“Geeks Out” seeking to end Ender’s Game

posted at 4:31 pm on July 21, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

This is something I’ve been waiting for since at least the 90′s, and I’m not talking about the media catnip highlighted in the title. This November we’ll finally see the release of the movie version of Orson Scott Card’s sci-fi classic, Ender’s Game. Card has produced a lot of good work, but when I first read Ender’s Game, I was hooked. I did not wind up reading every book in the series, but the first four (also including Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind) were excellent. But the technology has only recently arrived to truly do the books credit in movie form, I think.

Unfortunately, there’s always somebody ready to pee in your pool, and a gay activist group known as Geeks Out has launched an effort to boycott the film.

The film “Ender’s Game” tells the story of a gifted child sent to a military academy in space to prepare for an alien invasion. It’s catnip for the Comic-Con crowd, and Lionsgate Entertainment wants to position it as November’s big-budget blockbuster. But the studio is encountering an unexpected publicity nightmare: an activist group called Geeks Out is pushing a boycott of the film, claiming that anyone who pays to see it will effectively be subsidizing antigay “fear-mongering.”

Geeks Out wants to sink the film to punish Orson Scott Card, who wrote the 1985 novel “Ender’s Game” and was one of several producers for the screen adaptation. In 1990, Mr. Card argued in the magazine Sunstone that “laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books” and “be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.” He was on the board of the National Organization for Marriage, which opposes same-sex unions, from 2009 until this year.

Perhaps the most shocking part of this tale is that the linked article above actually condemns (if rather gently) the efforts to boycott the film, and it’s from a writer at the New York Times. (I’ll wait for somebody to fetch the smelling salts after that one.)

Card is no stranger to controversy when he steps outside of his fiction writing and gets involved in the public square. Long time Hot Air readers might enjoy a trip down memory lane all the way back to 2006 when Allahpundit introduced a podcast discussing some of the author’s socially conservative beliefs and interviews. Personally, I have little interest in such boycotts, and would prefer that the author’s work – and the subsequent film effort – be judged on its own merits.

Just please, please, please don’t make it in 3D. Or if you must, release a normal 2D version of it at the same time. 3D just ruins everything. (Well, except Piranha, of course. Oh, and it should be noted that the preview at that link is probably somewhat NSFW.)

Comments

…slow Sunday

KOOLAID2 on July 21, 2013 at 4:33 PM

3D just ruins everything.

Amen to that.

sharrukin on July 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM

The perpetually offended and the eternally indignant demand a sacrifice.

nobar on July 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

No one can simply enjoy anything anymore…

catmman on July 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Yep. The Gay Crusaders have been after Card for quite a long time. It’s goddamned pathetic. I’d actually be interested to hear Bret Easton Ellis’ take on the matter, since despite being gay, he has been attacked quite a lot in recent years for not towing the line that homosexuality should be any kind of protected class. He was even excluded from the GLAAD awards.

They really are going to push it too far.

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Tribe mentality is a staple of all progressivism.

nobar on July 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM

No one can simply enjoy anything anymore…

catmman on July 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM

It’s all politics and all politics is war. Credo of the Left and how they overwhelm societies. Resistance finally exhausts itself because regular, sane people just want to live their lives. So they end up living it under tyranny. If we want to beat the left, we have to become maniacs too.

rrpjr on July 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Linkee no work for me as I do not do faceboob.

rbj on July 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Storyline

The Earth was ravaged twice by the Buggers, an alien race seemingly determined to destroy humanity
==============================

Buggers eh!!

canopfor on July 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM

meh book will probably be meh movie…

blue13326 on July 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

====================

Absolutely Fabulous!!
(sarc)

canopfor on July 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Enders’ games.

rogerb on July 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I wasn’t planning to see the movie, but these bratty asshats have convinced me otherwise.

RadClown on July 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Geek out?
Out of the locker?

Flange on July 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM

It’s difficult to discern who is more of a Complete Plu-Perfect Idiot doing MORE to “give oxygen” to stupid and obscure Liberal Non-Causes amd doing MORE damage to Conservatism…..

Jazz or another poster here who’s pseudoname begins with “A”…..

It’s close – but it’s obviously a competition betweeen these two…

I wonder if they bathe together…..

williamg on July 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Another exciting weekend with Jazz Shaw. Fortunately, no one at Salem is smart enough to figure out why the Hot Air weekend hit counts are so low.

bw222 on July 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Having gays threaten to boycott Ender’s Game is about as effective as thugs and radicals threatening to boycott Florida. A plus.

pat on July 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I probably will end up seeing it twice…at full price, now.

The book is excellent. And required reading now at Quantico and recommended at other military academies.

ProfShadow on July 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I am going to see this movie several times. I loved the book and am excited about the movie. It is critical that we support the few conservative authors that are out there. We cannot allow the militant gays to torpedo conservative works of art like ender’s game.

Vegi on July 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Huh. I’m surprised this was mentioned at Hotair.

Anyway. If you can think of the nerdiest, comic-book loving, table-top gaming, anime-watching dorks … that’s “Geeks Out” for you. They throw cosplay parties and host booths at gaming conventions. The term “gay activist group” is about as applicable to that group as are nerds to social gatherings. No offense meant to nerds.

ZachV on July 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM

pat on July 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Remember that whole “a day without an illegal” thing a few years ago? The one that was not unlike a bratty child threatening to run away from home because his parents wouldn’t give him free candy…and then was quietly ended because some libtard had a flash of insight into just how badly it could backfire.

I really hope they try that again.

MelonCollie on July 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Any response was Card? Has he apologized yet like every other useless, spineless pseudo “culture warrior” on the Right?

rrpjr on July 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Great, I just watched a one-minute clip on IMDB and Hollywood has already mangle the story. Imagine how much damage they could do with over a hundred minutes?

Read the book. Before they pollute your brain.

Socratease on July 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Actually, I hope the gay organizations do boycott. And I hope they keep boycotting everything and everyone who disagrees with them.

I don’t care who someone decides who to live with, or have sex with. If you are an adult, do as you will. The gays do not need my approval, or permission.

However, when you are an infinitesimally small minority, and riding the crest of a wave of approval, don’t start spitting at everyone else. That schtick gets old fast. Watch out for the backfire.

Rode Werk on July 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Afterword of his book Empire:

Geography aside, however, we have never been so evenly divided with such hateful rhetoric since the years leading up to the Civil War of the 1860s. Because the national media elite are so uniformly progressive, we keep hearing (in the elite media) about the rhetorical excesses of the ‘extreme right.’ To hear the same media, there is no ‘extreme left,’ just the occasional progressive who says things he or she shouldn’t.

But any rational observer has to see that the Left and Right in America are screaming the most vile accusations at each other all the time. We are fully polarized- if you accept one idea that sounds like it belongs to either the blue or the red, you are assumed- nay, required – to espouse the entire rest of the package, even though there is no reason why supporting the war against terrorism should imply you’re in favor of banning all abortions and against restricting the availability of firearms; no reason why being in favor of keeping government-imposed limits on the free market should imply you also are in favor of giving legal status to homosexual couples and against building nuclear reactors. These issues are not remotely related, and yet if you hold any of one group’s views, you are hated by the other group as if you believed them all; and if you hold most of one group’s views, but not all, you are treated as if you were a traitor for deviating even slightly from the party line.

It goes deeper than this, however. A good working definition of fanaticism is that you are so convinced of your views and polices that you are sure anyone who opposes them must either be stupid or deceived or have some ulterior motive. We are today a nation where almost everyone in the public eye displays fanaticism with every utterance.

It is part of human nature to regard as sane those people who share the worldview of the majority of society. Somehow, though, we have managed to divide ourselves into two different, mutually exclusive sanities. The people in each society reinforce each other in madness, believing unsubstantiated ideas that are often contradicted not only by each other but also by whatever objective evidence exists on the subject. Instead of having an ever-adapting civilization-wide consensus reality, we have become a nation of insane people able to see the madness only in the other side.

Does this lead, inevitably, to civil war? Of course not- though it’s hardly conducive to stable government or the long-term continuation of democracy. What inevitably arises from such division is the attempt by one group, utterly convinced of its rectitude, to use all coercive forces available to stamp out the opposing views.

Such an effort is, of course, a confession of madness. Suppression of other people’s beliefs by force only comes about when you are deeply afraid that your own beliefs are wrong and you are desperate to keep anyone from challenging them. Oh, you may come up with rhetoric about how you are suppressing them for their own good or for the good of others, but people who are confident of their beliefs are content merely to offer and teach, not compel.

The impulse towards coercion takes whatever forms are available. In academia, it consists of the denial of degrees, jobs, or tenure to people with nonconformist opinions. Ironically, the people who are most relentless in eliminating competing ideas congratulate themselves on their tolerance and diversity. In most situations, it is less formal, consisting of shunning- but the shunning usually has teeth in it. Did Mel Gibson, when in his cups, say something that reflects his upbringing in an anti-Semitic household? Then he is to be shunned- which in Hollywood will mean he can never be considered for an Oscar and will have a much harder time getting prestige, as opposed to money, roles.

It has happened to me, repeatedly, from both the Left and the Right. It is never enough to disagree with me- I must be banned from speaking at a particular convention or campus; my writings should be boycotted; anything that will punish me for my noncompliance and, if possible, impoverish me and my family.

So virulent are these responses- again, from both the Left and the Right- that I believe it is only a short step to the attempt to use the power of the state to enforce one’s views. On the right we have attempts to use the government to punish flag burners and to enforce state-sponsored praying. On the left, we have a ban on free speech and peaceable public assembly in front of abortion clinics and the attempt to use the power of the state to force the acceptance of homosexual relationships as equal to marriages. Each side feels absolutely justified in compelling others to accept their views.

It is puritanism, not in its separatist form, desiring to live by themselves by their own rules, but in its Cromwellian form, using the power of the state to enforce the dicta of one group throughout wider society, by force rather than persuasion

This despite the historical fact that the civilization that has created more prosperity and freedom for more people than ever before is one based on tolerance and pluralism, and that attempts to force one religion (theistic or atheistic) on the rest of a nation or the world inevitably lead to misery, poverty, and, usually, conflict.

It goes on, but it shows that Mr. Card is not the shallow mind that many on here try to irrationally portray him as. How anyone can interpret his thoughts and writings as anything less than rational is beyond me.

njrob on July 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The above was a post I uselessly put on IMDB about this subject a while ago.

njrob on July 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I regularly go to a movie most weekends with a regular friend (just got back from seeing “Turbo”).

If this Gay Out group is against this movie, then I’m going to see it, even if it is in 3D.

Oh, and Turbo is cool and ok for kids, including big kids like me. Best scene: Involves Chet and a certain pastry.

KirknBurker on July 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Why do we even have protected classes in America? That phrase should be anathema to every American.

xkaydet65 on July 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Read the book. Before they pollute your brain.

Socratease on July 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Another “The Sum of All Fears” type of change from book?

KirknBurker on July 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Another “The Sum of All Fears” type of change from book?

KirknBurker on July 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

No because then the book wouldn’t be Ender’s Game. But they did change the ages of the kids to make it suitable for mass audiences (teens instead of adolescents) and they’ll probably make the twist weaker.

njrob on July 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Don’t they know that all this is going to do is draw attention from religious folks who weren’t otherwise interested? This is counterproductive, and I’m going to LOVE watching the ticket sales roll in.

mintycrys on July 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The “gay activist” movement is all over the place of late. In August they are holding a “Gay gamers convenstion” in San Fran. One of their issues is the lack of gay characters in video games.

Its so bizzare. The people who would like to supposedly be left alone, are all about having the world define them by only their sexuality. If you think about it, unless a game is ABOUT sexuality, then any number of characters in any given game could be gay, because their character doesn’t talk about their sexuality AT ALL.

So rather than having “gay characters”, what they really want is there to be characters in games that are all about being gay.

Whatever.

I’m so tired of their “look at me” nonsense.

deadrody on July 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Speaking of BoyCotts……………

The Hill ‏@thehill 2h

Leading Black Caucus member not ready to call for Florida boycott http://j.mp/13P0d7o
===================

canopfor on July 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I guess I’m in the minority here. I read Ender’s Game ages ago and didn’t much like it. Damned if I can remember why though. Guess I’m gonna have to read it again.

Oldnuke on July 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Whatever.

I’m so tired of their “look at me” nonsense.

deadrody on July 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Exactly. They want every character to be a tranny like the one in Final Fight. It’s likely over 10% of the game developers dreamed up their main characters as gay, but it’s not an issue because sex isn’t in the game.

If they want to be perverse, they can play Mass Effect 2 and have homosexual relations to their heart’s content.

njrob on July 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

njrob on July 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Actually, that quote displayed the very shallow “a pox on both houses” behavior. Because he disagrees with some subset of both political parties, he calls both crazy. I was like that as a kid, but as I worked out the reasoning of policies from first principles, I came to understand that the Democrats are pretty much always wrong (Republicans are not always right, but Democrats seldom get anything important right).

Count to 10 on July 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Oldnuke on July 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I don’t care much for the wunderkind superchild aspect. Way too much an adolescent fantasy to imagine yourself as so smart that you are always better at everything than anyone else.

Count to 10 on July 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Count to 10 on July 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I agree with you, but you have to remember the audience to whom he is writing. He’s trying to avoid alienating consumers.

Not to mention there really isn’t much difference between the two parties anymore as we can see by how much our 2008 presidential candidate votes for leftist policies.

njrob on July 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I saw the trailer and I said to myself…

“Harrison Ford can’t act at all.”

sentinelrules on July 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I met Orson Scott Card not long after I read Ender’s Game when we both lived in the same city. Extremely nice guy, and a very prolific writer. He’s not shy about his beliefs and he treats his fans with respect. I know the movie won’t live up to my expectations (I’ve read all the books)but I’ll go see it in 2d if possible. I hate 3d movies also.

Mini-14 on July 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM

rrpjr on July 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

No — he’s been pretty consistent and provocative on this one. He’s not anti-gay — he considers that imposing gay marriage and other “rights” by fiat is autocratic and destructive. Has taken an enormous amount of heat for it. And doesn’t care, as far as I can tell.

Prufrock on July 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

As an aside – but with a segue from the 3D comment – we went and saw RIPD last night. The only showing that was available when we could actually go was in 3D.

1 – the previews were horrific. Anchorman2 looks abjectly stupid, and some Jennifer Aniston or whatever her name is movie about a ‘family’ that goes via RV to Mexico to smuggle pot – wherein Miss Aniston is a stripper – was… well, don’t take your kids to the movie, or anything that might accidentally have a wholly inappropriate preview. FFS.

2 – RIPD was… not good. Jeff Bridges seemed like he was phoning it in. Seriously. It was True Grit meets Big Lebowski, and I think maybe he was sight-reading some of the lines in some scenes, the delivery was that stilted and awkward.

3 – the 3D treatment of the movie was perhaps the worst I’ve seen in recent memory. Not sure how to explain that, other than to say scenes where it wasn’t really ‘happening’ were fuzzy, the color was off, shiny – kind of like you were looking at it through a mild ’60′s “oil and water on the overhead projector” concert-type effect.

Midas on July 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

My problem is that I got the short story first run out of Analog magazine… the years between that and the novel definitely left me with a bias to the short story. The novel felt artificial and a letdown. I’ve read a good bit of OSC, loved some of his short story collections, enjoyed his Alvin Maker series and don’t give a damn about his politics or religion, although I appreciate the religious themes he brings out from his background. I tried to enjoy the second book and just… sigh…

When he was wondering how he was going to fit so much into a movie, all I could think was ‘Well you could use your short-story and jettison most of the stuff you shoved into the novel…’. I’m with Jerry Pournelle – short stories are tailor made for movies having just the right amount of length to limit backstory and trying to overpopulate the story with excess plots and characters. The short story is an art form. In general when OSC is doing short stories, he is hitting in the all-time greats category of SF writers. To me much of his novels are hit or miss deals: when he is clicking he has no peer and when he isn’t you can’t drink enough coffee to make it through the book.

I’ll probably pass on the movie. It takes a lot for me to hand over bucks to the corrupt Hollywood apparatus via my local Big Box Boredom Cinema, and they don’t seem to be getting the message that their current cookbook is failing them badly.

Maybe I’ll browse some original SF on Roku or Amazon. Reward the outsider little guy who might just understand that movies are for tightly crafted stories…

ajacksonian on July 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Count to 10 on July 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM

What’s tragic is when you grow up to be a Senator, then President, and never let your incompetent reality intrude on the fantasy.

Midas on July 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

3D just ruins everything.

Not as far as my daughter is concerned.

John the Libertarian on July 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM

How long until someone makes Piranhas on a Plane?

Whether that preview was NSFW or not, the whole thing appears Not Safe For One’s Intelligence.

As for Card’s alleged homophobia, there is nothing in Card’s novels that is the least bit homophobic. This is the same approach as calling George Zimmerman a murderer because he defended himself against a black youth. If the movie were homophobic, Harrison Ford wouldn’t be in it. The only thing that would get me to boycott it would be bad word of mouth. If it’s not good, don’t go see it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself and ignore the haters.

flataffect on July 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM

ajacksonian on July 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Pretty much my feeling, and I’ve read just about everything he has written (skipped the coffee, though).

AesopFan on July 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

rrpjr on July 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Prufrock on July 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

From a link in the NYT article to the source they didn’t credit:

‘Ender’s Game’ Boycott Planned Over Orson Scott Card’s Anti-Gay Views
10:37 AM PDT 7/8/2013 by Hilary Lewis
… Card himself released a statement to Entertainment Weekly late Monday suggesting that the Supreme Court’s recent same-sex marriage decisions make his views moot.

“Ender’s Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984,” Card wrote. “With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state. Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute.”

I doubt Card is holding his breath waiting for that tolerance; he’s been fighting these battles a long time.
The kicker is that he is (or was last time I looked; at least, he has been since the seventies) a card-carrying Democrat and has been known to say mean things about Republicans (cf Rick Perry’s remarks in the last campaign about his “heartless” opponents who object to “helping the innocent” illegal immigrants) but also bashes the Dems when he disagrees with
them.

FWIW, Card is also a card-carrying Mormon.

AesopFan on July 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM

NYT may have this right:

On a practical level, the Geeks Out project seems misguided. These things have a way of backfiring, as when former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas promoted Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day to counter the Chick-fil-A boycott. Attending a goofy popcorn movie could become a way to express disapproval of gays and lesbians — hardly a happy ending.

I’m going to the movie anyway, but will be happy to cite this as a reason. Also bought cakes from a “boycotted” bakery and ate at Chick-fil-A, things which I don’t usually do.

AesopFan on July 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Another “The Sum of All Fears” type of change from book?

KirknBurker on July 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Not even that meaningful. The Second Invasion looked all screwed up, they had it happening in the atmosphere with jet planes and Mazer Rackham pulling a Kamikaze stunt.

Socratease on July 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I didn’t enjoy the book in the least and stopped reading half through, but a boycott is a tad too much thought policing.

thuja on July 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I put down Enders’ Game about half way through.

It hit me as Mormon Science Fiction. Not just Science Fiction — Mormon Science Fiction.

Not being theologically a Mormon, I found said theology subtly intrusive.

I think that’s why most science fiction writers addressing religion choose to invent one which has features not present in any existing human religion — if only so they don’t alienate everyone other than the real religion’s adherents — or alienate the adherents if they’ve made the religion be “of the dark side”.

unclesmrgol on July 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Ender’s Game was, to me, a mediocre book that somehow developed a reputation far in excess of its actual merits. For reasons unknown to me.

On an extended business trip, however, I was desperate enough for reading material that I bought the second book, Speaker for the Dead, in the hopes that it would at least pass the time. It turned out to be so tedious and pretentious that I couldn’t even finish it.

I don’t know which Hollywood bothers me more, the Hollywood that keeps re-making movies because it doesn’t have any better ideas, or the Hollywood that tries to be original and picks the worst of all possible material with which to broaden its horizons.

HTL on July 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Reviewing the IMDB entry for the movie, I note — and I’m not making this up — that General Graff is being played by Harrison Ford, and his aide is being played by — wait for it — “Han Soto”.

Yes, that is culturally insensitive. But they did it, not me.

unclesmrgol on July 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Well, the perverts really showed Chik-fil-a, didn’t they?

CurtZHP on July 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

3D just ruins everything.

Not as far as my daughter is concerned.

My brain just stops seeing it after 15 minutes or so. After that it just blurs the edges of the detail.

Socratease on July 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

This boycott has convinced me to see it at least twice :-)

DaMav on July 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I thought it was the sequel to Hunger Games. All these futuristic serials look the same to me.

rrpjr on July 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

The “Ender’s Game” series is probably the best Science Fiction Series since the “Dune” trilogy…….

williamg on July 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I saw the trailer and I said to myself…

“Harrison Ford can’t act at all.”

sentinelrules on July 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Same, he looks wooden and bored. Eh, I’ll still see it.

LaughterJones on July 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I liked “Enders Shadow” better than “Enders Game”.

mad scientist on July 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

williamg on July 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

You forgot the sarcasm tag. Some people might not know that what you just wrote is a Sci-Fi fan’s inside joke.

HTL on July 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I’m a huge fan of the book and have been looking forward to this movie for years

I’ve been awaiting the nasty smear campaign by the left, and it’s been disgusting

“Entertainment Weekly” last week made 4 separate references to Card’s anti-SSM views, then this week had 2 long articles just about it. For a movie not coming out until November…

Card has certainly dug his own grave with this one and made some pretty inflammatory statements about things other than just SSM (supporting anti-sodomy laws, etc) which will all be dredged up

But it’s disgusting how the professionally outraged leftists have become so fascist in imposing their belief systems– none worse than the homosexual community at present

They’re constantly phrasing this debate in terms of “hate” and “human rights” which it isn’t at all, taking the inflammatory rhetoric to another level

I myself was on the fence about dragging the Mrs to see in the theater (she hates scifi), but I will definitely go see it now to counter this perpetual boycott crap

I hope our side can galvanize and support this movie on its merits when it comes out– it is an amazing work of scifi and should be a good movie

My suggestion– grab some Chick-Fil-A and then go see the movie in November

thurman on July 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM

No offense meant to nerds.

ZachV on July 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM PM

None Taken…:o)

Seriously though: I’m pretty sure I have at least 2-3 of OSC books somewhere in the mini Library of Congress that passes from my book collection (Our Motto: Never Throw Away Anything!) But i definitely can say I never read Enders Game.

Having said such, I will try to Kindle/Paperback a copy before seeing. It sounds worthwhile, and frankly it COULDN’T be any worse than that L Ron Hubbard “Invaders Plan” Series…which i stopped reading after book #4…and for me, that should tell you how Gawd-Awful it was.

Now, if they did a decent movie on the “Kildar” series I would be *highly* interested…IF they can refrain from screwing THAT up.

Or maybe, just MAYBE we can finally get a honest ‘Destroyer‘ movie/remake?

Just sayin.

BlaxPac on July 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Read Ender’s Game recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I recommend liberals in general boycott the movie because the book is quite realistic in its tragic view (the Ancient Greek kind of tragic view) of man and Buggers if not buggerers.

Not that the Greeks made much of a fuss over buggery, you see.

Of course the libtards will have to …er…actually read the book.

Not that they appear to read much of anything and tend to know even less.

Sherman1864 on July 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Here’s his and Dr. Helen’s latest featuring “Ender’s Game” author Card, who was last seen around these parts equating the Democrats’ electoral victory with American defeat. His latest book, “Empire,” imagines a blue state/red state conflict set in 2008. He tells the Reynoldses that yes, in fact, it could happen here, which, while strictly true, is an idea I find to be a tad, er, “eccentric.” He does think it’s unlikely, though, and that we’re probably just in for a worldwide economic depression instead.

I dunno… he’s sounds a bit prophetic here… remember that was 2006…

Skywise on July 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM

That’s one of the most frightening things I’ve read in a long time.

EddieC on July 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

That’s one of the most frightening things I’ve read in a long time.

EddieC on July 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

You’ve been asleep since 2008?

Skywise on July 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM

As much as I don’t agree with laws against what people can do in their bedrooms(though the homosexual activists kind of overplayed their hand and nullified any sympathy by forcing acceptance and glorification of what they do in those bedrooms – and on streets, and in parks, etc – on our kids in schools and now everywhere), if something by this author gets the immoral left-wing lunatics all bent out of shape this badly, I have to go see it. So thanks for the reverse-recommendation, morons! I appreciate it.

Sterling Holobyte on July 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Its so bizzare. The people who would like to supposedly be left alone

deadrody on July 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM

It has been a long time since gays were about wanting to “be left alone”, unfortunately.

Dreadnought on July 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Its an interesting story. I’m looking forward to the movie. We’ll see if its any good.

Karmashock on July 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I liked “Enders Shadow” better than “Enders Game”.
mad scientist on July 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Why?

Sherman1864 on July 22, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Hmmm… if I decided that I wouldn’t go see a movie (which had nothing at all about gay rights in it the same way that this one has nothing at all anti-gay in it) and my only reason for not wanting to see it was because the author of the book on which the movie was based was gay and/or was a pro-gay marriage advocate, the left would call me homophobic, hateful, bigoted, anti-free speech, fascist, a suppresor and probably a lot worse.

Why do they get to do such things when I can’t?

Oh, yeah, double-standards. I hate double-standards.

I was probably going to go see this movie twice. Now I will have to go see it three or four times just to make up for anybody who didn’t see it because of the author’s faith. And I won’t mind one whit. :)

Theophile on July 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM

You talk about technology just getting good enough, yet decry 3-D?

3-D is wonderful! Don’t be a Luddite! We have a 3_D TV and it is almost like a hologram in your living room! Not always, they need to keep working on it… but it is so cool to have the doors open and people walk into your room…

Ender’s Game is a classic, I find it unlikely that anyone can stop it. My daughter who just graduated High School said she wrote at least four papers on Ender’s Game for her classes, it is bigger than Gay rights.

I hope in this case any publicity is good publicity. I wouldn’t be thinking about the movie yet if not for the boycott stuff… so it’s going to be good in the long run.

petunia on July 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Perhaps Hollywood should punish Orson Scott Card the same way they did alleged child rapist Roman Polański. Let’s see, if I remember correctly, they gave a Polański directed picture, The Pianist (2002), three Academy Awards, including best director.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 22, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Well it looks like I should watch the movie in Florida, so as to Pxxx off two groups.

barnone on July 22, 2013 at 6:17 AM

That’s one of the most frightening things I’ve read in a long time.

EddieC on July 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

So you’re against all limitations on sexual contact and marriage, right? Incest, bestiality, age of consent are all fair game to you, right? Otherwise you’re just using your moral compass the same as Mr. Card expect that yours points to a different true north.

njrob on July 22, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Geeks Out is nothing but Anti-American, McCarthyite garbage out to prevent Orson Scott Card from exercising his freedom of religion.

Nothing more, nothing less.

MNHawk on July 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM

ajacksonian on July 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Another Analog reader! I read a number of books serialized there before they ever sat on a bookstore shelf, too. David Brin and Lois McMaster Bujold, in particular.

BlaxPac on July 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Ummmmmm, those would *definitely* be rated R – and not for the violence. Hollywood would make those – but only if they could take out the gun bunny stuff (~40% of the books), remodel the anti-terrorism angles (~40%) and leave the kinky s.ex (20%+).

GWB on July 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM

unclesmrgol on July 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM

On the other hand you have Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Don’t know if you’d class him as a science fiction writer but I do. It always seemed to me that he was trying very hard to alienate every religion’s adherents. I was always fascinated by his “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent”.

Oldnuke on July 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I really don’t understand what the big deal is about this book. Seriously, where is the excitement, the character interest, the plot? All I took away from it was: Too young of a kid as the main character (really smart 6 year olds just can’t physically do some of this stuff let alone be able to emotionally handle it), way too many scenes of little boys running around naked with grown men watching them (is Harrison Ford going to be the pervert leader in the movie???), and a plot line involving his sister that just doesn’t work. And the ending is flat and anti-climatic. All that said, I might watch the movie, but not until it comes to my local Redbox. :-)

TeaTrekkie on July 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I wasn’t interested in seeing “Ender’s Game” until now. If it pisses off weirdos who want to hijack marriage so they can pretend to be normal, I’m there.

CrustyB on July 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The trailers for “Ender’s Game” look pretty good, with good actors in key roles like Harrison Ford, Ben Kingsley, Viola Davis, and Asa Butterfield (Ender) who was Hugo in the film “Hugo”.

I would not be surprised if “Ender’s Game” turns out to be a blockbuster like “Avatar”.

J Baustian on July 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

njrob on July 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Actually, I think logistics may have determined that they use teens- just how many 6 year olds can even pretend to be like Ender or his launchmates?

makattak on July 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM

makattak on July 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Fair enough except they could’ve chosen an older actor and just make him look younger. Ender’s Game goes for several years and he isn’t 6 when he goes to Command School. I think a 12 year old could’ve handled the role.

njrob on July 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM

J Baustian on July 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Hailee Steinfeld (Oscar nominee @ age 14),is also in the cast.Her acting skills in True Grit were amazing. She has a major part in this movie as she did in True Grit. She did great in a Western,and now it will be great to see her in a movie about the future.

dec5 on July 23, 2013 at 4:17 AM