You’re darned right I’m thinking of running for president, says … Peter King?

posted at 6:41 pm on July 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

Seems crazy at first blush, but when you think about it, it seems slightly less crazy. Then, when you think about it some more, it seems full-blown crazy again.

A new burning question for 2016: Can Peter King top Thad McCotter’s vote haul from 2012?

“I’m going to certainly give it thought. I’m going to see where it goes,” King said during an interview with ABC News today. “My concern right now is I don’t see anyone at the national level speaking enough on, to me, what’s important – national security, homeland security, counterterrorism.”…

“I would hope that our party is not defined by Rand Paul and Ted Cruz,” King said, taking aim at conservative Republican senators from Kentucky and Texas, respectively. “I’m not crazy about Rand Paul and Ted Cruz. But on the other hand, you know, guys like Chris Christie and Jeb Bush, I have a lot of regard for.

“The big debate that Republicans seem to have in the Senate on foreign policy is whether or not, you know, the CIA was going to use a drone to kill an American in Starbucks,” he said. “To me, we should be going beyond that and we should go back to being a party – whether it’s Eisenhower, Reagan, Bush – of having a strong national defense, and that should be, to me, an essential part of the presidential debate. And so far, that’s missing.”…

“Obviously, the economy is important, but the first requirement in the Constitution is to defend the country against foreign attack and provide for national defense,” he said. “The only way that’s been brought up [so far by other contenders] is to how quickly we can withdraw troops and whether or not drones can be used to kill Americans. That, to me, is not a debate that a party of national defense should be leading with.”

First-blush crazy: He’s an obscure northeastern Republican who’ll be running against a vastly better field than the party had last year. Who’s passing over Rubio, Bush, Paul, Christie, Jindal, Ryan, and/or Walker to vote for Peter King? Take the under on the question I posed above.

Not-so-crazy rethink: He appears to be under no illusions that he’ll win. (“It does give me, at the very least, a forum to get my views out there on the direction I think the Republican Party should be following on foreign policy…”) This is a boutique candidacy aimed at ventilating an important issue, not a bona fide attempt at the nomination. If the GOP trends left on gay marriage before 2016, you may well see a social conservative candidate jump in with the same idea in mind, to keep that issue on or near center stage. Beyond that, King might be sensing that the GOP establishment is going to want a boutique foreign-policy hawk in the race to do damage to Rand Paul, just in case he’s more formidable than they expect. I made that same point about John Bolton’s nascent candidacy. There is space in this field for a hawkish stalking horse (stalking hawk?) who’s willing train his fire chiefly on Paul so that more electable establishment candidates like Rubio don’t have to. Just as it’s risky for Cheney fans and Paul fans to assume too much about which way Wyoming Republicans are leaning on foreign policy, it’s risky for a hawkish candidate who’ll need to unite the party as nominee in 2016 to brawl with Paul about interventionism in the primary. Even if you win that battle and defeat him, you risk alienating more of his libertarian supporters than you can afford to. Better to farm that task out to someone like Bolton or King who’ll enjoy jousting with an isolationist and has little to lose by doing so.

Pretty-darned-crazy re-re-think: How on earth is Peter King the best available person to play “stalking hawk”? The minimal requirement for someone who’s running a boutique campaign is that he not have liabilities that could be used to divert attention from his boutique issue. Just for starters, every time King pounds the table about enabling terrorists, Paul is going to throw his longtime exception-making for the IRA back in his face. You can fill that argument out yourself: “This is what always happens with interventionists — they end up in bed with the sort of people they claim are our enemies.” King is also the guy who dismissed conservative concerns about domestic surveillance after PRISM was revealed by comparing them to Michael Moore. And if you want to go way, way back, simply as a matter of cultural/ideological synchronicity with the base, he once told a New York newspaper that the House majority under Gingrich had “a Southern, anti-union attitude that appeals to the mentality of hillbillies at revival meetings.” How receptive will the base be to him as a salesman for hawkishness, do you think?

Speaking of unlikely 2016 candidates, Joe Biden also might be running. Exit quotation from his interview with GQ: “‘I never speak about anything I don’t know a great deal about,’ he says. ‘That I haven’t worked like hell for. But that’s not what you’d expect. You might expect Clinton to do that.’”

Comments

Uhmmmm —- no

jake-the-goose on July 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Not a freaking chance.

Hill60 on July 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

He used to be sane.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

No thanks!

squint on July 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Ohhhhhh…………..myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy……………..

Pokes fork in eye.

MontanaMmmm on July 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

New York Mumbler 2016!!!

dforston on July 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM

No, no it’s crazy!

d1carter on July 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Northeasterners always underestimate how much the rest of the country loathes them.

As soon as he opens his mouth and that guttural New York accent comes gurgling out (Sorry Allah!), he loses 45 states.

Nessuno on July 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Uhhhh, yeah. Good luck with that.

tru2tx on July 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Is he running as a R or a D?

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

He used to be sane.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

No, he didn’t.

Inkblots on July 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Michael Bloomberg is the biggest nightmare that could enter the Oval Office.

Peter King’s in second place.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Has anyone run in the primaries and got zero votes?

huckleberryfriend on July 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Bite my crank, buddeh!

squint on July 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM

He used to be sane.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Then he opened his mouth, and the first word out wasn’t “Mama” or “Dada”, but “Big Gubmint-a”.

Steve Eggleston on July 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

RickB on July 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM

His first campaign plank will be setting up TSA check points on random street corners.

Drained Brain on July 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM

All I need to hear.

sharrukin on July 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM

His Hurricane Sandy pandering was pathetic.

No chance Petey.

portlandon on July 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM

He has been awesome, except for the deal-breaking coming down on the wrong side of Snowden-NSA.

paul1149 on July 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Peter King, it is at this point a wise man puts the pipe down, and slowly backs away…

JohnGalt23 on July 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

LIV, “Who?”

davidk on July 18, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Looks a little too much like Nixon.

BKeyser on July 18, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Peter King represents my district out here “on the island”, and there’s one thing that can be said for him, both positive and negative, he does speak his mind.

Listen, after Saint Rubio has been excommunicated, there’s always hope, right???

At least he’ll get a little national exposure. :-)

HarryStar on July 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Alternate Headline:

The King who would be …

… king?

Joe Mama on July 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Um… methinks not Mr King…

The man who would be king…

Sorry, hell no…

Scrumpy on July 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Nah, they’re not going to elect any of these clowns without executive experience. And I’m a Cruz guy.

Iblis on July 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Who?
If he’s for big government, then no.
And since so many politicians from the E coast are, no matter if they call themselves Republicans, I will have to say, uh, NO.

Badger40 on July 18, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I always get suspicious when people who have no chance of winning decide to run for President. IIRC, Sharpton fleeced his campaign coffers during his failed attempt at the presidency. Even though these guys end up getting crushed, they do end up raising money. And, who really pays attention to where leftover money goes? Am I accusing King of possible future dishonesty? Maybe.

joejm65 on July 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Not a chance of winning. Of course I’ve been wrong before. Most recently the fall of 2012.

Bmore on July 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM

He openly showed he might not love Islam. He is old toast now.

BL@KBIRD on July 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

PappyD61 on July 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM

joejm65 on July 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Back when Sharpton ran, he could take the excess with him. Since then, the laws were changed to prevent the campaign fund from becoming a post-election personal slush fund.

Of course, King may want a funded-by-others extended vacation in New Hampshire and Iowa.

Steve Eggleston on July 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

This from the guy who didn’t know there are emergency distress beacons put on the border by our government for the benefit of illegals with instructions written in Chinese.

xblade on July 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Defined by Cruz or Paul……

No Petey let’s define it by losers like the Doles, Romneys and McCains.

My preference?

Palin

Cruz

Hillary Clinton

In that order.

PappyD61 on July 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM

This actually did make me LoL.

crrr6 on July 18, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

ctmom on July 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Ozprey on July 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I didn’t even have to click link, lol. Mr, 101

MontanaMmmm on July 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Is he running as a R or a D?

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I thought he would become a D when he had a hissy-fit over not getting his Hurricane Sandy pork when he wanted it. And let’s not forget the gun control bill he sought to sponsor, with one of his Democrat comrades.

rickv404 on July 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Congressmen need not apply

Valkyriepundit on July 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Christie-King, the RINO dream ticket.

redware on July 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM

My only question is what party?I bet i know .Over the last 4 years the only people this jerk has complained about are the few real conservatives in congress.

logman1 on July 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM

No Chance!!!!! If the Republicans want to win, Draft a REAL Conservative. Last few were not, liberal light at best. Tired of these “middle of the road” Republicans wanting to compromise, reach across the isle. Time to stick to our core beliefs and fight for them. Libs can move to Canada.

RandyKowalski on July 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM

*spit-take

equanimous on July 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM

isn’t this the idiot who wanted floating “gun free” zones around all politicians?

tempting … but no.

Lost in Jersey on July 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Nessuno on July 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Pretty much. The lovely pos lost me years ago with “pickup driving, gun toting, beer swilling rednecks in their wife beater t-shirts.”

arnold ziffel on July 18, 2013 at 7:58 PM

What I like about King is his staunch support of the 2nd Amendment.

/sarc off

roy_batty on July 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Oh boy. Well, at least I don’t have to give any more thought to him as a candidate. Thanks for making it easy for me Mr.King.

Dongemaharu on July 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM

NY used to have great water, have no idea what the hell they are drinking these days.

riddick on July 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Well, peter, I sure as hell hope you don’t end up defining the GOP, your definition is more of the same. I’d abide by Cruz’s definition anyday.

RoyalFlush on July 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Stop it, yer killin’ me!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I think ALL of my ribs are broken!

Resist We Much on July 18, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Hey, I think we need a primary loaded down with northeastern establishment types – and one solid conservative. Let them split the RINO vote so the conservative walks away with the nomination.

Kafir on July 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Wait. He thinks we need MORE Homeland Security?!?!?!?

KMC1 on July 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Seen this on Project to Restore America”. Thought it was interesting.

Who will win the Republican nomination to run for the 2016 election?

Response

Newt Gingrich

1.9%
Brian Sandoval

0.1%
Other (please specify)

11.5%

Top 2 Rand Paul 31% Ted Cruz 28.9%.

Barred on July 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM

King- a self-proclaimed potential presidential candidate.

mobydutch on July 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

And you’re darned right, I will never vote for him.

mobydutch on July 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

what’s important – national security, counterterrorism… guys like Chris Christie and Jeb Bush, I have a lot of regard for

What about Rubio? Why doesn’t King have Rubio on the top of his list of admired Republicans? Instead of King why not Christie / Rubio for 2016. That would be the biggest betrayer and the just the biggest.. Obama hugger and pusher of leftist climate change this side of the aisle.

King has certanly aligned with the biggest amnesty pushers, that’s for sure. There’s no way he or any other earnesty advocates are getting the R nomination. Run as a D.

And national security is no longer the R big issue. That’s not where the fight is with the Dems. Foreign policy will take care of itself. What matters is that we are heading headlong toward Greece style insolvency, and a socialist takeover from inside.

anotherJoe on July 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM

The man threatened to leave the party over not getting Sandy pork.

myrenovations on July 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Beware of law and order liberals. Peter King is a liberal with a hard on for the Police State. He will sell freedom very cheaply in favor of expanding the State.

jpmn on July 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM

No NE RINO will get my vote. If ya want a democRAT vote for a real one.

Doomsday on July 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM

A Chris Christie Republian type. Great. Just great.

Carnac on July 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM

At least he’ll get a little national exposure. :-)

HarryStar on July 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Haven’t we had enough “exposure” from NY congressmen?

pain train on July 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Three strikes against King are:
1. He’s a NYC politician with a typical tendency to myopic views about the rest of the country – Giuliani was prime case: great local understanding, but no connection with the country as a whole

2. He offered knee-jerk response to the absolute right of the government to snoop on everyone without probable cause, mistakenly believing that this is what conservative “hawks” should think

3. He’s not remotely likeable