Open thread: Royal baby watch

posted at 10:01 am on July 22, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

I have to admit that this is of almost no interest to me, but perhaps some Hot Air readers are caught up in the excitement, so I’ll open up a thread for fans to share updates. It seems to be a big deal on my Twitter timeline (including my breaking news feed) for some reason — and in the American media for even more mysterious reasons. ABC’s breathless coverage of a rich woman going into labor is fairly typical of the coverage I’ve scanned today:

It’s easy to gripe about the amount of attention being focused on a second-order heir to a ceremonial throne to which Americans have zero attachment (and some history about 230 years ago or so), but at least ABC puts it in proper perspective. This is being reported out of their Entertainment section, which is more or less the purpose served by the British royal family in the US. Thankfully, we now know courtesy of ABC that Princess Kate is being attended by the Queen’s gynecologist, which qualifies as the TMI-est TMI of all time.

Anyway, it’s all pretty harmless as long as the child doesn’t start ordering heads cut off as soon as the nurse fixes his (or her) first nappy on the royal bottom. The comic strip Bloom County had a hilarious take on that when William first made his appearance on the royal stage:

bloom-county-william

If this is your cup of tea (and crumpet), enjoy.  If you’d rather make cynical comments about the spectacle, well … enjoy that, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Meanwhile in America this week

DarkCurrent on July 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Duchess of Cambridge pregnancy

Kate and her baby son are both said to be doing well. #RoyalBaby – @BBCPeterHunt

1 min ago from twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt by edito

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Thanks Canopfor :)

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

MeanWhile,………………………

The Associated Press ‏@AP 6m

A baby is born to country music royalty: It’s a girl for Lady Antebellum’s Hillary Scott: http://apne.ws/15CKueN -CC
========================================================

NEW YORK (AP) — Lady Antebellum’s leading lady has given birth to a little lady.

Hillary Scott’s representative says the country singer gave birth to Eisele (Eyes-lee) Kaye Tyrrell on Monday in Nashville, Tenn. Scott is married to Nashville-based drummer Chris Tyrrell. Eisele is the couple’s first child.

People magazine first reported the birth. The report said the baby girl weighed 7 pounds, 13 ounces.

Scott, 27, is one-third of the Grammy-winning country act Lady Antebellum. The group also includes Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood. They released their fourth album, “Golden,” in May.

The couple were married last year.

Scott tweeted her excitement Monday: “She’s here, and we are in HEAVEN!!! Eisele Kaye, our beautiful angel, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!”
===============================================================

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Thanks Canopfor :)

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

cmsinaz:

I love doing this stuff,I have about 15 tabs open,

after sending in,up to the second to H/A Tips,no UpDate(s)—-:O

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Meanwhile in China this week

DarkCurrent on July 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Congrats to Kate and William.

Thanks canopfor…did you get a clip of the gentlemen with the bell outside the hospital :) That gave me a chuckle.

CoffeeLover on July 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

BBC News (UK) ‏@BBCNews 2m

A gun salute will be fired at Tower of London at 14:00 BST on Tuesday to mark birth of #RoyalBaby, MoD says http://bbc.in/19e47yR
===================================================================

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Congrats to Kate and William.

CoffeeLover on July 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

CoffeeLover:

I heard the guy yapping and bell-ringing on the Live feed,I’ll try to track that down—:O
=========================

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Just realized canopfor’s a chick

DarkCurrent on July 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM

CoffeLover:

Here ya go:Third Image down———————:O

Reuters Picture: A town crier announces the royal birth outside the Lindo Wing of St Mary’s Hospital after Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge gave birth to a baby boy in central London July 22, 2013. Prince William’s wife Kate gave birth on Monday to a baby boy, in the Lindo Wing of St Mary’s Hospital. REUTERS/Andrew Winning

by Margarita Noriega (Reuters) 4:22 PM
=======================================

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Just realized canopfor’s a chick

DarkCurrent on July 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM

DarkCurrent:

Haha,I’m a GUY!

I’ve sent,about 10 times into tips,more than the Royal Birth!

Theres a helluva loy more going on——:)

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Resist We Much on July 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I knew there was something fishy about you! ;) Have you been debriefed by the NSA today?

Nutstuyu on July 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Haha,I’m a GUY!

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Sorry, wishful thinking on my part ;)

DarkCurrent on July 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM

::yawn::

sadatoni on July 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Haha,I’m a GUY!

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Sorry, wishful thinking on my part ;)

DarkCurrent on July 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM

DarkCurrent:

Lol again,it was funny when AP,said i was a girl,a
few years ago!

Probably my “Thingy ” word doesn’t help tho!:)

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I knew you weren’t a woman by the way you talk about your Grandsons. Lots of love & enjoyment, but zero mush (and yes, I’m jealous of you having Grands).

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Government by kings was first introduced into the world by the Heathens, from whom the children of Israel copied the custom. It was the most prosperous invention the Devil ever set on foot for the promotion of idolatry.

dom89031 on July 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM

“In England a King hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which, in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society, and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.” T. Paine

dom89031 on July 22, 2013 at 7:42 PM

My most sincerest congratulation to Kate and William on your Son, and a healthy and happy Birth.

Best Wishes to you both for a wonderful and haapy Life together.

seesalrun2 on July 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM

MEANWHILE….

REAL LIFE continues and the fantasy land of silver spoon fed socialists continue to reproduce..

TX-96 on July 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

If they name him George I will announce to every lib I know that they named him after Zimmerman.

agmartin on July 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM