Video: Obama tries to break it to the left that the DOJ’s not going to prosecute Zimmerman

posted at 4:31 pm on July 19, 2013 by Allahpundit

The line that’s getting attention from this afternoon’s impromptu presser is that Trayvon Martin “could have been me 35 years ago,” but that’s both implausible and tangential to his real message. Why implausible? Because, if you believe Zimmerman’s account of the fight, Martin ambushed him and then pounded on him relentlessly after he’d fallen to the ground. Say what you like about President Spock, it’s hard to imagine him reacting that way to anything. To believe the “I could have been Trayvon” claim, you have to believe the most sinister explanation for what happened between Martin and Zimmerman — that Zimmerman killed him essentially in cold blood for the crime of being black, not in self-defense. No one outside of O’s lefty base seems to believe that anymore, which tells you who the target audience here is.

But never mind that. Talking publicly about race is virtually all downside for The One, which is why he does it only when he’s forced to. (His wildly overpraised speech on race during the 2008 campaign was designed to calm the uproar over Rev. Wright.) It’s a given that the media will mindlessly praise him for his brilliance on the theory that anything the first black president has to say about race must be profound, but he gets no real political benefit from speaking up. He can’t be too critical of black culture or it’ll be considered a betrayal; if he’s too critical of law enforcement or the white majority, he risks damaging his party by alienating white voters that Democrats are desperate to hold onto. His allegedly “brilliant” comments on race are thus really just an exercise in tightrope-walking, with a little dished out to each side. It’s easy to fall off the tightrope — remember “the police acted stupidly”? — so his goal is simply to be as politic as possible without being so politic that the left decides he’s a sellout. No matter what he says, it’ll be “divisive,” a situation no pol ever wants to be in.

The point is, it takes a lot to get him to inch out on the tightrope. What got him out there this time? Simple: He knows that Holder has no case against Zimmerman and that the left’s going to be disappointed when the DOJ investigation is dropped. Today’s presser was him reminding them that he feels their pain in order to brace them for the big letdown. And the letdown is coming:

The judge conducted the trial in a professional manner. The prosecution and the defense made their arguments. The juries (sic) were properly instructed that in a – in a case such as this, reasonable doubt was relevant. And they rendered a verdict.

And once the jury’s spoken, that’s how our system works…

But beyond protests or vigils, the question is: Are there some concrete things that we might be able to do? I know that Eric Holder is reviewing what happened down there, but I think it’s important for people to have some clear expectations here. Traditionally, these are issues of state and local government. The criminal code and law enforcement is traditionally done at the state and local levels, not at the federal levels.

Follow the last link for a full transcript. He talks about the black experience with racial profiling but also acknowledges that “somebody like Trayvon Martin was probably, statistically, more likely to be shot by a peer than he was by somebody else.” He talks about “soul-searching” and training for local cops, but he also says this, which was a pleasant surprise:

You know, there’s been talk about, should we convene a conversation on race? I haven’t seen that be particularly productive when, you know, politicians try to organize conversations. They end up being stilted and politicized, and folks are locked into the positions they already have…

And let me just leave you with – with the final thought that, as difficult and challenging as this whole episode has been for a lot of people, I don’t want us to lose sight that things are getting better. Each successive generation seems to be making progress in changing attitudes when it comes to race. It doesn’t mean we’re in a post-racial society. It doesn’t mean that racism is eliminated.

But, you know, when I talk to Malia and Sasha and I listen to their friends and I see them interact, they’re better than we are. They’re better than we were on these issues. And that’s true in every community that I’ve visited all across the country.

The “national conversation on race” is political garbage and race relations are in fact getting better. He might be the only prominent Democrat in the country willing to concede those two points, but if there can only be one, it’s good that it’s the guy at the top who’s doing it. Speaking of garbage, though:

And for those who – who resist that idea, that we should think about something like these Stand Your Ground laws, I just ask people to consider, if Trayvon Martin was of age and armed, could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened? And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, then it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws.

Could Trayvon have stood his ground if Zimmerman punched him in the face and then started beating his head against the sidewalk? I sure hope so. Would he have been justified in shooting Zimmerman for following him in the car, though? Er, no, and the law doesn’t say that he is. The Florida statute gives you the right to stand your ground and use force if you’ve been “attacked.” Has O even looked at these laws? Or is he distorting them purposely to build momentum for the left’s new political initiative?

Anyway. I didn’t see the clip, but Zimmerman’s brother apparently received Obama’s comments reasonably well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I don’t think Obama quite understands SYG law…no wonder he couldn’t hold on to his lawyer licence…who the heck would want this clueless putz defend them?

jimver on July 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

He grew up in Indonesia, not Hawaii.

Ronnie on July 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Right. I was being sarcastic. Is there a high crime inner city in Honolulu?

At Trayvon’s age he had been living in Hawaii for several years. He did not grow up in a mainland US big city metro area like Miami, much less in a continental US inner city environment.

And if it was that bad during the years he spent growing up in Indonesia, he should be giving this speech in Indonesia to Indonesians, talking about racism in Indonesia and lecturing Indonesian’s about how blacks are treated in Indonesia.

farsighted on July 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

The White House is occupied by a committee of race hustlers led by Obama, Holder, Sharpton, Jackson, Mooch, Valerie et.al.!They are blinded by their communist, muslim, social justice, reparations, redistibution of wealth, theories and blind hatred of whites, Jews, and Hispanics! Obama is a Pigford president destroying the nation to benefit his Low-infos! It’s a disgrace and he should (Will) finally be impeached as he becomes bolder and bolder in his illegal actions!!

Marco on July 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Well, I didn’t follow the trial closely, but do we know for certain that Treyvon didn’t feel threatened by Zimmerman and himself was acting in self defense and that Zimmerman responded by firing his weapon?

Tom_Shipley on July 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Ah, Shipley, you old reprobate! Checking in from your summer villa on the outskirts of Tirana, I see.

To answer your question, during the trial a forensic expert convinced the jury that the shape of the bullet hole in Trayvon’s shirt proved that it was hanging down off of his body when he was shot. The only way that was possible was for Trayvon to be on top with Zimmerman on the bottom.

According to Zimmerman, Martin also told him that he was going to kill him that night. That’s definitely acting in self defense.

Del Dolemonte on July 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

“When I heard the verdict, I kind of understand the disconnect,” Fulton said, according to *NN. “Maybe they (jurors) didn’t see Trayvon as their son. They didn’t see Trayvon as a teenager. They didn’t see Trayvon as just a human being that was minding his own business.”

Typical. Trayvon’s own parents see him as a “that” and not a “who” while they are trying to argue that the jury didn’t disregard the law and common sense because the thug was a “who” (as all thugs are). I guess this is what one would expect from parents whose first act upon hearing of their son’s death is to try and trademark his stupid name. And now they think they have the moral authority (thanks to their vicious, thug offspring) to pervert the judicial system to bend to their will.

I can’t really say what such people make me feel. It is beyond contempt and well passed abhorrence.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

The president say the most honest thing I’ve ever heard him say:
“the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away.”

The sad truth is that for a certain subset of the AA community, any confrontation between an AA and a non-AA must have racism at it’s core. This will never change. This subset is being brought up to believe this, and it is reinforced by all adults they know. And this has been true since the late 60′s early 70′s.

Chitownmom on July 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I agree here. I’m sure racism exists but there are blacks who are making every effort to stir the pot.

And there are very few African-American men who haven’t had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars. That happens to me, at least before I was a senator. There are very few African-Americans who haven’t had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off. That happens often.

As a woman, I do this whenever a man gets on an elevator with me, regardless of his skin color. (I usually get off and take the next car). And if I’m in a bad neighborhood or it’s dark, I will lock the car doors regardless of the skin color of the people in the area. That’s not racism, it’s common sense.

hopeful on July 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Yeah, but the DoJ will keep Zimmerman dangling over the fire for the next year and a half just because they can.

Socratease on July 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

jimver on July 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I can remember when he did not understand auto insurance. I think there are a lot of things he doesn’t understand.

mbs on July 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Tom_Shipley on July 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Yes. I followed the trial closely.

Ronnie on July 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM

He grew up in Indonesia, not Hawaii.

Ronnie on July 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I believe he eventually moved to Hawaii and went to a private high school there.

22044 on July 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM

He moved back to the islands when he was 10, in 1971. Lived with his rich white grandparents.

He went to Punahou School, the richest private prep school out there. Its endowment is comparable to that of the private prep school Romney went to in Michigan, but the fact that Dear Leader went to such a snotty school wasn’t relevant to the Low-IQ Democrat Voter in 2012-only Romney was elite for having gone to such a school, not their cult leader.

Interestingly enough, back in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s Punahou, like all of the other schools out there, practiced a quaint tradition killed “Kill Haole Day”, where white students were singled out for assault solely because of their race. Punahou’s wiki page actually mentioned the school taking part in this racism, but that part of the entry was magically vanished during the summer of 2008. Can’t have the Low-IQ Democrat voters find out that the guy they were voting for grew up a racist, after all!

Del Dolemonte on July 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Today, the tiniest man in America huckstered race instead of speaking about Detroit.

He hates you, fools.

On GZ it’s all just bla, bla, bla…nothin’ we can/will do, fools.

Schadenfreude on July 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I have read reports that many people voted for Obama because they thought that this would finally solve race relations and overcome the deep seated feelings of guilt. My question is, was this decision worth it?

mobydutch on July 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

mbs on July 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM

You should see his SATs and LSATs!

But, bad, pitiful scores that make people laugh don’t matter when Ivy League schools are looking for affirmative action pets. Barky was made an editor of the Lawn Review – THE editor – and his English blows chunks, to put it mildly. He speaks about being “wee wee’d up”, thinks that “on the precipice” carries a positive connotation, can’t figure out the proper usage of the indefinite article and generally doesn’t know jack about much of anything. Precedent of the Lawn Review … LOL.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Tom_Shipley, the eternally devoid ‘intellectual’, is back.

Schadenfreude on July 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Implausible?

Both Martin and Obama were racist, anti-white slackers who preferred to spend their time getting high on MJ than doing something useful.

Both Martin and Obama had disreputable friends.

Both Martin and Obama lacked basic common sense (as Martin demonstrated on that fateful night when he foolishly jumped a stranger at night in a concealed carry state).

AZCoyote on July 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

WAG THE DOG. Obama is trying to bury the IRS, NSA, Syria, Lybia, Egypt, ObamaCare, and other scandals.

lhuffman34 on July 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Obama will make blacks vote Republican

Schadenfreude on July 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM

mobydutch on July 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

That’s not why idiot white guilters voted for Barky. They voted for him to pay the ultimate pennance for being white – to have a black man take America down and burn it to the ground. This had nothing to do with race relations but with delusional reparational revenge that the white guilters wanted visited upon this nation. They did get their wish. America is toast.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM

You know, as a white boy I’ve walked streets in Japan and had pedestrians cross the street to avoid passing by me on the sidewalk.

After I returned from a visit to Munich I’ve heard Turks complain on NPR about how Germans are so prejudiced because they won’t talk to them or look them in the eye, and thought: “They treat *everybody* that way!”

Get over it, people. Everybody gets treated like a stranger at some point. You try to diffuse it when you can, and you shrug it off and move on when you can’t.

Or you can do what Trayvon did, throw a sucker-punch and then ground-pound them. But I already figured out that might be hazardous to my health and certainly doesn’t improve people’s perception of strangers. Too bad Trayvon didn’t.

Socratease on July 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Well, I didn’t follow the trial closely…

Tom_Shipley on July 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

We can tell…

fortcoins on July 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Obama was in the Choomwagon 35 years ago getting stoked. That and he wears mom jeans pretty much negate his “Me as Trayvon” theory.

Philly on July 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM

If Trayvon had been white he’d still be dead from self defense.

Rea1ityCheck on July 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Of course the Zimmerman character in this farce would have had to track President Blowhard down at whichever private school he was ensconsed in at that moment. I would also think that French Literature Appreciation Club would have come to his defense, thus preventing this tragedy.

Hucklebuck on July 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Venting. Please bear with me.

I just was just having a conversation with a friend on Facebook. She was upset about the Prezzy’s remarks today and I said it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. One of her libby “friends” began to berate me with such gems as “Hardly, Jomama.. He’s simply telling the truth.. A grave injustice was born in Florida starting with that entire tainted ‘SYG’ jury rigged Law.”

Arguing with this paragon of intelegence was not an option for me. The sheer idiocy makes my head swim.
I clicked on his profile and his “job” is listed as Obama Biden campaign. (?!?!!)
I suspect his job title is actually “Professional Hot Air Troll.” Sounds about right.

I deleted my original comment, apologized for a threadjack and called him a condescending know it all and came here.

Jomama on July 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Is there a high crime inner city in Honolulu?

I used to be a Honolulu beat cop. There are definitely nasty, nasty parts of the city, but…not when he was living there and definitely not where he was living and attending school. He went to Punahou School. It’s a tossup between Punahou and Iolani as to which is the most exclusive in Hawaii.

Barack no grow up in the type of environment I suspect Trayvon Martin did.

NavyMustang on July 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

AP, the timing, the timing, one day before his poverty pimp brother, Sharpton, will ‘march across America, the racist’.

obama is always the smallest man in the land. He’s had so many opportunities to be a great leader and failed all of them.

Today was another one.

Tomorrow he’ll be golfing, fools who hang on every breath…which he never sends your way, idiots.

He only knows himself and his own glory. Basta. No more, no less.

p.s. maybe one more, the glory of his muzzie brotherhood, but he made a mess of that project too

Schadenfreude on July 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

‘When you think about why, in the African American community at least, there’s a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it’s important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that — that doesn’t go away,’ he said.

Can we apply this to Catholics and those that oppose same sex marraige. He seems to think that those with beliefs, such as pro-life or marriage is between a man and woman etc. need to change their beliefs but not him because he is white/black.

Sven on July 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Meanwhile…the scandals are still present.

Schadenfreude on July 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM

There are some differences and some similarities in the two lives, but I think the point is not that they DID lead the same lives at 17, but that had obama been in trayvon’s shoes, he could have been the same as trayvon. Entirely plausible.

Ronnie on July 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

If Trayvon had been white he’d still be dead from self defense.

Rea1ityCheck on July 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM

If Saint Trayvon’s father had grounded him for getting kicked out of school, he might still be alive today.

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2013 at 6:03 PM

What if, instead of being like Trayvon, Obama had been like Zimmerman 35 years ago? Forming a neighborhood watch, working with police, getting training, helping neighbors, keeping an eye out for criminals. Today he might even be qualified to be President, instead of being a “community organizer” (read: activist lawyer), palling around with terrorists, getting elected by digging up dirt on his opponents, voting “present” in the legislature, and handing out Executive Privileges and Obamacare waivers to all his corrupt friends.

Socratease on July 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I think it’s far more significant that he didn’t warn his peeps not to be violent, instead saying only something to the effect that, if he sees violence, he’ll remind the perpetrators that that doesn’t honor St. Skittles’s memory.

Syzygy on July 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM

And – and that all contributes, I think, to a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario that, from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different.

Without some solid evidence to back this up, isn’t the claim that reversing/flipping/changing skin color of Trayvon would make a significant difference at its core a racist statement?

It asserts, without evidence, Trayvon’s skin color is a significant factor in the outcome, and we are supposed to just accept that.

At what it implies ain’t pretty. At a minimum this is race baiting.

Let’s look at the possibilities. I have to assume in all that George is not dead, because that did not happen.

1) White (or white-hispanic) kid Trayvon, black George — Trayvon not dead.

2) White (or white-hispanic) kid Trayvon, black George — Trayvon dead — George guilty or not.

3) White (or white-hispanic) kid Trayvon, white George — Trayvon not dead.

4) White (or white-hispanic) kid Trayvon, white George — Trayvon dead — George guilty or not.

5) White (or white-hispanic) kid Trayvon, white-hispanic George — Trayvon not dead.

6) White (or white-hispanic) kid Trayvon, white-hispanic George — Trayvon dead — George guilty or not.

Only 2) is basically the same situation with reversed ethnicity, and he is obviously implying it is more likely there would have been a guilty verdict. If he isn’t saying that he is saying nothing.

Analysis of the other possibilities does not come out pretty in comparison to what actually happened, except where Trayvon is dead and George is found not guilty. But he said “both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different”.

If a white President made a statement like this implying a different and worse outcome in a situation where a white “kid” was killed by a black and he was found not guilty, how would that go over?

Comrade O is now officially the Race-Baiter-in-Chief. But we knew that all along.

farsighted on July 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Priceless:

Mark Levin: “Obama has been Lincoln, FDR, Ronald Reagan & now Trayvon Martin…” http://j.mp/114N79q

H/T:Right Scoop ‏@trscoop 2h

petefrt on July 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

When I was in junior high, I remember feeling very left out and alone in the world. It’s a tough life out there. For that very reason, today, I sometimes get mad and break things. ////

mobydutch on July 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

drudge has the barry #hoodsup pix..and making chit chat with sharpy

r keller on July 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Tom_Shipley on July 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Good luck with that one…ooops too late. ES dickhead.

CW on July 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Tom_Shipley on July 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Good luck with that one! Oh wait..too late. ES D-bag.

CW on July 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Our daily speechifyin’ session… Just 3 1/2 more years of your daily SCOAMF folks!

/Yay,

Key West Reader on July 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

It’s good that he spoke, it was time. I’m glad he acknowledged the black on black crime issue too. Lord knows how many kids have died in Chicago since Trayvon was shot. But if he respects the verdict and says it’s a state issue then why’d he let Holder refuse to give GZ his gun back when it’s up to the state to decide?

scalleywag on July 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM

lhuffman34 on July 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

That’s a bonus for keeping the focus on Zimmerman.

But even without those issues Comrade O would almost certainly be handling this the same way. And so would the Dems/libs/lefties, race hustlers, and the MSM. Race, racists, and racism in America is their favorite topic, especially since 2008.

farsighted on July 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I wish he would have called upon Sharpton and Jackson and others to accept the verdict and go home and do something constructive about the black on black violence instead of trying to incite mobs to react. When you think about it, what have they even tried to do to help the situation besides throw down the racist card? They’re part of the problem, not the solution.

scalleywag on July 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM

that Trayvon Martin “could have been me 35 years ago,”

You’re not fooling anyone…You *were* Trayvon Martin 35 years ago.

And to a large extent, You still are, Barry. Because even as the “Ruler of the Free World” …you’re still nothin’ but a whiney little professional victim. Standing in front of the ENTIRE WORLD…pandering to other victims.

What’s it gonna take? What exactly does this guy (or any member of the victim class) need to make them happy?

Always crying about “The Man is out to get them” …even though Obama *IS* “The Man” now. wow. just…wow.

Guess the adage, “You could be President of the United States someday.” …doesn’t really seem too grand of a destination anymore, does it?

a5minmajor on July 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Our Great President is roiling the Racial Strife Pot for two reasons. One is to take the spotlight off Benghazi, IRS scandal, Fast and Furious. Number two is to have so much pent up anger that when he is impeached (which he can see coming) there will be much anger, rioting etc. that he will use it to declare Marshal Law and declare all Republicans conservatives as enemies of the state.

Herb on July 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM

In the first place, Zimmerman was not “following Trayvon” in his car. Trayvon’s erratic and suspicious behavior in the rain that night caught the attention of Zimmerman, who, as a neighborhood watch patrol, would be attentive to such behavior.

Secondly, Zimmerman did not identify the race of Martin until asked by the dispatcher who would in turn alert police to BOLO for the suspect. Even after being asked about Martin’s race, Zimmerman was hesitant in giving a definite response.

Preezy Obysmal yanks out his daughters to give “credibility” to his thoughtful remarks as if they are the determiners of cultural shifts, coddled as they are in the WH/Quaker school cocoon. Good grief, this inclusion of political blah-blah is as bad as Jimmuh Cahtuh invoking Amy’s pontifications on curbing nuclear weapons.

onlineanalyst on July 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Ronnie on July 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Well then, since apparently race is all that matters, using the same reasoning, had I been in the shoes of any 17 year old Caucasian in America, I could have been the same as him. Entirely plausible.

Wait a minute. Was Trayvon half white?

farsighted on July 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Must see Drudge – he nails the tiny one.

Schadenfreude on July 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Stand Your Ground is totally irrelevant to the Trayvon Martin killing. It was not an issue during the trial itself.

Preezy and Holder thought that they had a perfect storm when the race baiters descended on Sanford, whipping Martin’s death into national awareness: they could continue the narrative of “unequal justice” being meted to the different races, and they could attack Second Amendment rights as defined by Florida law.

I would be more impressed if Preezy impressed on our youth that being wannabe thieves, gangbangers, and drug users is no way to go through life if one wants a long and productive life.

onlineanalyst on July 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM

The 35 years comment by obama – does it mean that he hates gays, like Jeantel said?

Schadenfreude on July 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Schadenfreude on July 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

He hates the inconvenient ones I think

burrata on July 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Is he really trying to say that if a white kid was beating George Zimmerman’s head into the concrete that George wouldn’t have shot him? Or was he saying that the logical response for Trayvon to have to someone following him is to try to “beat his white cracka @ss” and if Zimmerman didn’t want to kill him he should have stayed in his vehicle?

I have 4 sons. When they were teens they did have to deal with cops stopping them and asking them what they were doing when they were in unfamiliar neighborhoods. They also on occasion had neighbors call the cops on them when they were playing hide and seek in the cemetery or doing something similar outside in the dark. Not very long ago the youngest’s name came out over the police scanner as a “suspected arsonist”. He and a friend were looking for something one of them had dropped by the light of their cell phones and some little old lady called the cops on them. She thought they were setting fires. This sort of thing happens to young people. My daughters were followed around stores and watched like hawks, not because they were shop lifters but because many teen girls are shoplifters.

All my kids are so white they are practically clear so I can’t blame racism on this treatment. But I have told them if someone asks them what they are doing to be polite and be damn sure you aren’t doing anything wrong. It never occurred to me to tell them not to jump their accusers and try to beat them up lest they get shot. I guess I must have known deep down inside that they could never be harmed because they are white.

Lily on July 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Yeah? Well, when you internalize that instead of using it for scoring points, you let the rest of the county in on it, ok?

Cleombrotus on July 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Obysmal gets his news from filtered sources, and he relies on strawman arguments. Martin was not “attacked,” nor was SYG a factor in the trial.

onlineanalyst on July 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Delusions solve nothing.

Schadenfreude on July 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Well then, since apparently race is all that matters…

farsighted on July 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Racism, not race. Both are/were extremely racist.

Ronnie on July 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM

This President and his Administration are a PLAGUE on this nation!

God help us survive him.

He NEEDS chaos, he WANTS chaos so he can sign an Executive order to end Stand Your Ground laws. Al Sharpton is no doubt working hand in hand with Holder and Valerie Jarrett to get the pictures for the media this weekend.

He is the worst President in American History (and that includes Jackson Polk and Buchannan).

PappyD61 on July 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Obama complained about hearing people lock their car doors when he walked by, yet he thinks George Zimmerman should have stayed in his locked car when he saw trayvon martin. Incredible.

Ronnie on July 19, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM

That was still going on in the 80′s on Guam. We had to keep are children out of school every year we were stationed there on that day.

chemman on July 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Racism, not race. Both are/were extremely racist.

Ronnie on July 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM

That makes sense.

I thought maybe I was missing something.

farsighted on July 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

He hates the inconvenient ones I think

burrata on July 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Wow. That’s very interesting.

Syzygy on July 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM

New Steyn…

The Downfall of Detroit

Resist We Much on July 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM

If Trayvon Martin had stood his ground, he would be alive today. If he had retreated, he would be alive today. If he had broken off the attack when Zimmerman started screaming for help, he would be alive today. If he had broken off the attack when John Good came out and told him he was calling the cops, he would be alive today.

For whatever reason, Trayvon Martin didn’t just stand his ground, or argue, or confront, or overreact, or throw a punch. He attacked with full rage and wouldn’t let up.

There is simply no point in blaming Zimmerman for any of the events that night. All that amounts to is refusing to acknowledge that Trayvon Martin caused his own death.

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM

In light of Obama’s remarks, and those of like minded individuals, I thought this Post Zimmerman Poison Pill should get equal time.

thatsafactjack on July 19, 2013 at 7:42 PM

So if a white 17-year old kid had ambushed Zimmerman, sucker punched him, and was banging his head into the sidewalk, Zimmerman would have said, “I can’t shoot to defend myself, because he’s white, and therefore it’s his right to kill me?”

Or is he saying that if Zimmerman had shot a 17-year old white kid under those circumstances, the court would have said it couldn’t have been self-defense because his attacker was white, and found Zimmerman guilty?

Obama’s comment is an empty platitude. Try to make sense of it, and you realize there’s no way that it actually makes sense.

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Trayvon Martin’s parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, did a series of interviews on Thursday, opening up publicly for the first time since George Zimmerman was acquitted in the death of their son. During an interview on “Anderson Cooper 360”, they both expressed their shock at the verdict, and the justice system, in general.

==========
You would think that these are model parents of the poor misunderstood Trayvon the way that Martin Sr. and Fulton get the microphone so often to express their opinions. Inasmuch as Sybrina Fulton sent her delinquent sonny child off to his daddy because she couldn’t handle Trayvon anymore, would an enterprising interviewer have the courage to pursue that thread of discussion? Or does Sybrina think that all teenagers act the way that her son does?

onlineanalyst on July 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Obama, Race Hustler in Chief. aka The Great Divider.

chewmeister on July 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Ok time to weigh in, I am white and I have been profiled by black men since I was 13. The first black kid I ever met I caught him stealing from my tackle box when I was fishing. I chased him and caught him as his older brother arrived. His brother smacked him around NOT because he stole from me. Oh no he smacked him around because HE GOT CAUGHT! Since then, now many years later, every time I have had something stolen it was a black man was in possession of my stuff. I also get STALKED by the predators when walking thru parking lots. Now where is my justice, my rights to be free from profiling? Hmm think about it.

RAIDER on July 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM

scalleywag on July 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Excellent!

onlineanalyst on July 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM

The press never will and even Fox News ran with the premise in his speech, which was pure mendacious propaganda.

Starlink on July 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM

The PTB in the GOP and on the right did not want to have anything to do with this trial to begin with. It had “racism” cooties all over it. And unlike past race baiting pimp hustles — such as the Duke LaCrosse team fiasco — this one featured a dead black “child”.

If Comrade O gives them a semi-acceptable reason to let the whole thing fade away fast they are more than happy to accommodate him.

I keep reading right-of-center pundits who are still getting basic facts wrong and who are accepting and repeating some of the lies and misinformation the liberal Zimmerman Hate Machine is generating.

farsighted on July 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

“could have been me 35 years ago,”

Say what you will about me, but I can’t help but fantasize about how much better off our country would be right now.

Oxymoron on July 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Trayvon Martin “could have been me 35 years ago”

Ah, whimsey…

Akzed on July 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM

No victim cards for US presidents. Talk about the elite!

Too bad he didn’t grow up female in a progressive city. I had grown men following me from age five. Following on foot and in cars. Following me home, into stores, to school and into public restrooms. I was only called to testify against one of them and the stupid DA gave the monster a plea deal. I was only able to damage two of them. What do you suppose all of these grown men wanted a tiny little girl for, sir? So, yeah, I have so much sympathy for MEN followed around in stores. Happens to me, too, btw. Ooh, security is sooo scary.

Can our next Prez have a pair, please. Enough with the divisive BS. Lying about SYG is neither helpful nor presidential and the rest should be left to the Al Charlatans of the world.

tuffy on July 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM

On the surface it may appear that Obama has sent a message to his “Brothers” and “Sisters” that he will not pursue Federal charges against Zimmerman it’s really no big deal because 1 He has NO CHANCE of success in a Federal case. NONE. and 2 His peroration today left him plenty of wiggle room to STILL pursue a Federal case should Eric Hiolder’s snoops find out that Zimmerman used the N word when he was six years old.

Also the Zimmerman case had NOTHING to do with race or Stand Your Ground (SYG)-both points agreed to by all parties in the case–yet race and SYG were the PRIMARY issues in Obama’s speech and he emphasized Martin’s “victimhood” even though the jury believed that Martin made an unprovoked attack.

It doesn’t matter how eloquent or impassioned a speech is. If it has the flawed structure of Detroit’s devastated houses, the speech is worthless.. It’s time for blacks to realize that America is the fairest, most just and tolerant country they will ever live in. If they “ain’t makin’ it” here” IT’S THEIR FAULT (and white liberals too for not demanding excellence from them.).

MaiDee on July 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Obama, Race Hustler in Chief. aka The Great Divider.

chewmeister on July 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I saw elsewhere around the blogosphere that Obysmal is now being called the Amoeba President.

onlineanalyst on July 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Well, both the Obama child and the Martin child were high at least.

They share that in common.

However the Obama child is a child of privilege.

Obama is getting people killed and injured by his inflammatory talk.

Others he abandoned in Benghazi.

Say, these liberals get a lot of people killed and get off scot free, they?

Darn, they are working mighty hard to turn me into racist.

A real racist.

Gee, thanks Obama!

Sherman1864 on July 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM

If Trayvon had been white he’d still be dead from self defense.

Rea1ityCheck

If Trayvon were white, he most likely never would have attacked Zimmerman in order to prove to his illiterate in three languages girlfriend that he won’t no punk b^tch.

And before some troll tries to show how smart he is, yes, I realize what I wrote above is grammatically incorrect.

xblade on July 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Trayvon Martin “could have been me 35 years ago,”

If only, then the last 4 plus years we might have had a competent president who wasn’t running the country into the ground. Doubtful but possible.

bbinfl on July 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

The President said:

So since the President is biracial, I’m curious, when he steps in to the Presidential Limo and takes his seat, does his white part cause him to reach for the door lock switch out of fear of his black part?

Just asking.

lonestarleeroy on July 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM

lhuffman34 on July 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Yes. All that… and also give his base a big sloppy wet one.

marybel on July 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Obama never says plausible things.

And he pronounces “tangential” with a hard G most likely.

Sherman1864 on July 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Mr. President I’m NOT going to let YOU drive the news cycle….

Lets talk about the real issues facing the black community that you’re doing to help!!!

JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS ………and Unemployment and the complete collapse of the black family!

PappyD61 on July 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM

doing NOTHING to help……

PappyD61 on July 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Oh POOR PITIFUL YOU. I don’t suppose that would have anything to do with the results of decades of self-induced cultural destruction and rampant disregard for even basic civility…no, it must be because we’re all evil racists.

I’ll give a rat’s @$$ about you hearing locks clisk the day the culture that once endured domestic terrorism in order to learn to read and write quits denouncing education as ‘acting white’.

MelonCollie on July 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Oxymoron on July 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

You ain’t kidding. Where’s Albert Einstein and his Chronosphere when you need them…

MelonCollie on July 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Allahpundit is much kinder to Obama in his assessment of the speech than I think warranted. The speech was one long pander to – and justification of – the racial grievance industry. To sum up the speech in a sentence, facts don’t matter because blacks are justified in their anger by a history of racism. It reached its nadir when Obama indicted both our nation and the legal system with the assertion that the “outcome and aftermath” of the Zimmerman / Martin incident would have have been different if Zimmerman black and Martin white.

This was all about keeping the narrative of rampant imaginary white racism alive through the 2014 election. I nearly choked when Obama concluded his remarks by saying “those of us in authority should be doing everything we can to encourage the better angels of our nature as opposed to using these episodes to heighten divisions.” The hypocrisy left me speechless.

Wolf Howling on July 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM