McCain: States should take another look at Stand Your Ground laws

posted at 8:01 am on July 22, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

This starts off with Candy Crowley pressing John McCain to explain how the verdict of the George Zimmerman trial provided justice to Trayvon Martin’s family. Instead of explaining how courts of law work on reasonable doubt, McCain instead tells Crowley that no one has proved that the jury was corrupt, which is … a rather large non-sequitur, and a hint that McCain didn’t pay much attention to the trial in the first place.  An even bigger hint is when McCain brings up Stand Your Ground laws, which had nothing to do with the lethal-force decision in the shooting, but has become the favorite political escape hatch in Washington DC since the verdict.

Ah, well, any port in a storm:

John McCain urged all states with Stand Your Ground laws to review them in the aftermath of the George Zimmerman trial.

“I can also see that Stand Your Ground law may be something that needs to be reviewed by the Florida legislature or any other legislature that has passed such legislation,” McCain said on CNN’s State of the Union this morning.

He said that he was “confident” Arizona state legislators would look at the law again “because it is a very controversial legislation.”

All SYG laws do is remove the positive requirement to retreat before using lethal force where one reasonably fears the loss of life or grave bodily harm.  If the possibility of flight is removed at that point — as it was in the Zimmerman case, where the defendant argued (and the jury believed) he was pinned to the ground — then SYG is moot.  At that point, the basic laws of self-defense apply, not SYG, even though as Jazz argued yesterday in his post, SYG is really just a rational form of self-defense.

Basically, this is just an easy way for Capitol Hill denizens to pander a bit while retreating themselves.  There isn’t a single state that will review SYG laws on the basis of the blather, including McCain’s Arizona, and don’t expect McCain to even float the suggestion of repealing it when he’s back in his home state.  Right now, it’s the politically-correct response to any Zimmerman-Martin questions, but in a month no one will be talking about SYG at all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

And honestly, can we get serious for a second ? I actually read somewhere that blacks in general were being assigned with “post traumatic stress disorder” because of alleged racial profiling that Allen West describes above.

Really ? I’m sorry if anyone feels dissed by that or whatever, but I got news for you – if THAT is the worst thing that ever happens to you in your life, consider yourself damn lucky and move on. PTSD my ass.

Just more fodder from the professional grievance mongering liberal industrial complex. “Oh, I heard a door click crossing the street”. Are you kidding me ? Grow a pair of balls already.

deadrody on July 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I drove a school bus this past school year where the only white face amongst 60+ occupants was mine. I was called racist. One of my high school riders is serving 30 years for his part in a first degree murder. A high school student was arrested off my bus for assault. I had to call the police twice due to riots on my bus. And on my elementary route one morning a student jumped up and yelled, “A gun! He’s got a gun!” (It turned out to be a toy.)

Maybe I can get disability for PTSD.

davidk on July 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

There’s always been a white supremacist element among some of the posters around here

libfreeordie on July 22, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Names and dates.

davidk on July 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM

McCain says he’s a Reagan Republican. I think it means he has Alzheimer’s.

flataffect on July 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

McCain: States should take another look at Stand Your Ground laws

No John, states should take a look at getting rid of politicians like you!

RJL on July 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Go Away!

Arizona republicans – DON’T DO THIS TO US AGAIN! Mcain and Flake can’t be just a fluke. There is something wrong with your local party and you need to fix it.

BoxHead1 on July 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Why do we even need an oppostion party when Republicans have morons like this speaking for them?

dverplank on July 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM

McCain is such a jagoff I can’t believe I voted for him in 2008.

I won’t be making that sort of mistake again.

jaime on July 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM

We really ought to send this clown back to Hanoi. He can do some damage there as he’s done here. They might appreciate and ole friend again. Give him Hanoi Jane for company too. She knows her way around.

What’s wrong with people in AZ when he constantly betrays them?

Twana on July 22, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Uh, Senator. I already did a second look and the SYG laws are just finr. Go back to your nap.

yesiamapirate on July 23, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Arizona-what the hell have you been thinking re-electing this shameful, arrogant,senile RINO over and over again?

redware on July 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM

McCain should take another look at retiring.

zoyclem on July 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM

McPain is like a buggy piece of software. From version 1.0 now to 3.0 and it still crashes his logic board. Version 4.0 won’t be any better unless it’s retired.

Twana on July 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Oh, john, john! I hope Ariz is taking another look at you!

Bambi on July 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I am really hating that old fool more by the day. I am sorry that I ever voted for that crumudgeon.

jistincase on July 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM

What states need is to re-evaluate force retiring old fools from Congress.

lperello on July 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM