Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on July 22, 2013 by Allahpundit

Liz Cheney has opened a new front in the battle for the soul of the Republican Party with her decision to challenge Sen. Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.). The fight pits conservatives willing to work across the aisle with a newer breed that views compromise as defeat…

“When you look at how conservative Sen. Enzi is, my fear is this won’t be an ideological campaign, which is the type of clash I welcome. It will be a personality-style campaign more than anything else,” Ari Fleischer, who served as White House Press Secretary for President George W. Bush, told The Hill. “Races of that nature tend to become more harmful and divisive over time, and more uncomfortable for everyone involved.”…

“Everybody agrees on the importance of compromise for the good of the nation. But I believe there comes a moment where you have to tell the difference between compromise and capitulation,” Cheney told The Hill.

“The code of the West is important — its last pillar is knowing where to draw the line.”

***

Saying she is ready to “stand and fight,” the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney said she entered the race because she is “deeply concerned about what’s happening in Washington and what it means for the state of Wyoming.”…

Describing herself as a “constitutional conservative,” Cheney voiced concerns not only about Democratic policies, but also with politicians within her own party.

“When I hear leaders of the Republican Party saying we need to move to the left, we need to moderate, you know, that is a recipe for disaster,” Cheney said. “What we need are people who can stand up and explain why we believe what we believe, why we believe in a limited government and low taxes and a strong national defense, and why we believe in the free enterprise system — because it’s raised more people out of poverty than any system that’s ever existed.”

***

Sen. Mike Enzi’s fundraising efforts have gotten off to a sluggish start this year, but he’s received support from Republican establishment and heavyweight political action committees ahead of his primary fight against Liz Cheney.

The Wyoming Republican received $7,500 from Koch Industries PAC, the committee affiliated with the company owned by megadonors Charles and David Koch, according to a POLITICO review of Enzi’s second quarter campaign finance reports filed with the Federal Election Commission…

The three-term incumbent also received support from the leadership PACs of establishment Republicans such as Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Sens. Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.

***

“I have grown to admire and respect Mike Enzi. I’ll tell you, he’s one of these solid guys,” McCain, 76, said in an interview on Bloomberg Television’s “Political Capital with Al Hunt.” “I know nothing that Mike Enzi would do that didn’t deserve re-election.”…

“I don’t know a person in our conference that doesn’t admire, respect, and have great affection for” Enzi, McCain said.

***

Thoughts on the tea party?

I think the tea party has been a force for good. I think they’ve injected a fiscal discipline into the system that wasn’t there before. I think that they reminded our elected representatives that they work for the people that elected them. And I also think that the kind of change going on inside the Republican Party — it’s the kind of change you often see after a party loses an election. We lost the last two cycles pretty badly. It often results new leadership coming to the floor and a new generation stepping up to the plate.

Should we expect the vice president to hit the campaign trail very much?

He will not be. He’s very supportive of my run, obviously. And thrilled that I’m getting into the race. I don’t want him on the campaign trail because I want people to understand that I’m doing this on my own. So he won’t be campaigning around Wyoming for me. I’m dedicated to earning it myself.

***

Only 31 percent of Wyoming voters believe Liz Cheney is a “Wyomingite,” according to a new poll.

Public Policy Polling tweeted the results of their poll on Monday, with more Wyoming polling to be released Tuesday morning…

PPP said 62 percent of those surveyed for the poll were Republicans while 22 percent were Democrats.

***

JONES: But also the people in Wyoming apparently don’t like it very much either if you look at the polling data. But here’s what’s interesting to me, I’ve watched Liz Cheney. I don’t think she’s big on potholes in Wyoming. I don’t think this about the people of Wyoming. I don’t think she’s about the Republican Party that much because she’s going to get a net zero increase in Republicans if she wins.

I think she’s running for president. I think this is about the Cheney brand. I think she’s running for president in 2020…

PERINO: (inaudible) growing up there. So I talked to my Aunt Patty Sue runs Memory Lanes Bowling Alley in Rawlins, Wyoming. I have other family there that are building businesses and trying to make a living that way.

And I assumed that she would say something along the lines of, well we like Liz Cheney but you know, let, she should wait her turn. Let’s just see how it goes. I was surprised, my Aunt said, you know, the Senate doesn’t come with a lifetime guarantee.

STEPHANOPOULOS: What?

PERINO: And I would take a listen to Liz Cheney. So I think the Republicans might actually be more willing at least to hear her out.

***

***

Mike Enzi is Wyoming to the core. Liz Cheney prefers the gilded salons of faraway places in distant states where she can expound about her politics of anger and gridlock. She has now airlifted herself for a brief stay in Wyoming that will end when she realizes that voters do not approve of her lack of respect for loyalty and her crass ambition for power.

Before the rooster crows a hundred more times, Liz Cheney will drop out of the race, and in November 2014, Mike Enzi will be reelected to the Senate.

***

***

“We need fifty more of you,” Rush Limbaugh told newly-announced Wyoming Senate candidate Liz Cheney on Monday, then “we’ll be talking.”…

Limbaugh nonetheless had high praise for the GOP firebrand. “Liz Cheney might turn out to be one of [Dick Cheney’s] greatest contributions” to America, he concluded.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Conspiracy freak.

John the Libertarian on July 23, 2013 at 2:23 AM

You seem to be hyperventilating now. Might I suggest a period of slow, deep breathing while imagining a placid lake.

VorDaj on July 23, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I tolerate foolishness

VorDaj on July 23, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Yawn.

Someone feels self-important…!

John the Libertarian on July 23, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Might I suggest a period of slow, deep breathing while imagining a placid lake.

VorDaj on July 23, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Conspiracy freak.

John the Libertarian on July 23, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I enjoyed your rant until you started the ad-hominem attack. Why Alinsky when you’re ahead?

John the Libertarian on July 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Well, I guess after being called a ‘Neo-Con’ and insulted by so many in 2006-2007, I just don’t really care for those that support Ron Paul. They never tried to win me over with persuasion, they went Alinsky on me back then. I don’t respond well to be being brow-beaten and cajoled. Ever since, I guess I have loathed them, and I don’t really loathe Ron Paul himself. That’s where that last sentence is coming from, just so you know.

Corporal Tunnel on July 23, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Might I suggest a period of slow, deep breathing while imagining a placid lake.

VorDaj on July 23, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Conspiracy freak.

John the Libertarian on July 23, 2013 at 2:31 AM

With some people it takes longer than others. You must be one of them.

VorDaj on July 23, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Corporal Tunnel on July 23, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I hear you. I get so fed up at the people who smear libertarians on this site that I find myself — and it’s always the last line, btw — wanting to slam them with a really good one. But it’s always the last line I end up erasing. Your argument was sound.

John the Libertarian on July 23, 2013 at 2:38 AM

With some people it takes longer than others. You must be one of them.

VorDaj on July 23, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Conspiracy freak.

John the Libertarian on July 23, 2013 at 2:38 AM

John the Libertarian on July 23, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Cheers, mate. :-)

Corporal Tunnel on July 23, 2013 at 2:43 AM

There isn’t a politician that’s been in office for more than 4 years that I wouldn’t mind seeing booted….

I hope someone Primaries Graham and Boehner – and the rest…..probably be plenty of grumbling about it here if that does happen………

williamg on July 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I’m not opposed to term limits, although I would prefer to persuade voters to make wiser choices, (but if that’s impossible than term limits may be the only way to limit corruption), but if we’re to employ term limits I think we should start with people like McCain, Graham, Boehner and the rest, and end with people like Enzi, rather than the other way around.

But I would rather figure out a way to term-limit Rubio and his ilk and keep Enzi instead.

I think in an ideal world politicians should be judged by the content of their character rather than how long they’ve been in office. It sounds like Enzi has voted against a lot of, if not all of, the worst cronyism in the federal government, such as amnesty, TARP, and even against a lot of the big government Republican programs when Bush/Cheney were in office setting new spending records at the time. That’s probably why Liz decided to primary him, because he’s bad for her lobbyist husband’s cronies bottom line, which is all the government is good for anymore: serving their cronies. We have government of the cronies, by the cronies, for the cronies.

It sounds like Enzi has done a relatively good job representing his voters and is thus very popular with regular folk, even if K-street, where Liz’s husband works, may not appreciate his opposition.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 2:44 AM

-. . . although I would prefer to persuade voters to make wiser choices . . .

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 2:44 AM

It’s not possible.

Axe on July 23, 2013 at 2:48 AM

This is a good question and one that no one in the media seems willing to ask. Even Fox news seems ambivalent, rather skirting the issue in favor of more…”compassionate” questions.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on July 23, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Unless something has changed, as of several years ago the Saudi Royal family, or at least one of them, is a big investors in Fox News and/or its parent company.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 2:51 AM

How do they label Liz as a neo-con? She is most definitely pro-military but that hardly makes her a neo-con.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2013 at 1:11 AM

How is she not? Bush/Cheney were neocon central.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Isn’t that like calling her a “baby boomer” because her parents were ?

deadrody on July 23, 2013 at 3:32 AM

How is she not? Bush/Cheney were neocon central.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Define Neocon.

(If you are bored).

Axe on July 23, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Did Enzi vote for TARP? I like that as a benchmark.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I’ve read that Enzi voted against TARP, against the bailouts, the amnesties, raising the debt ceiling. All the reasons why Wyoming tea partiers should love him, and apparently do, and all the reason why the neocon, RINO, GOP establishment and their cronies would want to primary him in a reverse-tea party. Another factor may be, as I think it was It’sAFactJack pointed out earlier, that Wyoming is a developing energy rich state which the establishment, comprised in large part of the Bush/Cheney political machine, might want to get their hands on, as they have been want to do around the globe over the decades.

Perhaps Liz has calculated that she is an extremely weak, vulnerable candidate in the whole of the United States and is innocently looking for the easiest possible general election race she might possibly be able to win, like political training-wheels, (assuming she can spend enough crony money to win the primary); but taking reality into account and the legacy of the Bush/Cheney machine there are certainly other factors that need to be taken into account.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Define Neocon.

(If you are bored).

Axe on July 23, 2013 at 3:33 AM

The way I understand it the definition has changed over the years, but I don’t care about the literal, legacy definition, I oppose the neocons and what they stand for not the definition, which, generally speaking, includes amnesty for illegal aliens, debt and deficits don’t matter, nation-building overseas while letting America decay and even actively undermining it in the interest of cronies, disregard for the Constitution and Bill of rights, including turning America into a police state, crony capitalism and corporatism, including TARP, the bailouts and stimulus and Keynesianism.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Amnesty for illegals, nation-building our enemies while turning America into a stasi police state have a lot more to do with cronyism, IMO, than keeping America safe. I think the defining characteristic of the neocon establishment is cronyism. Neocons are part of the crony establishment that helped the Democrat side of the crony establishment destroy American. Destroying America wasn’t their explicit goal, IMO, what they were actually doing is selling our freedom and liberty out for power and profit, not to destroy America outright, just a little bit here and a little bit there. Unfortunately the parasites have grown so large and numerous that the hosts are waking up and are about to remove the parasites, so to save themselves the parasites are trying to amnesty tens of millions of new voters that will overwhelmingly vote for big-gov progressives on either side of the isle, (presuming one believes there are still two parties rather than one).

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 4:11 AM

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 3:57 AM

amnesty for illegal aliens

debt and deficits don’t matter

nation-building overseas

disregard for the Constitution and Bill of rights

K. Thank you. :) –But, given that sketch, I don’t know where Liz’s check-marks go. I’m not saying she doesn’t have them, I’m saying I’m ignorant.

Axe on July 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Axe on July 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Yes, but more importantly we know where all of Enzi’s check marks go and most all of his, from what I’ve heard go in the right place, whereas most of Bush/Cheney’s go in the wrong place, and that, I suspect, is one of the reasons the Bush/Cheney machine chose to primary him instead of somebody deserving, like one of their own neocon cronies, or even a neocon that they don’t like, like McCain.

Maybe Liz Cheney is not her dad, but considering that neocons are notorious liars and her husband is a lobbyist lawyer, (Or is it lawyer lobbyist?), I just don’t think I believe her. Regardless of what she says, for example, I have little doubt that next time the ruling class is trying their best to impose amnesty, she’ll be right there with the rest of the neocons.

Where is Liz on arming the Syrian rebels? If she has been consistently opposed to that then at least she can claim that she’s not a foolish neocon like McCain, Graham, Rubio and a lot of other traitors and idiots in Congress.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 4:35 AM

…That is, assuming she’s in the Senate at the time and isn’t up for election too soon.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Axe on July 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM

We’re all ignorant of what she would do in office and that’s why this whole campaign is so stupid. Zell Miller nailed it at the 2004 GOP Convention: “20 years of votes tells you a lot more than 20 weeks of campaign rhetoric. Campaign rhetoric tells people who you want them to think you are. How you vote tells people who you really are deep inside.” We have nearly 20 years of votes from Enzi showing us he’s a good, reliable conservative who’s probably not going to become any more enamored with the DC power elite and forget who elected him and go all squishy in his fourth term than he did in this first three terms. All we have from Liz Cheney is her telling us what we want to hear to get her elected. Proven reliable conservatives are in short supply in DC; if she turns out to be just another Rubio then there’s a very real possibility we could move the Senate to the left by electing her because we lose such a good man in Enzi.

alchemist19 on July 23, 2013 at 5:04 AM

good morning!

let the palinization begin….

if mccain doesn’t like her, the lsm won’t like her either…

cmsinaz on July 23, 2013 at 6:27 AM

mika giddy of the poor poll ratings for liz cheney….

don’t be gloating too much there

cmsinaz on July 23, 2013 at 6:29 AM

How do you tell a communist? Well, it’s someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It’s someone who understands Marx and Lenin. – Ronald Reagan “Little Pink Houses For You and Me” My Take.

kingsjester on July 23, 2013 at 6:39 AM

we need to repeal stand your ground laws
-morning joe and crew

race pops up in between royal baby news on that channel

cmsinaz on July 23, 2013 at 6:47 AM

dear leader ‘evolved’ from his stand your ground bill in 04 to today
-lib hack on tv

cmsinaz on July 23, 2013 at 6:50 AM

kingsjester on July 23, 2013 at 6:39 AM

good one KJ…scary though…

cmsinaz on July 23, 2013 at 6:52 AM

cmsinaz on July 23, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Thank you, ma’am. That’s why I wrote about it. It is being kept under the radar.

kingsjester on July 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM

kingsjester on July 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM

cripe

cmsinaz on July 23, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Why Liz Cheney wants to run in WY against Enzi is beyond me. If she really wants a political career, her background puts her in a competitive position in parts of the coast mid-Atlantic States that offer Democrats who would find it difficult to deal with that background and open to the typical charges they levy against others. Of course those are more MFM saturated markets so she would have to up her game to compete, but offering a contrast to some of the encumbant rich Establishment might just be enough to start her political career.

It isn’t that she isn’t a bad fit for WY, but offers very little contrast to Enzi. Increase the contrast, up the focus, and give people a choice at the ballot box instead of Establishment A and Establishment B: you still wind up with Establishment. That and her having to live more in VA than WY most of her life gives her contacts and in-roads instead of starting from scratch in WY.

ajacksonian on July 23, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Post-racial America:

George Zimmerman
CRASH VICTIMS WERE WHITE [72 pt type]

davidk on July 23, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I wake up, and the country is still a sick place.

‘Morning everyone.

Liam on July 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Hey Liam

cmsinaz on July 23, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Unstinkingbelievable David

But not surprised

cmsinaz on July 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Unstinkingbelievable David

But not surprised

cmsinaz on July 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I saw yesterday what David mentioned. I think it was TMZ, a celeb rag, that broke the news on Twitter. All in caps!

Liam on July 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM

wake up, and the country is still a sick place.

‘Morning everyone.

Liam on July 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM

After reading davidk’s post, I blurted out, oh geez…

Yup, still a sick place.

Mornin’, going to read KJ’s post now, nice tease, KJ. :)

Fallon on July 23, 2013 at 7:54 AM

kingsjester on July 23, 2013 at 6:39 AM

“Make no mistake, this is a big deal,” Donovan said. “With the HUD budget alone, we are talking about billions of dollars. And as you know, decades ago, these funds were used to support discrimination. Now, they will be used to expand opportunity and bring communities closer to the American Dream.”

Huh. I know, it’s Wiki, but HUD sounded like it was all rainbows and unicorns…

The United States Congress passed and President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the legislation on August 10, 1965.[1] President Johnson called it “the single most important breakthrough” in federal housing policy since the 1920s.[1] The legislation greatly expanded funding for existing federal housing programs, and added new programs to provide rent subsidies for the elderly and disabled; housing rehabilitation grants to poor homeowners; provisions for veterans to make very low down-payments to obtain mortgages; new authority for families qualifying for public housing to be placed in empty private housing (along with subsidies to landlords); and matching grants to localities for the construction of water and sewer facilities, construction of community centers in low-income areas, and urban beautification.[1][2]

Just four weeks later, on September 9, President Johnson signed legislation establishing the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Fallon on July 23, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I guess I’m shocked that there is a need for a big new Utopian government program to correct the unintended consequences of an old big Utopian government program… Shocked.

There must not have been enough money flowing to the local political hacks and community organizers.

Fallon on July 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Fallon on July 23, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I read a piece years ago about the results of forced integration. What happens is people become suspicious of those not only outside their group, but also of those within it. Polarization is basically inevitable, where people don’t become friends and neighbors like in traditional neighborhoods where people have moved in and been accepted voluntarily.

Liam on July 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Limbaugh, smh, always backing the establishment either implicitly or ignorantly.

When are you guys going to learn?

The GOP will betray you

True_King on July 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

The GOP will betray you

True_King on July 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I dunno. It seems kinda obvious that EVERYONE will betray you at some point. It’s human nature.

Fallon on July 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM

George Zimmerman
CRASH VICTIMS WERE WHITE [72 pt type]

…doesn’t matter then!

KOOLAID2 on July 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Somebody who has a 20 year voting record is on the way to claiming the seat as their own. If Enzi is such a great con senator, why does McLame have his back? The voters in Mass elected a fake Indian and everybody should have known about her background. What this looks like is the Rs telling a woman to go home. Not a good image.

Kissmygrits on July 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Of today’s Democrats who is famous for “reaching across the aisle? The only time Democrats reach across the aisle is to slap the hell out of a Republican. ‘Nuff said.

Herb on July 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Why Mike Enzi doesn’t deserve re election?

Because NO ONE “deserves” re election. “It’s not the Kennedy Seat it’s the People’s Seat.” To quote Scott Brown.

However, Enzi is “not a bad guy” and Wyoming isn’t that big a prize. I would rather see Liz run for Congress first from a Wyoming district or from Virginia where she lives, according to Ron Paul. She could freshen up Virginia politics, they seem to recycle the same old same olds, look at Terry McCauliffe, ick.

No one deserves any particular seat, and more people should be involved in republican politics and campaigns.

And there is no reason for OUR SIDE to be saying anything mean about Liz Cheney. She has been Assistant Secretary of State…perhaps she should challenge the Gov. of Wyoming and try that path to the White House. I would rather have Liz Cheney in charge than anyone that preens for the media, like McCain.

Fleuries on July 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

This isn’t about Liz Cheney’s politics, her stellar ability to explain and defend conservative positions or how well she is able play to conservatives and politicos on the National stage. This is about her ability to win office in Wyoming under the circumstances she’s chosen. I contend her chances of that are not good.

She’s not from Wyoming and that will matter in the particular election she’s put herself in. Her politics comport with those of a majority of Wyomingites but her residency doesn’t and since her run follows so closely on the heals of her “move” a year ago, she will generate substantial ill-will and anger by her run against Enzi who most people like. If Wyoming was the path she wanted, she really should have waited. I believe she could have won office but I think she’s chosen completely wrong circumstances.

She’s also trying to pad her Wyoming credentials which Wyomingites will see right through and may not like. She’s touted her Wyoming roots, which she has though they don’t include very much residency. She’s made the choice to work in, live in and send her children to school in the DC area for most of adult life. Her husband may still be living and working there, maybe the kids too. Also, strangely, she’s touting some of her own (but probably no more than a year or two) elementary and junior high school attendance in Casper as qualification to run without saying how long. Really, elementary and junior high….?! It seems kind of desperate if not sneaky.

Why the heck didn’t she run from Virginia? I know, I know-they probably polled and, somehow, she polled better in Wyo, but did any of her people…or her dad consider how negative this run against Enzi might be. Since Liz isn’t really from Wyo, it’s understandable that she might not have gotten it, but doesn’t she have Wyoming advisers who could have let her know? She’s running nationally, but how does she think she’ll get Wyoming?

limmo on July 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Liz Cheney is a CARPETBAGGER.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Hey ALT: How do you define carpetbagger? I mean, didn’t you move from Chicaghole to Texas and now you’re running around wearing the tourista cowboy boots and claiming to be a Texan?

Cuz, that’s pretty much the definition of a carpetbagger, just so you know.

Definition of CARPETBAGGER
: a Northerner in the South after the American Civil War usually seeking private gain under the reconstruction governments

ProudinNC on July 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM