Quotes of the day

posted at 8:41 pm on July 19, 2013 by Allahpundit

President Obama finally got his wish: He went Bulworth. Sure, it was on a Friday, in the late afternoon, in the middle of July, and almost a full seven days after the Trayvon Martin verdict. But it finally happened in a surprise speech on race…

Obama did not go Aaron Sorkin on Friday. This was not a speech meant to finally break the gridlock on Capitol Hill. (He actually said, “we’re not rolling out some five-point plan.”) Instead, Obama talked about some of the realities black men face in America. He did not suggest there was much that could be done about it, only that things were getting better. Obama even dismissed the idea that he should “convene a conversation on race” in the wake of the verdict in the George Zimmerman case, saying, “I haven’t seen that be particularly productive when politicians try to organize conversations.”…

Obama mentioned his white grandmother being afraid of black men on the sidewalk in his last speech about race, in 2008. That speech included much more on whites’ racial fears — that affirmative action is unfair, or that their kids have to be bused to school across town. But this speech was focused on what African-Americans were feeling — that context and history were being ignored in the Zimmerman trial, the biases on display in the proceedings.

***

On May 9, 1970, President Nixon made an impromptu pre-dawn visit to anti-war protestors camped at the Lincoln Memorial. It left many people scratching their heads at the time, and suggested Nixon’s inner turmoil about the war over which he presided.

Today’s 17-minute-long, rambling statement by President Obama on the Zimmerman verdict is just as odd as Nixon’s visit, though of course the trappings of the White House press room make it less obviously so. The president’s comments were clearly unrehearsed, not at all logical, and seemed to be a sort of default to his days as a community organizer.

The backdrop of revolution in Egypt, slaughter in Syria, Snowden in Russia, the Castro brothers shipping missile technology to the Norks, the exploding IRS scandal and a still struggling economy make the detachment of the president from presidential duties even more stark. Cynics will say he just wants to make himself relevant again as his hold over the Beltway diminsihes in an almost visible fashion, but it was much stranger than a mere lurch to be significant.

***

When the president speaks to the African-American community, we often hear some of the same themes about responsibility. Friday’s conversation had a different tone, however: This was about how to bolster and reinforce African-American boys. The fear of many black parents after the verdict was palpable, and it was refreshing to hear the president take a tone of consoler, not scold-in-chief.

This is a profound moment, not only for African-Americans, but for the nation. While the Zimmerman trial has exposed the deep divide between the left and the right, the aftermath has been brutal. Online and on cable news, this past week has felt like a race war with no end in sight — and it has been draining. Hearing the first African-American president clearly affirm our collective pain as African-Americans is a “balm in Gilead” that will help many.

“Along this long, difficult journey,” Obama concluded, “we’re becoming a more perfect union — not a perfect union, but a more perfect union.” There’s still a lot of work to do, Mr. President – but you took a big step in the right direction today.

***

To the extent that his empty words have any meaning whatsoever, they contain three major elements:

1. Things which are true, but so obvious a kindergartener knows them. (We are each shaped by our experiences.)

2. Things which are not obvious, because they are also untrue. (Stand your ground laws give white people the right to shoot black people without cause.)

3. Heroic self-reference. (As did Jesus incarnate God the Father, so I Barack Hussein Obama, in a moment of apotheosis, incarnate the lamb Trayvon Martin.)

What I’m more outraged about is the reflexive need of the left to say all sorts of asinine things, like that Obama’s saying things no president has said before, and, Serious You Guys, we’re really getting into some next-level ish with this latest edict from DOTUS (the Deity of the United States).

***

“Why did it take the Trayvon Martin case for the president to come out and raise some of these very valid issues that it would be constructive for our nation to talk about in a unified fashion,” said Fleischer, a CNN contributor and former White House Press Secretary for President George W. Bush.

“This president, when it comes to racial issues, has really been touch and go,” he added. “He touches on it under moments of pressure or stress and then he lets it go. There’s really no commitment, no ongoing follow up for the president doing anything about urban matters, poverty matters, matters affecting the black community.”

Fleischer, speaking in a phone interview on CNN, was also critical of Obama suggesting during his surprise remarks on the Trayvon Martin trial that poverty and dysfunction can be traced to a difficult history in African American communities.

“I think frankly that’s a terrible excuse for some of the terrible decisions that get made, principally by fathers who walk out on their children’s lives and never come back,” he said. “That’s the biggest cause of poverty in the black community today. It’s not the history of slavery, which is what the president is alluding to in his remarks.”

***

When Fox host Trace Gallagher asked Wallace if he thought Obama’s decision to speak on the matter was “risky,” he responded, “No, I don’t think so at all. I thought that president was trying to put this in context and I think, to a certain degree, he was trying to explain, in a verdict that has been somewhat divisive in this country, why both sides feel the way they do.” Wallace said Obama was simply “trying to say to Americans of all colors and all political persuasions: try to understand and try to learn from what happened here.”

Wallace said he was particularly moved by the section of Obama’s remarks regarding the younger generation, including his two daughters, which is “better than people of our ages were in the sense they’re more color blind, they don’t see whites see black, or blacks see whites as much of a threat.”

Continuing, Wallace commended the president for handling the matter in a “forthright” fashion, much as he did in his 2008 campaign speech on race. “Boy, I sure don’t see how you can read this as in any way stoking racial tensions,” he said. “This is a president who believes in teachable moments, and I think he felt the desire to be on the record and to say what the felt on these issues.”

***

Via the Corner.

***

Via RCP.

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

TGIF!!!!!

KCB on July 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM

^ Figment of your imagination.

FIRST!

Information he might have obtained a few years ago.

Axe on July 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Thanks America

Electrongod on July 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM

NO, I AM FIRST!

Jackalope on July 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Would someone please tell – yell – to President Revenge, that Zimmerman voted for his lyin a$$ -INSTEAD OF THE WHITE GUY – not once, but TWICE !

How is this a race issue dishonest liberal scumbags ?

FlaMurph on July 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Biases? Ohhhh….you mean the judge scolding GZ for not taking the stand, or the prosecution failing to turn over evidence for months, those biases?

Bishop on July 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Good evening there KCB..

Electrongod on July 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Heard Chris Wallace comment on this today right before I had my nap, and I wasn’t sure if I was dreaming already. I see this as such an obvious stoking of the racial flames, CW was saying how it was such an awesomely awesome teachable moment, that nobody could reasonable saw anything but that it was unifying. What a dope. We’re doomed (obviously)

Jackalope on July 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Did the mutt muncher of unknown pedigree speechify about that typical white woman who raised him in the hoods of Hawaii ?

burrata on July 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Hi EG!

KCB on July 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

So Obama said that he had to look over his shoulder when he was Martin’s age…
Was Obama gay back then too?

Electrongod on July 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

So Obama said that he had to look over his shoulder when he was Martin’s age…
Was Obama gay back then too?

Electrongod on July 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Judging by his old pictures, yes.

KCB on July 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I see it more as one last distraction just before the start of the annual season in DC during which all the politicos skip town for the entire month of August. If you’ve lived in the area, you know what I mean.

Christien on July 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM

President Obama could use a few “teachable moments” himself.

Of course Putin et al are providing those but he seems to be a slow learner.

Drained Brain on July 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I’m having some difficulty understanding why I should do some soul searching on a matter over which I have no control. That type of soul searching is nothing more than navel gazing.

Curtiss on July 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM

So Obama said that he had to look over his shoulder when he was Martin’s age…
Was Obama gay back then too?

Electrongod on July 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

He would have looked up….

burrata on July 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Such “context and history” that hurt tender race-baiting feelings have no place in a criminal court proceeding. It’s a matter of actions versus the law.

The only history is what happened.

The only context is how it fits within and under the law.

Liam on July 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Of course Putin et al are providing those but he seems to be a slow learner.

Drained Brain on July 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM

New school!

Liam on July 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Ancient proverb: You cannot dance, so you swear the ground is tilted.

Christien on July 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

********* Hopey/Changeys Presser Speechy Trancsript:

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 19m

WH has posted transcript of Pres. Obama’s remarks today on Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/07/19/remarks-president-trayvon-martin
====================================================

For Immediate Release
July 19, 2013
Remarks by the President on Trayvon Martin

James S. Brady Press Briefing Room

1:33 P.M. EDT
**************

THE PRESIDENT:
**************

I wanted to come out here, first of all, to tell you that Jay is prepared for all your questions and is very much looking forward to the session. The second thing is I want to let you know that over the next couple of weeks, there’s going to obviously be a whole range of issues — immigration, economics, et cetera — we’ll try to arrange a fuller press conference to address your questions.

The reason I actually wanted to come out today is not to take questions, but to speak to an issue that obviously has gotten a lot of attention over the course of the last week — the issue of the Trayvon Martin ruling. I gave a preliminary statement right after the ruling on Sunday. But watching the debate over the course of the last week, I thought it might be useful for me to expand on my thoughts a little bit.

First of all, I want to make sure that, once again, I send my thoughts and prayers, as well as Michelle’s, to the family of Trayvon Martin, and to remark on the incredible grace and dignity with which they’ve dealt with the entire situation. I can only imagine what they’re going through, and it’s remarkable how they’ve handled it.

The second thing I want to say is to reiterate what I said on Sunday, which is there’s going to be a lot of arguments about the legal issues in the case — I’ll let all the legal analysts and talking heads address those issues. The judge conducted the trial in a professional manner. The prosecution and the defense made their arguments. The juries were properly instructed that in a case such as this reasonable doubt was relevant, and they rendered a verdict. And once the jury has spoken, that’s how our system works. But I did want to just talk a little bit about context and how people have responded to it and how people are feeling.

You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot I said that this could have been my son. Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago. And when you think about why, in the African American community at least, there’s a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it’s important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away.

There are very few African American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store. That includes me. There are very few African American men who haven’t had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars. That happens to me — at least before I was a senator. There are very few African Americans who haven’t had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off. That happens often.

And I don’t want to exaggerate this, but those sets of experiences inform how the African American community interprets what happened one night in Florida. And it’s inescapable for people to bring those experiences to bear. The African American community is also knowledgeable that there is a history of racial disparities in the application of our criminal laws — everything from the death penalty to enforcement of our drug laws. And that ends up having an impact in terms of how people interpret the case.

Now, this isn’t to say that the African American community is naïve about the fact that African American young men are disproportionately involved in the criminal justice system; that they’re disproportionately both victims and perpetrators of violence. It’s not to make excuses for that fact — although black folks do interpret the reasons for that in a historical context. They understand that some of the violence that takes place in poor black neighborhoods around the country is born out of a very violent past in this country, and that the poverty and dysfunction that we see in those communities can be traced to a very difficult history.

And so the fact that sometimes that’s unacknowledged adds to the frustration. And the fact that a lot of African American boys are painted with a broad brush and the excuse is given, well, there are these statistics out there that show that African American boys are more violent — using that as an excuse to then see sons treated differently causes pain.

I think the African American community is also not naïve in understanding that, statistically, somebody like Trayvon Martin was statistically more likely to be shot by a peer than he was by somebody else. So folks understand the challenges that exist for African American boys. But they get frustrated, I think, if they feel that there’s no context for it and that context is being denied. And that all contributes I think to a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario, that, from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different.

Now, the question for me at least, and I think for a lot of folks, is where do we take this? How do we learn some lessons from this and move in a positive direction? I think it’s understandable that there have been demonstrations and vigils and protests, and some of that stuff is just going to have to work its way through, as long as it remains nonviolent. If I see any violence, then I will remind folks that that dishonors what happened to Trayvon Martin and his family. But beyond protests or vigils, the question is, are there some concrete things that we might be able to do.

I know that Eric Holder is reviewing what happened down there, but I think it’s important for people to have some clear expectations here. Traditionally, these are issues of state and local government, the criminal code. And law enforcement is traditionally done at the state and local levels, not at the federal levels.

That doesn’t mean, though, that as a nation we can’t do some things that I think would be productive. So let me just give a couple of specifics that I’m still bouncing around with my staff, so we’re not rolling out some five-point plan, but some areas where I think all of us could potentially focus.

Number one, precisely because law enforcement is often determined at the state and local level, I think it would be productive for the Justice Department, governors, mayors to work with law enforcement about training at the state and local levels in order to reduce the kind of mistrust in the system that sometimes currently exists.

When I was in Illinois, I passed racial profiling legislation, and it actually did just two simple things. One, it collected data on traffic stops and the race of the person who was stopped. But the other thing was it resourced us training police departments across the state on how to think about potential racial bias and ways to further professionalize what they were doing.

And initially, the police departments across the state were resistant, but actually they came to recognize that if it was done in a fair, straightforward way that it would allow them to do their jobs better and communities would have more confidence in them and, in turn, be more helpful in applying the law. And obviously, law enforcement has got a very tough job.

So that’s one area where I think there are a lot of resources and best practices that could be brought to bear if state and local governments are receptive. And I think a lot of them would be. And let’s figure out are there ways for us to push out that kind of training.

Along the same lines, I think it would be useful for us to examine some state and local laws to see if it — if they are designed in such a way that they may encourage the kinds of altercations and confrontations and tragedies that we saw in the Florida case, rather than diffuse potential altercations.

I know that there’s been commentary about the fact that the “stand your ground” laws in Florida were not used as a defense in the case. On the other hand, if we’re sending a message as a society in our communities that someone who is armed potentially has the right to use those firearms even if there’s a way for them to exit from a situation, is that really going to be contributing to the kind of peace and security and order that we’d like to see?

And for those who resist that idea that we should think about something like these “stand your ground” laws, I’d just ask people to consider, if Trayvon Martin was of age and armed, could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman who had followed him in a car because he felt threatened? And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, then it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws.

Number three — and this is a long-term project — we need to spend some time in thinking about how do we bolster and reinforce our African American boys. And this is something that Michelle and I talk a lot about. There are a lot of kids out there who need help who are getting a lot of negative reinforcement. And is there more that we can do to give them the sense that their country cares about them and values them and is willing to invest in them?

I’m not naïve about the prospects of some grand, new federal program. I’m not sure that that’s what we’re talking about here. But I do recognize that as President, I’ve got some convening power, and there are a lot of good programs that are being done across the country on this front. And for us to be able to gather together business leaders and local elected officials and clergy and celebrities and athletes, and figure out how are we doing a better job helping young African American men feel that they’re a full part of this society and that they’ve got pathways and avenues to succeed — I think that would be a pretty good outcome from what was obviously a tragic situation. And we’re going to spend some time working on that and thinking about that.

And then, finally, I think it’s going to be important for all of us to do some soul-searching. There has been talk about should we convene a conversation on race. I haven’t seen that be particularly productive when politicians try to organize conversations. They end up being stilted and politicized, and folks are locked into the positions they already have. On the other hand, in families and churches and workplaces, there’s the possibility that people are a little bit more honest, and at least you ask yourself your own questions about, am I wringing as much bias out of myself as I can? Am I judging people as much as I can, based on not the color of their skin, but the content of their character? That would, I think, be an appropriate exercise in the wake of this tragedy.

And let me just leave you with a final thought that, as difficult and challenging as this whole episode has been for a lot of people, I don’t want us to lose sight that things are getting better. Each successive generation seems to be making progress in changing attitudes when it comes to race. It doesn’t mean we’re in a post-racial society. It doesn’t mean that racism is eliminated. But when I talk to Malia and Sasha, and I listen to their friends and I seem them interact, they’re better than we are — they’re better than we were — on these issues. And that’s true in every community that I’ve visited all across the country.

And so we have to be vigilant and we have to work on these issues. And those of us in authority should be doing everything we can to encourage the better angels of our nature, as opposed to using these episodes to heighten divisions. But we should also have confidence that kids these days, I think, have more sense than we did back then, and certainly more than our parents did or our grandparents did; and that along this long, difficult journey, we’re becoming a more perfect union — not a perfect union, but a more perfect union.

Thank you, guys.

END

1:52 P.M. EDT

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Stoking the flames that fuel the racial fire…

What a putz…

On another note:
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen!!

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM

It’s been 60 years since Civil Rights legislation was passed. The KKK no longer parades in Washington DC. Jim Crow laws are long gone.

So how much longer do we have to make allowances for the past? 10 years? 20 years? 100 years?

Where was the condemnation of the race-baiters?

Holder will “investigate” Zimmerman until January 2017.

GarandFan on July 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM

So Obama said that he had to look over his shoulder when he was Martin’s age…
Was Obama gay back then too?

Electrongod on July 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

He would have looked up….

burrata on July 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM

…up, up to Frank Marshall Davis.

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM

2009
****

The Police Acted Stupidly!

2013
****

The Courts/Jurors Acted Stupidly!

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Gonna Lurk… :)

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Watching Hannity…

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen!!

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Scrumpy:Evening Scrump,

as my GrandFather would say,

go out to the cord shed,and find me some dry ones!!:)

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Anything to distract from the fact that everything he did in his first term is collapsing around him….anything at all.

29Victor on July 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM

So trayvon had the right to bash Zimmerman’s head and kill him and Zimmerman had no right to save his own life because of ….. slavery ?
And now black mobs are justified in burning down stores and cars and smashing people’s faces with hammers because of …..slavery ?
Is that the historical context which has been ignored ?

burrata on July 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Watching Hannity…

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM

This should be a verb-free night. You should say, “Hannity on.”

I, however, have on a dumb horror flick on Chiller Channel. So, “Chiller Channel on. Dumb flick.”

Liam on July 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Alright, I’m reporting everyone to Judge Aquilina that you are dishonoring the President.

RickB on July 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Screw Chris Wallace. This president is so consistently wrong or tone deaf that the only time ANYONE that isn’t a member of his party should be saying a single good word about him, it should be in blatant “Even a blind squirrel finds a nut” terms.

This speech sucked. It DID, in fact, fan the flames of racial unrest by virtue of trying to raise doubts or misconceptions about the case and wondering rhetorically if the roles were reversed, would it have been the same. Whatever, douche.

I’m so tired of every word out of this amateur’s mouth. But even more tired of the retards in the media that lap it up like it’s spun gold.

deadrody on July 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM

…up, up to Frank Marshall Davis.

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM

He had no choice …. FMD did have his momma’s glamshot pics :O

burrata on July 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Lol. I got some kindling for you ;)

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

The only history is what happened.

The only context is how it fits within and under the law.

Liam on July 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM

But in Obama’s world, the law, like the Constitution, is flawed. Especially when it doesn’t yield the results that he wants and it doesn’t fit his narrative for a new America under Obama.

Curtiss on July 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I wonder how many people have offered to donate a gun to Zimmerman?

wolly4321 on July 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM

In his speech, Obama seemed to place the blame of Zimmerman and consider Martin an innocent victim of both circumstance and being a member of a picked-upon race.Actually Martin strikes me as an equal opportunity mugger. Black, white, Asian, Aleut, Hispanic, Eskimo, Arabic, male, female–it makes little difference if you’ve got money or jewelry that can be converted into money to buy drugs. Without his Secret Service protection, walking in Martin’s neighborhood late at night, Obama would be as subject to assault as anyone else, and, yes, if Obama blew Martin away with an automatic, defending himself, I would support his actions.

MaiDee on July 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM

burrata on July 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Exactly, white people MUST be made to feel the guilt til time ends.

It’s all about slavery and nothing more…

The racist race hustlers are having a field day with this…

( )o( ) IS the racial divider…

Expect trouble peeps…

I ain’t over, we have to be made to feel what they supposedly feel.

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM

RickB on July 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Judge Aquilina has dishonored herself.

listens2glenn on July 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Sooooooooooo, I ponder,an early QOTD,Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………..

AP,probably has his Kitteh’s on a tread-mill producing
power!

Kidding AP:)

Power companies report 35,000 without activities after severe storms hit New York and Vermont – @stormchaser4850

1 min ago by editor
======================

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Curtiss on July 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Jesus walked on water.

When Obama walks on air, I’ll take him seriously. Until then, every time he talks, I get angry and become very cursive.

Liam on July 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Ok I searched my soul and found that I still don’t give a shiite about all the race pimps and their caterwauling.

Tray Tray was a punk-azs who bit off more than he could chew. Did he deserve to die, probably not, but nature has a way of cutting loose the chaff from time to time and Trayvo got himself cut loose.

Same thing is happening now in California as the human trash urbanites decide to go savage, if one of them were to get blown out of their socks by a homeowner’s 12 gauge, I wouldn’t cry a single tear.

Bishop on July 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

First, you have Jessie Jackson mewling about Florida being an apartheid state while Mandela is gravely ill, then you have America’s first black Caucasian president trying to prove his authentic black cred.

Smack.Of.Effort.We.Much!

Christien on July 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Liam on July 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Shall best… :)

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Send in the waaaaaaaaaaaambulance!!

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Do they know something we don’t… or are they just being hopeful news hounds?

H/T: AoS HQ

(Me… I think they’re just trying to stir the pot.)

CPT. Charles on July 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM

….

Bishop on July 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

But the NSA has done their own search of your soul….

Electrongod on July 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Next: Thought Cops!

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM

So, can the victims of bash mobs sue Obama directly since he is the community organizer?

faraway on July 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM

“could have been me 35 years ago,”

Say what you will about me, but I can’t help but fantasize about how much better off our country would be right now.

Oxymoron on July 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Nearly my reaction when I heard those words. Imagine.

I’ll bet Moochelle wishes she was married to Trayvon Martin Luther King, Jr. instead of Obozo.

freedomfirst on July 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM

What are gingers supposed to do while the rest of us are searching our souls?

Christien on July 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Did he deserve to die, probably not

Bishop on July 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Trayvon: “you’re going to die tonight”

faraway on July 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM

….Bishop!

KOOLAID2 on July 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Race was determined by FBI investigation to be not a factor is the Zimmerman trial. (Neither was Stand Your Ground).

It’s a manufactured issue. A rewrite of history. Another Obama lie.

petefrt on July 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I used to be apprehensive about an Obama presidency. I find it quite refreshing that he is way more delightful than even I ever thought possible.

arnold ziffel on July 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Lol. I got some kindling for you ;)

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Scrumpy:

Lol,hey my Anti-Tree-Hugging Canadian Beavers
give you Two thumbs up,er,Up-Twinkle Paws!:)

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM

very violent past in this country,

and that’s the core of the critique.

Barry just loves to diss this county…and that goes all the way back to his mother. the typical leftist person.

an intelligent person can reflect on the endless human tragedies that have roared through the 20th century…and of course, before that too..Thou Shall Not Kill was required after all…it is not a natural condition of Man

but the larger issue is that barry is a small thinker…and, worse..much worse, this county has devolved into a Cult of Personality. Everything is about Barry…barry’s mother, how barry feels about Zimmerman, oh, and barry is going to hang out with jay z and his wife…soooooooo coooooool.

cults of personality don’t work out too well.

r keller on July 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Crap,my Grandson is up chucking,with a tad of a fever,he needs his gramps,

Everyone have a Great Night,

from Upper North in the Boonys,

Nite All——————-:)

Oh,sorry for the TMI Chitty-Chatty!:)

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Bishop on July 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Given the circumstances present at his death, how could it be that he didn’t deserve to die?

Once you credibly threaten someone else’s life, as Trayvon did, you’ve earned yourself the death penalty, as far as I am concerned…

Anti-Control on July 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Trayvon: “you’re going to die tonight”

faraway on July 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Gah! I forgot about that. Then he deserved what he got.

Bishop on July 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

What are gingers supposed to do while the rest of us are searching our souls?

Christien on July 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Nothing, everyone knows that they are evil, evil people without souls.

RickB on July 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Ari, Ari, Ari. Why so stupid?

You can’t fall into the racism trap. It’s the Left’s game.

Go on offense.

Use their game against them. Why are they trying to lynch Hispanics?

faraway on July 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM

New Steyn…

The Downfall of Detroit

Resist We Much on July 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Nite All——————-:)

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Take care..
Up there…

Electrongod on July 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I just deleted a comment where I enumerated the crimes committed against me by blacks in my life, enumerated the crimes committed against me by whites, compared the numbers, and offered a suggestion about who exactly should be soul searching at the moment, and exactly where “profiling” might be coming from.

*sip*

Just mentioning because it was a lot of work. I deleted it because I don’t want to argue about it.

Axe on July 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Gah! I forgot about that. Then he deserved what he got.

Bishop on July 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

^5! :)

Anti-Control on July 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Oh joy a lecture from Obama.

I don’t care about one thing he has to say.

gophergirl on July 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM

….Bishop!

KOOLAID2 on July 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM

pfffft — get real. I was first.

Axe on July 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM

canopfor on July 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Good Night!! Hope grandson gets well soon…

God Bless :)

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM

New Steyn…

The Downfall of Detroit

Resist We Much on July 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Must be reading PHUP. :)

Axe on July 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM

So Obama said that he had to look over his shoulder when he was Martin’s age…
Was Obama gay back then too?

Electrongod on July 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

They’re born that way, don’tcha know.

It’s a womb to tomb sorta thang.

Solaratov on July 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Axe on July 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I have found myself doing the very same thing… :(

Sad to think I would need to do that, instead of accepting there are simply ignorant stuupid idjits out there whose only thought is to cause trouble and make the white persons feel guilty, or beg for your life…

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM

FYI, Mr.President: If ever I am driving my unlocked car, and if I see you up close, you will definitely hear my car doors lock. You scare me!

mobydutch on July 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Trayvon: “you’re going to die tonight”

faraway on July 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Gah! I forgot about that. Then he deserved what he got.

Bishop on July 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

No. It was more like this:

Trayvon to George: “You’re going to die tonight, you mother f***er!”

Tells me St Trayvon was gonna keep going until George stopped screaming and was dead. Trayvon’s efforts were rewarded with a bullet that stopped him short of that quickly.

gracie on July 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM

There is not much else that can be done for the blacks in this country.The country has jumped thru hoops for decades and all whites are still called racist.Nothing has changed.

docflash on July 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Obama is trying out his rule 10 with today’s speech.

ALINSKY RULE 10: “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.” Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog. (Unions used this tactic. Peaceful [albeit loud] demonstrations during the heyday of unions in the early to mid-20th Century incurred management’s wrath, often in the form of violence that eventually brought public sympathy to their side.)

He’s trying to dog whistle people on both sides into reacting.

The mobs will continue to rape, steal, attack, and kill. These will go unreported and not commented on.

One incident of a non-black committing these same acts will be on all front pages for weeks on end.

Ignore Obama.

faraway on July 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM

The black folk on Hannity have their own narrative they have to push, facts don’t mean a thing to them.

They (some black people) are totally dishonest, just lying and twisting and playing their pretzel logic, with the exception of a few guest speakers…

I hate where O and his admin and the race baiters are leading this country, esp the black people, by their noses and they can’t see it.

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Evening and all that carp.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Some white folk are just as dumb…

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Why that could have been you, Mr. President if…

- You didn’t grow up in Hawaii,

- And overseas,

- Have a black mother and father,

- No white grandmother to take care of you,

- And be poor, not upper-middle class to upper-class,

- Get your way smoothed over for you by your mentor,

… yes, Mr. President you can SO identify with St. Martin of the Hoodie.

What an asshat.

ajacksonian on July 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Good evening alt!! :)

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

massive rant from stranahan via Twitch

lots of this stuff:

Lee Stranahan @Stranahan
This happens time and time again. Conservatives don’t show up. Not even one. They send excuses and then scratch their heads when they lose.

he is pissed

r keller on July 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Braking news!!!!!

The Royal baby will be named…
Trayvon……

Electrongod on July 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM

The mottoes of my department should be, ‘reading is fundamental’, and ‘math is hard’. I work with idiots. *sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM

OmahaConservative on July 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Bishop on July 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

You are a better person that I. It’s to the point now where all they elicit is an eye roll or yawn. It’s all part of the background noise now.

I don’t even have a shiite to give anymore. I loathe them all and hope for the day where they STFU.

kim roy on July 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Now if only President Obama had actually lived a life without privilege, getting schooled overseas and in Little Red Schoolhouses chosen by his white grandmother, without an upper-middle class to upper-class background, in Hawaii…. yes indeedy he can so feel what its like to be St. Martin of the Hoodie.

What a maroon.

ajacksonian on July 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Nothing, everyone knows that they are evil, evil people without souls.

RickB on July 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

So true. “Get off of me, you Irish bastid!” Music to my ears.

arnold ziffel on July 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM

AA’s numbers are dwindling through their own hands and they are falling far far behind other minorities employment and income – wise. I think they have peaked and their time has passed. They must know it. That’s why all the race-whining so we pay attention to them. We throw a few more entitlements their way…
Detroit is just the beginning. I wonder how long it will take Philadelphia.

gracie on July 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM

So President Choom admits that if someone had followed him 35 years ago, he would have attacked that person, broken his nose, knocked him to the ground, and beaten him senseless?

Muppet News Flash (C)

RoadRunner on July 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Scrumpy on July 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I’ve had to hold scholars that I respect up and take a moment to keep my mind right. :) A hand full of preachers. Remind myself that people are all created in the image of God, though they walk away from it. Remind myself of all the kindness other black people have shown me. This after each pretty profound unkindness.

– But anyway, if racism isn’t dying the way some people would like it to, then maybe some people need to start pointing the finger at the real problem. There are cultural issues to deal with. Then the “profiling” would go away.

Axe on July 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Were you held in moderation purgatory this time?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I thought you liked that place.

cozmo on July 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM

@Scrumpy

Chiller Channel flick retarded, sir.

*sigh*

Liam on July 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM

cozmo on July 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM

My comments have gone right up.
As for work-there are people that can’t handle basic tasks.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Yes…a ‘teachable moment’. Number 1

If you have a cellphone in your possession, and you think someone may be following you, stay in lighted areas and call the police…or at least a reliable relative who lives nearby… and let them know that you think there may be a problem.

Teachable moment Number 2

If you’re president of a great nation, and you’ve already made a fool of yourselves by saying outright that you “Don’t have all of the fact” and then you opened your mouth anyway to say that ‘the police acted stupidly’ because they arrested your unruly, belligerent, and arrogant friend for refusing to show them identification when asked after someone reported that a person was breaking into his home…and you had to climb down from that position later… you may want to think of that experience before ASSUMING that a person whom the NYTIMES and other media outlets had pegged as ‘ the white neighborhood watch captain’ based entirely upon his name, rather than bothering to find out the real circumstances of the case (again.. .”the facts”)and say that ‘ If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon” the young black man who was shot in an altercation with that same neighborhood watch captain. You may not wish to compound your error and embarrass yourself further by then insisting that “Trayvon might have been me, 35 years ago.”

The reason I mention this second ‘teachable moment’ is because Obama has now, in his desire to ‘connect’ with the feelings he believes that the black community has regarding this issue, has managed to invite a direct comparison of his own upbringing, his prep school Hawaiian privileged upbringing, with that of Trayvon Martin, as well as the comparison of their attitudes toward society in general, race in particular, and scholastic records. Obama has equated himself, at 17 years old, with Trayvon Martin, at 17 years old. It begs the question: did Obama mean to say that he was also a young man who was enamored of the gangsta culture, filled with bile, given to racist commentary, and inclined to violence?

thatsafactjack on July 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM

OmahaConservative on July 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I’m waiting most patiently for it come through. Tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful. Considering it’s a national holiday (the day I graced the earth with my presence LOL) it should be a great weather day.

gophergirl on July 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM

My Mom fell for the trayvon innocent wittle black kid crap. Yahoo news.

Took me two days to make her wake the eff up.

Sending her RWM’s links helped a lot.

wolly4321 on July 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM