Harris-Perry: Detroit is “what it looks like when government is small enough to drown”

posted at 4:01 pm on July 20, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

This cannot be real life. Tell me this is not real life.

We can talk about the microstory of Detroit, but it seems to me that Detroit, as always, is standing for all kinds of things about America. In the case of Detroit, the reason that the tax base has become so small is because a loss of population, right? So folks out, they are not there to pay the taxes on the homes and the kind of deterioration is what you see in the numbers you’ve suggested. But this lack of tax base is also exactly the kind of thing that many Republicans would impose on us, even when our cities have sufficient populations, even when our communities have sufficient populations. This is what it looks like when government is small enough to drown in your bathtub, and it is not a pretty picture.

Okay… so, let’s go ahead and get this straight. Detroit has been a bastion of All Thing Progressive for decades, with the government and its pension funds and etcetera spending themselves into oblivion while residents have been fleeing the accompanying signs of economic and social depreciation — which effectively worsened the problem of too much government spending by shrinking the available tax base and cutting into revenue — all of which has finally led to the inevitable conclusion of Detroit’s fiscal ruin.

Despite this entirely liberal achievement, Harris-Perry tries to use the example of Detroit to criticize Republicans for… wanting to lower taxes? I think? As in, Republicans would shrink the tax base by lowering taxes, and thereby worsen the problems of governments that cannot cover their own expenses, and really what we should be doing is just growing the government and increasing taxes everywhere, all the time. I suppose the idea of — oh, I don’t know — the government spending less, and not making promises that it can’t afford to keep, and people instead using more private-sector, free-market means and reaping the benefits of the subsequent economic growth, isn’t an option, then? Are we not doing that?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hey Erika, you hit the Big Time. Tom Blumer at NewsBusters mentions you and this thread in a new post, and also crosslinks it.

Link.

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM

No one should be surprised at the idocy of the left and their appraisel of what has caused their world to crumble around them! If it’s not the fault of G. W. Bush or his father, it’s Republican’s in general! Never the social engineers of the left, who are to blame!

tomshup on July 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Republicans cause sunspots, too.

And the dinosaurs were driven out of existence by incipient Republican climate change.

Got a problem, the progressives got an answer: Republicans.

Ketchup bottle not flowing-? Republicans.

Cheez Whiz congealed-? Republicans.

profitsbeard on July 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Ketchup bottle not flowing-? Republicans.

profitsbeard on July 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM

This is the bizarro world we live in: the US Secretary of State literally owns the ketchup, and yet flow problems are the Republicans’ fault.

The Schaef on July 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM

And now she ups the crazy with her tampon earrings in “solidarity” with the Texas kill-babies crowd – note, she does this WELL after its point of relevance.

I guess we should thank our stars she is so stupid, since it could have been uglier – the tampons confiscated in Austin were reportedly USED ones.

PJ Emeritus on July 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I nominate Erika for the strongest stomach on Hot Air. I cant get through half the video without retching let alone having the wherewithal to write about it. Thank you for watching so I don’t have to. I do believe I have developed a full-blown allergy to stupidity.

yesiamapirate on July 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

OK, maybe I just don’t speak liberal well enough so someone help me out.

Having a government that is so small you could drown it is a bad thing? Personally I want government to be so small that it’s a part time job and I want elected officials living in fear for their lives if they ever step outside their assigned duties.

NR Pax on July 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM