and flays him without mercy (not one of the bullsh*t half-as* “smackdowns”). Because I haven’t seen one yet. I have to go back to Newt’s clips at the debate when he bit*h-slapped Scott Pelley, or to his 2008 convention dressing down of that CNN reporter. That’s how starved we are for real conservative indignation and confrontation.

rrpjr on July 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Maybe it’s just me but Carney appeared to be squirming when Joe confronted him. Carney doesn’t seem to handle criticism well.

Kingfisher on July 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Nothing more than two streetwalkers fighting over the contents of a drunk’s pockets.

LegendHasIt on July 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

hey, vote ‘em out in 2014 and we can get it taken care of.

johnnyU on July 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM

This obama-appointed azzhole, the link to DC, is out of the country…ever since…how convenient. He s/b in jail, with the video-producer of Benghazi.

Schadenfreude on July 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

How quaint, two wussies playing a game.

Bmore on July 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM

He s/b in jail, with instead of the video-producer of Benghazi.

Schadenfreude on July 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Fixed.

UltimateBob on July 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM

..one would be a little more impressed were this asshat not doing his lecture as a means of spiking his ratings on a cable network that was the functional equivalent of a festering septic tank.

Exit question: wonder where his tam-poon ear rings are?

The War Planner on July 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

..one would be a little more impressed were this assshat not doing his lecture as a means of spiking his ratings on a cable network that was the functional equivalent of a festering septic tank.

Exit question: wonder where his tam-poon ear rings are?

The War Planner on July 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Happy Nomad on July 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I’ve seen the banhammer wielded for less than that.

John the Libertarian on July 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I agree. The guy’s constant references to Obama’s racial heritage are an embarrassment, and I’m surprised they haven’t attracted a moderator’s attention yet.

HTL on July 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Joe Scar is not going to like Dear Leader calling the scandals phony today in his big speech no one listened to…I hope this doesn’t come between Joe and Mika.

d1carter on July 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM

MSNBC and the entire NBC News organization is doing everything they can to ignore this story, like children running around screaming with their fingers in their ears when they don’t want to hear something they don’t like. Unfortunately, even Joe, who tries to toe the company line, can’t ignore it.

Tater Salad on July 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM

HTL on July 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Oh, lighten up…think about “white hispanics” and you’ll calm down.

NJ Red on July 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

HTL on July 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Really? Care to provide time references to back up your claim or are leftists supporting the KKK again?

Kingfisher on July 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Oh, lighten up…think about “white hispanics” and you’ll calm down.

NJ Red on July 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Oh yeah, it’s just that I’m so uptight, maaaan. And besides, someone else is misbehaving so it’s OK if people around here do it too. That, if you will pardon me, is a very immature attitude.

I suggest you try something similar at work and see how fast you get hauled into Human Resources for a good talking to.

Kingfisher on July 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Look, he did it yesterday, and he did it again today. That’s two too many times in my book. If you are trying to tell me that he has never done it before, then I retract the word “constant” and will replace it with “recent”. Will that make you happy?

HTL on July 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA, way to go JOE! I wish more journalists would tell that little pipsqueak to pipe down and answer their questions instead of rambling on and on, spouting the same tire old talking points over and over and over again.

And, Cherlin’s right…it would be even better if they put an end to

scalleywag on July 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM

You have to give it to Carney – he stays on point.

hoakie on July 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM

HTL on July 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM

You really are an “uptight” bonehead, huh? Mr. Political Correctness. I get enough of that from Washington, thanks though.

NJ Red on July 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

There is no question that activity that occured at the White House … er… IRS was inappropriate

BWAH HA HA HA HA

bitsy on July 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM

So I guess Lois Lerner is still on the payroll?

elowe on July 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM

HTL on July 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I’m focusing on Carney’s statements about the IRS scandal while you’re focused on Obama’s racial heritage. I could find nothing about Obama’s racial heritage after reviewing the video a second time but I’m concerned about this country while you apparently are focused entirely on race. You cannot seem to let it go.

Kingfisher on July 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Can you say that boys & girls? obligatory

Sure you can.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on July 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Kingfisher on July 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Ah, now I think I understand your point, and your request for a time reference too. My original blockquote was of John the Libertarian’s objection to Happy Nomad’s use of a race-specific term to describe Obama in his comments. When you asked me for a time reference, I thought you were asking me to search the HotAir archives to find all the other instances where he (Happy Nomad) has used the term.

Anyway, it had nothing to do with anything said in the video; my apologies for the confusion.

HTL on July 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I saw this this morning, and unfortunately, Joe backed off. He didn’t hold Jay Carney’s feet to the fire by making him answer any of the follow-up questions. He seemed tough at the beginning, but didn’t follow through.

lizzieillinois on July 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Shocker…

elowe on July 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM

WTH is this narrative the ” We” can ONLY FOCUS ON ONE SINGULAR ISSUE AT A TIME – Jay ? Are we THAT INEPT- that we can’t listen to partisan lies from a President focused like a laser on the economy AND GET A SPECIAL PROSECUTOR GOING on the IRS scandal??
Really Jay ? Just one thing at a time Jay ? Benghazi- Jay ?

Go to 2:49 of the Carnhole clip and see where this LIAR goes into the freudian slip about activities at the WHITE HOUSE…..err IRS…..

Jay- Why was Stephanie Cutter – a campaign consultant – meeting with the IRS deputy level people there?

Oh- you’ll get back to us on that when the economy is fixed? Great.

FlaMurph on July 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM

You have to give it to Carney – he stays on point.

hoakie on July 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Gimme 10 minutes with Carnhole- I’ll prove you wrong.

FlaMurph on July 24, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I understand now. We were talking about two different topics.

Kingfisher on July 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM

My guess is, the closer this gets to the White House, the more shrill will be the complaints about “phony scandals”. I’m surprised there aren’t many people actually asking questions about, if this, then this, as concerns the IRS Scandal. First, if the IRS actually stopped 200+ tea party groups from getting involved in the election, it was indeed responsible for some of the vote not showing up. If you don’t believe that, just imagine defunding all of the Democrats GOTV projects and see if they would complain.

Secondly, you have an IRS willing to leak information about Republicans and treat tea party organizations differently. This is the same IRS Obama wants us to trust with our medical data? I think, before we do that, we have to know, as a country, if we can trust them any more.

Someone has to recognize the importance of this and tell Carney he needs to start asking questions, so he can answer questions. Just calling this IRS scandal phony isn’t enough and it will never be.

Finally, shame on the MSM for not covering this scandal, and it is a scandal. There is so much importance attached to the IRS story that the only possible reason for the MSM avoiding it is they’re afraid of where it will lead.

bflat879 on July 24, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Jay Carney is talking out of both sides here: First he said it was a phony scandal, now he’s saying it is a scandal, which is now under control. Which is it? BTW, Jay, lets do talk about the economy. Your policies were suppose to “save Detroit” right? I guess not now.

Frank T.J Mackey on July 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Joe pretends to be a Republican about once a month.

July is now checked off, come again for his August performance.

RJL on July 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Poor Joey. Sold his soul, made excuses and NOW complains about being conned.

Bend over and smile Joey! You earned it!

GarandFan on July 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Frank T.J Mackey on July 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM

And then at the end, Carney admitted they needed to clean up the IRS and get to the bottom of the scandal, or something to that effect. Say what you want about Joe S, he rattled Carney and knocked him off his talking points.

PatMac on July 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM

For a primer on how to handle this and other scandals, simply read the last 300 pages of John Ross’ book Unintended Consequences.

It really should have been happening by now.

fossten on July 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM