Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on July 22, 2013 by Allahpundit

Liz Cheney has opened a new front in the battle for the soul of the Republican Party with her decision to challenge Sen. Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.). The fight pits conservatives willing to work across the aisle with a newer breed that views compromise as defeat…

“When you look at how conservative Sen. Enzi is, my fear is this won’t be an ideological campaign, which is the type of clash I welcome. It will be a personality-style campaign more than anything else,” Ari Fleischer, who served as White House Press Secretary for President George W. Bush, told The Hill. “Races of that nature tend to become more harmful and divisive over time, and more uncomfortable for everyone involved.”…

“Everybody agrees on the importance of compromise for the good of the nation. But I believe there comes a moment where you have to tell the difference between compromise and capitulation,” Cheney told The Hill.

“The code of the West is important — its last pillar is knowing where to draw the line.”

***

Saying she is ready to “stand and fight,” the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney said she entered the race because she is “deeply concerned about what’s happening in Washington and what it means for the state of Wyoming.”…

Describing herself as a “constitutional conservative,” Cheney voiced concerns not only about Democratic policies, but also with politicians within her own party.

“When I hear leaders of the Republican Party saying we need to move to the left, we need to moderate, you know, that is a recipe for disaster,” Cheney said. “What we need are people who can stand up and explain why we believe what we believe, why we believe in a limited government and low taxes and a strong national defense, and why we believe in the free enterprise system — because it’s raised more people out of poverty than any system that’s ever existed.”

***

Sen. Mike Enzi’s fundraising efforts have gotten off to a sluggish start this year, but he’s received support from Republican establishment and heavyweight political action committees ahead of his primary fight against Liz Cheney.

The Wyoming Republican received $7,500 from Koch Industries PAC, the committee affiliated with the company owned by megadonors Charles and David Koch, according to a POLITICO review of Enzi’s second quarter campaign finance reports filed with the Federal Election Commission…

The three-term incumbent also received support from the leadership PACs of establishment Republicans such as Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Sens. Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.

***

“I have grown to admire and respect Mike Enzi. I’ll tell you, he’s one of these solid guys,” McCain, 76, said in an interview on Bloomberg Television’s “Political Capital with Al Hunt.” “I know nothing that Mike Enzi would do that didn’t deserve re-election.”…

“I don’t know a person in our conference that doesn’t admire, respect, and have great affection for” Enzi, McCain said.

***

Thoughts on the tea party?

I think the tea party has been a force for good. I think they’ve injected a fiscal discipline into the system that wasn’t there before. I think that they reminded our elected representatives that they work for the people that elected them. And I also think that the kind of change going on inside the Republican Party — it’s the kind of change you often see after a party loses an election. We lost the last two cycles pretty badly. It often results new leadership coming to the floor and a new generation stepping up to the plate.

Should we expect the vice president to hit the campaign trail very much?

He will not be. He’s very supportive of my run, obviously. And thrilled that I’m getting into the race. I don’t want him on the campaign trail because I want people to understand that I’m doing this on my own. So he won’t be campaigning around Wyoming for me. I’m dedicated to earning it myself.

***

Only 31 percent of Wyoming voters believe Liz Cheney is a “Wyomingite,” according to a new poll.

Public Policy Polling tweeted the results of their poll on Monday, with more Wyoming polling to be released Tuesday morning…

PPP said 62 percent of those surveyed for the poll were Republicans while 22 percent were Democrats.

***

JONES: But also the people in Wyoming apparently don’t like it very much either if you look at the polling data. But here’s what’s interesting to me, I’ve watched Liz Cheney. I don’t think she’s big on potholes in Wyoming. I don’t think this about the people of Wyoming. I don’t think she’s about the Republican Party that much because she’s going to get a net zero increase in Republicans if she wins.

I think she’s running for president. I think this is about the Cheney brand. I think she’s running for president in 2020…

PERINO: (inaudible) growing up there. So I talked to my Aunt Patty Sue runs Memory Lanes Bowling Alley in Rawlins, Wyoming. I have other family there that are building businesses and trying to make a living that way.

And I assumed that she would say something along the lines of, well we like Liz Cheney but you know, let, she should wait her turn. Let’s just see how it goes. I was surprised, my Aunt said, you know, the Senate doesn’t come with a lifetime guarantee.

STEPHANOPOULOS: What?

PERINO: And I would take a listen to Liz Cheney. So I think the Republicans might actually be more willing at least to hear her out.

***

***

Mike Enzi is Wyoming to the core. Liz Cheney prefers the gilded salons of faraway places in distant states where she can expound about her politics of anger and gridlock. She has now airlifted herself for a brief stay in Wyoming that will end when she realizes that voters do not approve of her lack of respect for loyalty and her crass ambition for power.

Before the rooster crows a hundred more times, Liz Cheney will drop out of the race, and in November 2014, Mike Enzi will be reelected to the Senate.

***

***

“We need fifty more of you,” Rush Limbaugh told newly-announced Wyoming Senate candidate Liz Cheney on Monday, then “we’ll be talking.”…

Limbaugh nonetheless had high praise for the GOP firebrand. “Liz Cheney might turn out to be one of [Dick Cheney’s] greatest contributions” to America, he concluded.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

I am sure she carries a fire extinguisher with her too..

Electrongod on July 22, 2013 at 10:45 PM

So now that the Koch brothers are backing Enzi, will the Left campaign for a Cheney?

nobar on July 22, 2013 at 10:46 PM

What’s up EG?

KCB on July 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Screw it.

FIRST!

Lanceman on July 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Shouldn’t you be over in Syria helping your “rebel heroes”, Liz? Or maybe helping at a welcoming stand at our formerly southern border? If you don’t believe in these things, Liz, then why don’t you spend your time campaigning against McCain and Rubio? I know they are not up for reelection so soon, but you would be getting a head start these days. BTW, how’s your lobbyist husband?

VorDaj on July 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Hold on..

What’s up EG?

KCB on July 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Me..

All the way up there..:)

Electrongod on July 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Liz Cheney should TAKE OVER Wyoming!

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Well, if so, you can thank Ho Chi Minh for that.

VorDaj on July 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Liz Cheney is a CARPETBAGGER.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Go LizDarthCheney!!

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Me..

All the way up there..:)

Electrongod on July 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I saw it. Hence the ‘screw it’.

Lanceman on July 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

So if Darth Vader’s daughter becomes a Senator… how long before she puts on the gold bikini?

malclave on July 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Liz Cheney is a CARPETBAGGER.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Hillary is too. Maybe there could get married. It’s all the rage these days, marrying inside your sex.

VorDaj on July 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I saw it. Hence the ‘screw it’.

Lanceman on July 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

LOL…

Electrongod on July 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

In Case,you were under a rock today,

737 scrape-ing its nose all the
way down the 7,000 FT.Runway!
=============================

EXCLUSIVE: Southwest Plane Skids on Collapsed Gear at LGA Runway

Video obtained exclusively by NBC 4 New York shows the Southwest Airlines plane skidding down the runway at LaGuardia Airport Monday after its landing gear collapsed.
================================

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Well played Sir!

KCB on July 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I see libdie’s young ‘boy’ was using his name again today on the justice for Mista Gode Griyah today.
He got gode teef, dawg. He gon’ be him a roce’ scientis’ afta he get out da Em-bee-ay.

Lanceman on July 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM

And most of those 31 percent were actually visiting from California and Colorado.

VorDaj on July 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM

One for the road:

Southwest landing incident at LaGuardia Airport

Southwest flight 345 passenger: ‘It felt like a car accident;’ they had no idea the nose was on fire. No warning from pilot before impact – @idasiegal4ny

34 secs ago by editor
=========================

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Was gon’ be heeim a rocke’ scientis’.
That future was cut short.

Lanceman on July 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM

…if Ann Coulter doesn’t like her…that means I should take a good look at her!

KOOLAID2 on July 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I wouldn’t count a Chaney out just yet, in Wyoming.

d1carter on July 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Do you KNOW how I KNOW that Liz Cheney should WIN this election?

Because NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE has even MENTIONED how many times Enzi voted with Harry Reid and/or Pelosi and/or Obama…….. which means he must have A LOT – because of the SILENCE….

It’s the SAME WAY you know that ANY article that denigrates ANY Politician is about a Democrat or a Republican:

If they are a Republican – The Media say so in THE FIRST SENTENCE….

If they are a Democrat – Party Affiliation NEVER GETS MENTIONED!!

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Dick Cheney – Liz Cheney – Ho Chi Minh – the connection that binds

Dick Cheney’s last deferment, before he ran out the clock, was to become a father (in the making). Married men had been exempt from the draft but then it was changed as the draft was increased big time to having to be a father. Liz Cheney was born 9 months and 2 days later. She is the direct result of Dick Cheney wanting so much to avoid military service. She should probably send a nice card to Vietnam each and every anniversary of Ho Chi Minh’s birthday as well as on her own.

VorDaj on July 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM

“Where was Zimmerman?” – LSM

Electrongod on July 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Liz Cheney is a CARPETBAGGER.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM

…and her sister is a muncher!…but I’m okay with that.

KOOLAID2 on July 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Liz Cheney is a CARPETBAGGER.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Um, so was her dad.

I worked on his house in Highland Park before GW picked him.

He had to set up residence in Wyoming pronto.

cozmo on July 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I thought the media would have turned on Dear Leader but now I Wonder…Chris Issak.

d1carter on July 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM

So, could have found a worse picture of her? That’s just tacky, really. I’d think a week of Rolling Stone backlash would reinforce that the art, not the text, is the thing.

King B on July 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Primary all of them…every incumbent up for re-election…primary all of them…vote them out if they are not up to the task.

If the current crop of the GOP were so darn good, so darn special…we’d own both the House and Senate….and Obama would be reduced to going to foreign funerals and coronations, signing Conservative legislation into law, and nothing else.

Primary all of them.

Make the incumbents earn our vote…earn it…and not with promises. Show us what they have actually accomplished that has helped this Nation, is Constitutional, and fiscally sound.

If they cannot…push them aside.

Being elected to be a representative of the People is not a career path…it is a citizen acting according to the Constitution to represent constituents, their district, their state and finally the Nation.

We’ve allowed an aristocracy to take over.

We allowed it.

Encouraged it.

And the McCain’s, and Graham’s, Boehner’s, Cantor’s and all the know this…and us? They could not care any less.

It’s just a job, baby…a damn good paying job, too…and you can get rich beyond one’s wildest dreams of avarice if you play the game the right way.

Franklin was right all along…

We were given a Republic…and we can no longer keep it…the pigs are at the trough, and have been, and they will not willingly go away.

coldwarrior on July 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Liz Cheney was born 9 months and 2 days later.

VorDaj on July 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Inconclusive. You need to provide evidence proving hte date of conception.

malclave on July 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM

nobar on July 22, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Well, they’re in a pickle. Most likely, they’ll sit back and watch the Republicans eat their own in this race.

conservative pilgrim on July 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM

malclave on July 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Conspiracy nutballs don’t need evidence.

cozmo on July 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM

coldwarrior on July 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM

PRIMARY THEM ALL!!!!!

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM

On a bright note…

A baby was born today..
Along with hundreds, if not thousands of others…

But you only know the name of one….

Electrongod on July 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I smell fear
I teach my kids to face it.
Republicans meet Ms. Cheney.

seesalrun2 on July 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM

If they are a Republican – The Media say so in THE FIRST SENTENCE….

If they are a Democrat – Party Affiliation NEVER GETS MENTIONED!!

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM

When CNN did a report on Gary Condit, the showed a sound bite and listed his name on the screen “Gary Condit(Rep)-CA.”

They thought they were slick — he was a Representative (Rep) with a party affiliation of Democrat.

Liam on July 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM

You’re wrong.
voted against o-care. stimulus, amnesty, etc. etc. etc. ranked 11th most conservative senator, puts him in the top tier of cons. Liz not so much. whats her take on amnesty, gay marriage, etc.?

Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Honestly, I don’t know anything about Enzi except the repeated declarations that he’s “conservative” from noted anti-Conservatives. IF that’s the case, why is Liz Cheney running in a state she’s only lived in for a year+ to unseat said “conservative.” Both sides aren’t making sense.

conservative pilgrim on July 22, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Can we agree that there is a difference between “work across the aisle” and “bugger me Chuck”?

arnold ziffel on July 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Pic of the Day: Maerose Prizzi’s Voted For, Signed, Sealed & Delivered ‘Ho Lee Fuk!’

Resist We Much on July 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Some assembly required…

Electrongod on July 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Liz Cheney is a wonderful person.

I want to see her as Senator and then president.

bluegill on July 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Bushes, Clintons, Cheneys and Kennedys and other royalty – be gone – go over to England – they are into that crap.

VorDaj on July 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Sarah Palin needs to endorse Liz.

bluegill on July 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

McCain: I endorse Mike Enzi over Liz Cheney

…just saw this thread from earlier today…guess who I gotta go for?

KOOLAID2 on July 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I don’t really know much about Enzi or Cheney.

Enzi has a 17 year voting record in the Senate, but I’m not familiar with it. He voted NO on the most current Senate “comprehensive” immigration bill. He voted NO on cloture for the 2007 Senate “comprehensive” immigration bill.

Enzi also claims to have voted against TARP, the auto bailout, and the “stimulus”, but I’m too lazy to go check the Senate records right now.

So far, Enzi sounds pretty good.

Cheney – ?

Does anyone have any advise? (The only reason I ask is that I am in no way a resident of Wyoming.)

jaime on July 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

this is a total waste. It actually shows the lack of seriousness of the R party.

while barry is pushing Affirmative Housing, and Affordable h/c and a myriad of other activist agendas from immigration to EPA to NSA…well the R party is navel gazing…and actively working to assure barry of a Legacy.

good job guys

r keller on July 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Will this mean no internet sales tax?

Bmore on July 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM

arnold ziffel on July 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Since Ronald the Magnificent I don’t know that there has been any difference.

jaime on July 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Sarah Palin needs to endorse Liz.

blueballs on July 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

…and why is that?…endorsal Fin?

KOOLAID2 on July 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Breadball?

Bmore on July 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Sarah Palin needs to endorse Liz.

bluegill on July 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

This is a joke.

KCB on July 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Liz Cheney is a wonderful person.

I want to see her as Senator and then president.

blueball on July 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM

…well Liz…there’s…the kiss of death!

KOOLAID2 on July 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Will this mean no internet sales tax?

Bmore on July 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Internet sales tax????

We are near the end of civilization…

Dogs marrying cats..
Germany bombing Peril Harbor…
Hot in the summer.
Cold in the winter..

Oh and…

No sales tax..

Electrongod on July 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Sarah Palin needs to endorse Liz.

bluegill on July 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Why would she? It sounds like Enzi is a lot more tea party than Liz Cheney.

FloatingRock on July 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Ann Coulter @AnnCoulter

That’s great that money has to be wasted on saving a conservative senate seat from Wyoming. Way to go Cheneys! – http://politi.co/16173to

I was neutral on this race until Skeletor came out in support of Enzi. Now, I’m all in for Cheney…..

takeamericabackin10 on July 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Do you KNOW how I KNOW that Liz Cheney should WIN this election?

How amusing. I was reading this weekend Enzi has an “A+” rating with a Conservative think-tank for his “Conservatism” and has a whopping 86 percent approval in Wyoming with Republicans.
Liz has a lesbian sister and I’d wonder when it came to new federal issues like gay marriage that would be a reliable Enzi “no” vote how the social cons would feel about Liz there.

Marcus on July 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

You’re wrong.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM

If I’m wrong – why hasn’t The Media covered this? Don’t think so…..in fact:

McCain: I endorse Mike Enzi over Liz Cheney

…just saw this thread from earlier today…guess who I gotta go for?

KOOLAID2 on July 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

….it would appear that you are wrong – as McCain would ONLY endorse the REAL Establishment Republican…a.k.a “Democrat”…….

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

… a wonderful person…..

blueball on July 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM

…JugEars is a wonderful person…Ted Kennedy was a wonderful person….John McCain is a wonderful person….Jesse Jackson is a wonderful person…Joe Biden is a wonderful person…everybody is a wonderful person!….and?

KOOLAID2 on July 22, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Royal ‘Toons: His Royal Highness, The Prince of Cambridge

Resist We Much on July 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM

The first one was great…

If I was that baby..

I would be scared sh!tless…
“Just leave me alone to be myself….”

Electrongod on July 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM

KOOLAID2 on July 22, 2013 at 11:25 PM

You forgot St. Trayvon. Racist!

Liam on July 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

…/
(:->)

KOOLAID2 on July 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I’ve had some correspondence with Sen. Enzi. Even though I wasn’t a resident of his state he took the time to read my letter to him and to respond personally and discuss all of the questions and concerns I’d raised in my letter. He’s got a pretty solid record and he’s willing to work for and with the citizens of this nation to defend our best interest.

Mike Enzi’s record speaks for him.

Liz Cheney’s father speaks for her.

We don’t need another politician who believes that their position in the congress is an inherited right.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

KOOLAID2 on July 22, 2013 at 11:25 PM

They are all sooooooooooo wonderful, how do we do without them all?!!

Scrumpy on July 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen!!

Scrumpy on July 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Liz going after Enzi reminds me of Kay Bailey Hutchison running against Perry which was greeted with a “What for?” and will probably have the same end result.

Marcus on July 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

So very well said jackie!! Thank you :)

Scrumpy on July 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

In this case I believe either McCain’s Senate colegiality has gotten the better of him or else he is employing reverse psychology, hoping that his endorsement will sink Enzi.

Actually I’ve heard that McCain and the Cheney’s have butted heads over the years and that probably has more to do with it.

FloatingRock on July 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM

The full moon is lovely. No rain here for a change.

Bmore on July 22, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Scrumpy on July 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Good evening, Spritely One!:) Great to see you this evening.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Let me clarify something for you. Sen. Mike Enzi is my senator. Yes I am a Wyoming cowboy. Lizzy is a transplant from VA. i.e. CARPETBAGGER.

I could care less who the maverick endorses. Enzi knows what we need in WY. Lizzy doesn’t know what the ranchers, roughnecks, coal miners etc need.

Enzi represents WY. Lizzy represents Lizzy.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I almost cannot believe how excited some people are getting over Liz at this point in time

Liz Cheney is a wonderful person.

I want to see her as Senator and then president.

bluegill on July 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Why don’t you remind us of what you used to say about Boobio?

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I admit… The picture of Liz getting in Chuck Schumer’s grill and giving him the what-for makes me pine for her election. When she’s done with him, she can turn her “death ray” on “wrong side of the aisle” McCain and Graham too.

KCsecurity1976 on July 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM

jrsrigmvr on July 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Good evening, cowboy! :) Good to see you this evening, Fred. :)

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM

After his interview with Liz Cheney, Limbaugh was going on about how much Dick Cheney did for the country and the conservative movement.

Admittedly, I am not a Dick Cheney fan, but would someone tell me what he has done for the conservative movement? He applied for and received five deferments and Lynne went off the pill when fatherhood was his only way of avoiding service. Now, he is the biggest neocon around. He is not a fiscal conservative; he is a “big government conservative.” He is not a social conservative. He supports crony capitalism. He IS the Republican/Bush establishment endorsing Kay Barely Republican and Trey Grayson.

How is Dick Cheney a conservative?

bw222 on July 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM

KCsecurity1976 on July 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Liz Cheney will be lock-step with McCain and Miss Lucy whenever they want to commit U.S. troops in some third world hellhole.

bw222 on July 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Howdy Fred!! :)

Scrumpy on July 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Fun Fun Fun – Beach Boys

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Has Liz put on a wee bit of weight?

Bmore on July 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Fiscal policy

Enzi supports imposing a new sales tax on internet sales and other sales of interstate commerce. On November 9, 2011 he introduced Senate Bill 1832 which would require businesses to calculate, collect and pay the new tax whenever they sell products or services to consumers from another state, regardless of the manner in which the sale is transacted. The bill provides no exemption for businesses in tax-free states, so even sellers within states that have no sales tax would be required to calculate and pay the new tax.

After the Marketplace Fairness Act (S.1832) failed in the 112th Congress, Enzi reintroduced it (twice) in the 113th Congress as the Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013 (S.336 and S.743).[16]

Enzi has voted for the repeal of legislation governing such things as the estate tax and the “marriage penalty.” Enzi is a signer of Americans for Tax Reform’s Taxpayer Protection Pledge.[17]

He supports partial privatization of Social Security and has consistently voted against measures to expand Medicare or to enroll more children or lower-class individuals in public health care.

A strong supporter of the coal industry, Enzi also rejects alternative energy proposals and advocates Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) and offshore drilling. Enzi’s committee led the first revisions to mine safety laws in 28 years by promoting the use of new technologies to improve mine safety and save lives. He has a somewhat mixed record on trade issues: he has voted to approve most free trade bills but has rejected the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA), one of the largest pieces of such legislation, and is opposed to presidential fast-tracking of trade relation normalization.[18]
Enzi takes a hard-line view on illegal immigration and has been rated highly by groups that support tighter border controls. He has voted in favor of the construction of a fence along the U.S.-Mexican border and against the implementation of guest worker programs. Enzi has voted to uphold the PATRIOT Act and is opposed to calls to cut down on wiretapping and to extend rights to Guantanamo Bay detainees. Enzi also rejected calls for a timetable for military withdrawal from Iraq.[18]
Enzi opposed President Barack Obama’s health reform legislation; he voted against the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in December 2009,[19] and he voted against the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010.[20]

Enzi was one of the Gang of Six senators working to find a bipartisan solution to health care reform.[21] Speaking on the topic, Enzi told the media, “We all want health care reform that will reduce costs, improve quality and expand access without breaking the bank. The bipartisan talks we’re having in the Finance Committee represent the best chance we have of achieving our shared goals, and I urge Democrat (sic) leaders not to close the door on these productive discussions.”[22]

Foreign policy

Despite his strong support of the War in Iraq, he was one of 14 U.S. Senators to vote against the Iraq War funding bill in May 2007 because he opposed the clauses of the bill which increase domestic spending.

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Hi Jackie. Finally a topic I can get on top of. I will do my best to see Mrs. Cheney-Perry scurry back to Virginia.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I couldn’t go for Cheney because I’m tired of politicians trying to turn public offices and Congressional seats into birthrights.

Liam on July 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Because if she ran in her home state, Virginia, where she has lived most of her life, she would likely lose.

So, because she thinks she’d like to run for president from the Senate, she’s going to run on her father’s name.

I find the naked ambition of people like Marco Rubio and Liz Cheney quite entertaining.

str8tface on July 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Sarah Palin needs to endorse Liz.

bluegill on July 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I thought Sarah Palin was as irrelevant as you.

Sarah Palin needs to sit this one out.

bw222 on July 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM

As a conservative, I’m continuously frustrated with the Senate and the group that calls themselves conservatives. If you vote the conservative position 9 times out of 10, but that 10th vote is on the most important thing facing the country and you vote with the Democrats, what good were the other 9.

My problem with the Republicans is there is no leadership. They couldn’t get Reid to pass a budget for 4 years, what kind of deal is that? You could say that has nothing to do with Enzi, but it does. Where were the conservatives trying to get new leadership? The McCains of this world aren’t doing the country any favors by throwing the House under the bus and not forcing the Senate to take up the budget. They should all be ashamed of themselves for throwing the country under the bus and keeping the bloated spending intact by signing on to these continuing resolutions. They can spin them all they want, spending has increased every year Obama has been in office and they didn’t do a thing to slow it down.

I’m not from Wyoming but, if I were, I’d vote for Cheney over Enzi if only for one reason, you have to start somewhere.

bflat879 on July 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM

A little cushion for the pushin so to speak.

Bmore on July 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM

jrsrigmvr on July 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I have to agree with you there, Fred. I think ‘Daddy’s little girl’ would do best to stay in her own backyard.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

That’s good enough for me. I was leaning that way, anyway.

Enzi it is.

jaime on July 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Scrumpy on July 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Howdy Maam

Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

What will lorien think?

Bmore on July 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

williamg on July 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Hi williamg!

Somehow I have a hard time believing stuff that is put out on Wiki, cuz anyone can edit it to suit their purpose… :)

Not picking on you … just sayin’

Scrumpy on July 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM