Quotes of the day

posted at 8:41 pm on July 19, 2013 by Allahpundit

President Obama finally got his wish: He went Bulworth. Sure, it was on a Friday, in the late afternoon, in the middle of July, and almost a full seven days after the Trayvon Martin verdict. But it finally happened in a surprise speech on race…

Obama did not go Aaron Sorkin on Friday. This was not a speech meant to finally break the gridlock on Capitol Hill. (He actually said, “we’re not rolling out some five-point plan.”) Instead, Obama talked about some of the realities black men face in America. He did not suggest there was much that could be done about it, only that things were getting better. Obama even dismissed the idea that he should “convene a conversation on race” in the wake of the verdict in the George Zimmerman case, saying, “I haven’t seen that be particularly productive when politicians try to organize conversations.”…

Obama mentioned his white grandmother being afraid of black men on the sidewalk in his last speech about race, in 2008. That speech included much more on whites’ racial fears — that affirmative action is unfair, or that their kids have to be bused to school across town. But this speech was focused on what African-Americans were feeling — that context and history were being ignored in the Zimmerman trial, the biases on display in the proceedings.

***

On May 9, 1970, President Nixon made an impromptu pre-dawn visit to anti-war protestors camped at the Lincoln Memorial. It left many people scratching their heads at the time, and suggested Nixon’s inner turmoil about the war over which he presided.

Today’s 17-minute-long, rambling statement by President Obama on the Zimmerman verdict is just as odd as Nixon’s visit, though of course the trappings of the White House press room make it less obviously so. The president’s comments were clearly unrehearsed, not at all logical, and seemed to be a sort of default to his days as a community organizer.

The backdrop of revolution in Egypt, slaughter in Syria, Snowden in Russia, the Castro brothers shipping missile technology to the Norks, the exploding IRS scandal and a still struggling economy make the detachment of the president from presidential duties even more stark. Cynics will say he just wants to make himself relevant again as his hold over the Beltway diminsihes in an almost visible fashion, but it was much stranger than a mere lurch to be significant.

***

When the president speaks to the African-American community, we often hear some of the same themes about responsibility. Friday’s conversation had a different tone, however: This was about how to bolster and reinforce African-American boys. The fear of many black parents after the verdict was palpable, and it was refreshing to hear the president take a tone of consoler, not scold-in-chief.

This is a profound moment, not only for African-Americans, but for the nation. While the Zimmerman trial has exposed the deep divide between the left and the right, the aftermath has been brutal. Online and on cable news, this past week has felt like a race war with no end in sight — and it has been draining. Hearing the first African-American president clearly affirm our collective pain as African-Americans is a “balm in Gilead” that will help many.

“Along this long, difficult journey,” Obama concluded, “we’re becoming a more perfect union — not a perfect union, but a more perfect union.” There’s still a lot of work to do, Mr. President – but you took a big step in the right direction today.

***

To the extent that his empty words have any meaning whatsoever, they contain three major elements:

1. Things which are true, but so obvious a kindergartener knows them. (We are each shaped by our experiences.)

2. Things which are not obvious, because they are also untrue. (Stand your ground laws give white people the right to shoot black people without cause.)

3. Heroic self-reference. (As did Jesus incarnate God the Father, so I Barack Hussein Obama, in a moment of apotheosis, incarnate the lamb Trayvon Martin.)

What I’m more outraged about is the reflexive need of the left to say all sorts of asinine things, like that Obama’s saying things no president has said before, and, Serious You Guys, we’re really getting into some next-level ish with this latest edict from DOTUS (the Deity of the United States).

***

“Why did it take the Trayvon Martin case for the president to come out and raise some of these very valid issues that it would be constructive for our nation to talk about in a unified fashion,” said Fleischer, a CNN contributor and former White House Press Secretary for President George W. Bush.

“This president, when it comes to racial issues, has really been touch and go,” he added. “He touches on it under moments of pressure or stress and then he lets it go. There’s really no commitment, no ongoing follow up for the president doing anything about urban matters, poverty matters, matters affecting the black community.”

Fleischer, speaking in a phone interview on CNN, was also critical of Obama suggesting during his surprise remarks on the Trayvon Martin trial that poverty and dysfunction can be traced to a difficult history in African American communities.

“I think frankly that’s a terrible excuse for some of the terrible decisions that get made, principally by fathers who walk out on their children’s lives and never come back,” he said. “That’s the biggest cause of poverty in the black community today. It’s not the history of slavery, which is what the president is alluding to in his remarks.”

***

When Fox host Trace Gallagher asked Wallace if he thought Obama’s decision to speak on the matter was “risky,” he responded, “No, I don’t think so at all. I thought that president was trying to put this in context and I think, to a certain degree, he was trying to explain, in a verdict that has been somewhat divisive in this country, why both sides feel the way they do.” Wallace said Obama was simply “trying to say to Americans of all colors and all political persuasions: try to understand and try to learn from what happened here.”

Wallace said he was particularly moved by the section of Obama’s remarks regarding the younger generation, including his two daughters, which is “better than people of our ages were in the sense they’re more color blind, they don’t see whites see black, or blacks see whites as much of a threat.”

Continuing, Wallace commended the president for handling the matter in a “forthright” fashion, much as he did in his 2008 campaign speech on race. “Boy, I sure don’t see how you can read this as in any way stoking racial tensions,” he said. “This is a president who believes in teachable moments, and I think he felt the desire to be on the record and to say what the felt on these issues.”

***

Via the Corner.

***

Via RCP.

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Hey Axe seems like it’s lonely here, I just popped in to take a look around, here is one for the road if your interested….

MontanaMmmm on July 20, 2013 at 3:06 AM

MontanaMmmm on July 20, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Axe on July 20, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Yeah, I remember when I was young and was followed through department stores like a criminal. That was me. I remember when I was young and women just thought I wanted them for their bodies. That was me. I remember when women on elevators would clutch their purses and hold their breaths. Yeah, that was me. And I’m a white boy.

John the Libertarian on July 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Foreigner – “Dirty White Boy”

Anti-Control on July 20, 2013 at 4:21 AM

I imagine that someone somewhere saw Barry on TV, got on the phone to one of his handlers and said, “Dammit, how many times have I told you that he is NOT to make impromptu speeches. He cannot speak without his teleprompter and no speeches not approved by us. Well, I’m flying in from London next week to take care of this. Yes, heads may roll…”

—————-

Most black Americans know all this race-baiting, Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson jive is total BS. Even in the worst race riots, 90+% of black folks were at home watching it on TV like the white folks were.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 20, 2013 at 5:49 AM

This demagogue president of ours does nothing but incite racial hatred, and a lot of innocent people have already been hurt in the past week because he and his peers insist on fanning the racial flames. Where will end? Anyone with a whit of perception should know that we are being directed towards a violent outcome. And the blame lays squarely at the feet of our so-called civil rights leaders.

zoyclem on July 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM

15 years ago, this fool would have been impeached.

TX-96 on July 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Isn’t today the day Sharpton plans his 100 city ‘march’ or something?

Here’s a thought for the Left to consider…

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Good Morning, Patriots!

There is no short cut to achievement. Life requires thorough preparation – veneer isn’t worth anything.

- George Washington Carver
“President Victimhood” My take.

kingsjester on July 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM

kingsjester on July 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Happy Saturday, Brother in Christ.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM

And to you, as well.

kingsjester on July 20, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I don’t know about you, KJ, but I’m tired of all this trash from the Left — all this pot-stirring.

Left to our own devices, people get along just fine no matter skin tone or what-have-you.

I’d like seeing how much money Sharpton has raked in over the Zimmerman case. I bet the figure is staggering. I bet Father Divine (another hustler from Harlem in the 1930s) would be jealous.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Country singer Toby Keith has a popular song out there right now that sums up just how Obama views the subject of everything going on out there right now, including what he had to say about Trayvon Martin:

I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Wanna talk about number one
Oh my me my
What I think
What I like
What I know
What I want
What I see
I like talking about you, you, you, you usually
But occasionally
I wanna talk about me (me, me, me, me)
I wanna talk about me (me, me)

pilamaye on July 20, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Oh, I’m sure that the Justice Brothers are making out like bandits over this.

Obama should have tried to bring the nation together yesterday, instead of racially dividing us further. I guess he just couldn’t help himself.

He’s still just a Community Urganizer. Not an American President.

kingsjester on July 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

pilamaye on July 20, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Good call.
(you racist /)
+100

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM

kingsjester on July 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Liberals are too busy being liberals which, to me, explains a lot of our troubles.

I mean, does anyone think our trolls are really what they claim — to be about the downtrodden?

They’re about their liberalism, and nothing more.

Maybe that’s God’s punishment: A people so willing to murder babies deserves a corrupt government that kills its own in other various ways (heart, spirit, etc).

As my son sometimes says, “No good can come from this.”

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM

“President Victimhood” My take.

kingsjester on July 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM

…I like YOUR take…better than the hoodies take…listening to him…was almost as idiotic as hearing Bobby Rush (the hoodie congressretard from Illinois) being interviewed the other day!

KOOLAID2 on July 20, 2013 at 7:22 AM

KOOLAID2 on July 20, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Show outs, all of them.

“We Trayvon.” (speaking Jeantelean)

End of ‘interview’.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM

KOOLAID2 on July 20, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Thank you!

kingsjester on July 20, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Okay, now I’ve seen the max in the Zimmerman case.

Yahoo! has up a ‘tragic’ headline about racism in Peru.

Guess whose lineage is Peruvian?

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Guess whose lineage is Peruvian?

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM

…ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!…black Hispanics?

KOOLAID2 on July 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM

…ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!…black Hispanics?

KOOLAID2 on July 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM

The story is a sideways peripheral dig. In the meantime, the media ignore the tale of a Norwegian woman who was raped in Dubai, and got 16 months in prison. Her rapist got 13 months.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 7:50 AM

that context and history were being ignored in the Zimmerman trial

The left wants verdicts based on their ideological notion of “social justice” aka reparations and redistributive justice, the law notwithstanding. A preposterous position.

a default to his days as a community organizer

You have to wonder how far Obama is willing to push this country in order to have his way with it. Riots?

Detachment is one way to describe it. Alinsky-esque is another.

………………………..

As for the quality of Obama’s rhetoric, Ace nails it when he notes that he speaks in mush and baby talk:

Ace:
On Twitter, I challenged Buzz Feed’s Ben Smith, who had claimed Obama always spoke “incredibly” about race, to apprise me as to what specific insights and memorable sentences he recalls from any Obama utterance, whether on race or any other subject; as of this 6 o’clock deadline, he has yet to respond to me.

Obama speaks in cliches and empty platitudes. The bigger problem is that he thinks in them too.

petefrt on July 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM

He’s still just a Community Urganizer. Not an American President.

kingsjester on July 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Absolutely not. Yes the potus should have done exactly that, but it is really the last thing dotus Obama (deity of the United States) needs. You start healing wounds right now and what happens? The press doesn’t have any “entertainment tonite” schlock to spread all over us, and people are going to at least inadvertently notice what he’s been doing. Too many congressional hearings going on, eventually even the low functioning will take notice.
No, he reeaally needs this Al Sharpton moment. The bloodier, the better. Think about this, it wasn’t even a real news worthy, much less indictable story at all to begin with. These congressional hearings are revealing what’s been going on, he needs more of this. Much more. This Tawana Brawley moment has a martyr will be memorable. God help us.

onomo on July 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM

petefrt on July 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Worse, so do those who voted for an continue to support him.

I wouldn’t take this kind of trash from a Republican. What makes liberals think I’ll take it from a Democrat?

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:05 AM

You have to wonder where it all ends.

petefrt on July 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Eric Holder and Barack Obama are cowards, when it comes to talking about race. THey keep talking about how black people are “profiled”, people lock doors in their cars, when they cross the street. Based on history, depending on the area, that might be the prudent thing to do. However, if black men didn’t fulfill the profiling so often that would change.

bflat879 on July 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM

“Now ya’ll rally peacefully in those 100 cities…no bashin’ on the crackas…K? ” – Preezy Apotheosis of Trayvon cause Trayvon is me

workingclass artist on July 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

You have to wonder where it all ends.

petefrt on July 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I already know where it ends, going by the Book of Revelation.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

You have to wonder where it all ends.

petefrt on July 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Man is becoming more base every day. You would think, with our technology and centuries of civilization, we’d be getting better and becoming more advanced in human achievement and enlightenment.

We’re going in reverse.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

PappyD61 on July 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Sickening, isn’t it?

It seems Trayvon now holds higher standing than real heroes like Martin Luther King.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

You have to wonder where it all ends.

petefrt on July 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Silly question…It never ends.

It never ends because there must always be a grievance to unite the oppressed.

Without oppression to blame for failures…the only other option is personal responsibility and the option to rise above obstacles….and rising above obstacles requires work and commitment to lay aside the grievance.

Black men aren’t by and large prevented from succeeding by oppressive whites…anymore then womynz are prevented from succeeding by sexist males.

workingclass artist on July 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM

workingclass artist on July 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Victimhood is an industry.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

We’re going in reverse.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

We are living in an era where the Pagan has the demographic numbers…with the resulting chaos and rending of the social fabric.

workingclass artist on July 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

BuckeyeSam on July 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Role reversal.

Black neighborhood watch guy kills white kid, gets off.

Riots to start at noon. Please bring a boxed lunch, soft drinks will be provided.

Akzed on July 20, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Leave it to Ace (of Ace of Spades) to cut through the BS wonderfully.

WannabeAnglican on July 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM

CSPAN’s Washington Journal has two guys on the SYG, self-defense, and concealed carry. One is John Lott of “More Guns, Less Crime.” Odd-looking, but very knowledgeable and well prepared. The other guy is John Lowy of the Brady Center, a total tool. I don’t see how you can watch this and want to take the liberal line. BuckeyeSam on July 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Easy: people with the same emotional problems and tyrannical bent as Lowy will side with him.

Akzed on July 20, 2013 at 8:34 AM

workingclass artist on July 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Pound for pound, I think the Dark Ages were better in some ways. Despite our advancements, it seems were are becoming more primitive, emotionally speaking. Too many ‘adults’ seem emotionally trapped in pre-adolescence.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Victimhood is an industry.

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Yeah.

Obama has wreaked havoc on the success of MLK’s civil rights movement.

Why?

Well I would suspect that like Sharpton & Jackson…he cannot abide standing on the shoulders of MLK to build because all of these men are mediocre when compared to King…so they undermine through distortion the accomplishments of King and exploit the civil rights cause to line their pockets and remain relevant.

None of these three men actually address the problems within Black communities and none of them inspire anything other than resentment towards whites and actively work against solutions that might actually alleviate the breakdown of the family.

That is the root problem in the communities Black,White,or Hispanic etc…The breakdown of the traditional family and the traditional social structures that supported and advocated for the family.

workingclass artist on July 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I think the Dark Ages were better in some ways. Despite our advancements, it seems were are becoming more primitive, emotionally speaking. Too many ‘adults’ seem emotionally trapped in pre-adolescence. Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM

All things considered, I’d rather have a toothache today than in 1043.

Akzed on July 20, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Mornin’ all.

Sharpton picked a hot day for his marches. Might be thunderstorms too.

Still no mention anywhere but Drudge and Rush about the true reason Martin attacked Zimmerman.

All the newsies are afraid to talk about it.

dogsoldier on July 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

onomo on July 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Nah you’re all missing the real reason he didn’t come out and calm this down. If Zimmerman is off the news cycle, The media goes back to IRS gate, Benghazi, DHS, HHS, DoJ, and the ten other current scandals.

dogsoldier on July 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM

dogsoldier on July 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Has there been a thread here yet about that?

kingsjester on July 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Hell we might even have to talk about unemployment and the fact that the un seasonally adjusted new claims for UE are over 400k or the fact that restaurant spending is below 2008 levels, but what the heck, lets keep talking about the

Zee roh.

dogsoldier on July 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM

kingsjester on July 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Nope. It’s been mentioned by us posters a couple times.

dogsoldier on July 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Bump in the polls for the Won after his ‘historic speech’?

Kissmygrits on July 20, 2013 at 9:14 AM

bflat879 on July 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM

There’s a reason they call it “profiling“.

Solaratov on July 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Maybe they should stop calling it ‘profiling’ and start calling it “catagorizing“.

Maybe that would make the poor dears feel better.

Solaratov on July 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Liam on July 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

The next Rolling Stone cover?

Fallon on July 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM

workingclass artist on July 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I don’t think that the pagan has the demographic numbers; but they are the most vociferous. I think that the mass of people have NO firm commitment toward either the pagan or the Godly – but are just empty vessels with no beliefs to give them strength. They are just sheep, who will follow the course which presents itself as the most “pleasant” and easiest.
The Godly path requires commitment, personal responsibility and restraint. The pagan allows any and all manner of personal indulgence and requires no personal responsibility or restraint…it’s always someone else’s fault. So most people just sort of “slide” toward the easiest, most indulgent, “forgiving” side.
And, by the time that they realize the easy ‘slide’ ends in a pile of rocks called slavery – it’s going to be too late to stop. In fact, it seems as though the “powers that be” are using, not only “1984″ but Revelation, as instruction manuals rather than warnings. And the uncommitted just continue to slide…oblivious to their end.

Solaratov on July 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Unfortunately, the POTUS has publicly validated the “chip on the shoulder” that so many blacks in this country wear on a daily basis. When one takes the time to read his speech to the press, it is clear that he is pandering to the base of current and future Democrats. His words will remain with generations of blacks and be used as an ongoing excuse for unacceptable behavior in society.

He mentioned that racism hasn’t been eliminated, regardless of the progress in changing attitudes toward race. What he doesn’t mention is that the changing attitudes are neither positive or negative. My contention is that racism can never be eliminated because society tends to lump racism and prejudice together. In my opinion, prejudice is an emotion that can sometimes lead to racist behavior, and emotions are not controllable by any set of standards or laws. I don’t believe that racism will ever be eliminated, and that is something all people must understand and accept.

I am a racist and I believe most, if not all, people can and will display racist behaviors in their lifetimes. My late aunt used to decry my generation for listening to the “destructive and dehumanizing” music of the 60′s era. How could any decent male let their hair grow over their ears and perform in public? Although she rarely, if ever, listened to 60′s music, she very often would denounce the lyrics as “words of the devil”. She was simply displaying her prejudice, or shall I say her preference, for musicians and music of the 40′s and 50′s. At the same time, I display my preferences by not wanting to listen to hip-hop sounds and what is referred to as “rap”. I prefer to live in a neighborhood where respect is afforded to all homeowners, whether they be white, black, Hispanic, or otherwise. I will simply move when that respect declines in favor of overbearing cultural preferences. In other words, I don’t want to hear thumping car stereos at all hours of the day or night, I don’t want to see cars parked in the yards, I don’t want to see streets and lawns littered with trash. So I will embrace the “white flight” and move to a neighborhood of my preference. But I will be perceived as a racist for doing so, as are most white people. I can turn the situation around so that my logic applies to blacks, other whites, Hispanics, etc. so as to label them as racists. So racism is merely a label based on one’s behavior as a result of preferences.

The POTUS used some very divisive words in his speech and let me just highlight some of them:

“The African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away.”

“There are very few African American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store.”

If I may Mr. POTUS, I have experienced a fair share of unpleasant and disturbing issues from some in the black community. Twice in my life, I have been jumped and beaten by black youth for no reason other than the fact that I was white and alone. Once, while I was 5 years old, I was tied to a telephone pole in an alley and beaten until I almost passed out. Another time in a public restroom at a basketball arena, while there were no other people around except for a group of blacks, I was viciously attacked while urinating. I was cold-cocked from behind, knocked to the floor, kicked in the head, ribs and mouth. They managed to chip a tooth that I have lived with for years. My sister was abducted from a shopping center by a black male hiding in the back seat of her unlocked car, taken to a remote area where she was raped while the punk held a gun in her mouth. I seriously doubt that many black youth have experienced what I have, at least not from a member of another race.

I can guarantee you, I have been followed and watched many times in a department store while shopping. And that is a direct result of both the need for stores to be vigilant for shoplifters, and also based on my appearance. I am retired and rarely shave unless I feel the need to do so. I admit to looking scruffy at times while shopping, and believe me, I am watched from the time I enter the store until the time I leave. I understand that, expect it and I get over it before I get to my car in the parking lot. If the POTUS honestly thinks that a Walmart of nothing but white shoppers aren’t watched as vigorously as black shoppers, this would be another example of why he isn’t fit to lead a diverse nation of people.

His speech is filled with so many other examples of divisive language, and I see it as nothing more than granting excuses for unacceptable behavior. As a white, I make no excuses for the deplorable behavior and attitudes of many, many white people in America. As a black, the POTUS should not make those excuses either.

In these times, when a County Circuit judge can intervene in a Detroit Bankruptcy ruling and rule against the findings of a Detroit Emergency Manager and Michigan Governor Rick Snyder as a means of honoring the POTUS, then it is certainly time for many disgruntled citizens honor the POTUS regarding his position on the Trayvon Martin trial and outcome. The POTUS declared that the jury members were properly instructed, they rendered a verdict, and that’s how the system works. He also made it clear that the judge conducted the trial in a professional manner. So, as a fellow American citizen, I say it is time to honor much of what the POTUS had to say regarding the trial and put the Trayvon Martin saga to rest. That is not to say that continuing conversations regarding race divisions in this country shouldn’t take place, now and well into the foreseeable future, but those discussions must move beyond Trayvon Martin and delve into the root causes of racism.

metroryder on July 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

FYI, Mr.President: If ever I am driving my unlocked car, and if I see you up close, you will definitely hear my car doors lock. You scare me!

mobydutch on July 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Priceless and oh so true for me as well!

metroryder on July 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM