Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on July 21, 2013 by Allahpundit

After relentlessly defending for months the Senate’s ambitious overhaul of the nation’s immigration laws, Sen. Marco Rubio didn’t respond when House GOP leaders last week trashed it as a “flawed … massive, Obama-care like bill.”

The Florida Republican’s office, which churned out countless press releases touting his interviews and speeches about the legislation, hasn’t said a word about immigration since the Senate passed the bill on June 27…

By stepping back from the limelight, Rubio is acknowledging the limits of his own powers of persuasion as well as political realities.

***

The very issue Rubio (and Harris) thought would be a game-changing, legacy-builder looks like a big liability for the Florida senator, at least right now. In the process, the self-confident presidential hopeful suddenly looks wobbly, even a little weak, as he searches for what’s next.

Rubio spent six months working over Senate Republicans only to get stiffed by 70 percent of them. He has gone underground on the issue ever since, ducking reporters on Capitol Hill…

Rubio appears to have miscalculated how much Republican support he could win in the Senate – and how much conservative backlash he could avoid outside of it. And now he feels stuck

All of this leaves the senator in the position of looking like an outlier, not a leader – not the place a guy with big ambitions wants to be.

***

The lesson, of course, is that there are far greater rewards in moving with the herd than in trying to change its direction, even if its direction leads over a cliff. While Rubio was working to accomplish something difficult — to improve the status quo — most of his likely rivals for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination offered no constructive proposals. And if immigration reform dies, the do-nothings will be the ones feted (and not only by Politico) for their political savvy.

Rubio is young and talented. Too bad he made the rookie mistake of trying.

***

First, we have the idea that “showing political strength” by pissing off the right wing gives one a certain gravitas. And then we have the need to not look like a policy “chump.” Call me crazy, but I do not think these are the two things one needs to win a Republican primary. What were Obama’s big policy achievements again? Romney even won his nomination by disowning his biggest policy victory. And pissing off the right is not going to get him his primary funding, especially in the age of super PACs.

But the crucial point isn’t that these moves are irrational. Rather, it’s that Rubio may very well have believed they were rational.

***

Although it is still early in the process, some conservative pundits and “tea party” activists already are writing off Rubio, R-Fla., because of his role in crafting the bipartisan “Gang of Eight” bill that the Senate passed June 27 on a 68-32 vote.

“I think it’s just foolish,” McCain, R-Ariz., told The Arizona Republic on Friday. “I’m not endorsing anyone, but I can tell you Marco Rubio is an articulate spokesperson for what conservatives believe in, in principle. And if we pass immigration reform, which is certainly not clear, he would get enormous credit for it.”…

“We tried very hard (to pass immigration reform in 2007), and we failed, and I was still able to get the nomination,” McCain said…

“I think he has helped his chances immeasurably by being involved in the immigration debate,” Flake said of Rubio. “In the end, Republicans are going to want to win in the general election, and I think they will recognize that we’ve got to have somebody who can do that.”

***

Now that it’s clear that the base of the GOP – as expressed in the House GOP’s diehard desire to kill reform – is emphatically not on board with the Senate immigration bill to which he tied his fate, his whole plan for the 2016 run is basically in a shambles and his support among conservatives is falling rapidly…

If you’ve watched over recent weeks, Rubio has been casting around for basically any right wing position to grab on to. First, there was his quixotic demand to shut down the government if Obamacare isn’t defunded. Then yesterday he tried to filibuster the Perez nomination even after the Senate nuclear option deal. And there have been various other examples. But as Dave Weigel aptly notes, now every desperate lurch right looks self-serving, cynical and well … desperate.

So now Rubio seems trapped, on the wrong side of his party’s base on a key issue – and one that looks unlikely even to deliver legislation that might have bipartisanship traction with middle-ground voters. It’s one thing to say ‘I bucked my party to bring change the country needs’, another to say ‘I bucked my party on change my country needs but it actually didn’t pan out. Sorry.’

***

[B]oth McCain and Romney had two resources that enabled them to overcome weak fields in a context where opponents were killing each other off demolition-derby style: high name ID and a willingness to repudiate much of their own past records to build trust among movement conservatives. McCain also had a very positive personal “story” and Romney had endless sums of money…

Having been snookered and maneuvered into nominating candidates they didn’t much trust or like for two consecutive cycles, conservative activists are probably going to be a lot more careful in 2016 about picking their champions and splitting their votes. For a guy like Marco Rubio, that means he has a very small margin of error in dealing with “the base.” Perhaps following up his immigration reform number with a long series of base-pleasing positions will rehabilitate him enough to pass the smell test in Iowa and elsewhere; perhaps Josh is right and Marco’s will smell fishier every day. But unlike McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012, Rubio (or for that matter, any other “elite” favorite, like, say, Chris Chritie) can’t count on a scattered and erratic field of rivals who keep running into each other’s clown cars, or a “base” that can’t make up its mind what it wants.

***

Here’s my guess: he’s toast for 2016, but might make a comeback later. He’s pretty young, after all. The specific question that Josh and Ed are tossing around, though, is this: how can we say that Rubio is doomed just because he’s pissed off the base over immigration reform? After all, the last two Republican nominees had big base problems too…

Rubio’s problem is that, immigration aside, he’s very clearly a creature of the tea party. If he runs, he’s going to be one of the guys competing like a pit bull for the 40 percent of the base they represent. But with immigration working against him, he has no chance of coming out on top. In a nutshell, he’s dead to the tea partiers and he’s too rabidly right-wing to make a play for the center. For now, he’s got nothing.

That could all change in the future, and frankly I think he’d be smart to regroup and think about 2020 or 2024. But this is why Rubio is toast for now. Immigration was his ticket to a share of the moderate vote, and that’s now looking like a bad bet.

***

[I]t’s just far too soon to know what effect support for a comprehensive bill will do to Rubio’s chances. Again, even assuming nothing passes, there’s no guarantee that immigration will be an effective issue in Iowa and New Hampshire, or even in the invisible primary in the months leading up to those events. There’s just so much we don’t know — will the economy thrive, or collapse? Will wars break out? What new issues will emerge? What new stars will emerge in the party, and who will they endorse?

Marshall believes that Rubio was something of a fluke candidate anyway, with immigration as his only real accomplishment. But that’s not true. Defeating then-RINO Charlie Crist, and then winning statewide in Florida, is Rubio’s real calling card. And that’s not going to go away.

Indeed, we don’t even yet know the outcome of the immigration fight in Congress. Even if you believe that no bill will emerge, it’s easy to imagine several different scenarios in how it dies — and not all of them leave Rubio equally estranged from anti-citizenship conservatives. It’s not altogether impossible, for example, that the House could pass something that they call comprehensive immigration (even without citizenship) and bring it to a conference committee, and that while the parties deadlock there Rubio becomes the champion of that “compromise.”

***

If Schumer-Rubio passes, Rubio will own every single tiny little amnesty implementation hiccup. E-verify fails? Blame Rubio. The wall hasn’t been started yet? Rubio’s fault. The amnesty itself is riven with obvious fraud. Rubio got rolled.

Another Rubio ally tells Politico, “If the bill fails, the only way Republicans could win the Hispanic vote in a national election would be with him on the ticket.”

This is much closer to the mark. Rubio’s best hope is that Schumer-Rubio dies a quick death in the House and is forgotten by Republican primary voters as quickly as possible. Rubio could then turn the tables on Democrats, blaming their insistence on creating entire new government agencies and slush funds for activist groups for getting in the way of immigration reform.

***

Fresh off a bruising immigration bill fight that cost him support among some on the Republican right, Sen. Marco Rubio is refocusing on bread-and-butter issues that play better with the GOP base: defunding President Obama’s health law, promoting pro-life policies and attacking the United Nations…

Mr. Rubio also on Wednesday helped lead the floor fight against Mr. Obama’s nominee to head the Labor Department, arguing that Thomas E. Perez is thumbing his nose at subpoenas from the House and must be blocked…

“I don’t think it’s necessary for him to strain any pander muscles to maintain his friendship with conservatives,” Mr Reed said. “He just needs to be himself and take the strong stands on issues he has throughout his career and he’ll be fine.”

***

Senator Marco Rubio says he supports Florida’s “stand your ground” law. The Florida Republican talked with reporters Friday about the law that’s been in the national spotlight during the George Zimmerman case.

Rubio said self-defense is a constitutional right.

“Every law is open for review, but I think we should be reminded that every American has a right to self-defense.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I am ashamed of you people. Only 200 comments.

Its Dire and BMores fault. Ok its Schads fault too. (:

SparkPlug on July 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I’d prefer to ignore Rubio threads the rest of my life, but what the heck, I’ll just stop in to say this Republican of almost 40 years would vote for a liberal Democrat before he ever votes for this back-stabbing liar of a Republican. And I’ll do just that in an effort to make sure he loses any election I participate in.

Just so you know in case you read the comments here, Marco.

Dusty on July 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM

SparkPlug on July 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I apologize. Its Rubio, Twerp and Cozmos fault

SparkPlug on July 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM

and kindly and well-meaning but clearly senile McCain

Dude … McShame is anything but kindly or well-meaning. McShame is a despicable, nasty douchebag, inside and out. And Rubio, the treasonous little worm didn’t get snookered by anyone. He did exactly what he wanted to do. He was just too friggin stupid to know what the outcome of his treasonous idiocy would be. He is that dumb. And detestable.

There are no excuses for these wastes of flesh. They are the sub-human scum they are trying to be.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM

SparkPlug on July 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Well…at least it wasn’t my fault. :)

Good evening, Spark. :)

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Adjoran on July 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I missed that you were giving a hypothetical future Rubio quote. I did think it sounded a bit strange for one of your comments …

Anyway, Rubio doesn’t even want to do anything like that. He’d rather die than say anything bad or even close to bad about his buddies-in-treason, Schumer and McShame, which is fine with me since Rubio should never be seen or heard from again.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 22, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Don’t blame it on me, cuz It’s Not My Fault…”

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Don’t Blame Me – Everly Brothers

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Got To Be Some Changes – Albert King

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 1:57 AM

If you painted a picture with Shumer, Graham, and McCain all wearing sombreros and posing with the Democrat mascot… Rubio would still be the jackass in the middle.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:04 AM

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I would never blame you. You got me a job with a sexetary, plus nymphs.

SparkPlug on July 22, 2013 at 2:05 AM

The Very Thought Of You – Albert King

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:07 AM

SparkPlug on July 22, 2013 at 2:05 AM

And that was just the beginning, Spark.:)

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:08 AM

AH_C on July 22, 2013 at 12:57 AM

funny you should add the economics part. I was really just talking about the last week or so….but i almost said..not only does he Not know about economics, he doesn’t know anything about the Law either (i.e. wrt syg)

an ignorant showboat…even to the point of being ‘fooled’ into posing with some al queda types.

senile? well..he was never all that sharp to begin with. Ignorant showboat pretty much captures it, imho…or, maybe like a trained seal at the circus…he does a trick and the trainer (the leftist media) gives him a fish and everyone says, oh, isn’t that cute.

r keller on July 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Well your brain created the Glade too. That was a biggie.

SparkPlug on July 22, 2013 at 2:13 AM

SparkPlug on July 22, 2013 at 2:13 AM

But it wouldn’t have worked half so well without you, Spark. :)

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Good evening, Anti-Control. :) Excellent tune.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Love In Vain Blues – Peter Green

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:22 AM

“It’s all my fault, and I just don’t care…”

Brings Boobio to mind…Jump – “Enough of This Circus”

PS Revoke Rubio

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Shouldn’t that be Repeal Rubio? Ravening Reprehensible Rubio.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Hellhound On My Trail – Peter Green

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Love is never in vain. It’s its own beginning and end. Love is life. :)

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Good evening, Anti-Control. :) Excellent tune.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM

G/e, Jackie – how are you doing? :)

Peter Green Splinter Group – “You’ll Be Sorry Someday”

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Bluest Blues – Alvin Lee

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Relocate Rubio, too

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM

About as well as can be….given the political class and their determination to destroy the rule of law.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Repatriate Rubio.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:32 AM

The Rolling Stones – “Love in Vain”

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:33 AM

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I hear you. I think it’s good to keep the following in mind:

Politics won’t save this nation. I recognized that early in my 20′s now in my early 60′s. The system corrupts those who run for office. That said in most cases they are already corrupt and that is why they pick politics for a profession.

chemman on July 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Albert Collins – “When the Welfare Turns Its Back on You”

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Love In Vain Blues – Peter Green

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:22 AM

The Rolling Stones – “Love in Vain”

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Allow me to repeat myself. :)

Love is never in vain. It’s its own beginning and end. Love is life. :)

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Good morning Jackie and AC.

gh on July 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Still Got The Blues – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Oops. And Axe.

gh on July 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

So now you and gh show up! Okay… I’ll stick around a little longer… :)

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Love is never in vain. It’s its own beginning and end. Love is life. :)

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM

I’ve just re-read “War And Peace”. Sometimes I think you’re more Prince Andrei… others…maybe not so much… maybe more Pierre.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Brainbox – “Doomsday Train

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Don’t stick around on my account. I need to do some work. I won’t be around long enough to play much but it’s quiet tonight and I wanted to encourage the persistent.

gh on July 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM

I Love You More Than You’ll Ever Know – Moore

Moore… so good.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:49 AM

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Hamlet.

And sometimes Berowne. :)

Oops. And Axe.

gh on July 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Morning gh. :) It wasn’t necessary to back up, but it was nice of you.

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:50 AM

gh on July 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM

I arrived late… worked too long today… can’t sleep.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Good morning Jackie and AC.

gh on July 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

G/m, gh.

Deep Purple – “Anyone’s Daughter”

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Sorry about that Hamlet thing… melancholia, brooding, and all.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Bob Dylan – “Is Your Love in Vain?”

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Brainbox – “Doomsday Train“

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Sophie is enormously competitive. :)

I Love You More Than You’ll Ever Know – Moore

Moore… so good.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Nah. :) You are wiped. I can tell. And I’m not really here, anyway; just saw you dancing through the window. I had a great day: I managed to take several pictures of me that weren’t horrible. I’m pleased to announce my take pictures in bulk and maybe one, by chance, won’t be horrible plan has exceeded my expectations. :) There was five hours of sleep; there was a birthfday party for a yout, there was a power outage. Very eventful. — But, now I’m just starting tomorrow’s work. Today’s. Polishing software I never planned to polish.

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Sorry about that Hamlet thing… melancholia, brooding, and all.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:52 AM

OMG — He’s so misunderstood! He wasn’t melancholy at all! He had the energy of ten people! And when you are awake, I shall expound. :)

lol

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Jackie, do you ever listen to Bill Nelson? He’s kinda overlooked, unfortunately.

Be-Bop Deluxe – “No Trains to Heaven”

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Perhaps I’m the one who’s melancholy and brooding.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Sophie is enormously competitive. :)

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Really? lol :)

She reminds me of one of my best friends, who’s also a smart, Conservative lawyer! Unfortunately, my friend doesn’t open up his creative side like she does, though. :(

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I know who he is, and his brother… I haven’t really listened to his stuff in a long time, though.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Perhaps I’m the one who’s melancholy and brooding.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Let go. :) For today. It’ll all be there. If you can let go, your brain can do that *BZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz* thing (where the spring is sprung) and you can sleeeep.

Sleeeeepppppppp.

Sleeeeeeppppp.

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 3:03 AM

As The Years Go Passing By – Moore

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 3:04 AM

I arrived late… worked too long today… can’t sleep.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:50 AM

I just don’t sleep. I am (still) physically tired from the weekend bbq so I went to bed early and woke (as usual) after 5 hours. My paternal grandmother was the same.

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Good choice. My favorite band. One of my favorite tracks. And I have two daughters. Both well-behaved, thank goodness.

gh on July 22, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 3:03 AM

You’re right. I’ll bid you a fond goodnight, then, and see if I can sleeeeeep.:)

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 3:08 AM

would damage someone for bbq right now

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 3:10 AM

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 3:08 AM

*yawn*

If you can let totally go, you can probably sink. And it’s OK; you’ll remember. And no one will mess with it. Life can resume even if you stop keeping track of it. Try and stop it, frankly. :)

Night Jackie, graceful even when touched with melancholy.

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 3:13 AM

gh on July 22, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 3:15 AM

↓ Lurking.

Axe on July 22, 2013 at 3:15 AM

The Nice – “Rondo”

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Rubeo is not only a backstabbing lil traitor, but he is a coward as well.

None of the posts above discuss the possibility that Rubeo skips the presidential primaries, but ends up on the national ticket anyway, as veep. In that case Id probably consider voting Democrat for the first time in my life.

Valkyriepundit on July 22, 2013 at 3:24 AM

its the race bashing show this am on morning joe…

they are still bashing richard cohen abd everyone on the right…

pathetic…

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 6:21 AM

apparently hannity said something that they are freaking out about…
he was armed with skittles, but hey the president was AWESOME in his speech to the world last week….
-morning joe

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Hey Barky! Kate’s in labor and the media are going apecrap! So if you have any more of your wonderful special news to dump, like Obamacare requiring everybody to get genital warts or Jerry Brown shouting “I declare BANKRUPTCY!!” like Michael Scott… well now’s the time.

I look forward to seeing which particular car in this ongoing train wreck flies off the rails next.

Gingotts on July 22, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Gingotts on July 22, 2013 at 6:26 AM

the lsm rather talk about race instead of the train wreck….we won’t hear about it…

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 6:34 AM

that’s probably is it…joe was freaking out about pot…
one would have thought he was a flaming liberal they way he was freaking out this am…

he is a liberal what am i saying…

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! Fiscal Responsibility? What’s that? “From Detroit to Memphis: A Problem of Stewardship”
My take.

kingsjester on July 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM

that’s probably is it…joe was freaking out about pot…

I wish 0dumba would have been attacked more in 2008 over his past relationship with illicit drugs…

he is a liberal what am i saying…

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM

lol he sure carries on like one! :)

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Anti-Control on July 22, 2013 at 6:44 AM

yup and yup

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 6:45 AM

kingsjester on July 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM

great take KJ

I love how the left likes to point out that the governor is a republican and yet do not want to admit that the city has been run by a democrat for the last umpteen years…

delusional..its all the gop’s fault for the city’s demise apparently…

the emergency manager was on FNS yesterday, boy he spoke truth to power…great segment…

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Why are most of these linked articles from left-wing sites? Are we supposed to form our opinions based on the advice of folks who hate conservatism?

Count Mahdrof on July 22, 2013 at 6:52 AM

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Thank you, ma’am.!

kingsjester on July 22, 2013 at 6:58 AM

From Detroit to Memphis: A Problem of Stewardship”
My take.

kingsjester on July 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Ah Memphis! Perfect example of what is wrong with liberalism. The city kills their school system over a period of decades and then decides to disestablish the organization forcing the taxpayers of Shelby County to foot the bill for years of neglect and bad stewardship. And when the suburban towns respond by voting to make their own school systems…… well that is just racist.

Happy Nomad on July 22, 2013 at 7:15 AM

delusional..its all the gop’s fault for the city’s demise apparently…

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Jennifer Granholm was adamant that MI would not be bailing out Detroit when the issue came up during her tenure. Somehow she never got the negative commentary that Rick Snyder has for saying the very same thing. And the fact of the matter is that Granholm should have done something more substantive during her eight years in office instead of leaving the whole mess for Snyder to deal with.

Happy Nomad on July 22, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Happy Nomad on July 22, 2013 at 7:17 AM

yup, but she has a D next to her name so its all good

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM

yup, but she has a D next to her name so its all good

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Not even the rat-eared mullato was dumb enough to offer her a job in his administration. Not sure how the teaching/pundit gig is going for her but she sure has kept a low profile over the problems in MI- primarily because she spent her eight years jet setting around the world pretending to sell the state to potential manufacturers. Her biggest “accomplishment” was getting that faux battery factory for Holland MI. It was opened with great fanfare and quietly closed without ever having produced anything.

Happy Nomad on July 22, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Rubio’s major rookie mistake is thinking that mccain/schumer are his friends,allies,or mentors, both should be in jail for treason, not in the senate………..

Exgunman on July 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Happy Nomad on July 22, 2013 at 7:29 AM

ouch…her other claim to fame, the rant at the dnc convention…a star is born

cmsinaz on July 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM

-U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz.

That’s where you’re wrong. Many of us are done with the “lesser of two evils” schtick, and I think you may be finding that out come 2014. I wouldn’t vote GOP if you dug Reagan up and ran him for office.

DFCtomm on July 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Wanting to create more government give-aways, create an economically unstable climate in which it appears the US will NEVER enforce its immigration laws and then sidling up to McCain and sounding like a crony Elitist are all NOT Tea Party positions. Any tarnishing that Marco Rubio did was to think that he was elected to serve non-citizens over citizens. Those who oppose him are pro-law enforcement of a set of laws that does not reward those who violate our laws. This is not an ‘anti-citizenship’ stance… but the one taken by Rubio, McCain, et. al. sure reminds people that they are attempting to serve those not here legally and support them FIRST. That is an anti-citizen position. You know, the voters who ELECTED HIM? Those people. He is supposed to serve them, not those who don’t bother with the law to be here illegally.

And that is also a core Tea Party position: pro rule of law, pro due process, no special giveaways and our representatives are to represent and serve us, not others.

ajacksonian on July 22, 2013 at 7:50 AM

ajacksonian on July 22, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Rubio’s biggest problem is his lack of integrity. You can’t say something to English speakers and the exact opposite to Spanish speakers without it coming back to bite you in the behind.

And, the fact of the matter is that our immigration system isn’t broken- the one we have works fine. We have a border security problem not an immigration problem. And not one thing in the Senate bill fixes that problem. The laws directing a stronger border fence has been on the books for years with something like only 36 miles of new fence actually having been constructed. Rubio et al should be concerned about following through on that law before attempting to pass another.

Happy Nomad on July 22, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Repatriate Rubio.

thatsafactjack on July 22, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Ok. But he seems an honorable young man.

If he leaves, however, can they take Juan McClame and our favorite speedboat sailor, too?

Watch this page, NSA or someone is backfeed tracking ISP IDs on it:

IlikedAUH2O on July 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Someone should ask Rubio (and other 2016 gop general election loser wannabes) if he would continue to support the Bush 41 policy of continued appeasement by the Israeli government towards the so called Palestinians.

Now, the PLO filth won’t even TALK until they get the Jews to give up land that they took 46 years ago.

THAT issue and Amnesty are where the rubber meets the road to tell what Politicians all believe.

How long would it take before you’d hear Rubio say the words: “Two State Solution”?

Palestinians say no peace talks without ’67 borders agreement

(Reuters) – The Palestinians played down on Monday the significance of an imminent meeting in Washington of their top peace envoy with his Israeli counterpart, saying formal negotiation would not begin unless their opening terms were satisfied.

The Palestinian position seemed to run counter to U.S. hopes that bringing together Saeb Erekat and Israel’s Tzipi Livni in the coming days would kick-start peacemaking stalled for almost three years over Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank.

In another setback to the negotiators’ meeting, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu planned first to seek cabinet-level approval for the prospective new talks, which were announced by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday.

At the time, Kerry, winding up months of intensive and discreet mediation, predicted Erekat and Livni would join him in Washington “to begin initial talks within the next week or so”.

But that appeared unlikely as Netanyahu, facing skepticism within his rightist governing coalition at the diplomatic drive, wanted to await the next full sitting of his cabinet on July 28 or possibly an earlier session of the smaller security cabinet.

“It looks like negotiations will begin only next week, not this week,” an Israeli official said late on Sunday, disclosing Netanyahu’s plans to win over recalcitrant ministers.

Netanyahu says the new talks must be held without “preconditions”, especially regarding the borders of the state Palestinians want to found in the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza Strip, which Israel captured in the 1967 Middle East war.

PappyD61 on July 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Rubio has lost me, at least until he grows up.

WannabeAnglican on July 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

PappyD61 on July 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM

In case this comment was missed yesterday on this thread:

I’m hoping that Cruz will reveal the dirty little secret that the military junta now in Egypt just let go that Morsi and the MB were bribed by ozero with 8 billion of our hard earned cash. It’s a huge story that has yet to be told. Here’s only one of the many links.

Seems Obama gave the MB/Muslim Brotherhood 8 billion of our hard earned, here’s why:
• SECRET agreement between the Obama administration and the Muslim Brotherhood (not the Egyptian government) to give 40% of the Sinai and the annexation of that part of Egyptian territory in Gaza. The objective is to facilitate the conclusion of a comprehensive peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians
• This agreement was signed by Khairat el Shater (number 2 of the Brotherhood) by Morsi and the Supreme Guide FM. (FM stands for Muslim Brotherhood)
• A sum of U.S. $ 8 billion was paid to the FM.
• The document was seized by the army following the deposition of Morsi. This is the army that has leaked the news.
• An investigation is ongoing Morsi and El Shater. An arrest warrant was filed against the Guide to FM and other members of his office.

rodguy911 on July 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Now this is better news:-)

McConnell to get Tea Party challenger
thehill.com ^ | 7/22/13 | Alexandra Jaffe

I hope he is a winner!! This is going to cause Rand Paul to be behind the eight ball.

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

bluefox on July 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

He’s a George Soros funded progressive RINGER.

“Trust but verify!”

Just for the record I despise McConnell. However, any imposter TEA Party activist like Sarah Durand who is willing to work with “Spooky Dude” is a progressive in disguise.

Corrupt elites on both sides of the aisle will attempt to hijack the TEA party because they need the “District of Corruption” to continue.

Jayrae on July 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Rubio’s senior staff is a bunch of establishment Republican insiders, with long-established ties to radical Hispanic organizations, not the boat-rocking Tea Partiers that provided the manpower for Rubio’s upstart campaign against Governor Charlie Crist.

Chief of Staff Cesar Conda was a Romney operative and it is worth noting has long-time ties to Congressman Paul Ryan, too. Conda is no movement conservative, having worked for a series of moderate Republicans and cheap-labor-loving lobbies, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Conda also has longstanding ties to Hispanic Leadership Fund (HLF) president Mario Lopez, who regularly trashes those who question the Gang of Eight approach as “nativist.”

Lopez, while not on Rubio’s Senate staff, has been regularly brought to meetings by Rubio and his staff to discredit groups like the Center for Immigration Studies, NumbersUSA, and Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR).

Communications Director Alex Burgos, a longtime amnesty proponent, is also particularly influential with his Boss on the issue of illegal immigration and amnesty for illegal aliens.

Burgos is no conservative (he’s a former Romney staffer) and his vitriolic attacks on conservatives are straight out of the Republican establishment’s playbook on how to alienate the GOP base.

If you sift through Rubio’s staff and consultants you’d be hard pressed to find many who have strong roots in the Tea Party or conservative movement – from consultant Todd Harris, formerly of the McCain and Arnold Schwarzenegger operations, to a long list of staffers who are George W. Bush alumni, like Brian Walsh and Victor Cervino.

Who you walk with tells me a lot about who you are, and who Marco Rubio walks with every day in his Capitol Hill office explains a lot about who he has become since reaching Washington DC.

Jayrae on July 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM