McCain: I endorse Mike Enzi over Liz Cheney

posted at 11:21 am on July 22, 2013 by Allahpundit

Yet another reason to find the Enzi/Cheney race fascinating. Tough call here for Maverick. Does he strike a blow for incumbency by backing his pal Mike, even though it means siding with “wacko bird” nemesis, Rand Paul? Or does he strike a blow for interventionism by endorsing the tea-party favorite Cheney? Here’s the answer, via the Corner. McCain endorsing anyone named “Cheney” at this point was a long shot, incumbent opponent or no. He’s been at odds with Dick sporadically for at least 10 years, dating back to the Bush tax cuts, then to the debate over enhanced interrogation, and then to Cheney’s criticism of him after leaving office for his VP pick and his bizarre political strategy during the 2008 financial crisis. (Cheney wasn’t above publicly knocking McCain in the heat of the 2008 presidential campaign either.) Liz Cheney actually took McCain’s side last year after her father called Palin’s VP selection a mistake, a shrewd move for an aspiring Senate candidate planning to run as a tea partier in a red state. That plus super-hawkishness, and still — Maverick’s unambiguously for Enzi here.

Even so, is she better off having McCain on the other side? Just as Rubio’s polling with GOPers nationally remains fairly strong even though it’s gone into the toilet among many grassroots righties, Maverick might be seen as a respected elder statesman by Wyoming Republicans who don’t follow politics closely even though the national base rants about him daily. (He carried the state by more than 30 points in 2008, although any GOP nominee would have.) Then again, how often do “incumbent backs incumbent” endorsements really matter to the incumbent? I think this helps Cheney on balance because she needs tea-party cred and there’s no faster route to that these days than ending up crosswise with the base’s least favorite Republican. He’s spent the last six months arm-in-arm with Chuck Schumer on immigration; he’s dumped on Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, both of whom are favorites of grassroots conservatives; and he’s ended up aligned repeatedly with Obama on subjects as varied as amnesty, intervention in Syria, the terrible filibuster deal last week, and “stand your ground” laws. (Cheney told the Daily Caller recently that she would have voted against the Gang of Eight bill. Enzi did, in fact, vote against it.) If she’s looking to squeeze rank-and-file conservatives nationwide for donations, she should add an “Opposed by John McCain” graphic to her campaign website.

Two clips below, one of McCain yesterday and the other a golden oldie from 2008. I wonder if he remembers.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

rrpjr on July 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I am hurtling towards a “maturity” that I can’t stop. I don’t want to stop. That said, I raised my kids on the belief that they would never be sorry for doing the right thing. I’ll try to keep the spice and forgo the bad language. I am plenty disgusted though.

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Why has she gone all Willard Romney by bumping off a conservative?

Run against a NON-conservative, Cheney!

casuist on July 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I was against Cheney’s Enzi challenge. Now that McCain has announced, I’ve changed my mind.

MTF on July 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Careful there. Don’t be fooled. When has McCain ever endorsed Conservatives??????? Or Tea Party members??????

He’s playing reverse psychology, counting on this reaction in order to elect Liz Cheney.

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Well that certainly put her over the top

TexasJew on July 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I wonder if McCain even has a clue that his endorsement for Enzi may give the race to Cheney…..

dentarthurdent on July 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM

uh oh, the kiss of death from McFenceBuilder

burserker on July 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM

MTF on July 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I wouldn’t be at all enzi-ous over this endorsement either!

Sir Rants-A-Lot on July 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Liz, like her mom, won’t shy away from calling out bs when she sees it. Busting up Enzi’s cabal will be a good thing. How the heck log has he been there?

bill glass on July 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM

We’ve heard nothing but B.S. for 5 years from this Administration and the Republican RINOS.

Where has Liz Cheney been for 5 years??

I can tell you where Sarah Palin has been…Attacking all of them!!!

Liz Cheney? crickets

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

That’s not true, I’ve seen Liz Cheney on Fox and other networks criticizing this administration. And eloquently, I might add. Which might explain why she doesn’t get too many invitations. Fox has now released her from her contract since she announced her candidacy.

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Enzi issued a hard core anti amnesty screed. What would it take to push voters away from Enzi?

How about a kiss from the Godfather of Amnesty

entagor on July 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM

A better description of this McCain endorsing Cheney I’ve not heard.

Kudos and thanks for posting that statement against Amnesty!!

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

It pains me to defend the creep but if it wasn’t for McCain nobody outside of AK would know who Sarah Palin is.

Buttercup on July 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I like this post (saw it the first time as well.) Liz comes off as dour & snippy, so there’s that, too.

If she wants to convince people like us that she is running against Enzi for righteous, non-personal reasons, she is going to have to change her tactics drastically.

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Thanks. Elitists do come off that way imo. The Establishment R’s, along with Rove/RNC and the NSCC (national senatorial republican committee) would LOVE to defeat as many Conservatives in the Senate and the House as they can. This McCain endorsement of Enzi is just another way.

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Endorsements of any sort rarely move any votes at all. This does help clarify that Enzi is part of “the Washington GOP Establishment” if there was any doubt.

I agree with Cheney. We don’t need people in DC quietly building conservative voting records and seeking compromise with Satan Democrats. We need someone to make some noise, to attack the fakirs and their socialist agenda with gusto.

Adjoran on July 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I’ve heard her on Fox when I used to watch Fox. We all criticize this Administration but I’m waiting on her to criticize the enablers, i.e. RINOS, Boehner, Cantor, McCarthy, McConnell and those 15-16 Senators!!

Criticizing Obama is safe, criticizing the enablers isn’t. But it may give her some cred.

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Buttercup on July 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

So you defend McCain on that basis? That is speculation anyway, unless you can predict what Sarah would or would not have done politically. Besides, Sarah already had proved her strong Conservative governing in Alaska.

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I wish this asshat would retire. Between him trashing Rand Paul over the multi-hour filibuster and his stance on the gun control bill, he’s very unpredictable these days and cannot be counted on to maintain his traditional beliefs, let alone doing the right thing.

RMCS_USN on July 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Adjoran on July 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

The GOP Establishment are the enablers. So you think Enzi compromises with the Democrats? He doesn’t even compromise with the Republicans!!

It is evident you haven’t taken the time to research his record.
You may want to do that.

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Oh Joy! Now it’s a choice between agreeing with RINO extraordinaire John McCain and a carpetbagging legacy candidate. I’m Sooooooooo glad I don’t live in Wyoming. The only problem is that the same crap happens in Ohio. Are you listening Rob Portman?

yesiamapirate on July 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

This is almost “stranger than fiction” like the Zimmerman car rescue. I’m not kidding I’m serious this is a trick by amnest pusher neocon McCain. McCain knows he’s seen as a virtual Dem, and this is going to the reliable conservative Dem. As I’ve said, all the amnesty pushers like Hannity have been lining up behind neocon Cheney, but McCain’s reverse psychology endorsement is, and it doesn’t take an Einstein to figure this out, intended to help amenesty supporter Cheney. Why do I say she’s an amnesty supporter when a couple days ago she said she would have voted against the Gang of 8 bill? Becuase she said that just after we were making a big ruckus about her “non-position” on amnesty, she said that for political expedience, just like Rubio said he was against amnesty. My earlier comment on a headline thread:

Cheney’s connections with Rubio’s Chief of Staff and big amnesty pusher Cesar Conda, who was also Dick Cheney’s domestic policy advisor, is outlined here: http://towncriernews.blogspot.com/2013/07/liz-cheney-take-good-lookthis-is-face.html

This really really stinks if you are against amnesty. Liz cheney is putting up a false front against amnesty. Also check out the google on Conda. To make it easy for you: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22cesar+conda%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

anotherJoe on July 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

if it wasn’t for McCain nobody outside of AK would know who Sarah Palin is.

Buttercup on July 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

That you don’t know. I knew about her before she was the ephemeral gleam in McCain’s eye.

But you’re right to suggest that it wasn’t for McCain she wouldn’t have been thrown to the wolves soon after it was learned she was a more dynamic and appealing candidate than he was.

rrpjr on July 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM

2014 primary election for Wyoming Sen. Mike Enzi’s seat

Koch brothers’ PAC donates to Sen. Mike Enzi, ahead of primary battle against Liz Cheney – @politico

25 mins ago from http://www.politico.com by editor

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Have any of you considered McCain is endorsing Enzi to pimp Enzi?

bw222 on July 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Hmmm, she might on individual things but I wouldn’t expect an all out war on her own side. Even Sen. Cruz and Sen. Paul would do that.

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I agree. Where has this self described “Constitutionalist Conservative” been since 2008?

Nothing has stopped Sarah Palin speaking out, but for some reason Liz Cheney hasn’t.

I also agree with this: “Understand a McCain (or other) endorsement does not always mean endorsement. Sometimes it means strategy” That is McCain’s tactic imo.

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Cheney also told Rush that she needs to fight for rights to freedom of speech which are being taken away from us, yet she, or her minions, have been deleting posts from her Facebook page which question her qualifications or disagree with her positions. How does that support freedom of speech…or show an ability to represent all the people?!

Doubt that endorsements by pundits outside Wyoming, with the possible exception of Paul’s will carry much weight in Wyoming. Nationally, she’ll get support. In Wyoming, I’m still thinking…not so much. She’ll get some, but in Wyoming, this run is going to tee a lot of people off. She should have gotten completely moved in and waited a year or two. Then, her chances would have been a lot better.

limmo on July 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

bluefox – Hate to break it to you but NONE of the candidates are Sarah Palin. Not one. Not in any race, not in any state. You seem confused about that. Feel free to hate on all challengers who aren’t her and the the old establishment RINO’s just can just run unopposed with business as usual.

Buttercup on July 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM

This is McCain being McCain.

Doesn’t change the fact that the Carpetbagger should go home to Virginia.

Dack Thrombosis on July 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I thought I heard her today on Rush, and she locked up his vote. He called her someone “who’s always been conservative.”

Wasn’t he recently raving like that about Rubio?

Gosh, is he a sucker for celebrity attention?

Don L on July 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Wasn’t he recently raving like that about Rubio?

Gosh, is he a sucker for celebrity attention?

Don L on July 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Seems that way. Nothing quite like the logic in replacing a good, reliable, proven conservative with an unknown quantity with flashy rhetoric so soon after Marco Rubio taught us all a lesson about how that can end up. That “Stupid Party” moniker the GOP has is well-earned.

alchemist19 on July 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

That’s real retarded, sir. Occam’s Razor says he’s backing him because the two are buddies.

alwaysfiredup on July 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I value John McCain’s political opinions about as much as I value Bernie Madoff’s investment advice.

M240H on July 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Well that’s the senile kiss of death!

redware on July 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Why is that this surprises absolutely nobody?

Another Drew on July 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM

McCain: I endorse Mike Enzi over Liz Cheney

In that case, without knowing anything else, I support Cheney.

jaime on July 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM

McCain: I endorse Mike Enzi over Liz Cheney

In that case, without knowing anything else, I support Cheney.

jaime on July 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM

What you got to know is that McCain knew perfectly well that his endorsement would cause this reaction, because neocon amnesty pushing Cheney is just like McCain. McCain’s not idiotic.

anotherJoe on July 22, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Enzi supports raising internet taxes

Conservative4Ever on July 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Enzi supports raising internet taxes

Conservative4Ever on July 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Cheney may well support amnesty, arming the Syrian rebels, gay marriage and a bunch of other less-than-conservative positions. How much is that internet sales tax loophole worth to you?

alchemist19 on July 22, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Anyone who’s a Republican, who believes in the definition of insanity, knows things have to change. The fact that McCain endorsed Enzi should be enough for anyone Republican to vote for Cheney. I’m not sure if McConnell is the only problem in the Senate, but the fact these people keep voting him in the leader is enough for me to primary them.

The Senate didn’t produce a budget for 4 years, the Republicans never mounted a good opposition forcing them to pass a budget. Since that is one of their primary functions, I believe the Republican leadership failed and the Senators who voted for that leadership failed.

Obama really isn’t this good. It’s McCain and company who can’t come up with the correct tactics to win this debate. They all need to go.

bflat879 on July 22, 2013 at 8:47 PM

dentarthurdent on July 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM

That’s his plan and according to some of the HA commenters, it’s working!!!

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I love Mr Cheney. I love his politics and his kid as well.

These people are serious.
Be well.

scookam on July 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM

anotherJoe on July 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Just finished reading the article you linked to first. Quite a background on her political connections. Her husband has been connected as well. Funny thing, I didn’t find any “Constitutional
Conservatives” among them, LOL Quite telling actually.

Conda must be dizzy by so many revolving doors:-)

Liz Cheney an outsider? ROFL

Thanks for the add’l info. I think as more info comes out, we’ll have a more accurate picture of this “self described Constitutional Conservative” and won’t make the same mistake we did with Rubio.

Fool me once,……..

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Buttercup on July 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM

You are the one that is confused. I didn’t even mention Sarah Palin in my 2:19 post and my reply wasn’t even to you in the first place.

By the way, if you are calling Enzi an “old Establishment RINO”, maybe you too should review his very Conservative record.

So, you don’t care for the very very Conservative Sarah Palin either, huh? Most libs don’t:-)

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM

25 mins ago from http://www.politico.com by editor

canopfor on July 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Thanks for that news. I’m getting the feeling we better start keeping a log on this race:-)

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

limmo on July 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I heard her say that about freedom of speech too. Hmmm, interesting that her FB posts being deleted. Reminds me of someone else that doesn’t care for opposing opinions.

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Cheney Is a good man. His kid is really like him. No BS.
If this is a bad thing we have a problem.
Read in to all you like young people, but I’ll tell you this.
I’ve met them both when I lived in Wyoming. Regular folks.
Met the Palin as well. At our kids soccer practices in Juneau.
Liz would be great for the cause. There is a reason nobody ever heard of Enzi. He was good enough at the time, but these times they are a changin. Would you not agree?
PS
. I dispise Mccain. I am from AZ. They call it a red state. Pooh.
Be well.

scookam on July 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM

McCain is pulling a fast one. He knows his endorsement has a negative value with the base. His endorsement of Enzi is like an endorsement of Cheney with conservatives. It’s not like Cheney needs any help with the establishment anyway. It’s a smart move.

DFCtomm on July 23, 2013 at 1:42 AM

DFCtomm on July 23, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Exactly. I just heard on Mark Levin’s radio replay a caller that said when he votes he votes against the incumbent. Levin said one of the reasons that he, Levin endorsed Cheney is because McCain endorsed Enzi!

Levin is being taken in as many are and McCain’s reverse psychology is working.

Guess Levin didn’t learn from backing Rubio.

bluefox on July 23, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I follow politics more than the average voter although probably not even close to the political participation rate of the average HA poster.

I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve even seen Enzi’s name in print and I don’t ever recall seeing or hearing him do anything “press-worthy”…other than voting along with the R crowd.

Liz Cheney, on the other hand, has been very visible in public/media and she comes across as very, very informed. Granted, I don’t know what her position is on every issue but I don’t know Enzi’s positions either and he’s had a dozen year head start.

The Republicans have always trailed in the “message delivery” department and I think that Liz would garner much more media attention. Getting our message out would be a huge start.

JetBlast on July 23, 2013 at 5:49 AM

Enzi issued a hard core anti amnesty screed.

Well, OK, then, good for Enzi. It’s a mistake for Liz Cheney to try and run against him.

I like Liz Cheney on issues of national security and defense. Perhaps she needs to better pick a contest that she should and can win instead of agitating to take Enzi out of the job.

The pro-amnesty GOP are a weird bunch, and it’s disturbing to find out who they are:

Lourdes on July 23, 2013 at 7:30 AM

That was the wrong answer. Especially if true. The correct answer would have been to ignore the implication, say something nice about your opponent – like I have met his wife – and seize the chance to explain the reason it is so important to displace him. For instance criticize any of his votes.

Yakking about needing new blood is skirting the issues

Rush handed her a soft landing. I distrust her. She had a moment of truth when she could have taken a position but she hid in platitudes. IMHO she is being fronted by the Club

entagor on July 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Hmmmm…OK, taking that seriously, thanks.

Lourdes on July 23, 2013 at 7:40 AM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Now I’m a lib and don’t like SP? Are you mental or 12? Talk about elitist. Like a lib you don’t care if anything you write has any basis in reality. If you say it it’s true right? First you ask where Cheney’s been for 5 years because you personally don’t watch the channel who invites her on. You were called out on that. True enough she’s never held office and doesn’t have a voting record so in your mind she shouldn’t be given a chance because she’s not SP right? Is anyone fit to run who isn’t SP? Then you say McCain (whom I despise) doesn’t endorse conservatives and I dared point out that he picked one as his Presidential running mate. Gasp! To think for one second that VP Nom didn’t give her the name recognition and platform she has today is just ignorant whether you care to admit it or not. Sorry to let facts get in the way of the puritanical utopia of your mind.

Buttercup on July 23, 2013 at 8:45 AM

bluefox – Clearly you don’t like Liz Cheney because she’s a lesbian and you are a homophobe.

Neat! See that I just took a page out of your own tiny book of debate skills. You are unable to consider viewpoints outside of your own so you resort to lies and insults. Who cares about facts, it’s all about self-righteous indignation coupled with whatever you want to hear. And you call me a liberal.

Buttercup on July 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Buttercup on July 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Liz Cheney’s married with five children. I assume she and her (male) husband conceived those five children heterosexually, to restate the obvious.

She’s not “a lesbian.” Her sister is.

Lourdes on July 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Actually McCain endorsing Enzi should be the good for Cheney. McCain has become a senile old fool, one of the Struldbrug crowd of people so old they can’t begin to think who control the Senate.

{^_^}

herself on July 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM

WARNING: RINO stampede. Are we absolutely certain that was John McCain the Viet Cong sent back? Regular Right Guy

Mornin Mojo on July 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

This should scare the hell out of Enzi.

Windsweeping on July 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM

So much for the “Liz will be traffic gold” idea, AP.

ddrintn on July 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM

A McCain endorsement for Enzi is like a Tea Party endorsement for Cheney.

CrustyB on July 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM

McCain’s endorsement of Enzi confirms my support for Liz Cheney. I wish that old man would just go away….

lperello on July 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM

So much for the “Liz will be traffic gold” idea, AP.
ddrintn on July 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM

You are just jealous and resentful of any conservative (and especially a woman) not named Palin.

Liz is like what Palin could have been, if Palin had been able to articulate her thoughts maturely and without a script.

bluegill on July 25, 2013 at 5:44 AM

McCain endorses Enzi? Geesh, I have nothing against Enzi, but that’s enough for me to start sending Liz Cheney some money. Are there any real Republicans (re: conservatives)who will be sad to see McCain retire?

His war hero credentials are bona fide, and I’ve read some of his speeches which were just amazing, but the man just seems to have a burning need to be a royal pain in the ass, and never with his natural adversaries.

NeoCon_1 on July 25, 2013 at 6:38 AM